Day 8 has begun!!!!!!!
After 4 years on pain medicines (out of control on the hydro for the last year), I am finally 8 days clean and feeling great, thanks to all of you.  I am beginning to look at my life with clearer eyes and have realized the following:

1.  I have little or no social life left
2.  I am weeker physically then I ever knew
3.  The RA pain is not as bad as I remembered it to be
4.  I can now feel "whole" emotions again.  This is both exciting and fearfull.

One step at at time.  I will take time out to just enjoy being clean and look at changing other things later.

Is after care absolutely necessary, or can this part be done "cold turkey as well?"

congrats on 8 days!  that's awesome!  and i have 3 out of the 4 things you mentioned as well..no RA but the rest i've had as well....

and as far as aftercare...i think it is absolutely necessary....that's just my opinion.....i'm seeing an addiction counselor and it's helping alot....also going to meetings once a week....not as many as i should but i will try to work on it....my counselor is adamant about meetings.....NA or AA...but that's just MY story....hope you find what's right for you.....this is a hard battle to fight alone when there are so many resources out there and meetings are free.  Keep up the great work!  doing good!!  
Thanks and you have always been a positive influence for me.  Thanks!

I will look into aftercare and see if my work schedule will allow time.  Do they have meetings after normal work hours?
Congrats on 8 days!!

Aftercare is very important.  Using was just a symptom of what was going on.  We bury many demons and need to deal with them.  We also learn the tools we need to stay clean.  Meetings are usually all hours of the day and night.  Check it out.
With in days you will be back.. I've been doing things I haven't done in a years.. Having fun and enjoying life.. Keep pressing forward
The one thing that I have noticed on this forum is the people who have been successful at STAYING clean is that they have had aftercare.  Getting clean is the easy part.  Staying clean is the hard part.  Aftercare is very important to stay clean.
Good luck.
yes NA/AA usually have hours all times of the day and evenings....so go online and see where they are in your area. Good luck and stay positive!  You can do it!  :)
I was addicted to pain medicine As for me I have to have after care. I tried many times before without & I didn't even last a week. I am three months sober now & I wouldn't be sober this long if it wasn't for the aftercare. You will get through the physical part but the mental part is the hardest. So happy for you making it this long.
Congratulations!