Detoxing off Methadone
I've been slowly tapering off of a 15 year Methadone maintainence program for about 2 years now. Roughly dropping 5 milligrams every month or so. About a month ago my dose was at 3 mgs. At that point I really didn't feel to bad during the day although the nights were horrible due not being able to sleep.

At that point I decided to just stop the meth all together, rather than prolonging the agony of dropping from 3 -2, then 2-1 etc. I stopped altogether about 3 weeks ago and have not slept more than 3 hours a night since. What makes it worse is it's not a simple toss and turn all night, it's an almost indesribable twisting, knawing feeling in the pit of my stomach that forces me out of bed, even though I'm so tired I can't hold my head up.

I've tried having a couple drinks before bed, over the counter sleep meds, even got some halcion from a friend, all to no avail.

How long can I expect this to last, or is there something I can do to lessen the pain in the meantime?
That comment is for anyone. If anyone can give me any answers I would appeciate it. thanks
Hey hon...you posted in an old thread...go to the top of the forum and click on post a question and you will get more response that way...anyway, you will have to taper the methadone way down before stopping...remember the slower the better..if you stop at 55mg the withdrawals are going to be bad..you want to try and taper down to 5mg before stopping...today I've been off methadone for 40 days...if I can help at all let me know...you can message me anytime....good luck!...Teri  :)
Should I taper down 5mg per day or per week? and when I'm down to 5mg, will I still have withdrawls? Congrats on your 40 days! Thats awesome!!!!!
I am pregnant too I was with my son too hes now 3 Do not quit your methadone both my docs know about each other and say it is very dangerous to quit while pregnant Your baby isnt fully developed and cannot handle the shock to their system When I was pregnant with my son I was on 130 a day because I knew the chances were that he would be born addicted I took my methadone only when my body told me I had to It seemed to work My son was born ok had the sneezes and poops but did not have to take anything We too had to stay int he hospital for 10 days but only to be sure he would be ok and he was This time I started going down after I had my son and have been going down during my pregnancy But both doctors have told me how important it is to do it right not to put baby under any stress That could cause premature labour or worse Please be patient and trust the process Whats 12 days out of the rest of there life Besides chances are your baby will not be in as much trouble this time 10 is a minute amount This has been said to by my docs Im at 14 now and have 15 weeks to go and they suggest I dont go down too fast even from 14 Be safe Good luck

I have been on methadone for 7 years. 110mgs/day came from a clinic and 50mgs more per day came from dealers. 1.5 years ago I cut off all contact with the dealers and remained on my 110mg/day dose for 6 months. For the last year I have been decreasing very slowly. 10mgs every 2 weeks until about 90mgs and it has been 5mgs decrease every two weeks since. I am right now at 15mgs/day. I have been keeping a blog (of symptoms and everything in between) since I was at 40mgs because I could never find anyone to talk to that had been through what I was going through. It is a very taxing and scary time and I wanted something to be there to show people it can be done.
I wish I had good news for most of you but I do not. Fact is, I still can find very little info on people that have actually kicked methadone. Will I? ******* right but it has been the worst fight of my life and then some. Every mistake and misstep of your past will pay you a visit, and they don't come mercifully.
When it's over I will owe a significant portion of my debt to the support system around me. I've surrounded myself with many barriers and my family has been on the front lines with me the whole way. Trust me- you will not beat this drug alone. It has the worst hooks of all the opiates and I am sure of nothing more.
I so wish all of you the perseverance you will need to get clean of this beast of a drug. My blog is ismelltherain.me for anyone interested.
HI..........I kicked methadone 959 days ago it is doable but it takes perseverance and resolve .......if your not already on the vitamins get on them its a 3 in one you can pick up at walmart its calcium/magnesium/zinc it will really help your withdrawals out
I started it at 40mg coming off 150mg it cut mine in 1/2 you take 4 in the morning and 4 at dinner in about 3 days you will feel it working
this is a race won by the tortus not the  haire take your time make your drops small we cannot give out tapering info on the forum everybodys differet follow your clinics instructions if you need someone to talk to just message me I help most of the methadoinans that come threw the forum good luck and God bless.........Gnarly    
Hey,  
  I you can come off of methadone!!!  I started of taking tabs then i moved to roxys.  When i realized i couldnt continue to seek out painkillers daily and lead a normal life i started attending a methadone clinic.  I stayed at the clinic for a year.  My highest dose was 85mg.  I detoxes ama (agianst medical approvel)  en mg every week until i got to 30 mg.  Then i continued down but at 5 mg every week until i was at 10 mg. September 8, 2011 i took my last dose.  It was physically very hard.  The pain lasted about a month. The insominia lasted longer.  Im telling you these things not to scare you but to warn you.  You should be prepared.  You can do it!!!  I found that my vitamin store had alot to offer to help with the insominia. They also have vitamin coctails that help rebiuld your nervious system.  The methadone hurts your opiate receptors in your brain.  Your body produces natural opiates which make you feel good among other things...im not a dr so i cant explain it, but i do know that it is so very important.  
  Methadone is made to be a matience drug.  They say it is made for long term use, but really it is made to be used for life. You can kick it!!!  It was the hardest thing i have ever done, but it was the BEST thing i have ever done.  You may hate yourself during the process, but you will never regret it.  You are strong enough!  You are worth it!  You deserve it! You can do it.
Hi Ive been on methadone for more a little more then 2 years ,I was at 50 mgs ,I didnt hang around at this dose for many months or years ,I started going down right away ,after I was stable ,going down 5 till I hit 40mgs then stated weaning down 2 2 mills for about a month ,then 3 mills for about a month and so on ,when I got to 20 mills my doc started weaning me down 2 mills every 2 weeks ,then when I got to 10 mills Iam tapering 1 mill every 2 weeks ,Iam at 5 mills now its still going good ,Iam now wondering is this going to get tough ,after I seen all thease posts ,but I havent felt any withdrawl symptoms yet? but Iam going to go buy the vitamins and protein shakes ,hopefully it will be good,but one thing Ive done is pray alot.
I found out today my husband has a bad addiction to methadone.  He said he is taking 30 pills a day.  How many milligrams would that be?  He is also doing the liquid.  Someone please help me understand so I can help him quit this drug
Im sorry 30 mg
good luck,

i know exactly what you are going through. I myself have no moral support, that is until my younger cousin recently came to stay with me. So again I agree with you on the sad part. He doesnt fully understand what I will be going though and what I actually do go through but he atleast is here for me. He wants me off and even said he will wait on me hand and foot to see me off this shi*.
Its all moral for myself as well. And of course I am unempyeed and living day to day is already stressful so knowing I will be sick and CANT EVEN LOOK for a job is terrifying.

Best of Luck

Brittany
Pensacola Florida
***@****
I have read some of the letters on here where you have been helping peep and I need some help. Been on methadone for 8 years for chronic migraines and was up to 160mgs a day. I am down to 10 - 15 mgs a day. I went down kind of fast I thot considering the dr has me going down 10 mg every 2 weeks I am ahead of his schedule. I have not discussed this with him because he seems like it will be no problem stopping them. He acts like just one day  I will just quit taking them and not have any W/D. Oh how I wish because some times I can feel like w/d starting and I take 1/4 of a 10mg pill. Otherwise I take 1/2 when I go to bed and 1/2 about 8 hours later when I get up. I feel like I'm stuck at this dose and can't go down any more. Maybe I'm just trying to rush it I don't know. I don't really have any support and live by myself. I wanted to be off of them completely when I return to work but thats in 2 weeks so Im not going to make it. I will pick up some vitamins when I go to the store but I have to make myself go to the store. Somedays I don't ever get out of bed or bother getting dressed. As I write this I'm cold but sweating and really trying not to take any medicine. I read about the sub therapy but that seems like one more thing to wean off of. Just having a really hard time with this and sometimes feel like giving up.
                                                                                          mellow885
i have been on doone for near 2 yrs now i started at 120 a day now down to 45 i just want to get offf the crap am thinking about just going cold turkey has anyone done this with success i work fulltime and cant get time off my job is very physical so was thinking i could just sweat it out of me it cant be that bad surely not sleeping dont bother me i originally got on it for chronic pain not for abuse issues just curious as if anyone has tried cold turkey and if so how did it cheersMark
HEY PEEPS!! LINA HERE TO HELP, I WAS ON METHADONE 5 YEARS AGO FROM WITHDRAWLS FROM OXYS AND INTINTINALLY I DIDNT GO ABOVE 25MG CZ I KNEW I WOULDNT STAY ON IT! THE CLINICS HATE THAT, THEY WANT YOU TO GO UP AND UP SO YOU CAN BE THERE SLAVE, AND THEY YELLED AT ME AND ACCUSSED ME OF USING AND CONSTANTLY DRUG TESTED ME AND IT WAS NEGATIVE LOL ANYWAY I KICKED IT EASILY WITH 0000 WITHDRAWL! I TOOK OXY AFTER 24HRS OF BEING ON MD AND DRANK BEER AND THAT MADE ME PUKE MY GUTS UP FOR 15 HRS! THEN THE NEXT DAY I TOOK A SUBOXONE AND WAS GREAT!! NOW IVE BEEN BACK ON METHADONE AGAIN FOR THE LAST 10 MONTHS, 26MG A DAY, AND IM ABOUT TO GET OFF OF IT AND I HAVE MY SUBS ON HAND!! IF YOU CALL NOVUS REHAB IN TAMPA FLORIDA THEY TELL YOU WHEN THEY DETOX YOU THEY GIVE YOU OXYCODONE FOR 2 DAYS THEN SUBOXONE FOR 6 AND IV'S OF VITAMINS AND ITS A 100% PAINLESS DETOX!! TRUST ME SUBS ARE A MIRACLE PILL!!!! BUT DONT TAKE THEM LONGER THAN A WEEK OR YOU WILL HAVE W/D SUBS ARE EASY TO GET FROM ANY DOCTOR! THEY LOVE TO PRESCRIBE THEM! THEY ARE 100% SAFE AS LONG AS YOU DONT MIX THEM WITH ANYTHING!!!!
hi you are an exception to the rule methadone is any thing but ez to get off ....now you where smart and kept your dose low but very few get away with an ez time of it I help lots of people each yr do it congrats on wanting to get off again wish you luck let us know how it goes for you the second time..................Gnarly
I had a terrible oxy,dilaudid, lortab, anything I could get my hands on problem and got on methadone 2 years ago. I tried twice to slowly taper but found it just made the w/d's last longer. 42 days ago I quit ct and I was taking 350mg day! I did a lot of research on methadone w/d and my doc had me on clonidine, visteril, and phenergen. I didn't sleep at all the 1st 8 days! I was hallucinating, hearing stuff, and having serious panic attacks! I ended up in the e.r. and the doc gave me ativan. It made me sleep, finally!! The insomnia is what is destroying me! I was taking ambien for 8 nights, I had terrible nightmares but I slept. When I ran out I had the worst w/d ever! Which caused me to take lortab to make it stop! Its hard to stay sober because when I take something I sleep and when I don't I toss and turn and if I fall asleep I wake up 30 minutes later in a cold sweat! It every night. I work out so hard and do so much to exhaust myself but still don't sleep! Its a mess. Somehow we just have to push through. I do take Valerian root and melatonin, they are natural. They don't knock me out but at least help make me a bit calm. I do know going without sleep can make u nuts! Just wanted you to know you aren't alone in your situation.
Hi Iam on methadone and taperingoff 10mg a week I went from 95 to 45 and am very sick!! I can't keep food down and I could sleep all the time.y doctor ***** and gave me the clonidine but wont give me the ativan,he says it too dangerous and would want me to see hiom every other day.Which to me is im trying tro make money and dont care how sick i am..I hate theposition I'm in and wish i never went to methadone or took those pills for my pain cuz i feel aweful ..My husband is coming off to but he still is at a high dose and im afraid he wont be able to handle this what is your advice..??? thanks' harley girl44
My father is trying to get off methadone. He is losing his license for DUI and facing jail time or in luu of jail hopefully go to rehab. The problem is that he has been on it for 15 years and he is almost 60 with hep c and mental probs and also liver probs. he takes 100mg and the rehab will detox him off it only seven days. He did it once and was fine till he was low on mgs. I'm scared for him bc I'm not sure how his body will react and if he gets addicted to his norcoutics. Please help! Need answers.
I know this post is old, bit i was hoping you could help me. I did the same as u. Tapered slowly (1mg a week) and just dropped at 3. I feel fine during the day time bur nights, im lucky if i can sleep an hr. How long did this last for you? What can i do to help myself sleep?
I've been on the juice methadone for 13yrs.At the mid/end of June I started going down 10mg a week til i got to 20mg then 5 mg a week.through-out entire tappering i felt fine,but tomorrow i go down to 2 1/2 mg for 7 days.Now i'm starting to feel like ****,adament about not taking pills to solve issue,hell the pills started this crap in the first place.any suggestions that will or might help would be great.....Or should i just go cold turkey and forget the 2 1/2 mg????
HOW SLOW SHOULD I GET OFF. I WAS ON 100MG A DAY FOR 5 YEARS FOR CHRONIC PAIN. I AM NOW DOWN TO 20 MG A DAY. I WAS ABLE TO GET FROM 100MG TO 20 WITHOUT MUCH TROUBLE, IT TOOK ABOUT 3 WEEKS TO REDUCE TO 20 MG A DAY. I WENT AT 5 MG REDUCTION A DAY TILL NOW BUT I KNOW I MUST SLOW WAY DOWN NOW. I AM GOING TO TAKE A MONTH LEAVE OF ABSENCE AND TRY TO GET THE REST OF THE WAY OFF, AND BE WELL ENOUGH TO GO BACK TO WORK IN 30 DAYS. I WILL HAVE A HARD TIME EXERCISING AS I CAN HARDLEY STAND AND WALK ON 12 FAILED FOOT SURGERYS(6 ON EACH FOOT), BUT I CAN RIDE A BIKE SOME AND MAYBE SWIM. I HAVE A CLONIDINE PERSCRIPTION AND I HAVE PLENTY OF md LEFT BUT THEY ARE 10 MG PILLS AND HARD TO CUT IN LESS THAN 2.5MG SECTIONS. i ALSO HAVE SOME SOMA DUE TO BACK PAIN FROM FUSION. .MY DR. KNOWS VERY LITTLE ABOUT HOW TO HELP ME AND I HAVE ONLY MEDICARE FROM DISABILITY. I NEED TO GET WELL ENOUGH FROM HERE TO GO BACK TO WORK IN 30 DAYS, CAN YOU ADVISE ME ? PLEASE

THANK YOU
SARA
@
***@****  
I was on 120 mgs of methadone a day threw a clinic. One day I checked into a detox center that put me in a 5 day plan. There plan was to detox me off methadone using lortab!! Yep I went from 120 methadone to 40 mg hydro codons in one day. Then the next day 30mg then 20 yadayada needless to say I was in hell from the moment the half life had worn down and for 14 days I did not sleep, not a single minute of sleep. I hallucinated from lack of sleep and then one glorious day I found myself waking up on a couch in the middle of the rehab. No sleeping agents whatsoever. My point here is that yes sir it ***** sooo bad but eventually your body will say goodnight. And though it takes a minute sometimes it's ten times better to let yourself get to that point without sleeping meds. I'm now 153 days sober and i thank god for the doctor at that clinic. He was the one that allowed me to go off it like that even though most doctors won't even touch the idea of someone quitting it so abruptly.
I'm on methadone detox for a little over a year
I've come along way from using an self medicating with Oxy's an blues to bringing myself to terms with my addiction.. I strated at 75 milgrams an mind you I'm 5/11 170 usually
Now I've got a cap on this I've gone down to 20mil
It took me a long time I reduced myself with my counselrs an dr permission went 2milgrams
Every other week .. It's great if you have no other underlying medical issues ill be. 28 I was 27 when I started an the constelstion never stops !!!!
But I did find in the YOGURT sections a drink 3.99$ Probiotic taste thick but you use the bathroom please try it it's wonderful
I'm desperate to get my wait down but it's as if this stuff bloats you an makes you retain water !!
No matter how low my dose is.
Im on methadone detox for a little over a year
I've come along way from tttt an self medicating with Oxy's an blues to bringing myself to terms with my addiction.. I strated at 75 milgrams an mind you I'm 5/11 170 usually
No matter how low my dose is.
I took methadone for 7 years and roxys 2 years before that. I started trying to. Quit 2 months ago. Been clean a month and it still ***** dehydration can become a problem from the constant diarrhea. In the end I think it comes down to proving your stronger than this tiny little thing that is trying to control you
Your doing it the same way I did. I would definitely do the 2.5 for a. Week before quitting it helped me a lot. I was coming off 40mg for 7 years
I think all things are possible, no medicine is stronger then "a will".. I came off 1500mg a day of roxy's, was told I'd die and everything. It was cold turkey also.. key was for me is I couldn't get more due to being locked up. Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something.. if you over think it and have doubts you can't do it then your already lossing.. these clinics and drug companies don't want you quitting. Where's the money in it for them if you do so do expect to get good advise from them.. the human brain is more powerful then any drug. Believe in yourself and just convince yourself your done. Lissen, your mind will control your body. Make yourself do things, refuse to give up. Work, go about your day telling yourself your fine. Diet and exercise.. live your life.
Hey gnarly_1........is it u that knows about the zinc and magnesium for methadone wd?  tapering off 80mg for 2 yrs..I'm at 50mg...but may need to speed things up...I dont's have time to keep going down 3mg a week...have u heard about puriphyte???? saw it on the thread...trying to get on more recent thread :>  Please let me know...anyone??
Hi, I wanted to ask for for some advice. I been on methadone for 18 years. I started off at 90 mg. been coming down and now at 54 mg. I been at 54 for a few years already. Anyways my point is medical is covering the methadone but I'll be off medical in June. I wont be able to pay for the methadone so I know I'll be kicking, so I want to know if you know what can help with the withdraws ?
I am done to 30 mg I weening ff very slow where by last week I would be down to half of a 5 mg each pill I cut down to I do each one seven days if Ido that should I be ok with with drawls. And I feel more in mouth then had before that's why I went n it
HI Gnarly,
I have read your comments and they definately gave me more will power,..  i have been on methadone for about five years now approx, in the last two years i have been slowly cutting it down. Im taking 0.2mg a day now, yes under 1mg. Since 5mg downwards took a long time, the anxiety and depression was crazy from 5mg down,. My head seems to be so messed up all the time,. in a week i should be on 0.1mg,.. i know what im taking now is little compareed to many, but yes i am worried about the post effects when i stop taking,. At this level of mg should i just kick it? or should i continue the way i do untill im drinking water pretty much,.. or this level of mg (0.2) , will my body still notice it if i kick it ? Or u think its all in my head ?
Thank You for your help,.
I so agree, your not alone good luck
were you really at 1250mg of methodone or was this a typo?  My boyfriend detoxed after 2 years, its been about a month and he still is having difficulty sleeping and he has to fight through drug cravings each day but he is making it. One day at a time.  He was constantly having to be taken up because his metabolism just went through the methodone like crazy and he didnt want to keep doing it.
Hi all, I've just been reading through these thoughts that people are posting about their experiencing with methadone.

I'm currently on methadone syrup, which I get from my local chemist daily. I personally have found it to be a life-saver as it has helped me break the cycle of going out every day to score H or Oxy or whatever and spending many days sick as a dog because I'm broke and get afford to "get on".

I've been slowly decreasing my dose and am now down to 4.5ml (or 22.5mg), and since it's a low dose I'm reducing it buy .5ml aprox every month so I don't feel too bad while adjusting.

This works for me because I have to go in every day to pick up my daily dose, so there's no option to take too much and get high or overdose and most importantly I have not used any other illicit drug for the best part of 4 months.

It's a slow process and there's still a way to go yet, but things are really looking up and I'm starting to put my life back together. At the end of the day it's up to the individual to make a decision to get clean and not just say "I'll try" but to actually start making changes. It takes time but it is so worth it! For the first time in such a very long time I actually am feeling happy again and feel like I have a chance at doing something with my life, and not just barely existing as I have for so many years.

Well that's my $0.02 worth of my personal life experince anyway. I just hope that if you are reading this and you are in a really bad place at the moment, just know that a lot of people have been there too and that there is still hope and that it's never to late to make a change :)
My boyfriend is currently going to a methadone treatment center. He has been hooked on pain medication for many many years. He has been going to the methadone clinic for about two years. He has been tampering down on his medicine for about 2-3 months now. He was at 170mg daily. He will drop down 5mg every week. He really is trying to make a change in his life and wants to get back to his normal life. He is absolutely terrified of being dope sick. He also has seasonal depression. Now that summer is over and it is working its way to fall and winter he is currently depressed, but also may be from coming off the methadone. He is at 20 mg right now, he gets "take homes" so sometimes he is taking up to two a day if he is feeling really bad. Is that okay to do while trying to come down completely? Also I have been trying my best to find vitamins that should be taken when he is completely clean of methadone or some he should be taking while detoxing. We are trying to make it through this together and I plan on doing whatever I have to do to help him through this. This is very important for him, to be able to move forward in life. For us both to move forward in life, he needs to do this. Before I used to pressure him to get off methadone, but I know in order for him to steer clear completely then he had to do it on his own time. I am so proud of him for stepping up and making the choice to do this.

Right now he is occasionally throwing up, sweating, stomach pains, and ALWAYS tired, loss of appetite. Even though he is ALWAYS tired he seems to fight his body to stay awake. I am not sure why he does this. His sleeping pattern is totally messed up. He usually gets in the bed at 3-4 am and sometimes sleeps ALL day. He gets upset with himself for doing so. He also feels like he is wasting his life doing this, which also ties in with the depression. Last night as we were talking and researching online to look for help during these hard times, he said to me, "babe, just help me find something to get my body back to normal." I want to help him so bad.

If anyone has any tips please let me know,
Thank You!

-CM
Can someone help me? I have been on Methadone for 70 months now which is almost 6 years. I was at 150 mg for 2 years then down to 120 for another 2 years and now I've come down to 50 mg at about 1 mg per week. Lately, I get some chest discomfort and chest pain but the doctors don't know what it is. I think it's methadone side effects. Has someone else ever experienced chest discomfort while being on Methadone? If so ? Should I worry or will it eventually go away?
Hi I've been on methadone for 12 years since the age of 21 I started on 150ml and now have reduced myself to 15ml and starting to feel emotional back pain runny nose struggling to sleep all night (broken sleep) and weird dreams but mostly my feelings are coming back. Ok it's not too bad at all but I'm so terrified as its been so many years I've been on this **** !!! Anyone got any advice they can give ?? I thought come down to 4/5 ml then try diazepam for a 14 day dettox ? Is this the best thing to do as I don't want subutex or any other thing like that. Thank you
Leanne
Hi I've been on methadone for 12 years and was on 150ml but now I've managed to come down to 15ml and I often get pain and discomfort at my upper stomach n rib cage sometimes I struggle to take a deep breath so yes I think it is methadone side effects as I've never had this before I started to detox. And see another doctor most doctors don't want to help they think your after more medication so seek a second opinion as it could be something called helicobactor it's a stomach infection or ulcer causes indigestion Etc but gets worse with onions garlic things like that !!! Just thought it could be that too...best of luck
i have used heroin for about 20 years off and on  in australia methadone is the program available for  minor cost to assist with your heroin addiction. they also use suboxone or similar which is buprenorphine.
for many years i fluctuated on methodone from low dose to med dose just enoughto make my heroin use as painless as possible....no money couldnt use therfore being on done was a good crutch and saved me from greater harm...it really is a matter of harm and crime minimalisation.   i was never brave enoughto comitt crime so iwould go through frequent withdrawals.  methadone was ideal...now after many years I havefinally just grown weary enough of the cycle ,lost enough and i guess suffered enough to really want to change.

i am proud to say i havent used heroin for over a year and i am finally down to one mg of methadone per day..  while my overall dose was larger i could reduce more i worked on percentage and would reduce 10 percent every  month sometimes if i felt strong every 2 weeks.. i can honestly say coming down from 60 mg s per day  to one mg per day has been by comparison to the unhappiness i have endured ,,,by comparison and realistically not too bad ...that reduction for me has maintained my sleep and  truthfully on the first night or two of  each reduction i was restless but it gets a little easier as u get lower til now... i am finding it harder to make that final leap to zero i will go to half a mg the point 25 then zero...why not what works is good
go as low on the done as is possible and then skip a day on the absolute lowest dose   even .25 mg per day  that is a very strong positive determined way to reduce ....u must have given up heroin completely to achieve this otherwise its pointless stay on done til you are ready
i was wondering if anyone could help me with helpin my brother get off methadone what is the best method and should he see a dr to do it,,,he told me he takes 2 pills a day n has done this for a yr now . what can he take to help him as well such as vitiamins n such
Hi there and welcome! This is an old thread that you are posting on. If you go to the top of the page and hit the orange 'post a question' link you can start your own post, tell your story, and ask questions you may have. That will help more people to see it which means more advice and support. I don't have any personal experience with Methadone, but there are a ton of folks on here that do. There is also a forum called 'living with an addict' on this site. You might want to check that out to get some support for yourself. Please take care and I wish you and your brother all the best.
My daughter has been on 10,mg Methadone for 10 years for severe back and leg pain but the doctor now is talking about taking her off it.  What now, hse is more afraid of the pain than the withdrawal?  Can a Dr. really do this cold turkey?
I HAVE BEEN ON METHADONE FOR 10 YEARS NOW, AT 280MG . I STARTING DETOXING FIRST IT WAS 1MG A WEEK NOW IT;S 5MG A WEEK SINCE I HAVE STARTED THIS DETOX OH BY THE WAY I;M AT ABOUT 155MG /160MG NOW BUT SINCE I STARTED , I HAVE NOTICES VERY BAD SWEELING IN MY ANKLES ALL THE WAY UP TO MY KNEES DOES THE SWEELING AND VERY VERY  VERY HURTFUL PAIN HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS , IVE HAD EVERY TEST FROM HUNDREDS OF BLOOD TEST TO MRI'S TO ULTRA SOUNDS FOR BLOOD CLOT'S EVER SINGLE TEST CAME OUT CLEAN AS I DON'T KNOW WHAT.. THE SWELLING BEGINS IN ANKLES THEN LEG'S ALL THE WAY UP TO MY KNEE, I HOPE SOME ONE OUT HERE CAN HELP . I;M SCARED TO DEATH , AND ON TOP OF THIS I,M BYPOLAR BAD . LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER AND THIS I.M GOING THROUGH DON'T HELP A BIT .... PLEASE HELP ME
you can do it
hi my name is hawk123. im at 40 mg and im on a ten mg a week taper . im pretty worried about it . is thier anything i can do to help the process along.  thanks for the support.
Me too - I thought it was just me.  I used to be outgoing, have a lot of friends, WANT to do things - now, all I want to do is sleep and veg on the couch.  I have been on them for going on three years now - take 2 - 4 pills at 10mg per day also even though I am prescribed 6 pills per day.  I am trying to wean myself off but am scared to death of what it's going to feel like.  I have a full-time job and cannot afford to miss.  Glad to know I'm not losing my mind nor am I alone.  Hope you're doing better!!
My daughter is in her first day of No Methadone, can you help us get through this please!?!?!?

Ldfs
if you still check this tread please help. I am coming off methadone (MMT) I have been on it for 8 years. I was at 190 ML. I have slowly tapered from that dose for about 2 years. I am now down to approximately 1Ml. Tomorrow is my last dose! Thank God I am almost there. I woke up really filling crappy, but it has got better thru the day. Is it going to get much worse for me after I finish my last dose? I have problems sleeping and have no energy but it is doable. I do not want to switch to suboxone or subutex I am ready to get this out of my life for good! Any advice would help. Thank you all
Hey everyone, new to this site and also I used to be addicted to opiates, but have been clean for about 10 years. Trust me it WILL get better, you just have to hang on and believe in yourself. I recently had major lower back surgery and was put right back on pain killers. This time it was 20mg tabs of oxycontin, 20mg tabs of oxycodone, 25mcg patches of fentanyl, Norco 10/325, 7.5/325 and 5/325. Quite the concoction of meds but I truly was in serious pain after surgery. Knowing just how bad the withdrawals truly are, I found my inner strength to stop cold turkey on the stronger stuff and use the Norcos to ween myself down and did it in 2 weeks. YES, I still had withdrawals, but stood up, squared up on it and won. I have also been on methadone in the past (prescribed by my regular Dr in Colorado). I had her ween me off them and it took 2 months at a fairly quick pace and I had no withdrawals then. Your best bet is like everyone else says, stay off pain killers if at all possible. They are great for the intended purpose, but like we said in the Army- "watch your six" because they will grab ahold of you if your not careful. Stay strong, stay informed, and stay in touch with others who know what your going thru, you are NOT lower class or some kind of a demon.