Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Eating everything in sight...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Eating everything in sight...

Hey everyone...just getting home from work and wanted to stop by.  I'm on 22 days and getting better.  Still emotional and the depression comes and goes but I know its the w/d so that helps keep things in perspective; but it is quite annoying.  Still having pain but so far the motrin 800 works.  The thing is; I cant stop eating.  Which is not good b/c with my conditions, especially the high bp I cant afford to gain weight.  Really struggling with this eating thing now.  Anybody else having this problem?  I know what I gotta do...stop eating and work out; but right now I dont want to..just want to eat.  My therapist says I'm substituting eating for the pills.  She's right...this is so annoying.  I guess I'm annoyed tonite since I used that word 3 times already.
Actually I found myself doing the same thing.   I can't afford to gain a ton of weight my frame structure is just too small and I know it will do nothing to add to my arthritic pain, I see what my mother goes through w/her legs...and she is tiny as well but weighs 190 lbs... refuses to lose any weight and frankly at 85 she should eat whatever the hell she wants.  But she had developed high blood pressure.. so I am diligent with her salt intake.

Eating could very well be a new "habit" to take the place of not doing drugs.   Honestly, try the protein, it keeps the sweet tooth demons at bay.  Sometimes!  Not all the time.  I'm just doing everything I can to feel "normal"...the glimpses of normal come and go... I actually feel differences throughout the day.   First two weeks coming off drugs I lost sight of my vitamins.. and drinking protein ...or I should say the thought of it just made me gag... but I never let go of the water, dehydration landed a friend of mine in the ER...water is so essential to recovery...no matter what I've read.

I posted a nutrition intake above.   I've been reading and researching a lot... talked to a nutriionist about my personal dilemma last week... and have really been trying.

Maybe it will help you too

Gip

LOL eating. OMG!!! my stomach feels like the grand canyon!!

I havent been able to fill it with food, but yesterday I got thirsty, and couldnt stop drinking, and soon was sloshing around so uncomfortable LOL.

I lost over 50 lbs when on the meds, and really want to keep it off also. But been consuming food like no tomorrow! Im the bottomless pit!!!

Allen
I know what u mean about glimpses of normal...sometimes I'm fine sometimes I'm not.  I am really going to dedicate myself to eating better.  I will definetly try getting more protein in; i'm sure it will make me feel more full b/c that seems to be my problem lately.  I also lost alot of weight during the w/d but I'm slowly putting it back so I need to get a handle on this.  Thanks for the info.
I am diabetic, I had a problem with my leg and could'nt work for a week. My blood sugar was way high. When I go too work it keeps it down, instead of sitting around the house, or even walking around the house. I stand or walk fast at the job. Customer service, I go at a really fast pace. I also noticed that when I do a project around the house, painting or whatever, I get so into that I don't get hungry. Try to get busy, see if that helps.
  I was really surprised by how much sugar was burned off by keeping busy. I use a meter to test, so the proof is in the pudding.
Also, If you have to snack, try to eat things that are low fat. pretzels,veggie sticks, fruit,protien shake,yogurt,rice cereal cheerios w/ low fat milk.
I noticed that my boyfreinds son is thin, he eats cereal all day.
  Hope these few ideas help. Don't forget the protien at meals. Try eating more chicken and fish. I don't love fish. but it is healthy.  
Also, I don't like veggies. I buy fresh string beans, carrots, etc, I steam them. In a separate pan I put lowfat milk then add either dill or an italian spice,cook for a few min. til the herbs flavor the milk, then i scoop a little aside into a cup mix it with flour salt pepper stir that into a paste. Add the paste to your milk mixture, stir til thickened. Drain veggies stir this all together. Makes the veggies pretty good. Low low fat.