Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Codeine Withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 201-214 comments:
I'm so glad to find so many people with the same addiction to codeine as me. I've been taking them for over 10 years. I am now 32. I never exceed recommended dose but am constantly thinking when I can have my next one. Like other people have said in the uk we can also buy codeine over the counter.

Me and my partner want to try for a baby so enough is enough I need to sort myself out! He has no idea to my addiction and I have no intention of telling him, I feel stupid & don't want anyone to know.

Over the past two wks I have weaned my dose down and today is my first day without. I feel constantly thirsty, my kidneys ache, I have stomach ache and have a headache. Is this normal and how long will it last?
im starting to realise i may have a serious problem with codeine and oxycodone. Since a micro discectomy in october last year i have been prescribed per month about 120 panadeine forte  (30mg codeine) and 20 endone (5mg oxycodone). About three months after the surgery i started to recover from the surgery and didnt need to take so many pain killers ( i still received my prescriptions but stockpiled the drugs), but when uni started again i had to move around alot i was in alot of pain which led me to take more.  over the last few months everytime i get an endone prescription ill stay at home make excuses of studying to not see my Grilfreind and friends and the box will last a couple of days, then for about a week after ill be taking large amounts of codeine. this happens once a month and if really affecting my life. only after reading the posts of others have i realized that its a problem i suffer from too. writing this and reading it back to myself   is very sobering.
Hi all im an ex soldier who started taking codien 30mg for chronic ***** ect i quickly found that i when from taking 8 a day strait up to 25 tabs a day for about a year. i eventualy when and saw my doc who weened me of at a rate of minus 2 a week. but i have also been bying over the counter ones to and taking 4 fore times a day of them to thease are the 8/500mg cocodamol i am know down to 4 tabs a day including what i was bying but this week i lost my script so i have had none this week and have and is still going through the withdrawalls and i feel like crap but its been 5 days now and i had a moment of madness today when i was up and down in mood and having constant panic attaks. i have post tramatic stress etc witch dont help. as you can see from my spelling and writing im suffering. i just wanted to say to all the people that are thinking of quiting. STOP BEING A PRAT!!!! and quit all ready go see ur doc,medicen man, voodoo whatever or just go cold turky. all it feels like is the flu or in the case of men man flu. IT AINT THAT BAD AND WE HAVE ALL HAD THE FLU HAVENT WE. the reason i didnt go cold turkey in the first place is because of my mental state BELIVE ME I GO A BIT NUTTY. just take a look at how severe your addiction is YES ADDICTION PEOPLE THATS WHAT IT IS!!!  and judge if you think your going to have major probs coming off this stuff YOU KNOW YOUR BODY SO YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW YOU WILL RESPOND TO THE WITHDRAWALLS. IF YOU THINK IS GOING TO BE BAD SEE UR DOCTOR AND GET HELP. i have read a lot of forums about this and am also sick of people saying that you shouldnt take that much paracetamol etc and that you should do cold water extraction on the tablets befor you take them DONT. GO SEE YOUR DOCTORS AND BE ONEST WITH THEM TAKING TOONES OF PARACETAMOL WILL EVENTUALY MAKE YOUR LIVER EXSPLODE (my spelling again) the doctor will put you on codien phosphate with none of the nasty stuff paracetamol ect. GOOD LUCK TO ANY ONE WHO TAKES THE JUMP AND QUITS. (Sorry about the rant and rave but atleast it took my minde of the withdrawals for a hour.)
17 days ago I found out that my husband has had a long addiction (4.5 Years) to Tylenol 1's.  He has been taking 40 pills in the morning and 40 pills in the evening for the past two yeaars or so.  doing the math quickly thats 640 mg of codeine and 26,000 mg of acetaminophen a DAY.  I took him to the ER after I found out, they did blood work, and an ultrasound and were surprised to find that he hadn't done any damage yet to his liver or kidneys.  The ER doctor put him on two different withdrawl (withdrawal) meds that he was to take for 10 days.  He wants to recover, or so he says.  I don't know if I can beileve him that he has been drug free for the past 17 days, because if it was so eaasy for him to lie to me all this time, how on eaarth would I ever know if he wasn't being truthful?  He has had very mild withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, the first two days or so he had a headache, and he has had the odd minor pain here and therem but other then that.... nothing.  He finished his withdrawl (withdrawal) meds a week ago, I had been thinking that maybe he would experience more after he came off them, but.... nothing.  Am I naive in thinking that he is really detoxing?  Why does it appeaar to be so easy for him and so difficult for so many others?
i know alot of people with this addiction and i know instead of going cold turkey your doctor should be able to perscribe or refer you to someone that can get you suboxone tabs or strips for your symptoms they last all day and they are you to treat opiate addiction ask your doctor. i heard it works really good. but i have never had to take them thankfully
hope this helps everyone goodluck
HI.
I have been taking pian killers for about 4years. the first time i took one was when i had a very bad toothache. i took one..and the pain was gone and it also gave me a buzz. i liked the way it made me feel..so i took another one the next day..and an other the next day. and one day i sprained my ankle and the doctor gave me tylonal #3s that when i started taking them, so now its been 4yaers..im taking 4 to 5 pills a day. This is scary to think about. Im scared..i want to get off them..it seem i have to take more as time goes by. I read all the comments and see how many others took. i dont want to take more then i do now..i need help and i know it, Im just too ashamed to bring it out to anyone. i tell myself each week that im gonna start less but that never happens i end up taking more. when im going thro a rough day i take more. When the doctor gave them to me. she never explained about this medication. each visit she just starts writing this priscription (prescription) and doesnt seem to have time for me. so i guess i need to find another doctor. Thats where im at right now. i didnt start the detox process yet. I will have to stop. no one else can do it for me. I have to make up my mind to quit and live a healthy lifestyle. because i know this is hurting my body and i need to step in and put a stop to it. and im so glad i found this site. it really helped my alot..know what to exspect (withdrawls) im scared but i have to do it.

hi evbody am new 2 this sight. av had a painkiller addiction for bou 4 yrs now but its only the last yr it has bn out of control. a was thing 16 codrydamol tablets a day at my worse 30/500. but was tkn 8 codryde and the rest was dehydrocodine dfs 4 short wich i was buyin off smbody . am down 2 8 a day now coz i went to my docs n said a had a probleme and the person i was gtn them off disapeared. but i really would like 2 gt off these things all 2gther but am scared of not coping as i have 2 kids and work part tm. i also have anziety problems and been on diazapan 4 that wich the doctor stoped. any advice would be appreciated xx
Hi Joolsjulie,
I'm sorry that nobody has replied to your post on the 1st Dec.

I had been on a increadibly high dose of analgesics that included over the counter codeine/Ibuprofen combo, serapax and tamazepam (benzodiazapines) and tramal. I suffered from chronic anxiety, major depression and physical chronical back pain. At the peak of my addiction, I was taking 30 codeine/ibuprofen tabs, 30mg serapax, 1 to 5 tamazepam (to sleep) and 10 tramal capsules due to the high tolerance my body had built up. I finally blacked out one day and split my head open, so I fessed up to my Doc and he put me on the state methadone program. They put me on 60ml of methadone syrup once a day and 25mg of Diazepam three times per day.

I first weened myself off the diazepam over a period of some months and then began with the methadone. The methadone took six months, as I couldn't reduce it any more that 5ml every two weeks.

I believe that reducing slowly is the best and safest way if you can control your urges to overdose. It means that you can go about your everday activities without to much discomfort. You will have to experiment to find out how much you can reduce, and also the time period. For me, my body was able to become used to the lower dose every two weeks. At the beginning, I tried to reduce by 10ml, but I soon was experiencing horrible withdrawals that had me calling my case manager to increase the dose to 60ml again. Two weeks later I tried only a 5ml reduction, and I could cope with that, but my body would take two weeks to adjust to a lower dose.

Unfortunately, I had a major back op last year, and I was prescribed oxycontin for post op pain. At the same time, I was going through a very stressful break up with my partner, so the combination of those two things has lead to addiction once again.

I'm kicking myself that this is happening again, although not to the same degree. However, while I have been able to get over the emotional pain, the pysical pain of withdrawal and also of another major physical problem is pretty severe.

Anyway, I hope that I have given you some hope, as you can do it, all you have to remember is not to give up....even if you fall back occasionally, keep pushing forward when you can. Believe me, you will be free of this, just as I know that I will be also. It just takes time and persevereance.

Wishing you well, and I'm sending you power and the energy to overcome your addiction.

geo

here is my experience I went to the doctor because i had a bad tooth ache that was really getting bad to deal with, but I knew it was only temporary.

I said i need something stronger than normal painkillers to take care of this. So he gave me codapane forte. This has 500mg paracetamol and 30mg codeine phosphate.

When I took this, I was really suprised, it felt like pure herion through my blood. I have never had herion, but it felt like my body was just constantly having an orgasm kind of feeling. I thought this is too much pleasure.

I was still having the toothache after a few days so I got more of it. You may think why didnt i go to a dentist. Well first i hate dentists so much i had bad experience with them trying to put fillings in my teeth when i didnt need them. So unless i know for sure i need to go i dont. And the toothache has since gone away and is fine now.

But anyway afterawhile i got addicted to this pleasure feeling it was giving me. I went back for my I think 4th packet of it. (the doctor so does not care and just gives a script away without thinking about anything)

So this will be my last packet im going to get. And I can tell you I think its the codeine in this, that is really really bad. I only ever took the recommended dose. Most I ever took was 8 in a day. But my body sure got use to it fast. I still get the pleasure feeling. But I tried to ease back on it reading some of the stories here and havn't taken any for a day. When I don't take it, my legs ache, and i feel weaker, i get flu symptoms and sometimes sorish head. and feel jittery and feverish. It's actually terrible.
feel like a junky, and I havn't even been taking much of it. But they feel like herion pills or something. When i get the withdrawels i think wow this stuff must sure be bad. I ended up taking it not for my toothache but for the europhic high it was giving me.

Don't take this stuff. Try only have normal painkillers and thats it. Cause Im telling you it's like using drugs, full on.

Now im going to have to go through withdrawel when this packet is finished like a junky. Just a warning to people.

I have been addicted to codeine now for about 2 years - 1 year has been full on, sometimes up to 600mg of codeine per day.  It destroyed my relationship, and is destroying my relationship with my child.

I made a new years resolution for no more codeine and am now on day 3 without codeine (although it is still only 11am in the morning in Aus.  I feel like **** - had a horrible sleep last night and I feel like I am coming down with the flu, a constant dull headache and feel incredibly depressed.  I am determined to hang in there but I have no support (since my fiance basically left me because of the problems my addiction was causing).  I would love some comments from ppl who have been through this and how their lives are now.  I suffer from depression but I am unsure if it is worse because of my addiction (I have had it before) or whether it is legitimate depression.  The anti-depressants I am on give me no emotion at all.
Now that I am going through the withdrawals I feel like I am going through all the emotional pain I was trying to aviod when my fiance left (which is when it got worse).  I feel like the break-up was last week rather than 12 months ago.
Can anyone help with some encouraging advice?
Hi just wondering how you are going with the codeine,im new to this forum but i too have a codeine addiction i have started todat without any my doctor gave me slow release tramadol that stops the horrible withwrawals and diazapen to help sleep so i have decided i am sick and tired of trying to go buy them having the money trying not too go to the same chemist to often or they start asking questions over it so day one for me,,please llet e no how u are doing  .....
Hi there, to all: It is day 3 now from being on  a Codeine kick for 6 months. It was one of the worst  things i have felt. but now being 3 days sober  and it is going away.
Keep going....the worst thing is just the no sleep part...and ur going to be very hyper and your going to think it will never be over...but the 3rd day when u sleep for the first time rather if its a hr or 4 and wake up Sober!!! You feel so different. even though I know im still in withdraws still on hyper side but hey im a 105lbs 33 woman so yea im naturally hyper doesnt help but i do know im going to wake up even better tomorrow...
hi your going great ...i no when i went cold turkey i didn't sleep a wink and the restless legs drove me crazy...but tomorrow i am going to try again and think positive thoughts and keep reading peoples posts as it makes you feel that were not on our own...and i keep trying until i do it...Goodluck....
I have been using Tylonel 3 for almost 2 years.  I was taking 7-10 pills daily.  I have weened myself down to one a day over the last week.  Question.....how long does it take to feel "normal" again???!!!???  I keep having hot & cold sweats night & day, and my body feels like crap!!
Thanks to all of you......day 11 of cold turkey for me; its been SO reassuring reading about other people with MY symptoms. Nobody warned me what to expect (even though I'd paid for a private consultation) but Dr did say 'You'll hate me for 2 or 3 weeks'  
Anyway Ive had most of the symptoms mentioned but was really concerned about the pains in chest/shortness of breath thing but now I feel calmed. Still not sleeping well and keep feeling nauseous but hopefully it can only get better.
Any suggestions what to take for my chronic migraines now!?
Thanks again for the help Josie-Marie
very good luck to you, you can do it the depression is only a sympton it will go soon and then you will be the happiest you have been in a long time
Hi all went for a day and night without codeine and brought some the next day.trying again tomorrow will i ever get off this merry go round i am so sick of i just need to tell my brain i don.t need them i don't want them...im looking to go to ameeting next week ...This forum is a godsend to no that i am not on my own..Goodluck to you josie-marie your going great

I've not long had a discectomy and have been on cocodomal 30/500 (codeine 30mg and paracetomal 500mg) 2 tablets four times a day as well as nurofen plus which has 12.8mg codeine in per tablet- four tablets four times a day. The pain was so bad before and for a while after the op and the above pain relief were just about holding it at bay. I have started to come off the codeine bit by bit and have now got down to co-codomal 30/500 2 tablets twice a day and nurofen plus 4 tablets twice a day. I am feling achy and rough after 5 days of a halfed dose. Does anyone know should I be looking to cut the dose in half again now or wait until my body settles from the previous dose halving?
I am on antidepressants and have been for a number of years. I take amitriptiline for the nerve pain I still experience in my back and this seems to stop me from having any depressive symptoms. I can recommend this for those suffering from lowered mood.
I am so glad I am not alone in the codeine battle. It is such a horrible place  to be in where you need the meds for the pain but then the meds themselves cause a load more problems too.
Day 3 with tapering down on the codeine tomorrow be 4 so thats 4 less im taking a day can;t wait until im down too none..But finding it ok at the moment as long as i stick at it because i really need to stop  they have been making me feel sick lately so i will stick at this...It dos'nt seem as scary tapering off them than trying too just stop plus no w/d at the moment..Thanx 4 everybodys help  pebbles
Why i had to quit

I Used to have a problem with codeine,  i even tried to kill myself using it about 9 months ago. i took 35 Panafen Plus (avail. over the counter in Aus and has codeine in it) as well as 20 phenergan, which is an antihistamine (helps with allergy's and motion sickness) that has a side effect that makes you very drowsy, if i took 2 alone of the phenergan any other day i have fallen asleep easily and the first time i took it i drove home and almost crashed my car twice. as well as those two i drank a bottle of wine.

I remember feeling, very high when it all started to kick in then very very tired. after about 45 min ( i kept watching to clock) my pj's became very very itchy, not being able to take it anymore i took them off and turned on the aircon and fan but still with no releif. from there i just got hotter and hotter to the point where i was sweating. I went to the bathroom to shower and looked in the mirror, my head was spinning and i could barely walk or see straight. my head was buzzzing but when i looked in the mirror i was bright red, and i am talking about macdonalds red, from head to toe.

I was worried about it, but at the same time i knew that it want good for me and that is what i wanted. I had the stangest idea that when eventually someone found me i didnt want to look gross, so i somehow managed to wash my hair and shave my legs. as soon as i got out, i fell to the floor and hit my head. I lay there for a while but once again, i didnt want to be found laying on the bathroom floor naked.  i managed to get back to bed and literally collapsed on to it. All i could remember was how much i loved my now boyfriend and that i wished i had done more to do anything, i thought about how my friends and family would  try and contact me and that it could be days before anyone got worried enough to come over because i had a habit of not being the most reliable person to contact. I remember seeing a light and thinking that this was it; that it was all finally over.

When i woke up the next morning i was disappointed, and as soon as i sat up it became that i was going to be feeling the effects. it took me 2 days to be able to get from my room to the kitchen because i was that ill, i was extreamly thankful that the bathroom was right next to my room.

It was five days before i left the house and longer than that before i was able to function.

I eventually told my now boyfriend, who had tried the same thing a long time before (I had been the one to find him), and he took it hard, and i managed to tell my best friend as well. Six weeks after i had tried to kill myself i went to my doctor and asked for help. While i hadn't tried again the thought is always in my mind.

9 months later i have been seeing a psychologist and it has helped. I still have the urge to take the codeine but not for the same reason, went i took them i felt free and happy but when i look back at what has happened in the last 9 months i wouldnt have traded for anything, including my life. it hasnt been an easy road, and i dont pretend that from this point on my life will be easy but at the end of the day the memories that i wouldnt have had, and the things that i have learnt are far more important that a drug. its not easy, at first it is very very hard but slowly things are getting easier.

If my suicide attempt had worked i would not be expecting my first baby, nor would i have reached my 21st birthday.

The only advice i can say is that keep trying, use what ever method you can, even if that means failing a few times, as long as you try and eventually find your solution that is all that matters.

There are many things that havent happened yet and using codeine would have prevented me from living them
wow you have come along way by the sounds of it congrats on expecting your first baby....i am day 5 with tapering so still going ok finding it the best way for me..i actually woke up this morning and got up had a shower as i have a few things to do today and catch up with a couple friends..normally i would wake up with a feeling of dread come over me and think i can;t do all those things today but it was the panafen doing that too me..Even tho i'm down 5 days today i feel so much better knowing i'm doing something about it and i feel ok...just hope i can one-day come back and say i have done it i'm not taking them anymore ....
Hi, great to hear about your tapering, keep up the good work and hang in there.

Cindy
Thanx cindy im feeling good one day at a time hey..hope ur doing ok  Deb
hi kim i dont know how long ago you put up this post. im on day 7 of cold turkey, taking at least 40 nurofen plus a day. my mind feels better but i still feel like ive no energy, although im better than what i was. i will never take them tabs again i was taking them for four years.
Just wondering... does anyone else think that it is OK to take a few Nuerofen Plus tablets a day?...say x4  12mg at a time just for a bit of energy or a concentration aid? They could almost be used it as an anti anxiety aid. If you eat well and take all your vitamins whats the problem with it?
I have been using codeine in this fashion for 6 years. Does it do any damage? I have full blood tests every 6 months and there is never any abnormal readings an d my organs are OK
I haven't read anyone else post that they are content and happy to continue with their codeine use and actually enjoy it. What do you think of my view on codeine...do i have a problem?
For those of you who can't sleep: Benadryl is a relatively benign OTC med that will help you sleep. Doctors like to prescribe stuff like Ambian and anti-anxieties to aid sleep, but they can have bad side effects, especially anti-anxieties, which can cause depression and can be habit forming.

I happened to stumble upon this site and it's horrible how many people are addicted to this stuff. I've always had an addictive personality and have had problems with drugs when I was younger. Even though I don't do any drugs, I'm definitely prone to prescription drug abuse. It's weird, because I've had these T3's in my closet forever, from some past surgery or toothache or whatever. Haven't touched them in five years. Now my back is killing me every day so I started to to take the pills. After like three days all I wanted was to take them every day. I'm only on day 10 or so and I realize I have a problem here. Today my stomach was so sick I didn't take any, but I know tomorrow I will. I only have about five pills left and I'll take them. When they're done, they're done. I'm not going to my doctor for more. I can't be bothered. I'm lucky I don't have a huge stash, because I would take them. What blows my mind is how insidious this addiction is. It's can get pretty bad. I realize that I'll always be prone to addiction, particularly to drugs that make me happy and relaxed, because I'm not all that happy and I'm not relaxed! Hey, NA and AA are great places for help and support. I've done it before but hopefully I won't have to ever do it again.
Thanks for all your comments here. I've been taking Codiene for awhile now. The worst part was that I'd quit for YEARS and totally thought I had a hold on it. Then a stressful job made me decide that I needed it to cope. It did help at first, but now it's just a pain and I've risked hurting my marriage. I was taking Methadone for pills years back (I would've been better off staying on the pills!) and that took over a year just to quit effectively. My wife has been suggesting she knows something's up and I finally admitted to it. Yeah, she's upset and confused wondering if she can trust me anymore...but it's still pretty early and things aren't so bad yet. Her big thing is "what if I hadn't noticed or asked? When would you have stopped?" Part of me thinks this will be EASY to beat with someone supervising that I trust...compared to methadone it has to be. I'm so sick of this **** in my life...all the time and energy I've wasted. Even the money doesn't bother me as much as how it's deflected energy I could put into so many more productive things. I'm in my early 40's wasting my life on this ****. I don't blame anyone else...not doctors nor the pharma industry...just me. I'm taking anywhere from 10 to 30 30mg tablets a day. Where I live you can buy them OTC as long as you can convince the pharmacist to sell them to you. I just want this monkey off my back. I was able to quit in a few weeks before, so I want to set a calendar and do the same again. Once you get past the little "moments of panic" then you have a fighting chance. I can deal with the pains...just the fear gets to me sometimes. Cheers and good luck to all.
Neurofen is bad for your stomach and taken over a long time together with  Codiene will end up giving you and ulcer. I had to take zantac, a stomach acid relief tablet to combat the stomach pan. Giving them up was so easy as it really hurt to take them. I swapped over from Neurofen to Paracetomol and codeine, and the paid went away so quickly that I ended upping my dose of 2 x 60mg of tablets to 4, then 6. I was gagging when I took them but I was getting a buzz out of them. I eventually, for the sake of my dignity, and life probably, reduced them back down to 4 a day, about 4 or 5 times a day. Eventually the Dr decided I was addicted, even though I had gone to see the doctor in order to tell him first. He wrote it on my records that I was an opiate dependant-rich when he put me on them in the first place. I argued with them and said they just couldnt cut me off, so they reduced the tablets to 30mg and 500 paracetomol. In all this time, it wasnt the codiene that bothered me but the paracetmol is more bound to harm your liver as it builds up. I went back to the doctor and got codeine phosphate without the paracetomol and went back up to 6 x30mg of them about four times a day. They didnt seem to work with the same high as the codeine and paracetomol, so I changed back to the paras and codiene 30mg. I have now been on them in various doctors, when they get fed up of me, I move on complaining. But I have made a constant effort to get down. I am still on them 14 years later, but have now restricted myself to 3 in the morning, and four in the afternoon, not a good dose to have but certainly in the allowable daily limits, and the four I leave until 5pm to reward myself with a more or less instant high feeling. One that is better than the depression I get when coming off them. I have had plenty of cold turkeys when I run out for two days. I go on over the counter drugs then and persist on taking four lots of 4 just to keep my dose high enough to stop cold sweats. It works and although I get pretty low and depressed I have a good cry, a sceam at my husband, a promise of changed life style and then I go back on to my 3 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon, ie 90mg am and 120mg later. I have been noticing that I can make the time in between taking the three in the morning and the four later, a bit longer in between to the point that I am forgetting to take them. However, I always start feel down and achy and that reminds me to reward myself with the four again. I am now quite frightened as today I took my early ones at 9.30 and forgot to take the others with me. I had been thinking of changing my whole life style so go some exercie wii fit that wanted to know my heart rate before it set me a fitness regime. I went to the doctor who told me my blood pressure was 146/94 and I freaked. I said it was too high and unbelievably she said it was normally. Look it up anywhere and that is not normal. I then went to Llyods pharmacy and ask them to take my BP again, having told them the story. This time it was a staggering 166/102. Now I think I am in danger of a heart attack and things have become serious stuff. I am 62, been on all sorts of things all my life being an adventurer  but I cannot cope with a heart attack and needs must at long last I must give up. However, again, I am wondering whether the extra time in between the tablets caused my blood pressure to go up unwhittingly, and so to stop myself from the with drawal of codiene causing me a heart attack I took another three. I think the way I will have to do it tomorrow, is to take three, morning, three afternoon and three in the evening. This may calm things down and let my body get used to. Things cannot be stopped just like that. They can cause more harm that good coming off something the body has been used to. Well the fact is though, I am now determined to avoid the nice feeling it gave me and just peeter them out slowly. Feeling bad is worse than feeling high-depresssed repeatedly. I have also taken other steps to get my addictive life style in order. I have bought my wii to give me sodding boring exercise, never liked exercise and found it boring, although I dont mind housework. I have given up on drinking 4 glasses of wine a day and a gin and tonic, and am now down to one glass of helpful red wine. I am off sugar and salt and eating fruit. So all in all I feel positive about a way out of this damn chain. I want to live a long life. Iknow that now. Depression often makes me wish I was dead but when it happens that your life is threatened by the real harm it is doing to your body, you and you  alone have to take control of it and instead of asking others for help, and others to assure you that youre ok, then go down your own path of courage and fitness. Do you want to live a long time or not? SImple as that. Frightening when you come confronted with death. I had a car crash where I nearly died, infact this was the cause of my addiction, followed by a ski accident, followed by being unsure on my feet a few times because of the other accidents. It never ends the worry we have if we over do things. SO simply cut down. I gave up smoking after trying for 5 years. I got up to 60, ( 3 packs) a day. I loved smoking, loved waking in the night for a smoke but in the end I got chest pains. The doctor said I had the beginning of a fatal emphesema, inability to breathe air out from the lungs. I gave up smoking that moment and never had a withdrawal at all. My will to live was stronger than addiction in the case of cigarettes, and now I think after hearing about my blood pressure, that will to live is going to help me get things adjusted slowly and in the right balance, not too quickly off, not too slowly, not too many rewards,and definitely a goal to be on less every month, be it only half a pill. Then I will concentrate my addictions on diet, and fun fitness games, like SPORTS RESORT, or Zumbra dancing. Whatever. I am in charge of my body NOT some damned addictive pill which I did not go out to get in the first place. I think we all ought to keep in touch and write diaries about how our addictions can reduce a tiy bit each day. If you are on too high a dose, then replace half of your first tablets with lower stength over the counter tablets. I could go on and on, and when I succeed, I may write a handy step by step book on how to avoid pains, withdrawals, and depressions. Lots of love to you all. I am actually a registered nurse so I know a lot about a lot!! I especially wasnt put on this earth to degrade myself by the indignity of letting a few little pills ruining my life. MY PILLS WILL DO AS I SAY FROM NOW ON. xxx
if you r going to continue you should look up cold water extraction it will save your liver i just lost a friend to the same  combination your on
hi all , i am in the same boat as the rest of you , i am addicted to codeine , i have to stop but the withdrawls after i few days are just so painfull , i don`t want to take anything anymore, its exspensive , takes over your hole life and is causing me exstreme fluid retention , my eyes are merky and i costantly feel uncomfortable but most importantly i am verry verry veryy well aware of the damage it can cause to u and ur body in the long run , i am a 28yr old mother of three from australia and 14mnths ago i accidently overdosed on mersyndol , i was taking it every night as i get chronic restless leg syndrome(rls) , after a long time of taking mersyndol , ( codeine , paracetemol, and anylgesic calmative ) i needed to take more and more just to get the effect of complete relaxation, 1 night when i was unable to sleep and becoming exstremely frustrated i just kept taking them until i felt stoned and all of a sudden verry ill , the next morning my youngr sister came around to visit and i couldnt move , she told me to get my *** in the car and raced me to the hospital , i never see her worried about me in any way but this day she was in tears saying , u look like your dead i`m so scared , i was vomiting blood and my liver had started to fail , i was admitted into the hospital in  my town and woke up 3weeks later in the intensive care unit in the transplant specialist hospital in the city , i had accute liver failure , my kidneys had stopped working and i had been on dialisis for 1 week straight , i had cheated death by a mear what they estimated was no more that 2hrs , because of my failing kidneys and liver the fluid in my body had nowhere to go so it flooded my brain and nearly snapped my spinal stem , i was put into a coma on life support for 17days an my left lung colapsed , i had a shunt put into my skull to drain the fluid away and my liver and kidneys slowly came around , i had to learn how to walk , talk and hold my own spoon again , it was the most horrific exsprience of my life , i could walk no more than 10metres at a time an was in physiotherapy three times a week for 5mnths ,..............................3 months ago i was helping my kids build a tree house out the backyard and i fell hitting my head and back on the concrete kirbing , i was in a lot of pain and went and got mersyndol to help with the pain , i live in a tiny town population bout 800 so we dont have chyropractors or even a dr fulltime at the hospital so , i ended up getting the same painkiller that near killed me just to releive the pain until i could travel over 24hrs to the city to get help , i had no intentions of using them long term and i beleived that i wouldnt get sucked into the trap of addiction .......i was wrong and cry nearly everyday privately as i let this ******* habbit win over me when i swore to myself it wouldnt , i`m frightened and angry with myself as i know what can happen , ive exsperienced the end and wish never to be in that situation again , in the intensive care unit i met 3 other people who had the same addiction and the nurses say its the cause of so many deaths at that hospital ............if anyone has any advice on easing withdrawl (withdrawal) pains i`d be so gratefull of any advice , and those who have kicked the addiction , beware of ever using codeine again as it becomes habbit once more before you can bat an eyelid whether you swear ud never get into that trap again or not x
Need to know if there is any way to stop these electric shocks through my body with Codein withdrawal . 9.5 years 750 mg Codein Phoshate daily statred on about 300 mg 700 for years now. 2nd nite c/t  I cant do it have no pills have to get script and wean off I feel thats best, thou Iv'e tried so many times, I just cant hack these shocks making me mastibate (excuse) for a little relief, terrible C T not  4 me the flu symtoms (symptoms) i can hack not the shocks and insomnia. If I could stop the shocks I would cary on detox no prob.
hi i am also addicted to codeine phosphate im a 28 year old single mum n ive been taking these horrid pills about 3 years. i can take upto 28 tablets per day at 30mg each i need to get off these things so today i have started trying to gently wean myself off ive only took 9x30 mgs so far which is less than half i would normally take. im sitting here now with stomache cramps restless legs sweating like i dont know what and the worst headache ever but i am determined to do this i need to for my son. if anyone has any suggestions on how i could make this easier then please let me know thanks
Hi guys. Ive read through all the posts and feel for you all. I've been hooked on codeine tablets for around four years. I had noticed over the last couple of years how tired and old i felt & was never really sure if it was the tablets. I tried giving up a few times unsuccessfully. The longest i lasted was eight days. The withdrawals were the same as everyone else's including the sweats, depression and aching legs. This time however i've been clean 5 weeks & feel so much better in every way. I feel fit again, i'm sleeping pretty good, feeling very optimistic & want to get out and about. I started to feel the real benefit after 4 weeks so it may be different for others. I don't crave them and have no wish to return to them as i'd forgotten what it feels like to be alive and care for life (and people). I had four years in a half daze hating my life and it was down to those pesky painkillers, i realize that now. I am now eating healthier, getting out and about more and meditating to binaural beats. Listen guys, give time time (one day,hour or minute at a time)  There is hope. I wish you all well.
that is fantastic well done you. how did u come off them just altogether or did u reduce day by day? im still in the process of reducing day by day and its so hard. have u got any advice and if you used anything to help you with the withdrawals i must say the restlessness is the worst for me by far. you should be so proud of yourself.
Well, I've been taking Tylenol 3 for 2 years and didn't realize how addictive it was.  I've kind of had the "shakes" inside, not visible, but I feel like my nerves are hot and racing through my arms and my stomach has been off since I started to taper (cut them in half) 2 weeks ago.  I don't know how long this takes but went to an alternative doctor in Florida and he's giving me glutathione/B-12 IV's a couple of times.  This helps your liver which is toxified from all the acetominophen.  I read that a good B-complex and certain foods give you glutathione.  That's what you need to make.  You can take NAC and glutathione by capsules also, but take more vit. C than NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) to avoid stones.  Asparagus, broccoli, cantalope, wild-caught salmon, organic chicken (if you can get this stuff) and fruits.  There are a lot of foods which let you naturally make glutathione to detox your liver.  Your liver loves this stuff.  Get Suzy Cohen's book on "Drug Muggers" and see which supplements you need to replace the ones certain drugs "mug" or deplete.  OK, that's all I can think of.  Hope this helps.  I'm still on the edge so I'll write more if the IV's are helping.
Like everyone else on this forum, I too am addicted to codeine. I am a 28 year old college student who works two jobs and goes to school. I used to be very fit and active, but about 8 years ago I started having severe pains in my knees. I went to the doctor, and he suggested a laporscopic surgery on each knee to go in and burn out the bands that had formed that were causing the pain. He put me in codeine, and immediately,  I was hooked. Now I'm taking anywhere from 5 to 20 10mg tablets a day, depending on how many i can get my hands on. I wound up having two surgeries, first my right then my left. Because of my addiction, I actually played up some pain that I was still having in my right knee and convinced my doctor to do surgery again, simply because I wasnt ready to get off the pain meds. Well that was 2 years ago, and I'm still living with this addiction every stinkin day. It's affected my work, school, family, and my morals. I actually wound up breaking into a friends home and taking their meds because I was in withdrawl (withdrawal). I've never experienced anything so captivating in my entire life. It literally controls every move I make. I've spent more money than I can afford, borrowed money I cant pay back, and done things I'm not proud of, just to get my fix. Before this addiction, my moral compass was very strong. I've tried getting clean several times and have succeeded, but I always convince myself that I need them, deserve them, or can handle using them recreationally just one more time. I'm at the end of my rope. I dont want to continue to fight this battle for the rest of my life. I was put on Suboxone a few times to help deal with the withdrawl (withdrawal), but I no longer have insurance and cannot afford the visit, let alone the pills, which are $9 dollars apiece without insurance. I'm currently in the process of trying to taper myself off, with the help of the occasional xanax for anxiety and sleeping pills for rest. The main problem is that I love the medication so much, I wind up taking a dosage that will get me high, simply because I love the feeling so much. The hardest part is that although I know that in order to be successful and the best person that I can be, I have to stop. I just don't want to. I'm starting to think that the only way i'll ever overcome this is with inpatient therapy, but that will cost my both my jobs, my home, i'll have to put my education on hold, and most importantly, they'll be nowhere for my daughter to do. It all just seems so helpless. I'm glad I found this forum because although I've been to NA meetings, it's nice to know that there are so many other people out there who are suffering through this with me. Good luck everyone, and be careful.
The blood could be just caused by the trauma of being constipated, as it is very difficult to pass stools. So check your faeces.....and if the blood is bright red and looks fresh, its trauma but if its dark and also inside the stool you must take that seriously, either way see your doctor.
Hi All currently day 2 of cold Turkey your posts are a massive help the lack of sleep and the restless legs are a pain in the butt, If thats as bad as it gets i will think myself lucky.
Been a very avid fan of anything with codine in it for the past 2 years decided enough was enough as was worried about my stomach and kidneys.
Like many other was perscribed it after surgery then continued to seek it out after i was better and no longer getting a script i use it to relax and deal with the pressure of running my own business. But no more I've had enough but i am supprised about my mood thought i would be more depressed. maybe later in the week. Thanks again all for your stories they really do help. Good bless and good luck  
Hi, wow! I now do not feel like I will be going alone . I made the mistake of going off cold turkey, not doing well. Stomach pains, vomitting, restlesss at night, due to the pain, and the sweats! My joints hurt all over too. I have been taking tylenol # 3 for 15 years. it has only been the past 3 years that I was taking 8 pills a day, 30mg each. Phoned the Dr. Office, and they suggest i break ff slowly, because  the cold way is too much for me to handle. going to start with 4 day for a week, 3 a day for a week, and just gradually break it down to zero. I am scared, because I think for me, it may be too late. Maybe it's just because of the way I feel today. Has anyone else suffered with stomach pain when getting off of Tylenol # 3..? Thank-you!
first i want to say your a really good guy for trying to help her.i have been on lotab 10/500s for close to 10 years for a spinal desease that they say will make me paralized soner or later.i can give you some insight from her side.when i run out its like i have the flue..tired is an under statement..you start to lose it. the last thing you want to do is work.my wife is more of a tough love type.but all that being said you need to sit down with her and ask her how she feels about the pills.if she is concerned about the withdrawals and by what you said i would say she is.you may want to tell her doctor about it.its allways best to be upfront with your doctor he may swicth her to somthing else.but one thing i know for sure is the longer she takes them the deaper in she will get.good luck myfreind.
I have been taking Tylonal 3 for 4 years and want off...my back been hurting and I wont tell my doc...been getting them black market but now I want to ween off,please help for the less withdrawl (withdrawal)..
Hi, I know this is a very old thread, but everyone's stories of getting clean and the ones that had been going through the withdrawal of codeine are an inspiration :) I'm on day 2 of cold turkey myself for the second time know, I went CT last year my baby was only 4 months old it was terrible, I did t want to tell anyone because I was so ashamed of myself for getting addicted to codeine 30/500 prescribed to me by my doctor, I went through cold turkey the first time it was awful, and with such a little baby to take care of as well as 3 older children, I had to force myself to get up in the morning to get them to school. But I got through it, and went 3 months with nothing then injanuary I was in terrible pain so took 2 this was the worst thing in the world I could have ever done, because now for the last 5 months I have been hooked :( today though I have spoke to my husband and told him what I'm going through (something I didn't feel I was able to last time) I feel this time with his help I will get through this FOR GOOD! I have gone 2 days now with nothing and as I have done this before I'm sure I will be able to again, only this time after having talked to my husband we have decided I should take 2 tablets a day for the first week, then 1 and a half the second week and 1 the week after and so on.... I hope that this way it will be easier on my body, as I don't have a mental dependency on them it's more like my body needs them I have never taken more than 4 a day so I'm not popping them left, right and centre, nevertheless my body has still built up a dependency on them, I will carry on updating every now and then as this may help someone else going through the same this and as previous posts have helped me. Good luck to anyone reading this thread, and there is light at the end of it all, I have been there! I'm just back on that same track again, but with the help of my husband, this time I shall not be going back I will let you know how I get on with the weaning, rather than full cold turkey for me thus time xxx
Hi, I am a 37 year old mum of 2 and have a lovely husband, I have been getting prescribed co-codamol30/500 for over 5 years.  I have tried to stop many times but the withdrawal symptoms has always made me go back, I am normally prescribed around 400 tablets a month.  I first started taking them when I had laser treatment on my face and liked the way they made me feel.  I didn't think my husband knew how bad it was but he found tablets I had hidden from him, we spoke about it and I broke down, he wanted me to go to the doctors but I don't want that I am addicted to codeine in my medical records.  I know its my fault I am in this situation but also the doctor has been prescribing almost twice the recommended dose and never ever questioned what I was doing with them. I have read all these posts and although they are old they have shown me that I am strong enough to beat this addiction.  I am going cold turkey cos I want off these asap, on day 3 without any and I don't feel to bad a bit of a sore stomach and sweats but I can cope with that.  I would like to say most people start to take these to relieve pain and do not know how addictive they are, doctors don't care they are to busy working towards yearly targets so they can get more money in to their practice for the next year. If I can beat this then I know other people can, reading all these posts is certainly a wake up call for me, I hope that you all find the strength to beat this highly addictive drug, even feel a bit better getting all my feelings out as it is really hard to explain it to someone who hasn't been through anything like this and feeling like they are judging you, best of luck to you all xx
Hi Devonex16

I too have just started coming off the codeine phosiate have been taking up to 5 - 6 30mg tabs on a daily basis off & on for the last year or two. Just started withdrawring from sunday. Started with flu like symtoms (symptoms) & yesterday I had horrible fever hot then cold every hour. I have been taking strong iburprofen to counter this but i know thats not good. Since last night the diorreah has set in which has not been pleasant. My partner thinks im just ill how much more days do you think I have of this withdrawral process left?? the worst think is I still have 60 tabs of codeine in house too but I have been good so far well since sunday. god bless
Hi I first started taking over the counter paramol 8/500 about 6 years ago.. I was in a very abusive relationship & they made me feel calm.. But have been on co-cod 30/an.. I can't talk to anyone about it & don't want to go to the doctors.. I'm ashamed as we have been trying for a baby & I have Misscarried 3 times.. I'm sure this is because of the tablets but my GP wasn't concerned at all?? I take 3 tablets at a time & around 15 a day.. Today I have taken 3 but normally would have been 6 by this time of the day.. Trying to just stop.. Is this possible? will it hurt me? Need some advice please.. xx 500 for the last 18 months for a shoulder injury which my abusive ex inflicted.. I get 100 tablets from my GP EVERY week without any questions being asked... I have just had surgery on my shoulder.. so it does feel better BUT Cant stop taking pain killers.. even though I'm now married to a lovely m
advice please iv been on pain relief for over 20yearsthe last 12 mths taking upto 400 a week given by gp how long do you go through the withdrawl (withdrawal) ?
With "400" I'm assuming you mean 400mg? Length of withdrawal is different for everyone but generally speaking, its around 7-14 days for the most serious physical symptoms and can be up to 3 months or longer mentally.  Method of coming off codeine also plays a part - tampering or cold turkey?
I am so glad I am not alone. I too have my addiction hidden from my husband. I drive an average of 60km per week doing the rounds of pharmacies making sure I use each one only once a month. I not only do this but at the ones I know don't ask for id I use my maiden name and an old address. It's costing me at least $70 a week. I am in a bad way. But after reading your post I am telling him when he comes back from working away in two weeks. I can't keep doing this to my body. My kidneys hurt I am tired of driving and the kids would love to be able to have the money spent on them rather than killing their mother. Thanks
please help someone. my daughter is 35 years old and she had an addiction to tramadol. she had two fits  one in front of myself and her 13 year old daughter. we couldn't bring her round for about three minutes and at one stage we both thought she was dead. it is two years down the line and I am now helping her to fight a codeine addiction. she is taking 32 tablets somedays. she is at risk of losing her house because of the money she is spending on these tablets. she has said she is going cold turkey from todayas things have just come to a head. what about my beautiful granddaughter if anything happens to her, I pray she has the strength and courage to fight this as I have just recovered from cancer and I have copd. I feel so desperate.any comments would be appreciated.
Viewing 201-214 comments: