Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How long will my subutex withdrawal last?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been on 8 MG of Subutex (not suboxone) for about 7 weeks.. I am going to stop cold turkey tomorrow. Does anyone know how long my withdrawal will last and how bad it will be? I have heard withdrawal from Sub is milder than say.. vicodin or oxy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
comming off 8mg of sub is going to feel like getting hit by a train....this drug needs to be tapered down to a low low dose where not aloud to give dosing ifo or taper plans but we have had success storys at 2mg and jhumping this is a funny drug some come off at 2mg with little side effects othes take it to crumbs and suffer for 2 weeks you just wont know till you try what ever you do dont jump from 8........Gnarly
Don't really have a choice, I am out of them and I moved out of state and am not in a position to get anymore. I will tough It out, I know it will suck but Im not going to sit around and cry about it. It is what it is.
I was on them for only two months roughly, It may not be bad. I was tapering but to be honest I got impatient and I just wanted to start the sh** and get it over with. Im sure it will be a little rough but you never know, everyone's different..It may not be that bad. I have heard it isnt as bad as a full opiate agonist such as oxy..which I jumped from 80 mg's a day cold turkey and survived. The reason I moved here about 600 miles away from home, where I know nobody..was ultimately to do this. It will be painful but I will survive. Might be able to get my hands on a vicodin or norco maybe halfway through to ease it up a bit
well it wont be pritty its going to take about 4 days to hit then about 2 to 3 weeks to run its course this is one tuff withdrawal
second only to methadone.......Gnarly
I have heard it last's a week if you have less than 3 months on the sub
it has a lot to do with what dose your coming off off to
So what you're telling me is, I would have the same withdrawal of someone that was on sub for 5 years even if I was on it for 2 months? Doesnt make sense
I was on subutex for one week and during that week I had withdrawals from the heroin but I am now feeling withdrawals from the subutex. Amy idea how long they will last?
I used subutex for 20 days and had about 14 days of withdrawals. In one week, I don't think you will feel the subs. I think you will be feeling the lingering heroin withdrawal, but not acute symptoms. A friend used subs 4 days for iv heroin. She was fine within a week after her last sub. It's really different for everyone, but I wanted to share a couple examples of short term sub use.  
I have been on subutex (now down to one 8 mg pill per day) for three years. I started with two pills a day, but now down to one a day and it's been consistent for a while.  I ran out and didn't get my refill right away nad was taking one haf of a pill per day and that is where I am now What will withdrawal be like for me (coming off of three years).  I have been on it since June 21, 2010.  I'm scared, but i have not had a problem since with any other drugs or alcohol.
You attached your post onto another, older thread.  To get more replies, you would want to start a new thread (orange "post a ?" button on top right of page).

Sub w/ds can be rougher, typically, due to how bupe binds to the opiate receptors and its long half life, its w/ds are worse than a full agonist opiate (hydrocodone, oxycodone, heroin, etc).  The BEST way to come off sub is to do a SLOW and gradual taper.  The sub doc I worked with recommended pts tapered down to at LEAST 0.5 mg/day before jumping, and even those people had some level of w/d usually.  I would strongly caution against trying to jump off sub at 2mg or higher...it will be bear, plain and simple.  Occasionally, we'll hear of a person that did okay jumping off higher doses, but that's rare.

Also, have you done work on your recovery while on the subs, or did you just take the sub?  If you didn't work on your recovery, your chance of relapse is high.  If that's the case, I would recommend rethinking coming off until you've started putting an aftercare plan in place, PLUS tapering down a lot more.

Best of luck!
Thank you for your response, and you're right, I posted in the wrong area I guess. I'm new to all of this. Anyway, I did not do any other type of recovery except the mandatory monthly group meeting when picking up my prescription and checkig in with my doctor.  I have slowly weaned down to i pill a day, but that has been over a one period. I have survived on half a pill a day for a week when I know I will run out and my insurance won't pay earlier, so that's the best I've done.  I guess I need to talk to my doc about the 2 mg pills and start from there.  I hate this feeling of still be addicted, but by doc says its no different than a diabetic taking insulin, or whatever. IDK, I worry and don't want to be on it for the rest of my life. I wonder what I would be like w/o it. I've been on it since June 2010.  Before that, I wnet 40 years drug free and became addicted to prescription pills (opiates) and voluntarily checked myself into a place and he thought I was a good candidate for this, but my period of being on opiates before the subutex was only a year, so now my brain is programned with this stuff for a long period of time. : ( .
I am in exactly the same position as you, and looking for answers. Been on Subutex for aprox. 6 months. Was on Suboxone for 2.5 years. I take a half (4mg) of an 8mg pill daily. I so want to just quit but I am terrified of what the withdraws will be like. My body seems to really go through hell with anything I come off of. Example, I had seizures coming off my antidepressant, Paxil. If you find anything out let me know. I try to taper lower than the half and I feel really crappy.
You can do it. I was on methadone for 5 years after coming off a massive heroine addiction, and have been on the Subutex for almost a year. I started at 16 mgs and have slowly worked my way down to less than 1mg. I am about to start day seven of being completely clean, no Subutex AT ALL... It hasn't been too bad, but i'm still feeling it. on a scale of 1-10 10 being the worst withdrawls I've ever had I would rate it like a 2.5.... My biggest complaint is that I still feel like I'm jumping out of my skin. Also feels like I have a small electrical current running through the top layer of my skin.... can't wait to be done!
Have you done it yet?