Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Day 4. Need to make a doctor visit today.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I'm on day 4 of no opiates. Feeling great as w/ no withdrawal symptoms but, I apparently have come down with something. Haven't slept in two days due to non stop coughing, chest tightening , fever and a sore throat. Thinking I have bronchitis ... I've tried several OTC meds to no avail whatsoever. Can't stand another sleepless night due to this coughing, so, I'm making a trip to the doctors today. My question and concern is, are there any other cough suppressants other than the one with codeine? I need some prescription strength relief but am worried about the codeine. I've taken promethazine before when I was clean due to bronchitis and did so as directed , never abused it before. Just worried since I'm still so early in my recovery and don't want it making it mentally harder for me.
Congrats on day 4! Definately share your concerns with your doctor! Stay away from the codeine cough syrup! But, you already know that. I'm sure there has to be alternatives. Take care, and I hope you feel better soon!
Hi and a big congrats on day 4! I'm sorry you are under the weather. There are prescription cough meds that are non narcotic and they can be effective. They make the Promethazine syrup with DXM (no codeine). There are also pills that you can take called Benzonate that are pretty effective. I would try non narcotic options first. I think any opiates at this point will set you back, at least mentally. If you are unable to find relief and absolutely have to do the Codeine syrup, I would be sure to give it to a trusted person to hand out your doses, that way you aren't tempted. I hope that you are able to find some relief. Be sure to take it easy and drink lots of fluids. Get well soon and let us know what the doctor says. Take care.
Thanks for the insight and replies! Doc has me on strong antibiotics, steroids and a inhaler. Already feeling better and slept all night...Whoooo whooooo, here's to starting day 5 fully refreshed and clear headed :)
Good deal! I am so glad to hear you are starting to feel better. Congrats on day 5! Keep up the hard work and take care of yourself.