Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Cough and hydrocodone withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Cough and hydrocodone withdrawal

I was just wondering if anyone who has withdrawn from hydrocodone, or other opiates, experienced a persistent cough that began shortly after stopping the drug.  I'm at a month after my last pill, and I still have a chronic, dry cough that is centered in the lower part of my throat. None of the OTC cough meds or anti-allergy meds make a dent.  I don't know if this is at all associated with WD, but I know the great people here will enlighten me about it one way or another.

Thanks.  
A month with a cold you should have checked out regardless of wd it is just too long ....congrats on your month thats GREAT
That has to be for me the worst symptom of withdrawals. I would cough and cough and cough and not be able to sleep. Well....I couldn't sleep anyways but that added to it! I sucked on menthol cough drops all night while I was sleeping and now that I think about it I could have choked. I already have bad allergy symptoms and sinus problems so if you do too then you probably were just masking them with the meds and now you actually can tell something is wrong. If you don't feel sick besides a cough maybe you should try something like Claritin. Good Luck!
The doc doesn't have a clue (surprise!), and wants me to see an ENT.  My suspicion has been that now that the hydrocodone, which is a wonderful cough suppressant, is gone, the symptoms have emerged from whatever underlying condition is at work. Of course, the one cough medicine that I know will stop the cough in its tracks contains codeine, and that's off limits.
yes it sure does help the cough I would go see the ent most likely the pills were masking a bigger issue.let us know what the ENT has to say ...Just a question do you smoke ?
Not a smoker. Just a cougher at the moment.  I skipped the smoking and went straight to the hacking to save time and money and so I could glare self righteously at people smoking in "no smoking" areas.
I am on day 4 w/d from hydros and have the exact same thing. Also sneezing.  Everything i read says these are some of the w/d symptoms. Mine is in the same exact location. You described mine perfectly.  Even though i would go see a dr. i bet it is a case of you just taking longer to shake that particular sympton. Good luck and congrats on being clean for a month!
Thanks, I'll hang on a little longer before spending money on a specialist who will probably tell me to take Zyrtec.
I have withdrawn from vicodin several times (unfortunately) and do not recall a cough.  You may have something underlying....good thing to see your considering going to a doc, but watch out they don't just med you up like they always do!  I recently went for sinus pain and that's exactly what they gave me - Zyrtec plus a $50 nose spray which I used once and threw out because it tasted bad and burned my throat.
There is NO underlying issue people.. This is one of the possible side effects of doing vicodin or other opiates for such a long amount of time.  I am going thru it for my second time now.  I've been off em for a few weeks and this damn cough will NOT leave.  It's a deep congested cough.  Last time I got it when I quit too and it lasted literally about 1 month and then died down.  My guess is that since vicodin and opiates are natural cough supressants, your body has been used to that for so long that now it's the other way around for awhile (coughing) until your body returns back to normal.

It will go away but it'll probably take awhile.  Trust me, it's not an underlying issue because i've heard of it being a common thing when u quit opiates and I am going thru it now for my second time of quitting. (Usually i don't get it) but the last two times I did.

John
THANK YOU.  Needed to hear that.  You just saved me from more unnecessary freak out.
Just found this thread when I was researching "Hydrocodone withdrawal cough".  I too recently stopped taking Hydrocodone (5 days today).  Two days ago I started coughing and my sinuses are irritated.  I guess after taking the meds for 4 years, my lungs had adapted to the constant flow of suppressant. Glad to hear it's not just me.  Thought I may have been masking a lung problem with my abuse.    
I have had the same problems , I quit Oxycontin 3 weeks ago and got the cough/sneezing sinus allergy symptoms bad then someone gave me Hydromorphone and I caved in to get rid of the symptoms ( I know how *** backwards that is ) so now I have quit those and of course the same problem is back again after the 3rd day clean .  I was just considering going to see a doctor and decided to research this online, this is the first article I came across and it was very helpful.  
Thanks everyone for sharing this valuable info !
Thanks for the info everyone my husband has a adiction (addiction) to pain killers and evertime he withdraws he has this horrable cough, And then when he gets something its gone, everytime he swears hes sick i was staring to get very worried, I already worry constantly about what his adiction (addiction) is doing to his body, this has been going on for years, and this cough that is there everytime, he needs to get past this and get the help he needs, Im a worrier and this puts my mind at ease a little, thanks, Im listening to him cough non stop at this moment this is only the first day.
I have experienced the same thing, at night it was unbearable.  I tried chloroseptic spray and it did wonders for me. Sometimes it seemed as if I was drinking the stuff. Just a though it may not work as well for any of you.  But, it is worth a try.