Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can they take baby away???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Can they take baby away???

Ive been reading some posts on here about women taking pain meds during pregnancy and people saying "If your baby is born addicted they will take it away!". Really??? If the meds are prescribed and you are taking them as directed why would CPS even step in? Are you a bad mother because you are in pain and your doc prescribed you pills you thought were safe?
Nooo, melanie... i am not any expert about laws there but i just had to say that YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOTHER and as far as i know, i have read here of many cases like yours and the babies were not taken away. Please, relax about it, i don't believe at all that your baby is at any risk of being taken away, you were on pain, you were prescribed the meds, period. :)All the best to you and your baby !!
No.  Unequivocally NO.  Certainly if the meds are prescribed there is zero chance of that happening.  The situation has to be to the point that the mother's addiction is completely out of control and she absolutely cannot or will not take care of the child.  Sadly, babies are born to crack mothers every single day and they do go home with their mothers - for better or worse.  Social Services may be called in to monitor a situation like that, but how many stories do you see on the news about babies dying horrible deaths even with Social Services supposedly monitoring the family?  

No.  Civil rights still apply to both the sober and the addicted.  It's not until a law is broken that those civil rights are revoked and a child is removed from the home.  Sometimes it takes the death of a child to trigger that response from the law.  Terribly sad, but true.
i would not say there no risk but it very slim however the chances rise if the OBGYN do not know about you taking them.What are you on and how much of it .Does your ob know .It when u are not totally up front with your ob that there might be an issue but as I said it would be slim
Oh yes my OB knows! We are working on lowering my dose! I have been on percocet 10mg 4-6 times daily! My OB says it's too high and that we need to taper! I am going on Tuesday to meet my baby's future pediatrician to talk to her about what to expect! I didn't even know about the chance of addiction until I did research online then I told my OB I had read some aweful things about percocet and pregnancy! He keeps telling me not to worry but I can't help it :(
Take to your doctor about a SLOW  taper the farhter down you can get down the better . They wont take your baby you are going everything the rightway dont do to much reading of other posts becuase I think its just scaring you.The problems come when the mom has not told there doctor and the babys test postive . What type of pain are u in and how are you going to handle it >
Ive been having extreme back and leg pain for about 6 years now and the doctors say I have 5 bulging disks but dont know how it happened. So, before I got pregnant I was getting the steroid shots which i can no longer get and I was on pain meds stronger than percocet. Its very hard... im in pain every day and even now, on that dose of percocet im still in pain. I barely sleep and its horrible. But, as i lower the dose, my body gets use to the new dosage and i learn how to deal with it. I have a massage chair and i take lots of baths :)
Hi there, I am in the exact same situation as u! I'm 23weeks pregnant, with my second child. I am taking the exact same amount of meds you are. As long as you follow your doctors directions then everything should be fine! Make sure your doctor does a very slow taper, its very dangerous to go off too quick, if you go through withdrawals, your baby does, they recently tried to switch my meds to morphine, unfortunately the pain managment doctor didn't convert the does right, they cut the meds by 75percent. I experienced horrible withdrawals, I did go back to see my ob asap,(which ended up being 2days) she immediately put me back on percocets, she felt awful that it happened! She did wright the prescription, but the other doctor told her what to give. I actually was having contractions because of it all, they did slow after I switched back. I hope your meeting with your doctor goes well. I'm going to see a neonatal nurse, for her to explain what they will do for the baby when he is born, in case he does withdrawal, but they are going to be tapering my meds soon too, after I have a cortisone shot, so hopefully that will help. I understand where you could feel guilty, I do as well, I want my baby to be healthy, but if I didn't have pain control, I can't walk. But as long as you are very careful, your baby will be fine, stake care! I wish you and your baby all the best! if you wanted to talk about anything, I would be happy to try to help!
Thank you so much for your post and your story :) Its so nice to hear that I am not alone and to know that some people actually understand. I wish you and your baby the best as well! It is soooo hard to be pregnant, worried and in pain. I am sooo excited about having this baby but on the other hand, I am soooo worried that I just want her to stay in my belly! This should be one of that happiest moment of my life and it makes me really sad that this is my last pregnancy (getting my tubs tied) and i cant enjoy it.
The slow - slow - slower - the taper - the better you and your baby will be.
My OB said it would be great if I could lower my dosage to 45mg so starting tomorrow I am going to start lowering! If I can take a 1/2 instead of a whole one just a couple of times tomorrow I will be very happy!
cutting  half of each dose is not slow .U really have to go slow dicuss it with your ob like a little  every few weeks .
Not each dose... just a 1 or 2!
I dont think I could do that for each dose anyways.. OMG... i would be in sooo much pain. I was thinking maybe at night taking just a 1/2 and maybe in the middle of the day ... if i can handle it.
Thank you so much for your support by the way.
HI Melanie b/4 you start to taper talk to your O/B and let them tell you EXACTLY how much to reduce your dose and at what frequency you dont want to send you or your baby into withdrawals please check b/4 you do anything good luck with the baby and God bless....Gnarly
Melanie, I also think you should talk to your obgyn again. I read that he said if you can get your does to 45mgs, he would be happy. Is that all he wants you to lower? Or just for now? I would suggest only going down by 5mgs at a time, that's only a half pill, then let your body adjust to that for a little while. Like I mentioned before, withdrawals can cause early labor, that I know you don't want. Also, I would suggest, if possible, I know they are very expensive, if you can get your hands on a fetal heart monitor(doppler) while you taper your meds, that would be great, I have one, mine displays the heart rate, you can make sure your baby has a nice steady heart beat throughout the process! I really do understand where your coming from. I find it hard to enjoy my pregnancy, I feel guilty, weak, and heartbroken a lot of the time. But as you know, we need to be able to function! I have a 2yr old, and I'm a stay at home mom, so she relies on me for her daily care! I at least have a very support husband! I know it seems unbearable at times, but you will get through this! Believe it or not, I have a pregnancy pillow, its a huge full body one, and it does help me sleep better with the pain. Please let me know how you a feeling tomorrow, hopefully cutting such a tiny amount you won't notice much difference. Your a strong amazing women! When this baby is born, all extra pain will be worth it! I know you already know that though!
Hi Melanie.....there is a lady on Medhelp who has some great info on pain meds and pregnancy.  She just delivered a healthy baby a short time ago.  Her name is jadedsweetheart.  Check out her profile.  She has been very helpful to us here.       sara
This is sensitive to me. If prescribed then I have no comment.  But if you are expecting need to really see how bad the pain is.  Bring in baby into this world addictive is not fair.  

This isn't about you just a general comment
Most of the time the person who can't do the wd and get off meds is the one bringing a baby into the world addicted.  It bothers me when i see that.
It's not about you, just in general
Thanks everyone! Yes, my OB wants me to lower to 45mg! He doesn't really want me to taper anymore than that but I'm seeing him again next week so I'm hoping he'll be ok with me lowering some more! He just says to NOT let my body go through any type of withdrawals! So far I'm doing really well! :)
For the previous question yes my OB knows and YES they are prescribed! This was never an issue of just taking drugs it was for pain management and since I've been on them for about 6 years they felt it would be unsafe to take me off and also that the pain would cause more stress than anything! This is my 3rd child! I have a very Healthy almost 6 year old girl and a very healthy 10 year old boy!
There are people that HAVE to take pain meds even when they are pergant I think we have to remember not everyone on here is not an addict ...:)

mel, just go by what your doctor says he seems great go by he advice none of us our doctor .
Hi there.  I hope you all don't mind me chiming in here.  I am the CL of pregnancy 35+ and might be able to provide just a bit of insight.

Melanie, you are taking a prescribed medication under Dr. orders/care. You are not abusing it.  There is no risk of the baby being removed from your custody.  Percocet is a class c drug, which means it can be taken during pregnancy if the benefit outweighs the risk.  We have had many members over the years in the same position as you and have had no problems at all with CPS.  You have been open and honest with your OB. You are not abusing this medication, but taking it for necessary pain management.

Honey, this is hard I know and you are doing everything right.  CPS is not going to take your baby.  The hospital you deliver at will know what to expect and will take measures to ensure your baby has the easiest time of it possible.  He or she will be in good hands.  I am most certain this will turn out well, and baby will be fine.  You are already showing what a good mom you will be by even being concerned about this.  
Thank you for posting on here.  I also told her about jadedsweetheart's profile......sara
Adgal, Thank you so much for your post and for caring. It makes me feel so much better to have some positive feed back on this.
Little update! First of all I am doing really well and I am down to 40mg a day! Went to see the OB today and he was really happy that I was able to get down to 40mg in such a short amount of time! He said I could keep lowering as long as I stayed comfortable and that I had no withdrawal symptoms! So far everything is going well! :)
This is fantastic news Melanie!!!  Keep us updated on how you are doing~~Have a Happy New Year.         sara
I'm so sorry to be so late to this thread!  I used to be so good and on top of things but with my newborn, there's not much time to sit and browse the forums anymore!
I was on a MUCH higher dose of prescribed oxycodone.  I had to see a seperate doc for pain management and a high-risk OB.  They both monitored me, although I am the one who really had to push to even get someone to realize that my situation was special.  I was amazed to learn that there are a lot of women who are in pain management who give birth.  
My daughter was monitored for withdrawl (withdrawal) after she was born and they found none of the meds in her system and on a scale of 1-14 for any potential withdrawl (withdrawal) effects, she was a 4.  Please know that your baby will be okay.  The hardest part of my pregnancy was at the end when the pain spiked and I was SO worried my baby would suffer withdrawls.  A wonderful OB explained to me that the withdrawls my newborn would have experienced would have been nothing like adult-withdrawls.  It made me feel somewhat better but having a perfect and healthy baby after birth is what made me a believer.  You will be okay.  
I also believe in the power of prayer and that God looks out for babies especially.  I will pray for you and your baby.  Sometimes the stress that pain causes can be worse for our babies.  Please discuss that with your doctor.  I wish you all the best!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write! I know how busy you must be and I truly appreciate you writing me about your experience! It really does give me hope!
It is great to see good factual info like in jaded's post, unfortuantly like all internet forums there is alot of misinformation spread.
It is great to get some information from someone who has actually been there!!! I am hoping that I will be one of those women who can give some good info and hope like Jaded has done for me to those who are pregnant, in pain and fear the outcome!!!!!
Hello everyone! Just wanted to give another update! I only have a little over 2 weeks to go before my c-section and doing really good! At the beginning of January my OB suggested I switch to hydrocodone (vicodin) instead of percocet so my primary switched me to hydrocodone 10/325! 1 every 4 hours! Well I am now down to 1/2's 4-5 times a day and doing great! I am soooooo happy I was able to lower my dosage so much without any problems! My OB doesn't think my baby will have any problems!!!!! :)
I am sure that your baby will be ok,......Good luck and all the best to both, mother and baby !!!!!!!!! :)
Melanie,

This is great news--I am really happy for you. So what are you going to do to manage your pain in the future? Did your doctor give you any suggestions?
Thanks guys :)
As far as the back pain after I have the baby the doctor thinks I may be able to have surgery! What is happening is my bones are rubbing together in my back so my Primary said they might be able to put balloons in between the disks to keep that from happening! So I'm gonna have to find a good surgeon! In the past they haven't wanted to do anything because they say I'm too young! So hopefully I can find a good doctor who will agree to do something!!!!!!!
I am really happy for you Melanie.  Please let us know when you can when the baby is here!!  Are you all ready for baby?  My daughter received lots of newborn diapers and my granddaughter weighed 9lbs11oz!!  Needless to say she was in the 1's real fast!!
I was in terrible pain during pregnancy and mt obgyn prescribed me percoset fives. I took it everyday until she was born. She wasn't born addicted to them.
I am going shopping this weekend for the baby stuff I still don't have! Car seat, basinette and a few clothes :) I'm getting sooooo excited!!!! Of course I will keep you guys posted! I hope I can help pregnant women like myself in the future!!! :) this forum is awesome! Everyone has been so great to me!
I cant believe how much they want for baby stuff.   I still cant figure out how those car seats work!!  My daughter just looks at me and shakes her head!! lol  
I know!!!! It's crazy how much baby stuff is! This time I went on craigslist! I got tons of stuff for only $20! Babies grow so fast so it's nice to get used stuff too! But it's also fun to go shopping for brand new things! I'm so excited to go buy stuff for my baby today :)
Congrats on the grand baby!!!!!! Babies are such a joy!!!!!
We have Once Upon a Child around here and that store is really nice.  It's nice to buy some new things.  I know JCPenneys usually has good sales on like onesies and such and those you will go thru as it seems more comes out the diaper than stays in!!!
Great news!  What could possibly be worse than worrying about your newborn being taken away!  In the county I live in Texas, I would not be surprised at all.  Take the baby right before the lynching ...
Yeah it turns out I was worried for nothing! I talked to my OB about my fears and he told me not to worry about that at all! I guess if my baby was born addicted they could call CPS but all they would have to do is look into my personal things and see I was prescribed the meds! And in NO WAY am I abusing them! I'm alloud to take 1 every 4 hours and I only take a 1/2! Also, my primary wrote me a note (just in case) that says I've been under her care for years and that I am taking pain meds under her care! I gave a copy to my OB so it's in my file and I have a copy for the hospital (just on case) but at this point I highly doubt I will need it! I have a feeling everything will be fine!
Try not to even think about it.  Just put it into your mind that all will go well, and it will.  We have enough to worry about.  This is  one of the biggest and most wonderful blessings you will have in your life ... focus on the joy of that!

When my children were very young, I had very high triglyceride levels ... probably genetic and I did always have quite the sweet tooth.  Years later when I was gathering my medical records, I read a note in my file:  mother of three small children - probably heavy drinker, watch for signs!    HAha, I never drank ... not a drop!  Don't let the opinions or judgements of others get you down.  You know your situation and you do not have to make excuses for them or justify them.  Look forward to that beautiful baby!
Warmest,
Gigi
CONGRATS MOMMA!!! I am VERYproud that you've been diligent and worked hard to get the meds down! I will be praying that you android baby will be fine and you will all be home and well soon.

I'm a proud mom to7 yr old triplets and need pain meds when my condition gets really bad! I was on a few percocet for about half of my pregnancy with them. They were all born fine, no with drawl at all. I would expect your baby to require a little medication after birth but I am sure the baby is going to do amazingly well. My babies are 7 now and are smart as whips!!

Will you be nursing your baby??
I forgot to mention...

Look into a TENS machine! I LOVE mine and it really helps with my pain. :-)
Yes I will be nursing! I also have a TENS Unit but it never really worked for me for some reason! I don't really like it either!!! I do have a massage chair that is awesome but this late in the pregnancy it is hard to use since I'm so huge!
Anyways, my OB doesn't seem to think my baby will have any problems at all! But it could happen! He said he delivered a 10 pound baby a month ago who was dependent on percocet! He said the mom had taken a lot of it and that baby had to stay in the NICU for 5 days! But there's other women who have had to take it and their babies were fine so I dont know! Every pregnancy is different!
Update! My beautiful daughter was born on Feb 14th withdrawal free :)
I feel so blessed and I am extremely happy! I am very thankful to all of you who were there for me!
hey, CONGRATS, Melanie... and what for a beautiful date to be born ? .... I am really happy that everything went all right and your girl is here and without any complications, GREAT !!!! :)
Melanie !!   Congratulations Sweetie!!   What wonderful news!!   Can you tell us what you named her?

Sara will be so happy to read this...as well as everyone else!!

♥
Oh i think i am going to cry!!  Congrats on your beautiful baby girl~~~~~~

Please stay in touch Melanie and let us know how you and that precious little girl are doing.  sara
Thanks guys :) Its been a wonderful week! Her name is Cayline! Pronounced (K-Line) :)
I will put a picture up soon!
I will definitely keep in touch! You guys were so great and so supportive when I was in need!! Thanks so much!
So happy for you and for little Cayline. You did great seeking out advice and support. She is so blessed to have you as her Mom. There is no greater feeling in the world than being a parent.

Congrats!
Congrats. But I wouldn't post a picture online.  You just never know.
Thank you, and yeah.. you're probably right :)
My sister in law was in a horrible accident about 10 years  ago she metal rods in her leg. and hips. I cant even imagine how painful that is.  But over the years  she began taking alot of methadone she had a doctor prescribe 330 pills a month of methadone she would finish the bottle in two weeks. Well shes pregnant now she no longer has the same doctor and she replaced her pill addiction for meth but when she found  out she was pregnant she went back to pillss full throttle.  Worried about her and her baby I dont know what to do.
I am in the legal field and know for a fact your child will not be taken away!  Especially if you are being prescribed the meds.  You just be the best mom you can and dont worry about things like that   You have enough on your plate!  Take care and enjoy that lil one   When u due?
I worked for many years in a newborn intensive care unit.  I've seen almost every kind of addicted baby there is. I have to say that the babies born to methadone moms were in the worst trouble.  None of them died   We took good care of those babies and they got better.  If your baby has a problem, it will get better.  One tip I can give is to breast feed.  That way the baby gets a small dose of whatever it is you're taking.  It relieves the baby, comforts you and as you wean the baby slowly the baby will slowly wean off the drug.  The one thing you might get is some "down their nose" looks from the nursing staff.  Just F--- 'em! They won't take your baby away unless maybe you're living under a bridge or something.  Find a doc you can trust to look out for you.  Keep your chin up...PS. I'm also a Vicodin addict trying to stop.  Addicts come in all shapes and sizes.  It'll be ok
Hi great I want you to take care of my baby. I also work in a NICU and see these baby's all the time as well. I also work on a general peds floor and see these babies come in years later with learning disabilities. Beleive me the crying is the least of your worries. I would do all that you could do to take as little as possable and to try and get off the meds all together.
Hey Hucks, just wanted to point out this thread is from 2010 and you responded to a year old post. Sometimes new people post on old threads, but you have to watch the dates to be sure. Just trying to help.

------Old Thread------please start a new thread for yourself.
Look forward to knowing you.