Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
HELP WITH PAIN RELIEF!!!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

HELP WITH PAIN RELIEF!!!

I'm experiencing indescribable pain in my right thumb!!  I saw my GP yesterday and she seems to think it's due to rheumatoid arthritis.  I've had blood work done to confirm the diagnosis.  In the meantime, however, the pain is just unbearable!!  I am an addict and have been on Suboxone for the past seven months.  Any suggestions as to how I can get some relief from the pain would really be appreciated!  I left a message for my GP to ask her advice.

Has anyone gone through this or something similar???  I'm desperate!!
Have you tried ice? For a few minutes it seems to get worse, and then it starts to go numb.
My sister in law has rheumatoid arthritis. She goes to a specialist. At first she was on pain meds but now she is getting some sort of IV therapy once a month that has really helped her get her life back together. No more pain meds. Ask your GP about it when you get back with her.
There are things that can help it.  Since you take suboxone, you don't want to mix it with anything without talking to your sub doc.  Honestly, the sub should help the pain.  Try taking 600 mg of ibuprofen if you don't have stomach issues.  I use Goody's powder when I need something for pain, and it helps some.  Ice and heat will help too, or at least it SHOULD help some! :)

Good luck!  I hope it's better soon!
Those rub in creams do help. Also, SalonPas patches.
Thanks for all the support and advice!!  I've tried heat, ice, Motrin, rubs, creams, etc!  To no avail!  I've experienced lots of pain since coming off all my previous meds.  I attributed the pain early on to my body adjusting to being without the opiates.  But seven months into "recovery" and my pain is still there!  And now we're topping it off with this damn thumb pain...UGH!!!  How does everyone deal with the non-stop pain???  It's truly making me even crazier than the opiate addiction!!!  What can I do to cope???
Are you sure it isn't carpal tunnel pain? I've been having issues with it lately and it is enough to drive you crazy. What are the symptoms besides pain in your thumb?
It could be carpal tunnel, for sure!  One of my docs (I have several) suggested I check into surgery to repair the problem.  I'm so freaked out about the thought of surgery I just don't know what to do!!  I'm 7 months clean (except for Suboxone) and know I'd never make it thru after surgery recovery without opiates!!  UGH!!!  I'm overwhelmed!
I really think you would be ok if you did have the surgery. And also, the longer you put it off, the more damage is done to the nerve, irreversible damage, so that's not good. I had the surgery on both hands 11 years ago and it worked wonders for me....starting a new job lately has brought the symptoms back though. Grrr! Get it checked out! I have faith in you :)