Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Morphine

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Morphine

I read alot about Hydrocodone on this message board but not much about morphine. Does anyone know about the addictive nature of MS
Contin? I had a lumbar laminectomy (L1-L2) in April of 99. Approximately 3 weeks following the operation I suffered from severe back spasms. I immediately called my neurosurgeon and he told me there was nothing to worry about and that it was just some post operative condition. He did not want to examine me and just perscribed me flexaril and vicodin. The muscle spasms went away after about 3 weeks but occaisionally returning. My nerve pain returned in my hip so my Doc sent me to physical therapy. To make a long story short after 4 .5 months of perscribing hydrocodone for my complaints I decided to walk in to my Doc's office and demanded an appointment to find out what was wrong. I convinced him to send me over for an MRI. They admitted me on an emergency basis for a disc space infection. The infection completely ate up my disc and part of my vertabrae (osteomylitis). I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and then sent home for IV therapy for 4 more weeks.

In Sept of 99 I had to have another operation (different Dr.) to realign/stabilize my spine. They took part of my hip to fuse the vertabrae and then installed rods and screws. I still have severe nervre pain in my hip and leg and am treated at a pain clinic where the perscribe my meds. I am concered about addiction to the morphine. I take 180mgs of MS Contin er perday and 30 mgs MS Contin ir per day. Thank you in advance for your responses.
MS Cotin (morphine sulfate) is an opioid just like hydrocodone, except it is much more addicting than hydrocodone.  It is a schedule II controlled substance with a extremely high potential for physical and psy. dependance.  This drug should be taken with care, and your usage should be monitered by your physician.
I read earlier where someone compared the narcotic strength of
oxycotin (40mg tabs) to percs. Does anyone know how morphine (30mg tabs) compare to hydrocodone? As I mentioned earlier my doseage is 2ea (30mg ext release tablets) three times daily and 1ea (15mg immediate rel tablets) three times daily. If my math is correct thats 225mg per day. Is this a normal doseage? I am a 38 year old healthy male ( 5'9" approx 180lbs athletic build) in very good health exccept for my back troubles last year. I used to play alot of sports and run approx 20 miles a week. I have dieted since my operations to keep from getting overwieght since I cannot workout/run like I used to. Thanks for listening.

I'm not a doctor, but I am a long-time opiate user and chronic pain patient (disk problems) and I know that dosages of drugs like vicodin, oxycontin and percodan are relative. Everyone is different. You might get more relief from a small dose of hydrocodone than a theoretically more-potent dose of oxycodone (percs, oxycontin).
My best guess is, forgetting tolerance for a moment, that one percodan is equivalent to 10 to 15 mg of morphine (oral). Of course, tolerance is a big factor which, over time, makes these dosages meaningless. It's really about which drug gives you acceptable pain relief with the fewest side effects.

225 mg of morphine is "normal" if you've been using morphine for a while and that's the dosage you need to get relief.

I'm afraid Dr Steve will only answer the new thread. Don't expect a response to your question above other than from folks like me.

one tip: www.rxlist.com includes manufacturer's lit on each drug, which usually uses morphine as a yardstick for potency. You might find percodan compared to a dose of morphine at this site. Check it out. Lots of good info. Good luck.