Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Hydroco Withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hydroco Withdrawal

I am in day 2 of a cold turkey attempt off of hydroco 6-120mg / day.
I took 30mg Monday and 30mg on Tuesday. Yesterday and today I have taken none at all. I am in pretty rough shape and was hoping someone could tell me if I can do this safely myself??
*correction*
60-120mg /day
Hi Steve!  It's always better to have someone with you during detox but you can do it alone. You're about to arrive at the worst time and then it gets better. Be sure you stay hydrated. It's really important! Protein shakes and small meals. Call a friend for help or to get you groceries, etc...

What symptoms are you having? There are many remedies that we can suggest to help you.

Post back.
Hi Steve and Welcome to Medhelp!

You're off to a great start with your C/T detox from the hydros - good job! And I see that you tapered for a few days beforehand as well.  

I imagine you're feeling pretty lousy right about now - days 2 and 3 are usually the worst; by day 4 or 5 you'll turn the corner and be through the worst of it by day 6 or 7.  This varies from person to person, but just be Ok with not feeling Ok for awhile (a very wise man here coined that phrase :).

If you look to the bottom of your screen, you'll find the Thomas recipe and the amino acid protocol.  There are alot of good tools there that can ease your withdrawals.  Immodium is important.  If you're having trouble sleeping, some of the OTC sleeping aids may help in that area.  

Make sure you stay hydrated - this is SO important!  Your withdrawals will only be magnified if you get dehydrated.  Eat when you can even if you don't feel like it.  It WILL help.  And try moving around as much as possible;  getting those endorphins going will help burn out the anxiety and restlessness that is part of withdrawal.

If you have RLS or aches and pains, hot soaks with epsom salts will help.

Most of all, just take it day by day, and try not to overthink your withdrawal. It will take time and it WILL pass.   I promise!

Keep posting so we know how youre doing!

Well wishes to you....

Sandy :)
I
God Bless yall and TY very very much
Just having contact with someone who knows what this is about is a comforting thought
I am blessed to have an understanding wife at home, and a clueless 11yr old angel !!LOL
Ive been reading most of the day and have found that the shower did help with the RLS, I have a buch of bananas and my wife has some multi viatamins
My wife sis, who is also my aunt(by marriage), gave me a little dube to help when it gets bad
But as I said be4...you guys are a true blessing as well and TY again
Sandy covered it I think.  Yes you can do this safely.  
I was taking 20+ vicodin per day.  I went cold turkey alone, and I'm on Day 21 today.  You will have flu like symptoms for about 3 days, then they will start to subside.  I had to force myself to eat and drink, so please make sure you do this.  If you can eat, try to take a multivitamin or Super B complex vitamin, they will help with energy and just feeling better in general. I had to take about 4 immodium per day for about 1 week, just so I didn't have to run to the bathroom every 20 minutes.  It's the chemicals leaving your body, but that was the worst part for me.  I was also prescribed Clonidine which is a blood pressure medication, but helps immensley with withdrawals.  It helped me and I was up and out of the house on Day 2.  I didn't feel like doing anything, but i'm sure glad I did.  It made the time go by quicker.  Good for you on wanting to quit.  I used pills for about 5-6 years, and now i'm feeling so clean and clear, and free....
Steve...You're being well advised by sandstone and vicki. I was doing 60-70
mgs of hydro (sometimes oxy) and I did the C/T detox. It's doable.I would
seriously recommend the amino acids as well as the supplements listed on the thomas recipe. Not to be repititive, but hydration is HUGELY important
while detoxing from opiates. Drink water or gatorade or other sports drinks
constantly. I repeat - CONSTANTLY. Even when you have to pee 40 times a day, you're flushing toxins. Today/tonight may be rough. Like Sandy said,
don't over think this thing. It will END. You will feel better, and better, and
better, ans so on. Life on the other side is AMAZING. TRUST ME.
Every moment of pain is worth it.
I am also on day 2 ct you can do it I've been drawing for the past few hours and actually even though I'm miserable its helping! What do you like to do? Try distracting yourself.... Its better than dwelling!
Just wanted to say hi and welcome! The others have covered it pretty well. I quit cold turkey on a Friday and went to work on Monday and I can tell you it was horrible! Everyone is right though, it does get better. Keep posting. I know it really helped me to know that people who didn't know me cared enough to encourage me. You can do this!
hello and welcome!! im so proud of you for stepping forward to get help. it takes so much courage to admit that your an addict.  i used to take 20 bydros a day. very dangerous for our liver kidneys and body. so please please please. stop now. i continued in my addiction that progressed to oxycontin and snorting roxies....i even had
All of you are so kind God bless you all.
Letting my wife in on whats happening became critical. I did it when she came home from work and she has been great. I plan on never telling our 11 yr old if I dont have too/ and only at all once he is an adult.
I am not familiar with this web site, and I plan on checking in closely with yall throughout the next 24-48 hours at the very least. And probably for a very long time after that.
Again TY ALL very very much for your help, kindness and support!!
oops...sorry..i even had my car reposed. i will support you every step of the way..you'll meet some awesome people who will help you. i know its early in your recovery but you need a close support group..glad your wife understands. what do you think about na meetings? aftercare is huge. you'll get peer support and a place to learn discuss lean on in na. have you went thru withdralwls before? a think you'll be ok after a few days and then you really get to world. recovery and living in sobriety is a road of self discovery...a journey within...i got thru 90 days clean and then jade another surgery. i was using so much oxycontin and hydrocodone i reset my baseline pain tolerance. so percisets didn't even work on pain. i used only as much as i needed. and today is first day with no meds...i had surgery Monday. i I've developed a new saying and motto that pulls me thru in the darkest hardest hours...i am not gonna say i won't ever use pain meds..but i choose not to use for today...this hour and minute...i haven't took a percs today.

if i can help you in anyway...just shoot me a pm. ill answer the best i can...you can do this your not alone....
Bama like so many I have met today, you are great!!
I was an alcoholic for 30yrs, my wife told me to quit drinking or she was taking our son and leaving me. I havnt had a drink in about 3-4 years but that was right when I began using hydro. I was having some dental work done about 3-4 years ago and have been taking them just about everyday since.
I havnt had a drink though..I guess I just traded one for the other. But I also quit smoking maraj, and that also was something I did for decades. I still ever once in a while but like the drinking it had been a daily thing and now I hardly use at all. So I am pretty confident I will beat this thing. But I also can face reality and know it wont be easy, or permanent if I am not committed and diligent. The physical withdrawal with this particular drug is brutal and am very blessed to have folks like yourself to talk me through it. Take Care my friend  
For those of you that have been through this I admire you. It is hell. Right now I wish I could just fall asleep but fell like there is chance of that anytime soon. It almost feels like I'm wired, except with alot of increasing pain and discomfort. I was doing a good job of keeping my mind off it, but my wife and son have gone to bed and its gotten very quiet, and alot worse.
My wife has ambien but its almost like I am afraid to think where I would be if they didnt work, so I dont want to take them.
Hi Steve,
Do you have any OTC sleep aids in the house, like Alteril or Melatonin?
How about some sleepytime tea?  There is a brand of tea called Yogi Kava that works wonders for some.  When I couldn't sleep, I'd take benedryl, and that usually worked - if not for the whole night, at least for several hours.  

No sleep and anxiety are probably the 2 worst symptoms of withdrawal in my book.  But believe me my friend, it WILL come back, slowly but surely.

I know the house is asleep, but would you be able to run a hot bath and throw some epsom salts in?  That and a benedryl might do the trick.  Or use any of the above OTC's I mentioned.  

I hope you get some shut eye soon - if not, keep posting if you feel like it.  THis is a global forum and people from all time zones are here to help.

Well wishes to you...

Sandy :)
One other thing, if you have your doctor in the loop on this, you may want to have him prescribe clonidine to you - it's a blood pressure med that will really help alleviate some of your withdrawal and lessen your anxiety.  He could also prescribe valium or xanax - just a few days worth to get you through the worst of the withdrawals.  

Keep it up and keep posting so we know how you're doing!

Sandy :)
TY Sandstone.....I plan on trying to talk with my Dr tomorrow from work. I saw him just Wed(yesterday) to get a refill on my scripts. This attempt was kinda impromptu, I have been promising myself to quit for quite awhile and since I didnt have any Sun and yesterday I decided today to just do it. I took the ambien and am fixin to take a long hot shower, With any luck and Gods blessing I will fall asleep soon....and TY again very much for everything!!
Hi again,

One last thing - sometimes when I couldn't sleep, I would grab my pillow and a blanket and go downstairs and lie on the couch.  I'd watch TV for a bit, and eventually would drift off.  It was like the pressure of lying in bed was keeping me awake, because I should be asleep - if that makes any sense.  

Just a thought....

Hi Steve,

How is Day 3 going for you?  You mentioned going to your doctor and getting a script refill on Wednesday - did you get rid of those pills?  If you haven't by now, I would do so ASAP.  (Unless it wasn't for hydros).  I hope your appointment went well with him today..

Keep posting so we know how your'e doing....

Well wishes...

Sandy
If you do get to the Dr. the Clonidine helped immensley,  they also gave me valium, but only 4 of them.  Just enought to take one per night for the 1st 4 nights.  That allowed me to sleep a bit, which also lessened my anxiety.   I found most of my pain and discomfort was in my head, my mind's way of telling me I NEEDED the pills.. I thought about the pain and realized it wasn't unmanageable, and told the addict in me to F off...
I cold turkeyed off a 20+ vicodin per day habit.... I started feeling better at Day 4, although I made myself go out on Day 2.  Keep reading and posting, it helped me so very much.  Good Luck!  
hey Steve...where are you? day three??
Hey everyone
I just got home from work.....it was miserable this morning but gradually got a little better. I have been following all the great advice I got from you guys and it has helped a great deal. I am definitely in a better state of mind and am feeling this is gonna work. I actually have a little appetite this evening.
I once again want to thank all yous guys for all your support and good advice. I will keep you guys posted. I know the urge to relapse is going to be strong and I will rely on you guys even more!!
God bless you all!!!
The scripts were for my diabetes and blood pressure stuff....no worries
Hey Steve - I'm glad Day 3 wasn't too bad for you....for most it is Hell Day. Days 4 and 5 should be better, and by Monday you'll really start noticing a difference in how you feel.  

The physical withdrawal is relatively short - it's the mental - anxiety, restlessness, etc. that will take longer to come back.  Do you have any aftercare plans in place?

Once people start to feel better, the cravings start to kick in, and this is where NA and/or one on one counseling become important.  

You've still got some detoxing ahead of you, so make sure you stay hydrated - anything with electrolytes is best.  I was glad to read that you have a bit of an appetite - Eating well and taking vitamins and supplements will go a long way to help ease your withdrawals.  

I hope you sleep well tonight, and have a relatively painless weekend.  

Post whenever you feel you need to - we're always here to listen.  

Take good care of yourself - you WILL get though this!

Sandy :)
glad your here. glad you made it thru. now you can slooz around rhe house this weekend
You guys have been so great so Im gonna come clean, Im feeling terrible guilt because you guys have been so kind to me. Yesterday morning when this got unbearable I called a friend who bought me 3 7.5's up to my work. I just couldnt handle it anymore so I took the 22.5mg. I guess thats why my appetite had come back a little by the time I got off work. But after I ate I got nauseous and puked.
Tonight it has gone back to hell. Ive been eating bananas and taking a multi vitamin complex but the RLS is back with a vengeance and Ive had 3 charlie horses that lasted about 45 mins total. Im fixin to take some ambien and try to go back to sleep. I need alot more strength than I feel I have. The constant pain and pressure especially in my abdomen and legs is unbearable
You can move forward and fight through the rough days and nights buy if but if you are leaving your avenues open to get more pills and even utilizing those avenues then how do you expect to get past this? The way of thinking about this needs to change. If you just think to yourself that 'if it gets too bad then I'll call someone and get more' then you can't do this. You need to commit to it and finally decide enough is enough. It's what I did around 34 Days ago and never looked back. It was hard to say the least the first week but I am so thankful today that I did it and I never want to experience that again! You need to seriously think about what I am saying steve.... It's not for me! It has to be about you and what you want for your future. It starts now!
Don't look back... focus on today. You can do this! One minute, one hour, one day at a time. Great to see you posted and keep on posting! :)
Heres a summary. Over the course of 3-4 years I built up a resistance to the tune of 60-120mg / day. I took almost every single day during that period with the exception of a day or 2 here and there. Then last Sunday the 12th I ran out of pills and completely out of money. So I didn't take any on Sunday. As I have gotten so good at I hustled up some Sunday night and knew I had to save them for work. So I took 30mg on Mon, and 30mg on Tues. I knew I was seeing my Dr on WED and was figuring to re-up then. My Dr said he wasnt going to refill my script for the hydro. So I didnt take all of Wed. And it was then that I decided mabee it was time to quit. Went all day Thurs without taking. It was Thurs that it really began to set in what I was getting into. I began to suffer terribly. I read all day about what to expect and eventually found you great people here. I had taken half a day off from work on Wed for the DR appt, and couldn't work Thurs. I had to go in Fri no matter what and I did. It was pure hell, and that was when I got creative and got my buddy to bring me the 22.5mg up to work and I took them immediately. I am basically a weak person and could not stand the suffering anymore. So here I am Sat AM, feeling guilty, no hydro, and wandering where I go from here. Have I ruined my recovery?? If I keep breaking down and taking small doses here and there can this still work?? I know there is always tommorrow but cannot imagine putting myself through this again so I feel I have to keep this up right now!!! HELP
Even as I was writing the last couple of lines in my last post I know I was copping out. I am looking for someone who knows to tell me "yeah its ok to backslide 20-30mg / day" without endangering my progress so far. I am fully aware of the drugs insidious nature, and how it is too easy to just go back to the way I was. But I do truly want and NEED to quit, not just for me but for my family. I am just so confused and depressed right now. If it were not for my wife and you guys I would have no chance at this!!
Hey Steve. Congrats on wanting to be clean.  No question, detox is no picnic. I looked at it this way; What's worse? A few days of hell, or a life of madness and misery followed by death or a psych ward?  I had to get honest with myself about my addiction; it was going to either kill me, put me in jail or an
institution. I've been where you are right now my friend. Please don't prolong your agony. Stop taking pills and cut off your sources. You can do the detox.
Stop reading about how hellish it is and simply treat the symptoms as they appear. There's a ton of info here about how to minimize the W/Ds. You've cleared the first hurdle...you want it. Now take it!
Hey Steve,

In answer to your question "Have I ruined my recovery?" in my opinion, you never really gave it enough of a chance.  You did the 30 mgs on Monday and Tuesday because you knew you were going to run out but since you were seeing your doctor on Wednesday, it was no big deal - until he refused to refill your script.  You did have 2 clean days, and were off to a good start - and when Friday came around - Day 3 IS Hell Day, you started again, and now you're out of pills and back to day 1 again.

My question to you is - Do you really WANT to quit?  This is what you stated in your initial posts, but it seems more like you just ran out and were waiting for a script refill.  I'm not criticizing you, but unless you WANT this 110%, it's going to be tough, because the mental part of detox will get you every time, and when you start feeling really bad, you will call that buddy of yours for some pills.  

If you can't quit cold turkey, you could always taper, but since you have no pills I guess that option is out.  The good news is, you only took 3 pills, and you had 2 clean days behind you already, so starting at Day 1 today shouldnt be as bad as your first Day 1.  Read through this thread again - everything still applies.  

We're here for you Steve, so post often - we like to know how you're doing.

Take good care of yourself, STAY HYRDATED, and just keep fighting the good fight.  Most important, you have to make up your mind that this is what you WANT, not what you HAVE TO do.    

Well wishes my friend...

Sandy
The answer to your question about still taking pills every couple days and getting off this drug is NO ...u cannot do it like that. The first sentence in your post that started this conversation talks about your 'attempt' at gettit off hydros. To me personally, u didn't go into this with the right attitude and mindset: in fact it was only cuz you couldn't et anymore that u were forced to stop until you hustled onto some more. So I should really make a commitment to stop and make plans for your future cuz I promise you ....u will have no future if you continue taking these pills. You can say you are a weak person and u give in easy but to me it's an excuse for you to use again. U don't need to have someone hold your hand if you really wanna get clean Steve! You have to do it for you and you have to more than want it! You have to believe in a better life for yourself! The first week is tough....no b.s. ... Some people it's getting better after 3 days 5 days or a week max from what I have seen and heard. For me it was 5 days and then I saw it start to get better. This is something to look back on and be proud of that you worked though it. You need to care about you right now bcause the way you have been handling this 'detox' is only the addict in you caring about himself.  You punish yourself and take  a couple more and then you punish yourself waiting for a new script and so what do you want for yourself in the end? Make a decision to stop and stop for good and not just until someone will front you a couple more. Real talk
Mike is right -

There is no easy way around detox - including a "pass" to pop a few pills when you feel weak.  You've just gotta go through it, and it won't be easy. But it WILL pass.  You have to believe that.  I'm no hero when it comes to pain either, but if you want to get clean and stay clean, detoxing is only the first step.  After care is an important part of  recovery.  NA or one on one counseling helps many.

Good luck to you,

Sandy
TY and God bless you Mike...and ALL of you
I know everything your saying is true. The fact is that if I were not with my wife and our son I wouldn't even be trying to quit. I know I need to be responsible for them. They have put their love and trust in me and I am very close to screwing that up, so I know its time to quit. And as with everything else in my life I am trying to find an easy way to do it, even though I know in my heart that no easy way exists.
I am going to cont to fight and just pray I can find the inner strength and peace I will need to do it.
All of you have been great, the fact that there are so many great people who genuinely seem to care is awesome in its self!! My sister was telling me how we are all surrounded by more angels than we can imagine. It kinda adds to the pressure I feel......man am I screwed up!!!!LOL
First of all breathe. your not the first one or the last person who has backslide. the first part is the admision stage..then you can make progress. ive noticed a pattern i did it too. we feel weak.
or out of control. but we are in control. we control how much when and what we put in our bodies. i see that now. didnt 97 days ago.

i challenge you this....to not take any pain meds for 90 days. not a lifetime. jist 90. if you get to 90  it has a way of working out.

There is no justificstion on 30mgs or 120mgs. none.

you must settle in for a rough week. must. its nessesary. there is no easy way out. you didnt get addicted in a day. nope. it took me years to want to quit. years. i began from hydro to roxy to any pill. if one or two was good. 3-4 better and so forth. i put hydro as weak azz shite. see.

Have you ever had the flu? of course you have. did you live? your still here...so i would say yes. whatz one little week out of a lifetime. it just might save your soul. i promise.

You have to choose. you have to do the work. you. not me. Not the doctor. not your mom. you you you
And to answer did you ruin your recovrery? what recovery? when did you stop? See....
This disease is mental and physical
the pbysical will go away...the mental will stay.

I am an addict that CHOOSES not to take meds or get high today. just today...i lpromise nothing more.....sorry to be so hard on you...im giving some tough love. but love
Steve:
Everyone has given you some great advice. I didn't read all of it, but the very first thing you need to do is get rid of all of your sources. When I did it I called it putting up roadblocks because I knew that at some point, sooner rather than later when I was detoxing, my head would start trying to tell me how one pill wouldn't be that bad. So, I called my doc, my dentist and the pharmacy. Told them that I was an addict and wanted to be red flagged as an abuser. I then told a couple of friends that I'd got pills from in the past that I had lied to them, the pills were for pleasure not pain, and not to ever give me meds again. I told my wife that I did not want opioid (sp?) based meds again, and for her to monitor if necessary. I did all of that in day 3 of my ct detox, a day of absolute hell.
Once you've removed the temptation, you will be able to proceed with your detox. Until then I can almost guarantee you that you'll continue to use.
All the things an addict must do to get clean are very clear cut and are the same for everyone. First and foremost is quitting the drug and detoxing. Now how we all get there to those things we absolutely must do are gonna be a little different for everyone. Everyone may prepare themselves a little different, and have different tools ready for helping to cope. But the thing that is the same for EVERY addict is the quitting and the detoxing.
I am beginning to see things a little more clearly,,,,I have my goal, I am seeing what it is going to take. And I am beginning to get the right tools around me for a successful attempt, you guys are important to me and I need you to not give up on me
Kyle is right on with that! And Steve , let me tell ya' ...I've walked a mile in your shoes as most of us here have and l think that's the reason u found us. U want support? It's here! You have questions? Ask' You want answers? They're here! This community has the ability to get you going and sticking with you along your journey. What I cannot do for you nor can anyone here is stop u from taking a pill. All rhe tools you need to get through the wd's are here Steve. Use them! Take advantage of them....but most importantly stay true to yourself!  Don't think about detox as a bad or scary thing....when u create that image of it ...it tends to materialize and become amplified. You ever wear Nike shoes or sweats? They got a pretty good slogan .. Just Do It!
Hey Steve,

How are you feeling today?
Remember you CAN do this...

Hoping all is well with you....

Sandy :)
Steve keep Posting and keep trying. You are doing great be honest when you use and try again to stop. I got as much as 45 days and now I'm having trouble putting together a week but I am determined to keep trying. I'm an addict but accepting it is tough I'm praying for you. Sharon
Hi Steve,

I don't know if I mentioned it in my message, (I can't access them right now for some reason).   Your Plan is great, just make sure you stick to your taper - it is critical that you're consistent in order for it to be successful.

Well wishes...

Sandy
To all you kind people who showed support and caring to a total stranger, I just wanted to say TYVM!!!!
I've gone 4 straight days without taking at all after a few days tapering off. I felt pretty good today and am hoping the worst of the initial detox is behind me. For those of you who followed my posting you know I have done this with other substances, and this was clearly the most difficult. And it should also tell you that I have the resolve to endeavor to persevere through this and not relapse anytime soon. And never to the extent that I was getting strung out this time!!!
God bless you all, and again TYVM!!!
AWESOME STEVE!!!  day 4 was the worst for me. Things will get better and
better. Be patient. Take it easy. You've gone through the worst of the physical hell and your attitude sounds really good. Keep it up! If you're feeling weak and tired, pick up some L-tyrosine at the health food store. It's worked wonders for me. I also take SamE. The opiates really messed with our
body's ability to function. Some repair work is needed. taking aminos and
getting plenty of protein will speed up the process. Get some mild exercise daily. Rest when you feel tired and don't worry about not sleeping if you're
having that problem. Sleep will come. Kava tea and melatonin might help.
great news!  Keep it up!!!!!
Hi, I wanted to say thank you for the support, not sure I'm in a better place today but thank you just the same.
Hey there Steve,

I've been thinking about you and wondering how your plan was working for you...sounds like it worked out great!  Good for you!  LostNoMore gave you some good advice - keep in mind that there is the mental part of detox you need to deal with as well....that is the truly tough part - getting clean is easy...staying clean will take work.  I believe you have a strong will, but keep some form of aftercare in mind as well.  

You're off to a great start my friend...keep it up and keep posting so we know how you're doing.  

Best of luck to you...

Sandy :)

Ok, let me rephrase that - getting clean is easier than staying clean in most people's opinion...:)

S.