Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
I am addicted to oxycodone and I am scared of the withdrawal pains...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi everyone!! Let me first say that I am an addict. I have been wasting all of my money on oxycodone. I had a great job that I started 6 yrs. ago and then about 2 yrs. ago I started. I gained 40 pounds because of the drug but I couldn't stop; I became an awesome liar. I told everyone I had a medical issue then the lies just kept on coming; I think if there were a contest I would win "Liar of the Year." Anyhow!! After losing several friends to my addiction, and then recently losing my job I began to eat more and just hibernate from the world. I am 30 and I feel like ****. Right now I am crying because for the first time in my life I am being honest with myself. Its saturday and I have 4 oxycodone left. The person I buy them from gets them on Tuesday. I want to believe I have the strenght to say NO!! but I am not sure I can. What should I do? Any help would be appreciated.
Can I also mention I can't sleep at all. I find myself staying up late till 8:00AM then sleeping till 4:00PM. I want to buy a sleeping aide but I feel that I already have an addictive personality. Will things get better?
Sweetie, so many of us can say word for word what u just said.  Every word u just said is so like me.  I became an awesome liar.  Only have 2 left... gettin some more on Tuesday... I've said every word of that before.  I'm legally prescribed 4-30mg oxy's and 3 perc 10mg a day... I run out in a week.  After that I was stressing over where i was gonna get the money to pay for my $100 - $150 a day addiction after that to last me to the next month supply.  I came up with all kinds of lies to get it.  I never stole, but I might as well have with all the lies that I told, especially to myself.  I'm the biggest fool of them all.  But after about 30 tries, I'm on my 13th day of no pills.  Can you believe that?  I still can't.  If you can get through the hell of the withdrawals, you can get this far.  And after that it's all mental... keep yourself busy.  I've been fishing, takin' kids to the park, beach, etc etc.  Can't stop,  cuz when I stop I think about it.  You can do it.  If I can, anyone can.  You are in my thoughts and prayers, I'm here for you anytime.  If I don't respond immediately, I will respond as soon as I log on and see ya!!  I wish you well... hugz, Lil.  :)
Thanks that really means a lot. I am at the point where I just dont understand why I let it get this out of hand. Like I associate my happiness with the pills. No one in my family knows and if they knew I think they would all be so disappointed. Im the golden child gettting a BA Degree. Now I don't work and think about Pills all day long. I count them and tell myself if I only take one then I'll have two left for tomorrow. I wish I could turn back time and just erase this addiction.
I sure wish I could go back in time too.  I was prescribed this for back pain and I took 2 instead of one pill every 4 hours as needed for pain it's been an emotional roller coaster ever since.  Taking 2 instead of one feels soooooo much better.  And yes, I know exactly what you feel.  At first no one knew, so it was soooo hard for me to live.  I didn't know what I was gonna do.  But you know what?  Tellin' my hubby and my mom and dad actually made me feel better and gave me the strength to do what I have to do.  You would think that everyone is goin' to be mad but it's quite the opposite.  People understand and want to help if they really love you.  You can try to taper off, but with me it was all or none.  I tried to taper and I was only foolin' myself into thinkin' I could.  I would start off with 5 a day then at the end of the day, I'd have taken 20.  

Then I came up with a plan for my hubby to dole them out for me.  A couple of days of that and I'd sneakily ask him where they were and I'd get them while he was gettin' dressed for work.  I'd say "I won't take more than one I promise" and then he would shout from the other room where they were.  I'd go to the bottle and grab 7 or 8 out of it.  Then tell him to hide it again til he gets home from work and he can give me my next one then lol... little did he know I had 8 of them in my hand for the day instead of one lol...  

Everyone is different with the way they finally get rid of that nasty habit and so what if you fail the first 20 times, as long as you keep tryin' you are doin' alright.  Just dust your knees off and get back on the horse and try try again.  There are treatment centers to also help, detoxing programs that is outpatient also.  There is a drug on the market that I've heard from many people on this forum called subuxone I think.  I literally takes the withdrawal symptoms away if you quit cold turkey.  There is all kinds of alternatives.  But the most important thing is to keep tryin no matter how many times you fail if you fail.

Hugz,

Lil.  :)
I will say that you give me tremendous hope that this will go away. See I need to do this cold turkey because i don't want to get addicted to anything else - i have the worst kind of addictive perosnality (almost to the point of OCD). I notice that oxycodone makes me calm from all of that but your right if i fail i fail and just try again. Gosh its 6AM and I am wide awake - i have taken 2 all day mainly because I am running out but I hope I can be successfull like you. Day 13 an achievement for you, congrads. Thanks again :) Alex
You are so welcome... and you have taken a big step already by admitting to a total stranger your problem.   I'm proud of you!!  And also if you are only taking 2 a day or so, man it will be so much easier to quit than taking about 40 to 50 pills a day like i was.  I know you can do this!!  You just have to start doin' it and then it will be a long journey but you will be doin' it... have faith in yourself.  And thx so much for the praise, I needed that lol.  Hugz, Lil.  :)
Hey Alex,

Don't beat yourself up because of your past. This is a new day for you and it is going to be tough. After you take your last pills it will be 24 hrs before the hard w/d's set in. You should have some OC meds to help you get through this. Make sure you have some immodium, sleep aid, potassium, cough syrup and something to eat that is easy on the stomach. I made smoothies because they are easy to get down. You will be sneezing, coughing and feel like you have the flu. Just take it hour to hour and keep busy if you can. This will pass in 5-7 days and then you will find the mental part a challenge. Do you have support? You are going to change your life and be a better man for it. Think back to the time when you didn't use. Think of the pleasure you had doing the things that you most likely have given up due to drug use. Know that you are not alone in this and post your progress. It is good for you and beneficial to members of this forum. Feel free to give me a holler anytime.

Tim
Hey Alex, been there done that.... nuff said. (This is copyandpastestuff)

If you are brand new or hovering this might help
Go into a professional detox then straight to a rehab.....

With your cognitive thinking a behavior rehab should be first then a drug rehab.......

Your lies are a big part of you, it doesn't matter if there by commission or omission.....

Don't think your alone addicts are the greatest liars...........
i recently broke my arm and the pain was so bad that i had to take oxycodone/percocet. i knew it was a drug people got addicted to but i was like i m 16 it wqill be fine. after the first time i felt so calm and relaxed. i've had trouble with depression for a long time. i am a recovering cutter and recently things have gotten to the point where i am so lonely but i dont want to die because i want to see what will/ could happen. one night i decided to crush up the pill and i snorted it. it doesnt feel like an extreme high to me.. i just feel more calm and want to sleep but am able to stay alert... its weird... but its not that its so great but that i feel like i cant go through a night wiht out having to snort or/and take a pill. I want to stop but i cant let my mom or dad know. they would be so upset and blame themselves... but its not their fault at all! I was wondering if i should talk to the drug counselor at school but i m scared this is one of those things that is cause harm to myself/ i am in danger and then having to break the confidentiality law. i feel like if someone knew (other than my parents) i may have more support to prevent this from getting worse..... any ideas?

adri
It's like you are telling my story. Like most addicts..I too have a problem with oxy's I am going thur the w/d right now and I'll be honest it sucks, but you have to look at what you will be when it is over. No more being stoned for things or always counting the pills worried that your not going to have enouph. You have to take it one day at a time and don't worry about tomorrow...You can do it, keep posting the people here are great and they can get you thur it. Sorry if I am not making much sense i should probally stay off until the w/d get alittle better lol.
You can do it, stay strong :)
bobby
I got my wisdom teeth taken out four days ago, and prescribed Oxycodone and anti-inflammatory.  At first, they made me really sick, but by the second day, I started to feel really good, and figured out that it was the Oxycodone that was doing it.  I started taking more to get that 'head buzz' feeling for longer.
Yesterday, I complained to my girlfriend that I was running out of Oxycodone and that I needed more, even though I think the pain in my mouth is gone.
Now I have six pills left, and I'm wondering how I can come up with an excuse for more.  My mouth is still kind of swollen, so she would believe me.
I wondered if I was even addicted - if it was possible to get addicted to Oxycodone, so I google "addicted to oxycodone" (reading the spelling off of the bottle in front of me), and this page came up.

Reading this made me decide to come clean.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for sharing.

J   [:
I am currently 18 years old, a senior in high school and I'm not sure if I'm addicted or not. They were not prescribed to me, but my parents. However, I've a history of serious tooth pain.Recently, I've been worried that I'm addicted. Usually, I take 4 or 5 pills, but only at night. I want to stop taking the pills, and I know that aspect of stopping the addiction will not be a problem. I am just terrified of the withdraw symptoms. I don't want to tell my parents though, whichs means I have to do it without treatment.
Several years ago, I was taking 15-20 Lortabs a day, like you.  The withdrawal (I did it Cold Turkey) was horrible.  I just posted elsewhere that a specialist put me on Norco (codeine) and I'm scared to death.  One pill doesn't help the pain at all (I never lied about the pain), so I take two pills at a time.  Tomorrow my husband is going to call my specialist and tell him one pill simply is not enough to ease the pain.  I pray the doctor doesn't get angry with me, but the pain level is so severe it often wakes me from sleep.  I will not taking sleeping pills.  I'm simply at a loss as to what to do.  By the way, Norcos don't make me high at all like the Lortabs did, and believe it or not, I'm glad they don't because I'd be back to taking a huge amount again.  Best of luck to you.  I'm so glad I found this forum!
I am currently an addict...i snort about 60mg of oxycotin a day..i have been doing this over the past 4 months..no body knows about this addiction...i am sick of doing this drug and want to stop but i cannot get professional help because my parents will find out and they will blame themselves and never look at me the same ever again...does any body have any advice for me to steadily get off this drug without any professional help?  any advice would be greatly appriciated..thank you
HEY ALEX,
i AM WITHYOU BROTHER. JUST STARTED TAPEROING DOWN. I WAS TAKING 10-15 30MG ROXY A DAY. THIS IS MY 3RD DAY ONLY DOING 6 MY PLAN IS TO BE AT 4 BY MONDAY AND SO AND SO ON. I HAVE A GREAT FRIEND THAT IS HELPING ME ALONG. REMEMBER YOU DIDNT GET HOOKED IN A DAY YOU WONT QUIT IN A DAY. IT TAKES LOTS OF WILL POWER. "NO MATER WHAT YOU DO GOD CANT LOVE YOU ANY MORE , AND NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO HE WONT LOVE YOU ANY LESS"
  GOOD LUCK
If you think telling your parents will upset them, just think how bad they're going to feel somewhere down the line after you OD and die.  I speak from experience.  Don't fool around with this, it's way bigger than you are.  

I don't know about professional help: I'm a recovering alcoholic, 23 years sober, with the aid of AA, but I think opiates are harder.  If you work really hard at the NA program -- 90 meetings in 90 days, get a sponsor, do the steps -- it could work for you, and your parents might appreciate not having to lay out $15-20,000 a month for a residential rehab program, so you'd have nothing to lose by trying that first.  
let me first start by saying congrats on your success and thank you on your insight....i would be all for the 90 day NA program but can i do this without my parents finding out? i know i sound like a retart with this whole parents thing but i am only 21 years old, my parents pay for my college and car and i would have nothing if they find out....today was my first day slowing down to 40mg a day, i was thinking about doing this for another couple of days and then going to 20mg a day for a couple of days and then stop entirely in about 10 days and put up with the withdrawls...i was also wondering if anybody knows how long the withdrawls would last for me...i can see that my addiction isnt "as bad" as some of the others here, NO OFFENSE to anybody, so maybe my withdrawl (withdrawal) period would be shorter??..thanks again for your help
Six weeks ago i had a c-section and was prescribed 7.5/325 milligrams percocets.
During my hospital stay i was in percocet heaven. I rang the nurse every 3 and a half hours for meds; The nurses kept them coming around the clock; twenty-four seven.  I didn't even sleep. My doctor discharged me with a 30 7.5/325 percocet prescription and i took them all in a week.  Within six weeks i've had 3 prescriptions, though I only take about 2 or 3 at night only(which i started off taking two). I ought to confess, I AM ADDICTED!  The perks makes me feel  good, calm, and so freaky. I stopped taking them  cold turkey from my first c-section, but this time i seem more heads over heels for the pills. I am a professional liar. I can convince any doctor with a fake performance of my scale ten back spasms to prescribe me percocet.I have wenty-six and a half pills left and when they are done, I am quitting
Hey,
I can understand completely where you are coming from.  I'm 22 and my parents pay for my college, my car, and i still live at home.  The 200 bucks i make every night from waitressessing goes straight to my 300 dollar a day habit.  At this point I'm actually just disgusted with myself.  This started two summers ago when I was prescribed perc tens for a car accident i had.  Me and my boyfreind realized how amazing they were, and it was all down hill from there.  Two years later i take about 10-15 roxie 30's a day.  And let me tell you, they are not cheap!  Anyone selling these things are making a killling!  At first the euporic feeling of painkillers are out of this world, sex is better, my relationship was better, i was more talkative, got along with my parents and freinds better and had more energy all the time.  Now i have no energy, me and my boyfriend's relationship went to ****, and i feel depressed all the time.  I don't even take them to get high anymore, i take them to just get by day by day and not get withdrawels.  I have stopped a few times with the help of suboxin, the longest i ever lasted was two weeks.  i recently started going to NA meetings with a friend.  I have a year left of college, so to me that means i have a year left of partying, because if it goes farther then that, i will never save money and never get ahead.  i'm so done with this addiction man it is nothing but a headache, everyday trying to figure out how i'm gonna make that extra hundred bucks to feed my habit, i lie and steal, its disgusting. I'm actually disgusted with myself everyday, my poor olld school italian parents have no idea, or maybe there just lying to themselves, but since i  maintain an almost 4.0 gpa, they don't seem to think that there could be a problem.   This is my first time opeining up to strangers cuz in NA you can't talk unless you have been 24 hrs clean, and i never make that.  The hardest part is that everyone i know is addicted to these things, its insane!  Like no joke i can prob name 50 kids my age with the same problem as me, everyones selling them, taking them, everywhere i go people are getting high, snorting roxies or oxies.  I feel like i can't even get away from it!  I dkn.  My plan eventually is to ween off and then start suboxins, and then ween off of suboxins, cause i damn well know i can not do it with out subs, cuz i can't just take a week off of work and school to withdraw, unless i lie and say its the flu!  I hope i can do this, and be strong enough to get through this one day because one is just never enough, never...
Hey....looks like we were in the same boat for a while....i am now currently 3 months clean from painkillers....the best advice i can give you is to tell one of your closest friends about your addiction so you have someone who is truely there for you when u need to talk...this addiction is no joke espcially when you are alone all the time....i weened of oxys by goin from 60mg a day to 40mg and so on, i went thru withdrawls for about 5-6 days...another important thing is keeping busy like joining a gym and jogging, i tried to beat my body up so i was in the healthy mode and that kept my mind off of wanting to do oxys.......if u need some one to talk to im more than willing to help....good luck
hey alex i did through a detox  they will assist you with any wds. It is very hard to do onyour own  find support centter
at the momement im a addict, i was at one point taking 50Mg of oxcycodone every 2 to 4 hours during the day being perscribed as i had a tumer in my leg, i stopped taking them shortly after my operation, instantly i couldnt talk to any one i was sooooo depressed i wouldnt even answer my phone to my friends, withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms were so horrible so i just carryed on taking them! when i ran out had no other choice but to see my doctor who is reducing my tablets slowly its hard but no were near as hard as just quiting im only 18 AND EVRYONE WHO IS WORRIED ABOUT TELLING THERE PARENTS PLEASE JUST TELL THEM ULL BE SURPRISED AT THE OUTCOME THEY WILL JUST WANT YOU TO GET BETTER AND WILL HELP!
listen im high right now you faggs need to find other **** in your lives cuz it doesnt sound like any of you know jack ****. i know that sounds angry its cuz it is i love the world just dont like it to much.none of you have creeds or articles of faith empty shells unfullfilled potential. i take these mudder frackin pills ...cuz im ready to die you  batches sound like desperate hoppless puppies really you need someone to pat you on your heads what grow do something or dont addiction is choice evrything has conseequences EVRYTHING so stop not being in conrtol of yourself cuz you are when you die and take your last breathe as we all will its you and you and you and you and you and all you took into you so be happy and take what you want or shut up one day your eyes will close and thats that..........
I quit guys!
If your a noob addict, just stop cold turkey and respect the fear. never look back.
but most people here are "hardcores". this is my advice to them.
First make the decison to quit.
Cut your doses down to a quarter of  your normal doses for one week
wait 24 hours before your next dose. Yeah your gonna be sick as Fack,
but the once a day quarter doses is gonna give you some hope when you feel like your
gonna die or kill yourself. from this point on your not doing the drug to get high.
your doing it so you can keep from loosing your mind and loosing hope.
Your not going to die! Stand up and get MAD! Your can do it!
During the first week eat plenty of proteins, vitamins once a day and water.
your brain needs these things to repair the receptors that you Facked up.
good thing its not permenent damage.  now the next week you need to cut down to a quarter
of your first week dose. Then on the third week you go cold turkey. you need to continue to
eat plenty of proteins. this is important guys.  

Ill write more if anyone has any questions. I beat the addiction guys and i love life so much now.
I know the pain, and i can help

Me and my wife are both on Oxy she is taken 60mg 2 x day and i am taken 30mg 2 x day. At leaste thats what we are subscribed, however she really takes 4 a day and i take 1 or none. I have been on it for a year and she for 4 years. This is whats really going on. she takes her monthly doses in about a week or two and then she will take mine. at first she ask cause she claims she is really hurting and then she just takes them from me. I told her I am looking for alternative and thinking of just not getting them anymore. She will get very angry with me cause she knows that she wont have mine to take. I allow this to happen cause I feel it is not worth the yelling and acusing me of not caring for her but it is starting to get out of controll. she blames me when the doctor says no to early refills, she is starting to doctor shop and tells me she needs them for pain but I dont and will get very upset and even kick me out of my house if I dont give her my meds. she doeasnt work. she sleeps all day and stays awake all night. she wont clean house cook any meals. infact me and my daughter do all chores and cooks while she sits on the couch and claims she hurts to much, but is able to go do things when it is convient for her. I want to get her help but in a way that she wants it. i dont want her to think this is my ideal like I said it is not worth the yelling and fighting. I know if I love her I would do so I have heard this over and over but I am so tired of the fighting. Any advise on how to accomplish this.
KAH ,this is a very old post why don't you start a new thread there is tons of help here .I will tell you this no matter how much you want to her to see she has a problem and needs help it wont matter until she realizes it .She has a problem pain or no pain she sure sounds like an addict to me .
What you can do is STOP enabling her ..Cancel  your scripts or if you really feel like you need them stick them in a little lock box however it would be much eisier on you if they are not there at all .You are going to have to be strong and realize she is going to try to munipulate you !!!! we are here to support you ...
avis
I am prescribed 24 oxycodone for migraines (and it can only be refilled every 2 months or so if the doctor agrees)  They are 5mg and I cut them in half and have been taking that every day until they are gone just as a preventative.  Am I an addict?  I worry about that.  I seem to keep my migraines at bay though.  Any advice??
You should repost this question in a new thread because this thread was started in 2007.

I would need to know how many of these pills you take a day and how long you've been taking them to know whether or not you are addicted.  Common sense is that if you are taking an addictive substance every day you are or will be addicted.  To think that you would be somehow immune to physical addiction would be silly.  If you are only taking a very small amount only once per day it is possible that you are not addicted I guess.  Repost a new thread with more info and you'll get a lot of replies.
"HELP" i am 19 and i Quittttttt !!!!

i didnt think i was addicted i did it for the high snorting roxy's everyday for the past 2months but i would only do 1/4 of a M/30 at a time but i would do a half or a whole one everyday and then i saw myself taking 2 a day in a week then i opened my eyes  and now i regret it everyday.today is my 3rd day withdrawaling and i feel like **** i just cant wait till its over. someone plz tell me how to get thro this i feel like dying. im so cold but so hot at the same time. i am s0000 d0NEEE with this drug its the "deviL" i swear it is. i will never touch one again. it has made me depressed and feel like i no longer wanna live. but my parents dont know they think i have the flu. no one knows only 2 of my friends that were doing it wit me. i cant believe i let my self go but i need some of your advice on withdrawaling plzz im crying out "HELP ME"

thanks amanda a.
Adri92 - i am curious about you're cutting (apoligies to OP for hijacking thread, but this is a quick question).  did you find that takiing opiates diminished your impulses to cut?  could you replace cutting with pills?  obviously, you want to do neither, but i wonder if pills make you feel better and not want to cut.  i've always suspected that opiates might alieviate compulsive/impulsive behavior.  
I had spinal surgery almost 2 years ago. Spinal fusion/rods from T1 to T9. I was in considerable pain for a long time, and the cold weather coming up makes my back ache too. I was at first taking oxycontin, but stopped taking it and switched to percocet instead. I have been cutting the pills in half, and take 1/2 about every 3-4 hours. I think I'm addicted. Sometimes my back does really hurt, but my doc said once that could be my body mimicking the pain when it wants the drugs. However, often times the pain doesn't go away even when I take the pills. Anyway, I wake up around 3 in the morning and feel like my body is on fire. Is this a result of not taking the percocet during the night? Am I addicted? How do I tell? I don't take the pills to get high.......1/2 pill doesn't get me "high" so to speak, but I think that I still need them when I feel withdrawls coming on. I am alone, and working at a full time office job, and just purchased a home. I don't like the way I feel like when I take the pills, but I'm afraid of withdrawls, and have no one to help me get through. Should I go to my doctor, or check myself in to a rehab?
Hi hb,

this post is very old and a lot of these members are not here anymore. If you go to the top of this page and hit the green "Post A Question" button, you can copy and paste what you wrote here. That way you are introducing yourself to the community. If you need help, give a yell.

Hope to see you out there.
Like IBKleen said,,this is an old thread so go to the main forum page and just copy/paste what you wrote above in a question for all to see in a new thread which is your's..

In regard to "feeling on fire" in the middle of the night, that does sound like a withdrawal symptom..Percocets are fast acting and only last 3 or 4 hours vs oxycontin which is a time release that keeps a constant dose going for 12 hours which is the normal dosage..And yes ,it does sound like you have developed a dependency for the drug..