Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Hydrocodone Withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 201-299 comments:
I'm on day 12 CT and have many questions.  Still having symptoms and unusual feelings.  I hope someone can help.
Ive been addicted to hydro for 8yrs now! It has totally ruined my life!! Ive lost a lot of things and im now down to nothing. No means of transport, no home, no job..my kids no longer live with me and ive now feel like i have to finally quit this addiction! I have tried over the years however i keep relapsing! It sux n hurts so freaking bad. I buy the pills off the streets, i stole them from my previous job workin at a pd n was convicted of the crime. Im again now going thru w/d for the numerious time! Im n my 4day of clean. N now im ready to speak this out loud and finally seek advice to stay clean for good! I want my life back. I hate the cravings of the pills. Its like craving chocolate. Like as soon as ur mouth waters you want one then two then more n more. Please help!
I was taking 30 10/325 a day without being pill zombied out! For me I could do all my artwork better with a higher level of enthusiasm. That in itself is the worst part! I relished the words I read once stating that " some of the world best artistic masterpieces were created under the influence of alcohol,opium, or cannibis" ha! What truth and what deception that statement holds. Vicodin is my biggest mistake aside from letting everyone that means most to me down. When you do finally come to the point of nailing your pillbilly demon in a pill proof casket you will wake up feeling pleasantly surprised one morning when you least expect it after tapering down! Its an amazing feeling to just wake up feeling great knowing that all of a sudden its over! And you are you once again! Be strong and take this advice.
I have been on pain meds on and off for the last 15 yrs. It go so bad that I stole a bottle form my grandma and father. I was taking 120 Vicodin 750's in 2 weeks. I have serious pain issues and have been taking 120 Vicodin 750's for the last 5 yrs straight. I am tapering down and have got my self to 2 500's a day and was comfortable. Then my dr. came in and said "I am cutting you off" and she meant it. Now I am down to 1/2 in morning and 1/2 in late afternoon. I am running out of med's and I have never bought on the street and don't want to start but I don't know what to do. I tried to not take the 1/2 in this afternoon and within 2 hrs I feel bugs start crawling all over my skin. That's the part I can't take.  How long does it last? PLEASE!!! Is there anything I can do????
I too, am in your boat.  Although I don't have quite the extensive health history as you, I am certain I'm up to about 6-8 vicoden a day (7.5 ES) and have been for about 6 years now.  I'm ready to quit them but I suffer bad lower back problems and I'm afraid to WD from them bc I will really feel all the pain I'm masking under it all.  The way I see it, we managed with pain before our medicine addiction, we need to find a way to manage it now.  I believe if you set aside a week to do NOTHING you can do the following steps....
1.   Stock up on food, water and Aleve along with some headache meds.
2.   Involve a friend, invite them to help you through the rough spots.
3.   Stay home, take hot baths, drink lots of water, use heat and ice packs.
4.   STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE MEDS.  Flush them immediately.

Try and do this for a week, I know for sure, if you can make the first week, you can make it totally

Scaredtodeath
I have been described vicodin for about 5 yrs now. The past year of my life has changed alot. Ive know for awhile that I was abusing my script, but refused to admit it. I strongly believe it is mind over matter. If I only would have know this would have happened. Ive realized I need to help myself, that I have been living a lie. Last Friday I cried my eyes out as I told my fiancee that i was addicted to pain meds. He is being very supportive, but doesnt understand, my plan is to cut waaaaay down and slowly ween myself down and away from vicidin. I was using anywhere from 5-12 pills a day and most days it was on the high end of that. Any suggestions or home remedies would be greatly appreciated! Thx
I'm in hell as I lay here on the couch. The headache is killing me...feels like someone inserted their hand at the base of my neck and slowly massaging my brain.then when I think its gone he taps my brain just to let me know...Im still here.Had back surgury, 2 times, have RA, degerative[sp] back disease.WAAAAAAAAA woah is me......I had it with the damn pain meds.I choose not to buy any more.The docs cut me off anyway....started buying on the street.ahhh another smart choice.Both contacts got busted.Had an offer today for 120 10s......was on my way to buy them.....hell no. I turned my truck around and came back home. Lucky for me my wife and daughter are out of town for a week. Please God let be well when they get home.I lay on the couch now, blanket around me...just for the chills.they will go away soon...right??  RIGHT???????????.I coud go into my room, the night stand is where it is,noooooooo, not pills,escape. Cant do that.Not to my Wife.Not to my Daughter.
Excuse me...have to go....the bathroom...I know...shhhhhhhh.Ok starting cold turkey..I can I know i can....I want to. I do. I dont feel well now, gonna go...lay here and stare....pray for sleep....no sleep last night......no sleep today....Please God let me sleep...Just random thoughts of my first 36 hour cold turkey....Does it get better??? I will post again if I make it......................
Im having the same problemz mii name is BRITTNEY and i had bone cancer in mii face so the half of mii face had to get worked on and im so not proud how it came out, so i went threw so much medz but finally of five years of beein on it they giving me lorcet, all these medz r driving me crazy im also going throught hot and cold sweatz bad stomach pain i really wonna get off of them because when i dont have them i snap on anybody mii kidz,who ill do anything for ive done it to them and made them cry and dat really hurted me im starting to think of, killin myself i dont wonna hurt ppl i luv,and when i dont take them im steadly n pain im so tired i just dont know how to get through all this myself and im 25 with 2 kidz so i got sick when i had just turned 20 this is a big deal i need help but have no money i dont noe want to do..
This is such an old thread you post might be missed.  Go to the top of the page to post a question and repost your message.  I do not want you not to get the right support.  It will start a new thread for you.
Hi Nicki,

This post is some 9 or so years old, maybe more. I am afraid it will get lost in the shuffle and you won't get the support you need. Go to the top of this page and hit the "Post A Question" button to start your own thread. Follow the instructions and copy and paste what you wrote here. If you need help, give a shout.

There is great support here so hang on, okay? Hope to see you in the forum.
Day 2 of the hell. what can i do to stop the pain, sweats, tremors, restless-ness? i feel like sleeping but have bad dreams, i feel like being awake but only yawn and have no energy whatsoever. i just want to lay down and die.
I have been taking pain pills for at least 3 years.It all started when i had lung surgery,& was taking percosets for a couple of weeks. I continued taking them, actually lortabs or anything else i could get. I have back problems so my dr. gave me pain pills for that.Now i'm buying them & taking lortabs percosets anything i can get. I am going to try & wean myself down from taking at least 6 to eight pills a day.  I've heard that taking vitamins help, & i've also seen something called withdrawl (withdrawal) ease.Has anyone heard of this? Any help would be appreciated.
I've been taking vicodin for about 4 months now. I started taking Norco 10mg about 3 weeks ago. I never go pass the daily dosage, but when I do take them I find myself rationalizing by taking the maximum daily dosage (6) close to each other. Maybe 3 here then a couple of hours I'll take 3 more. I never thought I had a problem, I was just taking them to help me get through my days as I work a very physical job. The problem is now I find myself not taking them at work but instead looking forward to coming home and taking them then. I have gone a couple of days here and there without taking them and I've been fine, but knowing I have a supply constantly makes me want to take them. Now, when I run out, I get anxiety thinking about it. The other day I started to feel anxiety and my tongue felt weird. So I took a couple and the symptom(s) went away. I don't want to get on these things and I certainly don't want to continue on. I'm worried the withdraw symptoms will be so intense that I won't be able to hide them from my wife and family. I grind my teeth now just thinking about them and it has become so hard not to take a couple. They're no longer serving their purpose, they've also made me feel groggy and fatigued. I am so embarrassed to say this but I am certain I've been taking these things for recreational use. It scares the hell out of me. I never had a thing for pills in fact I use to frown upon people who took them, and now here I am in the early stages of being sucked into the same addiction. What can I do? I am a very determined person. I was a raging alcoholic for 8 years and I managed to quit entirely over 3 years ago, not touching anything at all until this last few months with these vidodin and norco. How bad are the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms? Are they anything like alcohol withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, as dangerous? Someone please help me nip this in the butt before I really lose all control.
welcome to the forum. I suggest you copy this post and click on Post a message (yellow button) at top of page and paste to new message. This is a very old post and you will get more feedback. That said, you will have w/d. After you post the new message..see bottom right side of the (new) page: See Thomas's recipe and Amino Acid Protocol...good stuff there to help w/  symptoms..like Immodium, Vitamins, Hylands Restless Leg Syndrome..etc..all can be found at Walmart. You  can expect to have a really bad flu..and depending on overall health, age, dosage..5-6 days of this. Like you mentioned ..nip it in the bud..your dosage is not all that high..but no doubt the way you are using..it looks like it could become a major problem. It had alot to do with attitude, determination...you DON'T want a pill(s) controlling your life, right?
So..good for you!
You have found a great place for advice and support...many helpful people here that want you to get back on track. I have 47 days free of prescribed oxycodone after 4 years of daily use. I had 'like' an epiphany..what the heck am I doing..and I found this forum...and I took alot of the advice..called my Dr...told her now more addictive medications. That was hard to do. This is 2/3 mental and 1/3 physical when it comes to the w/d.
look forward to hearing more from you and
keep posting.
If you really want to be educated about methadone by an expert I will be glad to counsel you. My e-mail is ***@****, I am asking you to e-mail me due to detail involved the reply that you need to hear. If you do, I will give you the straight up facts from someone that has used Methadone for 20 years. God Bless you either way my friend.
Hello, all. I have been actively researching for support regarding the pain of Hydro addiction and withdrawal. What I've read here compelled me to sign up immediately. The honest, genuine posts I've read have really touched my soul. Finally, a place where people can comfortably get real and reach out to others and get the moral support they need.
I am a 39-year-old woman with herniated neck discs. Long story short, I have been prescribed Norco 10/325 for about 4 months, first prescribed by my primary care physician until he passed me (like a hot potato, lol) to pain management. In addition, before that, in May, I had a hysterectomy for which I had been prescribed Oxycodone 7.5
Needless to say I have developed a habit. I feel hopeless, hate being dependent, and-to make matters worse-am still in pain despite taking my prescribed doses of medication. Of course what keeps me stuck is the temporary sense of feeling good (at best), and (at worse) the mere feeling of normalcy I need to work and function. I am prescribed one pill every 4 hours. I feel withdrawal symptoms within 30 minutes of my missed dose.
I've seen my pain doc twice now. He tells me I need to see a neurosurgeon...But as one of America's working poor with no insurance, that is not feasible. In fact, I was just served a summons to appear in court next month over the $14,000 I still owe from my surgery in May. My medical bills are already astronomical.
Honestly, I wish my state was a medical marijuana approved state. But it's not (ha, as if). Smoking is not an option for me due to my job.
Without any pain relief at all, sometimes I can only hold my head straight forward. Turning halfway either way is next to impossible.
I have tried, in accordance to doctor procedure, the non-narcotic options.
I'm currently taking 2 anti-depressants, Wellbutrin SR, Pristiq 150 mg (both anti-depressants), Xanax 1 mg. 2x a day due to Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Norco (Hydrocodone 10/325, and Soma 250 mg. The Soma is prescribed 3x a day.
I just read someone else's post and it described me to a T. That post was what inspired me to try and reach out, which is difficult because we here know all too well the stigma attached to people who use and abuse pain medication.
My hope is to not get answers, because I know this is my problem and I have to deal with it, I would just like some moral support from others who relate to me. What we all are experiencing is something no one understands unless they've walked a mile in our shoes.
Thanks and take care...

Iv allways had a hard time with drugs since i was young.I tried almost everything by 15yrs old.and by 25 had been smoking crack for over 8yrs.I quit doing that a few days after my 25th Birthday and started taking vicodine or anything with hydrocodone in it for for the next 4yrs.I got to the point where i was taking 4 sometimes 5   7.5s  every 4 hrs.Thats when i decided to quit.I went through terrible withdraws that lasted for a week then i felt great.I started back up with vicodine about 4 months ago and have been taking 6 to 7_ 5s once a day everyday.I want to be done but its really hard.I decided i wouldnt take any yesterday and i didnt.Its been 40 hrs since my last dose and im not feeling good but i do feel good about quiting.Its not as bad as it was the last time i quit but i was taking alot more last time.Iv spent alot of time today reading everyones posts and i know how hard it is to quit anything your used to doing but i also know how it feels to be free of it and i feel like a fool for even doing it again because i felt better without them once i kicked the habit.trust me if i can do it anyone can good luck
wow breezybelle, I am in the same boat as you. I am a single mom with severe depression and anxiety and an autoimmune disease. I have a ton of GI issues have had a liver biopsy 2 CTs and 3 colonoscopies in 12 months.I am only 25 yo. have been on an off pain meds for years. I always stopped when I foubnd myself 'becoming addicted'. ( None of thses pills were prescribed to me at the time).
      About 8-9 months ago, I started using norcos and percs. some were prescribed by Mds, others...bought from friends who got them off the streets.The drugs helped me forget and temporarily lose my depressive feelings as well as cured my aches and pains and all of the horrible diarreah (diarrhea) i was having.
     however, i started to recognize addictive symptoms in myself again. It scared me. I got so tired of needing to take pills in the morning to get out of bed. so tired of a good day that was only good if I had my pain pills. I am so envious of ppl who are happy being 'normal' and sober.. Ive never been like that....and I want to be.
     So I stopped pills cold turkey yesterday. God its been horrible. Ive withdrawn from pills before but i told myself this is the LAST time.For the past two days... My house is a mess. I am so depressed. so tired. so, so, soooo tired.  I am coughing really bad. my legs feel floppy, like im Gumby or somethin. God I wish you the best. I am doing this for my son also. Good luck to you.
Please let me preface this story by saying my mom died of a heroin OD in '96, and I always said "I'll never do drugs". But look at me...I'm just like her. I recently lost my job about a month ago which makes this even more painful, but they had no clue I was popping pills (20-30 LT 10's/day) just for maintainence. damn how did it get this bad?? I quit about a month ago and relapsed after day 4. I was still so sick alone with a 5 yr old, and I gave in like an idiot. Please everyone don't be like me. Don't give in. Eventually the $ runs out, so here I am again. I'm already not sleeping, and I'm just coming to my 24 hour mark. My body hates me. Truthfully, I hate myself too. But everyone hang in there. For me, I know the worst is to come. I'm freaking moving today.....oh gosh!!! Like I said the $ has run out, and I have no job. But when I start to get really depressed I just think how my mom tried so hard to kick her demons, and I am devastated she isn't here with me. I cannot do that to my sweet 5 yr old....I just want to be able to laugh again. For real!!! Not because I have pills in me :) did anyone else in detox laugh a lot while watching something funny?? I did last time, and oh gosh it felt good!! I just want that again. My real self back!!! The funny, outgoing, and loving me. I hate the irritable, tired, and selfish me. Best of luck and love to everyone. Xoxo

MADSok
I asked Jesus to be my savior, but I'm still human and devil has put many things out there to trip all of us up. I have been prescribed pain meds for years, first Darvocet till they took it off the market then norco 10-325. I was taking 4 every 4or5 hours up to 16 pills a day I ran out and went thru w/d just as discribed in all these post. But I got a refill and fooled myself again. but this time I counted out how many I would take a day and slowly give my body a chance to adjust to that day there would be no more. Iam down to 6 a day, 2 in the morn, 2 at noon and 2 at bedtim. .Tomorrow I try 1 and a half 3x a day and the next day 1 and so on. I feel some of the w/d symptoms but its nothing like when I went cold turkey. I was a wreck the first few days going cold turkey because my body was in shock but this time things are much better. Drink lots of water and a muti-vitamin when you eat. God has given me this body and I am counting on him to help.  
I only took  4 norco 10-325 yesterday (2 morn 2 at bed) I've been tapering down after a year of taking 16 a day. I am feeling some w/d effects but its nothing like I felt going cold turkey a few months ago. I also found out that Gabapentin (Neurontin) helps with w/d symptoms and I have a bottle of them as well. Google Gabapentin for opiate w/d.
You should ask your doctor about prescribing Gabapentin (Neurontin) it helps  with withdrawal symptoms. As you have oppertunity, google Gabapentin for w/d symptoms and you will learn a lot about this med. I was taking Norco 10-325 16 times a day and this med helped me not to feel all the w/d symptoms
Hi There;
I read your comment on the perocet you were taking, & how you quit on your own. I too am taking the same pain meds for a shoulder injury back in 2008, then in 2009 I came down with Chronic limpnoid Lieukiemia, which was when the Doctor told me to up the dosage of my meds, from 1 every 4hrs to 2-3 every 4 hrs. Now of course, &yep you guessed it, I too am addicted. I have tried to lower the amount I take on my own, to try & ween myself down, it didn't make me feel to well at all, Then I got down to taking 1 every 4hrs, but found not only did my pain come back,but I started getting withdrawal symptoms. My day's when I was taking just 1, made me feel very crappy, like I didn't want to do anything or talk to anyone. But, when I ran out of my Perks(as I call them) my nights were the worst. I would get these feelings in my arms & legs, as if there was something crawling around under my skin, it kept me up all nite, would make me cry, nothing I did took it away. I could handel the sleepless nights, but can't handel the terrible feelings I get in my arms & legs, could you tell me if you too experienced the same in your arms & legs & what you did about it. I just want to get of these Dam things. Thanks
I've been hooked on hydrocodone for 5 years now. It started out recreationally but got nasty really quick. I'll spend every last dollar I have, and yours, to get them. It's a vicious addiction. I have no energy unleSs I have them. How do I get off of them?
Good for you!!  I'm glad you stopped before it got too bad.  Wish I could say the same for myself.  I've been addicted to vicodin for 15 years.  I just saw a doctor today and got a script for suboxone.   I sure hope it helps.  I'm so tired of chasing the vicodin.  Hope your tree guy showed up!!
my husband and i both have things wrong with us we both go to a pain doctor he is on roxycodone 15mg opana 40mg soma 350mg xanax 1mg lisinpril  20mg levothyroxine and more. i have been on roxycodone 15mg opana 30mg maxalt 10mg disolvable xanaflex and vistiril and soma 350mg for the past 5 years now and it is extremly hard to quit or tapper down by yojrself we have tried so many times. it does take you over but you hqve to learn how to control it and the urges to over do it because they are there and you want to feel good enough to do what you want. we do however have it to where we are at our doses on bottles which is 5 roxy daily 2 opana daily 2 somab daily. we have tried and finally did it to our regular doses thank heavens it was hard. we are now tryin to get way below oujr doses to see how that does us. we hope it will be ok this stuff is so hard to quit if we had known before getting them we both agree we wouldnt have started taking them and dealt with our pain.  would you agree with that?????
Its been a hard thing to kick. I have severe lower back problems for three years. Been takin lortab 10, 4 to 5 times as day. It really takes more snd more because they no longer work like at first. But when im out I really really hurt. It seems to be a mental thing too. If im out, thats all I think about, and hurt too.
I AM IN NEED, I HAVE BEEN TAKING LORCET 10 FOR 14 YEARS I AM ASHAMED TO STAY THIS I KEEP FAILING I REALLY NEED TO STOP SOME ONE PLEASE  I HAVE GOT TO THE POINT THAT I CONSUME 25  TO 30 PILLS PER DAY EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE I TAKE 10 10 PILLS AT ONE TIME   WHEN I TRY TO DETOX  I GET SCARED AND GIVE UP GOD KNOWS I WANT THIS. HELP WHAT SHOULD I DO WHERE CAN I BEGIN
Just started my journey today. I was also additiced to the evil opiate for four years 7.5gr. 4 a day. I was also taking 1mg of xanax 4 times a day and soma 350mg 3 times a day. Most every night I throw down two or three Vodka and club sodasafter dinner just to make sure I was good and ****** up.
I tried to hide it but my family had noticed the change in my behaivor (It didn't take a genius to see the condition I was putting myself in EVERY DAY.) My wife searched the basement (were I usually hid my stash) and came up the stairs crying. My youngest son wants nothing tp do with me and my older son may come around if I get clean AND STAY THAT WAY. The real question/concern is how??? My wife cancelled me from her health ins. policy and will probably be seeking a seperation. I've heard the cold turkey benzo withdrawal can be as ****** up as it gets and possibly fatal!
A little scared as It's been 15 hours and I'm starting to fell the benzo need.
Oaky, listen.  This is serious. At that dose of Xanax and Soma, abruptly stopping will likely cause seizures. Both those drugs need tapering!  Did you stop the Vicodin,as well?  Alcohol?

I'd recommend getting with your doctor for guidance. This is complicated enough to require in patient detox.  Good luck!
I am a 56 year old chronic pain sufferer. I have been taking 5-500 Vicodin at the rate of 3 to 4 a day since 1992. I've been moved up to 10-500 Lortabs (4 a day) since I became a diabetic at 52 and developed painful neuropathy. I am also a heart patient, have Barret's espphpgus, arthritis and a form of Carpal Tunnel in both feet that will require a REALLY painful surgery maybe next year. I've had 9 orthopedic surgeries and in all reality I actually need this relief. A year ago I was moved up to 5 Lortabs daily as my left knee showed signs of my 9 year old ACL cadaver piece transplant possibly failing. When I could stand the pain no longer (in spite of the meds) surgery was set up. Recalling the sheer agony of the machine you strap into to slowly bend the new knee for 3 weeks, I explained to the doctor I would need a single dose of Oxycodone to take after I got home from work until I got surgery. As a utility worker I walk 8 to 12 miles a day. As an HMO member I had to wait a month for approval. The doc complied. I was taking 4 Lortabs to hobble up and down the stairs of the power plant and one Oxycodone 30mg when I got home. When the HMO took a second month to approve the proceedure, I got a second bottle. Then I informed the surgeon that I would need a 'scrip of Percocet (also an Oxycodone as opposed to Lortabs and Vicodin's Hydrocodone) 7.5's to get through the therapyy and recovery.  This is where I am at now. The surgeon gave me one week's worth of Percocet 7.5's then a week's worth of Percocet 5's. As I lay here I have 3 pills left and have been weaning myself down from the Oxycodone  with the aid of my faithful Lortabs. But surprise !  Hydrocodone does not replace Oxycodone hardly at all. So I lay here, my pain controlled with my usual meds, BUT I am going through withdrawals from the Oxycodone ! I don't need any more Oxycodone as I am recovering BUT I will continue to require the Hydrocodone maintenance dose for all my other issues or it is a lost job and a wheelchair for me. Don't forget the needless pain I would endure. I found an empty bottle of clonidine my bipolar wife used to take. Before I threw it out, I looked it up.  Depression, anxiety treatment AND Opiate withdrawal symptom treatment!  Really?  Will this actually work WHILE I am still taking a different type of Opiate? Research on line says clonidine works but will it work like I need it to? Could it be dangerous to even try this? Anyone out there who would like to offer advice to a busted up old man who must keep working to feed his family? Please write ***@****. Thanks and God Bless.
You have posted on a really old thread and you should start your own.  I don't want your question to be missed and it may be.
.Go to the forum and click on Post a question and copy and paste what you have written into it.
I can't respond to your question because I have no idea about clonidine.
Please post a new thread because my heart is going out to you and I wish I could help.
Pat!  An instant response?  Wow.  I will certainly do as you ask. I had to type that long message on my iPhone in bed. One thing....my profile says I'm female. How can I cange this? Could you fix it?  Thank you very much.
Please explain "watch list" and "join this community". I have 6 big health issues and still work a heavy labor (at times) job.  This is golden for me.  Thanks again, Don (daweezel)
Pat. As a new person to this site, I must report something. I was allowed to join up as "daweezel" as I typed on my iPhone. When I got feeling well enough (but sleepless) I came to the PC and actually typed. The site said "daweezel" was taken already. Perhaps this is why I am identified as a woman. It offered 4 other similar, already taken names. When I redid my sign in, it said the email was already taken....by ME.  Please help. Don
Hi Don
Go to your profile and above the spot for your picture, it says about me.
To the right of that it says edit, click on edit and you can make the change there.
Your post didn't go to a new thread.  Go to the first page of the forum and click on Post a question and start your new thread
Good luck.
Lady, I know this was a year ago and I hope you are still around and have gotten past it.  I'm on Hydrocodone for 21 years. A couple of tricks. Buy a small, cheap safe. Or hide the pills. For a while, my wife hid them from me. Finally, I developed a knee issue that had my doc "up" the dose and I can leave her cheap, headache-producing Norcos alone. Also, to relieve the drama of running out, most insurance will (or are required to) refill you at 23 days. Mark your callendar. Save a week's worth every month. In 4 months you have a free month's amount. This is a good defense against the doctor being on vacation, "missing your request" and stuff like that. Also, it makes you keenly aware of the number of pills you take. To back off..start breaking them in half. If you start to get the "tingle bones" take the other half. One thing that I learned but cannot make use of is this simple truth. Pot helps. During a knee transplant 9 years ago, I had to take 8 or more Lortab 10's a day as I recovered. This was more than I'd ever taken. One day, my wife's medical pot was on the table. I'd taken one Lortab two hours before, then smoked just a little bit of her pot.  Later, at supper time, I felt a twinge in my knee and realized, I had SKIPPED 7 pills!  Wow! Alas, my job (a really good one) violates my civil rights with random tests. They would rather me destroy my body with pills than droping half of them with a hit of weed after I get home from work.  Pity. The 5 LT 10's I take every day, I don't need every day. On the 3-pill days, I get tingly and wake up at three a.m. throwing punches in the air as the "electric bones" rack my arms. I take the missed pills (one at a time) and try to get back to sleep. I am loooking into using a pill called clonidine to back me up when I don't want to take another pain killer. I have not got any answers on this strategy yet but if it works out, I will be able to "throtle" the amount of Opiates I take as needed without the horror of withdrawals.
Im with you. we can do this. I have faith that we can.
how did you do?  I'm trying to taper down as I type?
Here's a little background. 22 years old started messing around with vicodins  in high school never really an issue. college came around started getting a little more into them nothing too bad until my last like year and half of college started popping norco 10's like they were candy. mess around here and the with roxis and op's never too bad then. then towards end of school i couldnt do a single assignment if i wasn't on pills.first thing i think about when i wake up and about every 15 min throughout the day.  after graduation i thought i would stop but it only got worse. eating anywhere from 8 - 14 yellows 10/325 perday for the last 5-6 months with a few methadones here and there. i got a good job that i cant feel sick at. I have no one to talk to all my friends dont think i take them like this . my parents have no clue, i dont know what to do. every day i say today is going to be the last, i need to get off them but i need someone to talk to ..
I find green tea helped me alot today. I couldn't get any pills this morning and I drank 3 green tea drinks and I actually felt good. Because green tea is an antioxidant so its trying to get the toxins out your body.

methadone i was told is just another drug to get off of and my friend had bad withdrawls getting off your best bet is to wean your self off i'm trying to do the same with lortab 10's it's the hardest thing i did it before i was clean for 8 months and i was stupid to listen to a friend he said one wouldn't hurt and now i'm hooked again good luck
I know what you have gone through. I am 58 yrs old and just went through the same thing......taking 132 to 160 a month for almost 2 yrs. They were starting to make me feel worse (the acetaminaphen) and 3 of my teeth were chipping. If they were doing that to my teeth, imagine what they were doing on the inside. I went through extreme withdrawals for 8 to 10 days, diarrehea, leg cramps, no sleep for 5 days, couldn't eat for 4 days, everything would pass right through me for 8 to 10 days, tasted the chemicals being scraped off my insides the whole time. It was awful. I have 70 hours now feeling better. Good luck to you hon and spoil those children of yours! God Bless!
I think this will b good for me bcuz I'm only 23n I feel like a junkie at time hen I can't find the pills I take perks b cuz it makes me fell so mu h better that normal. Its taking its goal on me bcuz I'm trying to move I.to a new home but I spend a lot of my money on pills. I don't want to move and fail to take care of my bills n kid. Yes I have one. So the more he brain wanted to give up I fell that the earge will go away as well pray for me n my kid. THANKS FOR LISTENING

If your smart you would ask for ultram it is non narcotic and the best way to go it you every try to get off pain pills you can take 2 ultrams when you feel like the world is ending and it completely takes away the withdraw symptoms just tell your doc you read some articles on the web about non-narcotic pain meds and you would like to try it too I promise it helps I've had 11 surgerys and I'm 25 years old and you need to take vitamins and make sure you are eating good meals too keep your strength
I worked in a rehabilitation center for pain and what happens is then you get addicted to the methadone... please don’t take the methadone..
wow...this is a scary blog. I have been taking pain meds off and on for two years now. Went through vicodin 5, vicoden 10's and then percocet.  But was down to only one at bedtime. Was on gabapentin and now Cymbalta. Starting from having my knee replaced, then as I healed, I had the most intense burning sensation in my thigh. My butt feels like I am sitting on a rock and my lower back ALWAYS hurts. All on my right side (right knee replaced). I stopped taking the percocet about 5 days ago. Started the Cymbalta two days ago and I am seriously so sick to my stomach, I don't know what to do.  I want to stop the Cymbalta but do not want the burning in my thigh to come back. Back still aches and Lunesta helps me sleep at night but I am so worried about addiction as I was married to one years ago.  I was only taking ONE pill at night (percocet) and to read some of these storys, well, it is just frightening! Even on that dose, I am experiencing some withdrawl (withdrawal). AND I THINK IT"S BAD??? I have bad feelings for doctors any more. All they want to do is give you pain meds, and get you out of thier office so they can see another paitent. Then when you admit that you may have a problem.....they cut you off. My doc hasn't done that yet, but the last time I was in there (July) he prescibed me 100 percocet~~ really?  Still haven't had percocet or vicodin for 5 days now. SO I guess my question is...how much longer?
I'm also addicted to lortabs. I started taking them to be cool and feel high. I got pregnant at 16 and got off of them for a while but then my ex bf was selling them and was counting them on our bed one day. I was eight month's pregnant and he looked at me and I looked at him then he tossed a couple across the bed to me smiling. UNFORTUNATELY, I started taking them from then on till I had my daughter. I've Done prostitution, selling all my valuable items, and lying just to get money. Name it I've done it all for this damn pill. It *****. I am 19 years old and I don't see a future for myself. I can't get off of these on my own. I don't want my daughter tooken away from me either. I'm so depressed. I wish I was the happy drug free girl I used to be. I miss that.: (
I have been on norco for only 6 months for ruptured disks in my back. i thought i could quit i was taking 4 to 5 a day and then i quit and got so sick i was throwing up ever 20  mins. for a day at the hospital i tried to tell them what was making me so sick... and they kept me over night then a stupid Dr says i have gastontorits ..said i was wasting space and sent me home...with phenegran suppositories and pills. The kept trying to give me pills in the hospital by mouth and i told them i would just throw up...and i did. i am on day3... i am able to drunk water but not eat...i wanted to sleep through it but can't i feel like my skin is crawling..i am hot and cold and feel like i am dying...i really feel like i am dying
im on day 3dt ,ive been on this redneck herion(mean greens)10-650 for 3.5 years. i found out that if you lay across your bed on yor stomach with your legs hanging off just pass your knees,the leg cramps are not real bad.its like a constant stretch. for 2 years i started eating healthy.and i do as i type. its very important to drink lots of fluids while going through this, v8 juice gaterade,water, pedialite. no caffine!!!! eat your normal 3 meals a day and snack every 2 hrs in moderation between meals. take a muti vitamin every morning along with amodium. i havent had any head aches yet ,and only mild diarrea (diarrhea). i take 600mg ib prophin. so far its all good. im staying positive,i dont want them anymore, my family and my health is worth way more then these demon seeds.you have to ask yourself who is more important.i hope this will do some good for you peps. i will post again in a couple of days. good luck
Hi, today is day 1 of my kicking the habit for good.  I started with vikodin about 4 years ago which wasn't out of control. But once I took one 30 mg roxi 3 years ago, i was hooked. I LOVED the energy they gave me and now that I am doing my BEST to stay off, I feel I have zero energy and all my thoughts are consumed by them. I know this is all part of the "withdrawal process" but it really really *****. I am debating on getting on suboxine as a temporary fix but I heard that is just as hard, if not harder, to get off of.  I am at work as I type this...and feel like I am just waiting for someone to notice how "off" I am right now. I have the chills very bad today along with stomach/leg/and back cramps. I took some xanax this morning to ease the feeling of crawling out of my skin which has helped.  I am normally an anxious person and I strongly believe if I could find a Dr to help with my constant anxiety instead of just ALWAYS prescribing anti-depressants, then I would not have turned to the painkillers.  However, here I am stuck in this never-ending battle of addiction.  I know a lot of it is in my head and it is mind over matter.  However Day 1 is not going well and any advice is appreciated.  It helps just to read that I am not alone and many are suffering just as I am.  Thanks for listening and here we go - taking it one day at a time!!
Really? Very few symptoms?
Jesus doesn't like fibbers, Bob.
You must have been on Hydrocodone
for like, a week.
Prayer is good and belief in Jesus is
good also but Immodium,
Benadryl and Vitamin B-complex
will definitely help, along with the prayer!
how long do the withdrwals usually last??? i get sweaty, shaky, i already have anxiety but it makes it worst, the shins of my legs hurt so bad and it feels like i ran a 10k marathon and tore every muscle in my shin area. i've been on them for almost 3 yrs. but started takin 6-8 a day cuz of a work related injury and my body just got used to them so i started taking 2-3 at a time morning noon and night....**Lil*Miss**
I am 21 years old. I have been using close to 15-20 lorcet/norcos a day for the last couple years. Gradually working my way up. The last few months I have been trying extremely hard to stop, but the levels of uncomfort and insomnia are too much to stop cold turkey. Also, this drug does allow you to sit at home and do nothing while giving a false sense of happiness. I am trying to avoid in-patient detox. What is the best way too get off them without suffering extreme withdrawals? And if I gradually wanna reduce the amount I take, how do I do that without triggering the withdrawals.
I hope the best for everyone out there reading. Non addicts don't understand the frustration we deal with trying to fix ourselves.

Thanks again.
Andy
Hi. I have on oxycontin for 2 years now. Im 30 years old and have 2 young children. My highest dose was 40mg twice a day and now my doctor has dropped the dose to 15mg twice a day. Today is day 2 of withrawal. Its soooo sooo hard because no one knows what im going through as i havent told anyone just how fully hooked on this **** I am! I chew the tabs up tp get a better effect then finally I run out a week or so before my next docs appointment. My doc has threatened to cut me off so now im too scared to see him when ive taken too many! I also envy people who can walk around living a happy sober life as I have forgotten what its like to be happy without being high. Im getting chills and flu like symptons and i still have to try to carry on like nothing is wrong because no one not even my partner of 11 years knows exactly how depressed I am without it....I just dont know how to live a normal life without the ****! I wish my doctor never prescribed it in the first place!!!
please stop this and get help, dnt be ashamed. You can go to a local center that can help, it may be hard at first but you can do it and get ur LIFE back!! dnt give up!!!
Hey, For about six years I have taken 3 10mgs Percocet and within the last 8 months the Dr added 2 30mgs OxyContin, the Percocet is for "break through pain".  I am on day 22 of my "cold turkey" self withdrawal. I did or have not had any pill cravings with my withdrawal, i'm not sure if that's because i've never had the "high" or "euphoric high" Opiates can give. However, I am suffering physically such as anxiety, irritation, itching every where all day long, insomnia, shakes, agitated, stomach cramps ( no diarrhea), nausea, muscle aches and muscle cramps and sweating. The worst has to be my skin hurts, i'm guessing it's my nerve endings. Also, I feel like I've lost all coordination in my arm and legs, floppy would be my best description. The first week was not a bad withdrawal, it's been the last 7 days that has kicked my ***. It's something new everyday. Does this seem like a long withdrawal and if so at what point should I be going to a Dr?  

Thanks,
Gwen
Day 4, no hydrocodone...severe skin reaction ...
still taking 3 tramadol per day..

How long until hc symptoms go away?
Hi jlm86! You may want to start your own thread because you will get alot more support and answers from people. Do you know how to post your own question?
WOW. Everyone is describing what I'm going through now.  I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.  I have major flu like symptoms.  Back and all joints killing me.  Have two herneated disk in neck.  Can't keep anything in my stomach.  I've gone from 6 a day to 1-11/2 a day.  I am detoxing myself.  Sick of the pain and cycle.
I have been taking hydrocodone 30 mgs once a day for 5 months for back pain. I have tried quitting cold turkey because my back is getting better, but I have trouble sleeping. I sleep only an hour or two a night and have muscle aches and restlessness. Is there anything I can do to help me sleep better and ease the muscle pain without taking pain meds again?
Trust me, the first week is hell!  I have been on pain killers for almost two weeks, as my visits to the pain clinics seem to be more frequent, they insist in having me try different drugs and alternativies to sease my pain.  I suffer from an L5 herniation (lower back) and cannot stand the pain.  It interferes with my day to day activities.... I seem to not spend time with my kids as much as I would like to, just because I am in pain.  However, PLEASE LISTEN TO MY ADVICE!!! Doctors want this precisely! They are like sales people.... everytime they prescribe you with anything, they get a cut from what it's worth from the damn insurance companies.... It is all a plot and want humanity to sease!!  I'm probably over-reacting, I know!  But I honestly feel this way.... I have gone through hell going "cold turkey" but, just know that it is a normal reaction from your body, and yes, it is horrible, scary and almost feel like you're going to die!  But it is actually the contrary.... You will not die without the pills, but you will end-up harming yourself (and your loved ones) very much if you continue..... IT'S YOUR CHOICE ONLY!!  Try meditation, hot baths, soothing teas, (valerian herb) great for anxiety and sleep aid.  Do the right thing, do it naturaly!  Hope it helps! STAY STRONG, ONLY YOU CAN STOP YOURSELF!!!  :)
Sorry, I meant 2 yrs. Not 2 weeks! LOL, that would have been so much easier!!!!
Wow!  Good for you quitter28!  I know it has been a few months since you've posted this, I hope you're still doing well.  I totally relate to you... No matter what you're addicted to, it is an addiction and it is definitely very, very difficult to quit.  I have been taking lortabs 10-365, 10-500. Percocet 10-350 for almost 2 yrs now.  I am DONE!!!  I can't pissibly think that I need a damn pill in my life to bring me happiness and peace!  It is cool at first because it's a new feeling, a GREAT feeling, but it eats you alive and I can't afford it in my life anymore.  STAY STRONG PEEPS!!!  IF I CAN DO IT YOU ALL CAN! TRUST ME! :)
I have been taking oxycontin 30mg for two yrs for pain that has been uncontrollable since I had a severe lung infection. I'm addicted and still take  two a day everyday. I'm looking into getting off these horrible pills! I'm curious how long the withdrawal and detoxing can take if I not taking anything for the detoxing? Thanks for your advice and opinions!
AC
Some of these stories blow my mind about the quantity taken . I guess mine seems like nothing compared to some.. I have been taking 3 10 mg hydros a day for about 2 years. I have decided on my own to quit. On Monday thru Wednesday I have just had a half a tablet and today have had none. Worst thing for me is the panic attacks caused by this .. It is very scary and usually don't last more than a couple of hours. Have ringing in the ears, I'm irritable , can't really eat, finally had loose stool today , body aches to a degree... Sleeping is very hard too. Might sleep 3 hours and wake up sweating or sneeze and get goose bumps... The hard thing for me is, I have pills in the other room. I guess I need to flush them but think they are my safety net. I am going to quit tho. My family has no idea of addiction and they are drug free and would be upset if they knew I was abusing drugs. Good luck everyone looking at this post... It gave me inspiration looking at yours
Hi,,this is a old thread..start a new one at the top of the page..I too decided to quit on my own..I also has panic attack..caffeine make it worst... Congrats on every thing
I am also inerested in the methadone program.Iam taking 20 10mg norcos a day .Ihave to get off them
I know everyone is concerned with the pain pill problems but they have helped me through all the pain I have in my back and my bad feet. If everyone would just control how much they take and use their brain they would be fine. My girlfriends sisters and their husbands put me down for taking pills for my very bad back while they pile down their hard liquor everynite! Liquor kills more people than anything in this world but because the liquor industry controls our politicians nothing is said! It is the elephant in the room!!!!!
Hi cam
We are here because we can't control how much we take.  Why are you here?  If you need some help you have come to the right place.
I have come here to see if it is allright to quit taking the pills or if I should wean myself off of them.I am not putting anyone down for having problems with them and I have empathy for them! I am just saying people who live in glass houses should not throw stones! I think alchohol is a very bigger problem in this world and these pills can be beneficial if used properly.
The last part of your response made me kind of teary eyed because I want so bad for that day to come already! As all of use who are battling the taper/withdrawal from opiates. I just had to say that because it really reaffirmed hope after I literally JUST NOW had a miniature relapse in my vicodin taper. It reminded me there's a light at the other end and something to look forward to and I can't wait!

Thanks for that.
I'm on day 4. I decided to stop when I got the flu. Figured I would be off work for a week. I was taking 3 10 mg of hydro for 2 years now. Gave me energy to play softball and work. I loved being on them but had to realize I am not healthy at all. I run 2 miles 5 days a week but felt like I was cheating by taking the pills.
I don't know why I'm commenting on here other than I'm ready to get off the hydro too I take 8-10before noon and the rest of the day bout the same. But I've had enough and I don't no how to stop ?? pLEASE help me
If anyone was taking ten our twenty vicodin of any mg that's way to much you should try  percocet you'll only need a couple depending on your situation and mg I'm just trying to figure out how to get off hydrocodone and or oxycodone without using a nothrr drug
use kratom,for wthdrwl,for sure helping you,KRATOMCAPSULS.COM,,GO THAT WEB SITE
Been on norco 10/325 for about 2 mounths after neck fusion. Been taking 2 every 4 hours so around 10 a day how long will withdrawal last and how bad
My 1st time to take 512 was when I got skin cancer, I never used to take the frequently, some times I could pick prescriptions from my doctor and don't use them to get the meds because I did not need them, but I had from some one that they were worth money but never had buyers, but after I met a devils advocate one day who is addicted so he conviced me that he was using them for pain but as I hang out with this dude I realized that he could make lines for me to snoz, at 1st I said no but as time  when on I started doing his lines, that's how I was cought up, one day GOD sends me a dream and told me that hanging up with that guy doing pills was like putting a bullet in my head, its all some ones will power to over come dreams because for sure its a devils trap,jesus Christ had to suffer for our sins, its time for me to all pass through this suffering for the people we love, its the only way out, there is nothing jesus Christ cant do brothers and sisters, its just beliving that u are not going to die, jesus Christ says am on the door of your heart knocking for you to open to get my healing, who ever opens for Christ automatically receives healing. say enough is enough and accept to go through the side effects, just days or a week is not too much. GOD bless u all!!!! and thank you for your encouraging comments, its day 3 for me but with the grace of jesus am already filling much better!!!
This really inspirers me, because that's exactly how I feel. I'm just so so damn tired of thinking I need more than what my doctor writes. An I want to be able to join an love life again because the real me wants to not because of some stupid little pill, thinks it controls me...when I remember. I could tolerate almost anything before....and now my body wants to wait on some stupid little pill to come around because it thinks it needs it to get up an go. When I know I'll be doing my body an me a big favor!!! Plus I have a 8 yr old an a 15 yr old that's missing me because of a little damn pill....crazy. I have cut down. An not easy... An planning to go to only one a day. Like my doc says. Or when needed..or not at all.
I'm on day two from loratabs 7.5. I was on 10-12 a day and cut down to 6 a day. But could never get past 6. I'm  on day two without anything. I can't sleep. I've been using the Thomas Recipe. My head and legs are killing me.
Hi workin_mom, and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of advice and support here. Please start your own thread. This one is very old and long. You will get many more replies if you have your own thread. Just go to the top of this page, and click on the Post a Question Button, and then either copy and paste your question or just type it in. Please do that. Take care, and I wish you all the best!
**Hi workin_mom, and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of advice and support here. Please start your own thread. This one is very old and long. You will get many more replies if you have your own thread. Just go to the top of this page, and click on the Post a Question Button, and then either copy and paste your question or just type it in. Please do that. Take care, and I wish you all the best!**
This week I started to detox on my own. I have been taking narcos, Vicodin even Oxus, the last pill I took was on Thanksgiving, I must admit Friday and Saturday were pretty bad,I felt like I was crawling out of my skin.I still havn't slept that much but after 2 full days. I feel pretty good. Take ibuprofen and if you. The first 2 days are the worse, drink OJ,take vitamins, and drink a lot of fluids that cleans you out. If you can get threw the first 2 days, it isn't so bad,and think how good you will feel after 4 or 5 days. Good luck
Going on 4th Day cold-turkey, depression is getting a little better each day...That's my biggest reason, beside back issue that I like taking the Norco, I am anti social without them, and get stressed in public or at work. The cravings are still here and it helped reading these comments every time I get weak and the craving kicked up. Listening to music and forcing yourself to do things does help get your mind off it. HOWEVER, a light bulb just went off in my head to try and take one Goody's and/or BC powder since there is Acetaminophen in both those OTC headache powders which is also in the Norco. OMG I dont know why, but I wish I did this on day one. Anyone looking to go cold turkey may want to use but not abuse a OTC headache med with acetaminophen in it. GOOD GOD, I think I'm going to kick this dumb habit and really undo all the numbing the meds did to me to avoid real life. You started for a reason, to hide or cover up issues, dont forget, they never went away, however you,I, did with the pills. You only live once, so dont let these dumb pills take whatever its effecting in your life. IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN TOO. IF YOU FALL OFF THE HORSE, GET BACK ON, TRY TRY AND TRY AGAIN. I tell myself, just hold on for one more day.
my mother was on this initially in March 2014 for pain when she broke her arm....her doctor prescribed it......she will be 101 years old in September...her doctor is on the medical staff at the nursing home....I just found out today, August 25, 2014 that she is still on this medicine...taking 4 a day....the doctor neglected to review her meds obviously....I am very very upset and think he should be held legally accountable for this error on his part....I have not seen any side effects.....does anyone have any suggestions on where I should take this even further? The doctor has been notified and I will be following up on just what he is going to do about this when I return to the nursing homeon Wednesday
Wow sorry that's happening. I'm not certain what steps need to be taken, but I can ask around. Make sure to dispose of unused pills properly, a lot of people are doing silly things to get those.
Viewing 201-299 comments: