Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How is everyone on this beautiful Sunday morning?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Good morning all,Im just sitting here with a good cup of coffee watching the doves and hummingbirds fight over food.It looks like a scene from THE BIRDS lol Day 9 for me and I still feel pretty good.I hope everyone had a restful night.
Chezz,I hope your ok.

pixi
Tags: Addiction
Well, if it's day 9 for you, it must be day 8 for me.  I'm beginning to lose track!
I think I still have some more elephant to eat, though;-)

The sun is not up here yet.  It was 64 in my house this am.
im doing the oatmeal thing this morning,
just another attempt at normalcy,
i live near the wllo grove air base
there has been a lot of air traffic
something must be in the worx

day 8 and 9 that is a great, a new begining
keep posting we aall care
michael
Well good morning miss glam....Yep day 8 for you and I can tell your doing great.I was reading your posts from yesterday about your sister coming (I think) You be strong girl,I know the pain can get bad,but we have come so far....Wonder when i will stop counting days lol

pixi
Good morning....thanx for your thoughts and inspiration.I love reading your posts,they have really helped me get to day 9.I hope your day is filled with good things.

pixi
Day 6 for me,with a little help from Xanax. Such a teeny little pill that makes a world of difference. Nothing can bother me on this gorgeous fall day. Have a great day everyone!!
What oatmeal thing?  Do you mean eating it for breakfast?
Day 6!!  Really??  That's fabulous!  I thought you were in taper-hell.  But my memory is so bad.  Even when I go back and read thru the posts, I forget by the time I get to the posting screen.
Thrilled for you!
Good morning....You sound wonderful today!Day 6 was the start of my feeling human again.Keep up the good work.

pixi
Hows things in sunny Fla this lovely morning?you are usually the early bird around here.Probably out at baskin robbins with your four legged friends lol

pixi
Keep counting, OK?  Then I'll know where I am.

Yep, it's my sister.  She is just coming off a bad experience with methadone detox.  My guess is she won't make it here clean.  Coming with her family from far away.
I think the drugs have made her manic/depressive.  I don't want to be her mother.  I need too much myself.  I worry constantly about her kids.  She talks about suicide every day.

The thing is that tension can set off my disc pain.  And then i'm in deep s#$%.
Hey Cin,I know this sounds mean,but is there any way you can stop your sis from coming?you don't need the stress right now.Maybe later when your strong enough to take the physical and mental pain.I have 4 sisters myself,all having troubles and they think Im the strong one lol If they only knew!

pixi
No way, can't be done.  It's not mean, btw.  (You could never be meaner than me, sweetie)
About the air base thing.Thursday afternoon my wife got a call from her unit and they were updating their call list.She is a
Army Reserve Nurse in one of thoses mash units.There is something up and it's called going to Iqaq.I can't imagine her
getting that call to report but I think my fears are coming true.
Ok well like she said,she signed up and they have been paying
her all these years and it pay back time.I just hope we bomb the place and not send ground troops because if we do,she's gone.
                                bmac

p.s. Hey Pixi,Good game!!!
b mac stay positive, god kows we need to, you shoul be proud of your wife . good read youpost have good day brother
peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cincee , yes i ment brakfast, i have always kidded about being an addict and how it effests my whole life, like being an addict we are just not like normal or average people.
i have always felt like i have struggled to be average.
the definition of a normal person is 1 personalty or less.
we as addicts have different personalities, when i was growing up
when i hung out with the good guys i felt like a bad guy,
when i hung out with the bad i guys i felt like i was a good guy.
i amd basicly anti social , so  it is always a struggle for me
to fit in .

or just do normal things.
OK, I get it.  It's just that's there other weird things people do with oatmeal besides eat it. LOL
Thanks for the morning wishes. Day 9 for the Bear and it feels pretty good. Slept in today... getting back to a normal sched. with my wife.'/!#@$.
No flexiril, or Klonopin last night. Also I am Starting to cut back from the L-tyrosine to 4x500mg instead of 8x500mg daily. Accross the board my intake of vitamins is 50% as of today. The only suppliment that will stay the same is the Milk Thistle x 3 daily for Liver detox and improved function. The vitamins are good for the brain and WD, but absolute hell on our stomachs and colen. "Thomas' Recipe" really helped my WD.
I truly love reading the daily threads. Just because I have been light on my posting does not mean I'm not reading the daily threads. I'm here....
Chezz? Where are you? Is everything OK?
Goldenbear
Day 7.  I'm now past where I was when I slipped big (on 9/23, which was then day 6)for 24 hours followed by just enough to get me though the work week w/o crashing and a quick taper over last weekend.  Next mile stone is 3 weeks (which I haven't done since mid June to early July), then a full month (which I haven't seen since last March).  I'm going to get to these and much longer day-by-day.

I'm really glad pixi made me think of the Odyssey yesterday.  I printed out that part from Book XII and plan to be "bound to the mast" if/when the hydro calls to me.

Well, back to the day . . . .

CATUF
I an intermittent poster...on day 7 from a 4 year lorcet addiction.  Encouragement to those who are reading these postings wondering if they can go off the meds, as I did 2-3 weeks back.  I live in a remote part of Paraguay, and have no access to any of the Thomas ingredientes.  I went flat out CT, just using hot baths, theraputic massages (cheap here), and lot's of nature.  Days 1-3 and even part of day 4 were hell, no doubt about it.  I had 30 minutes of sleep each day.  But the beautiful thing is how fast you begin to recover.  Each day is a bit better.  Last night I slept straight from midnight to 7 am for the first time.   I have "lost" all physical cravings for the hydro, but I do still miss them, and would be challenged if a handful were placed in front of me.  But I will beat that in a few more days or weeks.

It can be done, and if you are fortunate enough to have access to Thomas ingrediente, even more so.

The other beautiful part about the whole detox process is how you feel like like the "garbage is coming out of your system".  Maybe I was doing the wrong thing, but I did not stop the "runs".  For me, going to the b-room with hydro was a mission to mars, maybe 1-2 times a week.  I had gone from a 5'9 muscular 145 pounds, 6 mile a day runner, to a 170 pounder with a large belly, who could not muster 3 miles.  I constantly had a terrified feeling about what the implic ations were of not going to the bathroom.

On day 7 I am down 10 pounds, all in the tummy.  I finally feel like my organs are being allowed to do their job. I am far too weak to run even 2 miles, but I will begin this afternoon a 1/2 mile a day walk/run increment program, and some weights.

The most difficult thing will be to overcome the delusional confidence level that the hydros give you. I was a high power corp exec up until a few months ago, when I took a sabbatical to clear my priorities. Beginning 4 years ago, the hydros (10 day) were my extra confidence boost, and AT FIRST allowed me to extend my frenetic work day to 18 hours, 6 days a week, meetings and meetings, intense social life, followed by a run every day late at night or early morning...NUTS.  My cohorts were amazed, what an executive, one of a kind...work, pary, workout, all results.  HOWEVER, as like Cinderella, the hydro boost is a bust in short order.  After 2 years of the superman style enhancement, came the second 2 years of becoming more and more lethargic, not wanting to excecise, gaining weight, dozing off in meetings, losing my usual sharpness on mind and criterea, and feeling increasing worried that I was poisoning myself.  That is when I said stop and I started looking for help, and found this site.

I assume some of this must sound familiar to some of you.  What a nasty little drug, what an ability to seduce even the strongest of you, wrap you in pelasure and confidence, and then slam dunk you.  It can happen to anyone...in my case no drug background other than the casual puff in a party or beers at a game.  A real devil's advocate, or the devil himself.

GO CANES ... from a CANES alum.  No contest this year, too bad, really, bit boring. Lot's of Vols postings, see you soon.

Good luck to those "considering" but not posting...you can do it. Do yourself and your loved ones the favor.

Good job Strider!  Boy, do you sound better than you did just a few days ago!

What you were saying did sound very familiar - I can't count the number of nights I was up until 3 or 4, but still up by 6:30 or 7:00.  The only thing you said that I can't relate to is weight gain -- I would lose 10 to 15 pounds on a binge and get back to normal only if clean for 3 or 4 weeks.  What a roller coaster.
my knowledge of geography is really (REALLY) bad...what is next to paraguay...i mean i know it's in south america.  is it near bolivia?  how long have you lived there?  i guess hydros are readily available everywhere huh?

i enjoy your posts, and you sound much better.  when i detoxed from them, i let myself get very dehydrated...i couldn't eat or drink anything.  i wouldn't run anywhere until you make sure you are fully hydrated again...walking might be a better idea.

i incorporated metamucil into my diet while taking any type of narcotics, and it really works great.  so, i never really had that "going" problem opiate addicts tend to experience.

anyhow, good to hear you are feeling better...keep posting:)

I am not saying cold turkey is a better way.  For some it could cause seizures depending on what/how much they're taking.
I am sure that age makes a difference, but I don't know in what way.  It seems most meds warn that they take longer to clear the system in older people.  That would lead me to believe that detox would take longer.

I was only saying that tapering did not work for me, but I felt safe going ct.  That doesn't mean it's safe for all.

Let us know how you do.
Hi.  After reading striders post, I am encouraged that things will get better for me.  I'm 2 years on oxycontin.  Today is my 6th day of cutting back into half the dose. I feel TERRIBLE. Minimal sleep. Leg kicks out of this world. My legs hurt so bad. My hands are cold and numb. Alittle shakey (shaky).  I'm in hell and want out of this body. Any advice out there? I don't know if I should lay around (like I feel like doing) or get out and try to do something. My body feels so weird.  I still have daily pain and am trying to manage some on my own.  I know that I'm in this for awhile and that it will take along time to competely be free of OC's. Thanks for reading.
The more I read into the post's, the more I relate to Strider. I too was in the corporate world and lost my position to corporate downsizing (so anyway, "downsizing" was the word used for being canned!)  An auto accident has me dependant on all this stuff. First Lorcet's, then another doc stopped the Lorect's and started the Oxycontin, along with Xanax, Neurontin, Celebrex, Soma and others, but those are the ones I'm wanting off of. I have taken it among myself to detox myself off. I'm confused because I still experinece pain on a daily basis, but want to deal with it differently, if at all possible.  The drugs have made me feel somewhat normal and good for the past 2 years, but now I have found that I can't do anything until I start my day with at least 60 mg. OC. What a terrible life to live.  I have also been informed that I have Acis REflux and I do believe that this is another result from popping so many pills on an empty stomach.  I have ordered and on the way, Yoga tapes. I'm hoping that I can start myself into my own program of strenghtening and strecthing program. Today is a HELL day. I didn't get to sleep until 3am, was back up at 4 am and then again at 8am. I'm just looking for some advice or maybe just encouragment. Have a Great Day all and Hang in there.
Could someone tell me what the Thomas Recipe is? Thanx.
hi - when do you plan on getting down to zero?  do you have a date in mind?  yoga is wonderful for body and mind.  i have a bunch of tapes, and when i actually make the time to do them, i feel great - my mind is clear and i feel like i just had a good massage.  

you should check out "thomas' recipe" - all natural supplements for making detox an easier process.

good luck to you:;)
Hi,and welcome.We all know what you are going through.The leg aches were the worst for me also.I was taking hydro,about 20mg daily but even at that small dose the withdrawls were terrible.Im on day 9 now and things are getting much better.Thomas recipe will help a great deal.Its posted everywhere in here.Im not familiar enough with it to write it off the top of my head.There are a lot of people here who are either on oxy,off oxy or trying to get off oxy.it's alittle slow around here on the weekends but dont stop posting.The people here are all wonderful and you will get a lot of support and encouragement.I wish you luck.

pixi
i am in the same boat as you, i am starting to taper off oxcontin myself, havn't been on it but a short time, but had been on percocet for almost 6 yr, just on 10mg 3 a day, will start on 2 a day tomorrow, i am having bad leg pain today, the dr wants me to take it slow, 2 months i should be off of the bad stuff, hope so anyway, stay in touch, we will fight this thing together. good luck.
News flash for your body:  Your tolerance will go way down, like you think, but only for a very, VERY short time.  If you get tricked into thinking you can feel good on it again, STOP.  It won't last more than a heartbeat and you'll soon be back to your previous doses or higher.  Even a short stint can lead to w/d just as bad as you have suffered this last week.

You sound very strong.  Pile up the good parts of being straight, and keep them front and center.  I think it's more of a desire than a matter of strength.

You're doing it!!!
Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading your posts and pulling for you.
I have never successfully tapered.  To me it draws the process out and when I'm in severe pain, the promise of relief is more than I can face.
When your days come to completely stop, remember that the physical pain, the restless legs, all that will be gone in a few days.
I am on day 8.  No pain or restless legs at all anymore.
I feel a little sad, but there's lots of non-drug reasons for that.  I've also had some deeply positive feelings I don't think I would have had while in the fog of using.
As posted by Hippy on 8/15:

l-tyrosine 1000 mgms 4 a day week 1 ,2 a day the next weeks.
b-6 100 mgs 2 a day
vitimines A c and E 2 A DAY OF EACH
A STRONG MULTI VITIMINE 1 A DAY
ZINC 1 ADAY
COPPER 1 A DAY
PHOSPHORUS 1 ADAY 500 MGMS
MANGANESE 1OMG 1 A DAY
CALSIUM-MAGNISUM 1 A DAY

IMODIUM (immodium) FOR THE SHITS THE 1ST WEEK

TAKE THIS RECEIPE AS IT IS LAID OUT IT REALLY WORKS WONDERS.
thanks very much for responding, you may be right, but i am dreading the withdrawls so much, but if this dosen't work, i will try your way, i really do want out of this, i am 70 yr old
it may be harder for me, do you think age makes any differnce?.
thanks again.
Because I'm a chronic pain suffer, I don't know if I could ever get to zero. But I am down from up to 150 mg. most days to NO more than 50 mg. per day.  My ultimate goal would be that by Christmas be off totally.  Thanks for the goodluck wishes.
Thanks pixi for posting to me.  I've been reading posts and trying to get the picture on what to expect and to maybe learn from someone that's been there, done that.
Thanks. I will start rounding up these items and get started. Finally, I'm looking forward to some relief! thanks
Hi and thanks for posting to me. This is terrible as now I can't remember what you said to me in your posting to me! But thanks
Cincee- I WAS in taper hell, but the urge was getting less and less and less each day. So, you want to hear what I did today? For crying out f-----g loud, I ended up taking 4 lortabs due to a gathering at my relatives. When I pop a beer, I HAVE to pop an LT. Anyway, it didn't do a God darned thing for me!! OK, so bad girl for doing it, but good girl for realizing that I really DON'T need them anymore. I'm almost glad that I had a little relapse. I think i was doing it to "reward" myself for tapering down to just one pill/day. Have you ever done that before...." Well, i didn't take many yesterday, so today I can take a bunch more". So, I'm actually looking forward to work tomorrow, and the fact that I know I can do this. How is your non-taking going?  Same as you, I forget about each and every person, but you are one of the first ones that I was keeping in touch with. Exercise DOES help big time. Also, I've been diving into work more since Wednesday. Anything to keep me occupied. Let me know what and how you are doing, ok hon? Hope to hear from you.

Steph
Steph,
Uh, yeah, I've done that justification thing before.  I told you, I don't taper well.  What happens is, first of all I never have quite enough, (who does?), so I have to do it fairly quickly, so the w/d sets in right away.  After a couple days of that, I do what you said.  It just drags out the suffering.

I am doing pretty well.  Day 8 is almost over.  No more pain or RLS or jitters.  Still wishing for more sleep, trying not to overdo benzos - switching things around.

It's a bright, beautiful world.  Hope I can stay in it.
Can't recall who asked, but Paraguay is landlocked, south of Bolivia, east of Brazil, north of Argentina.  Small country, very rural.  I came here for this CT detox, because I have a friend who has a farm, and there is lot's of nature and I can clear the body+mind.  I am actually from S Florida which must be one of the hydro capitals of the world.  I am going back in 2 weeks, and will be sourrounded by all of my "sources"...how many do I want to buy, 100? 1000?...easy as a candy store.  I think it is harder to detox when there is ANY CHANCE that you can get the drug.  I salute all of you who have been able to move along. By the time I get back, I will be over the "mental desire" to return to being superman.  It will be hard, because the body will tell me that it will be more like the first 2 years, when I was invincible, than the last 2 years, when I was miserable.

Saludos!
concratulations everyone on your clean time. Hang in there guys its worth it in the long run. And you feel heeps better for doning it. I have great admiration for anyone who goes through this **** and stays clean. Peace
Hi pixi, its me agian smiley, I was just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to help all these people with your past expierences and current struggles. I want you to know that gives me hope and faith that God will help through this big ordeal that I am fighting to do. I guess I feel that I'm all alone and that I couldn't do this on my own. I started a support group, but I hav'nt shared my hidden secret of my addiction, I'm so scared. I trully feel my body is so sick of this medication, but every time I try to stop, my body starts doing some really scary stuff. I want to be a good mother and a good friend, but I feel like I'm hiding a big lie, and if anyone finds out I will lose my childrens respect and love.

sincerely, smiley77
Good morning smiley
I rally do understand what your going through.You have made the first step by coming here and sharing your story.I can tell that you truly want to fight this addiction.I know that you will reach that point of saying I CAN DO THIS TOO! I am so glad you are here.We will all help in any way we can.

pixi