Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Need to stop taking pain meds

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Need to stop taking pain meds

Because of a back and leg problem I first was put on lortab 10 by the pain clinic, than 5 years later they changed it to percocet 10 ( 5 times a day). My pain is real. It stops me from working, playing with my grandchildren and having a normal life. But I had some stolen from me and ran out before time for a refill. i noticed I was sick, shaky. had panic attacks, couldn't sleep and hurt like crazy. I just could not function. I am 49 and do not want to live like this anymore. Yes the med stopped my pain, but if I don't take it I have no real life. I scared, really scared. I have prayed and tried everything I know to do. Can someone please give me some ideas. I don't work so I have no medical insurance. It is all I can do to get the money up for my visit to the pain clinic and for my meds.
Hi & Welcome,

I am not sure what your question is. Are you looking to stop taking the pain meds?
How were your meds stolen?
Are you looking to try other pain management options?  Do you want off the pain meds?  I also have severe back problems and was put on fentanyl and percs.  I decided to come off all the crap to try to live a different life.  I am not sure how I am going to do this and it is scary but I am willing to try but I also have insurance.  I feel really bad that you are in the situation and are unable to try different methods to control your pain.  Are there any free clinics in your town?  Can you get on disability?  If you did you could get insurance through the gov't.   If you can't work I would look at trying to get on disability.