Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Narcotic bowel

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Narcotic bowel

Please anyone out there have any info on this condition I am frightened
Where did you hear about this??
If your Bowels are severely impacted.. you can have serious health consequences.. They do a procedure that is relatively common with elders.. where they literally have to go and chop it up to make it able for them to pass... I have nothing else to offer but so sorry you are having to deal with this issue.. I hope you have further discussions with your Dr. about options available to you.. I wish you well.. lesa
Narcotic bowel syndrome (NBS) is a subset of opioid bowel dysfunction that is characterized by chronic or frequently recurring abdominal pain that worsens with continued or escalating dosages of narcotics. This syndrome is underrecognized and may be becoming more prevalent. In the United States this may be the result of increases in using narcotics for chronic nonmalignant painful disorders, and the development of maladaptive therapeutic interactions around its use. NBS can occur in patients with no prior gastrointestinal disorder who receive high dosages of narcotics after surgery or acute painful problems, and among patients with functional gastrointestinal disorders or other chronic gastrointestinal diseases who are managed by physicians who are unaware of the hyperalgesic effects of chronic opioids. The evidence for the enhanced pain perception is based on the following: (1) activation of excitatory antianalgesic pathways within a bimodal opioid regulation system, (2) descending facilitation of pain at the rostral ventral medulla and pain facilitation via dynorphin and cholecystokinin activation, and (3) glial cell activation that produces morphine tolerance and enhances opioid-induced pain. Treatment involves early recognition of the syndrome, an effective physician–patient relationship, graded withdrawal of the narcotic according to a specified withdrawal program, and the institution of medications to reduce withdrawal effects