Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Detoxing off Methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 401-469 comments:
Gnarly - thank you for the reply.  Today was a tough day!  She was so misrable from the detox that she wnated to go get something to help with the pain.  We stood our ground and said NO and we will take you to the hospital.  They gave her some medicine to help with the withdrawals and reminded her she was already 5 days in the withdrawal and the worse is almost over.  She is sore, body aches and very tired, We are just waiting on a bed to get her into the detox / recovery center.  We are Christians and will look into celebration recovery.  Today was hard but we are hopeful that tomorrow will be better,  God Bless and thank you!
HI  they probably gave her clonadine its an old fashine B/P med that helps with withdrawals just make sure she take it as directed they may have gave her xanex oe atavan for the anxiety as long as the script is small for like a week you ok with that I hope she is still willing to go to rehab she will learn much about her disease there and lean how to fight it this is nothing that you grow out of opiates put a strong hold on the mind and you will alway crave them but you dont have to be a slave to the cravings you can learn to surrender to the disease accept the fact you have it and do the things necessary to stay clean
living in recovery is a beautiful thing ...I look forwad to meeting with my counselor weekly and if im weak in off to an NA meeting you need to be pro/active in your recovery to stay ahead of your disease let me know how it goes kicking methadone is a ruff ride its the worst of the narcotics to kick not that its more sever but it last so much  longer then the rest there is power in prayer  ...I remember screaming at my wife im going to be a Fing junkie the rest of my life she layed hads on me and prayed and I was at piece this is a battle ageist the principality of darkness shine Jesus's light on it if it wasent for God I would have never made it out I will keep your family in my prayers..........Gnarly    
gnarly - you are correct, they gave her clonadine and today she is a different person.  We are beginning to see that we are getting our daughter back.  God does answers prayers.  We know this is not the end but after last night and spending the evening in the ER we view today as a big step forward.  You are a God send.  You have hit so many of the targets to the exact drug and symptom.  We were able, hopefully, to get rid of the dealer, ex-boyfriend, and at least prevent him from destroying other people's lives.  We are not living in a fantasy world and know the drugs and the dealers are still out there and the ultimate decision comes from the user.  This situation has opened my eyes and gave me a clear understanding that NO ONE is excluded from drug abuse and dependency.  As a parent it breaks your heart to see your child suffer and feel helpless.  What I have learned and seen in just a realitive short amount of time is that Methadone is a destructive, costly and scary drug.  Those that are on it are very afraid about staying on it and afraid of the detox from coming off of it.  There is no Win/Win until you stand up and fight through it and fight for your life. You and many others on this site are examples that you can come out on the other side and regain your life back.  I will continue to pray for those fighting the battle and will do what I can to help! One day I hope my daughter can help someone like she was helped!  
My name is diva i did not know i could go on this web and tell people about my prob without being judged or made feel like a worthless drug addict i am 28yrs old i have two beautiful kids,but im so scared i am addicted to methadone right now i take 4 pills aday 10mg i know alot of people are saying thats nothing ...but for me it is and its all i think about if i dont have it i swear i wake up on a search for that next meth pill i want to stop i was a awsome fun out going person before i started taking them ,and i wan to find that girl again.I would love some advice i am so tired of spending money that i know could be going to my children on making some drug dealer rich ive been on them for 1 1/2 yrs please help me.......yours truly (a diva in a pool of tears scared too death) p.s you just might save my life......
HI  and welcome to the forum so you on 40mg a day thats enough to be hooked bet not high as far as most dosing goes methadone needs to be tapered off slowly where not aloud to give taper plans on the open foum but the idea is to go slow let a few days go by in between doses till your down to like 1/2 a pill then jump off the withdrawal is typical achy/chills/hot flashes anxiety the runs restless legs.....it a lot like ketching the flu it last about 7 days
but can go into 10 days then its the post withdrawal that makes methadone so hard to break free from you get hit with an energy crash and sleep becomes imposible this can drag on for a couple of months you just got to set your mind up in the beginning that you comited to getting better it not like you dont you do as you go along its just painfully slow ......I have helped a lot of people off this drug if you would like I can help you also
good luck and God bless........Gnarly  
check your e/mail i sent you a message..........Gnarly
Hi, I was reading this page trying to get some help with detoxing of methadone. I have been in a clinic getting methadone for a little over a year and been on opiates for at least the last five years, but i really desire a "normal" life. I have went from 180 mgs. to nothing in the last 2 months. At first everything was ok, i went down 10mgs a week and felt ok, not great, but ok. Now in the last 2 weeks, I went from  10mgs. to nothing, and feel like i am dying. I cant sleep, restless leg sydrome, diarehea, nausea, no energy, sneezing, and watering eyes. Just cant get any relief at all, I have no one to go to talk to and ask for advice so I am coming to the good ol internet. please help, like i am desperate at this moment.
hi colbyb you came off to fast jumping from 10 can be a ruff ride on the bright side most of the physical stuff should be over soon but the energy crash and lack of sleep can go on a wile a few months......pick up some magnesium and potassium for your legs it should help getting off this stuff is ruff I did it 2yr3mo ago and still remember how bad it was
recovery is slow pick up some whey protein shake mix at walmart a 2 lb can is only 15 bucks its got the amino acids and extra vitamins along with raw protein all of witch the brain needs to heal drink 2 a day till you come around you got to be in this for the long haul getting over methadone takes a wile but it is so so worth it in the end good luck and God bless.......Gnarly  
find out everything you can about BEN FUCHs and tangy tangerine and BI CARB soda. Its a nutritional deficiency
PURIPHYTE...
Do whatever  you can to get this.  It is the only thing FDA approved on the market.  It is formulated to help your body with all of the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms out there.  I recently went from 100mg going down 5mg/week until I got to 20mgs and then stopped. Recently after I found the Puriphte website.  I can't even explain all of the benefits it has and the positive testimonials they have on their site.  Just see for yourself.  The only issue is that their site always says sold out but if you keep looking through the search results there is one site that if you scroll down you are able to get 2 bottles for $100.  I took loads of vitamins which did help some but not when I got in the thick of the withdrawls.  
This product changed everything for me and I want to share this with as many people as I know.  Anyone suffering from addiction and are  having trouble getting clean because of the withdrawls associated with their substance of choice will greatly greatly benefit from this.

PURIPHYTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey there. I absolutely need all of the advice I can get bc I just have no idea what to do. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated...So, I've only been going to the methadone clinic for 4 months now. Before that I was doing about a gram of heroin a day. Methadone has really helped me as far as having no cravings and remaining clean with other opiates. However, I am on 120 mg a day of methadone and I simply want off of it all together. Not only do I hate having to drive to Indiana everyday, It really does add up when your jobless and looking for employment, 14.00 a day is hard right now, including the gas. UUUJgghh!!! Im pretty much stuck! Does anyone relate to what I'm saying or is it just me?Does anyone know if there is a clinic in ohio or nearby northern, KY that will allow you to charge the whenever is needed? I actually had a session with my counselor today and asked her what to do..She said if I go to a detox center for 120 mgs and detox off that I will be really really sick. She mentioned it would be better to decrease 1-2 mg's a week until I get down to 0. Idk what else to do. Help!!!
hi well bdetoxing off 120mg will be torture wher not aloud to give taper plans on the forum but you can go a lot faster then 2mg a week.....I tapered off 150mg in 8 1.2 mo right now your sorta stuck I would suggest sub but you got to be at 30mg or lowe and its expensive check the local citys close to you there are lots of clinics out there check the pages of the free papers like new times they usually advertise on the back page also call your clinic and tell them you cant make it in is there somewhere closer to you that will couticy dose you then you will nkow where there is a close clinic other then that your stuck on it a wile you can get off I did but it is          
painfully  slow this is a race one by the tortus not the hare stick with us here on the forum go to the top of the page there is an orange button click on it and start your own thread it will get a lot more responses when you start to taper off will talk there is some vitamins that really help good luck to you and God bless......Gnarly    
im 26 years old male i've been on methadone now for four years and im down to 15mg from 195mgs...when i hit 25mgs i thought u no what i can do this im quitting cold turkey :-( lets just say that didnt work out..i relapsed cause the feelings in my legs the sweats ,no sleep drives u nuts...looking like **** and the depresstion doent help eather i also take 6mg of clonazepam 2mgs through out the day three times..and something called APO-Divalproex 500mg 2 tablets at night to help sleep now getting to sleep isnt the prob. any more its staying there lol...and clonidene for sweating...but anyways do u have any idea how to make this pail face and eating issue go away i cant eat im losing weight..i look like **** lol but im almost there...but have to take my time i guess..thx for listening
Well,  sitting here at work reading all the posts...  My son has sniffed some Opanas a couple of weeks ago only to top it off with a handfull of Kalodipen (?)  sleeping medicine.....  By the time I got to him he was non responsive....  I can not tell you how scared I was.  That was a little over a week ago.  He is feeling better today but his sleep issues are horrible.  He is depressed and says that he can go for days on end with no sleep and not eating.  2 yrs ago he suffered with a herion addiction.  Went from that to opiates (oxys) to court ordered rehab and clean....Now this.....I watch as his life is spirelling out of control.  
As I read all the posts here I can't help but to think of the mothers that are also watching their sons and daughters going through detox.  I have to be perfactly honest...  I do not understand drugs....and maybe that is a problem. But remember I am not the one that is dope sick, freezing, pucking and not sleeping.  I am the one that would love nothing better to find a remedy to help everyone on these posts to never have to go through this again.
Anyone know any good ideas for the sleep issue?  I have also read about the Withdrawel ease.  Just don't know if that would really work.
Any help would be appreciated..........
hello i was reading your information i have been on methdone pills since 2005 but i was never really on a high dose. I have gone from 31/2 pills to right now for the last two weeks taking 1 and 1/2.  but i was taking two for like the last two years. Can you please tell me if you think i will have trouble quitting.? And i just moved from texas to New York and as you know it snows here alot so it really mess my moods alot. I been trying to lose alittle weight and its hard for me to motivate myself to get going in the mornings is there anything that you can help me with as far as can i take something to help gave me energy that isnt going to affect me in the wrong way. and help me with the last part of the methdone stage. also what do you think i could do to help me though this last part.  thank you
I'm feeling all your pain, iv not had my methadone now going on a week and I'm still having shakes and cold sweats. Iv had loads of symptoms coming off methadone over the 7 years it made me lose the top of my hair, but it seems ti be growing back now I'm not taking it. What I wanted to say tho, when they put me on methadone I was greetfull for it but I didn't have no explanation about all the really bad side effects! Methadone should come with information stating how many it cones with! If I would of known I would of gone on subutects. I just want to say it does get better and don't be afraid to ask for help. Alot of water is the key and tonic water it quinine in it, for the sleep vodka or whisky helps aswell hope this helps for u. The quinine is for the leg shakes .
I realize I'm a bit late in this as your post is several months old. I couldn't help but wonder though, how are you now? Did things work out? My Husband and  I have been on Methadone for almost 10 years now. We went to a clinic for help (Was addicted to Vic's, perc's, etc.) and now we are so much worse off than we were when we first sought help. We were naive to Methadone Clinics and were completely unaware of what we were truly getting ourselves into.We had  full time jobs and going into a rehab facility for 60-90 days was NOT an option. A mortgage, two car payments, along with many other responsibilities made it impossible for us to just take leave for a few months. Arrangements could have been made for our 2 children but, by the time we would have completed rehab, we would have come home to nothing...not even jobs. So, Methadone at the time seemed like the answer. And My God were we happy to have found the clinic! We both actually had a good cry, saying "This is it. We are finally going to get our lives back." We were reassured by the clinic staff numerous times that "Most clients successfully wean off the Methadone within a year of starting the program." What they don't tell you is..."Your life is ours now. You will be a slave to this drug...."
HI Nadine.......you can come off methadone even after yrs of use I did after being a slave for 6 1/2 yrs.....I was at 1250mg and it took 8 1/2 mo to ween down but I did it....it takes some perseverance and resolve but it is doable and life is so much better methadone free
you just got to be in it for the long haul and be ready for it to take a wile to get well it took me about 90 days to feel better sleep was ruff
but in the long run you do get you life back now I help others that want to do it so if you need some help I will be happy to help you get off the stuff just make a comitment to yourself and remember this is a race one by the tortus not the hare slow and steady wins the race good luck to you and God bless........Gnarly
is it really safe to detox by yourself. I heard of people dying from going cold turkey from those two drugs.  How many mgs are you on?
Hey there. 3 months ago I was on 40mg a day and had been for 7 years. I have been tapering 2.5mg every week and have been doing fine. I`m now at 20mg a day and ready to drop another 2,5mg. I just say the doctor and showed him EKG and blood results. He said I am doing it right. 2.5mg a week until I get down to 10mg a day. That is when I need to taper slower. That is just so the withdrawls won`t be so bad.  The suppliments and B-6 help a lot too.
I weened down to 1 mg every other day so ihoght I had it licked. Boy was I surprised. It was harder getting off that 1/2 mg a day was worse than the withdrawal I had off 10 10s a day. That threw me.
Yes I've been at th methadone clinic for 2 1\2 years now i was on 130mg that was n nov 2011 n i got down all the way to 20mg , Well it's been 7 day without the methadone i am soo sick of it!!!! Please can sum1 help me i need to find out what can i take 2 help with the dt??????
Hey, I have only been on Methadone for 1 month. 55mg a day. I use to be a heroin addict but have not used in a month. If I stop Methadone now, Will I still have really bad withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms)? I never knew how bad methadone was until I started reading all these posts.
That comment is for anyone. If anyone can give me any answers I would appeciate it. thanks
Hey hon...you posted in an old thread...go to the top of the forum and click on post a question and you will get more response that way...anyway, you will have to taper the methadone way down before stopping...remember the slower the better..if you stop at 55mg the withdrawals are going to be bad..you want to try and taper down to 5mg before stopping...today I've been off methadone for 40 days...if I can help at all let me know...you can message me anytime....good luck!...Teri  :)
Should I taper down 5mg per day or per week? and when I'm down to 5mg, will I still have withdrawls? Congrats on your 40 days! Thats awesome!!!!!
I am pregnant too I was with my son too hes now 3 Do not quit your methadone both my docs know about each other and say it is very dangerous to quit while pregnant Your baby isnt fully developed and cannot handle the shock to their system When I was pregnant with my son I was on 130 a day because I knew the chances were that he would be born addicted I took my methadone only when my body told me I had to It seemed to work My son was born ok had the sneezes and poops but did not have to take anything We too had to stay int he hospital for 10 days but only to be sure he would be ok and he was This time I started going down after I had my son and have been going down during my pregnancy But both doctors have told me how important it is to do it right not to put baby under any stress That could cause premature labour or worse Please be patient and trust the process Whats 12 days out of the rest of there life Besides chances are your baby will not be in as much trouble this time 10 is a minute amount This has been said to by my docs Im at 14 now and have 15 weeks to go and they suggest I dont go down too fast even from 14 Be safe Good luck

I have been on methadone for 7 years. 110mgs/day came from a clinic and 50mgs more per day came from dealers. 1.5 years ago I cut off all contact with the dealers and remained on my 110mg/day dose for 6 months. For the last year I have been decreasing very slowly. 10mgs every 2 weeks until about 90mgs and it has been 5mgs decrease every two weeks since. I am right now at 15mgs/day. I have been keeping a blog (of symptoms and everything in between) since I was at 40mgs because I could never find anyone to talk to that had been through what I was going through. It is a very taxing and scary time and I wanted something to be there to show people it can be done.
I wish I had good news for most of you but I do not. Fact is, I still can find very little info on people that have actually kicked methadone. Will I? ******* right but it has been the worst fight of my life and then some. Every mistake and misstep of your past will pay you a visit, and they don't come mercifully.
When it's over I will owe a significant portion of my debt to the support system around me. I've surrounded myself with many barriers and my family has been on the front lines with me the whole way. Trust me- you will not beat this drug alone. It has the worst hooks of all the opiates and I am sure of nothing more.
I so wish all of you the perseverance you will need to get clean of this beast of a drug. My blog is ismelltherain.me for anyone interested.
HI..........I kicked methadone 959 days ago it is doable but it takes perseverance and resolve .......if your not already on the vitamins get on them its a 3 in one you can pick up at walmart its calcium/magnesium/zinc it will really help your withdrawals out
I started it at 40mg coming off 150mg it cut mine in 1/2 you take 4 in the morning and 4 at dinner in about 3 days you will feel it working
this is a race won by the tortus not the  haire take your time make your drops small we cannot give out tapering info on the forum everybodys differet follow your clinics instructions if you need someone to talk to just message me I help most of the methadoinans that come threw the forum good luck and God bless.........Gnarly    
Hey,  
  I you can come off of methadone!!!  I started of taking tabs then i moved to roxys.  When i realized i couldnt continue to seek out painkillers daily and lead a normal life i started attending a methadone clinic.  I stayed at the clinic for a year.  My highest dose was 85mg.  I detoxes ama (agianst medical approvel)  en mg every week until i got to 30 mg.  Then i continued down but at 5 mg every week until i was at 10 mg. September 8, 2011 i took my last dose.  It was physically very hard.  The pain lasted about a month. The insominia lasted longer.  Im telling you these things not to scare you but to warn you.  You should be prepared.  You can do it!!!  I found that my vitamin store had alot to offer to help with the insominia. They also have vitamin coctails that help rebiuld your nervious system.  The methadone hurts your opiate receptors in your brain.  Your body produces natural opiates which make you feel good among other things...im not a dr so i cant explain it, but i do know that it is so very important.  
  Methadone is made to be a matience drug.  They say it is made for long term use, but really it is made to be used for life. You can kick it!!!  It was the hardest thing i have ever done, but it was the BEST thing i have ever done.  You may hate yourself during the process, but you will never regret it.  You are strong enough!  You are worth it!  You deserve it! You can do it.
Hi Ive been on methadone for more a little more then 2 years ,I was at 50 mgs ,I didnt hang around at this dose for many months or years ,I started going down right away ,after I was stable ,going down 5 till I hit 40mgs then stated weaning down 2 2 mills for about a month ,then 3 mills for about a month and so on ,when I got to 20 mills my doc started weaning me down 2 mills every 2 weeks ,then when I got to 10 mills Iam tapering 1 mill every 2 weeks ,Iam at 5 mills now its still going good ,Iam now wondering is this going to get tough ,after I seen all thease posts ,but I havent felt any withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms yet? but Iam going to go buy the vitamins and protein shakes ,hopefully it will be good,but one thing Ive done is pray alot.
I found out today my husband has a bad addiction to methadone.  He said he is taking 30 pills a day.  How many milligrams would that be?  He is also doing the liquid.  Someone please help me understand so I can help him quit this drug
Im sorry 30 mg
good luck,

i know exactly what you are going through. I myself have no moral support, that is until my younger cousin recently came to stay with me. So again I agree with you on the sad part. He doesnt fully understand what I will be going though and what I actually do go through but he atleast is here for me. He wants me off and even said he will wait on me hand and foot to see me off this shi*.
Its all moral for myself as well. And of course I am unempyeed and living day to day is already stressful so knowing I will be sick and CANT EVEN LOOK for a job is terrifying.

Best of Luck

Brittany
Pensacola Florida
***@****
I have read some of the letters on here where you have been helping peep and I need some help. Been on methadone for 8 years for chronic migraines and was up to 160mgs a day. I am down to 10 - 15 mgs a day. I went down kind of fast I thot considering the dr has me going down 10 mg every 2 weeks I am ahead of his schedule. I have not discussed this with him because he seems like it will be no problem stopping them. He acts like just one day  I will just quit taking them and not have any W/D. Oh how I wish because some times I can feel like w/d starting and I take 1/4 of a 10mg pill. Otherwise I take 1/2 when I go to bed and 1/2 about 8 hours later when I get up. I feel like I'm stuck at this dose and can't go down any more. Maybe I'm just trying to rush it I don't know. I don't really have any support and live by myself. I wanted to be off of them completely when I return to work but thats in 2 weeks so Im not going to make it. I will pick up some vitamins when I go to the store but I have to make myself go to the store. Somedays I don't ever get out of bed or bother getting dressed. As I write this I'm cold but sweating and really trying not to take any medicine. I read about the sub therapy but that seems like one more thing to wean off of. Just having a really hard time with this and sometimes feel like giving up.
                                                                                          mellow885
i have been on doone for near 2 yrs now i started at 120 a day now down to 45 i just want to get offf the crap am thinking about just going cold turkey has anyone done this with success i work fulltime and cant get time off my job is very physical so was thinking i could just sweat it out of me it cant be that bad surely not sleeping dont bother me i originally got on it for chronic pain not for abuse issues just curious as if anyone has tried cold turkey and if so how did it cheersMark
HEY PEEPS!! LINA HERE TO HELP, I WAS ON METHADONE 5 YEARS AGO FROM WITHDRAWLS FROM OXYS AND INTINTINALLY I DIDNT GO ABOVE 25MG CZ I KNEW I WOULDNT STAY ON IT! THE CLINICS HATE THAT, THEY WANT YOU TO GO UP AND UP SO YOU CAN BE THERE SLAVE, AND THEY YELLED AT ME AND ACCUSSED ME OF USING AND CONSTANTLY DRUG TESTED ME AND IT WAS NEGATIVE LOL ANYWAY I KICKED IT EASILY WITH 0000 WITHDRAWL (withdrawal)! I TOOK OXY AFTER 24HRS OF BEING ON MD AND DRANK BEER AND THAT MADE ME PUKE MY GUTS UP FOR 15 HRS! THEN THE NEXT DAY I TOOK A SUBOXONE AND WAS GREAT!! NOW IVE BEEN BACK ON METHADONE AGAIN FOR THE LAST 10 MONTHS, 26MG A DAY, AND IM ABOUT TO GET OFF OF IT AND I HAVE MY SUBS ON HAND!! IF YOU CALL NOVUS REHAB IN TAMPA FLORIDA THEY TELL YOU WHEN THEY DETOX YOU THEY GIVE YOU OXYCODONE FOR 2 DAYS THEN SUBOXONE FOR 6 AND IV'S OF VITAMINS AND ITS A 100% PAINLESS DETOX!! TRUST ME SUBS ARE A MIRACLE PILL!!!! BUT DONT TAKE THEM LONGER THAN A WEEK OR YOU WILL HAVE W/D SUBS ARE EASY TO GET FROM ANY DOCTOR! THEY LOVE TO PRESCRIBE THEM! THEY ARE 100% SAFE AS LONG AS YOU DONT MIX THEM WITH ANYTHING!!!!
hi you are an exception to the rule methadone is any thing but ez to get off ....now you where smart and kept your dose low but very few get away with an ez time of it I help lots of people each yr do it congrats on wanting to get off again wish you luck let us know how it goes for you the second time..................Gnarly
I had a terrible oxy,dilaudid, lortab, anything I could get my hands on problem and got on methadone 2 years ago. I tried twice to slowly taper but found it just made the w/d's last longer. 42 days ago I quit ct and I was taking 350mg day! I did a lot of research on methadone w/d and my doc had me on clonidine, visteril, and phenergen. I didn't sleep at all the 1st 8 days! I was hallucinating, hearing stuff, and having serious panic attacks! I ended up in the e.r. and the doc gave me ativan. It made me sleep, finally!! The insomnia is what is destroying me! I was taking ambien for 8 nights, I had terrible nightmares but I slept. When I ran out I had the worst w/d ever! Which caused me to take lortab to make it stop! Its hard to stay sober because when I take something I sleep and when I don't I toss and turn and if I fall asleep I wake up 30 minutes later in a cold sweat! It every night. I work out so hard and do so much to exhaust myself but still don't sleep! Its a mess. Somehow we just have to push through. I do take Valerian root and melatonin, they are natural. They don't knock me out but at least help make me a bit calm. I do know going without sleep can make u nuts! Just wanted you to know you aren't alone in your situation.
Hi Iam on methadone and taperingoff 10mg a week I went from 95 to 45 and am very sick!! I can't keep food down and I could sleep all the time.y doctor ***** and gave me the clonidine but wont give me the ativan,he says it too dangerous and would want me to see hiom every other day.Which to me is im trying tro make money and dont care how sick i am..I hate theposition I'm in and wish i never went to methadone or took those pills for my pain cuz i feel aweful ..My husband is coming off to but he still is at a high dose and im afraid he wont be able to handle this what is your advice..??? thanks' harley girl44
My father is trying to get off methadone. He is losing his license for DUI and facing jail time or in luu of jail hopefully go to rehab. The problem is that he has been on it for 15 years and he is almost 60 with hep c and mental probs and also liver probs. he takes 100mg and the rehab will detox him off it only seven days. He did it once and was fine till he was low on mgs. I'm scared for him bc I'm not sure how his body will react and if he gets addicted to his norcoutics. Please help! Need answers.
I know this post is old, bit i was hoping you could help me. I did the same as u. Tapered slowly (1mg a week) and just dropped at 3. I feel fine during the day time bur nights, im lucky if i can sleep an hr. How long did this last for you? What can i do to help myself sleep?
I've been on the juice methadone for 13yrs.At the mid/end of June I started going down 10mg a week til i got to 20mg then 5 mg a week.through-out entire tappering i felt fine,but tomorrow i go down to 2 1/2 mg for 7 days.Now i'm starting to feel like ****,adament about not taking pills to solve issue,hell the pills started this crap in the first place.any suggestions that will or might help would be great.....Or should i just go cold turkey and forget the 2 1/2 mg????
HOW SLOW SHOULD I GET OFF. I WAS ON 100MG A DAY FOR 5 YEARS FOR CHRONIC PAIN. I AM NOW DOWN TO 20 MG A DAY. I WAS ABLE TO GET FROM 100MG TO 20 WITHOUT MUCH TROUBLE, IT TOOK ABOUT 3 WEEKS TO REDUCE TO 20 MG A DAY. I WENT AT 5 MG REDUCTION A DAY TILL NOW BUT I KNOW I MUST SLOW WAY DOWN NOW. I AM GOING TO TAKE A MONTH LEAVE OF ABSENCE AND TRY TO GET THE REST OF THE WAY OFF, AND BE WELL ENOUGH TO GO BACK TO WORK IN 30 DAYS. I WILL HAVE A HARD TIME EXERCISING AS I CAN HARDLEY STAND AND WALK ON 12 FAILED FOOT SURGERYS(6 ON EACH FOOT), BUT I CAN RIDE A BIKE SOME AND MAYBE SWIM. I HAVE A CLONIDINE PERSCRIPTION AND I HAVE PLENTY OF md LEFT BUT THEY ARE 10 MG PILLS AND HARD TO CUT IN LESS THAN 2.5MG SECTIONS. i ALSO HAVE SOME SOMA DUE TO BACK PAIN FROM FUSION. .MY DR. KNOWS VERY LITTLE ABOUT HOW TO HELP ME AND I HAVE ONLY MEDICARE FROM DISABILITY. I NEED TO GET WELL ENOUGH FROM HERE TO GO BACK TO WORK IN 30 DAYS, CAN YOU ADVISE ME ? PLEASE

THANK YOU
SARA
@
***@****  
I was on 120 mgs of methadone a day threw a clinic. One day I checked into a detox center that put me in a 5 day plan. There plan was to detox me off methadone using lortab!! Yep I went from 120 methadone to 40 mg hydro codons in one day. Then the next day 30mg then 20 yadayada needless to say I was in hell from the moment the half life had worn down and for 14 days I did not sleep, not a single minute of sleep. I hallucinated from lack of sleep and then one glorious day I found myself waking up on a couch in the middle of the rehab. No sleeping agents whatsoever. My point here is that yes sir it ***** sooo bad but eventually your body will say goodnight. And though it takes a minute sometimes it's ten times better to let yourself get to that point without sleeping meds. I'm now 153 days sober and i thank god for the doctor at that clinic. He was the one that allowed me to go off it like that even though most doctors won't even touch the idea of someone quitting it so abruptly.
I'm on methadone detox for a little over a year
I've come along way from using an self medicating with Oxy's an blues to bringing myself to terms with my addiction.. I strated at 75 milgrams an mind you I'm 5/11 170 usually
Now I've got a cap on this I've gone down to 20mil
It took me a long time I reduced myself with my counselrs an dr permission went 2milgrams
Every other week .. It's great if you have no other underlying medical issues ill be. 28 I was 27 when I started an the constelstion never stops !!!!
But I did find in the YOGURT sections a drink 3.99$ Probiotic taste thick but you use the bathroom please try it it's wonderful
I'm desperate to get my wait down but it's as if this stuff bloats you an makes you retain water !!
No matter how low my dose is.
Im on methadone detox for a little over a year
I've come along way from tttt an self medicating with Oxy's an blues to bringing myself to terms with my addiction.. I strated at 75 milgrams an mind you I'm 5/11 170 usually
No matter how low my dose is.
I took methadone for 7 years and roxys 2 years before that. I started trying to. Quit 2 months ago. Been clean a month and it still ***** dehydration can become a problem from the constant diarrhea. In the end I think it comes down to proving your stronger than this tiny little thing that is trying to control you
Your doing it the same way I did. I would definitely do the 2.5 for a. Week before quitting it helped me a lot. I was coming off 40mg for 7 years
I think all things are possible, no medicine is stronger then "a will".. I came off 1500mg a day of roxy's, was told I'd die and everything. It was cold turkey also.. key was for me is I couldn't get more due to being locked up. Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something.. if you over think it and have doubts you can't do it then your already lossing.. these clinics and drug companies don't want you quitting. Where's the money in it for them if you do so do expect to get good advise from them.. the human brain is more powerful then any drug. Believe in yourself and just convince yourself your done. Lissen, your mind will control your body. Make yourself do things, refuse to give up. Work, go about your day telling yourself your fine. Diet and exercise.. live your life.
Hey gnarly_1........is it u that knows about the zinc and magnesium for methadone wd?  tapering off 80mg for 2 yrs..I'm at 50mg...but may need to speed things up...I dont's have time to keep going down 3mg a week...have u heard about puriphyte???? saw it on the thread...trying to get on more recent thread :>  Please let me know...anyone??
Hi, I wanted to ask for for some advice. I been on methadone for 18 years. I started off at 90 mg. been coming down and now at 54 mg. I been at 54 for a few years already. Anyways my point is medical is covering the methadone but I'll be off medical in June. I wont be able to pay for the methadone so I know I'll be kicking, so I want to know if you know what can help with the withdraws ?
I am done to 30 mg I weening ff very slow where by last week I would be down to half of a 5 mg each pill I cut down to I do each one seven days if Ido that should I be ok with with drawls. And I feel more in mouth then had before that's why I went n it
HI Gnarly,
I have read your comments and they definately gave me more will power,..  i have been on methadone for about five years now approx, in the last two years i have been slowly cutting it down. Im taking 0.2mg a day now, yes under 1mg. Since 5mg downwards took a long time, the anxiety and depression was crazy from 5mg down,. My head seems to be so messed up all the time,. in a week i should be on 0.1mg,.. i know what im taking now is little compareed to many, but yes i am worried about the post effects when i stop taking,. At this level of mg should i just kick it? or should i continue the way i do untill im drinking water pretty much,.. or this level of mg (0.2) , will my body still notice it if i kick it ? Or u think its all in my head ?
Thank You for your help,.
I so agree, your not alone good luck
were you really at 1250mg of methodone or was this a typo?  My boyfriend detoxed after 2 years, its been about a month and he still is having difficulty sleeping and he has to fight through drug cravings each day but he is making it. One day at a time.  He was constantly having to be taken up because his metabolism just went through the methodone like crazy and he didnt want to keep doing it.
Hi all, I've just been reading through these thoughts that people are posting about their experiencing with methadone.

I'm currently on methadone syrup, which I get from my local chemist daily. I personally have found it to be a life-saver as it has helped me break the cycle of going out every day to score H or Oxy or whatever and spending many days sick as a dog because I'm broke and get afford to "get on".

I've been slowly decreasing my dose and am now down to 4.5ml (or 22.5mg), and since it's a low dose I'm reducing it buy .5ml aprox every month so I don't feel too bad while adjusting.

This works for me because I have to go in every day to pick up my daily dose, so there's no option to take too much and get high or overdose and most importantly I have not used any other illicit drug for the best part of 4 months.

It's a slow process and there's still a way to go yet, but things are really looking up and I'm starting to put my life back together. At the end of the day it's up to the individual to make a decision to get clean and not just say "I'll try" but to actually start making changes. It takes time but it is so worth it! For the first time in such a very long time I actually am feeling happy again and feel like I have a chance at doing something with my life, and not just barely existing as I have for so many years.

Well that's my $0.02 worth of my personal life experince anyway. I just hope that if you are reading this and you are in a really bad place at the moment, just know that a lot of people have been there too and that there is still hope and that it's never to late to make a change :)
My boyfriend is currently going to a methadone treatment center. He has been hooked on pain medication for many many years. He has been going to the methadone clinic for about two years. He has been tampering down on his medicine for about 2-3 months now. He was at 170mg daily. He will drop down 5mg every week. He really is trying to make a change in his life and wants to get back to his normal life. He is absolutely terrified of being dope sick. He also has seasonal depression. Now that summer is over and it is working its way to fall and winter he is currently depressed, but also may be from coming off the methadone. He is at 20 mg right now, he gets "take homes" so sometimes he is taking up to two a day if he is feeling really bad. Is that okay to do while trying to come down completely? Also I have been trying my best to find vitamins that should be taken when he is completely clean of methadone or some he should be taking while detoxing. We are trying to make it through this together and I plan on doing whatever I have to do to help him through this. This is very important for him, to be able to move forward in life. For us both to move forward in life, he needs to do this. Before I used to pressure him to get off methadone, but I know in order for him to steer clear completely then he had to do it on his own time. I am so proud of him for stepping up and making the choice to do this.

Right now he is occasionally throwing up, sweating, stomach pains, and ALWAYS tired, loss of appetite. Even though he is ALWAYS tired he seems to fight his body to stay awake. I am not sure why he does this. His sleeping pattern is totally messed up. He usually gets in the bed at 3-4 am and sometimes sleeps ALL day. He gets upset with himself for doing so. He also feels like he is wasting his life doing this, which also ties in with the depression. Last night as we were talking and researching online to look for help during these hard times, he said to me, "babe, just help me find something to get my body back to normal." I want to help him so bad.

If anyone has any tips please let me know,
Thank You!

-CM
Can someone help me? I have been on Methadone for 70 months now which is almost 6 years. I was at 150 mg for 2 years then down to 120 for another 2 years and now I've come down to 50 mg at about 1 mg per week. Lately, I get some chest discomfort and chest pain but the doctors don't know what it is. I think it's methadone side effects. Has someone else ever experienced chest discomfort while being on Methadone? If so ? Should I worry or will it eventually go away?
Hi I've been on methadone for 12 years since the age of 21 I started on 150ml and now have reduced myself to 15ml and starting to feel emotional back pain runny nose struggling to sleep all night (broken sleep) and weird dreams but mostly my feelings are coming back. Ok it's not too bad at all but I'm so terrified as its been so many years I've been on this **** !!! Anyone got any advice they can give ?? I thought come down to 4/5 ml then try diazepam for a 14 day dettox ? Is this the best thing to do as I don't want subutex or any other thing like that. Thank you
Leanne
Hi I've been on methadone for 12 years and was on 150ml but now I've managed to come down to 15ml and I often get pain and discomfort at my upper stomach n rib cage sometimes I struggle to take a deep breath so yes I think it is methadone side effects as I've never had this before I started to detox. And see another doctor most doctors don't want to help they think your after more medication so seek a second opinion as it could be something called helicobactor it's a stomach infection or ulcer causes indigestion Etc but gets worse with onions garlic things like that !!! Just thought it could be that too...best of luck
i have used heroin for about 20 years off and on  in australia methadone is the program available for  minor cost to assist with your heroin addiction. they also use suboxone or similar which is buprenorphine.
for many years i fluctuated on methodone from low dose to med dose just enoughto make my heroin use as painless as possible....no money couldnt use therfore being on done was a good crutch and saved me from greater harm...it really is a matter of harm and crime minimalisation.   i was never brave enoughto comitt crime so iwould go through frequent withdrawals.  methadone was ideal...now after many years I havefinally just grown weary enough of the cycle ,lost enough and i guess suffered enough to really want to change.

i am proud to say i havent used heroin for over a year and i am finally down to one mg of methadone per day..  while my overall dose was larger i could reduce more i worked on percentage and would reduce 10 percent every  month sometimes if i felt strong every 2 weeks.. i can honestly say coming down from 60 mg s per day  to one mg per day has been by comparison to the unhappiness i have endured ,,,by comparison and realistically not too bad ...that reduction for me has maintained my sleep and  truthfully on the first night or two of  each reduction i was restless but it gets a little easier as u get lower til now... i am finding it harder to make that final leap to zero i will go to half a mg the point 25 then zero...why not what works is good
go as low on the done as is possible and then skip a day on the absolute lowest dose   even .25 mg per day  that is a very strong positive determined way to reduce ....u must have given up heroin completely to achieve this otherwise its pointless stay on done til you are ready
i was wondering if anyone could help me with helpin my brother get off methadone what is the best method and should he see a dr to do it,,,he told me he takes 2 pills a day n has done this for a yr now . what can he take to help him as well such as vitiamins n such
Hi there and welcome! This is an old thread that you are posting on. If you go to the top of the page and hit the orange 'post a question' link you can start your own post, tell your story, and ask questions you may have. That will help more people to see it which means more advice and support. I don't have any personal experience with Methadone, but there are a ton of folks on here that do. There is also a forum called 'living with an addict' on this site. You might want to check that out to get some support for yourself. Please take care and I wish you and your brother all the best.
My daughter has been on 10,mg Methadone for 10 years for severe back and leg pain but the doctor now is talking about taking her off it.  What now, hse is more afraid of the pain than the withdrawal?  Can a Dr. really do this cold turkey?
Viewing 401-469 comments: