Cannot metabolize alcohol?
Why do I feel ill (headache) soon after drinking even small amounts of alcohol, everytime, such as 1/2 beer or more?
I'm 52 now and have noticed this over the past 10 years.

When I was younger I must have had a good tolerance and
sometimes did not even have a hangover the next morning.

Now, the "hangover" starts within an hour of consuming pretty well any amount of booze - whether it's beer, wine or cocktails.

People think I am antisocial because I drink only water when
I go out and always have to explain why I'm not boozing it up with everyone. The last time I did party I suffered horribly the next 2 full days - what a waste of time! No more from now on...

Lay people said that I must have a problem metabolizing alcohol and that I should get my liver tested thoroughly. Suggestions?
my mom and i were alcoholics..Beer was our DOC ..i have stopped there is almost 2 yrs..But only to pick up another bad habit..Anyways, my mom stopped because when she was about 54 she would get the worst hangovers the next day that she could not function, and she said it just was not worth it..Even one beer..where before she could put down a case no problem..She always says now that it was a god sent for her..For me i was destryoying my kids and had to make a choice..but like i said only to start another bad habit that i am trying desperatly to kick.
Good luck to you
Don't drink its nobody elses business i you don't drink tell them you don't need to to have a good time that will shut them up.  I don't drink since I had alcohol posioning booze sucks it makes a pig out o the nicest person I hate booze.