Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Detoxing at home

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Detoxing at home

ive been watching this site since dec. 26 2011. that was the start of my second detox off of hydro and percs. i had back surgery  in dec 09  that was the start of my pill addiction. i made it 19 days that time. i started my third and final  time at this may05 2012 . my wife is being very supportive. which i think helps. this site has been very inperational to me. i read it all the time. thanks to all med help members
Tags: detoxing
Glad you are trying again.  I really believe that relapse is part of the process of staying clean.  We learn something about ourselves each time we try.  The first time I did it alone and failed miserably.  The second time I told my husband and daughter what was going on.  I stayed clean longer, but the pills called my name and I listened to them and relapsed.  Finally, this last and I hope final time...I told my son (the hardest one to tell) and my Doctor.  She helped so much and I am so grateful she cared and that gave me even more strength to stop.  

My point is we are all human and trying to do what is right for us is all we can ask.  We are stronger than the pills..I just think somewhere along the way we lost ourselves and getting clean we/I are finding ourselves again.  

The hard part is finding out why we let the pills take over our lives.  That is the mental part we talk about.  What part of our pain did they seem to heal besides the physical?  Yes, it is a process.

Good you came here..It is an amazing place of support.  Keep posting.
by the way my wife and i flushed the rest of my pills. that is something ive never done.
Thats a great start. As long as u know u have a problem & want to get clean u can do this! Have u seen the Thomas recipe? it's some place on this site & it has a list of things that ease the WD. I took Imodium (immodium), a multi vitamin, magnesium,lots of fluids & B12 & that seemed to help. After the first few days u need to move, even if it's a short walk around the house, move! I wish u the best of luck & keep posting on here, this site helped me a ton & will continue to help me as i'am only 22 days in.
stacy lynn thanks for your response. yes im taking exactly what your taking. its amazing how hard this is. im like alot of people on here, i would have thought ide be the last person to get addicted.
The mental part is so much worse than the physical to me. sorry to say. I look @ these pills as being the devil trying to lure me back into his world so every time i say no feels great. But thats just my little thing that has helped me a ton! By day 15 i felt much better & @ 22 i feel 100% better! I started the gym last week & that has helped with the mental part as well, they say exercise releases endorphin in ur brain which is something a opiate user hasn't had in a while.
I've learned working in the medical field, there's no specific label of the kind of person who gets addicted to these things. I know as many on here when i took my 1st hydro for a legit reason i never would of thought i'd be where i'am 8 yrs later. But i know this experience has taught me a ton & have opened my eyes to much much more than ever.  
were you taking them for pain when you started taking them? what ive come to realize is i never gave it enough time for my rebound pain to get better.yes they are the devel thats for sure.
it started out for pain then i just plain loved the energy i got from them, they made me feel like i could be super mom, wife & employer! Little did i know that was all a false sense really. It was all a lie & my brain was playing tricks on me. Now that i have legit pain, which i realized was not as bad as i thought while taking the pills ( funny how they do that to u) but my pain now is so minimal compared to what i thought it was while using.
i noticed that too about the pain being worse on them.my wife just had achilles tendon surgery a month ago and all she took was tylenol. it made me realize, if she can do with out pain meds that surely i could too. or shes way tougher than me.lol

thanks alot. your post was dead right.this is a life long journey. i know that now.