Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Cocaine Addiction Medication therapy

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Cocaine Addiction Medication therapy

Help
Does anyone know a physician that prescribes modafinil/provigil for cocaine addiction?  My son has been through 3 inpatient rehabs and is willing to try medication along with therapy to get clean as he continues to relapse.
The book healing the addicted brain discusses sucess with this treatment but I have no idea how my son can get started as typically this is prescribed for Narcoplepsy and mainly be used in clinical research for cocaine abuse.
We live in Maryland and I have been unable to find a research study in the area.  
Also any other medication out there that can help with this type of an addiction?
Any feedback is appreciated
I hope that you take this correctly.....Provigil is a stimulant similar to amphetamines. It may be prescribed by any Physician. But its use for coke is way off label. Even with a very long history with coke I dont know what to think. I feel that a strong clue lies in your own post. That would be...."is willing to try medication along with therapy....." .  Most of us druggies look outside ourselves for a quick answer. IE : methadone, sub, and antabuse.....things like that. But the answer lies within the addict. Unfortunatly there is no easy way out. When we start saying "I will do anything to quit...." we are starting to get real. Not sure if you want to try to replace the coke with provigil.....and thats probably what would happen. Check out ----  clinicaltrials.gov ----- and you will be able to find all trials in your area. It took my suppliers getting busted for me to wake up - - and my suppliers were in South America....................
I have only read about provigal and never saw much success with it to treat cocaine addiction. I am a coke addict myself and just like eagle said there is no easy way out when it comes to quitting. Most of us have to make a lifestyle change and get continued support to stay clean. I relapsed over and over and over for years, but when we are truly ready to stop, then it can and will be done. How long did he stay in inpatient treatment? Did he have any aftercare, meetings/counselling after treatment? Feel free to send me a message anytime. Would he be willing to come on here for some help and advice?