Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
How long will the withdrawals last?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

How long will the withdrawals last?

I have a question about withdrawals and how long I can expect to have them. I started doing some Percocets at night to help me get to sleep and I won't lie I also enjoyed the high. Eventually I didn't get the same effect and the dosage had to go up. Then it got to the point where it wasn't fun anymore I just had to take more. As my tolerance grew, so did my need. A so called friend of mine stared selling me his script for 30 mg Roxicodone. They were nice and a lot stronger than the 5 or 10 mg Percocets. At first it was just a nightly thing but now has become every 4 to 6 hours. The dose I take is not the full 30 mgs each time though. I do realize if I continue taking them my tolerance with grow even more. I've started taking Oxycontins at low levels just to be able to sleep the night through without having to wake up in pain to take more of the shorter lasting Roxy's. The problem I'm facing know may be the best thing to happen to me. I can no longer get the supply of pills I once could. Now I have to get what's available on the street level. I don't like this feeling of unsurety. I do know that I will experience withdrawals if I stop cold turkey now. What I need to know how long they will last. I have just gotten some 40 mg Methadose tablets. I've tried breaking them into eighths and they seem to last longer and relieve any withdrawals from the other pills. How long can I take the Methadose and not get hooked on them? I'm taking only 5mgs at a time now. Would  doing this for a short time help me beat the Roxy and Oxy withdrawals? Any information you can tell me would greatly help!
Tags: Addiction
Try not to take the methadone longer than one week. Breaking them up is good. Try to take the doses farther apart. The Methadone will get you off the other stuff, but don't let it bite you like it bit me! Good luck, Benz Doc
after you taper down the best you can,
when you finally stop. the withdrawls will last
about 5 days, that is the worst part, during this time
you will have seveer depression, restless legs , lack of sleep.
the runs  and inability to sleep.
week 2 it starts to get better,
it sort like flu conditions,
imodium (immodium) during week 1 will help.
5 or 6  -500mg l-tyrosine  a day week 1
2 b-6 100 mg  week 1
a strong multi vitamine.
vitamine s   A  - C -and E.
THERE ARE SOME OTHER MINARILS THAT CAN HELP
they are part of the thomas's receip

you may want to get some valume to help you sleep
during the 1st week.
dring lots of water
and get hot baths for the restless leg and body
at night.

peace!!!!!!!!!!hippy
Hey Scary,
Sorry about posting on top from a question down below, but the way this thing is set up now, it makes it impossible to carry on a conversation.
I'd make the same suggestion as Thomas did.  (Preferrably Inpatient) but Outpatient would work fine.  Ask the coordinator about any family services that are available during your stay.  I think you will be surprised to find that they are more than willing to help.
Find comfort in knowing the following:
We ALL come to a point of feeling "surprised" about what mess we find ourselves in.  I don't think there are any of us here that woke up and said, "Hey... today, I will shuck my life and begin a rewarding career in substance abuse."  For some of us, it's just trying to find a way to avoid feelings that make us feel bad about ourselves.  For others, it's simply following "professional" doctors orders.  It really doesn't matter what the cause is, moreover the effect.
In the throws of addiction and coming to the realization that you are in quite a fix is overwhelming.  So overwhelming, that we all TRY to stop, fail, then think "Man.. I never wanna go through THAT again!"  We think we are for some reason weaker than others that succeed.  Why is that?  Why do we feel that someone else can do it, but for some mental roadblock, we can't?
Well... it's called a Monkey.  And the monkey is the biggest ***** you'll ever meet.  She's constantly on your ass about not being "good enough", "Up to the task", "Not worth it" or making you feel afraid that SOMEONE may find out.
No one including myself has some sort of special gift of avoiding the pain, suffering and results of going through withdrawal.  We all have to go through it to get to the other side.  Hell.. I'm just some guy that made it.  Nothing special at all.  What I can tell you, is that the journey you're contemplating is worth it.
One quick question and I'll close this long winded response.
Do you remember how it feels to really feel good?
I do, and I can't put it into words.  All I can do is provide you with a glimmer of hope.  That's all it took for me.
All the best,
Methman

PILLHEAD!  What up G?  Sorry for the run-on message, but DANG!  This place is like takin' the A train to Manhatten.  Better be early and have a token, or you ain't goin' NO WHERE BABY!
Politics.  Man.. it ain't nothin' but a thang.  At least we don't have the politics problems that Saddam has!  He may have a hard time getting re-elected!
I'll send you and email in a bit.

Rock on Peeps!
I hav heard some people refer to HepC when talking about side effects of addiction...please tell me that is not Hepatitis they are referring to...uggh that would b aweful...
Anyway that is just my curious question forthe month!!
Hep C is obtained through blood transfusions, needle usage between two people, one with hep c of course, as well as other BLOOD related contact. Not through taking pills.
Tylenol or anything else that agrivates the liver will exacerbates the side effects of hep c.
Hope this clears that up a little for you.
Chezz

This is by way not the only means, just the ones off the top of my head.
THw withdrawals often last longer than the "Official stats" of 7-10 days.  There is definitely a secondary phase of withdrawal for those who have used for a long time (30-40 days).  I believe that both the acute and secondary phase should be medicated if necessary, if you are literally climbing the walls.  I have defite opinions about this, some quite controversial.
You're doing the same thing here as at the other thread...claiming to have helpful information but not revealing.  What's the point?
You just figured it out.  There IS no point.  There isn't now and there wasn't the last time the butterfly flew in.
Think of it as sort of an OXY from a MORON.
Don't let it bother you.  In another few days, she'll **** enough people off where she'll get banned again.  And when that happens, it'll take her all summer to figure out a new screen name.
No, it won't.  Your true name is Narcissus.  

What the hell are you doing here?  You claim to know everything and offer yourself as some prophet of the complicated & controversial questions pertaining addiction.  However, you'll only divulge your precious bullshit if people address the questions to you directly on the forum, bringing the attention around to yourself again.  You don't offer support and you don't ask questions because you already know everything. So, what are you doing here?

Honey, you can change your name but you can't change your soul.

Yeah, definitely use a medicated withdrawal, unless you are superwoman.

I wouldn't worry about addiction to Methadone if you take itin the absolute smallest amounts possible, and for as little time as possible, like it sounds you are doing. If you still can't handle the pain, try switching to low levels of Darvon, titrating as quickly as you are able.
to BS.
methadone to darvon,
darvon is as useless as asperin.

thanks for the BS  ----BS
Hey BS,
If you got Hippee pissed off, you know you have issues. Cause he wouldn't post a mean word to someone if they personally attacked him.
So you might want to just either go TROLL another forum. OR let whatever you have to share out.

THIS IS NOT A GAME, THIS IS NOT A GUESS THE **** WHAT I HAVE TO SAY. THIS IS A FORUM FOR THE EXCHANGE OF KNOWLEDGE, CARE, AND SUPPORT, NONE OF WHICH YOU HAVE SHOWN.

SO MOVE ON OR GET ON WITH IT...

Chezz
Methadone (in really small doses)will probably work for this particular case, and maybe Darvon, too.  It will not work for you though.  It is always an individual matter/circumstance of getting clean.  You know that, if you are who you say you are.  Hey, in some ways the easiest kick is the involuntary one.  I am trying to help those people who want to kick voluntarily.  It is harder than being locked up in some ways, easier in others.  Long term recovery is a totally different matter.   Just don't be so sure all your propoganda is "right" either.  

I see we have another smartass here. Hello BS, I am bmac. I have been here since last summer and I have to tell you people like you won't cut it around here. And before you spout back I will say I don't know you from any other forums but Don't think this forum will put up with someone spoutin' BS. Believe me it won't happen. First off you spouted about people on maintenance then everytime someone posted back to you they got this text book **** from you. Who are you and what do you want here? Like you would really tell me!! How about you and Rachael Hunter hooking up and boring yourselves to death. What a troll!!!!!!!!!!!
O.K., so where do you disagree with the textbook?
Disagree with the textbook? What textbook is that? You have posted that 'you' can help all these poor drug addicts but all you have done is post one liners and alot of BS. That is what I meant in my previous post, you aren't saying anything.
One thing I said was that withdrawing from the physical part is easy.
what do you mean when you say the physical part of w/d is easy? are you meaning that after the physical suffering and i mean suffering one tends to forget and then the drugs start calling to you to them,the sedution.i always suggest to people as i did to write a diary during the physical part so people can read latter when they start to get tempted again,it helps. or a recording so you can hear it in your voice how you felt. its very efective
Definitely cool.
so the Ego meets the Id...

don't you have some battery operated device to occupy your time? or could you at least limit yourself to one thread that others can ignore...
Sorry, I did not realize that your views controlled in this forum, or that "strangers" could not enter and say whatever the **** they want.  You working for the Man, right?
Dear BSills,

You came, you spouted nonsense, and you frustrated and angered the truly sincere and caring.

It is time for you to go.

What you have been saying is nothing or nonsense.

Withdrawal is probably the most physical and mental pain, agony, and torture than anything else I've ever experienced in my 50 years.  An apt analogy would be living in Dante's Hell.

What you have said is totally wrong and nothing except counterproductive.  You're not wanted or needed or welcome here.  Haven't you gotten that message after reading all the comments against you?  And now obviously your button has been pushed for you're resorting to profanity and that further diminishes your position - if that were at all possible.

Do us all a big favor and climb back under the rock from whence you came and don't come back.

Sincerely,

VicoWithdrawing (speaking for myself and all others)
Roxy,

It would be a mistake for anyone to tell you how long your withdrawals will last.  We each of us are different - different drugs, dosages, lengths of addiction, body type, mental attitude, etc. etc. etc.

Personally, today is my 5th clean day away from up to 10 Vicoprofen (7.5 mg Hydrocodone) per day washed down by three or four pints of beer. And I did that for about a year.  I was going through 100 pills every two weeks.

I'm a 50 year old 200 lb. male.  My last pills were last Wednesday at Noon with a few beers.  I quit cold turkey.  I started beginning to feel the W/D that evening.  Thursday and Friday were the living Hell that you know only too well.  I did hit the health food store on Saturday and loaded up on Vitamins, Minerals, and the other Thomas Recipe stuff.  Also, I took 10 mg. Librium to diminish the anxiety.  By yesterday, my fourth clean/sober day I was much better but still lethargic and without motivation or energy.

Today is my 5th day.  I felt perfectly normal all day and even was able to work 8 hours and then ride my bicycle after work for an hour.

So, for me the nightmare ended on the 5th day.

I realize I still have a long way to go to thoroughly cleanse my body but the important thing is my answer to your question.  You too will pass through the curtain of Hell and back into the light.  Hang tough!  I made it with the help of my loved ones and this web site.  You can do it!

Sincerely and Good Luck,

VicoWithdrawing

P.S. In addition to Vicoprofen I had a regular supply of 10 mg. Lorcet.  I was hooked on 10 mg Percocet a couple years ago and the withdrawal was much worse.  I guess Oxycodone (which gave me a better buzz) also is harder to quit.
what text do you speak of.
what is the easy part.
what is the hard part.

you could try to make some sense.

i am an addict i have spent counless years clean.
i have spent  alot of time working  with people in
rehabs, detoxs, and half way houses.

getting clean , when a person wants to is not as easy as  you
make it sound, lots of people want to be clean and lots of people
are in jail because they could not get clean, lots are dead.
getting clean begins with wanting to , the rest is sort of
like a miricle or divine intervention.
that is just those addicts who just use for useing sake.
there are those that suffer from severe , chronic pain,
they have to manage life with very powerful meds.
if you are going to post here at least make some sense.
share from your experence, and try not to speak down to people.
what we do here is support each other where we are.
when someone is ready to get clean , we are there .
if someone is struggling to get clean we are there .
if someone has to take meds for pain we are there.
if someone is on matnence we are the for them.
we do not judge them . we have empthy, we have compassion.
we have understanding.
we do not have expectation for them to live up to.

hippy
An enpowering post, hippee - you speak for many of us. The important issue is, we're all here for the same reason - some recovered, some still using, some still struggling somewhere in between. We come here for understanding and support, and in return we hope to be able to understand and support others, cause "there for the grace of God walk I". We're all in the same boat, basically. I honestly don't know where I'd be right now without all the great people on this forum, and another forum hosted by Mrs. Rat and Suzieneedshelp. Seems I learn something new everyday, and I don't take this for granted. When someone like BS comes in and "shakes" up the forum with a lot of bad vibes, it effects us all. Probably the best thing to do is ignore the posts, but like Thomas has stated, if there is newcomers here looking for help, **** like this can send 'em running for the hills, and this is what distresses me.  For all "newbies" here - please stick around.  The people here are probably 99.5% legitimate and caring. Try to look past the bullshit posts and zero in on the rest.  Love/Peace, Lisabet (A relasped, but "struggling to do better" user)....smile.
This is the SMARTEST ONE LINER YOU HAVE SAID YETTTTTTTTT!!!

!"strangers" could not enter and say whatever the **** they want!

We are an informal FAMILY here. So NO you can no come in here and say what the f... you want. Specifically cursing or saying anything derogatory to other members. You will be BANNED just for that.

Furthermore, you have yet to offer anything in the form of help, support, knowledge, or care. All of which EVERYONE here tries to provide.

Most "strangers" usually "lurk" for a while, get to know the people, the forum, and post when they feel comfortable to post. Then abide by the "mission" afformentioned of the forum.

NONE of which you have accomplished.

Come back when you have grown and matured...

Chezz
Better yet....don't come back at all. You're upsetting the delicate balance of this forum.  I truly wish you the best, but I don't feel you have our best interests at heart. You tend to draw people in with your suggestions, then chew them up and spit them out when they don't agree with you. This isn't what this forum is about.  Respectfully, Lisabet
Told ja! Now please please please  go away !
OH OH OH!!! I just love it.

I KNEWWWWWWWWWWWWW WE WERE ALL MISSING THE SPECIAL ANSWER TO OUR PROBLEMS!!!

ITS ANOTHER F#$t^ING GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY WHY WE ARE ALL HOOKED ON PAIN KILLERS.

THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT, NOW LEAVEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Chezz
Don't dignify the attention ***** with an acknowlegemnt.

Never wrestle with a pig - you both get dirty; and the pig likes it.
YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!  Jerri
MY GOD YOU DIDDDDDD HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!  NOBODY HAS SAID IT BETTER!!!!!!!  Hats off to you, my friend! Now, will everyone PLEASE IGNORE THE *****?  You are all feeding the above referred-to "pig" by ANY response! The End!  Kudos to you, Finkboy Phd!     Kat

Oh, I am sorry I missed that part about not "cussin" and being derogatory to other people.

What's that you called me?  "Pig" "*****" "know it all", "you need more of, or a different med", and your countless other very good attempts at invalidation and just being a nasty "A".

Don't put wors in my mouth and don't tell people there is no message just because you can't see it.

Maybe, instead of just being comfortable with a "family", you should be a little less concerned (but not completly) try to get better, not be so worried about "tie scores and everyone going home happy".  Someone should come away with this with a desire to really get clean, and soon.  I don't know it all, but I know what I know, and right now, it might be "more" than you.

Are you a lawyer?  

Why can't you deal with being shook up a bit.  I am so happy people are mad at me, and attempting to invalidate any message that it is "easy".  Addicts can't stand hearing that it is easy. It is all psychology/spiritual, and sometimes it is a good thing to be shook up.  Maybe one person will believe that it is "easy" or easier than they feared, and they will get some clean time.  Maybe not you, or you right now, or maybe even me, but aren't you a little concerned that some person can do it just because they believe they can.  Junkies psyche themselves out a lot any way.  I know, because I am one, and willing to be a bit deprogramed from negative thinking.  F'ckin'g government probably wants some of us to stay "down" right now, maybe they got you beat, but maybe not someone else.

Sorry to intrude on the comfortable family atmosphere.  There is some good stuff in the message, though.
There is some good stuff in the message, though.

Gosh, I'm sorry to ask but which message were you referring to?

Why can't you deal with being shook up a bit.

We embrace it & oft wind up discussions with a tie score & everyone goes home happy.  Thus far, however, your posts have been nothing short of drivel & the only shakin' up has been from our anger, offense & your supercilious self righteous know-it-all attitude.  

What we do not appreciate - a trait you've proven far too adept at - is the following:

Someone who comes bareling into our homestead, guns ablaze & immediatetely sets herself up as "our savior".

I am so happy people are mad at me, and attempting to invalidate any message that it is "easy".

If you are truly an addict, clearly you need more of, or a different med.

Addicts can't stand hearing that it is easy. It is all psychology/spiritual, and sometimes it is a good thing to be shook up. Maybe one person will believe that it is "easy" or easier than they feared, and they will get some clean time. Maybe not you, or you right now, or maybe even me, but aren't you a little concerned that some person can do it just because they believe they can. Junkies psyche themselves out a lot any way. I know, because I am one, and willing to be a bit deprogramed from negative thinking. F'ckin'g government probably wants some of us to stay "down" right now, maybe they got you beat, but maybe not someone else.

Sorry to intrude on the comfortable family atmosphere.

hey b sills,
im  a an addict and i am clean for the last year thanks to some help here at the fourm.
i was clean for 17 years in na  before i had to take pain meds.
im not going to call you names , but one thing is for sure
SELF PRAISE IS NO RECOMONDATION.
i must say for someone who has posted a bunch , you have really said almost nothing.
for those of us who have gone through the difficult struggle of withdrawls  from pain meds,  we have the experence of the nightmare of restless leg and body, living a few weeks with no energy,  suffered the severe depression that comes with getting off the pain meds. and we share it with who ever ask.
one of the thing we realize is  ( DON'T GIVE ADVICE UNLESS ASKED
OR THE PERSON WILL LOSE THIER RESPECT FOR YOU.)
if you know anything about addicts  , then you should know we are a sensitive lot, we hate being contradicted, we can's stand a know it all. by the way that is the 1st line in proverbs--
nobody likes a know it all.!!!!!!!!
so if ya really want to stick around and help yourself and others
you couls start with a new handle. and a new approch next time.
there are a lot of new people showing up here all the time.
if you can be helpful then do it by sharing about yourself.
and where you have been , where you have come from , what you overcame and how your getting better.
hippy!!!!!!!!!! ps. we reap what we sow.
there are a lot of very experenced people here, who have been to hell and back. people with a ton of great information and
experence.
i hope things  change, regarding you stay here, so far it has been a bust.  CHANGE---- THAT IS WHAT RECOVERY IS
POSITIVE ACTIVE CHANGE IN OUR ATTITUDES AND ACTIONS
BROUGHT ON BY WORKING AND PRACTICING AND LIVING SPIRITUAL
PRINCIPLES.

LIKE OPENMINDEDNESS, HONESTY, KINDNESS, HUMILTY, WILLINGNESS,
ACCEPTAMCE.
Hello, my friend. You are truly the Albert Schweitzer of the Substance Abuse Forum, favoring the savages with a light from above.

Thomas
Generally. Your points are well taken.
We are not all on this forum for the same reason.  Some do not really want to get clean right now, some are having trouble with relapsing, some need a family. But my posts have really been focused on those who FEAR the physical part of WD's so much that they can't even try anymore.)  I have already seen posts on this forum which show that my approach has caused some to appreciate my intentions, if nothing else.  And I am sure that outside of this forum, were we to meet, or were I to meet some of the people that are being a "bit" hostile, we would actually probably be fast friends.
How about being a little nicer sounding, I think that's why the hostilities. On my part anyway.
your post  
makes sense, tho i would say it is a tad presumtious
to know exactly how people feel about withdrawls.
thing i do know is i can be wrong, when i start to take other peoples inventory.
i have learned to acept people were they are, and support them,
and try to be a good example. it is our example that really has an effect on others.
i understand that people , go through changes, when getting off drugs, in the beginning , we think everyon is on drugs and that we will never get of them , and some of us don't want to be off them.
then comes a time where after gaining some information,
we beging to think maybe we could get clean.just maybe.
then we hear other suffering  and we start to listen
because we can relate to pain and suffering.
we can relate to the drugs not working like they used to for us.
as addicts we have a tendency to argue both side of an arguement.
they may say they want to be on metadone foerever while
posting here , and the next day when they are at the metadone clinic, they will argue with a person there about how there is a way out and that we con get off it.
i think it is about getting the right information, and getting rid of misinformation.
for instance, I WAS ALWAYS TOLD IF YOU STOP USEING DRUGS EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT, that is hog wash . the reason i started useing drugs was because everything was not alright.
so in the mean time we  do our best, and do all the things we learned in kindergarden don't hurt no one . don't lie ' don't
hit nobody,  eat, clean, sleep and be nice to others.

peace!!!!!!!!!hippy
if i am not the problem there is no solution.
it's not what i used that makes me an addict it is why i use.
here, at whatever hour you come ,
you will find light and help and
human kindness

DR. A.S.

peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hippy
Wow! That's pretty much all I can say. I have read every thread on this subject matter and I have a hard time believing what I am seeing. Someone (BS) actually thinks physical withdrawl (withdrawal) is EASY?

I won't go into my story, I posted a question earlier in the day today if anyone is interested in reading it. But during my 2 weeks in hell, I actually had thoughts of killing to steal  pain meds...Does that sound easy to you? I am the kind of guy that has to catch the bee flying around my house and let it free rather than splat it...And I was thinking murder! Pain doesn't quantify detox...AGONY is the only word for it.

I've mentioned this a couple of times today and I am telling you guys it did wonders for me...I am a 4year daily, 200mg hydrocodon abuser (that is 20 10mg vicodon hp's a day)

My doctor prescribed me a NON benzo anti-depressant named effexor. He prescribed it in large dose (75mg 3x daily) Not only did it COMPLETELY stop the screaming legs and arms...It has removed the craving for the narcotic...('course I don't have cravings for anything else either...smokes, food, chocholate, sex) :-) It really turns you into a zombie for the first couple days but IT DOES, REALLY REALLY DOES, stop the worst of the skin crawling restlessness of the physical withdrawls and even helps the psyc withdrawl (withdrawal) as well. I wold recommend this to anyone willing to take this step of faith.

God Bless all...I am a part of this family now and am always here if you need to talk.

Rob
Hey Rob--WELCOME to our family......!! Your story is powerful, in that it shows the depths of despair we addicts finally fall into, and the sheer will and determination it takes to turn our lives around. Be proud of yourself for all that you've done already!!  The effexor sounds like it did wonders for you.  I think it affects everyone differently, but it certainly  is worth a try.  I take Wellbutrin SR 150, and I think it helps w/ narc  and nicotine cravings together.
    I hope you keep posting and gradually reveal more about yourself and your situaion. It helps all of us to hear where we've been and where we are now. (That's an AA quote.....:-)  I wish you well in your continued recovery, Rob.  If I can help in any way, let me know.  Peaz
Thank you peaz...Your comments really help to strengthen my commitment to stay 'on the wagon.'

It's not that I don't want to share my story, it's just that I already have. I posted a question yesterday titled 'not a question; a thank you' in which I went into my whole sorted past and my road to recovery. I've been freed from the pill bottle for four weeks now. Physical withdrawl (withdrawal) is over for me now (took about 14 days to clear)But psyco withdrawl (withdrawal) is still heavy...My brain realizes it isn't getting it's daily dose and it is still pissed off about it!

As you say, different medicine affects people differently. My doctor told me that even at 300mg, Wellebutrin wouldn't work for me because it takes time (up to a week) for it to get into the system and work properly. Effexor is fast acting, long lasting and quite strong--to me-- even at 75mg. I guess you could liken it to: Which is stronger? 35mg of codine or 5mg of hydrocodon?

But, go with what you know, my friend...If the Wellebutrin works for you than don't trade it for GOLD!

All my best! Rob
Forgive me for not seeing your post(s) above...You did, indeed give more details of your plight.  Hey, Rob--Nice MD you had there!!   Want to share his name and location??? LOL   I shouldn't even JOKE about such a jerk--you have to wonder what goes on in these "caregiver's" minds as they write script after script....And, at some point,  (especially after FOUR years, as you say) he MUST have seen the deterioration of your condition.  Put on the rose-colored glasses, Mr. MD, and nevermind a code of ethics...  I worked as a CPhT in a pharmacy, and I can tell you firsthand of cases where, after the doctor has fostered a robust and  long-lasting addiction, that he has suddenly had a change of heart; cut off the patient, and left them to flounder in their confusion and misery.  I think there ARE good doctors---just that the "bad" ones wreak such havoc!!
    You are right on the money in your assessment of emotional cravings being the hardest flame to put out....Fact is, Rob, I really think they lie there, smouldering, for the rest of our  addictive lives, and it's up to us to pay attention and be aware of how insidious they are.  Like the RX that each person ends up w/ that  he finds helps with these maladies,(effexor, in your case)  the combative angles that we each embrace vary as widely.  That's why this forum is so helpful;  we can take the cumulative information and use what we can.
   I'm rambling....Stay strong in your resolve and keep posting!!    peaz
You are far from rambling, my friend. I very much like --and need-- someone to talk to about my ordeal.

Let me tell you what was going through this particular MD's mind...($$$$$$$$$$$$money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) If I wouldn't have stopped going to see him he would've been able to retire on my habit alone! He was not my MD. Just someone I heard about that had no scruples.

When I had enough, I went to my personal MD and he thanked me for coming to him. He told me Narc addiction is not uncommon and treated me as if I was his only patient. I am in his debt. He refused to allow me to taper; told me to "cut and run" But as I stated, he prescribed meds to me that did a wonderful job controlling the depression, angst, crazy thoughts and the crawling skin, arms and legs. I still felt like I had been run over by a truck for the first two weeks but it was so much different than the first three days that I tried C/T. On top of feeling like ****, I was convulsing in nervous fits, crying at the drop of a hat (I'm a 6'2" 220lb male) and I couldn't sleep even though I was so tired it hurt to lift my legs to walk.

All in all, I feel as if I can fight this beast even though it towers above me and is constantly whispering in my ear. Especially with help from people like you. (You'll notice I'm very long winded!) :-)

Rob
Hey Rob, this is the other 'peaz' in the pod, percs.......HA
I've read your deal, and am very happy for you, where you are at today!!  Many people here helped me so much when i dtoxed off a 20+/day percocet habit(many years), last August 19th.  I'm kind of surprised your MD didn't help you with a taper; but i guess it really doesn't matter, as you are off of them anyway. CONGRATS!!

You will get tons of helpful and supportive comments here, like peaz "smouldering" comment.  I remember several months back, when i was off percs for 4 or 5 months, Thomas reminded me to look at this addiction like a boxing match.....that "the beast" is rejuvenating in the corner; just reminding me to stay on the offensive.  I also believe, along with that awareness, you shouldn't necessarily put all your focus/energy on "it".....allowing you to move on with your life.  Its all a series of steps and balance.

Anyways, i should get back to work, but i wanted to introduce myself, and pass on a huge congrats.  I'm genuinely excited for you, as i know things will continue to improve over the next few days/weeks/months, in your journey.

Take Care
i've never done oxycontin before but i snorted a little bit yesturday and now i feel terrible i feel cold and shaky and kind of disoreanted i feel horrible. but again ive never done this before how long will this last?
Welcome!

I know you are new and don't realize this, but you are posting on a thread that is from 4 years ago. You will not get many responses because of that. Hit the button at the bottom that says "Back to Fuorum". Then at the top on the left, you will see "Post a question". Re-post what you just wrote here and you will get responses.

Like I said, since this one is old, it will get lost and I don't want you to think no one is responding to you.

Hope to see your new post!

Take care.
So can you make it clear to me in plain simple words, How long does the withdrawal from methdone last the worst part.
7 days or less??
this depends on dose and amount of time on it...7 days?  no way! 3-6 weeks hun....
WOW! I have heard alot in my 40 yrs but this bsills (wonder what the bs stands for) is blowing my mind. roxy..I'd like to tell you that ANY form of methadone is wicked ! It's a horrible drug especially to get off pills.Please don't use it. I have been clean from methadone almost 2 yrs. it is withdrawals straight from hell. i'll pm you. As for you miss bs thing. Please save it and spare us your vast knowledge. Do you think there are nothing but morons here!!! Do you not think anyone here has any clue or intelligence?! From what i have read here is the first time I have felt angry with anyone. i may not agree with what every single thing that is said and thats just normal..but you....you have issues and this is not the place test out your bs! please don't help anyone else.
ok...I just realized the date? hahaha either way i hope she isn't here still.
LOL!!!  thank goodness SHE is gone, can you imagine dealing with THAT!?   UGH!
we would all go nuts...LOL!
5 DAYS????   Withdraw can and does last months and dont let anybody tell you otherwise... the people that say that have NEVER been an addict. good luck
                                                        painterbob
I agree,it can last month's,and one thing I want to make clear,alot of people have trouble taking advice from someone who has never been through addiction,including myself,I try to have an open mind to all advice but it's very difficult for me to take advice from someone who has never been through it,even family.
Hi I detoxed from oxys useing the methadone. I did 25mgs of methadone the first day 20 the 2nd, 25 the third, 10 the 4th and 5 on th 5th and then stopped taking the methadone and all pills. I took oxys for a year and was able to get off this way with no withdrawals at all. I think you wont have a problem getting off with n withdrawals. do it the way your doing I guess. Try not to take the methadone longer then a week. if you become dependent on it the withdrawals will be worst then the ones from the oxys' I didnt take meth long enough to become dependent on it and it saved my life and got me off oxys without having to go through withdrawals or miss any work.
Wow it's nice to here your storys I can relate too. I'am withdrawling now and it *****! I feel like I am in a 90 year old body and I'm 35.I am taking IB profen and it doesn't seem to do anything. The restless legs are killing me I want to take a ax to them. LOL.Any suggestions what else I can do about the pain and the cramping it's been 1 week. I use to take percacet and solma for 5 years.
Welcome to the forum. Take a look at the Health Pages on the right side of page. Look for the Thomas recipe and the Amino  Acid Protocol posts. Hylands makes a good OTC for restless legs. Also try posting on a new post. Copy yours and go to top and 'Post a Question'
What about roxy withdralws? I am about 24 hours in and I honestly don't feel too bad, a little achey (achy), and a little shaky, but otherwise not too bad. I have been on them for about a month, but in the last week I have cut down a lot, went from a whole pill everyday to half. Is it going to get worse or am I in the bad part already?
I'm a 8 year user of oxy's. I'm talking I could go through 200 in a week. I was getting my supply by prescription and spending thousands of dollars on the street. It' never enough. I've just about lost everything. Anyway I found a doctor that treats addiction with a drug called Suboxone. This stuff is great you have almost no withdrawals. It is bearable and I know what it feels like to not be able to get your fix. Find a doctor in your area, the only thing is you have to be in withdrawal on your first visit. Believe me after he puts that little orange pill that dissolves under your tongue, you leave fully functional. Then you continue on the meds. Works great. I have been clean 1 year now. I'm almost off the Suboxone.

Good Luck!
okay so everyone can call me kat. i came across this page n it looks like it has decent advise n support, which i could use. I managed to get myself addicted to many different types of pills loracets, loratabs, oxy, perc, vikaden, xanax bars. i am now trying to quit and i have some questions i would like to have anwsered if possible.

so far i have been clean for 2 weeks and two days during the first week i was shakey (shaky) and i was coughing alot i had no energy and was very hard for me to get to sleep. the second week had the same stuff still but this past friday i woke up and i was super dizy and my whole body was shaking, it was like that all day. last night i was trying to sleep about 11:30 i opened my eyes n i got the same dizy an shakey (shaky) feeling i had friday. i texted a friend i have an told him i was feeling like that again he suggested i just lay on my back not to close my eyes and just breath normally. i don't like the feeling i keep getting, i asked him when the withdrawls would stop he said they last for a week to a week and a half? (does anybody know how long they last? was he correct?) i told him its been over 2 weeks.. he said it's not withdraws mabe i have anxiety problems? he told me to check on how long the withdrawls last cuz he might be wrong on that.

does anybody know how long withdrawls will last?
is he right about the anxiety, if he is what do i do for that?

i would like to know how long withdrawls last?
Hi kat, Some people don't think we should be responding to a post that was started so long ago. I guess we're supposed to be start new one on our own. I think its healthy.
These are signs of withdrawal yet, or you could have another minor ailment because your immune system is low. If the symptoms persist, you should get them checked.

Good luck,

Upnorthguy
It would be good to start a new post so the members can get to know you. Also, the older posts get moved back to the archives so a new post sticks around longer.
thanks for the reply! i don't get why you say that people don't think you should reply to post from so long ago? i'm new to this website that was my first post ever. but anywho thanks for the reply
Hi kat,
If we have a question or if want to make a comment, we should start new at the top where it asks to post a question in green. I think there is also a value in some of these old posts for people see and learn from what someone might have commented on, even if it has been close to ten years. How are you feeling? Are you sleeping yet? I'm not. I've had a busy couple of days and I'm pooped out. The aches are better today. Hopefully both of us will sleep a little bit better tonight.

Take care kat,

UNG
yey,,,i see the value of the posts from ten years ago as well..but none of them are still here...hope they r well
i have been taking anywhere from 250 to 400 mg of oxys on a daily basis i was originally prescribed drug for nerve pain from several surgeries. now between prescription and street i have reached this point quit cold turkey at noon today can anybody tell me what to expect and in what time frame i can feel it aleady  
hi ung! well as for me i'm feeling okay i guess. still not sleeping either. i've been pretty busy these past days havn't had the time to get on, sorry for the long wait for a reply. how have you been? i'm not sure when i will be on again. hope you feel better soon and happy holidays!

Kat
I have been taking pills for five years now.. it all stated out when i broke my foot, they prescribed me 15 roxies.. and then i took them for a couple of years.. 'then i up graded to the 30 mg roxicodone did that for a couple years. Then i broke my shoulder and had surgery. after that they placed me on oxycontion for another year up to 240 mg a day. and i was like that for a year.! so i just finialy said to myself. I need to just grow up and not do this anymore.. how nice would it be to just wake up in the morning and feel fine instead of taking a pill before you bruch your teeth... it just ***** my withdrawls went for about 5 days day two and three you want to die but if you make it past day three you will start feeling better. And im telling you this was the best decision i have ever made in my life. i feel just great dont have to worrie about fades anymore ... its awsome you need to just do it. dont be a *****... **** get it over with yeah its one **** week of your life but after that it feels like you have been set free from the bulls ****....Best of luck to anyone that is going to do it... dont give up the min you give up is the min before you succeed..
There are 2 options......4-5 Days of tuffin' it out..OR...Get yourself some suboxone.....I kicked a hard core 3 year addiction to roxie's 30, I was taking 4-5 a day!!
I kick the addiction and NEVER looked back with the help of SUBOXONE 2's...in 3 days....(Day 1 must start at least 12 hours after your last pill) Day 1- I placed the tab below under my tongue when I started to wig out, jumpy legs, restlessness.....Let it Melt completely, swallow it all down....and amazingly pOw in 20 minutes you are like a new person...I took one a day for 3 days and the day 4 I was STRAIGHT ....I didnt want to take anything else ever again!!!
I finally dug myself out....

A-Dog
I just want to say that every single person here is an amazing being. i am still addicted. i am very afraid to stop. i was fun at first, but then fun turned to just doing one to make the pain stop. withdrawl (withdrawal) is not for the faint hearted. thank you all for giving me a bit of hope that i maybe could do it too.

Thank you.
Hi I am 17 years old I have been on hydros for 7.5 specs in particular I was takin at least four a day I know this don't sound like much but I'm not a very big person I have been off them for six days now still have joint pain and feel tired all the time and really cloudy thinkin can someone give me some insight on how long this will last I'm so ready to be the old me again
I am starting my detox and I am going to keep a journal of it, so every time i think of using, i can remeber the **** i felt through it. I was prescibed to Hydro 10's for a car wreck, 2 years later and i was taken 80mg Oxys a day. Finally got sick of it and went to the Methadone clinic. Don't get me wrong Methadone and Suboxone help a lot, but just a FYI, it stays in your system for up to 2 weeks to 6 months! When i was detoxing off of Methadone, it was like I had wasted my time, lasted 2 months clean, still having withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms), which brings me to now, after those months i promised myself i wouldn't get back into them, but Have you Detoxed off of Methadone? ONE SCARY THING TO DO, which made me relpase to taken hydro 10's agian, been taken them on and off for 4 months now, I quit last week for 4 days, I couldn't take the feeling of being sick anymore, and i know i was almost a day 5, but them pills will drag you back in and suck you dry. Today it has been a day and 12 hours of the Detox. My best advice for anyone is, if you know someone that will enable you, just delete that number, I sat around all day before typing this thread, debating, should i go look for more, or just quit and live my life? I have chosen to quit comepletly im so tired of this hell! I can just say that after quiting and going back for 4 days and deciding this is what needs to be done, I have to do it, This is why im here posting this thread, to remind me of the pain and hell i went through, and to relapse again, it a awful feeling, but i must say it makes you think about your life ALOT! My nose is been runing and  eyes watering, can hardly eat a thing, stomach is killing me. I hope when i look back at my threads day by day, I can feel some sort of self satisfaction reading how much better i got day by day. I also went to the doc, he prescrided me Clodine .01mgs to help with the Opiate with draws, and boy they knock you out! i take them 2 times a day, it really helps me sleep, also he prescribe me Klopins 2mgs to help with the withdraws, he was going to prescibe me xanax, but i did my research and saw they are more addictive than pain meds.
Maybe someone can help me. I have been using about 5-6 30mg oxys per day for 4 years now i think for my back and neck, even after surgery didn't help. With the laws changing to control the flow of pain meds here in Florida, I had to go 3 weeks without my meds while in the transition to a new pain clinic.

Here is my problem. The first 4 days, was non stop vomiting. Even my own saliva sliding down my throat was enough to make me want to vomit. The slightest movement. During the second day, the rancid smelling sweating started, my skin was always soaking wet, so the slightest breeze caused me to freeze. I could wrap up because I would be too hot, but I could not wrap up because I would be cold.

On the 3rd day, the leg pains started, I couldn't stop moving them, this is not excluding the arms suddenly shaking out of my control and then flailing off to the side. I was in fear that I would lay out my own husband in the middle of the night.

After a week, this all subsided, I am pretty sure that my being cold all the time now is because I do not have my meds in my system, so my body must learn to acclimate.

Here is the primary issue I so desperately need help with. It has been nearly 3 weeks, and I still cannot hold down anything solid. My meals consist of vitamins and bottles of Ensure, which passes through my system in what seems like minutes, which I know is not possible, but tell that to my out of whack digestive system.

How long does it take for the digestive system to finally normalize? I know that I have been on the meds for a very long time, but I was always monitored my a physician. Everything I read says that this should have been over and done with over a week ago, but my lack of toilet paper and burning 'roids say different..hehe

Help please?
I am new here and have been reading the posts. I would like to share my story and any support would be much appreciated.
I have lived with Multiple Sclerosis for the past 12 years and during that time (about 6 yrs ago) I started having pain throughout my body that just wouldn't go away. My neurologist put me on a low does of Lortab. He would give me a new script about every 2 mos. I did stay with the dosage that was prescribed and did well but then he moved away to start his practice else where. The next neurologist said he would not prescribe me any type of pain meds but tried muscle relaxers, which was horrible. I then tried seeing a different neurologist and found the same thing. They didn't want to create an addict in me I am guessing.
I took it upon myself to get my records and go online to find away of getting my pain meds and I found it, though costly, I did get them for the next 3 mos. During that time my husband was having severe back pain and started pain management for it. He was going for the steroid shots and didn't care about the pain meds so as you can imagine I was more than happy to take them off his hands. He was given 90 Lortab 10's per month then about 2 yrs later his back got worse and they started giving him 120 per month. I had went from taking about 3 lortab 5's to 4-5 Lortab 10's per day and all of this over a 5-6 year span.
During those years I was faced with mental abuse so every time I wanted to quit those emotions would come back and I realized I now had gone from taking the meds for pain to pushing those feelings down so I didn't have to feel.
Recently my husband had back surgery and is no longer getting meds. I decided I will not go out on the streets to get them. I have been clean now, completely, for 5 days. I had gotten clean for about 2 weeks a few weeks ago but a family member had some in her cabinet so I took 4 and broke them up into 8 to try and help with the withdraws. Well now I am determined to try and get through these symptoms but I am finding the hardest part at this point is I have a son who is stationed in Iraq. I did not realize how much this medication was helping (well, what I thought was helping) me not to think of the danger he is in. I find myself crying a lot. I am on Welbutrin  but it seems to make me anxious. I have the the lack of energy ( which comes with having MS too), diarrhea, feeling like I can't breathe. I just wanted to know if these symptoms will go away. I know I am in the midst of the fire right now and I just need to make it to the other side. I am thankful for this forum and support! God Bless.
Hi guys. My names "Jay" for all intentional pourposes. I have been struggling with this for 9 years. I'm in my 30's with wonderful kids and a professional job. I have tried suboxone, but was not really "ready". I am now... I am going to try the Thomas theory. I appreiciate the posts because there are items on the list that I think may really help. The energy issue has been something that I have not been able to master. Expecially with the  small children. Regardless of the way that I got here.... I am. I thank you all for the tips. Wish me luck. Unfortunatly, this is not my first go round. Just my first go round without suboxone. Sure I'll check in later. Thx to all. This is not a laughing matter. It is so serious an affects too many good people.
     I think I might add my personal experience here to help all of the addicts and dependents out there. I have had a couple of back surgeries and had to get off of the medication cold turkey and there are many ways to get off of it. The first time that I got off of vicodin norcos (10 pills a day) and now revently 40 mg oxycontin and 8mg dillaudids cold turkey. The first time I did not prepare and just quit and for almost 2 weeks I was shaking like a crack head, vomitting, dianrhea, blurred vision, cold sweats, hot/cold flashes, etc. and lost 20 lbs. The scene I went through was horrific...

I just decided to quit a week ago and this time did some research and prepared and 95% of the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms are absent. Its been a week and I have only had a hard time sleeping and some restlessness. SO ALL OF YOU WHO WANT TO GET OFF OF OPIATES LISTEN HERE!!!
  2 Days before quiting go to a local natural remedy store like whole foods, lassens, etc. The stores are where most likely your local Vegans shop at. Go there and pick up these items: Valerian Root (help to relax), Melatonin (help to sleep), Arnica Montana 30x (musles soreness), Ignatia Amara 30x (emotional upset), Ipecacuanha 30 x (nausea and vomitting), A blood detoxification, and if possible have a doctor prescibe promethazine (extreme nausea). Hylands homeopathic (the company that sells the miracles above) sells most of that stuff mentioned above. I also wanted to add to help with the muscle spasms and restlessness there is a spray from "Bach original flower essence" This spray may not work immediatelly so start it 1 day before you quit. Drink plenty of water... If for some reason you do have mild symptoms take a hot bath or hop in a hot tub. Do what I said in the this post and you will be fine. The trick is to get these into your system 2 days before you quit and keep taking them when you stop. I am on day 5 and feel no withdrawls at all, well maybe a little stiffness.The first time felt like death and now this time nothing. Take what I said and you will be 90% better that going cold turkey without any assistance. Alos the pills I mentioned above are super small pills that dissolve in youir mouth so if you feel like you have to puke these will enter your system fast and assist in the nauseaness...I hope this helps.Good luck... .
I have been taking like 30 to 60 mg of op,s (don't even know what they are really called) for about 7 weeks, when I stop I start having withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms after about 12 hours. How long will it last, and how bad will it get? Should I go to the doctor?
Repost your comment by going up to the top and hit the orange button to ask a question.  Copy and paste so you won't get missed.  This is really an old thread and you might not be seen for the help you want.
Hi everyone I am new to this site....I have been taking Row's for about 5 months maybe 10-15 mgs a day and I am soooo terrified of withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms. I am on day 2 of not taking anything and it is starting to set in. Nauseous irritable the runs. Is it gonna get worse?? Help! Should I taper down??
They gave me Darvon in rehab the first time around. It did work a little BUT IM PRETTY SURE THEY RECALLED THE MEDICINE BECAUSE IT WAS KILLING PEOPLE!  
My addiction started when I was young and had my wisdom teeth pulled and they prescribed me Vicoden 10mg's.  The pills took my pain away and made me feel good inside; warm and fuzzy, like nothing could get in my way.  I was productive and felt great.  My addiction went on and off for about 5 years until I was introduced to a friend who was prescribed 30mg Roxy's.  I remember the first time I took one how I felt.  I'm ashamed to say it, but I was obsessing over this new powerful, "miracle" pill.  That was about two years ago.  Ive been a constant user, sometimes more than others.  I have tried to quit but always come back to the addiction. I'm always making excuses for myself.  Suboxone has worked well for me, but again, I always go back.  Now with my first child on the way, a great girlfriend, beautiful home, and professional career, I NEED TO STOP.  This is so destructive to my life.  I miss being normal and not depending on this drug.  I'm getting help today.  I've got a few numbers of local detox centers.  By sharing my story and reading other peoples helps me a lot.  I'm hoping to put this bulls*** in the past.  I've got too much to look forward to in my life.  Good luck to anyone who is trying to quit.  Many people do it and are successfull! Its not imposible!!!!
Hi, welcome here :) this quite an old thread, you can copy your post and start a new thread but anyway, i  wanted to say  congrats on the decision you have taken.. i wish you all the best at the detox center and never give up !! we can do it !
yes im new here but i came off methadone 5days ago, i went only as high as 90 mg from coming off 3 80mg OXY a day and to be honest i proly would have been fine staying at 60mg of methadone but as a user we always go higher to reach our next high. Anyway i've gotten alot of info from these sites so i just thought it might help someone else if i shared my story. like i said i was at 90mg of methadone and stayed there for 4yrs when i finally had enough of the liquid hadcuffs i started coming down 5mg a week got to 50mg stayed there for about 2 months then pd to come down 3mg 1 week and 2mg the second week then back and forth till i reached 15mg then i went all the way down to 1mg , i went all the way down to 1mg because i was scared to get off on anything higher. so now here i am 5 days clean, my withdrawls have not been unbareible more or less flu like symptoms getting a little better every day im off 2 weeks from work hoping that will be enough to get over it! this is my first time going through thisand hoping my last , ive been taking a multi vit and drinking lots to help flush my system. so there u have it my story, I truly beleve your alot better off comming off 1mg  , pluz gives u enough time to metally prepare ur self
In my opnion methadone is just as addictive as the roxys. I kicked cold turkey and I am not gonna lie its hell......on the up side I no longer waste my money on pillls. My symptoms where like the flu with lots of leg pain and restlessness.Hot showers helped some.Good luck to you
i started to take methadone after i quit roxys and they are ten times more addictive than oxys perks or any thing like them. i took them for a month and my withdrwls were 50 times worse than they were for the roxys. Methdones are the worst thing to start taking unless its for a short time suboxine are allot better and they get you used to living without have to be high. trust me ive been fighting my addictions for over a year now and i was doing roxys heavy for about a year xanax also help to take the edge off and help keep your mind off getting high but you have to space out the drugs you take or ull just get addicted to them
I have a little info on methadone, be careful taking it for more that 5 days, i wont help you beat the Percocet withdrawl (withdrawal) it will only take over your addiction in Its own way, i had to go thru the methadone clinic to get off of OC's after i broke my neck And back in an accident in may 2008, i was going to the mwthadone clinic from then all the way to may of 2010 i was on 110 mgs a day for a long time, granted it cost me 3600 a year just to dose And god knows How much time wasted And gas, anyhow this probably wont pertain to most of you but mayb someome can benefit from my post, anyhow when i got tired of going, i spoke with my counselor And tbey had no intentioms on ever dosing me down period, i went n to the hosp for vascular surgery And was penalized for not commin in to dose, so my clinic cut me from 110 to 66 Mg And every day after that it would go back up,but i felt ok on 66 so i decided to do a rapid dose down, i Did a ten day decrease of 7 Mg a day And the last day was 3 mg, and i figuref it was over after that, well the first WD symptoms didnt even sink in until ab three days of not taking it. I was tired no energy nor appetite, day 4 started with cold chills, but sweating at the same time, oily hands feet hair and everything, i took 2-3 showers a day, to feel clean, i was waking up about every hour n just wandered around the house restless, when i was in bed i couldnt keep my legs still, my joints all felt loose. My hands would stiffen up And almost felt like exorcist How they would bend And stay bent at the wrist. My legs would constantlu have to be stretched like i had just woken from a good nights sleep, it got worse And worse every day, i googled everything i could think, i called the clinic to *** How long is be sick And the one And only reaponse i got was " We dont know, no one ever calls us back to let us know"  then iknew i was totally alone, i stopped eating, And only drank enough water to keep me alive, i know everyomes diff so your WD may not last as long as mine did, but i know first hand that for me it took 7.5 weeks to remove myself from the couch, but honestly about a month after i quit every day got a little better, this isnt a sugestiĆ³n only my story but j smoked weed to gain an appetite and to sleep. Every day after if get a little more sleep, my reflexes wud become a little more normal, And eventually i was clean. Now im back on prescripciĆ³n pain killers for pain but i am veey careful, im able to take as prescribe and so far im doing just fine and its been almost 2 years, i know that multivitamins help but Its only to replace what your bodys losing,  i do know now that the medicina my children are on at night to counteract their adderal is also given for opiate withdrawl (withdrawal), its called " catapress" the generic is clonodine,if you need it you can tell your dr Its very cheap only 7$ a script and it will help, it is a blood pressure medication for adults, but Its also used to mellow out children on adderal and ritalin for adhd.  I hopeno one ever has to go thru what i did but if u want to get back to your old self Its inevitable. Ive been told exercising wholegoing thru WD and gots of water helps u sweat and flush it out 50% faster, honestly if ur withdrawling and have everyto breath your lucky, but i hope someone can find this post useful at some point.
I'm new to this forum thing..actually never been on one at all... I have been taking hydrocodone for about 10 years now. I have attempted to get off a few times but have never completely followed through.. But I usually only did it when I couldn't get them. I want to do this.. I want to be totally done with pain pills FOR GOOD!!!! I'm scared of the withdrawals... Today is going to be my first day totally without... I've been told to take methadone to help with withdrawals but I'm honestly too scared to get hooked to anything else too!! I really want to do this without another drug in place of it..does anyone have any ideas... Or any remedies that could help me lessen the withdrawals or speed up the withdrawal time?? I've been taking anywhere from 10-16 hydrocodone 10mg pills every day.. How long will the withdrawals last? What day will be the worst?? What day will I start feeling better?? Can I do this on my own!?? I want to be successful & overcome this horrible addiction that is running my life & ruining my life.. I hate having to depend on something to get through the day & if I don't have them I can't function.. I want to be happy again.. I want to feel normal..my family deserves that!!! I am determined but have no body to help me!! I've been trying to cover up the pain of losing my brother, sister & mother when they have each passed away.. But the meds aren't taking away the pain.. They are just causing me more pain & ruining my life .. I want to be the mom & wife they need & deserve... Don't get me wrong.. I feel like I'm a good Mom & my family is my whole life... But when I don't have any meds & feel like s*** that isn't fair to them!!  This has been going on for way to long & I want to start fresh & have a great future with my family,, please can anyone give me some good advice?? Thanks so much

Btw..I have been reading other comments from everyone & this is a great website.. So many people seem so helpful & sincere..it's great to know others can relate to you!!
Hi There, Welcome to this forum. You are not alone. You've made the first step at getting your life back, the way it used to be. YES, you can do this. Try not to fear the w/d's. They're not fun, but the fear is worse, trust me on that one. These pills turn on us and before we know it, we just medicate to feel normal and soon even that backfires. Check out the Thomas Recipe and get the supplements along with a good protein shake. Can you tell a Dr. about this for added support? Typically, it will be about 5-7 days of feeling very flush symptoms, but tolerable. Each day from there gets better and better. You may want to post on your own thread to get more replies, as this is an old one. Others will be along with more advice. All I can say is life without pills is amazing. You will wonder what took  you so long. Support is on it's way!
Sorry, mean't to say flu ish symptoms. Make sure you get immodium and plenty of fluids ahead of time. If you can schedule a few days off work, that too would be good. Much luck to you!
Thank you so much!
Lots of great info.  I'm currently struggling with oxy/perc. I hate pain pills of any kind!! Unfortunately in the last 5 years I have had to go through 6 knee surgeries. Each one getting a tad worse. Percocet has always been prescribed. Before this last surgery in June, once  the pain was gone, I was able to put them away and not worry. This Junes surgery added a new drug. The introduction to oxycotin.  Yuck!!  Once home from the hospital I was prescribed 2 60mg sr with perc 10/325 every 4. After 6 weeks we had the doc drop me to 40 sr x2, with the perc. Today, I'm asking for the oxy's to be dropped to 20's with the perc.  

Through all my surgeries besides knee in the last 9 years there have been a total 10.  I do not like pain pills, they themselves are a pain when recovering from surgeries, you have to make sure they are always with you wherever you go in fear that the pain will resume and you are far from home.   welcome the intro of oxy's, until now I have been extremely fortunate and have not had withdrawal symptoms from pain meds. (please know I'm not gloating) with the oxy I have never been so miserable in my life. I do not wish this upon ANYONE.

So, I apologize for the long history, but this is what I need help with from people who have experienced this and are not just spouting what is in a book.  What is the best way to avoid the horrid symptoms while you still need to be on the meds?  What, when & how is the best way to step down from the higher doses? Besides pot which tends to get pricey, any suggestions for appetite and nauseousness while still on the Meds?  Any help would be great.

Regardless of how we got here, we are all here. I wish the very best to everyone.