Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Effects of Marijauna on the liver

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Effects of Marijauna on the liver

I was interested in the medical effects of regular marijauna use on the liver ?  Are the effects more severe when a person has hepatitis C ?
As far as the effects of marijuana on the liver it may indeed be safer than most other drugs. I also support the use of medical marijuana since we should all be free to choose alternatives when medical and mainstream remedies either do not work or are more dangerous than the disease itself. I do not agree that marijuana is as safe as you think. For many people it is the source of psycholigical addiction, paranoia and a plethora of mental health problems. I'd rather have my teenager eating big macs than smoking pot. Smoking any substance is damaging to the bronchii and lungs. Any substance that alters mood or inhibitions is dangerous to recovered addicts and others for all the obvious reasons. Best wishes, Brighty
This forum can be posted to at ANY time.... however it only takes a limited number of questions per day. There is no limit to comments and replies.
im not shur, but i know marijuana is harmless [other than carcinagines which can be reduced with a water pipe] god gave us this great HERB, THIS SHOULD not BE CONSEDERED A DRUG, AND IS COMPLETLY REDICULIOUS TO BE ILLEGAL!!!!!
I would love to know the answer to that question myself.  I have had HCV for 21 years.  I did combo Rx and have been sin a sustained response for the past 10 months.  I smoked marijuana during Rx to ease the efffects of the nausea and anxiety/insomnia.  It really helped.  Now that I am off Rx I see no need for it so I no longer smoke it.  I know that the liver filters out all toxins in the body and Pot is surely a toxin.  Any input anyone?  Mojo
Phil... please remove my reply to Kacey. Her comment on marijuana was removed but my reply remains. I understand the concerns about him/her setting up a bogus board and using our questions here on that board. But I also think it does not look good for us to have replies here to missing questions. I'm sure this is an oversight. Thanks.
I thank all of you for your input. Does anyone know when you could expect a reply  that is posted by the doctor ?
The only way to get a reply from a doctor here is to post a question in the "Post a Question" box when you enter the forum. You may get an answer sooner or later. The doctors who contribute to this forum do not enter into the discussions and never enter comments or answer questions by posting replies in the "post a reply" box. This is my observation so far. Brighty
Brighty,
You are absolutely correct. Comments are ignored nor are they archived.

Phil

I've been smoking pot for 10 years intensively and recently I did my liver tests, which were OK, so why should one worry ?
I am hcv infected. and if smokeing pot gave it to me I would be dead already.and I belive myself that smokeing pot would be better for problems hcv people have with nerves,eatting disorders and the everyday stress of life.I know its better for hcv people than a cold beer,an i hate that!

i smoke marijauna reliousily, and was forced to

quit my "religion" for the sake of a good JOB..

i'm wondering if eating marijauna can be detected

as if i were smoking marijauna????  my job gives

random ua's constantly and i need a alternitive

to getting my religious intake !!!!   any ones input

would greatly be appreciated.....
i dont know of any clinical effects that cannabis may have on liver function, but i do know that,having been horribily stricken by hep b and the accompanying neausea that disallowed me to take in even a tablespoon of water without violently vomiting, weed saved my life!! it putmy neausea in abayance long enough for me to keep down a milkshake a day,i lost 55 lbs in 6 weeks,as it was and would have surely perished without the relief brought to me by smoking cannabis.i use it recreationally and medicinally to this day and it provides me with an alternative relief from a number of different ailments that  traditionally prescribed pharmaceutical treaments proved to be ineffective for or dibilitating in some fashion.

see genesis 1:29-31
Im looking for a dotcor who will give me Marijauna for my hep c
For me the benefit of using the herb far out weighs the short comings it has. I eat it aswell as smoke it. It helps most of my hcv symptoms, giving me an appetite when I really could care less,helps alot when feeling sick and gets me up and doing something because it changes my focus. Take care, Steven
**** EVERYBODY THAT DISLIKE REEFA
Yes indeed I need some  weed!!!!!!!!
Yes indeed I need some  weed!!!!!!!!
I have cirrhosis of the liver and lost 85 lbs in a short time.  My doctor prescribed for me Marinol(synthetic marijuana) which was great.  I gained 35 lbs back but my doctor took me off them.  Wanting to gain more weight for my 6'2' frame, I began smoking pot that helped me gain another 25 lbs.  My question is does anyone know the effects of smoking pot in regards to my liver.  It is badly damaged but I would hate to stop my use of marijuana for weight gain.      
I have Crohns disease, and for about a year am having some abnormal liver tests. The Dr. is changing my medications a bunch, and I have abstained from alcohol, but my liver counts have not decreased significantly. I am wondering if my daily Marijuana smoking could be causing the elevated liver functions. Anyone have any input for me?