Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
New Medicine to stop craving for Herion Addicts in recovery

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have an 18 year old son who is a Herion addict. I heard on a news show that there is a new Medicine to help stop the craving for Herion but was not yet in the U.S.
Can anyone tell me where this medicine is.
My wife and I are going crazy trying to keep him sober.
We truly belive him that he does want to stay clean but can't
Drug rehabs have not been the answer.

Thank you
Alex1381
I believe that de-tox fascilities are now prescribing Buprenorphine for opiate withdrawl (withdrawal). I ordered a batch from an overseas pharmacist to see what all the fuss was about.  I didn't experiance any euphoria from this drug, but I did feel a little numb all over, indicating this to be a powerfull pain reliever.
I believe it's the buprenorphine. It worked very well for me. Read the posting between myself and Brighty below and run a search engine on "buprenorphine". There's a lot of info on the net. Good Luck.
We have the same problem with our daughter. I think it's buprenorphine. Look below and see my questions to Steve and his responses to me. Also our family doctor is doing a little research on it for us before prescribing it. Also please look at my questions here on Wellbutrin and Zyban, and the responses. My daughter is to start on it this week until we get more info on the buprenorphine. It's an antidepressant and may help to some degree, which is to my thinking at least worth trying. The concern seems to be the possibilities of seizures so think it over. If I learn more I will post here to you. Good luck. Brighty
The medicine is, as the others posted, Buprenorphine.  It's brand name in the US is Buprenex.  As of right now, it is available in injections only, although the pill is being released soon.  Buprenorphine is an interesting medicine (I have been detoxed with it 3 times).  It is an opiate, however, it has agonist-antagonist qualities.  Esentially, it binds to the opiate receptors in the brain, therefore one does not crave opiates or have withdrawal.  Because of its antagonist properties it does not get one "high" and therefore has limited abuse potential.  (I say limited because I understand it is diverted for street use so it is somewhat abused).  To further limit abuse, the drug is going to be released in pill form combined with Naltrexone, a narcotic antagonist.

Buprenorphine is still untested long term, and hence I am not certain I would want my child on it on a long term basis like methadone.  It is great as a week long detox drug.  If you read the journal articles on the internet, you will get more information.  I think you will find that if your son keeps relapsing, methadone maintainence may be the way to go.

Another thought just hit me.  The "drug" you may be referring to might not be Buprenorphine, but might be Ibogaine.  Ibogaine is believed to limit cravings and "break" the addiction cycle.  It is in preliminary research but can be obtained over the internet.  For more info. see www.ibogainedossier.org.  Best of luck to you and your son.  Stay strong and remember, it is a disease like cancer.  It is not his fault.
Sorry, it's www.ibogaine.org and the name of the website is ibogaine dossier.  A fascinating potential "cure" for opiate addiction.
This is for Steve... can you find our dialog on Buprenorphine here anywhere ? I was just trying to find it and it seems to be gone.. or else I need to see the opthamologist !!! Can anyone locate it ? I was wondering if you had replied to my last question and alas.. I can't find any of our Q and A ?? I did a search on Buprenorphine and find nothing also. Did the staff delete it ?? I will look again before I post this. Can anyone help me with this ??
Hi Brighty. Gone for good. Question for the "moderator" of this site..... something wrong with the posting? something wrong with the subject? Looked like a very civil exchange of opinion to me. I do hope there have been technical problems... kinda strange though.... does the webmaster care to comment? Think you guys should. The doubt of deliberate censorship is enough to make me wish i had not open my heart...... we'll see.
This is for Brian who posted above.. thank you for sharing your experiences on Buprenorphine.. Can you tell us how long you used it.. only a few days of detox ?? How did you handle cravings after the detox and did you consider if a light maintenance use of bup would have helped you for a while with them ? Did your doctor tell you much about it? I am curious because your comments led to recommending the  powerful addictive drug methadone for maintenance rather than the buprenorphine... I am simply wondering what brought you to this conclusion since you did have 3 detoxes with the bup. Your reply is appreciated. Brighty
Hi Steve,

I got a general type of reply in my e-mail that when messages get old they "age out" and are removed from the forum. This does not apply to our postings. Your replies to my questions were valuable to me and other readers. I realize that we engaged in a tiny bit of "chit chat" but the information on BUPRENORPNINE should be posted here. I did a fourm and arvhive search and nothing comes up. When our postings were here in the forum the search for BUPRENORPNINE did come up. I agree there seems to be  censorship at work here which will render this a controlled forum.. afterall much of the information here is not verified by professionals and is just experiential exchange by participants. The information you passed to me is not erased from my memory... an addiction specialist is to meet with my daughter in her recovery program.. he is very optimistic about buprenorphine... so maybe he'll have her on it depending on the results of her eval with him.. and the policies of the recovery program. In any case I am certainly glad you opened your heart here... it was appropriate and helpful to us and likely to many others. Thank you Steve. PS... I wonder if ibogaine discussion is welcome here as it relates to addiction ??
Your son will not stay clean until he WANTS too.Simple
The longest I was on buprenorphine was 5 or six days, as a detox drug only, not for maintainence.  I handled cravings after detox sometimes by using (great way to handle huh) and other times simply by going to meetings.  Yes, buprenorphine will help with cravings, but the bottom line is it is a narcotic.  Any narcotic will stop cravings since what the cravings are are your opiate receptors crying out for more opiate.  Thus at some point one has to get off the narcotic and face the cravings.  Buprenorphine has some good qualities for detox, but less is known about how effective it will be for long term maintainence.  Therefore, since methadone is so established, I think if one is going to be maintained long term it is the preferred drug.  However, methadone is VERY hard to get off of, and buprenorphine is less so.  My recommendation is for addicts to detox and not be maintained on any narcotic long term (unless they are chronic relapsers with little hope of staying off narcotics).  Just my opinion.
Thanks Brian for your reply. I did not know that buprenorphine was a narcotic. I did know that it does touch the opiate receptors thus causing a feeling of opiate satisfaction. If it's a narcotic, then why is it not addictive and why does it have little abuse potential ?? Also, you mentioned the ibogaine site above. I also agree that it is fascinating.. however illegal in the US. I am a proponent of people seeking alternative remedies.. especially in cases where our modern western medicine cannot offer any cure or any hope. Good that you mentioned that web site. Best wishes, Brighty
Buprenorphine has a limited abuse potential because it is in a class of narcotics that have both agonist and antagonist properties.  Basically what that means is it both binds to the opiate receptors and stimulates them mildly, thus making them satisfied (and not causing withdrawal) while at the same time it will keep other opiates from binding to the receptors (and will also cause withdrawal if taken too soon because it will cause other opiates to be "knocked off" the receptors).  By only stimulating the receptors mildly, buprenorphine does not give one a "high" and hence it is not frequently abused.  The mild feeling it may give some users does not really increase with an increase in dosage, also limiting abuse.  I agree with you about the Ibogaine and would love to find out more directly from someone who has undergone that treatment what the result was.  There are apparently places to order the Ibogaine on the Web, but as you said it is currently not legal in the US.  Guess the government would rather have millions of addicts!  Take care, Brian
Hi this message is for anyone who is on this list.  I stumbled on this list because I was looking for some help on Heroin addiction and withdrawl (withdrawal).  THis is my seventh day of goinh without the Heroin.  I have been awake the whole time and I still haven't slept.  It's rough . Quite rough.  I feel like I am going crazy.  I need peolple to talk to.   I know that when my friend were going through withdrawl (withdrawal) from other addictions such as alcohol, etc.  So if some one could write back to me with some information on how to cope it would be greatly appreciated because I am doing this cold turkey.  Today is actually the first day I have had the ambition to even get on the computer.  I am a writer and artist at heart.  And the addiction got such a hold of me that I let my talents go to waste.  I wrote a poem. I'll put on the next time I check my e-mail.  Thank you everyone.     Alexis
Peace and blessings to you Alexis !! My daughter is in recovery now for heroin addiction. You are courageous and I will pray for you !!! Steve and Brian post here often and have had success with buprenorphine... I hope you read all the posts here and find out things that can help you. Please find an addiction doctor in your area right away. You really should look into a recovery program right away  also... there are different types. I'm afraid that without some support you could lapse into your old habits before too long.. so PLEASE don't handle this alone. I will be happy to correspond with you for encouragement if you want someone to talk to and to share stuff... but I am not addicted so I won't be able to offer you what others here can offer. I am sure you will hear from them soon. But feel free to write anyway.
Based on what you report it seems that bup would be safer than methadone for maintenance. What do you think ? I am wondering if a person could just take their own when cravings start.. sounds like it's safe to hold on to at home. Your opinion ?

I am chatting via personal e-mail with a number of people who have undergone ibogaine treatments and also learning how to obtain treatment. You can go to www.ibogaine.org to get started or you can e-mail me and I will be happy to direct you. I would not.. definitely not.. order it on the web unless you are having it mailed to an address out ot the country !! I don't think home treatment would be a good idea either. You're right....the govenrment would prefer to have millions of addicts.... addiction is a multi billion dollar industry... and any treatment that could put a dent in it is not likely to be easily approved. My opinion of course.
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your perspectives on the idea of buprenorphine for maintenance. I am still not understanding addiction I guess. ...isn't it the cravings that cause chronic relapse ?? I had the idea that if cravings disappeared then there would not be this feeling of the opiate receptors crying out for opiate. Thus a major reason for using has diminished.( Right?) So that's why I figured just take a bup when the cravings arrive instead of the heavy addictive methadone.. which is a daily thing and also not much of a therapeutic environment. Maybe I need corrections in my thinking :-))  Please explain this to me.

As far as the ibogaine, yes, I am currently involved in personal e-mails with a number of people who have used it successfully and it has been a God send to them. It's a lot of sorting out though on the various types of treatments and the treatment options as far as "practitioners" go. My daughter is in traditional rehab type recovery now and may opt for a longer program when her 3 months are up. But she is interested so I am doing all the footwork for her.  E-mail me if you wish and I will direct you into the "loop'.. then you can find out alot on your own. My mail is : ***@****
Best wishes, Brighty
Hi.  I think buprenorphine has good potential for maintainence.  As far as having it around the house and being able to take it whenever you want, that is somewhat of a problem.  First, in US there is still not a pill (although it is being released soon).  So, you have to either get IM injections or have it made into a troche which is then placed under the tongue.  Also, when I had the troches laying around, although they didn't do much for me (in terms of getting high) I did abuse them.  They had a slight intoxicating effect and hence for an addict they really shouldn't be around the house so to speak.  Bup and methadone are not really for cravings, they are either a detox med or a maintainence med for those who chronically relapse.  Unfortunately, cravings are a problem but we learn in NA to simply wait them out--they do go away.  At first they are more frequent, but they dissipate over time.  Finally, with respect to the ibogaine I agree that ibogaine.org is a good resource.  Have you yet met anyone online that has used it successfully?  I'd be interested to find out their experience.  Best wishes.  Brian
Alexis, you are almost at the point where the withdrawal will stop (it should be getting much easier).  I agree with Brighty that an addiction doc would be a big help.  They can assist with meds that will help you sleep and also start treating the addiction itself.  All I can suggest at this point is rest, eat well, drink plenty of fluids and TRY to get to some NA meetings.  The meetings really do help.  I was resistant to going when I first got clean, and I constantly relapsed.  After I started going to meetings it kept me on track.  Good luck and let us know how you are.
I wish I could e-mail, unfortunately my computer is used by others who I must keep from knowing my past.  With respect to the cravings, they are a major reason why addicts relapse, but are not the only reason.  Most addiction specialists seem to recommend that narcotic antagonists should only be used to keep chronic relapsers (i.e. those who have relapsed numerous times despite programs, etc.) from pursuing active addiction.  The reason is that at some point unless the addict is willing to spend an entire lifetime addicted to the maintainence medication, they will have to go through the withdrawal and cravings.  Hence my advice to people is to use other means to deal with the cravings (talking at meetings, exercise, etc.) rather than relying on a medication which has its own problems.  Finally, buprenorphine IS a narcotic and though it will keep one from craving I seriously doubt an addict could have a supply of it around and not take it unless they had a craving.  My experience is that I would take it just to feel "better" even if I was feeling fine.  Brian
Hi Brian,

Thanks again for some inside perspectives on the issues of cravings which most non addicts can only relate to being hungry or wanting a particular food we don't really need but feel we have to have. So we really need education as to this mysterious thing called addiction. Your comments about taking something to feel better even if you were feeling fine are very revealing... my daughter has the attitude she needs to take something for nearly any problem that exists... my attitude has been to *do* something. I think I may be "getting it" little by little.

Well you do know the ibogaine site so if you go there you will find some other links.. but the way I found people to personally correspond with who have used ibogaine was from subscribing to the e-list which is a link listed at the www.ibogaine.org site. I suppose this will not work for you because subscribing to the list is an e-mail function. It's an open forum but all the responses and comments arrive in your e-mail. From this list people contacted me personally rather than in the "forum" and told me their experiences, treatment options and providers. I have also had treatment providers and researchers etc.. contact me via e-mail and give me info or send me their web sites.  Besides www.ibogaine.org you may want to try www.ibogaine.co.uk  where you will find treatment links and links to testimonials. Since you cannot use the e-mail I think the testimonials will be the next best way to hear from people who had success. Also another good site is www.ibeginagain.org
Best wishes, Brighy
Just as your daughter, I remember thinking I needed something to make me feel better.  NA has really helped me to see that I will only feel better by doing certain things (staying clean, going to meetings, living a healthy lifestyle, being totally honest with myself and others).  I strongly urge you to have your daughter get involved with NA.  I initially resisted the idea.  I am a professional, I won't fit in with those folks I said to myself.  Well, guess what, we have more in common than I ever thought.  We have all had cravings, thought we could never be happy without the drugs, thought they were "the answer", etc.  Perhaps the best part of NA is hearing the stories of people who were far worse off than you and hearing how their lives are so much better now.  In some ways the group effect has a very powerful influence on the desire to stay clean.  In addition, your daughter can hear how far one will fall if not vigilant against the drugs.  I heard a woman tearfully relating how her husband relapsed after TEN years off heroin and died that night of an overdose.  A very powerful lesson on how one can NEVER become complacent with this deadly disease.  In short, I guess what I am saying is the only way to beat this disease is to attack it on a daily basis.  Simply trying to stay away from the drugs does NOT work.
I agree with you totally. My daughter is in a very structured recovery program now and support groups are a key component. I have attended many N/A meetings with her in the past year as well. There is an active Rational Recovery support group near our community and they do seem to attract a big following. Seems that there are fewer of them so the people who prefer this philosophy travel some miles to attend. But which ever path it is important to have support and to keep vigilant and close to God as well. Best wishes, Brighty
Once again I will try to start detoxing myself from heroin tomorrow.  How many times have I tried to do this?  There has been some success in the past, so I know what it feels like to be happy and clean, that's why I don't give up.
  Sometimes I feel like something is very wrong with me, why can't I stay clean?  Addiction is so very painful, I want sobriety more than anything in this world!  Reading what other people say helps alot, it's my first time visiting this web sight.  When I start to detox, I start feeling lonely, depressed, and I have no energy at all.  I know it will go away eventually, but I've never been able to get past 2 or 3 days.  I'd appreciate any feedback.  I am so tired!!  Thankyou!
The worst part of the detox (physically) is the first 72 hours or so.  Then comes the depression and craving, but remember, it DOES get easier.  If you really want to get this gorilla off your back you HAVE TO ride out the tough part.  Can you go to an addiction doctor to help with meds to get you through this?  I have found it makes it much easier.  Also, go to NA and let people be there for you.  It makes you feel less lonely.  We've all been there before and made it through.  This detox won't kill you but if you keep using it will.  Take care.
Our daughter was prescribed buprenex long-term (over 1 year) for heroin addiction recovery and became extremely dependent with ever-higher dosages required. He doctor finally weened her from the buprenex (accompanied by what she called "worse withdrawl (withdrawal) than from heroin)and successively put her on codeine, vicodin and finally 180 mg per day of morphine (MS Contin) -- howver, now the diagnosis is fibromyalgia, so the drugs are supposed to be for pain relief rather than addiction control. In my opinion, the the buprenex did nothing except prolong a serious opiate addiction.
Thanks for adding your extremely important information to the buprenex questions I have had. It's really awful that your daughter has had to endure more and prolonged withdrawl (withdrawal) from the medication that was supposed to help her. The 2 people who reported on their buprenex experiences were only on it short term and I was wondering why not longer term... you just answered that for me. BTW, deep tissue massage is reported to be helpful with fibromyalgia... maybe adding this therapy for your dauther's regimen will eventually help her wean off some of the meds. Well, it's a thought anyway. Best wishes to all of you. Brighty
Over here we have a relatively new drug called Lofexidine hydrochloride or Britlofex. It is an alpha2 adrenergic agonist. It " gets rid of " the excess noradrenaline in the system, which is believed to cause some of physical symptoms and so makes withdrawal easier. It is similar to Clonidine but with less risks but it still can raise blood pressure. In England it is availible from the doctor without the need for a specialist detox bed. I have used lofexidine twice. The 1st time it eased the pain immensly as I was undergoing Naltrexone detox, and the 2nd time I used it solely as a drug to withdraw from heroin with. I am happy to say I have been clean for  3weeks now. Everyday is hard but you've got to take it that 1 day at a time.  Hope to hear some response!!!!
Sounds like a promising addition to the drug choices for opiate detox.  You say it raises blood pressure.  I would have thought it would lower pressure like clonidine.  I'm glad to hear you have 3 weeks clean.  It will get easier, and like you said take it one day at a time.  Take care, Brian
re.  LOFEXIDINE HYDROCHLORIDE.  this drug does lower blood pressure but to nowhere near the extent of clonidine. I think Steve meant you should always come of Lofexidine gradually as it will make your BP rise if you dont. I would be interested to know if it is availible in the USA yet? I think it is a valuble tool to aid the addicted. IT doesnt stop cravings but it reduces "restless legs", tear production, jitters ,chills and to a certain extent stomach cramps but I took Hyoscine N-Buytll Bromide for stomach pains. One of the most important things in the treatment of an addict should be a non judgmental doctor. After all, detoxing from opiates is a health need so the services should be available and non biased. Take care all. Email me at nathan_dmt***@****  and I will be happy to respond,talk,give advice etc.
i need a bag
I`VE BEEN AN ADDICT FOR MOST OF MY LIFE.I have been on methadone for about three years.Iam curently on 75 mlgs. and have been for about 8 months I also have experinced stomach and lower adomanial pain.I have had every test mentionable,upper and lower
gi cat scans,colonocospy,blood test ect..All with neg. results
I have detoxed down to2 mlgs. on two different ocassions.only to
feel that old cravings come back.I have relasped twice for two short periods only to go back up to40 or50 migs. I truley beleive
in AA&NA IN THE12step programs. I want so much to truly be drug
free If you have any suggestions that can help me through this please answer.
I NEED HELP I'VE BEEN USING 20 YEARS.
I've been using about 20 years . I really need help PLEASE  GIVE me some ideals. THANK YOU
I too make enough money that I never had to worry about feeding my habit or paying for the best detoxes money could buy.  Kind of a double-edged sword!  Anyway, I have no experience or contact with anyone who does with respect to Ibogaine (although I am very interested and quite optimistic with respect to the studies and anecdotal evidence).  Take a look at www.ibogaine.org for more info.  With respect to buprenorphine it is FANTASTIC for detox.  I've had many detoxes.  The most succesful and least painful used buprenorphine.  If you are on the East Coast, I can recommend some places in New Jersey.  There is also a place in Florida which charges alot more ($1,000.00) but has a good reputation.  Basically, buprenorphine is used for detox as follows:  as soon as withdrawal symptoms start, an injection is given (can be done by you at home) either IM or by a subcutaneous injection (just under the skin).  Depending on the level of opiate use, the initial injection may be anywhere from .3cc to 1.0cc.  Then, the best programs will prescribe another injection in about 6hrs. (or less if a greater amount given in the first injection).  The buprenorphine when used for detox will pretty much entirely eliminate withdrawal symptoms (certainly during the detox while the shots are being given).  A good detox will taper off the buprenorphine over the course of 5 days or perhaps longer.  At the end of the taper you have minor or no withdrawal symptoms.  It is truly a wonder drug.  You don't get "high" during detox, but you feel no pain or cravings.  Because it is both an agonist and antagonist, it is easy to withdraw it without much in the way of withdrawal symptoms.  If you are interested in hearing more, or want the names and numbers of the places doing the detox, post and I'll let you know.  Brian
hi brighty,brian and kim
i too am a user
im very much in the closet,always looking for a cure
one problem is i make$200.000.00 A YEAR
its sucks to be able to feed your habit.
i really want to try iobgaine or buprenex
are the results possitive? do tell
I have been on the ibogaine subscriber list for a couple of months. I've had alot of personal testimonials sent to me via e-mail from addicts who feel it has made a big difference. I strongly suggest you do alot of research regarding this treatment by reading, contacting people who have done it, interviewing the "practitioners" and learning as much as you can about dosages. My daughter is a 3 year heroin addict and is presently in a long term treatment program ordered by the courts. When she is done there we do plan to go to an ibogaine "treatment" site outside the US since she wants to try this treatment. It is supposed to have optimum effect in conjunction with counseling and support groups. Go to the web site that Brian recommended and it will have a link to subscribe to the list. This is the best way to meet and communicate privately with those who have tried it and those who provide it. There are a wide range of treatment options from clinics in Europe that gather data, to village treatments in Africa where ibogaine has been used for hundreds of years as a cultural initiation. There are doctors from the US who provide treatment in the caribbean just outside US boundaries and there are suppliers who give instructions for home treatment. There's alot to learn but the topic is fascinating and hopeful. Best wishes, Brighty
to Alexis
I cleaned my self up ten years ago, at first I just traded herion for acohol. I stayed drunk for about three years then I went to AA and got a hold of my drinking. Everything went pretty well until I got back around my old buddies. Now after ten years of being off herion I am right back on it again. Methadone is helping me right now to get off the opaties. I will soon start reduction of the methadone to get back to drug free again. I guess what I am trying to tell you is that the cravings never completly go away. You will need to get help to stay clean. You should be very proud to hold off as long as you have but my advice is to find some sort of help. Most of the time all it takes is one person that you care about and cares about you to talk to every once in a while. That is what helps me now more than anything else. Don't trade sally for sue I have an old friend who is on what he calls the marjuana maintence program. For a long time I was straight and enjoyed life more than anytime I was using I want that life back but it is hard work. Hang in there, you can do it.
Russell
I need info on detox.  My boyfriend has been using for the past 12 months.  He has tried twice that I know of to stop using in the past 12 months.  Both times he has tried Met from other people in the program.  Friday he told me that he was using again and was not going to use again.  He brought one bottle of Met best I can tell he has not used for 24 to 48 hours.  He wants to go cold turkey since his daily dose was very small.  I really need to know what I'm in for, so I can help him through this.  Today is Sunday and he seems to be mad at me, but I know it's part of withdrawal.  He knows I can get money to buy Met, but if he really wants to kick this addiction I think he should stay cold turkey.  Am I wrong?  He says he has stomach pains and he can't eat.  What can I feed him so that he does not go days without eating?
You can try giving him chicken broth or something similar.  Not eating for a few days isn't a problem.  He needs to keep hydrated, with both water and something like Gatorade with electrolytes.
My wife and I met a "friend" through work and introduced us to herion. This was about two years ago. We have only smoke it and in the beginning we knew it was very addictive, so we thought we could use it recerational maybe twice a month. Well that was great for about 6 months untill we did it two often to soon. Pow we were hooked. We never thought it could happen to us. So we want out bad. We went to San Diego Health Alance, these people are leagle drug sales. They get you hooked on methadone or there "new"cure Laam. The cost is $280.00 per month. The only difference between them and the guy on the corner is that the guy on the corner will give you credit. But the clinics are leagal and the guy on the corner isn't. They have counclers that have never herd of anyother treatment for herion, and when I asked about Buprenorphine, no one had ever herd of it. It was though I was asking for something that dident exist. They didn't want to know and didn't care . There view was that methadone works. Half the people are on 2mlg per day. There is no way out withdrawing from meth or laam through there clinic. Does any one know if I can go to Mexico to purchase Buprenex or Ibogain. Is there any doctors in San Diego who will detox us with Buprenex or Ibogain.
We have not used in about 6 months but now I am addicted to Laam and I want OUT today. If anyone can help please wright back.
HELP!!!!
I am fasinated by these experiences as a user and detoxer i feel very lucky to get subutex from my drug counsellor 3 days a week from my chemist to last a week. The problem is it was a miracle cure for 3 yrs then my dose got lowered and then tryed stupidly some gear again and now i use it 3 days a week the other days the subs.How stupid i khow! i was put up my dose to 10mg but the craving has come back.I would be letting so many people down if they khew so no one can find out not even my counseller and i have to sort this mess out.It has been a yearish its been going on.Do i up my dose ya think?Advice needed for sad relapser!
I have been clean from Vicodins and Herion for 5 months since I have been on Suboxone (buprenorphine & naloxone). I am 27 years old, and i have been in 5+ treatments and hospitalizations due to my use. My first trip to rehab was 2003, and I have finally found something to help keep me sober! I started Suboxone this year, June 2007. It has been the wonder drug for me. I don't even drink anymore! I have been on a pretty high dose (4 tabs=32mg/daily) and I am starting to think about lowering the dosage. The medicine did seem to give me a slight "high" feeling when the dosage was increased or if I take more than prescribed, but it is not an overwhelming high like using Vicodin or Heroin. I was on the verge of losing my job right before starting Suboxone. Now, I am a "rockstar" at work and expect great success as long as I stay sober. I know I wouldn't have been able to do with without Suboxone. Not only does the medicine take away my cravings, but I sleep like a baby, have tons of energy, and don't even think about using since I would not even get high. Suboxone's main component, buprenorphine, blocks the effects of opiates if I were to use, so that is a great deterrent. One thing, that is not necessarily a positive, is that I smoke like a fiend now! I smoke at least a pack of smokes, and I only smoked liked that when I was high. Smokes taste so much better now that I am taking Suboxone. Even though I would rather not smoke as much, I would not use that as a reason not to use the drug. It's a miracle drug for now. However, I am concerned about lowering my dosage. Recently, I asked my doctor about his experience of weaning his patience off the drug. He stated that generally his patience felt a little "off" for a few days after the dosage was dropped 1/2 a tab and felt normal after that, bringing them down to 1 tab a day. He stated that it gets tricky once his patience start lowering the dose below 1 tab. He told me that there haven't been any "long-term" studies for the "long-term" use of the drug. I expressed my concern that I might want to be on the drug for a long-term basis so that I ensure myself to stay sober. He said that could be an option since the benefits seriously out-weigh the negatives. As far as I can see guys, I will be on Suboxone for at least a few more years. I am finally back to the sober person I have tried for years to be.
My husband has been an addict for 13 years we met in september 2007 since then he is on and off with smoking but for the most part he takes sub it is very addictive he takes maybe a half a pill a day sometimes 1 when he has bad pain in his legs!! I know before we met he smoked everyday all day then when we got together it changed!! He says it is because of me and he loves me but here is my question will he stay like this forever you know not doing it so often or will he go right back into it?? It is so hard for me cause when he talks about it I get so mad cause I have done almost every drug there is but that and I never got like him!! I did crack 2 and cocaine 3 times and still I could never think that any drug could be more important to me than my life and my right to control my own feelings and thoughts!! I just wonder if I should just walk away while I still can or stay and love him anyway!!
I'm sorry I meant september 2006
id love to be able to get this meds ive been on it for 4 year now and ive been struck off im running round trying to get any were no luck so far lee    partyjack 929  at g mail  com im stuck