Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Does heroin cause a low sex drive in men?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I just started dating someone really awesome, but he's hot then cold almost every other day. Was wondering if this behavior was because he uses heroin...he seems to have no sex drive and this is a brand new relationship???
Yes, any kind of opiate will interfere with sex drive, but that's the last thing you should be worried about as far as getting involved with a heroin addict. He will lie, steal and cheat. He will make your life miserable. He will take your money and your soul and will probably try to get you addicted too. If this is a new relationship, run like heII !!!
wow...

I agree with flmagi.  The heroin will be his first love........sara
The drugs absolutely ruin the sex drive. I no it ruined mine. The drugs actually destroy the pituatary gland which is what produces testosterone in men. I now have to take testosterone every day. Once the drugs are discontinued the gland will heal but it takes a long time. This also causes lack of energy and moodyness. Have him do blood work to have his "T" checked. If it is low they will give him testosterone. It takes about a month to start working but man when it starts working its great. However starting a relationship with an addict isnt the best thing in the world to do. Dont get to attached.
well its well known when you are on them it takes longer to reach a climax,for males and when you start going through WD's, you go very fast which is messed up. It all works off the brain any how....... and once the system gets back to normal, which could take 1-2 months you will be back to the old level. every guy is different, some never had the same mo jo as others to begin with..........
The honest answer to this is yes, & when a fella doe's have sex it seem's like they take foreva to come, Sorry if that sounds crud but its true.
Do u sed eny drugs yourself ?. Why have you chosen to get together with an addict. I myself am addict to heroin & so is my partner, we have ben together 16 years now & how 2 ace boys. But i wasn't a adddict b 4 i met him, This is in no way blamin him for my own addiction we all am our choices. I'm just wonderin what atracted you to him ???
You first concern should not be his sex drive or lack there of. that is only the very tiny tip of the iceberg. I have to give this a WOW also. Think long and hard about what youa re getting into. Good luck.
have to agree with IBKleen , you got a lot more then sex drive to worry about
Any opiod or, for the matter, excess alcohol will kill sex drive.  I don't mean one pill or drink but habitual.  To say nothing of the personality difficulties of people who use drugs (incl. cocaine or meth) or excess alcohol.  Folks are always looking for a magic substance to fix emotional problems.  Not that some men (or women) may not benefit from medically appropriate hormone therapy.  However hormones can also change your personality for the worse, even if they make an erection easier or increase sexual drive.  Face it: if he (she) was a jerk before the hormones  then he's still a jerk after, maybe worse.
I believe you shoul seek therapy for Co-dependency (this means you will support everything he destroys along the way)... If you decide to continue the relationship / or you start using drugs too, you may never undersatand.

It is all about himself, this is how we know about even celebrities and successful people destroying even their own children's life  (have you heard about Bobby Christina? (Whitney Houston's child).

Please look for help... All his charm is not worthed but if you are (willing to punish yourself with his carelesness about everythin other than his own purpose)and willing to continue,... YOU WILL NEED HELP.

My husband does drugs and spends most of  the money he makes on it...  He is forced to do rehab class because of a DUI  but unless he decides to stop drugs,... nothing can help him. (addicts in that state of mind make everything about themselves...).

My husband can go on for a month without even trying to touch me... He 2 years ago started having an affair with his boss (67 Y/O lady).  She may also be on drugs because all she cared to have from him was overtime work for free and of course the wild sex.   Don't get me wrong, I am 40 y/o and love sex, specially when I am childless and would love to conceive.

Sadly, I cold not make that plan with my husband and all the dreams I had went to the trash.  I became severly depressed and had to do psych meds for almost a year.

I took him back and thought I could still help him, problem is he thinks there is nothing wrong with him.  All 4 years of my time lost over a sad learning experience("women want to manipulate him")  My last hope and his last chance with me went to the toliet.  (he still calls her when he's drunk).

Now I've learned that I need to save me...  We are separated again and though I feel sorry for him, this time is about me... I'm a survivor.

Do yourself a favor... I you want a guy with lots of stamina why won't you date a football player or someone quite active ?

I wish I had't lost so much time... I'm already premenopausal and have little hope of conceiving a child.  But I know that I deserve someone better that a junkie who just needs a mom or anyone who will cater to his selfishness.

Wish you luck and hope that when you read this, you may already giving your number to new people.

M-
Heroin addicts lives revolve around getting their next hit or fix. Usually, rising tolerance does not give them the highes but keeps them functional. Since all energies get consumed for the next dose, any other sensory objective gets put on the back burner. Vicious cycle ensues. Their whole life revolves around getting the next heroin and nod off into into deep sleep only to wake up for the next fix without which they would suffer a great deal from wthrawal. Heroin addicts form a tight knit group that recruits new would-be addicts. In USA, it takes a capital event to result in a change and the statistics on a change for the better are dismally low. Various infections related to use of heroin are so dismal as to attack immune system and cause unflattering marks on the skin.
This post is older than me. Lol.  Why are you answering a question from three years ago?  Just wondering??  There are people here now that need help.
I would just like to add that my husband is a current heroin addict, and whoever said that heroin addicts lie to you, steal from you, cheat on you, and make your life miserable is a lie. not all addicts are like that. yes he gets frustrating, and he lies sometimes, he has never stole from me, he has never cheated on me and my life is far from miserable. and he damn sure has never tried to get me addicted to it. he pays the rent, he buys the food, and he has a job. I'm tired of people saying what they hear, if you've never experienced don't judge it...
Hi....this is an old thread so its likely nobody who originally responded to it will read what you wrote. I thought your comment was interesting and I just wanted to point out that heroin addicts lie when they are trying to hide there addiction. It sounds like you are ok with your husband using so there would be no point for him to lie to you about it. In terms of him being able to function while using....many can do that. I know many heroin addicts who have used for many years and support there families with no problems....alcoholics too.

One friend in particular comes to mind....used for 20+ years...wife ok with, worked etc....well, one day when I went to pick up his heroin...he got arrested for possession.....lost his job.....things went downhill from there.

I was in a relationship with a long time user and the sex thing was the whole issue with us and him even being close to me he had no emotions at.all it spliit up a good thing we used to have.
my husband in prison and he started using cause hes so depressed but he said he stopped but i dont believe him he cant even get it up but he trys he tell me to bring something will make keep up i forget name that medication but your saying it takes long time to get it bak wat should i do besides leave him
is it suboxone or methadone? i suspect its one or the other cuz they are the most widely used ( suboxone can come in different names such as subutex/buprenorphine and suboxone) could be some more but those are the ones i know of

in my country users tell you to never ever take methadone cuz when u start taking it its like having 2 addictions instead of 1. This is mainly because of the fact that if u take heroin while on methadone u will feel double the high cuz the active chemicals get along really well.

suboxone/subutex/buprenorphine on the other hand is a semi-syntetic opiate which binds strongly to the opiod receptors in ur brain(the things responsable for making u high). now what sets suboxone apart from any other opiate medicine is that its chemical bond with the opiod receptors is so strong that if u take heroin after ingesting suboxone you will either feel nothing or become sick( get into withdrawal). if u get withdrawal from taking heroin with buprenorphine it will not let u out so easy so for anyone who is experiencing this best u can do is take a shower and try to sleep it out.

for anyone who uses methadone it will be super hard to switch it to suboxone/bupe. but if u can manage this u may have a shot of getting your life back as bupe is a life saver because if you follow a daily routine of taking it just as you wake up you know that for the next 24 hours you cannot take any type of opiate because you will either feel nothing or go into withdrawal.

i have been taking H on and off for the past 5-6 years. been taking it IV(intra-venous) for the past 4 and 1/2 years roughly. i was always told to never go for methadone and i personally never tried it. i think that is the main reason why i never actually done all the bad things that most junkies do ( such as stealing/ begging) when i feel that its becoming too much to handle i just stay home and buy those pills and thats the end of it.

if anyone wants advice on how to tackle this problem personally/ a loved one. please pm me
I'm currently in a relationship with a heroin addict... and yes, until you've been with one, you won't know how it actually is.
Think about it this way... Does anyone actually WANT to be addicted to heroin? The man that I'm currently with has been nothing but good to me and loves me more than anything. And is actually in the process of quitting. He's lied to me a few times about using but only because he thought I was better off not knowing and he was ashamed... and wanted to quit before I ever found out. Now that I know when he's using, there aren't anymore lies. And that was always the biggest problem in our relationship. He doesn't want to be dependent on this anymore, and wants to get clean. And he's now been clean for a week. He got rid of his phone and is having me manage his money now and currently going to NA meetings.
I'm proud to say I've never seen him so motivated in my entire life. He's starting college next week and working a lot and his relationships with his family have improved a ton...
I'm not going to lie.. i was never okay with the drug abuse, but i saw something in him that wasn't necessarily you're stereotypical "drug addict".
He was caring and compassionate and drugs weren't the MOST important thing to him in life. He's quit for me a couple times before but only because I begged him and said we couldn't be together if he kept this up.
But now this is the first time I've seen him quit on his own, without me.Yes, i'm skeptical but I know that it's going to be especially hard for him to even get it and it'll be even harder once we move.
But anyway, his sex drive comes and goes. There will be a week where all he wants is sex but then he'll go a week without doing it. And sometimes it'll be 1-3 times a week or other times it'll be 20 times a week. It really depends.
And when he gets clean he hates doing it because he feels like he'll only last a minute even though I don't care, i just want to be with him.
But anyway... I know being with a drug addict may seem stupid but we've been friends since we were kids and now that we've been in a relationship for two years, yes i'm not denying it's been hard but honestly I believe that the good times make up for it. Not all heroin addicts are the same. There are similarities, yes, but everyone is different.
I love him. And he loves me. And I know that down the road, things will be even greater once he's clean and gets his life back on track.