Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Can you be addicted to Lortabs & not have withdrawals?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I really need some answers to some addiction questions.  My daughter's friend has been living in our
home for a year and we have just realized she was stealing my disabled husbands lortabs!  
Do you have to take a certain amount a day to be considered addicted?
Do you have to take lortabs everyday to be considered addicted?
Does everyone have withdrawals?
She is trying to get into a rehab center but I have not even noticed a withdrawal symtom.
(It has been 3 days since her last pill)
I am very confused.  She says she is very sorry and she is addicted.
Thank you in advance.
Tags: Addiction
Addicted is more of behavior based than numbers. The only real way to find out if she may be faking this would be to know how much she took. It's very hard to say if she was addicted without other information. But, I can answer the withdrawal question..yes, some people do quit moderate habits with little or no withdrawals. But, it's rare. How many lortabs were missing? What strength?
sure people can be addicted and not go through withdrawls.. its not about the amount used or how often necessarily.. its about the behaviors associtated with the use that makes someone an addict. Stealing pills is a good sign she is addicted. You don't have to use everyday to be considered an addict. Like Ga Gay said above its alot more about behaviors than how much someone used. And ultimately only she can say whether or not she is addicted.
she could be getting them somewhere else.  if she is stealing .......god help her....from a  disabled individual......she may still be on them.  only speculation on my part, of course.
Sounds like you're not going to get the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  She may or may not be getting them elsewhere...If she is not manifesting in w/ds and not getting them elsewhere then she is not having w/ds.  The fact that she stole them from your disabled husband is certainly not very cool.  She may be using the addiction story as an excuse to get your sympathy to get away with the thefts so far.  How hard has she been trying to get into rehab.  She may be making that up too.  She could very well be an "addict" in the sense that she steals dope to get high, and probably not just from your house, but she is not necessary physically addicted.  Maybe shes just not very good at stealing them so not successful enough times to get physically addicted.  None of this excuses her behavior...Perhaps give her the benefit of the doubt for now, and keep counting the lortabs.   If you push her one way or another she will push back, its human nature.  Try this trick to see what I mean by that.  Ask a friend to hold her hand up with the open hand facing you.  Hold yours up to show her/him how.  Then take your hand and gently push on hers/his.  You will notice (9 out of 10 times) that the person will instinctively push back.   Try it, its fun.
Sheesh, there goes my too fast typing.   My 3rd sentence the last phrase should be "she is not addicted" not she is not having w/ds.    
Thank you so much for answering!  They are Norco 10's and it has been over a span of a year and we can only guess that it has been about 100.  We really thought it was someone else because she was so convincing.  She is a a very sweet person.  That is why I am feeling soooo confused.
I wish she was a mean witch and then I might be able to deal with it better...LOL  
Slide I really never thought that she could be still taking them! Very good point!  I really don't think she has a hook-up for them.  But then again, I could be so wrong.  She is a very kind and sweet person.  So, it has been very hard for me.  Oh, the lortabs are locked up and she will be leaving today for a rehab facility or be leaving the house,  (they are still looking for a facility and boy is it hard to find one that will take her!) I mean without money!  I guess you have to a wealthy addicit to get help....LOL  
basically, if shes stealing them, shes an addict. thats my two cents. non addicts dont steal pills from other people.
Unless she's stealing them to sell them. Seems that's a big thing in schools now. Those things bring big bucks for kids who use them recreationally on weekends. God..when I was younger we used to think getting cigarettes was a big deal :)
where were those kids when I was in High School?
good point ga guy
Well, in a way we are saying the same thing....Yes she has presented with "Addict" behavior by stealing the pills.  I was drilling to deep like I do sometimes, by saying that she is not physically addicted, if she has gone days without, IF she has gone days......Bottom line is that it was WRONG to steal pills from anyone, must less a disable fellow that needs them.  In my weird mind, I think someone can be an addict without being addicted AND a person can be addicted physically without being an addict........My 2 cents.
but thats true tho. not your weird mind and stop thinkin yer weird mister!
Very good point...i didn't think of that...i know someone's child that was doing that and getting 7 dollars for one..Stealing from his grandparents medicine cabinet...The only reason he said he was taking them, is because he didn't want to get his friends in trouble, or something else...
i am leaning more towards that now..
nonnie--have you noticed her buying anything? cloths ?? or saying someone gave it to her as a gift...
just a guess
but hope all goes well
u seem like a sweet heart...And if she is that sweet i would have a hard time too!!!
Every child deserves a second chance..Shoot I am not a child an derserve a second chance..
r2r
I'm trying sweet lady.   My head doc appt. is Tuesday, tomorrow, so I will get to spend one professional hour on just that subject....I can't wait.
well make it count! cuz youre paying for it! and I gave you some ammo so NO excuses and I wanna hear about it later. :) Gosh, I feel like a sponsor. teehee
I guess you are right! That was simple and in a nutshell!
Oh and by the way she is not a child.  She is 30 yrs. old!
But her kindness and gentleness is very childlike.  
She is also Bi Polar and has depression.  She is medicated for both
and that really suprised me that she would take the lortabs with
all those other meds.  But I am learning alot right now.
Well in a way you are my sponser, for my sanity....That's ultimately what I am working on, my sanity...I've been "close to the edge" since after my parents death....no grief, just relief, guilt, and shame......I knew there was something wrong with that picture, went through 2 bad shrinks, and finally found this nice caring Lady (Wouldn't you know it would be a lady.  I think guy shrinks can be competitive, even with their patients, want more to come off as holier than thou)......Well I fired the guy, after he told me I need to lose some weight in my tummy to get in better shape, then had to reach down to get his notes to call me "by my name" because he didn't remember it.....Shithead.. For the kind of money we pay these folks they should learn our names "before" we walk into the room.  That was during my 2nd visit anyway.  

Bettie1976 you have given me a target for todays session, a target that has needed work for some time.  I bet she will be shocked, because she knows the tough, confident me......Ahhhh, maybe she's already seen through that and will just be proud that the esteem issue is being brought up.....I won't take the credit for it though, that goes to you.......

I will advise.