Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Is Klonopin as addictive as it seems?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Is Klonopin as addictive as it seems?

Hello everyone,
I recently posted about a chronic pain condition and wanting to ask for a stronger pain medicine (than darvocet + soma). A few days ago I saw my neurologist and he strongly said that it would be much better/safer/less addicting-chance to use more muscle relaxers instead of stronger pain meds. He left a prescription at the counter for me to pickup today.

He wrote a prescription for Klonopin, which seems to be mainly an anti anxiety drug...? It also seems to be in the same "benzo" class as xanax and valium, which I  know are quite addicting. As I said before, I'm looking to relieve my pain, not get hooked on some other medicine that won't do much good....does this sound like a better approach than changing to something like vicodin? While I know vicodin is also quite addicting, I have real pain, and at least that's listed as a pain reliever. I'm just confused and am scared that using a benzo med for this would be a big mistake and gamble.  I'm not really sure how addictive klonopin is, but from other posts, it definitely seems to have addictive qualities like xanax and valium.

any opinions? thanks again
I can only tell you from my Mother's dependence with this drug. It IS HIGHLY addictive and hard as hell to get off of. With her, it took a 1 1/2 weaning process with sometimes cutting pills into 1/8 ths. BE CAREFUL!!
This is my opinion and my experience with both drugs.I have never been a good sleeper.I am 50 years old.Two years ago my doctor gave me Klonipin (klonopin) .5mg once
a day.At night to help me sleep. Klon. is longer acting than Valium.Two years later I am still taking .5mg and not every night.When I started using loratabs,
I took 1 a day.Then 2. Then 3. within 2 months I was taking 6-7.Then I upgraded
to Roxicodone 30mg. I am sure everyone is different,but I have no desire to  eat the Klonipin (klonopin)  like candy.All benzos are addicting.But,I would not start on
Vicodin. Your asking for trouble.Have you ever tried 800mg Ibuprofen? You might be surprised how good it works.Try the Klonipin (klonopin) with Ibuprofen.What ever you do DON'T
START WITH THE DREADED HYDROCODONE !!!! Just my opinion. I hope someone will correct me if I am off base...Good luck. I hope you feel better.
It is very addicting and you can get physically addicted to it much faster than with opiates.. I don't get why he would use this for muscle relaxers?? That does not make sense to me at all. I would ask more questions. maybe get a second opinion. I would not take that for my back pain.. There has to be other solutions out there.. Have you tried other stuff like chiopractor, massage, rolphing, acupuncture,etc??  I know for me a combo of stuff helps. I would also post this on the Back problem forum. They may know more about whether this is common practice for pain.
Klonopin is addictive and so is hydocodone. Let me ask you this. Is your pain more a muscular type problem or is it a bone/ non-muscular problem. Klonopin and other benzos are widely prescribed to treat strains, sprains, tears and other musculr/ligament type problems either in conjunction with an opiate or with a NSAID. I would go with the Klonopin for now if it is a muscular type problem. Also, often we confuse back and neck problems with being a bone problem and even if it is a bone/disc problem sometimes if the muscles around the spinal column are treated the pain in the back/neck will subside. I would go with the Klonopin with an NDAID (like ibuprofen), if any of the above is the case and see how that works for a week or so. If it doesn't h help you can always look into your other options after you've tried that. I wish all the best in finding the relief you need.
Take Care,
Gypsy
Actually FLaddict makes very good points search those options first and then if none of those work seek medication treatment. Take Care