Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How long does it take to detox of Vicodin?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 201-275 comments:
congrads on your strenth u have inspired me tottally love ya
I have been
Doing more the
Vicodin. When I do it's at least twelve
To fifteen in one time. Then
The cordicidne and
Sleeping pills plus
Norcos. It ***** I have been doing it for
Eight years I
Love it and don't know I I wana quit. Now I got vertigo and I have to
Stop. And
I am depressed and emotional. No throwing up. A few years
Back when I was 13 I did  go through withdraws cold sweats throwing
Up. Now I can't quiet crying
ANC
Depressex
I posted on Dec 13 when I had just gotten into the "Thomas Recipe" concerning my hydrocodone addiction. At that time I was two weeks into it and had gone down to 2 a day. I was taking the suggested vitamins 3 times daily (go heavy on the L tyrosine) and it is now a month later and I am down to 1/2 a pill a day with no discomfort whatsoever and willentirely next week.

There was actually very little/no discomfort the whole time and if I needed a half a pill or 1/4 of one, I took it. Your body will do the rest and the need will ebb away.

This really worked for me and I hope it might help you. God Bless
i started taking vicodin when i was 17. i didnt even know what it was when my mother started giving them to me for severe headaches i was having due to stress. i just knew they made me feel great as if my problems did not exist besides the fun of the high. eventually i started asking my grandmother for her norcos. by the time i turned 18 i was taking 4-5 a day getting them from whoever had them, making sure i had them for all times of the day, mainly for school so it would seem less unbearable. eventually i dropped out and found a job. Things got worse when i started making money because then i could buy them and get even more since usually no one turns down money. now im 19 and taking 5-6 a day. my whole family has a prescription for the highest mgs. of vicodin so you can imagine the collection i have. i want to quit but i feel like i would never be able to function normally without my pills. i cant stand people or situations without them. i went to a mental health clinic where i used to get varieties of anxiety medication to see if they would prescribe them to me again only to be thrown into the mental ward for my PAST record of depression and thoughts of suicide. As you can imagine that traumatized me enough to avoid going to places like that ever again after spending just one night in the hospital. After the ordeal i found myself having a whole family with a history of past drug addictions of heroine, cocaine, alcoholism, etc.. it seems i will never get the healthy support and help i need. just more pills. i realize if i really want to stop i will have to do it myself with the strong will to slow myself down eventually to zero pills/day.
Never go cold turkey everybody is diferent. i am on my first day without no vics. 15 a day over 1yr used. i am not feeling anything yet but legs feel tired and like a small flue. but i tappered off and started using multivitimins 3 days before stoping.. we will see how day too goes. But the biggest thing is preparing your brain for whats coming. what day is the hardest because till now completing day 1 was dueable.
im up late so nervous of this withdrawal i am about to experience!! its only been a couple hours since i last took a vicodin but im already starting to get the shakes and feel very anxious but im reading all these stories and the are giving me some hope.Im 28 years old and right now i am the main back bone of my family,i have a 4 year old daughter a wonderful fiancee and a child on the way,every reason in the world to quit right here but i keep taking them!! i need help i know this ive been through hell in my life but the jittery legs the withdrawal gives me is intense and i get so mad and irritable and i feel so horrible because i take it out on my amazing fiancee...i dont have the money to go buy all the vitamins as people say to do and im thinking about maybe going to a detox but then i lose more money!! ive got myself into such a situation here and i just dont know what to do its gonna be a very tough ride but i know i can do it im just so afraid of the pain
Hey dude tmbrace the pain its only a few days and it is the end to this horable ride you ron now this will kill you then what 2 orphans and a crushed wife its time to get over this thing look at it like having the flu I tell everybody .....you just got to be ok without being ok for a wile....attitude is everything here so keep a positive attitude it will make the difference between suffering or discomfort no go run yourself a bath and relax in it let the symptoms be what they will be you will get threw it good luck and God be with you........Gnarly  
Dude im with you, m y last 10/325 was almost 29 hours ago, so far i have the RLS, (wich after reading about, i think i have had for like EVER, ive never been able to sit still, was diagnosed ADHD as a child, methalapneldate (gen ritalin worked, went thru a placebo test) and have rocked like ina chair since atleast 10years old... ill be 33 in 2 weeks.  I think thats what ive done to deal with RLS with out knowing........ sorry i digress, i started 3 years ago and was taking no more than 3 a day (10/325 or 500) and as i said, i have the RLS, im feeling the flu symptons and am gonna try to crash soon but dontknow.  I did go buy vitamins, melintonin, and got some whey protein as well.  hopefully the melintonin works and i can get some rest cuz im exhausted, but i need to get thru this as you do too man and if you wanna talk just hit me up
Im not gonna say it doesnt suck but just look at it as one day at a time...dont dwell on how long it will take...after day five each day feels better and better! good luck!
I went the cold turkey way for 5 days and there was no sign of relief. I was taking like 3-4 Vicodin a day for a couple of yrs. I decided to ease off instead of cold turkey and adopted the Thomes Recipe with all the vitamins (amino acid, B6, magnesium, zinc- copper supplement, potassium, St Johns wort and the MOST IMPORTANT L Tyrosine). I took the vits 3 times a day starting out and am now down 2 times a day and less than 1 vicodin a day.

That night I took the vitamins, and a half a pill and slept like a baby- no RLS.... I also loaded up on zanax for the first week or so for sleep and have eased off since then.

This worked for me with no pain, side effects whatsoever.

Good luck and God Bless
You need to seek drs help to detox from that many..it could take up to 5days before you even experiance the dangerous symtoms (symptoms)..you wanna detox to live not to end up dying..i have unfortunatly seen it to many times..go to drs or hospital and detox with the help of them..please reply back so i know u  recieved this
stay strong and also attend 12 step meetings.I just celebrated 24 years clean from meth.Yes I still go to meetings and met the best people in my life there.It doesnt matter if it was an accident or just heavy partying that gets us there.We are addicted and need to stay clean,healthy,wise and at peace.Exercise surely helps and prayer doesnt hurt either.Good luck and hang in there.My life is very good compared to back when I lived to party or just numb my pain from my bike accident.
Well this is my first post! I've been using Vicodin  for kidney stone trouble an excuse I know.but it's consumed my life and it's sad .ive stopped for 6 days and to those who think they can't stop .it is the best thing you will ever do.this site and the advice I've received have given me a new outlook on life.trust me it does consume every aspect of ur life.i needed help and I've found it  I can't see faces on here but if I cud wow.
I am 24 years old and started taking vicodin a yr and a half ago. I weened myself down to only taking one at night. I went from 10 pills a day to one at night in a week...so it was a rapid weening. Right now I am at 24 hours without any. I have been taking vitamins for a few days and taking alot of baths. Right now the biggest thing is energy... Every one of my limbs feels like it is 10 pounds heavier and it's just a lot of effort to move at all. Also having a hard time breathing , chest feels heavy. Anyone else in this situation know what is yet to come? I was hoping that tapering off of them quickly would help lessen the withdrawals and shorten the length of them...but I'm the type of person who needs to kno what's gonna happen next...I hate not knowing.
I weaned off and didn't have any of those symptons. I suggest you consult a doctor on what is taking place, especially with the breathing issues. I know it does effect your body in weird ways.
Your post sounds like I wrote it. Only I am not clean or have never been. I got a lot of courage to try from you. I thank you. I do 25 norco's daily to maintain.
Been like this for 14yrs. need to stop. You helped  Just need to learn how to start. I am miserable in the closet
Crazylife, if you are seriously wanting to stop...take yourself to the ER.  Tell them what you have been taking, your withdrawal symptoms, etc.  I was prescribed clonidine for the withdrawal symptoms of taking 20 per day.   They also pumped me full of fluid since I was dehydrated.  It took a lot to take myself there.  I went alone, and I myself am in the closet with my addiciton.  NO ONE knows about it at all.  I'm on Day 5 today, and I feel a TON better... no anxiety, I can sleep, I still have to make myself eat, i'm thinking less of taking pills, although still want them, I know I can think through it, and NOT take them.  My life and all I have in it is way too important to let this S*$t control my life.  Good Luck, and if you are truly serious and want to power through it, it's mostly in your mind.  
What is the thomas recipe
Krazy43,

Here it is. I weened myself off (over a month) and had little to no discomfort. I used xanax at night to sleep and that worked well. I could have done it much faster but chose the slower, easier mode. I have gone cold turkey with alcohol and pain killers before. I went cold turkey on this at first and after 5 days without a minute of sleep I went this way.

Good luck and God Bless

Thomas Recipe

Taper your Vicodin (or other opiate) dose as much as you can before hand, and if possible take some time off from work or any other obligations you might have.

What you need:
1.Valium or any other type of benzodiazepine like Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax etc…
2.Immodiun.
3.L-Tyrosine.
4.Mineral supplement that contains at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium. You may not find a supplement that contains all of these together. If not, then buy separately.
5.Vitamin B6.
6.Access to hot showers or baths.

Putting it all into action:

“Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can’t find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you’re aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn’t need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium (immodium) aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don’t take it, however, if you don’t need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the “coffee jitters,” consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

- Thomas”
I am on day 23 with the help of Valium and day 12 with zero Norcos, my vision is blurred sometimes and I have good and bad days, but I know the worst is over, I smell things, I feel things and I love it, but my head is still cloudy and I just keep moving forward, I am stretching and exercising, my sleep is ok, and I am finding I feel very good at times and very bad at times, and but I just keep moving forward, I am back to my AA/NA meetings , I was sober for years, have not drank in 8 , but got addicted to Norcos, I was at about 15 or so a day and was just fine, I can not wait till the fog in my head is gone, I am hoping by Monday I fell 100% better than I do today, everyday is better.
HUlihan1
Ive been using pain killers and drinking for many years. Stopping and starting as I go. This time I made it up to 12/5mg a day. I use the Thomas recipe for quitting each time. This time hurts a bit more. I'm down to 5 per day. And the sweats and irritable bowels have started. A bit shaky. I take about 2 at noon. And three with 8mg of lorazepam. This helps keep the terrible nights at bay a little. By day 5 I'll be off everything, hopefully. Except the lorazepam as I'll continue that for a week longer at 6mg. In the end, I'll be sober and I'll wait for a good while until my tolerance level is obsolete and I can have a drink and a pill once or twice a week. I usually maintain this level for about 6 months until I dry out again. Usually before I get over 4 pills. This is my third time where it got out of hand and I waited too long to stop before all the terrible withdrawals come with the quitting. As I get older this lifestyle too gets old. Not sure what I'll do after this detox. Life is short and I've never liked to put on the breaks. And though with time I know this vicious cycle will grow tiresome, I'll keep it up as long as I can. Good luck to those of you, who like me are trying to detox.
I had drinking problems too, way before the vicodin problem. I was spiralling downhill with the drinking and basically hit bottom and just said f__k itl, no more! That was 17 yrs ago. Since then I have built an international business, have a great family, and got my self esteem back. AA helped me and is a wonderful organization but TO ME it is kind of a cult and will keep you connected to that lifestyle for the rest of your life. I quit going to meetings after about a yr and got on about my business.

The pain killers came much later. My wife died 6 yrs ago of pancreatic cancer and all these drugs were there and I used them on a very disciplined basis to help with the anquish and pain. These were super drugs (morphine, oxycontine, etc) and it took me about 4 mths to get hooked and I locked myself in my house and sweated it out. It was an experience I weirdly enjoyed and when I kicked it I was so proud of myself.

Two yrs ago I was suffering from some pain for a life of very physical activity in the army, ranching.... I started taking vicodin and really enjoyed the feeling I got from them, I was having some business problems and kept using them after I no longer needed them for pain. I never took more than 3-4 7.5mgs a day and really enjoyed it for 2+ yrs. I thought this was an easy and safe high after what I had been through- "piece of cake". Then it caught up with me a couple of mths ago. I tried cold turkey like before and went 5 days without sleep, RLS all over my body and I looked on here and found the Thomas Recipe.

I am now clean and realize you can't keep "cleaning up" and go back for a little more "euphoria"- it just doesn't work that way and it will eventually kill you and leave you with a legacy that will not be kind.

This is a wonderful forum and if you actually read these life experiences you will wake up to the fact you CANNOT WIN using artificial highs- nothing but a crutch and another nail in your coffin.

I feel I am the luckiest man in the world to have survived what I have put myself through and hopefully will never experience another addiction to any controlling substance again for the rest of my life.
I am 35 and  have been on and off of opiates and benzo’s for the last 10 years. I started taking Vidodin after I was in a car accident 10 years ago and I loved that high it gave me. I have anxiety so I take Xanax and Valium. I also take these pills because it numbs me and I don’t have to deal with a lot of issues that I’ve had throughout my life. I have an addictive personality as it is. I was a raging alcoholic for 4 years and beat it on my own…basically, I didn’t have a choice as I got pregnant and didn’t want to hurt my baby.
I got married to a great guy 3 years ago and he loves Opiates just as much as me. The past year our addiction had spun way out of control. We got script’s from our doc. For 120 norc’s each and would blow through those within 2 weeks. I would 90 get 2mg Xanax  and blow through those within a week, easy. After our script’s were gone we’d buy ‘em off the street, wherever we could get them. Then  we started taking oxy, 20’s and 80’s. We went through 50 80mg oxy’s within a week. Basically, we have taken every opiate out there except heroin. It has started to destroy our marriage and I can’t even explain how disgusted I am with myself being a mother doing all of this. Three days ago my husband and I decided that this is it, either we get off of all of this or we get a divorce. Neither of us our happy. The first 2 days detoxing was hell.(Shakes, sweating, chills, muscles cramps, restless leg syndrome, irritable, anxious…basically felt like I got hit by a train).  Yesterday I found a clinic that prescribes Suboxone and had an appt, this morning. We have no insurance but we will pay whatever the cost to do this. It’s actually a lot less than we were spending on dope. We were spending at least 2,000 a month on our habit. The Suboxone really works (4mg 2 to 3 times a day) but we don’t want to get addicted to that so we want to take it for about a week and then cut it down to 2mg twice a day for week and completely stop. We both want this so much and are trying our best to be strong for each other. My husband is the stronger one so I do lean on him a lot. I wish everyone luck as I do for myself. It’s tough, but I know if you really want it , you can do it!
Its a ************ quiting let me straight up get that out of the way. I just quit and its been like 12 days sober now. Holy **** its really bad the first 2-4days. Definitely try n get some benzos. Valium n xanex help. They kinda make u zombie but as long as u get past the first couple days you should be ok. The only ****** part is. Even after 12 days of sobriety, I'm really starting to crave again. JUST PUSH THROUGH IT. Oh ya its good to try n have someone Ther like a bf. Or gf.vitamins, television /movies. Keep you're mind occupied. Marijuana really helped. Well I hope I helped a little.
I need to know how long does it stay in your system ive been on em for 4yrs
I too have been taking vicodin for a knee injury. The doc said take one in morning and one at night. After my return visit he renewed the script, I assumed it was okay. How stupid, now I wont say it hasnt kept the pain away, but at what price. It has been three days now and the pain in my hands arms and legs is beyond words. I am so angry at myself and at the doctor for not letting me know this could happen. I feel so weak in myself, I am on my way to get the melatonin and cranberry juice to flush system.  No one knows about this I am to ashame to say anything.       By....panicinmi
I'm so sorry to hear of your situation.  Many of us started down this road due to pain or accidents.  It sounds like you are 3 days into withdrawal is that what you were saying?

Days 3-4 were the worst for me and it does get better after that.  Get yourself immodium and take it aggressively, everytime you hit the toilet take an immodium - even if it is 5 times in 2 hours - get the trots under control.

Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate.  Try to force yourself to eat something - bananas, peanut butter, white rice, broth - whatever you can get down.  Check out the thomas recipe by looking all the way down to bottom right of this page under "Most viewed health pages".

I'm not sure how well cranberry juice will do on your stomach during detox - I would try to do water, gatorade, ginerale stuff not so acidic.

Lots of hot showers, every hour on the hour if you need as that was a huge relief for me.  Around  about your 5th day you'll start feeling like you will live again.  Just be careful as the mental stuff does sink in - I was not abusing my meds, taking only as prescribed but they were no longer helping the pain, it became a habit of just popping those pills.  Quitting was easy enough for me but learning to live with the pain is a little more challenging.

I wish you well and post often for support.  You responded to an older post so next time just start a new thread by selecting "post a question" and you'll get more responses.

Good luck!
hello friend,
well, u r in the right place and ther are all kinds of il tid bits tht added together will b a whole lot of help...showers are very good...for sleep? thats a tough one...u may just have to ride it out till u r so exhausted. b vitamins to keep your body going, i happen to cry when the mood hits me. pepermint lifesavers...may not b much, but its some calories and you get that god awful stale taste out of your mouth....water water water water! drink lots...eat what you can...also...who knows why, perhaps its just me.....the classic singers from the big band era and swing helps some. how bot a pepermint while taking a shower as you listen to big bands?.....sorry, tryin a little levity...i tooo am suffering from this..if u click on my name you will find a post for tai chi breathing..it does work...perhaps a walk if and when its cool out...just a short one. do u have a support network? does your md know? tell him! there is an antihistimine thats non habit forming called hydroxozine pam...50 mgs! 3 times a day if he is willing..it will calm you and help w anxiety. wish i could do and help more...post herer when u r feeling real bad....it helps....courage is not what many ppl think it is....courage is enduring for one more moment...then for one more moment...etc...luv you....fight the goo d fight
I am @ 5wks. with no hydro's (5/500) was @2 a day for 2yrs. now i feel rotten mentally want to take naps a lot. Iguess just general depression.  How long does this last??
I have been addicted to pain killers for about 5 years my husband is to. Today we decided to quit to quit together. This ***** bad! I feel like I could kill someone! We are in debt because of our addiction and somethings got to give. We have tried before but I believe this time is different! We both seem more determined this time. The one thing im really worried about is my husband has very bad back problems and when I see him in pain its my first reaction to give in! How can I help him feel better without the drugs! Day 1 its just begun but Im trying to stay positive and keep my mind off it! Thanks to everyone who has posted your ideas and stories have made me feel better about doing this!
HI there-  welcome and you've found a great place for support.  Why dont' you make a new post so more people will respond and reach out to you?
Hello I'm a mom who got sucked into the world of taking Vic's!  I started out taking a few that led into 12 a day then on a good day feeling lavish I would take 15/16 , 10-325 Vic's!  Well I'm detoxing ready to give my husband and son my 100% back!  I'm feeling good , this is how Iv been starting my detox! I did a day to day taper so three days ago I took one norco  at 8 pm went to bed  knowing the wds would kick in by morning  I went until 1pm then I gave my body 1 norco to rid the Terrible wds! Then I took one more at 4pm  followed by one more before bed! Now I also put one pill by my bedside just incase I woke up in agony that terrible feeling started at 3am! So I took another! The next day I was able to go longer a d longer I'm now at 15 hour stretches and I feel wonderfull! I want my life back! NOTHING TASTES BETTER THAN BEING CLEAN! I know that I only have 8 pills left today is day three I will now cut then in half and only use to rid the wds. I feel like many of you try to do this cold turkey but it's def worth trying to save 30 pills to do what I'm doing! I may be I. Denial a bit but I really think this is far better than cold turkey! Please give me your thoughts and prayers ! I promise to keep posting and remember I know how all u feel! I weined myself off morphine a year ago if I can do that I think I can do this! No I know I can! Let me know if u tried this and if the withdraw was as bad! Love to u all and btw Iv been taking the Vic's for 6 months but a full 4 straight with a script of 90 a month building to 180 a month! And screw those docs for writing the scripts this drug is so addicting ! I told
My doctor today NO MORE NO MATTER WHAT I SAY! Please I'm addicted and want my life back! She was pretty proud of me and  gave me her word that I would get through! Thanks
Oh yeah forgot to add I am taking alot of vitamins! They really help
okay, well i like you, got pulled into the world of addiction to vicodin. i was given 3 rx's from my dr after having my baby. 3 rx's of 60. lets just say 6 months later i have spent a total of $1700 for them off the street. today is my 8th day off of them, and i can honestly say i have only been ok for about 2 days. i have only slept for the last 2 nights. but now i feel great. i was up to 17 a day. i still get night sweats a little but theyre getting better. hoping for none tonight. i searched for the same answer as u right around the same time as u. but this website was down or i couldnt access it from my iphone.. anyways best of luck and ur in my prayers. this was the hardest thing i have ever done by far.
I am on day 22 and have blurred vision weakness and confusion in my mind also. does this end anytime soon? Currently taking  Clonipin Neurotin, Glucophag. 2 Blood Pressure meds and Wellbutrin. I am in a daze now and hoping it passes soon!
is anyone here,i'm not sure how this works.i'm on day six and have a job coming up that is really important i have 0 energy i feel like my throat hurt's i need pills bad or i'll **** up the job.i'm scared to death my hubby is having his 3rd major surgery in 3 years,i'm terrified i cant cope without pills.
This is day 10 for me, and I can't sleep.  Night time terrifies me.  My left hip is really bad off and I refuse to take anything at all for any kind of pain.  By the middle of the day, I can not even walk or take a deep breath from the pain in my hip.  If only I could sleep.  I read the Thomas Recipe and finally have the money to get some of the things tomorrow.  I really hope this stuff works.  Good luck to all, I will never trust a doctor again!  I used to sleep all the time, anytime...  How much longer do I have to go.  I have been taking average 3 750/500 a day for a year...
thank you for your words. I was a heavy user of whatever I could get my hands on back in 05-08. I decided to enter a methadone clinic. Worst mistake ever. After 2 1/2 years of that I lowered my dose to 2mg from 140. over a years time that was. But I could not make it past week 2 of detox. I then began to take suboxene. Now a year and half later I am coming off of that. I said enough. today is day 5, and this day is way better than yesterday. My partner has no idea, I have done well at keeping it together. Thank you again. reading that has gave me the jolt I needed to get through a couple of more days!!
I have been off of oxycontin for about 1 1/2 weeks and feel great. I was taking about 60 mg daily and then cut down to 20 mg then to 10.for a few days each.. then took vicodin for 4 days... then tramadol for 5 days.then quit.. and had no withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms). My head was a bit foggy at first but I feel much better and have not had any cravings at all. Life is so much better now that I don't  have to worry about where I'm going to get my next pill.
I have been on pain meds for 4 yrs... it started with vicodin for back pain, first it was 4 a day, then 6 a day, then it went from 5mg to 10mg 6-8 times a day. Then I had carpal tunnell surgery..... more vicodin then after that I went off it for about 5 months and felt fine. Then my shoulder and elbow started hurting more and more and my hand did not feel fixed from the carpal tunnel surgery..... so then they give me ulnar nerve surgery... more pain meds before and after..... still in pain and having extreme headaches.... i was in the er once a week.... do a cat scan... comes to find out all that had been wrong with me... was my brain. chiari malformation... a very severe one.... my brain had literally hyerniated 9mm down my neck and caused a huge cyst in my spinal cord.... I was told if it was not found I would have been dead in 6 months. Good news is they fixed it, well sort of, i will always have the cyst... u cant operate in someones spinal cord and the recovery from the brain surgery and dealing with the cyst pain and the emotional pain of knowing I could have died and some day the cyst could grow again and I will never know, i have to pay attention to my symptoms... which hello... is PAIN....... 2 yrs go by and im sick of the pain meds... they are never strong enough, there are never enough of them.... i was taking 120 15mg oxcys every 10 days..... thats what they prescribe after this surgery and you get to stay on it for your cyst pain even longer...... well i never was able to adjust to not taking that many in 10 days... they kept giving me oxcys but it was never enough..... one day i just woke up and was sick of the game, sick of counting the days till the next refill, sick of borrowing from other chronic pain patients, sick of paying for meds that i can get for free if i didnt eat them all in a week! So i stopped talking them and tried to detox myself at home with some ultram...... no one told me ultram would be hell to get off off then down to vicodin.... Im in hell.... legs are aching, i feel like i wanna scream but then i cant move... im agitated but cant do anything... this is my choice... bc of my condition i could stay on this crap forever... i dont want to... i flushed the rest of my vics down the toilet..... but i am in hell....... how long will this last????? I can handle being tired, not eating, being slow and low... but the leg pain and agitation and the feeling in my chest is making me feel crazy..... plus i havent slept in 3 days... how much longer???? Do i ask my dr for more vic to make it easier or just get threw it????
Im working on day two and its not easy but im trying to drink lots of fluid and stay busy. Yesturday was really hard i felt like iwas going to die! I am trying to do this without my wife finding out. I know she will be supportive but i dont want to disapoint her. I hear day three is easy so wish me luck!
This is my 2nd time detoxing from Vicodin. First time I went thru rehab was in 06'. At the time I was taking 5-6 500/day. A couple years after that I started taking them again, but this time it was the 10/325 (3-4 a day at most). I also have Hep C so I know how bad this is for me. Anyway I am sick of being in bondage to a drug. I have tapered off and today will be my last day of 1/2 pill. Tomorrow I will be set free! I should add that I am 55 yr old. I went thru recovery for street drugs in 1986 and stayed clean and sober for 16 yr. I know I can do this one day at a time. I also will regain my true energy and not what I thought was "enenrgy" from a narcotic!
Vicodin withdrawal  I'm on 3rd day of w/d. Been taking meds for over 3.5 years from repeated surgeries. Now it's just an addiction. Norcos about 6 or 7 a day. Stopped when I ran out. Had the chance to,get more but want this to be over with.

Thursday was bad, restless legs. The vomiting and diarrhea started. Friday I went to ER.  Friday was the worst, little sleep and legs killing me.  They gave me 2 iv bags and some potassium along with ativan,  They gave Ativan for home to calm the nerves and meds for nausea and vomiting,  finally took Imodium (immodium) today.  Lots of coconut water, vitamin water, vitamins. Switch between between Motrin an Tylenol. I did more around the house today but still feel like crap. What will tomorrow look like...?
No one has addressed Fioricet, without codeine.  I have been on it for amost  6 years now, and am up to 12 - 14 a day.  The govt has cracked down on the purchasing of this online, and I know I must quit.  I have 65 of them in my drawer, will try 6 a day for 2 days, then 5 a day for 2 days.  After that, I hope  I have the courage to continue cutting down.  Please pray for me, I have been through detox from butaltibal 3 times, the last time was horrible.  Hope this time doesn't kill me.
Doing same thing right now on day 7 of weaning. I was taking v 60 to 70 mg per day to just take them for energy and well come on, we love hate them.  I went from 60 mg to 50 mg for 5 days. Not an issue, stuck with taking them same time each day. On day two of 40mg and wd set in a bit last night, felt like my brain wires were crossed and back and legs hurt. Woke up at 4 AM could barely get outta bed. So may drop to 5 mg for three days. During wd you should not feel uncomfortable, if you are your doing it wrong you will feel wd, doing it right none...and we are all different. Go get Xanax enough for 2 per day for 5 days... Does wonders. No more than that.. Super cheap, need a script. About 8 bucks for that many without insurance. Then if anything get the L tyrosine, it was 14 dollars. Go slow on this,it gave me bloating and severe gas pains. It keeps me alert and less wd. I take mine in the morning time for the alertness and energy.  If can take multi vitamin with zinc, Walgreens for about 6 bucks. I have all the vitamins but dropped them All but the multi and l tyrosine because of severe tummy issues. Still struggle a bit weaning so I'm listening to my body to slow weaning down. Give your brain time to adjust to making its own endorphins, which stops when using opiates or should I say depends on opiates to do this for it.... Everything you do make it positive music, TV, exercise (even just a walk) and have smell goods around the house, it kicks it endorphins in the brain.   Let me know, stay strong. I literally put mint under my nose and have candles burning while listening to music. Hey, it helps.
Sorry assuming migraines. If you don't have them you will weaning off as you know. Pain management prescribes these. If you can go to one who will and if you have migraines which I assumed go try the Botox injections unless taking them recreationally.   Sorry I assume migraines.
I was going to go to inpatient detox with sub. They use it for 5 days only to get you through wd. I chickened out so weaning now. Any longer on sub I hear is a nightmare to wd, worse than anything.. Similar to methadone which I did do and would not wish that on anyone. I took methadone from a clinic for 8 days and had 2 weeks of awful wds. So short term sub only to avoid a worse wd... Good luck.  Trying to wean now and gosh this *****.  Just using the wean method and vitamins due to horrid wds from a short term methadone detox. Research how clinics do it for 3 to 5 days... I hear it works short term only though.. Don't take one drug out and put another in long term.
Hi my name is nicole and its been 18 hours since I took my last percocet. I feel weird I'm so used to taking them n Vicodin n vicoprofen everyday for the past two years and I don't want to rely on them anymore
I just wanted to 2 say even with taking 6 that is low if you put that beside people like I am only 5'4 and 110 lbs I took 6 10mg at a time and at least 20 a day and that is a lot of money but I am on day 5 and I feel decent but I get really dizzy but I think that's cause my sleep isn't back 100% like 35% back and I told my parents I quit a while ago because I didn't want to let them down anymore and I made it so far so if it's not that bad for me then it won't be for you
I am going to start detox soon as everyone else i am scared. I am 59 and have been on Norco 10/325 10-12 a day for years. dont know which way to go,cold turkey or subox? i stoped for 18 hours and could not take the coffee jitters.
The Dr had prescribed me Norco and methadone for my pain for RA about two years ago. Im 26yrs old and I never new much about how pain pills worked. I got pregnant and asked the dr if it was ok to stay on these medication, he said yes I would get 126norcos for the month and 30 methadone's. Im 35weeks pregnant and moved out of town showing my other ob dr what I am taking and he said it COULD harm the baby. He couldn't give me any advise on what to do, so having a lot left I tried to stop cold turkey. Im still on day one on not taking anything and im shaky, sweating and I can't eat, im week and my stomach has this nasty feeling, where I want to put pressure on it knowing I can't and won't but just to stop the pain!!! Baby isn't moving as much as she was and I dont know what to do!! Am I hurting the baby? How long will these I guess withdrawals last? If I eat I throw up!! What do I do? Do I keep going?
I have been on norco 7.5/325's for 2yrs. It has gotten to the point where i can fill my perscription and be out 5 days later! I buy them when i can, and seriously stress when I'm getting low on them. I have tried a few times to ween myself down and to stop cold turkey. The cold turkey thing is horrible! Once I'm sick all my will power goes right out the window and I feel like i'd do anything to just feel better. When I ween, i do ok for a while, then I go right back to taking between 15-30 a day. Today I called my doctor and told him about the problems I was having. I have an apt. with him in a few days. I'm hoping to be able to detox this time all the way. I'd love to check in somewhere and detox without having to worry about maintaining a home, cooking dinner for the kids, and homework. We have 4 kids, my hubby works afternoons, all of this stuff falls to me and when so sick I can't function. I've been reading all of the posts here and they really help to know that i'm not alone. I think detox wouldn't be as bad if i could just kick the hot/cold sweats and the runs :( Those 2 sympotoms are the WORST for me. Thanks everyone, keep posting, your what's keeping me to hold on right now!
im in my 60th hour of cold turkeying it after taking any wher from 8 to 15 ten milligram norcos for the last three years...its a struggle for sure!but this morning i feel alittle better...yesterday i was feeling a little panicky a couple of times and when that happened one time i went out and washed my car...the next time i went out and changed the oil in my car...so i guess when this bad panicky feeling comes over you...find somethig to occupy your hands and mind for a little while...it defenitely helped me to get thru it!i also shut my phone off and stuck it in my locker at work...and im not going to get it out for fourteen days...stay out of contact with bad influences is what that amounts too.lotsa vitamins ive been taking...and im gonna make it...goodbye opioids and good riddance!!!!!!!
im now in my 95th hour of kicking these norcos,its frggin rough!but many,many years ago i kicked heroine after doing it for years and this is really nothing compared to that.im having lotsa trouble sleeping,my muscles feel like their in a vise,and im smokin cigarrettes like their free.i really dig everyones posts...some of them make me feel very emotional!i hear everyone talking about replacing one drug with another(i.e.suboxone...methadone...etc)just from my experience,its not a good idea...you will still withdraw,and from what ive experienced its a worst withdrawal than the pills.its really all just a mental challenge...do it cold turkey without any other drugs...thats the way to go!
im back again folks...with 138 hours of being clean.i feel weak and lethargic,but man do i feel great...no more chills...i actually ate a full meal about an hour ago after almost six days of just peckin at this and that.that light at the end of the tunnel is so very close...the worst is over and im proud of myself...i hope anyone who sees this will gain a little hope for themselves.this is do-able people,it really is!
I wish you luck. These stories have been a blessing to me. I am a newlywed. My husband and I do not even drink and neither of us ever tried drugs. Before we met I was so happy, great professional  career, and doing sport modeling. I went rock climbing one day and completely ripped up my leg. Strains, pulls, tears. Was prescribed 5/500 vicodin. Took them only when I had physical therapy. Suddenly I was taking them more.my month supply of 60 would be gone in a week. My mom would get me more. I said I would NEVER buy them, but I have. A lot. Was scared of WD. Feel shame. Luckily I have my mom who went through it. I took time off to CT. My mom said to taper. Put me on her same taper. Tons of vitamin,fluids. Down from 10 every couple of days to 3. I never thought it would happen to me. A Vegan that does not even drink, never used illegal drugs. It can happen to anyone. I don't want to see a freaking pill when this is over. I will have you and your husband in my thoughts. Everyone else here as well that is detoxing and w/d. We can and will do it!!
I understand. I should have known better, but I listened to my doctor and he told me to keep taking vicodin. I feel ashamed. My mom and husband have been great support. I am pissed at my doctor and at myself for not doing the research and just taking the doctors word...
I hope you are doing well...
Great Job Belle!! Sounds like you are on your way to recovery. This is an older post so if you want you can start your own post and it will be with the most current posts and you will probably get more responses and support. Just FYI. Keep up the great work!
((hugs))
Thank you so much! I realized oops, I am responding to old posts :). Thank you and hugs to you! Tapered down again last night...I do not want to rush it ,but my mom said, if you do not need it, do not take it. She has been through it because she has had her knees replaced so I am listening to her AND my body. I will post on a new thread. Thanks BKitty!
I am on day three....not sleeping well..feel like crap....2 months of Vic/morphine...I could go get more and was just about to and decided to read this...thank you for your posts...I went through this about 6 years ago and have taken narcotics when ever I could get them, legal or otherwise...I really need this to be the end of this addiction...I have this incredible son who really needs his mother to be present right now...not laying on the couch or bed for days.  Why oh why does that medication give me such a empowered feeling?  I am a much more lively, involved, happy person on them.  How do I get that feeling outside of narcotics.....I WILL NOT GO AND GET MORE, price is too high
As soon as I saw "Wellbutrin" a red flag went up! I have taken enormous amounts of Vicodin over MANY years. I was off entirely for years. After 22 days off my guess is the severe suffering may be due to something else you're taking. For me, the very first time I took Wellbutrin when my shrink prescribed it, it was horrifying. I was on the freeway on July 4th with my very young daughter when it kicked in. It was all I could do to make it off the freeway and into a MacDonald's parking lot. We sat there until I felt back in control and able to drive. About six hours. Never took another. How you described your symptoms coincided with some of the things I felton Wellbutrin. For me they're lethal and not an option. There are so many other things that can take their place. I do not know if these are a problem for you, but it's worth thinking about and trying a process of elimination.  
Be careful of the Tylenol! THAT is the deadly ingredient contained in Vicodin, believe it or not. The one that's making you feel the worst.
Hi, my name is Lisa. I have been taking 4-5 norco a day for a year now because I have nerve damage in my face from a bad oral surgery. I have had to take them daily and now want to go back to taking them just a few times a month when I just cant take the pain anymore. IAM NOT ADDICTED, only dependent, I have ZERO cravings for it, I feel sea sick all the time from them. I hate pain meds. and like i said addiction isnt the problem, its the restless feeling I cant stand so I take 1 pill.That us what scares me is the RLS. only it is not just restless legs it is my whole body and my arms bad. I cant sit still and just cry. I noticed u talk about RLS, so I wanted to know how u are now and how long did it take to lose that restless AWFUL feeling? Did the l tyrosine really help? Let me know please and if u have any more advise I would love to hear it. Thanks, Lisa  u cant e-mail me at ***@**** please. I dont know if i will be back on this site so e-mail me please:)
I am starting now for 9 days detox  off of 8 a day  I will be reading and posting  thanks  for being here...
Hi I've been taking norco and vicadin for 2 years I take them everyday. I have lupus and just took advantage of them and now I'm stuck. I'm so tiered of taking them its becoming a problem in my marriage... I'm so scared to stop I get so sick....
Same here I'm so scared...
I have been on narcos for 12years. Im 30. Im afraid too. Its all going to hit me when i come off these suckers. I have maybe 12 left. Their the 7.5's. I finished my 210 narcos, about a week ago. And i gt the 7.5s 5 days ago! Talk about trouble. Huh! Feeling confused. Doubting myself. Im in a serios relationship. God knows hes been trying to help. He knows nothing about opiat addiction-in the past helped a girl gt off of heroine-which i think is the second worst detox. I love him and i know he loves me. For he doesnt have to put up wit my crap. Yet, he does it anyway. God has helped me alot. I have bad anxiety which makes me take more of the anxiety meds. I have messed up so much theres no time anymore to feel sorry for the stupidity that im creating. If thomas has showed me anything, the main thing hes shown me is to be strong. Im a serious pill addict. Ill be detoxing at home, and it scares me-since ive had siezers before. Im coming off a 25 a day pill intake. Please pray for me because i nd A miracle in this one.
"The girl whos taking a step"
I have been  addicted to opiates for 18yrs, im a mother of three wonderful kids and i am married to my soulmate. Im on day 3 of cold turkey. It *****, ive also been hooked on xanax for over 8 yrs, i didn't think i could stop taking xanax but ive been clean for 2yrs but these pain pills r a mother!!! With that being said after 18yrs of always thinking about a pill i am truly done, i want the old me back but idk if i remember who that is!! My family deserves more
Thanks for sharing your experience I'm on my 3rd day last nite was the worst chills to the bone and then hot diarrhea was horrible I was hoping this day would be better.  I woke up with a slight headache less symptoms just a little scared, because I have to leave the house today. I've been taking vicodin for about 5 years , I loss my only child to murder , I have been numbing my feeling taking 5 to 8 Vicodin a day I really want to stop. I'm tired up being tired
Email
Verify Email
Default Pay from Account
NO NO way. U need somewhere to go. Cut down and Slow Down was the most scariest words to me. That's ridiculous your family. Take some downers or something but u cant just do this by yourself.
I know but your lucky you didn't do something horrible and end up in a cell or something but we addicts are in a cell of the devil. I remember it feeling like the words I used was "Angel next to me" I still agree the FEELING itself is but what is slowly doing to you massive destruction mainly financially, and to yourself. It felt very normal to me like alcohol almost part of the OTC list. But no.
Think about the Heroin users: they will endure pure hell. So this makes me stronger.
Get support and go to a place and please when u do get support go to a person that actually been through it. Oh if u take downers don't drink alcohol. I just learned that.
I'm a ******* licensed Pharmacy Technician by the way. Currently not working. I love the field of medicine but I think I loved it a little to much, no the street stuff is the one that ate me. I have to admit I experienced a lot of drugs and this drug is the most comfortable with even more than oxycontin it like really got me in the brain and changed the way I think and the brain receptors begin to get used to it and respond to happiness only when u take the damn ******* yellow oval 36 01 scored ************. When u don't have it ur not familiar without the drug. Music always helps me.
Viewing 201-275 comments: