Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Has Anyone Had Experience with Neurontin for Opiate Withdrawal?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I've read Neurontin works to relieve some opiate withdrawal symptoms. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so how many milligrams a day did/do you take and how long does it take for the Neurontin to start working? I'm currently taking about 70mg of hydrocodone/day and I want to stop. I hate being on opiate painkillers for so long. I have a prescription for 100mg of gabapentin to take 3x a day. Does anyone know how much to take for cold turkey opiate withdrawal? And should I let the gabapentin build up in my body before I stop taking the hydro? From what I've read gabapentin works like a neurotransmitter reuptake accelerator/inhibitor and needs to build up in the system for a few days before it works to its full potential.
Just sent you an email regarding my experience detoxing with gaba. Wishing you the best.
I used neurontin for opiate withdrawals but it was by accident. I was prescribed vicodin and then oxycodone for back problems and sciatica. When I finally told my doctor that I was done with the pills he prescribed neurontin for nerve pain. I stopped the opiates and started the neurontin. It did take the edge off quite a bit. About the only symptoms I experienced was anxiety and the chills. I had a little lethargy but nothing compared to full blown withdrawals. I noticed that it seemed to help with the insomnia and the overall edginess associated with withdrawals.
I tried to only take it at night before bed but on occasion did take it during the day. You should stick to how your doctor told you to take it.
I have read that it can be addicting also and there are withdrawals from it. I didn't have a problem with it but I didn't stay on it for too long but still tapered off of it. I was prescribed 400mgs 3 times a day but normally didn't take that much because I was worried about becoming addicted to it.
Hope this helps!

Brian
I have been on neurontin as long as the hydro's I was on and I still went through the WD's.

I am still on the neurontin for nerve pain............but 32 days clean today from Hydrocodone. I am on 600 MG's of neurontin 4 times a day, but I don't take it that much I usually take one in the am then one in the evening before I go to bed.

Cissy
600 mg 4X/day? 2400mg's? From what I read and heard from my doctor, when one starts taking that they start at a lower dose and then step it up to around 1800mg/day max..I also read that there may be wd issues with it if a person has been on a high dose for a period of time..Just sharing my thoughts on that as I was prescribed that back in July. It didn't agree with me though. I spun out bad by the end of the first week. Terrible dizzy spell and equilibrium problems..Then was switched to Lyrica which seems to be more agreeable for me...One concern some have raised about the Lyrica which I ran across over in the Pain Management Forum is that for a few of those folks, the Lyrica had a bad habit of making them gain weight..Thats not a problem for me though. I have room for a few more lbs..

I do believe the Gabapentin, or Neurontin does help with wd's. Not sure if it overides the wd's with the side effects it produces which can be mentally acknowledged, but comparing a c/t I did back in April vs a week taper at the end of July, the wd's while taking the neurontin were not as bad as the first time..Clonidine also helped which was something else my doctor gave me..Suppose to help restabilize a person's sleep pattern's..:)
From reading the pharmacology and research articles of Neurontin I was wondering how it has the potential to be addictive. From what I understand it works on different neurotransmitters in the brain such as GABA and pregambolin, almost like anit-depressants do. It is also an amino acid, which not to my knowledge at least, is an addictive substance. Although many drugs that pharmacologically alter or work on neurotransmitters will produce a withdrawal syndrome if the drug is immediately ceased, they are not addictive. Withdrawal syndrome is different from classic withdrawal in that the individual taking the drug does not have a psychological dependence on the drug and will not crave it if the drug is immediately stopped. If the given drug is tapered down correctly it should not produce any withdrawal syndrome and will not have lasting effects or produce any psychological cravings. So I'm wondering if people in general are confusing the withdrawal syndrome of improperly stopping gabapentin with classic withdrawal, or if it actually is addicting to them psychologically as well.

I personally have not felt any effects from gabapentin that could potentially cause me to abuse the drug, but I am on the lowest dose available. So my question is have you experienced any effects from gabapentin that could potentially cause you to become addicted to it?
Thats a real low dose your on there Colleen. I was started at 300mg 2X/day or 600mg daily. Sorry on the above as I got Cissy confused with being you on the 2400mg daily. People in the pain Mgt community seem to think my dose wasn't anuwhere near the level to have any substantial benefit.. Of course I tend to disagree as I was feeling side affects I didn't like. But thats understandable. It seems for people going on that type of drug, if neurotin is disagreeable with them ,then Lyrica seems to do better. If lyrica seems to cause problems, then the neurontin seems to do better.

I really don't see how there would be any wd issues with it. At least from my perspective. If anything, I wanted to get away from it which was what I did. With no second thoughts or desires to continue using it.
Dav I didn't start out at 2400mg's per day.............the doc's increased it over time.

Cissy
I was sure that was the case Cissy. If someone took that much in a first dose, they would have a very bad headache..:). I was just commenting that the norm I had seen was to gradually get up to 1800mg as a max reccommended dose..I had seen some warning about possible increased side effects if a person was on a higher dose but at the same time they said it wasn't uncommon for some to exceed the 1800mg threshold :)
i am on 600mg 3x a day the max dose as my dr said 1800mg. I have a bad back(broken in an accident 6 yrs ago) and seizures so this drug is used for two purposes for me I believe thats why I am on the max dose or it could be because i only weigh 100lbs. I am trying to go off my pain meds and really hope that the nuerontin will help with any withdrawls I may have. if anyone has any advice suggestions or questions please let me know! thx-
     I don't know what these other ppl are talking about as far as Gaba helping. i was in a hospital psyche ward for 2 weeks and they made me crash and cold withdrawl (withdrawal) (almost ZERO meds to help ease the suffering). I have severe chronic pain which they gave me Gabapentin for (they also claimed it would help ease the suffering of withdrawl (withdrawal)). The Gabapentin did NOTHING! Not for the pain, not for the withdrawl (withdrawal). They titrated my dose to the maximum you can take a day. Still did absolutely NOTHING. I may as well have been taking sugar cubes. LOL, the sugar probably would have had more of an effect then the gabapentin. The inventor of gabapentin even confessed that he lied about his studies and Gaba is not good for use in pain control. Read up on it. Anyway that crash and burn detox in a psyche ward filled with violent loud insane people who did not sleep was THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD. It was literally hell on earth. I don't know if they were trying to teach me a lesson or what, butI hate that place and the doctor there for doing what they did to me. So, in conclusion, Gabapentin is USELESS.
Ouch! That definitely was not a good time in your life....
"Ouch!" is right! It is posted in my brain as one of the most, if not THEE most horrid experience in my life.
hey gabapentin makes me feel like my normal self before all the pain meds i can even function like a normal person
I agree.... Neurontin is not addictive.  You cannot just start high doses or stop without weaning yourself off because it could cause issues.  Neurontin is an anti-seizure medication.  I stopped taking neurontin over a two week period lowering my dose every third day with no adverse effects or withdrawal symptoms.
From what I understand, it depends on the type of pain you have and what is causing it.  I was put on neurontin before I had back surgery and it did help the pain from a pinched nerve.  From what I understand, not a proper medication for bone or muscle pain.

It helped me,
Jen
Almost forgot... After surgery, lots of percocet.  Finally got sick of taking those ... Put them down the disposal 9 days ago.  And omg, six hours later I was thinking, "what the hell was I thinking?".  I was taking 120 milligrams per day... 20 every 4 hours and counting down the last hour between doses.  For three days I thought I would die or atleast wished I would.  Now on day nine, just exhausted and still nauseous.  I hear this can last a good six weeks.  Drinking tons of water, taking lots of baths, and upped vitamin and mineral intake.  Just ordered tart cherry juice concentrate... Supposedly good for pain and sleep.  All I know for sure, I am never doing this again.  Wish me strength.

Jen
Gabapentin  isn't without it's problems. it can be dangerous in fact, especially in higher doses.

I don't see how it could possibly help with wd symptoms, but if it works on you in some sort of psychological way then good for you.
But If you look around some older threads you can see where it has had disastrous effects on some people as well.

It was originally developed for the treatment of epilepsy, and  has more recently been prescribed to relieve neuropathic pain. There are, however, concerns regarding the quality of the trials conducted.
Gabapentin provides some pain relief in about a third of people who take it for fibromyalgia or chronic neuropathic pain studies show.

It is also claimed to be effective in reducing narcotic usage post operatively, but this is a situation where the narcotic was used for a relatively short time, not long term where a strong physical dependance has occured.  It does not appear to be of benefit in treating complex regional pain studies have shown.

Numerous trials show that it is not effective as a mood-stabilizing treatment for bipolar disorder and so has no therapeutic advantage in having fewer side-effects over better established bipolar drugs such as lithium and valproic acid. Gabapentin has limited usefulness in the treatment of anxiety disorders such as social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder, in treatment-resistant depression, and for insomnia. Gabapentin can also cause weight gain.

Gabapentin's most common side effects in adult patients include dizziness, drowsiness, and peripheral edema (swelling of extremities)
Gabapentin should be used carefully in patients with renal impairment due to possible accumulation and toxicity.

Gabapentin has been associated with an increased risk of suicidal acts or violent deaths.  In 2009, the FDA issued a warning of an increased risk of depression and suicidal thoughts and behaviors in patients taking gabapentin, along with other anticonvulsant drugs modifying the packaging insert to reflect this.  In July 2009, the manufacturer of gabapentin (Pfizer) went to trial regarding the association between gabapentin and the increased risk of suicide.

Gabapentin should not be discontinued abruptly after long term use. Abrupt or over rapid withdrawal may provoke a withdrawal syndrome reminiscent to alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal. Gradual reduction over a period of weeks or months helps minimize or prevents the withdrawal syndrome.

Side effects upon discontinuation of gabapentin that have been reported in medical literature include insomnia, restlessness, agitation, anxiety, disorientation, confusion, light sensitivity, diaphoresis, headaches, palpitations, hypertension, chest pain, and flu-like symptoms. (Sounds just as bad as opiate withdrawals to me)

Like all other drugs, Gabapentin isn't one to be messed around with carelessly either. High doses such as 1800 or 2400mg a day are dangerous, and are doses that most often cause serious mood changes such as anger, rage,  and suicidal tendencies.

I would be very careful using this drug. Make sure someone is watching you for these changes.

This info is really helpful thanks!! I had been addicted to pain meds for about two years then switched to suboxone(not legally) for a year and a half. I thought I was doing good for myself because I wasn't taking oxy anymore but I was just as addicted on suboxone. Anyway I've been off it for four months but have taken a few pain pills here and there when the withdrawals got too bad. I've heard countless times that opiate withdrawal is more painful but suboxone withdrawal lasts a whole lot longer. My psychiatrist prescribed me to neurontin for cravings/withdrawals. My question is do you have to take it for a certain amount of days for it to work? She told me that I could just take 100 mg 3x a day when I'm craving but every time I take it it hasn't helped at all. No side effects or anything. Should I increase the dose?
I have been addicted to pain meds for many years, and I'm sick of the feeling I don't get the good feeling anymore but if I don't take them I'm tried, and I camt function. I have two young kids ages five and two I can't just stop taking them and go threw the wds as I wish I could, I also work part time but I'm only part time and on my weekends off I have six days off in a row this is when I plan on stopping the meds I have cut back way back but I can't stop them because I can't stand the wds for a week I plan on using the neurontin for two weeks and then just stopping that too I'm only 30 years old and hate to see what my liver functions at its sad I did this all to myself I don't spend money on the drugs so it makes it even easier my husband has a bad back and gets whatever kind he needs however he hardly ever takes them, I have been wanting to tell him for years that I have had a problem but I'm scared how he will look at me as we have an awesome relationship and never lie or hide anything from each other and I'm scared he will loss his trust for me as he should. Can anyone give me any tips please I need to do this for myself and my family I want to be able to live a good long life for my kids and I know that the rate I'm going is not going to happen I have kept this hidden for way too long and I want to be clean and free from this nightmare
This is in no way a garentee, but how Gabapentin did help my opiate withdrawl (withdrawal). I have been dependent on opiates  four years and been taking up to 120 mg a day for siatica and lower back problems. I do need the meds but moved to a diffrent state and un able get them with out getting injections again. I got Gabapentin from my dr and in the morning i took 20mg opiates and a Gabapentin 6 hrs apart 3 times a day for 4 days and no withdrawls. Pain in my back hurt but helped the nerve pain with just Gabapentin. then was able to take 10mg opiates 2x and Gabapentin 3 x daily for 3 days.  i currently take Gabapentin 3x a day . Ive been cold turkey for a few days at a time and know what wd feel like and Gabapentin helped me and didnt have to go cold turkey i hope this helps someone. The only way this is goimg to truley work is if you want to get off them.
I was  taking percocet and oxycontin in quite high doses for 9 years, lost count of how many times I had suffered WD , probably every month when I ran out... Finally I got absolutely sick and worn out by this life style that I asked my doctor about Babapentin... He started me on 300mg 4x a day ie. 2 300mg caps during the day and 2 300mg caps at bedtime. I weened my opiates down and was off them in a week, hardly any noticeable WD at all... Its been a month now and Ive been erating like a horse so Im gonna start weening off the Gabapentin as it is an antiseisure drug... Im as happy as I have ever been in my life right now, its done wonders for me... ROCK ON.....
I had been taking percocet for about a year and decided it was time to get off of them.  I kind of tapered down but only because I was like "oh crap I'm almost out".  So I went from taking 8 5mg a day to like 4 a day for two days then 2 a day for a couple days then 1 a day for a couple days (because I turned my house upside down looking for strays).  The next day I felt like I was ready to die.  I was too weak and sick to even figure out how to pull off my sudicide. Every joint, every bone, every part of me hurt.  I felt worse the next day so I had the gabopenten laying around.  I took a couple gabopenten and the next day I felt pretty good.  By that second evening the withdrawls were almost gone.  Four days later I felt so wonderful.  I didn't take any gabopentin or any drugs starting that day.  I still have a lot of back pain but the whole opiod withdraw thing is not worth it.  
Anyways I had read about oxycodone withdrawls lasting atleat a week to two weeks and being like "the worst flu youve ever had."   Not at all.  The gabopentin must have helped a lot.  I had about a day and a half of feeling like crap but that was it.  
Also I forced myself to drink like a gallon and a half of water and a little lemon juice per day for the first 3 days to wash out the residuals.  So I'm sure that helped too.  
Im currently using nourontin to get off heroin. I was slamming for about a week an started buying nourontin off the street because i realized if you take about 10 of the 300mg nourontin you will have no opiate withdrrawls whatsoever. HOWEVER, this dosage also does effect your nerves meanong it impairs all aspects of your perception causing a feeling of almosy being drunk.. But over a 5 day time span if you titrate (slowly reduce dosage) you can come off of both with no dependencies towards either one. If you have questions find me on facebook, my name is Lanea Waldeck. I am NOT a doctor. This was my personal experience. I hope it helps. :)
Addiction is terrible and withdrawels are worse..Me and my boyfriend are both on the weve been together for 6 years and this is the first thing I have kept from his as well.I take at least triple what he takes and spend all my money on them, I have to stop.Last night I ran out of pills and was up all night with cold sweats and restless leg I felt like screaming.I took 100mg of lyrica which I never take anymore and it just made me really dizzy.I didn't like Lyrica when I tried it a year ago but was at my wits end last so I dug it out of the medicine cabinet.I have script for Nuerontin I never picked up so I am hopin they will let me pick it up today.The best thing for oxycodone and hydrocodone withdrawal is if you can get you hands on some methadone it takes away all the wd symptoms but you have to be very carefull with that so you don't get addicted to that as well cuz that withdrawal is even worse.Good luck and wish me luck. You should talk to your hubby because I don't think you will be able to quit with the pills in the house.Maybe he can quit his scripts and just get what he needs and just tell him to lie about the others. Everytime I start to quit and think I am doin good I get a call from a friend with hella pills and the temptation is too great. I think I may go visit my parents for a few weeks and bring a weeks worth of methadone and do it that way.If I am 6 hrs from drugs than I won't be able to slip up.
I wouldn't have been able to get off opiates if it wasn't for nuerontin. I'm 7 days clean I'm through the worse part only dealing with mind over power issues. The nuerontins has made it much more simple this time. I have been able to sleep at night and I never got the jerks or sweating and chills. So yes nuerontin helps tremodously with opiate withdrawls
Agree with this.. Lethargy and Chills are still there, along with sweating a lot, but otherwise it really does help take the edge off...   If used along with Catapres to calm your heart rate/blood pressure, and Loperamide for upset stomach, it will see you through the worst of Withdrawals... Helped me HUGELY with restlessness that kept me from sleeping 3 nights in a row... Expect insomnia for quite a while, which Catapres is your long term friend in that respect, and slowly bring down the dosage of that over weeks, or even months (very limited, if any, side effects compared to other drugs you can get to help you sleep, so okay to take long term)...
My suggestion is to take 100mg 3 times per day as suggested, but in honesty with the hell kicks in, you may need to bump your dose each time to 300mg, 500mg, etc  The first day or 2 taking gaba has the most side effects, which isn't so bad as they counteract WD nicely, but do ease into taking them to know how your body reacts... But don't fear taking high doses if needed to get you through the worst of your pain... And don't stop taking them suddenly or dropping back down doses to drastically.. Slowly ease of them, even if you feel your Withdrawals from the Opiates is gone...
Thanks for all of the comments. I am hooked on 30mg Oxycodone and I can't take it anymore. I got a script for neurontin and I am hoping it will help me get out of this hell. It ***** more than anything I have ever encountered.

Thank you all for making me realize I am not alone!

Frank
I am currently on about 120mg of Oxy/Hydro a day for two days but have been on as much as 250mg a day over the past week until two dys ago.  I want off these meds badly and have a taper schedule I'm following over the next 7-10 days.  I have read that neurontin will help with withdrawals.   I can go without any opiate for 12-13 hours without feeling any withdrawal symptoms.  Very surprising to me.  I started taking Neurontin 200mg during the day and 300mg at night yesterday.  I'm not sure if this is why I haven't felt w/d yet.  Does anyone know what the dose of neurontin should be and or how long should I take?   I have about 15 days worth of neurontin using the doses I mentioned.  Thank you all for your help and good luck!  
Hi I was just responding to the gabapentin. I used heroin and opiates for many years and after I derided by doctor put me on gabapentine. He gradually upped my dose. Now I take 1200mg 3X a day. You can take up to 4000mg. However I do take more. I take one big dose of the 600's in the morning and then pop 2 or 3 every few hours. Need less to say, I think it is the wonder drug for getting off opiates. Good luck :)
I was on 70- 100mg of oxy a day.  30mg 2x/day of cotin and 10mg of percs/day for breakthrough pain. I found that GABA helped me with my wd symtoms (symptoms) totally by accident.  My doc gave me gaba to help me get deep sleep at night bc I'm an insomniac  from my PTSD.  GABA was a great alt to the ambien and I got off that with no prob.  Well I told my doc I also wanted to stop taking meds, and he told me to taper.  Well after 3 years of taking oxy it's not really possible to taper unless you have an incredible amount of self control and mental strength to go through the pain.  I dumped the taper after a week and just took them until I ran out.  I took the gaba the night I ran out and had no wd symptoms.  I didn't feel 100% but I wasn't dying like I had before when I'd run out.  1200mg every 12hrs subdued my wd.  Still had loose stool, but it wasn't more 2 times a day.  Much better than going every 3 hrs lol.  After 5 days I stopped 1200mg dose during the AM and started taking Procera AVH and B4 (fat burner not vitamin)  You can find both of those at GNC.  After taking those two when I woke up everyday I got my "drive" back and I'm not caring or worrying about the pain as much bc I simply don't care about it as much.  I'm still taking ibuprofen 800 twice a day for my pain and tylenol when it gets bad.  GABA will NOT help with phycological wd.  That is something you'll have to help with yourself.  I wanted to be off the pills and knew if I didn't I would die from either an od or gasto perfs.  I overcame it psychologically by telling myself I was better without them and stronger than my pain.  the Procera and B4 will help with the psychological part as well.  They are both cognitive enhancers.  The B4 is more of a stimulant used for preworkouts, but it's worked great for this.  I've been off oxy for a month.  Even had the bad dreams where I couldn't get my script filled. lol  I feel so much better without them.  I still want them, but I KNOW I don't need them.  Unless you are bed ridden with pain still after wd then you don't need them either.  You can manage without them.  Make sure you're getting out of the house and going on walks too.  Expect to have night sweats for a few weeks from your testosterone lvls coming back to normal.  You'll be ok and you'll feel like you have climbed everest after you've made it a month.  Also if you don't tell your docs that you want off of them then you'll allow yourself to fall back into it.  Knowing my doc isn't going to give me anymore is a big help too.  Also don't go put a nail through your hand to get the stuff in the er.  Just go for a walk instead.  I know ppl who have done that crap before when they were having second thoughts.   Stay strong and stay strong off opiates!!!  

P.S.  I don't know if my gaba dosage will work for anyone over 100mg of oxy a day.  If your over a 100mg consistently a day then you might have to up the dose of gaba.  Make sure you talk to your doc.  Let him know you want to get off it bc of the wd symptoms you had one time you ran out early.  Putting it that way will keep the drug seeker stamp off your file, and give your docter the green light to help you off them.  Win-Win!!  
Hello Everyone, I just wanted to add my 2 cents being I am 20 days clean off of Suboxone's and am currently taking the Neurontins to help with the WithDrawls. I was never addicted to painpills or heroin but got addicted to the Suboxones it's self. I got into a Suboxone clinic and ended up being on them for 3 yrs and 4 months, I always kept myself at one a day never abusing them Thank God, anyways I was born and raised in Pittsburgh 34 yrs and just currently moved to Florida I didn't do my research before coming hear and I came to find out they don't cover suboxones down hear on medical or the script so I was looking at spending 600 a month just to stay on them. I ended up quitting them cold turkey. My sister gave me a whole bottle of Neurontins to help with the Withdrawal and I seriously thought they weren't helping until I went one day without taking them and felt like Death that day. They definitely do help and would be lost with out them. I have the 300 mlg I take 3 as soon as I wake up and 3 more towards the evening.  I plan to stop taking the Neurontins after a month because that's when I was told the Suboxones should be out of my system?
Make sure you wean/taper down the gabapentin/Neurotin....it's important not to cold turkey that drug.  Glad you are doing so well~