Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Getting off codeine :(

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Getting off codeine :(

Hi, I have been addicted to Kapake 30mg codeine, 500mg paracetamol for many years. I have started attending an addiction clinic for the last couple of months. the CPN I have been seeing wants me to divide the dose four times a day. I have been taking up to 26 tablets daily and I am terrified of dividing what I have been taking due to the fear of withdrawals ( I would take upto 12-14 Kapake at a time). I take sleeping tablets and suffer from bad insomnia and severe diarrhoea and fear this getting worse if I try to reduce the codeine. I feel so lost and cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel
I commend you for reaching out because you do need help. Where you are at will determine what types of treatment are available and remember that none of us can do this alone. I'm in the US and Suboxone is the option I've chosen  along with therapy. I've been addicted to several different things over the years but never was I able to simply lower my doses and stop successfully without help.
Do not get on suboxone.  It is far more difficult to give up than codeine...  I find it hard to understand how splitting up your doses over the day will bring on withdrawals.  It generally takes until day two completely removed that they kick in in full force.

Yes your insomnia and diarrhoea will get worse while you're wd'n, but those are withdrawal symptoms anyway.  Scared is normal.  I have nasty diarrhoea/poor digestion/bloating aswell so I know how you feel.  It's just something you gotta have faith will get better in the long run.  Because it surely won't get better while you're on the painkillers.
Hi There,

I too was addicted to codeine for over 10 yrs and at nearly 50 it wasn't an easy habit to break...then again, anything worth having genereally doesn't come easy does it?

I am 129 days clean and it's the best thing i've ever done for myself. Yes it's tough, yes the stomach issues will worsen for a while...try to stay hydrated and use immodium if you can when needed....Try valerian or other herbal remedies for insomnia ...use every trick/tip you can pick up on this forum to beat this thing.

You've already taken an important step by reaching out for help.....now lean on us...go on....we can take it!

Wishing you strength and peace on your new journey to a bright, shiny sober you.

x
Thankyou for replying to me - it really does mean alot. This Sunday is going to be the day i start 'cold turkey' . I wish you love and lots of luck.xx.