Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
L-Tyrosine/Valerian

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

L-Tyrosine/Valerian

Anyone ever heard of Valerian?  Went to the Health Food Store today and they pulled out a book related to vico withdrawals.  I purchased L-Tyrosine and a bottle of Valerain.  Supposedly you can take one Valerian Root every 4 hours to keep calm and the L-Tyrosine and B Complex helps with the energy level.  I also bought high-protein shakes to try for 2 days.  Anyone have any luck with this?
Many people on here praise valerian root. Most people use it for sleep. So..that being said, you may want to try your first dose at night..just in case. I used the b-complex and the l-tyrosine at one time or another. Neither worked great for me personally...but they do for many people. I did learn that the b complex needs to be a sublingual. It's not absorbed by the stomach well.
I actually just tried the l-tyrosine and b complex over the weekend after trying (unsuccessfully ) to detox cold turkey. I took the tyrosine last night and it made me feel jittery but took it today and i didn't feel that way at all. I think i'm just expecting these pills to make me feel like a little green lortab would and it's not working out that way. :) I'm going to continue taking them just cause I'm sure it can't hurt to have some vitamins but as far as helping with the way I feel without a tab...not much there.
I've read up on Valerian Root and heard good things about it helping with sleep. I found out about it by accident. I have a drug test at DRugs clinic and it came up positive for benzos even though i hadn't took any for approx 8wks and had been tested 5days before which was negative and defo had not taken anything since. I was really worked up about test result so started researching all other meds i was taking to see if any of them could cause false positives. I couldn't find anything i was taking that would cause false positve for benzos but came accross a few sites that stated Valerian Root, Kava Kava and St Johns Wort could cause false positives so if you do start taking it and have a drug test for anything that comes back positive it could be that.