Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Detox continues, sneezing and sore throat?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Day 4 from jumping off a slow taper of hydrocodone/soma, felt sooooo much better this morning actually got out of bed emptied dishwasher, made tea and toast, kind of felt like I was through the worst.  Somewhere along this afternoon my throat is sore and I feel like I have fluid in my right ear - I know I am still detoxing but I guess the sore throat is throwing me and I've been sneezing like crazy - is this JUST detox or maybe I'm getting sick on top of it all?
Congrats on day 4....your symptoms are probably from detox..for the immune system also gets a kick in the butt so to speak...
I don't know about your ear feeling like that but can tell you that the first 5 or 6 days of my detox, I sneezed like crazy.
Hang in there!
Thanks - evenings are when the leg crazies start - just call me crazy legs magoo - I hate evenings.
Iwill...
I love your username(:
I experienced the sneezing, sore throat, and fluid in my ear off and on for awhile during detox and after.  The immune system goes through a lot of trauma along with the rest of the body.  Your respiratory system is getting rid of the chemicals and toxins.  I put a heating pad on my neck and it really helped.  Also-get yourself some Vitamin C ascorbate and dose daily.  I had many colds come a callin' in the past couple of months but none of them took up residence!  Hot lemon w/ginger and honey is good too.  Treat yourself gently...You've been through a lot.

Awesome job on four days...Keep moving forward...
Lu
oooh thanks lulu - I didn't even think about putting a heating pad on my neck, duh.  I was flying so high earlier about my 4th day and then crash and now I'm not thinking so straight.  Just took the Emergency C and heading for the heating pad - thanks so much for your words of wisdom and GREAT job to you on 61 days!  I can't wait to be where you are.
Hi there,

Withrawals spark an inflammatory response throughout your entire body (including your sinuses - hence the headaches, watery eyes and sneezing!)
- snakejones originally posted this about the inflammation.  Everything else has always made sense about withdrawal and all of it's miserable symptoms, but the histamine effect and the resulting sneezing fits never really occurred to me, until I read her post.  

Hope your feel better soon!

Sandy :)
I'm on Day 8 today!  Today is the worst with the sneezing.  I did have my right ear hurting the past two days like I had an ear infection, it's gone now.  Sneezing, tickly kind of cough in my chest, other than that Day 8 is GREAT!   I've been sipping hot tea all day, it settles the cough and tickle in my throat.. I just let myself sneeze away though....

Keep up the Good Work.  I'm so glad I have this site and posts to read.  i'm doing this alone, and find this soooo supportive!