Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
N+ for dummies

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

N+ for dummies

So, I have unfortunately got myself into a predicament, made worse only by the fact that this is round #2 for me. Have been taking 40(ish) N+ every day for what must be almost 4 years. About a year ago I saw a doctor and managed to wean down on codeine tabs which I really didn't stick out for long once I had come off them - maybe a month? I now have to do this again, but probably on my own as i can't imagine going back!
I went to another doctor a while ago (one I didn't know) and got not a lot of help there unfortunately. So I am now just trying to taper off the actual N+ tablets myself - which I have half heartedly been attempting for months!
My stomach is wrecked and I basically suck.
I can't really get time off work so I will have to do it this way and hope I can reallly stick to it.
My partner knew last time but there is no way I can tell him this time.
Ummm...any encouraging words appreciated.
Has anyone succesfuly stopped doing it this way?
Tags: N+, Addiction, wean
Yes if u do that 10 a week then 5 a week you will have withdrawals but following everyones advice you will be fine...Yes i experienced the void;sadness,anxiety,feelings of loss,but this also is very normal.I dealt with it by becoming as healthy as i could eating well hydrating and very importantly excercising..I started walkin everyday,getting some air listening to the birds and everyday noises that i hadnt heard for years in my chemical haze..That is such a natural buzz and far exceeds anything a poison can give..In the uk and other countries codeine is available otc at 15mg which is shocking,but the reality is thats how it is..You will get through this,take care
Harms
I am glad you posted.  Tapering needs to be done very slowly.  How much have you come down already?
So just trying to start on no more that 15tabs (half normal amount) a day for a week, then should go down to ten...I feel like the faster the better though! Dragging it out seems so painful and like I'm more likely to give up and just take a whole bunch!
You know what will work the best for you.  You wont feel real good but you can get thru this.  Have you thought about any type of recovery care?  Can you buy these pills from a chemist?
Hi,Im from the uk and was addicted to nurofen plus,at my worst i was buying 2 packs of 32 a day for quite a few years..In the uk you could visit any number of chemists and buy 100s if u wanted.With 12mg of codeine its pretty strong stuff..Once i got down to 32 a day i actually made the jump ct..I would say 3 to 7 days of varying withdrawals..Its not fun but very doable.I kept hydrated which is so important,energy supplements..Try and do a little excercise even a small walk out..Plenty of baths for the ache,potassium helps if u get restless legs..Just accept sleep when u can get it,dont make your bed somewhere that u fight every night..But let me say after about 5 days each day gets better and better and its the best decision u can make..Good luck
Harms
Thanks. I guess the reason I wanted to post on here is because without doing this (because this time I don't have the support from a doctor or my partner) - its so easy to just pretend what you're doing is not happening. I think if I can continue to converse with people about it, then I am actively thinking about this stupid thing I am doing to myself every day, no more head in the sand. I think I will go to 10 a day next week, then to 5 and then CT. Its really nice to hear that you have been able to do this! Its what I need to hear for sure. I try to just think about it one day at a time but I'm a bit scared about the depression I'm going to face once I've stopped properly! Did you experience this yourself? And how long for? I really wish there were no codeine products sold over the counter! Thanks so much for your words anyway.
Harms
Have you thought of going to your local drugs n alcohol service? That's what I'm doing anyway they're quite helpful.
Its not just about now. You need to have a plan in place for after care. You don't want to quit to re-start again. Whether you taper or go cold turkey n do this successfully will be brilliant.
What are you going to do to prevent future relapse? NA? Counselling? Help others on here? Not having a go as i haven't quit yet either im with drug n alcohol waiting to be allocated to a keyworker.
Not saying you should go down that route but you did say you were addicted before n have relapsed roght? So there needs to be thought into aftercare now because you don't want to do all this work (go through w/ d etc) for it to be wasted.

Take care,
Evey x
With all due respect, you should perhaps take your own advice.  We've recommended all of the same to YOU and you've made an excuse as to why you couldn't do any of them.

I think you have a ways to go in your own recovery before you can start advising others.  

With respect nursegirl, please do not lecture me on another person's thread. If you have an issue with me kindly send me a private message. And I seem to remember you saying you were going to to give me some space. Have you had an addiction yourself?

Not that i need to explain myself to you but the fact I'm struggling makes me in a perfect position to discuss with 'others going through a similar situation. If i can help or be there for others then I will do so.

Can someone please pm me how to block / ignore as i am visual inpaired.

Thank you.
Evey
No lecture, evey, just pointing out the obvious.

You cannot tell people to do things you yourself are not willing to do.  Well, you CAN, but it certainly sends a mixed message, doesn't it?

On this site, there is no "ignore" feature where you can block yourself from seeing someone's posts.  The "block" feature MH has will prevent someone from contacting you, which you can do, however, I have no intentions of contacting you, so no worries there.
So thanks to those who have already left encouraging words for me! I'll explain again exactly what is happening with me...(embarrassed as I am)
I am addicted to nurofen + (over the counter codeine) which I have been taking in ridiculous doses (60ish tablets) every day for about 4 years - apart from a brief hiatus when I came off them almost a year ago under the supervision of my doctor. The hiatus was not long, perhaps a month or 6 weeks before I was taking them again.
This time I need to do it on my own as I feel like I can't go back to my doctor and NO WAY can I tell my partner (again).
So I have done a week of 15 per day, but over the weekend, I took a few more. This week I hope to take 10 per day, then taper down further in the following weeks.
I'm seeking any suggestions from people who have done this, or even just words from people who have been here - I want to know that people have done this before and  been okay. I feel like its so weird how I can ignore what I'm doing to myself when I'm so ill and tired and just dead-inside so much of the time...
There is no way I can have a healthy future while I keep doing this!
I am determined to stop - and in fact would prefer to just stop CT except I need to be at work etc...
So I'm hoping I can just keep at it and do it this way....
You seem quite smart n that you are trying to sort yourself out. I hope people come along soon who are sble to help you. As i have not conquered this myself I cannot do that. All I can do is wish you well n be here if you need anyone to vent to.
All the best n good luck.
Evey x
No 'telling' anyone what to do at all. Being supportive n giving suggestions BASED on other people's experience. Being supportive of someone going through the same as what I am going through.
People have the right to accept or disregard whatever they want.
They can read my threads to see that I haven't beat my addiction so i am not misleading anyone.
Evey x
Thanks I appreciate your words. You are dead right it is not just about NOW - and I will likely need to speak to somebody before this is over to make sure it remains over. Good luck to you too.