Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How long does Hydrocodone withdrawals last?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I was prescribed Hydrocodone/APAP (10/500) in December 2011. Never took more than the prescribed amount (3x Daily). I am now in day 5 since I quit cold turkey. The first 2 days were rotten. My whole body felt achy. Mostly in my lower back. I couldn't fall asleep. I finally fell asleep on the evening of day 2 and slept a good solid 9 hours. (Something I haven't done in quite a while.) When I woke up on day 3 I felt as if I had energy to burn. (Actually got more accomplished on that day around the house than I have in a long time.) However, after working about 8 hours on rebuilding one of my decks I figured I had worn myself down enough to get a good nights sleep...again. But that wasn't to be the case. Day 3 turned into day 4 with no sleep in between. I was able to sleep a little during the day and last night got about 6 hours sleep. But for the last two days I've had this feeling that my body's just not right. I've not had any nausea or vomiting, just diarrhea and a general feeling of malaise. And really not much energy or any ambition. Not sure if I'm bordering on depression. (Though I did have some ambition to get a little done on the computer when I woke up at 2:00 am this morning, but that only lasted a couple of hours.) Also, I find I have to be really hungry to eat (nothing sounds appetizing), and cigarettes (maybe fortunately) taste like they do when I'm sick with a really bad cold or the flu...ich!

Anyway, I have searched all over the net trying to find a list of withdrawal symptoms from Hydrocodone, and it seems no two sites can agree. And all the information I've found about how long the symptoms last are usually dealing with someone who's been taking a lot more per day than I have, and for a lot longer. So here are my questions:

First, can someone point to a reliable web site where they list the symptoms?
Second, how long I can expect this general lousy feeling last?
And last, how long will it take to get back to a feeling where I want to do more than just lay around all day?

Thank you all in advance for answering my questions.
The people here including myself have sucessfully detoxed and are clean from opiates. I was at 5-7  VIC ES plus Soma daily  for almost 2 years....  Theres no better to talk to than people that been through it.

Your amounts are considered fairly low so the good news is your detox is almost over. day 6 ish you begin to get natural energy back progessively getting better daily. You may get hit with mild depression or emotions will run rampant since they were supressed or medicated before.

Sounds like you're active so thats a huge plus, sunlight and exercise at your stage will speed things up.

Stomach for me was the last to get normal.....

stick around
All withdrawal symptoms vary from person to person. But it sounds like you have some. Mostly they feel like a flu or a bug...and sleep isn't easy when you stop.those pills. Withdrawals generally last 4-7 days. And if your on day 4. It's almost over. Except Tue sleep part. That will take some time. Some sleep in a few days. Others it may take a more. The best relish for sleep in my opinion is melatonin. You can pick that up over the counter at any pharmacy or Wal-Mart targets or health store.

Sorry that your having to deal with this. It should get better faster tho. You aren't on a big dose. So i. Should get beter every day.
For the low dose your on, you know the symptoms, you just listed them. Sleep is the number one complaint no matter how much you take. The flu is the best way to describe it, with diarrhea to boot. You should start feeling better pretty soon. Symptoms and opinions vary because every body is different. Most people benefit from vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and a protein drink, because food is hard to get down. The Thomas Recipe at the bottom right of this page is a good source. Your body needs time to heal, but acute symptoms will fade within a couple of days(opinion again). I'm glad you are stopping before it got real bad. Hope this helps.
Ditto what's been said above. No one is exactly the same relative to the symptoms or the duration, but after reading your post what you're experiencing is pretty much the norm. The tricky question is - when will you get back to feeling OK, and being motivated to do stuff.
You should start feeling OK (not normal, just OK) at about two weeks off the meds. Part of getting there is the mental side of recovery - your mind and body have become used to getting the meds, so they are still waiting. You were in a routine - taking pills at certain times of the day - and, like I said, your mind and body are waiting.
You should start feeling really normal in about four to six weeks. Energy will return in spurts; eat healthy and get some exercise and that will help things along.
I took hydrocodone for five years....usually three a day, sometimes four, and very rarely five.   So, like you, I didn't use as many as some people, but I still had withdrawal when I quit them.    I felt lousy, didn't sleep for two nights in a row, no energy, couldn't hold my feet still at night....I guess that is like restless leg syndrome (RLS).   I only had one bout of diarrhea.   I drank water constantly....all day and night.   I ate light meals, took vitamins, and made myself get up and move around, even when I didn't feel like it.   I had zero energy for quite some time.   In fact, just over a month in, I am just now getting energy back and I have no longer any desire to take a pill.  While I was detoxing, I kept thinking....if only I could take one....I would feel so much better....but I didn't.   Like Weaver said, be glad (I know I am) that you stopped before it got worse.  

Another thing I did was read this forum every day.   It helped keep me focused on how much worse this could have been.   The people here are absolutely amazing.   Someone is almost always here any time day or night if you need someone to talk to.
Thank you all so much. At least there's hope at the end of the tunnel. One of the good things about the past 4 days is not having any of the stuff around the house. And with my anxiety and panic disorder I know I could never "buy if off the streets". Just don't have the nerve to do something like that.

Anyway, today hasn't been too bad. Mostly just fatigued and sort of depressed. But now that I know to expect times like that it mkaes it easier to deal with it.

And knowing there's always someone hanging around here to talk to makes it even easier.
Thank you weaver71
Thank YOU everyone for all your information <3
hey ive been taking hydros for about 18 months it started out 1 500 mg a day now i am up to 3 500 mg a day i am trying to quit cold turkey i  did not take any today and i keep thinking i should just take one and i will feel better how long will this last
any one had deep bone pain?
I have been taking loratabs for about 4 years. I take 6 or 7 tens during the,week and 12-15 on the weekends. Idk how to quit. I need help.
I am happy to see all of us trying to quite taking these pills because each time I come here and read what you guys wrote makes me stronger to never take these pills again
To ab
To anyone trying to get off hydrocodiens I found it to be easier to get some Xanax not to much but to take a small dose in the morning and night it helps with the withdraws from the dones and at night help you sleep you still can't get great sleep but alot better then what you would if you were straight. I'm working on day 4 right now of my recovery and I still want to pop the dones extremely bad but I don't have that bad of withdraws just jittery. I just think it would be easier to find a temperaly safe alternative drug to use for a week or two to help with the recovery. Something like weed non habit forming Xanax is that great to me so il know il be able to quit but it's makeing it a lot easier. I know it's hard guys I've been on them for almost 2 years popping eneywhere from 10 to 15 10mg a day before I quit I slowed down to about 5-7 a day for a week then here I am now il let y'all know if it works but sometimes these withdraws can just push you back to takeing them I think I'm the weakest of them all cause there's been a lot of times I almost talked myself into takeing them good luck all.
By the way when you reach hour 72 it lets up the first two days are the worst
100 hours I'm proud of myself I havnt went this long sinse I been on them. I still have stomach aces and want to pop them so ******* bad it's unreal I keep telling myself why do you want to quit. Do you really want to feel normal and not to be high. I set short term goals like a week is my goal right now. So 68hrs to go before I reach my short term goal the nights are the worst especially the weekend fri sat and Sunday. Those were the days I pop 15-18 ten yellow or blue viks or dones whatever u want to call em. Does anyone still get on here. I want to know what the dates were for you when things starting to change. Your dates for change how long it took I know I took a lot more than the people on this list. Please reply by the way **** these mother ******* pills I got god on my side.
Congratulations!

Do you have any Immodium (Loperimide)? It's cheap and it helps and you can buy it at any supermarket or drug store.

From what I've read, the sleeplessness lingers past the acute WDs.

Here's what I do:

An hour before bedtime I take magnesium and potassium to soothe my restless legs, and a dose of 8 Immodiums (16 mg total) to soothe chills and sweats.

A half an hour before bedtime I take either a Melatonin (10mg) or a Unisom (equivalent of 50mg Benadryl).

Sometimes I wake up at the 4-ish hour mark and have a hell of a time going back to sleep. I'll try for maybe an hour to fall back to sleep but if it is not working I will take a Melatonin or Unisom, whichever one I did NOT take upon going to bed. I'm not sure that's advisable, but that's what I've done on rough nights lately.
Hi!

I was taking hydrocodone 10/325 plus soma 350 for the last year 3-4x a day and before that 1 hydrocodone 750/325 every or a vicodin every night for the past 3 years. I went CT just like you. I know my dosage was fairly moderate and I did have very severe back pain/post surgery.

It's been 2 weeks for me without meds. I am pretty sensitive so it took until day 6 or 7 for me to really feel a bit better. Sleep def was the worst problem as I had stomach trouble with the meds anyway.

Started acupuncture (never thought I would go for that but needed to deal with my constant pain) and that plus Chinese herbs have help both my pain and especially sleep. I am not even taking benadryl or anything at night and the last 3 nights I was able to sleep 7-8 hours....which is a miracle since during detox, it was in 1 hour increments. BLAH!

The best of luck to you...sounds like you're well on your way! Hang in there and keep on posting.
Just realized this is an old thread :/ Texan, you might want to start a new one.
Do y'all think if I take Xanax at night just a small dose for about a week to help with the sleep be okay. It's not an opiate and I don't care for Xanax much so I know it won't be hard to get off of. But do you think this is bad for trying to detox from the hydrocodons?
I've been taking oxycodone, vicodin, Percocet, etc. Basically anything narcotic I could get my hands on it was in me. Going into 36hrs without any pills whatsoever. The sleep is always the hardest for me by far. I've tried to quit this hell many times. Hopefully this is it. My wife has threatened to leave me if I don't drop it this time. I'm ready to be done. I was taking 3-4 oxycodones a day 20mg ones at that. Those stopped coming in so I started going to the er, urgent care or primary Dr, whatever I could get my hands on. I'm hoping to really shake it this time. I don't want to feel like this anymore ever again. It beyond *****!!! To anyone out there going through similar situations may god be with you and me. Pharmaceutical companies are not here for a cure they are here for a paycheck. Lets take a stand against these punks and lets all kick it for good! Peace!
I got hooked when i broke my leg laid on my back for 60 days living on 10/325 norcos 2 every 4-6 hours round the clock.the odd thing is i quit cold turkey after my pain got to a point it was managable and i was up walking,when my last script ran out i didnt take or even think of another pill.then i found a friend of a friend who has endless supply and i rememberd how good they made me feel so i bout a few here and there,well one leads too 2 and it grows from there i got to the point i was taking 5 at a time 5 times a day !! i know wow hu.long story short ive been tapering for the past month asnof yesterday i was taking halves 3 times a day last night at 3 in the morning i took my last half lol as anyone going thru this its now 4:15 the next day andnim writing in this forum on my cell phone,,i feel for evedyone here trust me. My advice if you are on a full dose is taper taper taper. I feel like crap i hurt all over my legs none stop moving a low dose zanex works really good to relax you dont be afraid of it if you really like hydros more then likley you wont like zanex to me the chances of trading addictions isnt likley. I read a few people say they wanted to just take one more to get thru the pain trust me im there but for me its time to quit. Back to my point DONT TRY TO JUST QUIT.if you have been on them theres no reason to go thru hell when you can take your time and make withdrawl (withdrawal) tons easyer. The trick is coming home after a shity day and be ready to take your half a pill and tell yourself a whole wont hurt i only had a half at lunch,thats the addiction you have if you can control your taper then you can control your withdrawl (withdrawal). During a taper you have already put your body in withdrawl (withdrawal). You just get a break from the bad feeling when you get to take your planned dose. What im going thru now is managable in my eyes so im confident in a week or so i should feel pretty good.i feel pain pills are a good thing we the people that abuse them are just weak in some way and they take your problems away. I was weak i admit it honestly they did for me what i beeded them to do. But its time to step up and be a man lol so to all that are up with me right now your not alone im shivering in my bed just like you are but we will stay strong and get thru it. I wish everyone my best and good luck. You can beat this,,IM GONNA.              Night.
Wow I'm reading this and yesterday was day 1 of taking 3-4 a day for 10 years. I was horrified what was to come. But I don't feel horrible just like I am sick with a cold. I took tylenol cold and flu and made me feel better. I was reading post where some Where takings 90mg a day or at once so it scared Me bad. So I'm glad to read the comments of the worst are 4-7 days and looks up from there.

You have made it this far keep going ill be right behind you.
The 500 is the tylenol are you taking 5/5 7.5/5 or 10/500
How slowly did you taper with the half pill, scot?  I'm currently doing what you recommend and am down to 1/2 three times a day, although I have to admit I really want the whole pill.  lol  I don't know if I'm ready to drop to zero yet, since I'm still having trouble coping with just the present dose.  How long did you stay on the 1/2 dose?  Thanks.  By the way, I just can't get warm all day long, and I turn the electric blanket up higher at night.  That sound familiar?
I'm sitting here at 3am with restless leg and anxiety. I started taking hydro 10/500s 5-6 times a day after my second foot surgery. It began to totally affect my attitude and work and I realized I started to want them more for how felt (warm n fuzzies) than the pain. So I decided to go cold turkey. After the first day I began to have the worst anxiety ever. Pacing, restless, I even felt short of breath. Scared I didn't know what to do. I went online and found different forums. Said better for the symptoms to taper and not go cold turkey.  So I took 1. The symptoms got better (not completely) but enough to where I could sleep a bit. I've gone from the 5-6 to 1 in the evening for the last 3 days. I still feel anxious but I can feel my brain starting to unfog. I am cutting to 1/2 tab this evening and had planned to do that for a couple of days then go back to zero. I just wanted to know thoughts on that? I know I have an anxiety/depression problem anyway which I take lexis pro for (6 years). I'm just tryin to do the right thing and get back to myself. I've only been on them for about 2 months but they have affected me so strongly. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I'm right where you are in the anxiety and restless legs except I'm having restless body symtoms (symptoms). And my skin hurts. My husband touched me last light and I went through the roof!  I took hydrocodone  in a larger dose(10/750) years ago after a car accident for several years and didn't have a problem coming off the meds. This time I'm on it for arthritic pain in my back and I've only been on it for four months @ (10/325). What has happened to me is I ran out of my meds. early due to a neck surgry flare up. The doc wrote my refill on Feb.26 and wouldn't refill it till to today. I've   been living in HELL! The only good that has come of this is I'm tappering myself off this crap! I never want to feel this way again! Cold turkey is not working for me. I really wish you the best. I read your post and felt a connection. I wish you well.
Just wanted to let you know that the original poster that started this thread dates back to July 2012.  I was new to MedHelp and this forum at that time and did not know HOW to post my own thread.  I ended up posting on someone else's old thread and didn't receive much response.  So, you may already know this, but wanted to share how this forum works so you can get more responses to your own, individual questions.
If you hit the "back to community" button (at the end of this thread) and then at the top of the substance abuse forum, hit the orange "post a question" button, you can start your own personal thread where all CURRENT forum users can see and respond to you.
The older threads get overlooked and many of those people aren't even around anymore.  Each person that posts their own question/thread and STAYS with that thread will get a lot more help and support that way. (plus it's easier to remember your circumstances and follow you that way)
P.S.  Sorry if this seems like a "simplistic" explanation....but for ME, I was new to ANY internet forum and wished someone had explained it to me.
Hope it helps and hope you'll keep reaching out.....great support here~
Please be careful with taking xanax!!  My brother in law is in the hospital as we speak.  He was taking 12 - 15 norcos (10-325) a day, started taking xanax to help him sleep and at time took 2 because one didn't work.  He tried to go down to 3 hydros a day and stopped the xanax.  Day 3 into it, he was experiencing horrible withdrawal, not sleeping, shakes, tremors, palpatations, the feeling like he was going to pass out, sweats. and the worst of all he was convulsing!!!  as I have done some research, convulsing is rare and can be fatal!!  He was very lucky to get to the hospital when he did, or he would have potentially died!   the ER doctor said he would rather try to get 100 people off Norco, than 1 person off xanax!!  Do some research on xanax withdrawal!!
Well today is Tuesday and i haven't had anything since Friday! Woo hoo! It really does get easier everyday. Although today my head feels a little weird, like some kind of strange chemical thing happening in my brain. Other than that the energy is coming back and i truly am feeling better everyday!
My husband has been taking Hydrocodone 10/325 for six years from a head injury. He is trying to come off and has gone from 8 a day to one and now has none. The W/D's he is going through are a nightmare, and I should say we b/c I am up with him all night. For the most part they only happen at night, its weird, During the day he has headaches but10 minutes after he lays down the jittery shaking starts, muscle tension, usually freezing and can not stay still for 3 minutes. He has taken xanax, ambein, lorzapan (sp) none of these help at all. Usually he finally gets to sleep around 4am from extreme exaustion. alarm for work then goes off at 530 and he is late for work everyday this week. I don't understand why the W/D's are so bad at night, why not all day? He is sleeping now went to bed around 7am, so here I am trying to find out what he can do to at least sleep better at night. I feel so helpless.
I have been taking 4 500mg a day for 10 years, after I had my back surgery. I knew i wanted off them, they basically ruled my life, always thinking about taking that next pill to get me through whatever. I tapered off fast. Here is how I did it...........In the morning I made myself wait to take a pill at 11 am..(just knowing i could take a pill at anytime helped me to wait).....then keep busy, if you stay at home clean, take a walk, go shopping, just get out of the house..its easier if you work, your mind is off it....    Next..... take your second pill at 3pm..if you can try and do something to keep you busy...and see how farther you can go maybe to 4pm.... the next day do the same thing for about a week ...then cut that pill in half and do it with a half a pill.... then after a week of that... try waiting longer in the morning to take your first pill... and so on and so on... You got to make yourself do it... and I'm telling you pretty soon and i mean soon when you wake up and 11 comes around and your busy or you left the house you wont even feel it that you havent taken a pill yet. After that I didnt even need a pill even more, my back got used to the pain little by little and my body got used of not taking a pill. Hope this helps, if you can stay strong and discipline yourself you can get off this medication without having wds.   Just remember the main thing is to stay busy and if all GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!!
i have been taking upto 6-9 10/500 hydrocodones a day, for over 10 yrs, i am sick and tired of the vicious cycle, now 24 hrs without any in my system and feel terrible, taking low dose once a day of xanax to help, with such a strong addiction i know that coming off of them cold turkey is hard but there is no other way, any advice for others similar in my situation
So my story is I have a upper neck and back injury.  It's bulging disk and pinch nerve issues.  It can become quite painful but it isn't an everyday thing.  But I made it an every day thing!  The worst part about it is I was addicted to them once before a few years back.  I wasn't taking near as many and for a different reason.  Probably taking 50-60 mg a day back then.  I tapered some then just at the end cold turkey.  It was pretty rough for about 4 days.  Same symptoms as stated above by everyone.  I think the emotional stress is the worst part of it for me, although the aches and stomach issues are no joke either.  Anyway, I started taking them again about a year and half ago.  10 mg ones, varied from norco, tabs, cets, the usual culprits.  I was taking the normal dose, maybe 6 in a day at max in the early stages and was able to taper and get off for about a week.  Felt good!  Then, as I said, started again with one here and there for stress and they give me energy.  Then it gradually developed until it was out of control.  Just like another member on here, anywhere from 10-14 during the week just to feel normal, then on the weekends it was probably 20.  I knew i had a severe issue and my wife had no idea.  Finally, i had to come clean.  I was going to try and taper but every time i tried i'd go right back to the same amounts or worse.  I was not capable of tapering!  I told my wife and let me tell you that was the hardest, lowest, most horrifying part was to have to tell her what was going on.  I was stealing medicine, buying it, you name it!  What addicts do!  It took over!  After telling her, I called and found a place to treat me.  I thought it was a place where they may admit me and we'd do the detox thing and go from there.  Well they don't do it there.  They wanted to put me in the hospital but could not find anywhere that would take my insurance.  They decided to treat me on an outpatient basis.  So they gave me 4 days worth of suboxone, clonidine, and a couple of other things to help.  Well, for the 4 days with suboxone i was fine, i was in withdraw when i took it (make sure you ARE, or you will regret it), and i was able to cope.  Then i took my last dose of it last wed morning.  I was good until Friday when the dizzy, little aches, stomach issues started to rear their head.  Then by Sat it was on, body aches, sweats, anxiety, miserable!  By sunday, i really thought i may have to go to ER.  I was actually scared of how i was feeling.  I was have tremors and couldnt set still, i was scary.  I took a half a xanax and that seemed to really help.  I tried to go to work monday but didnt last long.  Today is a week free of anything (suboxone) and two weeks from pain meds and i am feeling better today than i have in almost a week.  I don't ever even want to look at one of those damn things again!  I'm still a little achy but made myself yesterday get out and walk, did mow some, did a little around the house but was worn out.  Today i went and walked again, about a mile and change, and the aches are slightly less than yesterday but still a little nagging.  I went to my normal doctor yesterday and had to tell them what was going on.  I've developed acid reflux issues plus what im betting is gastritis.  No fun!  After telling them what was going on they were in amazement that i was not in the hospital.  The dose of clonidine, from what i gathered, was pretty low considering the amount i was taking.  And they said you probably should have been admitted somewhere and stressed to me if it for some reason flares up go to the ER.  It makes me look back at Sunday and think that could have been a very dangerous situation.  I would not recommend doing it on an outpatient basis if you can help it.  At least get the detox part done at a hospital where they can monitor you, if you are as bad as me of course, everyone is different, but it can definitely be dangerous.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone!  It has been a pretty humiliating experience!  Not only telling my wonderful loving wife, but family, doctor, and others.  It brings me to tears every time I have to tell it  The good thing is I think i've turned the corner on some of this WD stuff.  Past two days have gotten a little better, so that is promising.  I'm also going to start going to NA meetings and trying to build a support system.  I do go to counseling as well so I'm hoping these are all the right steps.  I wish all of you the best in your fight!  It is a fight!!  But each one of you have the strength to do it, it isn't easy, but you CAN beat it!  Good luck and God bless all of you!    
I am going through the same thing.  So far, 32 hours without a pill.  I was taking 10-15 10-325 hydros a day.  Reading these stories helps me hang in there.
Hi there just a  question is hydro like oxycotin its just hard to compare with what I was on to everyone else I was on 5x 80 ml tablets 2xday so thats 800ml a day.
Yes, except the oxycodone is stronger and withdrawals will be more severe.  I don't think you were on 80 ml 5x a day.  Were you taking 80 mg 5x per day?  If so, that is equal to 400mg of oxycodone which is stronger than 400 mg hydrocodone.  400 mg of hydro would be equal to taking forty 10mg-325mg hydros a day.  The 10mg is the opiate mg and the 325mg is the acetaminophen amount.
Well, I am 41 hours without a pill.  Been taking ambien to get about 4 hours of sleep.  At work today, but nausea and diarrhea are in full-force.  Been drinking some Jack Daniels to take the edge off the anxiety and make this a little more bearable.  Chasing the jack Daniels with Gatorade to keep hydrated.  If you get dehydrated, the muscle cramps get worse as well as the RLS.  Just started taking immodium to help with the diarrhea.  So far, my prescription for my withdrawals is working...just hope nobody smells Jack Daniels on my breath here at work.  Constantly have breath mints in my mouth.

Please keep posting folks.  Reading these posts is helping keep me strong.
Also, wanted to mention... I am taking the following vitamins: Glucosamine, Chrondroitin, B-12, and Magnesium.  Seems to help with RLS and muscle cramps.
Yes, I've been through this before, but for some reason, my stupid arse always goes back to using.  I hope this time is different; I hate these withdrawals.
This is day 10 clean for me, still battling some aches, stomach, fatigue is bad, depression n emotional stuff. Its been a tough ride! But i know its going to get better if i can stick with it. I really didnt expect this at day 10 but gotta keep plugging away. Anyone know what is typical with the fatigue issue n how long it lasts? U can see above what i was taking. I did get some vit b complex n magneseum to take. I havent really noticed a difference yet.
is any one taking the neurontin i may  have not spell that right , and zanaflex, i was taking this and still am and the hydrocodone 7.5 and the dr dismissed me all of a sudden was on this four times a day for over a year so i think it has been two days now without any of the hydro and i have tramadol but is this not just as bad i am having withdrawals but seems like the tramadol is cutting the edge a bit on the withdrawals so after looking up the tramadol i found it has withdrawals also , so i will stop that,, just don't know what to do about all this pain, i have fibromyalgia and arthritis and osteoporosis, an old compression fracture in the lower back with that nerve pain that goes down the leg and it is awful if any of you have this pain you know what i mean so if any of you know what i should do just let me know,  
I, too, found the wd worse at night. I would feel semi human during the day and then as it grew darker, every heebie jeebie connected with wd became more intense.
I am past the icky parts at 7 days and am now wondering if I will ever be able to walk without feeling I am going to faint. But I am sleeping better and longer than I have in decades. Since I have a couple of degenerative diseases I worried about the chronic pain but I have read so much about how hydrocodone can trick the brain into feeling pain so that we will keep taking it more and more. So I decided I need a clean slate before I continued in the haze. Thanks for the info hear and good luck to all.
I take 4 neuron tin a day for severe never damage. As I took myself off the pain meds, I tried to keep taking the others especially my blood pressure and neurontin since my rheumatolgist recommends the neurontin for my back pain as well as neuropathy. I decided to address my chronic moderate to severe pain from a clean slate since I have read that hydrocodone can trick the brain by manufacturing pain that will keep us taking it. I have been taking pain meds for the past  20 years, with increasing doses the past 8 or 9. I began to think I was serving to masters, my pain and my fear of running low on meds and facing withdrawal. I cannot deal with that any longer. In Oct I begged my dr to take me off the meds without me going through wd, but he didn't think I could live without the meds since my health situations are ones I have been living with since I was a teenager. So I kept taking the pain meds. But no more.
if I am taking A high dose of hydrocone and only have 5 10/325 left will taking one A day help I was taking 10 A day.
I have been taking bout five hydro 10 mg for about a week to help me get off hard drugs....they have helped but now I try to cold turkey the hydros and feel real achy...about how long will this withdraw last approx after taking about 30 pills in one week....thanks for any advice.
What about a pounding heartbeat? I have been taking hydrocodone 10/325 for the better part of 4 years now. It got to where i was taking anywhere from 10-12 a day then realized the adverse effects (mainly on my wallet and relationship) and eventually cut down to 4 a day, then 3, and so on. I still have a few left, and am muscling through the day until i cant stand it, then taking half of one or one. I work in food so i cant afford to be too abrupt with my customers. Its getting so much easier to make it through the day, but my heart feels like it is punding out of my chest! Is this from withdrawal? I have been doing some cardio and endurance excercising at the gym, and wonder if the hard heartbeat is a mix of the gym and withdrawal? Any thoughts are GREATLY WELCOME!!!! Im almost there after 4 years. Id rsther not have a heart attack. My heartbeat is part of the sleeplessness ive seen mentioned.
Clonidine is a blood pressure reducer but strangely enough it takes the withdrawal symptoms away,ive been taking 12 hydros a day for a year ,on day 4 and  taking a cquple of clonidine daily feel pretty good but weak My Doctor recommrnded  the treatment
Your comments on feeling of malaise, etc, are also part of the W/D process. Just be thankful you had an energetic day so early on. I am on day 9 and this is the first day I felt like getting out of bed. You did not abuse the drug. You will be fine, just gotta give your system time to reboot and get your body making its own chemicals, etc. Every day will get better. Promise.
Hey,
Isit possible to have withdrawal symptoms after just taking hydrocodone for 5 days?? I took about 20 pills over all.  When I stopped I started having really bad nausea and stomach pain, basically just feel like I have the flu.  And irritable.  My doctor prescribed me something for nausea, he said he thinks it might have something to do with the hydrocodone....just thought it was weird cause it's been 2 days since I've taken it.  Any insight would be great....thanks!
I feel EXACTLY like this.  I was on Percocet and then Norco 7 for approximately 3 weeks due to gall bladder inflammation and then removal.  Once the surgery pain went away I stopped the pain meds.  I immediately started having trouble sleeping which is odd cause I take Klonopin (2mg/day) for anxiety/panic.  I actually went to the ER this morning due to a panic attack which hasn't happened in quite a while.  Now my stomach is cramped, I feel sick, my eyes can't really focus.  I was wondering if it was possibly the Hydro withdrawal.  I took 20/30 pills of the Hydro and the week prior to that was 15 Percocet over about 7 days.
I've been taking hydro 7.5/325 around 7 a day for the past 8 months. I'm trying to stop using them now. Will the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms be as severe compared to if I had been on it for years, I haven't had any in 2 days and I am starting to feel very dizzy, but that's about it.
I'm new here and I want to ask what the damage is to my liver if anyone knows from taking 1/500-750 hydrocodone a day for 2 years with alcohol just about every night.  I'm withdrawing now on day 4 without either and I feel like I have a very very bad flu, freezing some stomach pain, diarrhea and body aches.  hard to sleep.  How do you know if there has been permanent damage to the liver with the combination?
Hello all.
On Feb. 23, 2013 I broke my leg. Was on vicodin for 2 1/2 months 7.5 mg taken about 5 times daily. Then weaned off for another 1 1/2 months, and now have been completely off for 1 month. About the same time I started to wean off, which I kind of did too abruptly (I didn't know), my vision became very blurry. As I went on, I started to feel more symptoms, burning smell that no one else smells,chills, shaking, headache, mind fog, irritable bowels, extreme pain, weakness in arms and body, exhausted, and of course the blurred vision and other vision problems such as floaters, visual snow, light is too light, dark is too dark. I am still experiencing all of these symptoms at 1 month off now! Not able to exercise because of still rehabbing from the broken leg. When will these withdrawal symptoms go away? What about the vision problems especially?
DLynn we posted in your other thread. It's easy to stay in one place so people can follow your history
I am currently withdrawing hard... I was taking 60 to 80 mgs per day for the past month and quit cold turkey after a long night of drinking, cocaine, pills, and cigarettes... My whole body hurts, especially my lower back kidney region. Diarrhea, can't eat. Can't sleep, my limbs are spastic. If I sit up the room seems to start spinning. I have taken a multivitamin and 8 melatonin tabs to no avail. This *****. Dont do drugs.
I am 18 about 6 to 8 months ago i had surgeey was taking hydros and started abusing them slowly taking more and more for about two weeks after two.weeks one night i took about 20 to 25...maybe more...i smoked weed which i never do bc i.couldnt sleep....but i passef out in my bathroom and woke up the next day from that day on i have felt tge physical effects which obviously have passed but i have felt like i havr been in a dream like state.for about six months now and its so scary they diagnosed me with depression and anxiety but this hasnt helped i take the meds but still feel foggy and spacey like in a dream its ruining my life has anyone experienced this and is it.from the druga that have done something.to my brain or is it the depression and anxiety and what should i do?
wow!  i have a L5-L4 bulging disc due to my snowboarding years, im now 46 and feel 86 due to my pain!  daily headaches, hip soreness, and feet aches are daily problems.  so the VA has me on the 10/325 3x daily.  of course i doubled on each intake and was doing 20/650  3x daily!!!!  i was feeling GREAT!  i started mountain biking again, (popped pills before and after) felt great... went to work popped 2x AT work!!  now I am tired of it.  I am going to the Laser Spine Institute soon and get rid of this issue.  According to the sales, nurses and doctors i will be 90% after 5 days?.  so i tapered off my drugs and i have read every post on this forum and yep... thats me!  anxieity is the worse! i take my nightly cyclobenzene to help me sleep but the hyrdocoden WD suck!  i am amazed how easy it is to pop pills to feel good for only hours, just to do it agin... good luck ppl!!!
when i went to prison in 1998 i was taking ten to 12 methodone caps a day.. my doc had switched me to the methodone to get me off the vicodin i was on (8 #10s a day..which sometimes i took up to 12..and one time took 20)..anyway the switch to methadone was a joke...just another opiate type..loved them just like the vicodin...but once arrested they may have given me one a day for two days and cut me off...it was the worst time in my life...i became so distressed that i faked a suicide in my cell...and they took me to county mental health for a shot that knocked me out for about two days...woke up strapped down in a room on a table with a camera on me..naked of course...didnt sleep for 15 days....never threw up....but never felt so bad and just not right in mind and body....hallucinations...no real crazy images...but i saw lines in the air for days could not write a letter for months..sometimes shook uncontrollably off and on all night...took me about two months to get right...i was sentenced to 8 years..so was able to stay away from them....vicodin is a great drug for pain and it makes some people like myself feel great if u can keep ur dosage down to one or two a day...but if you are an older guy and you enjoy sex forget it...it will greatly reduce your performance.....the best i believe is to be able to run on your own steam and not use things to alter the way u feel...to feel better. i believe that someone who needs that (such as i) is weak emotionally for some reasons and needs something more to feel good when he works... when he shops..when he drives..when he goes dancing...when he talks...when he does all things...we are cowards....we have addictive personallities...(that is the cowardice right there)..but i also know that there are reasons for this too...but i also know that for the person like me who loves this pill as much as life itself....there is no greater reward than to be opiate free...all things are better!!!..but i still defend the use of this drug...just know yourself and your stengths and weaknesses....because it can ruin you...donny
I've been taking hydrocodone 10-325 , 10 of them a day, usually take three when I wake up at 2:30 in the morning to go to work. Then about 11:00am at work I take 5 then usually 2 or three at about 6:30 pm when I lay down to try to go to sleep for work the next day. I know that's 11 pills but I vary on the amount that I take before I go to bed. I work a 4am till 2:00 pm job operating heavy equipment. How am I going to quit taking this stuff and maintain my job when I go through withdrawals? I've been taking them like this for almost a year now and I'm starting to need to take more so I have that nice warm feeling and the energy I need to work 6 days a week? I go to a pain clinic to get my meds and I'm afraid to tell him my problem because he'll know I've been lying to him because I only get 180 pills a month from him and I steal the rest from some of my relatives to make ends meet. Some weekends if I have Saturday off ill take maybe 13 or so to get work done around the house. I'm in big trouble and don't think I can maintain the job I have and go through withdrawals at the same time, I don't have any more paid time off this year so I'm gonna have to do it somehow and still go to work. I keep telling myself to just keep taking them until my vacation time- 3weeks- is replenished in January but I'll just be that more addicted to them and probably be taking even more. Any advice or opinion is welcome .
Oh, man. I think you'd better taper down or call your boss and tell him you've got the flu. (The flu can take a week to get over so the excuse will buy you time.)

I'm on day 7 now, and its still rough. Fortunately, I prepared for this and have plenty of food and drinks.

Things I'm going through:

Blood pressure is through the roof. I went to EmergiCare and it was 190/107. BP meds (beta blocker) isn't working much.

My tongue is bouncing around like crazy. My voice is shaky.

What little sleep I get is induced by alcohol.

My only pleasure now is TV and listening to Jango.

But, I'm looking forward to getting my refill a week from now and TAPERING down.

Wow, all I can think to do is when I get my refill next Thursday is to start tapering down. I have a few but not enough to last me until then. I tried today by going without any and tripling up on my adder all. I thought it was gonna work there for a little while. But it only worked for a little while. Then I went and stole 3 from my wife who doesn't hardly ever take any and took them so I wouldn't have to use any of mine. Then I stole 3 more about 4 hours later. She's gonna find out and relly be pissed cuz she knows I'm addicted and has been warning me to taper off or get out of her life. I have a lot of chronic pain and that's for real. But I let the pills get out of hand and now I'm screwed. Hope I can make it until next Thursday. This *****. The only reason I've been able to hang on to my job is because of hydrocodone. Without it there is no way I could even work, I'd have to try for disability. Forget that!!
Oh, man. I can so relate to what you're going through.

How long have you been taking it? How do you know you can't work without it if you've been on it a long time? Actually, if you've been taking it a long time you probably won't be able to work for a little while. But, I have to believe that most people going through withdrawal suffer relatively mild effects. I believe that because when I called the local treatment center they said they couldn't take anyone new for 5 weeks. They didn't tell me to go to a hospital or anything like that so I'm thinking most people just pound through.

But, you gotta slow down with the wifey's drugs. IF you get any more, just take one twice a day, then one a day...Believe me, when you run completely out like I have, you'll be wishin' you had held some back.
Mineman, I've been thinking...

I think you'll have to tell your wife. People aren't stupid and she's gonna notice you acting differently. Either that, or start coughing to start a ruse.I think you're gonna have to either fess up or construct a fake flu.

But you gotta start now.

Get some Immodium.

Have plenty of food and drink.

I'm thankful I've had a blood pressure tester. I legitimately have two reasons for my bp to be up. 1. I'm withdrawing. 2. I kicked my husband out and a couple days later he went into congestive heart failure. (But, that was related to his morbid obesity - not me kicking him out.) Anyway, I think I'm fortunate to have the bp medicine. I'm not sure if it's helping or if my body is starting to adjust.

Oh, and one more tip:

Practice discipline.

I find myself laying around to try to stay quiet. I haven't showered for a week now, but I just forced myself to wash my hair. I'm afraid hair is the biggest tip-off someone isn't doing well. I don't want my neighbors to see me like this. One of them knocked on my door about an hour ago to check on me, and I wouldn't open the door because I knew my appearance would send him a warning signal.

Mineman,

Do you operate heavy equipment in a mine?

A lady here reported she drove a truck while withdrawing but I wouldn't suggest anyone put other people's lives in danger.

my son is withdrawing

he woke up sick. fever chills, severe diarrhea.  he is withdrawing from hydrocodone, percocet and other opiates. This is day 1. what can we do to get ant relief for him???  It's like he has the flu  bone pains too mostly in back. is shaking and can't be still  pacing back and forth.  help
deep bone pain? Hell Yes... :(
so i was given lortab 10/325, then 10/500 for arthritis in L3, 4, and 5 and L4 vertebrae is shifted (sticking out a bit)...been taking it for a year as prescribed, but then it did nothing for me, so I started taking two 10/500s at a time for up to 5 times in one day...I know, that's alot...then i ran out and went to the doctor...couldnt understand why i was in SO much friggin pain (deep bone pain and could not sit or lay still and couldnt sleep. So the doctor put me on on oxy 10mg twice per day and the withdrawal symptoms are still here and I am so looking forward to not having them anymore...now the bigger quandry is...how do i stop taking this crap all together - i think i would rather live with  the arthritis pain then go thru this crap...
Hi there and welcome! This is an older thread and you might want to start your own so that you get all of the support and answers you need. If you go back out to the main page and hit the 'post a question' link you can ask a question or share your story. More people will be likely to see it. Check out the Thomas Recipe at the bottom of the page. It's full of great supplements that help with detox symptoms. Also, if you are serious about quitting, the one thing that will make or break you is cutting your sources. Whether dealer or doctor, if you still have access to the pills, you will probably breakdown and use them. I wish you the best of luck! Please hang in there and stick around! We want to help you any way we can.
In 1995 I took a bad fall while rock climbing, had emergency back surgery and the whole 9 yards.  I was paralyzed from the waist down for 8 days.  When the feeling came back, so did the pain from the nerve damage, and no matter how good of shape physically I ever get in, the chronic pain from that nerve damage never goes away.  I have walked away from pain meds twice.  It took about 5-6 days for me to feel right again.  My usual dose is 10/500 every 6 hours (4 a day).  If I have  bad day it might increase by a pill or two but nothing approaching some of the amounts I have read here.  What prompted me to post is the gentleman who said the pain meds have enabled him to keep working.  That is the boat I am in.  The reason I end up taking them again is because I can't work the hours I work without them.  It is easy to see the downside to them, I don't dispute that.  The upside however is that I am able to provide for my family with them.  I really don't have an answer except to say that the ethics involved are not black and white.
It has been wonderful and very helpful to read all the comments. I had a L5s1 fusion surgery 10 days ago and now going through withdrawals from taking 7.5 and 10-325 hydrocodon 4 to 6 times a day for the last 2 months. My first day of detox was yesterday at 5am. I began to feel hot/cold flashes and "unwell" in the late afternoon and throughout the night. Headach and sleeplessness followed. Before reading all your entries I started to think I had a migraine and perhaps the beginning of a cold. So at 5am this morning, I gave in and took 1, 500 hyrdo pill and got two hours of sleep. Mid morning I still had the headache so I took Tylenol... And I felt much better. So, I am in day 2 of near detox...going to try cold turkey. I put the pills away and have accepted the fact that I'm going to have a miserable 4-7 days of symptoms  until this stuff is out of my system. Reading all your posts have provided me with 4-7 day outlook - so I hope you're right! I am ready to watch a lot movies for the next several nights to help me through the sleepless nights. I will take Tylenol (responsibly)  for my aches and keep a warm blanket and cool washcloth near the bed for the upcoming night sweats. No fun... But I'm determined to put an end to this dependence and keep the light at the end of the tunnel in focus. By the way, I'm 39, married,  and have a 1 yr. old  and 3 a year old. I am not working this week... My sole focus is to get through this. I have surrounded myself with people who are willing to help with my life's responsibilities. I'm hoping that I have set myself up for success! Stay tunned! Lol! Thanks again everyone for your individual stories. It has helped me out a lot.
I am going on day 6 after quiting cold turkey , I on the other hand started taking 10-500 15 yrs ago for work . 1 a day was the norm !! Then it became 3 & then 6 & then 12 & then 20 ....I have went thru the most difficult last 6 days of my life ... The first three days were pure totture . I almost gave up , I went thru all the normal symptoms , and I have only slept for ten hours in 6 days ... My brain swole and got this crazy migraine headache .... It was day four before I could even eat ... I'm feeling a lot better , but my body so needs some sleep .. Yesterday my body all of a sudden said ur going to sleep ..... I slept 2:10 mins it felt so good I'm so glad it's almost over ! It will not ever happen to me again ... That was hydracodone  btw
Hi there and welcome! This is an old thread. If you go out to the main page and hit the post a question link, you can start your own thread, tell your story, ask questions, etc. That way you can be sure to get all of the responses, support, and encouragement you deserve. Great job on your 6 days clean! Keep up the great work.
Wow! So many stories here! You can learn a lot just from reading all these.. my back hurts..
I have been on Hydro's for 4 months and for the last month been at 7-10 10mg pills per day. My doc and I discussed tapering off with the end goal of 4 per day then quitting cold turkey. My problem is he wrote me a 30 day supply @ 4 per day and due to severe pain I have been taking 8-10 per day for a week. Now I have to taper down faster than planned and have to leave the country for a week right at the end of my script. Does anyone have any suggestions on how much I can cut my use without severe withdrawals?
I had back surgery 6 weeks ago. I've been taking hydro since I left the hospital. I've slowly been decreasing my hydro and I've been fine. Two days ago I did a lot more movement then I should have so I started taking them again every 4 to 6 hours. Now I'm going through the aches and I'm not sure if I have the flu or it's from not taking the pills every couple hours. It's frustrating and I hardly sleep. I wouldn't think that after only 6 weeks my body would become addicted.
I'm trying to get off of hydrocodone. Any advice?
I am 60 yrs old female, been on 7.5 3x day down to 2, your advice sounded the best. been on 3 years had 6 surgeries in 27 months. artificial hip and shoulder deg.disc desiese fusion in neck and severe neurophy in hands but want off this stuff, get from pain clinic and the nerve blocks have really helped but don't want to go cold turkey, scared if I tell pain mgmt. I want off they will just not give me anymore period. so thought I would tell them I want 60 of the 5's then next month 3's then taper off the 3's like you did it. what do you think? Thanks
I'd like who has real answer too write me at      "***@****"       if you would.  Thank you.  I'm a 64 yr old gentleman who was prescribed 112 hydrocodone 7.5/500  every 28 days 1 1/2 years ago for my back, osteo arthritis in my left hand and the same in my knees.  I was prescribed up to 4 pills a day. Never used more then the 4 but did that often. After a year I asked the Dr. to help me get off without a bad feeling.  She started me on clonidine and had me slowly taper down 1/4 pill a week to where I am now. I take 1/2 a pill 2 times daily,morning and night and 1/2 in the afternoon for a total of 1 1/2 hydrocodones per day.
, have been for a month.  Today I started taking just 1/3 a pill in the afternoon.  So I'm taking 1 1/3 per day total.  I think after a week, I'll start the 1/2 morning, 1/3 afternoon and 1/3 evening.  Then another week I'll go to 1/3 pill 3 times a day for a total of 1 pill per day.  At what point should I just quit. Today after the 1st 1/3 in the afternoon, I felt like I had the classic symtons of withdrawal.  Will I have the 5-6 day withdrawal period be on this small amount.  I really want off them and been working on this for 6 months now. I didnt want to tell my Dr yet that I need less now so for months and months, I've had them sent to me thru the VA to where I have like 600 extra pills here.  I need to take them to the police station for disposal but not sure when to do it.  Can someone give me private advice on what my next step should be.  Cant go to a local Dr. I'm too well known and althought the pills are prescribed for a hurt back, theres a stigma in town to some dependency on them.......Help please
I have been on 10/650 for 9 yrs 5 a day sometimes more..we on day 9 daytime is great nightime is STILL TERRIABLE
   THE LEG SHAKING CANT HOLD STILL HURTIN EVERYWHERE.    WILL THIS STOP AND IN HOW LONG
great!
the acetaminophen is whats bad on your liver-500/650...u shouldnt take more than 4000 mls a day..my husband died of cirrhosis of the liver a little over a year ago & he dwindled down day by day.with drinking & taking the pills ,it does effect your liver..thats what has me wanting to quit so bad cause i wouldnt want my son to see me die like that.it was hard enough for him to see his step dad die like that...hang in there,i know its hard !!!but yes it does effect your liver...
Hi everyone!
I'm looking for a little support. I'm addicted to hydrocodone, I've been taking 10/325 for over 4 years easily. I usually take 2 pills every 5 hours, 24/7. I have a very serious case of Crohns disease and fractures + compressions in my lower back. In the last year the docs found a blood clot that is blocking 90% of the right side of my heart. I spent a month in a coma and can now no longer walk and I'm in a wheelchair. My feet ache all the time, we'll find out soon if surgery can restore my ability to walk.
While being gone from home for 9 months in a rehab home I got off the dones but they had me on Fentyal patches. When I came home my family doctor put me back on dones, I did alright with them the 1st 6-7 weeks. But with this last script I took more then prescribed and when I realized what I was doing I decided to stop. I finished the script so there's none in the house. My last pill was Saturday night around 7 pm, it's now Monday around 5:30 pm. I have to admit, I keep thinking if I had just one...one...I'd feel better.
I want to get off these, I know if I don't I'll go back to how I was before and that created a lot of tension in my family. I don't know if I can live without pain meds, but I WILL live without these pain meds. I just need someone to let me know the things I'm going though right now will get better. I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm jerky, can't get comfortable, feel sick, cold one minute and hot the next, I've slept 14 hours at once and now can't sleep at all and don't get me started on the pain. And I believe the RLS (restless leg) is common to everyone gettin' off these.
I'm watching Netflix, playing online games or PS3, reading, anything to try to keep me from thinking bout the pills, turning the house upside down looking for one, or even going to the hospital and hoping that my doc doesn't find out. Does anyone really know how long this will last for someone as doped up as I've been, and what else I can try to keep my mind off it til it passes?
Thanks for at least reading this!
I being taking ten vic a day for almost a year now im trying to stop i took two 5mg today (apart) the monkey is on my back bad.... please i need advice
On day 4 been sleeping and eating ..Did have the ***** was down to 4 5/325 vics a day quit cold turkey with a bottle of 90 in the house!! I don't want them running my life anymore more!!!  Don't feel great but better than I thought it would be ..Ive been taking regular Tylenol and Phenergan and klonipine 0.5 2 times a day ...
@swash30
Idk If you've continued with trying to kick it or if you've gone back to the pills (believe me, I wouldn't blame you at this point) but I hope you got back on the Wagon. My advice is to keep trying. I've been taking anywhere from 6-10 10/500 a day for a long time. The treatment for my cancer started in 2006. The Norco and Percocet started very soon after. Treatment lasted until 2010. I kept taking them until the beginning of the year. Quit for about a month. Now I'm on day three of the second round. I know how hard it is to stick with it. I could make a single call and make all this pain stop. But I'm committed to doing it. The will power is there. We just gotta use it. I hope you stay strong and get clean
I stopped cold turkey 5 days ago from taking 6, 10/325 hydros everyday for the last 4 years.  I am miserable.  I have had horrible diarrhea, no apatite, dehydration, body aches and tremors and Charlie horses in my legs. I had no choice because my doctor said it was too soon to refill.  I'm craving my next pill on Thursday to stop the symptoms.  I want to stop all together but I'm so sick I don't think I can go thru this again.  I'm lost and don't know what to do.  If withdrawals are only supposed to last 4-7 days that's not been true for me. I hope to get thru this soon.
Just a short update on how things are. Not that anyone really replied but I figured that maybe someone coming here looking for help would run across this post and not lose hope.

My last pill was Nov 2nd. I have *and still have* times where I wanted one so bad I would've lied, cheated, and stole for them. My situation with my health made it hard to go to the street for them, yet almost easier to go to an ER room to get the fix. I went through 10 days of what seemed to be a really bad flu. Shakes, jerks, stiffness, vomiting, no desire to eat, going 16-20 hours without sleep and then only getting 2-3 hours worth, moodiness, panic, headaches, fevers, chills, racing thoughts. I was pretty sure I was dying.

My caretaker *who is clueless to my situation, she just comes around to make sure I haven't fallen or such* called the doc and said I had a bad flu and couldn't keep anything down. He said I could come into the ER and get everything with IV's, including pain meds. I almost went and sat on the idea for 3 days, thankfully I talked myself out of it and stuck it out.

Now I've gone 3 weeks without a pain pill, I'll sometimes take 2 500mg Tylenol up to 2 times a day when I can't take it. I won't lie, I still want the "good" stuff. I still haven't gone a whole day without craving one. I still have a horrible time sleeping and at times pain so bad that I almost cry, and the jerks outta nowhere still come and go some. But it really did start getting better for me around day 12. When I really want a pill I give myself a pep talk, tell myself that what I'm doing is good for me. Because of my disease I've been on some form of pain pills for 18 years. I've never been off of them, and I can't help but wonder at times if certain things wrong with me wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been on these pills.

I inspire myself with the thought of my body getting a break from all the bad things that these type of pills will do to your mind and body. I think about the straight edge lifestyle and how I've always admired it and how if I can get through this I can become something I've always wanted to be a part of. For me, those thoughts work. (BTW, straight edge is no drinking, no smoking, and no abuse of drugs. You can take prescription drugs, as long as you don't abuse them, which I was starting to do.)

Anyways, for those still reading and thinking it's the end of the world for them right now. It's not. It Will Get Better. BUT. It won't be easy. Find something to do when the urges get bad, you have to keep your mind busy so you don't dwell on it. That can be the down fall. I hope everyone can find their own way through this. It's gonna be a battle for every single day, don't focus on the long term, focus on just getting through today and worry about tomorrow when it comes.
Congrats, Thankx for the update. I am glad to here there is life after pills. I dont remember what my life was like before taking pp. I have been take lortabs for 12 years straight. The dr's just keep giving them to me. I am 42 hours into withdrawals. Thank God for Gabapentin-Neurontin.  I have been eating,  a little sweats,rls, and achy but I really dont feel bad. I thank God for that. This is my 2 x going though withdrawls. I made to 3 days last time and went out and found some. I have a rx for them but taking 7.5 lortabs  for  12 years wasnt doing it for me so I would take more and I am out. I know I am addicted. I will beg people not to take pp (pain pills) when I see them taking them. I would tell them my story and how they rule your life. No one EVER saw me mess up on them. I keep taking them to get though the day and life.  My kids and family know I am addicted . I have never hide it from them. As I read other stories on here, I have HOPE. I just pray the rest of the days go this good. I dont have no suppost really. I am praying for ALL of us addicts.  
Just be glad it's not to the point where you need suboxone. I've been on suboxone for 5 years now for what started out as hydrocodone addiction.  Believe me when I say suboxone is VERY hard to come off of if you've been on it over 2 months.
sub & methadone are just replacements for the pp's.i tried methadone & i was addicted to that too.they kept upping my dose.it's ALL about the money with these dang dr's..they know you will get addicted & they keep you coming back for more.
The problem I've come across with doctors is they don't agree with themselves. I've gone to doctors over my concern about taking these pills. I ran into 2 types, the 1st type is the doc that says to me "I'm taking you off ALL pain meds, the pills and the steroids. I'm not putting you anything to help with withdraws, you'll have to get through that yourself. You're an addict." Ok, yeah, I'm an addict BUT there's differences in addicts. They tend to treat you like you're out there doing something like Meth, sellin' it to lil kids, cookin' it up at home, and that you're the scum of the earth when in fact, you started these pills because they gave them to you so you could live life day to day because you have a disease or injury that causes such pain that there's days you can't even shower.

Then the 2nd type of doc is the ones that you explain it all to and they tell you "Listen, you have a serious, life long *in my case* illness that is never going to improve. This disease causes a lot of pain and without help I just don't see how you'll cope." I think GREAT! Yay! They're gonna help me, so doc what different pill will I be taking? Cuz it's clear I have to stop these and maybe if I take something different I won't be addicted to them, or it'll take me awhile to become addicted and when that happens I can go onto something else. It's not a perfect plan but it's better than this. And then I realize the doc is talking and they hand me yet another script of these same f'ing pills and send me on my way.

If you're like me, you're pissed. You fill the script a couple days later that says "take 2" and you're in so much pain from not taking them the last 3-4 days cuz you were too pissed off to go fill them that you pop 3-4 to take care of the pain and you're in the same damn cycle again.

When people find out you're an addict they treat you like pond scum. To them, it doesn't matter that it's a prescription pain pill and that you have a legit reason for needing them. They treat you like you're shooting up in the dirty bathroom at Denny's. And they act like you do it for just the high, to escape life and any problems that life gives to everyone. That's not why, people on these prescription pills take them because there is a real pain and after awhile the body demands high dosages to take care of the same pain because the brain blocks the pills effectiveness. And then you mentally become dependent on the pill because your brain tells you that if you don't take the pill you'll hurt, and that's because the pill has a chemical that helps block the message from the brain to the site of the pain. It's a nasty lil circle that never ends. And people who haven't been there are close minded and don't understand.

But seriously, the medical personal tries to help with first putting you on these pills and then they turn into your dealer. I don't think they keep you on the pills to be evil, they just don't know what or they don't want to put in the time to help you get past what they've started in you. It's f'ed up but that's life anymore. At least everyone here realizes this, and realize they aren't scum because they need help with pain. And after meeting failure upon failure, they are willing to do something about their situation. We may fail and have to start over again. But at least we're doing something instead of just become another stat for the world to hear on the nightly news.
I have been on 10/325mg hydrocodone for almost 10 years.  The prescribed dose is one every 6 hours (4 pills a day).  I have taken as many as 20 a day.  I usually run out of my prescription of 120 pills within a week and then have to either find some or go through withdrawal, which I am doing right now.  I haven't had anything for 4 days and as I am feeling a little better, I still feel sick and tired.  I get a refill in three days which seems like an eternity.  I keep telling myself if I feel completely better before I get my refill, I won't fill it.  Am I kidding myself?  I want desperately to stop taking pills and get my life back.  How do I do that?  It seems that everyone on here has stopped....what is your secret?  I am so desperate to have my life back.
Hi there and welcome! This is a really old thread that you are posting on. If you go up to the 'post a question' link at the top of the page you can start your own thread. You will get more support and advice that way. You are definitely in the right place if you are wanting to quit for good. This community is full of support, advice, and encouragement. Now, I have one big piece of advice for you. If you are serious about quitting you MUST cut your sources. That means calling your doctor and pharmacy and admitting that you are an addict. Scary, right? It must be done or you will be there to pick that script up in 3 days and it will be onto another month of this merry-go-round. You and I both know it. You also need to cut your ties with your dealers/friends that you are buying the Hydrocodone from. Delete their numbers. Tell them not to contact you. Cold hard truth time here...if you don't do this, you won't be successful in quitting. It's scary, but if you are serious about quitting, there is no need for 'back up plans'. You can do this! You've already made it through 4 days and the worst of the physical part. Now the mental battle begins and your addict brain will tell you any lie that it can to get you to continue to use. There are always a million reasons to quit, but it only takes one silly excuse to continue using. Please stick around here and keep posting. We are here for you and want to help you through this. Take care of yourself and please keep your head up.
Jumping I here!  I'm 63 years old but really in my 20 s in my head.  I've been addictied to sooo many things over my lifetime and just want to let y'all know how much help this threading is....so ok, not hard to figure out, hmmmm... "She's 63 and been an addict all of her life hey?"  Well that's where it is.. For real..first was darvocet, then  Valium then zanax....hey remember I'm a 60's girl here! That's when all these drugs started!  So...point is........

YOU CAN Quit TAKING THEM with help (of any kind) but remember, if you have an addiction "problem" it's NOT YOUR FAULT! Mine so happens to be genetic (both sides)

TO end up ....here...I go again....withdrawaling from hydros (3to 5/d) ....it's been 48 hrs and All the symptons mentioned are TRUE. And can be different for everyone and every time! And of course it doesn't help if you are really in some sort of pain.  justo have to be STRONGER than anyone or any body!  Just had my 3 rd grandson and NOW GOING TO END THIS D*****Addiction!

This forum is great ....thanks for the support and listening!

Hangin in there...another Txn!!
Welcome to the forum!  Glad you found us and posted.  This thread is a common one found on a google or bing search....and it is was started back in July 2012....not but about 3 or 4 people that posted on this thread are even still around.

It'd be great to have to start your own thread and share your recovery journey with us.  Just go to the top and find the orange post a question tab and start your own thread.  You will get lots of support and encouragement from others CURRENTLY participating on the forum.

Hope to hear more from  you....we're here to help and listen~
Wow!! I am so glad I came across this!! I am on day 4 of a seven year addiction. I have been on Lortab or hydrocodone for several injurys. I finally could no longer take it anymore and have decided to stop. The first few days have been hard, but I am still living. Today is a little easier, but the sickness I feel is so miserable. Thinking of it as a flu just really helps me because I know I will get over it.
One thing that really helps me is work. I HAVE to keep my mind busy. It is so much harder at home, especially bed time. (Which is almost non existant). I have had RLS forever, so I am ussed to that, but it is just my mind constantly going and not knowing what to do with myself. I know that in the future, I will feel so much better, I just want to now.
The emotional roller coaster is difficult. I just either want to cry or im content. I thnk that is the hardest part.... the not feeling like "me". Who am I kidding, it is all hard... but I am going through with this and I know it will get better.

Thank you,
did anyone have head ache that lasted days
I had bad headaches!! I am on day 8 now, and I had bad head aches that lasted for about 4 days!! I finally feel a lot better now.
Be careful I tried CT off 10/500's hydros I've been on for 15 years and still kept waking up so I took another valium 10 and another thinking for sure the muscle spasms would stop and I'd pass back out and would wake up within minutes...I never took valiums like that but they had been given to me for stress  But I ended up in a blackout stuper that landed me in the hospital and when I woke up 3 days later I was back on them thanks to the hospital. I didn't realize how many I had taken I just wanted to go to sleep and ride it out.  There just is no easy way out of this I'm trying to learn about natural meds so I can try this again but more prepared.  Good Luck
God Bless,
Mamaw in Pain
Getting ready to dump my hydrocone taking 8 or so a day at 7.5 had surgery last june and still in some back pain but I'm loosing control of usage if I ever had it. Looks like cold turkey is the way to go as I have ruled out rehab unless I just can't make it.  Never bought off the street and I can't see myself trying to figure out now to do that   I can't get another script from the doctor after I dump these.  Scared but ready
Hi there and welcome to the forum! This is an older thread that you are posting on. If you scroll to the top of the page and hit the 'post a question' link you can start your own thread to tell your story. More people will be likely to see it, respond, and offer support. Congratulations on making the decision to dump the pills and change your life! Please stick around here, it's a wonderful place for support, advice, and encouragement. Good luck to you!
I've had my prob for a year now and larger doses but other than that,  I'm in your same position.  Trying cold turkey, last dose Thursday and can't even get myself out of bed Saturday.  Friday was bad but took xanax and by 9pm went into fitful leg moving half sleep.  Just praying for all of us that it gets better soon.  If it's really only a bad 7 days I know I can DO THIS
AMEN
  I , too, like you was taking about 4 10/325 a day per my doctor for several years . I wish that they ( the bottle or the doctor ) would have told me that it would lead to addiction. Not maybe but definitely lead to addiction or medically dependent as my doctor insisted on calling it. Now in day 3 of quitting I am without sleep and my lower back is starting to ache. I have this thing that keeps telling me its time to take a pill happening and I assume it is because I have taken them for years . Worse part is the lack of energy that I have . I came here today looking to see if anyone can tell me how long this is going to last and if I will ever get back to normal especially since I am in my senior years .  I guess I really need some encouragement as either way I am going to be in pain with or without the meds. I am wondering how you made out .. I hope that you receive this as I see that it has been awhile since you posted. Thank you so much .
Love You All, I was great happy to have my prescription refilled just today 60 tabs. But after reading all these comments I am going to stop right now after 19 months...7 a day. I took a pill an hour ago, I am going to through 59 yellow 10 mg in to sink right now.

I will update u to tomorrow night...

20 hours without yellow, just trusting on my ability......
Hello ahkh I just wanted to let you know this is an old thread if you go to the top of this page and hit the post a question button you can start your own thread and you will get more support. Congratulations on taking your life back and great job on dumping the pills! :)
Hi and Thanks For Support, this is my second day, I had to call sick, I have a lot of pain... I hope I can make to work tomorrow...
Honestly, going from 7 to 0 is really hard, but I am making it.....drinking a lot of cranberry juice ........
I think you went to fast. I was taking 10 mg 4 to 5 times a day for 6 years. The last doctor I went to just wanted to add more psych medicine. I finally started weaning myself off. I would substitute a 5 for a 10 for a week. Then another 5 for a 10. Eventually I was taking 5 mg 4 times a day. I then started cutting the 5 in half and went through the same process with 2.5 mg. Then 1.25  I now am almost off the meds. The only thing I now have is a terrible taste in my mouth. I wonder if others have that ?  
I am confused. Is it better to taper off hydro or go cold turkey.
Thanks much...Vee
Don't do it! If you think hydrocodone withdrawal is bad, wait until you try to get off of xanax! I did the same thing you did. I was on Norco 10/500 4 or 5 times a day as prescribed. I never took more than that, but I lost all interest in life. After a few months of deep depression, I wanted to get off of it, but I had the same WD's that you did. The same doctor had given me xanax for my panic attacks, but I never liked them, so I hadn't taken them. I certainly never thought I could get addicted to them. To take the edge off the Norco WD, I started taking small doses--not even as much as prescribed. But guess what? Now I am dependent on xanax and Norco. Hydrocodone WD is fairly quick, but xanax WD takes much longer. There is a risk of seizure with any benzo WD (like xanax) It is more like alcohol withdrawal, which, contrary to popular belief, kills more people than opiate withdrawal! It is not only a more dangerous WD process, but it takes much longer. Substituting xanax for hydrocodone is a BAD idea. There are other drugs and natural herbs that will help you get through those few days of WD without setting you up for a longer stay in hell. Please look at those alternatives first, and spare yourself prolonged agony. I write from experience.
I have been taking 6 norco (10-325) per day for over 3 years.  I started out only 3 per day, 7 years ago.  I have'nt had one for 6 hours and already feeling bad.  I need help.  Don't have resourses for detox facility and to be honest, I'm scared of withdrawals, but I am determined to get these out of my system...I think they are ruining my life.  I am scared of the pain (the reason for them to begin with) and scared of the withdrawals.  Any help here?  Thank you.
Hi Deb and welcome. You came to the right place for support. But this is an old post and it may get lost and return to archives. Please go to the top of this page and hit the orange Post A Question button. Follow the instructions from there. This way you will start your own thread and we can get to know you and support you. If you need any help just ask. Hope to see you out there.
TY!
Hang in there, take immodium for the the diahrea, magnesium pills for the legs cramps, over the counter sleep aids for sleep, drink lots of water and force yourself to eat regular small meals. i am almost 56 and I was injured early in my AF career so I have been on various forms of pain meds the majority of my adult life. I have gotten clean cold turkey in the 90s, hell, but survivable. I am going through it again right now and it is still hell. The hard part is what to do...Gotta see it through. Was on meds for neuropathy pain and back, neck, repalced knees but I always felt dumbed down, spacey - so i got off those. Went back on hydro 6 500s a day prescribed. Then after several years started hedging the bed ocassionally on or two a day.  That's what happens because you don't continue to get the same level of relief. Your body gets used to it and it has to have a higher dose to get the same relief, or the same high. Doesn't really matter to your body that you were taking for real physical pain. Its all the same to your body.The struggle is finding a balance between genuinely needing pain relief to have a level of quality of life and not be so  under the meds that you aren't you and getting the best out of life and relationships. I started cutting doses four days ago to two doses a day then two days ago only had one and a half each day. nothing today and it is hell. I have none to take and my script will be here Tues. By then i will have been through the worst of it and hope to God to help me take it to my Dr. and get on something different. I wish you the best and all of us the best life God has for us. Drugs is definitely not it. I have lost out on so much during my life because of them.
Ive been on pain meds for around 3 0r 4 yrs now. I suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life. Im buying 300 to 400$$ a week. TABS,PERCS/ WHATEVER. I just love the feeling. Im trying to quit. I just felt like they where the only thing that made me feel normal. Like I said ive always had severe anxiety/ depression. I remember times meeting people in the store that I knew well,maybe went to highschool with etc. I would try to get away or try to act like I didn't recognize them to keep from talking to them! The tabs or percs whatever I would take them and feel happy and normal. Even go outta my way to talk to people. I love em what can I say I gotta quit. Gotta wife baby boy and a little girl on the way. I have to quit. I bought 25 Norco 10's last week.. That's 250$ that lasted 2 days. Im on day two right now. having a very hard time but seem to be feeling some better already. The worst so far for me was Around 24 to 36 hrs without any. Hope we all beat these stupid things. There controlling our lives.
My daughter is going through withdrawals from hydro-morph and  dilates not sure that is correct spelling. About 2 hydos 12s  a day and 4 dilates 4s a day for the last 6 months,Two years ago she was addicted to Oxycontin 80s for about 2 yrs .
With the help methadone she got away from oxys,  she just finished one week of methadone 30ml to help her withdrawals form the hydro, Not taking anything now. How long before she starts to feel better she is so sick and so sore, restless legs  all day and night.
I have been on hydro/apap 10/325 4 tabs for almost 3 years. They have made me withdrawn from doing the things I enjoy and taken all of my energy away. I use them with non narcotic patches, gel and ointment prescribed also prescribed for pain relief. Hydrocodone made me crave smoking too. I started becoming concerned about my feeling anxious, depressed, irritability. developing GI reflux, developing DEEP MUSCLE PAIN in my right butt cheek down the back of my leg. There where times when I experienced vision changes, sob, and just an overall feeling of tiredness and fatigue every day. I recently got a refill of #120 tabs and flushed the entire contents. I am on day 4 of CT and never plan to look back again. I think this is mind over matter. I have been very lucky with only experiencing annoying coughing and choking the first 2 nights with insomnia. I have some robitussin dm to help with that and sleepy time tea. For the runny nose I use my Flonase nasal spray and take a Claritin tablet. If I get anxious I will take a Xanax if needed. So far my faith has helped me and reading these posts. I'm feeling more like myself every day. I have not had the desire to smoke at all. The pills made me crave a smoke. It's a sick vicious demon but if you want to live a healthy life you have to let go now. I'm off work for 9 days and this is what I planned to do. I'm at home, resting, and getting caught up on many things. Too many people do not have a choice to be ill. I realized I was heading in the wrong direction and turned myself around. I am grateful for what the Lord has blessed me with in life and I want to continue to receive more. My family and my friends would be very hurt if I went in another direction. I'm doing this for me first and the ones who have helped me become that person I am.
I have been on lortab 10/325 for 3 years I was up to 10 a day maybe more. I am not really sure how it happened. I don't drink I only smoked pot 3 times when I was in high school and didn't like it, but lortabs I love (and hate). I have a 3 year old son and a 4 year old daughter and I am a stay at home mom. I quit before and told everyone I had a problem most people didn't even know not even my husband that was a year ago and I only lasted two weeks. When I started again I didn't let anyone know except my brother who also has a problem. Three days ago I was done to my last 6 pills so I took 3 pills for two days and I already started to go through wd. This morning my brother came by and gave me herbal pain pills that he bought online. I took 2 right away my wd somewhat stopped I didn't get that high feeling but  all the wd feelings went away and I got my energy back. I want to know if someone else has taken them before and are they ok to take? Thanks
i have no exp with herbal pain pills nor can we say if there good or bad this site is for quitting  not for giving advice on how to be a better addict.....this is a old post you will have better luck starting a new thread ...but be careful on askin questions about using and how to use most of us are clean or trying to get clean some ppl have been clean for decades other have joined today like you i hope u choose 2 get clean again if not for yourself then for your 2 lil kids and your hubby...your brother as nice as he is for helpin you not be sick is enabling your addiction.....stay strong no better time then now 2 get clean right !!!
thank you guys for being here
I have been on Norcos for 2 years got up to 3  , 3 times a day I have taken it down to 1 1/2  2 times a day as of today should I go down farther ? I have pain but I am afraid it will be like before no sleep and craziness,  what do you think?
wow ! all of you, after reading more I have a great hope to completely get off of it all , but I will go lower before I get off completely I guess I am a wuss, one post said get down to 1/2  3 times a day and should be easier, I am self employed and cant afford to just take vacation, I do feel better reducing them already though , I feel like there is hope and freedom is at hand, once again thinks to all for posting, I will keep trying I promise
I'm a retired cop from TX, and I used to bust folks who had unscripted hydros in possession. Then, I had surgeries and was given 10/500s. I've been using them for 10yrs with decreasing effectiveness; they just don't work anymore. So, I decided with my doc to taper and quit. Not bad, except the arm pain, deep shoulder pain that doesn't quit. I haven't had hydro for 10 days, but nothing touches the pain. I can't take aspirin or any NSAID because I'm on blood thinner, but I will not go back to any opiate. I have a new appreciation for addiction, and I sure didn't think I was addicted, but I now know that I was (am). But no more. I'm retired and married 49 yrs, and I don't want to mess up what quality time I have left. I didn't know this site existed, but found it at 4AM today because I couldn't sleep with the pain and RLS. I glad to hear so many refusing to return to the pill.  I'm with you.
Why dont Dr,s tell you , warn you, put you on a schedule when prescribing opiates like Hydrocodone? I took them from Jan16- March 30. Had surgey on March 26 and shortly after my body started to reject the hydro.Now Im having the worst time of my life trying to recover from Cervical Spinal surgery and go through withdrawals and keep my **** together so my 3 yr old doesnt hink daddy is whack job! Im day 3 and feeling tired, nervous, blood pressure meds arent working well my sweating is less than desirable and stomach is cramping, im drpressed and trying to not cry and no matter what i do i cant get more that 4 hours of sleep!!!!!

Had i known prior to taking these drugs that this is what will happen i would have never taken them!!
Dr's need to take the drugs before prescribing what they do.
I was given 180 pills a month of Hydrocodone. Yes my pain was bad but was there an alternative? why is there no education before we undergo such trauma?

I hope this will be over soon, i feel like im missing out on my childrens lives cuz I feel like a junkie!
So much for medical Marijuana like i asked for " oh we dont belive in that" they said. ******** you dont get kickbacks for it !!
thanks scot, injured & 2 surgeries. took hydros for over a year. my dr.cold turkeyed me & and I had diareha,vomiting, & and went into kidney failure. dehydration was cause ,because of too much fluid loss. the emergency dr.put me on low dose taper hydros. & and I am glad to be alive. all you tough guys be careful. sometimes slow reduction may save your life. day 4, and I feel better than cold turkey.
Hey Brother' that pounding your feeling is very common, coming off this ****..I bet sometimes while ur laying in bed, ur heart feels like its gonna beat out of ur chest. It's just part of the withdrawal.There's so many different things we feel ..coming off it';s crazy. The amazing thing is ur working' that is a good thing..takes ur mind off of it a bit.Your doing it the right way..tapering  urself off of it.Try and eat as much fresh veggies as possible..not sure if you had the ***** or not, since ur doing a taper.One of the most annoying things is the restless lrg or whole body shaking thing..that to passes.This whole thing is natures way of reminding us...don't use this **** again!..Good Luck Man!
I was on 325/7.5s for 7 years, 5x a day. I was trying to hold off as long as possible on a knee replacement, as I only wanted to do it once.My doctor told me  
1) you WILL get addicted, period.
2) when the time comes, we will make a plan to get you off of it.
3) I signed a pain  contract, saying I would only get it from them and only take what I was given according to directions.
4) I only got 140 a month, so they had to last 28 days
5) NOT to go cold turkey as the shock to the system could affect heart and liver function, and make successfully getting off of them more difficult.

I had the surgery, and 3 months after, at the completion of physical therapy, I told the doc I was ready to get off of them. He prescribed 70 pills, and tapered me off by 10% a week- 4 for 7 days, then 3 for 7 days, then 2 for 7 days, a then one, and I was done. It was still rough- not mentally, but I experienced symptoms of diarrhea, restless leg, a squeezing feeling in the chest, anxiety, and so on- but after 5 days, it was mostly gone, though at 21 days now I still wake up at 4 AM and can't sleep, sometimes I can feel my clothes crawling on my skin and I feel twitchy- but this too shall pass. I already sleep better than I did (ironically, opioids make you drowsy but don't allow you to enter into deep sleep, making you tired all the time). My appetite is back I have a better outlook on life, and I'm not the short tempered "angry man" like I used to be.  Best of all, life doesn't revolve around my drugs anymore.I don't have to schedule vacations around when I can get my scrip,  or get halfway to somewhere and have to turn around because I forgot my drugs.  
My doctor recently
hi I hope as is going well for you,..I have to tell you I feel for you, My life is upside down and i want to just give in but then I know how this works.. THERE IS NO WIN.As a nurse I know better than this, but just remember this can happen to anyonebut you can do this. your family is worth it all.. keep fighting!!! im praying for you
I’m retired military, 31 years service. Married 49 years. Three grown children, seven grand children. I am just tired of living on medications I don’t need.  I don’t even know if I can function on my own because I’ve been on pain medicine to long. I have been taking Hydrocodone  for 14 years. I got hooked after taking this medication for three months in the combat zone. I was started on this pain medicine after getting hurt from having my Armored APC 113 blown up in battle. I know I’m well from the injuries or, at lease, well enough to end Hydrocodone. I discovered that I could work longer, harder, and march on longer combat patrols when I used pain medicine, so I continued to keep an active prescription. Now I’m ready to give it up for good! I am in day 2 of  cold turkey. I put the pills away, and I’m ready for battle. Thanks to all your posts. They have provided me with 7+ days of will- power! I’m feeling anxious, depressed, irritability, muscle pain in my lower back and both of my legs. I have an overall feeling of tiredness and fatigue all day. My whole body feels achy. I’m walking slower due to low energy and tiredness. My shoulder and neck pain are giving me hell. I am taking Methocarbamol 750mg, 1 tablet 3x daily for my aches. I ‘m taking 1 Ibuprofen 800mg at bed time for pain and inflammation. I take a dose of ZzzQuil to get to sleep at night. PLEASE HELP ME! I'm determined to put an end to this dependence. I still have 120 pills left. Should I be tapering instead of cold turkey? I feel like crap. I feel afraid to trash my Hydro pills. I wanted to just take one more to get thru these aches a bit better. But I didn’t. Anybody; send me some advice and a few words of “hang in there.” Thanks. sgme9.
Thanks....I still am have cravings after a week. Hope they go away.
Take generic Imodium (immodium) generic tagament and robitussin cough pills
http://m.wikihow.com/Endure-Acute-Withdrawal-from-Opiates-%28Narcotics%29
The best way to get off hydrocodone addiction or quit taking them is to taper !
i got addicted thinking i can work longer and get more accomplished but the truth is its all part of the drug and in your mind you can do just as much if not more with out hydros. this is a strong drug and should be used for pain only and for no further use if you do then sooner or later you will have problems with addiction and become dependent on these. I was addicted for a 1 year and a half was taking 3-4 a day and came to the point were i was dependent on these todo anything. So i started to taper 3 for 3 days 2 for 4 days 1 for 4 days then down to a half for 7 days after that i only had 5 left so i started went 2 days with out them and felt the minor symptoms decided to go anthore 5 days on half a pill a day and quit again i knew what to expect this time just minor flu symptoms after day 4 i felt back to normal   so the best way is to taper for a month  or make your own plan and stick with it it is just will power the less you take the less your withdrawals will be. after being off for a week i fell renewed more clearly thinking good energy better health once you get to this point you will say what was i thinking getting addicted to those and will not wanna go back. Stay positive i prayed to god to help me he guided me so pray for it and he will get you through it and don't forget who was there for you when you get back to normal. Good luck to those headed in this direction and let god be with you. O and protein shakes help when you don't fell like eating and make you fell better. come back and read these post when you get the craving and during your withdrawal it help me!
WAS A HELPFUL LINK..WISH ME LUCK IM GOING COLD TURKY TOMMARROW!!!!
I'm a disabled Veteran and the VA had me on 8 hydrocodone 10/325 a day for 6 years. Hydrocodone and other opiates for some reason make me hyper. In the past six years they have put me on Oxycodone, Fentynal Patches and Morphin because my body got used to the Hydrocodone and then switched me back to hydrocodone.
I think everyone at one time or another want to quit this horrible drug because the withdraws are pure Hell! My time came when my prescription came to me two days late. I tried to contact anyone I knew who had Hydrocodone to no avail. I knew then my problem was really bad especially because I always found myself taking more than 8 a day.
So, that was my rock bottom and I went cold turkey off of them. Today is day 41 off of Hydrocodone. I can agree that the first week is pure Hell but if you are dedicated you can do it.
My withdraw effects were nausea especially in the morning, body aches everywhere such as my torn tendons in left shoulder and separated right shoulder along with my upper and lower back...The Hydrocodone just masked my problems for so long that when I came off I could barely move my body at all. Sleepless nights but since being off the hydrocodone its better than having those horrible withdraws every single morning before the hydrocodone kicked in.
Everyone out there trying to quit, you can do it. It's tough, it ***** but, can be done!
I am and it is horrible. I feel like im going crazy. it hurts so bad.
I live in a home with my BF and he was prescribed 10/325 Hydrocodones because he is prescribed other medications that can't be taken with ibuprophen or other anti-inflammatory medicines.  I have taken them before for sports injuries and surgeries I had in the past.  With having access to these pills for basically free, it wasn't hard to take one here and there for residual back pain and other ailments.  This began about 2 years ago.  At first I was only taking them every few weeks or so, but over time I found that they woke me up, gave me motivation to do things, and masked my pains (Most of which I could easily remidy with exercize, but laziness gets the best of me).  Over the last year I went from taking one every few weeks to taking 3-4 a day.  I realized that when we got a 60 pill prescription filled, I would have the bottle reduced by 1/2 within about 2 weeks.  I'm aware now that I have issues with these pills, and have started to not take them anymore.  I have taken them consistently (at least 2 a day) for about 6 months now.  It is now 48 hours since I took the last pills and let me tell you the worst thing for me is the depression.  I feel completely worthless, like every decision I have ever made is leading me down a road to nothing but sorrow.  I'm sure part of this is due to my mother's health, which has recently taken a turn for the worse, as well as a bunch of other life situations that have sprung up which have been hard to deal with.  The desire to continue to medicate and numb the depression is greater today than I was expecting.  I knew the side effects of these drugs were strong, as I have had MANY friends who have dealt with the addiction, but wasn't prepared for how strong the depression has been for me.  I feel like I am in a constant state of hearing bad news... where your heart constantly feels empty and is skipping a beat, and doesn't let up.  I know this will go away, but it is making things very difficult to deal with.  I found myself avoiding anyone and everyone I knew yesterday (even my 3 dogs and 2 cats) because my anger was so temperamental and I wasn't able to control my reactions.  I started to think I was just hitting rock bottom emotionally, but then realized that I was also quitting these damn pills and was likely having a reaction to not being on them.  Thank god for these comments, or I would have likely gone home and taken a couple just to east the symptoms.  I am going to be strong and continue on and push through this BS and hopefully regain my control over my own life.  I really hope that everyone here is making progress with kicking this ****.  You always say you won't be the one to get addicted until it is too late.  Well, it is too late now to avoid the addiction.  The only thing I can do now is to push on and try to stay positive.   Here is to the fighters!  Keep going and keep connecting to others who can help.    
I'm interested to know if this really worked for you. I've been on hydros for over 2 years and finally had surgery and of course the dose went up for the last month. Now it's time to quit and I'm wondering if tapering wouldn't be better than going cold turkey?
From experience I use xanax on occasion for anxiety..However decades ago I was prescribed xanax for back pain (go figure) Short term is not a problem..maybe 3-4 weeks max..preferably less..however beware of long term use..I was on purple pill (1mg that is the strongest)  3x aday..They also come in .25 mg white pill...50 mg  peach colored pill..When I decided to quit I thought I could just stopping taking them..I kept getting sick and vomiting e/d with severe headache and did not know why..I finally realized what was happening to me..I had to take off work for 4 days..my skin felt as if I wanted to crawl out of it..along with jerky legs..The dr never told me how addicting they were..I was on them for several years..they are very effective for short term ailments..and give relief from withdrawal of other meds..At least they were for me..hope this beneficial..to someone...