Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Oxicontin: Pain Relief or Pariah?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Oxicontin: Pain Relief or Pariah?

My brother recently had arm surgery requiring a bone graft taken from his hip. He was told it would result in accute pain, which it has. With some prodding from me, he requested Oxicontin, which his doctor immediately and enthusiastically refused, preferring instead to prescribe Percoset.

Percoset is certainly an effective post-operative pain medication; however, it has a distinct four-hour cycle. When I had the misfortune years ago to be beaten badly by thugs in Hawaii, Percodan really helped pull me through. But I was up every few hours waiting until I could take my next dose.

Now my brother is waking up at night in pain, having to take another Percoset dose, then waiting the requisite 45 minutes for it to kick in so he can fall asleep again.

I'm angry because Oxicontin is available and approved by the FDA for exactly this kind of pain. All it is is time released Vicodin. But because the weak links in our society chew them up or snap them to get a rush (potentially to the Pearly Gates), doctors openly place their fear of federal auditors ahead of the interest of their patients.

What can we, as patients, do to get the right medicine when it's legitmately needed and deal with this horrible bureaucracy we've created? How miserable can federal regulators make the lives of our doctors to warrant this kind of response?

Thanks!

Tony
Oxycotin is supposed to be used in cases where the patient needs to take it for long term use, it is not recommended for post-op pain relief, despite this many doctors still do perscribe it for pos-op pain relief. If your brother tells the doctor that the percocet is not lasting the full four hours maybe he will either switch him over or tell him to take the percocet every 3 hours instead, after my first surgery i was taking percocet 2 tabs every 3 hours for months. The only problem with that is the high tylenol level.
Oxycontin is a blessing for people suffering from chronic pain.  I have colon cancer and started taking Oxycontin when the oncologist who is treating me became concerned with the amount of Tylenol I was taking when she was just prescribing Percocets for my pain. Among other uses, Oxycontin is very effective for treating pain associated with the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation.  Now that the cancer has metastasized into my liver,lungs and brain, it provides me with enough relief so that I can function for small parts of the day.  At first I was concerned because I knew about Oxycontin abuse, and the associated dangers.  In fact, I had a client that robbed a convenience store so he could have money to buy the pills on the street.  However, now I understand both the effectiveness and the need for the drug.  The best way to promote this belief is to let your congressional representatives know that it is a help, and that the use of an extended-release pain reliever is necessary in spite of the risks of abuse.  As with most issues, the positives must outweigh the negatives, so if you believe in the benefits of Oxycontin, let the decisionmakers know.
You could have your brother ask for something with less tylenol. Norco is hydrocodone (vicodin). They say that it is slightly less effective than oxycodone (percoset), but that is not my experience. The benefit of the Norco pills is that they are double strength vikes (10mgs each), and have only 325 mgs of tylenol.
first off welcome, but be careful with your words, your talking to many people who have been and still are the weak links to why oxy contin is looked down upon....................  

My first question is why did you guide your brother into getting oxy contin before he even tried anything else, that seems a little suspect. HOWEVER I'm not here to judge, i'm not any better or any worse then anyone here.

I can completely appreciate anyone in severe pain after a terrible procedure like your brother had.  Unfortunately there are doctors out there who are deathly afraid of addicts and there for don't listen to the patients needs and don't particularly care if they are suffering.  

I guess the plan of action is to have your brother confront him and tell him the percoset isn't working and that he needs a higher prescription so he can take a higher dose every 2 or 3 hours........... if that doesn't work, then find another Dr.  GOOD LUCK!

GWH
Yo Tony!  You jerk.  This is a board for people who are trying to recover from abusing oxy and other meds.  For you to come on here and say, and I will quote, "But because the weak links in our society chew them up or snap them to get a rush" is wrong.  We don't need people like you reminding us how bad we have screwed up.  Your brother will just have to heal w/ out the use of oxicontin, many have done it in the past.  You are a real loser for writing that story on this page.  Go to a pro oxy page or something.  You have no morals for doing such a thing.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  

And I don't know why the other people on this board didn't give it to him too.      Yo Tony, Get Lost!!!!!!!!!!
hey people:
it took me about 6 years and 2 spinal surgerys to end up with a
pain doc that perscribed the pain control i need. i take 40 mg.
oxycontin when i get out of bed, 40mg at lunch, and 60mg at bed-
time. i also can take up to 6 oxy ir a day as needed. one thing
about pain is tends to motivate a person to seek pain control.
just keep looking and hollering ouch until you find a compassion-
ate doc to work with.

keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
You know, I try as hard as possible to stay out of confrontation and flaming, but this has to be said. Trying, that is pretty ******* intolerant. The guy is talking about someone who has LEGITEMATE pain. Asking addicts may not be the best solution, but plenty of us were prescribed these things in the past, and we know plenty about injuries as well.

The kind of attitude you give off is the way that LEGITEMATE pain patients feel about RX addicts. They think we are the ones who make it so difficult to obtain medicine without jumping through hoops. You know what? They have a point. Much more of a point than you have.
Hey, Man...

Don't be so hard on the guy! He was asking a legitimate question.  Just because he called some os us "weak links" isn't any reason to go off on the guy. I've been called much worse, and it doesn't bother me at all. I did my share of Lying, stealing and abusing while I was a Practicing alcoholic/addict. I know it pisses a lot of people off when outsiders judge them, but try not to let it get to you.

ON THE OTHER HAND.... If the person who started this string is a drug-seeker (which is a good possibility)- then that person should be ashamed of themselves.

Well, I've gotta get back to work, so everyone have a decent day! O.K.!

Later,
Jess
I understand where you guys are coming from, but he shouldn't have come on here calling us Weak Links.  That's ******* Ignorant!  I personally don't think it's right for him to come on here saying **** like that.  And, I think pain meds should be given to people who need it, but his brother's situation didn't warrent Oxys and to come here and insult us addicts is wrong.  That's how I feel and I won't say I'm sorry for that.  He needs to go to a board where they discuss patients who aren't given pain meds for whatever reason, but this isn't the proper forum.  Everyone have a nice day.  Yo Tony, get lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Obviously this guy hit a nerve with you--and it hits one with me too, because I _know_ that doctors are skeptical of people with pain problems BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE ME.  If there weren't addicts out there, doctor shopping, scamming and stealing, then people who do have legitimate pain problems (and some of the people who have legitimate pain problems ARE addicts) pay.

Maybe this guy's brother is an addict--quite possibly so.  However, it may also be the case that he legitimately needs pain medication.  

Yes. It did hit a nerve w/ me.  I know that people like us is the reason why legitimate patients are having a hard time getting the meds they need.  But this guy said it himself, that the doctor didn't think it was necessary.  So, why come here and insult a bunch of addicts?  Calling us weak links.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't consider myself a weak link.  I have weaknesses, but I'm not a weak link.  I have a good life and a great job.  I have a lot to live for and that's why I am trying to better myself.  I don't need some jerk coming on this board and insulting me and everyone else.  I use this board for support everyday, even though I don't write everyday I do read it.  That was hurtful and I for one don't appreciate it one bit.  I appreciate your support and I've read many of your post and think you are an amazing person.  Be stong.
tony the weak link comment was demeaning, so i guess you will get flack for that,this fourm is not just a bunch of addicts
there are plenty of people here who hvae chronic pain from
broken backs and such. so asking a ligimate question is cool.
tho i must say ta gotta throw out an apoligey if you want to get any answers.

trying , don't let a miskake by some one who is ignorant
get ya all upset. i have been around na and addicts for
27 years and they are some of the smartest most creative people
i have ever met. im an addict and have been clean thanks to people like yourself here on this fourm.

i was once given the definanition for a normal person, '' one
personalty or less ''

HAVE A GOOD DAY

PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you still working nite, how are you doing , i have not seen you posting, hope all is well

peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will have to say that I took offense to that comment.  Even if it may be true, it was completly inappropriate.
jess:
yes detox can be quite demandinding. it is not as bad it you do
it on a regular basis, but is still hard. i think the important
thing to keep in mind here is progress, not perfection. first of
all does your aunt have a good internal med specialist for a reg-
ular doctor? if not get her one asap. i can't stress this enough.
a pain specialist is already in the picture, so that's taken care
of.

with the doc's permission, cut her back on the IR's first. try to
get your aunt to where all she is taking for pain is the ms con-
tin. this may gie enough of a baseline reference for now. taking
her all the way off a drug like morphine sulfate may be too much
of a goal in the long term, and it's out of the question for
right now!

other drugs, such as benzo's should be closely monitored to in-
sure she is taking them as directed. it's ok for her to be on
something like valium or klonipin (klonopin), just make sure she doesn't
lose sight of the proper dose!

like i said before, progress, not perfection. taking her all the
way off may be too much of a goal, so go easy. hey i'm just a
phone call away!

keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
Hey, Everybody, Let's kill THIS string and start anew!!!

Just an update on my Aunt's situation:

As I'd mentioned before, my aunt has been going through a bit of a rough time dealing with her pain maintenance regimine, and hopefully it will be getting a little better after I spent some time speaking with her physician at the pain clinic. Most of you "regulars" here probably know the story, but I'll give a quick update:

Patient: Female, 61 Yrs old. Condition-Neuropathy in lower legs/feet, and bulging disk in lower lumbar, "Fixed" or BOTCHED by a bad fusion operation. Pain had progressed to unbearable in a matter of months following the procedure.

After seeing a good neurologist, she was originally prescribed a moderate dose of Oxycontin (40Mgs 3 times per day), and she'd been doing quite well; having little or no bad effects from the medication, and her pain was well under control. Recently, moved to a new state, and is seeing a new physician who has changed her prescription from Oxy to MS Contin 60 Mgs 3 times daily with MSir 30 Mgs as needed for breakthrough pain. She's also on several other Meds that, in combination with the morphine, are causing Fatigue and lethargy. She is in the process of tapering down slowly to determine the present extent of the pain. She is quite well aware of the fact that she may have to be on these medications for the rest of her life, but nonetheless, she would like to get a baseline of where the pain is NOW.

The point is: What would be the safest way for her to get this baseline reading without risking her health and "Well being"?

I am asking this question of MrMicheal67 (because of his knowledge and experience with MS Contin specifically)-- How do you (MrMichael67) determine where you are in your pain levels periodically?

AND: Skip! I know you do a periodical detox to determine YOUR current pain. How hard is it on your body to do what you do? Is it feasible for My Aunt to get down to a very low level of Opiates to determine HER pain? AND-- when you are "Drug free" during your detoxifying period, does your pain get worse each day that you are opiate-free, OR does it get better and/or worse depending on the time of day?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide, and if anyone else has experience with this kind of situation, I'd love some of your input too!

Bye, from the "Other side"!
Jess
Hi, Lexi!

I'm sorry you don't feel as if the group has given you the type of support that others have been given, but you ARE just as important as ANYONE here, and I'd be glad to offer whatever I can to help you!

I'm so glad that you came back to post about what you are going through right now. It's a very brave thing to admit it when you are having a bad time of it, and are relapsing or "Slipping" as we say.... The thing you've got to remember is that you ALWAYS have hope. EVERY TOMORROW is a new opportunity, and no matter how bad it is right now, you can always count on the fact that there really are good people out here to help, or even just listen to you relate how bad or good your day was.

I never thought I'd be happy in life..... I was drinking 1-1.75 liters of vodka or gin per day, and had a huge drug problem with Ultram (30-50 per day).... All that, and I still couldn't find happiness!!

Finding this site, and going to AA/NA has helped me in ways that I can't even begin to describe. Hearing the stories of all you guys, and relating to everyone, keeps me going from day to day.

Lexie, don't dwell on your relapsing too much today. Just look at it as a mistake, and make it something to work on in the future. Take time tomorrow and write down at least three things that put a smile on your face. It is just that simple. Write down 3 things that you are grateful for. Three things that make you happy, and three things that really make you mad or upset you. Each time that something awful happens, pull out that list and read the things that make you happy OUT LOUD. You will be amazed at how well you can trick yourself out of a bad mood using this technique.

I hope you feel a little closer to our "Group" now!

and remember this, Lexie, YOU ARE LOVED!

Jess
Hello, All.

I've read the comments from earlier today and will stay out of it.  I will say, however, that I tried about three weeks ago to get some support from this very tight group.  It seems as if everyone who participates in this forum gives unconditional, amazing support.  I don't feel as if I received this support.

Some of you may have read that I have a severe problem with vic's.  I am trying so hard to stop, and I just can't.  Thank you, Hippy, for replying to my post with Thomas' Recipe, although I'd read it weeks before I had the courage to post my story.  

Please help with words of comfort and support.  I have slipped again and am so worried that I am in a downward spiral.  I take about six-eight vic's a day (only because I get about 20 per script...otherwise I'd take more) with a prescription, and take advantage of the dr. until the say no more!  I go weeks with nothing, just to go right back.  I certainly relate to "Golden Slipper".  He/She is just like me.  How can I stop this madness?
Thanks for your advice in advance.
L3
I don't wan't to start anything here, but everybody is getting down on yo tony because he called us weak links, i was reading down the posts and the first time i saw it mentioned was by GWH not yo tony. I'm sure he did'nt mean no disrespect but i don't want yo tony to feel alienated like i did when i wrote something stupid that hurt someone's feelings. Yo tony please tell us what happens.
Please disregard my whole prior post especially you GWH i am blind. Yo tony you have no right to come to this site with the supposed "weak links" and ask our advise, shame on you.
I agree with what Lexie just said - I have posted atleast three times and you, Jessy, are the only one to ever reply - I've asked where to get all the ingredients for Thomas Recipte to no avail and tomorrow is my designated quit day off Ultram and I really, really need as much help and support as possible.

Maybe I'm missing something.  Hang in there Lexie - we're all in this together, one way or another.  Peace out!
I have been reading here for a while and i have'nt felt that i have broken the tight knit group either, i never got the "there's room for one more addict"line either, maybe that's why i have'nt felt safe enough to tell my story yet. Hang in there this site means well, it could be  a big help to anyone in need. If yoy ever need to talk away from the forum please e-mail me at ***@****
I apologize for using the term "weak links," but I'd think we could all admit that each one of us has weaknesses. After all, we're human and weaknesses are built in. And if you're struggling with pain killer addiction, I'm struggling with other problems that are just as severe. Saying someone is a "weak link" in a regulated, government-dominated, medical arena is just a fact. Were it up to me, all this would be legalized.

Oxycontin, for long-term pain short term, I would think would be ideal. A patient who needs it for a week or so I wouldn't think would be the kind of threat to bring down the fabric of humanity overnight. And, in fact, neither would any of you who might be battling addiction.

My main gripe isn't with people struggling to overcome addiction; my gripe is with doctors who have the attitude that everyone is out for a fix.

Thank you all for your kind and valuable feedback and, again, I apologize if I ruffled some feathers.

Tony

Hi and welcome. I've been posting here for four months, but haven't been around much lately. I'm sorry if you haven't gotten the support you need. I try to come as often as I can to help others, but just haven't been able to lately. I will say that when I first started posting, I felt like a bit of an outsider, until I just kep at it and got more responses. That's normal with any group, I think, especially with the format of this forum where so many questions are posted on one thread. So persevere, please, and you'll get help here.

I've been clean (from Norcos) for four months. I'm still tempted and have cravings, sometimes much worse than others. I had a "using" dream the other day. Scary. I have to remind myself often just how crappy things really were when I was in active addiction. The bad things fade away with time, and we're left with the longing.

If you still don't have the recipe, please post again and someone will get it for you. I don't have the exact doses. What I take is l-tyrosone (1-2 pills/day), which greatly helps my mood, plus a strong multi-vitamin for energy. I just added 5HTP, which many here swear by. Will let you know how that works.

Life is much better clean. That's a statment that I firmly believe will apply to all of us. Sometimes it takes a long time to get there, and for many it will probably always be a struggle.

Lexie, about the viks - I was just like you until I went to one doctor and got on pain maintenance. I remember the high just from knowing I had access to all those pills! Of course, that's what led me to hell. I wish I could have learned from others who had been down that road, but I had to travel it myself. Luckily, you seem to already recognize the problem. Have you ever been through detox?

Please feel free to post, any of you, asking for help and someone here will respond, even if it takes a few days. I'll keep checking here today. And welcome!
tracy
Thanks for the encouragement - I really need it as tomorrow is my first day without Ultram in 5 months - could you tell me what 5HTP is and where to get it?  I have Thomas' recipe but I don't know where to get everything....health store?

I know it's going to be tough, especially this time tomorrow and I probably won't be posting again until Monday or so and I'm scared to death.....I really don't know what to expect......sweats, depression I don't know.

Say a little prayer and I'll say one for you!
Thanks, everyone, for your words of advice and support!  Tracy, I do have Thomas' Recipe and did buy the vitamins that go along with it.  It sounds as if it truly does help.  

I've been through w/d's a few times.  When I started taking vic's, I just thought that they were running me down and I was catching a cold after taking them for a few days.  I now know I was going through w/d's.  The worst part for me is that I feel as if I'm living some secret life!  I'll stop taking them for a while, and I will have the "using" dreams.  That's why this forum has been so helpful...I realize there are so many others out there just like me, which helps!  My husband has NO idea how many vic's I've taken in the past few years.  He knows I use them here and there, but has no idea to what extent.  He thinks I'm the perfect wife and mother, and here I am secretly abusing drugs.  No one has any idea.  The energy that I put into it is so draining, but I'm so afraid to come clean and tell my husband.  How do I do this?
Thanks again to everyone. You really are a great bunch!
L3
Im so sorry for posting this, I feel like im adding fuel to the fire and acting in a childish manner, but i cannot resist the urge (resisting an urge is definately not my forte, hence my arrival to this board in the first place :)). First off, I agree with Hellbent in saying that Yo_Tony has a point in that some addicts are the ones that make it difficult for legitimate patients to recieve their RX's and I whole-heartedly agree. However, the choice of Tony's words and subsequent back-peddling apology are what ire me. Tony, in your apology you said that you called addicts, "the weak link of the medical arena." I hate to inform you, but in fact, you called addicts, "the weak link of our society." Some addicts that I know are the brightest people ive met in my life. Circumstance and a lack of will power dictate their addictions. I am truly sorry that your brother cannot obtain the medication he deserves. I also agree that the defining contributing factor to this is the misuse of Oxycontin. However, in assuming that addicts are "weak links", what differentiates your ignorance from the same ignorance that that is exemplified in the doctor's "drug seeker" attitude? You cant simplify addiction. You cant make people who are trying to overcome addiction feel like misfits. And in apologizing, please dont say that you suffer from problems "just as severe" as addiction, because people who are addicts probably suffered from just as many problems which led them to their addictions, and now have compounding problems such as loss of jobs, families, integrity and self-worth. All they have to look forward to is a nasty withdrawl (withdrawal) and being labelled "weak links of society." I am truly sorry for your brother's situation and yes, I contributed to that. I dont think you are a "jerk" but please Tony, I care for the people in here, and a few of them care about me, and when their recovery is jeapordized by thoughtless stereotypes, everyone suffers. Just look at your brother. Mark.
It sounds like Skipper has been falling down on the job as the official Walmart greeter of the forum. Feeling left out sucks, I know. Had enough of that **** in high school. So lexie and waking up and anyone else new, I am glad you are here and please feel safe and share your story with us. It is everyone's job to extend the hand of welcome here, not just Skipper's, and I am extending mine to you. Sharing the ups and downs of this affliction is what gets me through this and you never know, having the guts to share your story may help someone else. I stumbled across this site over a year ago at a truly low point in my life, when I felt so alone. I just could not talk to anyone,even my closest friends about the **** going on in my life at that point and I lurked ( what a creepy word, but for lack of better one) for quite awhile until I had the guts to post. Then it was a sweaty palm, wanna throw up kind of feeling reminiscent of speech class or some other public speaking horror. And not a soul initially seemed to give a ripshit after I poured out my pain. But I just hung in there and kept posting. Funny thing about addiction, it is a very self centered affliction and sometimes people get so hung up in their own pain that they can't look away from it sometimes. But trying to give back in some way what I've been given, whether it's here or anywhere else is what keeps me clean and if there is anyway I can help please let me know.  So welcome to y'all!
     Skipper will be disciplined! He has the job from hell, a certifiably insane family, a neurotic dog and a high maintenence alcoholic wife with PMS so he's been a bit absent minded latley. But forgive him he's basically a good guy.
Yeah, one of my weaknesses is spelling Oxynontin. First, though, and quite seriously, when I happened on this board, I did not pick up on the fact that this was on anything other than addiction -- as in disucssing addictions. As for pack pedaling, sure, I am and freely admit it. My anger, though, is directed not at addicts, but against mindless government regulation.

I've never found pain medication difficult to use and then leave alone, but then, I've never been the victim of horrific chronic pain. And if someone needs pain medication (or marijuana, or whatever) to ease their pain, I get very annoyed if the government tries to slap generalized, stereotypical regulations on people who legitimately need such medications.

Okay, so you, the reader may be an addict. How you got that way and who's responsible isn't for me to judge. Maybe you have recurring pain and the pain is more of a problem than the addiction. I think studies have shown that responsible people can live with a calculated addiction. Or maybe you did it to get a rush, then found out you weren't able to stop.

But what's got my cucumbers pickled is the fact that doctors take a federally-approved drug, then don't prescribe it because they're scared to death of federal regulators. The problem in soceity seems to be that some doctors prescribe pain killers and antibiotics for everything and others won't prescribe what's needed.

Your comments were still helpful.

Skipper's idea is a good one.  One thing about ms contin that is good is it holds me longer than oxycontin would.  If nothing much changes with stopping the msir, then she could try to take the ms contin twice a day.  It will hold her and keep her out of withdrawal.  Believe me when I say it because I have done it and I take three, three times a day of the 60mg.  If she were on something else, then I would say to be more cautious.  But, I have had ms contin last longer than 12 hours for me.  I forgot how much of the msir she is taking, but normally, the breakthrough dose is a small percentage of the daily dose.  It might not be enough of a drop if she takes only one a day, especially if it is 15mg a day (I can't remember what it was).  And, one good thing is if withdrawal does happen, she has meds she can take.  I wouldn't be an extended thing.  It would be close to 18 to 24 hours before the real **** hits the fan.  My advice would be to do what Skipper said, but don't be afraid to take it one step further.
I feel for you right now.  Sometimes the anticipation of w/d is harder to deal with than the actual w/d.  I can't stress this enough, go get the reciepe and stay positive.  Go to the store buy some of your favorite foods, rent videos and stay busy.  You can do this, it is doable.  And come on here and write your feeling and progress to all of us.  We will get you through this.  I will personally encourage you when you need it and will listen too.  Now go out and get prepared.  The more prepared you are the easier it is.  Make sure you have everything you think you might want for the next 3-4 days.  You can do this, I know you can, we all can!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)  stay positive.  It will be hard for a little while, but life is so much easier when those little nasty pills are out of your life.  No more counting to make sure you have enough, no more w/d when you run out, no more worry about where and when you're getting more.  Life is so much brighter when your clean.  A little discomfort for a bright future.  It's worth it!!!!
Thanks!  I'm so nervous and my hands won't quit shaking.  I'm taking off work so Thur-Sun will be the hell days and then .....I know I can do this - what about a glass of wine in the evening?  will this help at all?  Can you tell me what to expect?
That's good that you have work off.  Do you have any other responsibiities?  Like kids or anything like that.  I know that some people are going to say that this is wrong, but a couple of glasses of wine helped me out a great deal during the first 4 days.  It helped me sleep.  It can expect, nausea, shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills, however, this can be minimized w/ the use of the reciepe that you said you have.  Go to the GNC or some other health store and get them.  It will help a great deal.  Don't suffer if you don't have too.  Make sure you get some benedryl and imodium (immodium). the benedryl will help w/ the congestion and the imodium (immodium) w/ the runs.  take a good multi vitamine.  Try to stay awake during the day so you can get a good nights sleep.  Do you smoke weed?  How old are you?  Where are you from?
Thanks - I'll head to the health food store later today.  Luckily, I have no children just a husband and a cat.  I am 47 years old, work out of my house as a media consultant and can talk a good game when I'm flying on Ultram.

I'm going to tell my husband that I'm coming down with the flu tonight and start prepping - I know this is sick but I've been so constipated the last few months that I look forward to the diahera (in a way....I know, that's gross).  

Thanks for all your suggestions and by letting me know what's in store - I've smoked pot off and on since, well, since a long time but find it really hard to get nowadays but I haven't really tried - I'm afaid I would become very paranoid smoking.  It's funny, I used to think I was "hooked" on pot and had withdrawals - they only withdrawal I had was a clear head!

I'll be in touch - it seems like I've been like this for years when it's only been since March!
One more thing.  Force yourself to get on the computer and talk on this board to people.  Support is very important.  You can do this.  Use tonight to get ready and it won't be that bad if everthing is in place. Good luck and I will pray for you tonight!
I can't resist the urge either-----**** Off yo tony!!  We have enought problems, we don't need people like you coming in here and insulting us!  Also, LAME apology.......
Ultra, sorry I couldn't get to this yesterday. You can get the supplements at some grocery stores, but to get all of them I'd head to a health store like GNC. The 5HTP is a precursor to serotonin so helps with mood. Mine has valerian in it too, which I guess is supposed to calm you down. Keep taking these even after the WD. You can get through this! Many of us have, as you see, so keep in mind that it's doable even if you feel like ****. Ultram is a nasty drug. I had a seizure while on it, and more even long after so I think it screwed my head up. And I wasn't even abusing it!
By the way, I was a media consultant too (in-house) until I quit my job.
Good luck! Hang in there and I will send good wishes your way.

Lexie, you are not alone. Many of us have been through exactly what you're going through, hence the support to be found here. My husband knew I was taking the pills but never exactly how many. I never hid it that much, but did put a ton of energy into the whole life. I would actually wake up in the morning, at around 6:00, and already be going into WD even though I'd taken my last dose at around 11 p.m. Scary. I had to take clonidine before bed to try to stretch the dose, and this still happened. So you could say it consumed my life.
One thing I would urge you to do, and you won't like this, is to come clean with your husband. You have to get past the deceit. You will want to get past that, to be honest in your life again after living these secrets. I don't know your situation, so maybe it's not possible to tell him. But for me, it was very liberating to be able to speak honestly about all this. I did not go around blabbing about it to everyone in my life, but I needed one person I could be honest with. Of course, you can get that here too, but it would be good if you can talk to him about it. Just a thought.
Best of luck, hang tough, you'll be stronger when it's over.
tracy
Hello Everyone:  Today is a much better day than yesterday.  Last night was so hard.  Another person I know called and asked if I wanted and OC80 for 50 dollars.  I live in the North East so 50 dollars for an OC80 is really cheap.  I said no thanks.  I felt so ******* good after that.  I had the biggest smile on my face and felt really good about myself.  Today is a good day.  I feel happy and somewhat content.  I am still thinking about pills, but that's going to happen.  It hasn't been that long.  This weekend will be hard though.  The weekends always are.  How is everyone doing today?
Nice. I've gone back to pills because of a phone call, and been gone a looong time.

Did you tell them you are clean and to **** off?
you know i didn't tell him to **** off because he has no idea i even have a problem.  nobody knows.  the only peoson that knows is my mother.  not even my best friend knows.  Are you clean now?
where you from?
we are all here because we wanted "1 more pill" so your better off without it, I'm over 30 days clean, I don't keep track because its like reminding myself about pills.  I am outside of Boston and everywhere I turn there is someone else that wants to sell me pills......... I'm done with it, it seems like a bad dream....... stay clean, you will have a much better life.

GWH
I am from the North Shore, just like you.  We exchanged a few e mails a few weeks back.  Remember now?  I didn't buy it and I'm not going to.  I just can't believe how happy I feel without the pills.  I know we can make it.  Did you get your new car?  How is you girlfried?
Yea, been off everything for about 2-1/2 months. I could still have as many oxys, dilaudids or valiums, or whatever, delivered anytime. Those dealer phone numbers are burned into my brain after 4 years of calling them. I've actually called one of my dealers by mistake recently. Picked up the phone to call my girlfriend at work, and just punched the wrong numbers in.

Anyway, that's why I ask. Having OC's available makes it a little harder.

Here's a link to a place where you can find the recipe for Thomas' detox stuff:

http://pub37.ezboard.com/bthenewaddictionmedicineforum

Let us know how it works?
francois
for some reason I thought you had a different name.  I was just curious because I know $50 for an oc80 is ridiculous, but you know what, the first one is a great deal, then you spend the rest of your life paying for it................................ THEY SUCK!! I have been 100% sober for over a month, and I love it.  I bought my car, its a '00' Audi A4 2.8T fully loaded, heated seats, leather, BOSE stereo etc.......
It's best to take it as a multimineral capsule that includes zinc, magnesium, and manganese.  Too much zinc can be toxic, so just take them as directed. Last year a poster here got sicker than hell by taking too much zinc.

SAM-e and 5-htp have also been very helpful.

I take SAM-e every day now for pain as well as depression and it is definately working. It also helps to detox your liver, and if you've taken a lot of acetomeniphen over the years, it can help the liver recover from that.

Speaking of livers, I really wonder where JB is. I am worried, and miss him!

love,
WW
Here is the original recipe:

Here's my tried-and-true do-it-yourself hydrocodone "cold turkey" detox protocol.

Supplies you'll need first:

As many Valium, Xanax, Librium or Klonopin that you can get your hands on.
--- first day off the lorcet, use enough Valium or whatever, to, if possible, sleep through most of the first couple days. Then start decreasing the dose until you're down to nothing in about 5 or 6 days. You'll have to do the math. The Valium or one of its sister drugs will help tremendously with the anxiety and, somewhat, with the body aches.

Around-the-clock access to either hot baths or a Jacuzzi.

--speaking of those goddamn mostly thigh cramps that seem to love to show up in the middle of the night, have that hot bath or Jacuzzi at the ready. Don't hesitate to spend the majority of the week in that hot water if it's what it takes to get you through it. You may be wrinkled, but you'll have your sanity. Don't underestimate what the hot baths can do to relieve the withdrawal discomfort. They really work. Heating pads between the thighs can help with those cramps, too, but not as much as the hot baths.

Brand-name-only Imodium (immodium) (over the counter at the supermarket)

-- if you're a normal hydro addict, you'll be getting the runs by no later than the second or third day off the lorcet. In my experience, it's an especially unpleasant variety. At the first impulse, take two or three and respond to returning urges with two tabs. It's important that you do it immediately.

L-Tyrosine (qty 50 of the 500mg caps) - an amino acid available at the health food store.

-- thanks spook for this info: chronic use of narcotics depletes the brain of several critical neurotransmitters responsible for well-being and mental performance and attitude.
Plus:
Bottle of 100 mg B6 caps

-- Spook says every other day, but my experience detoxing with this stuff says take 4000 (four thousand) mg. (8x500mg caps of L-Tyrosine) with two 100mg B6 caps every day for your "detox week" to provide your brain with the raw material it needs to replenish its stores of these neurotransmitters. Many feel the difference on the very first dose. ***Take it on an empty stomach, either first thing in the morning or at bed time. You can continue this regimen after the first week if it continues to make you feel good. I continue to use it every other day with very few exceptions.
Multi-vitamins (most junkies don't eat too well, so this one's just for good sense)

Anyway, if you want to do it yourself and have a chance of being free of all narcotics instead of getting hooked on methadone, one of the hardest to get off of, by the way, you might try my formula. (It's "battle-tested" and works!)
2ND. one,
you will not come right until you replace all the zinc/mag you have leached out of your body over the past few years - this is what 'hanging out' really is - it's your body craving zinc/mag (zinc stops cravings/magnesium stops depression). If you don't do this it will take up to 2 years to return to normal as the only other source your body has for zinc/mag is food and then it is in such tiny amounts it takes years to build up again. If you get a blood test done you will find your levels of both are way down on what they should be.

A typical tablet contains somthing like this:

Zinc amino acid chelate 75mg
Magnesium amino acis chelate 37.5mg
Vitamin B6 10mg
Manganese amino acid chelate 10mg
Viatmin A (1000I.U.) 300mcg

Grading your habit on a scale of 1-10 (1 being occasional use and 10 being long term methadone at 100 plus mg's a day) you should take the following amount for a period of one month then slowly reduce to a daily amount of 2-3 per day.

Habit scale/size - Number of tablets per day for a month

10 10
9 9
8 8
7 7
6 6
5 5
4 4
3 3
2 3
1 2
0 2

You will notice that I recommend you never go below 2 per day. This is because zinc/mag depletion was your original problem so you should give yourself an ongoing supplement to make sure it does not happen again. I now take 2-3 per day to maintain my health. I have had no failures with this treatment (everyone OK after less than a month) and have treated addictions (including my own) as varied as methadone and cigarettes. The cigarrete smoker reduced from 2 packs per day to just 5 cigarettes per day in a week without any discomfort. If you suffer any kind of 'hang out' just increase the zinc/mag dosage and give it a liitle longer to take effect (a week or so). Don't beleive all the bullshit about drug addiction you have heard - it's all **** - this is the real deal. The drugs themselves are not actually addictive but they do leach all the zinc/mag out of your body by increasing the metabolism of them creating a shortage that gets worse the longer you use unless you replace them while you are using in which case you don't hang out when you stop - you just come straight - this is true beleive me I have tried it as have a few other people I know and none of us sufferred any hang out when we stopped.

*******Of course, you can substitute any opiate in there for the hydrocodone.
how the hell are you?  you have put down some very informative and helpful information.  I have been clean for a while, i didn't use the recipe, in fact I used the Methadone and it worked like a charm, HOWEVER, I had extreme will power when using it for the first 4 days. Now I'm about 28 days without anything....... not bad huh?  

After reading this last post, I have decided that you are much more knowledgeable than I, so I am going to try part of the recipe to see if it helps me get back to "normal"  I will use the L-Tyrosine as well as zinc/Mag.  My question is, do I just get a multivitamin for the zinc/mag? or do I have to by a bottle of Zinc and a bottle of Magnesium? let me know, thanks

GwH
The recipe I posted was created by Thomas.  I am not a good source of info regarding it.  I just figured everyone would like to see the original.
sorry I hit return before i could post to you.  I wanted to know if you knew any good places for Engagement rings.  I am planning on getting engaged around Christmas of 2003.  That gives me about 1.5 years.... I figure I can make a decision and in 2 months I can buy it and start paying it off........ That way I can start saving more money for a condo or a house. I heard that Barmakians and Descenzas are supposed to be great........  

Besides that how are you doing? let me know what you have been up to, or not if you don't want to....
Need Help!  I have a grandson who just got arrested for stealing money from a purse in a grocery store.  He has stolen so much from family members to buy his habit for oxycontin.  We have bailed him out after three days of lockdown in a jail.  I am not lying but he is a wonderful person but for this habit.  You don't need a doctor to get oxycontin.  It is out there on the street with the dealers. He said he is tired of thinking how he is going to get the  money for his habit.  He wants the help to withdraw.  He is being watched 24/7 by all of us.  His contacts with his friends are forbidden.  He is vomiting quite a lot.  He goes Tuesday to get evaluated but if they don't think he needs medical help--he won't get it.  He has no insurance.  Please help us.
Hey all - since this is sort of an "interesting" string-  i feel brave enough to ask for help for this personal and embarrasing question.

I am using 40mg of Oxy, 225 effexor rx, Flexeril, and Klonopin (4mg) for my chronic pain.  I get no "buzz" - i sort of feel a bit cheated.  However - I can't seem to eliminate.  It is painful.  Very painful.  I am taking loads of laxitives, all types, and now a perscription lax - but it still is slow and painful.

Whats the deal?  Does anyone have a "receipe" for this one?  I know it sounds funny, but it sure is a pain in the a--, literally.
Hi, ecampbe3, and welcome to the forum.

What you are experiencing is a very common symptom of taking relatively high doses of opiates. If you want to "Eliminate" soon, and regularly, I would recommend these 2 things:

1.) Drink large amounts of tea or coffee (WITH Caffeine) 4-6 cups before noon. They are good old fasioned diaretics.

2.) Take KavaKava pills (4 to 6 every 8 hours)--Besides making you feel quite relaxed, the side effect is a very potent stool softener, and it gets your intestines moving rather quickily (Be sure to be near a bathroom 2-6 hours after taking it!). You can find KavaKava at any health store (GNC, Walgreens pharmacy, etc..) It is an extract of a plant from the carribean/south pacific, and Hawaii that is "an Herb that promotes relaxation"-- I have used it to improve my symptoms of withdrawl (withdrawal) while I detoxed at home.

I hope that these suggestions help you out!

Cheers,
Jess
I just found out my son is hooked on Oxi and want some suggestions how we might help. Am familiar with addiction, husband is alcoholic and has been in rehab and enjoyed 18 years of sobriety. Must run in the genes. My son's older brother told me today his brother is hooked on Oxicontin, his live in girlfriend is bi-polar and abuses medications. Not sure what but he mentioned she was going to methadone clinic. I know all about alcohol addiction but drugs is new to me. My husband and I live 6 hours away but would want him to stay with us if he would like a place to get clean. There is an outpatient clinic in our town that I spoke to today and he could go there. Any suggetions would be greatly appreciated.