Percocet side effects and withdrawal, please help!
I have been on Percocet for 4 months for a herniated disk.  I was taking half a day, then one a day, then up to 6 a day.  Then I started having awful side effects.  My back pain got worse, my tongue was swelling some, and had stomach pain too.  Then I had my lumbar injection and the pain got worse.  I am scared this is an allergic reaction.  I had my lumbar steroid injection, and the pain got worse, so my Dr prescribed Tylenol 4.  I haven't taken the Percocet in over a day now, as it has scared me.  I took the Tylenol 4 only twice yesterday.  Last night however, I woke up drenched in cold sweat.  Is this from stopping the Percocet?  My bowel movements have even changed color to a lighter shade, and that's what scared me too.  I am trying to get off these myself, and want to know what I am going to end up going through.    Do I need to not take the Tylenol 4 too?  Now, I am scared to take anything, but also don't want to die from taking the Percocet when the pain gets bad.  If a take half a Xanax, will that help to get through this?  This is terrible, and I don't wish this on anyone.
Percocet has Acetaminophen - NOT Apsirin. That's PercoDAN.
your right on when you said that taking a opiate for chronic pain is not the same as addiction.  Many of the symptoms can and are the same such as tolerance and dependence.  Drug addicts and chronic pain patience  Are as different as ketchup and mustard.  Not much of a correlation but you get my drift.
I still feel awful.  Took a nap, and woke up drenched in cold sweat.  I don't have the shakes outside, but feel them on the inside.  I feel completely drained.  I decided to stop them myself, because I am afraid I was having a bad reaction to the Percocet.  I took them for the pain, not for them to take over me.  This is terrible, but I've gone 19 hours now without Percocet or codeine, and hope I can make it.
Hang in there girl you will be ok Bob
This might not fly with some of you, but if you really want to know if you're "hooked" - take your usual dose of Percoset and see if you feel better. If you do, it's withdrawal. If you don't, it's something else.
Sounds like we were having the same kind of reactions to the drugs.  That is what scares me, the fact that the reactions were making me feel as worse as my pain.  As for the pain, I don't know what to do, but hang in there, as I am trying to do til the opiates get out of my system.  I hope you have luck as well.  This is HELL.  This forum is great, at least others can relate to what I am going through and share our experiences.
I have thought of that idea, trust me, but why go through the chance of adding more side effects again, plus putting opiates back in my system.  Trust me, the idea has crossed my mind all day....just take half a pill and see if it helps.  Then (I hope it is my better sense) takes over, and I put it back in the bottle.
Nancy I would just like to say that when i take the oxycontin i feel almost as bad as i do when i dont. That is the reason i am trying to quit. it seems that until i am free there will be no peace. I am at 70mg per day when i get to 30mg i will be treated as an out patient. The hospital where i work is in need of my services and i cannot get any time off. Its going to be rough but it just has to be. You will feel better in a few days. I am hoping by July 1st that i will be free of opiates. keep posting Bob
Nancy, if your strong enough to do it the best way is to taper of the meds. a few days at a time. I was taking hydrocodne, it's pretty much the same as percocet just not quite as strong, I went to my M.D. and he gave me 40 tabs to taper off. I started off with 2tabs  3 times a day for 7 days then 1 tab 3 times a day and so on. If you can do that it is so much better, I tried to just quit(cold turkey) and the withdrawls were so bad I did not even last 24 hours! good luck whatever you do, and to everyone here as well!!!
well, here it is almost midnight.  I am cold all the time, but guess it will get better.  I wish they had a chat room here, would be lots easier to talk to everyone.  I keep lying down, but can't sleep, stomach aches, back aches, which is from the disk, am scared for when I do sleep, cause of the sweats.  Hope you make it, but I know you will, cause you are already trying.  I am dreading getting another epidural injection on Thurs, but if it helps, will be a bonus...
Hello: Sounds like withdrawal to me. I have been there and done that. Percocet, actually it's the asprin in the percs that hurts your stomach.  Tylenol 4 can be hard on the stomach too. I'm no doctor, as for what you will go through if you stop. It will be uncomfortable for a couple of days. Then you should be fine. I have major back problems myself so i've been through taking opiates(that's what percocet is) and it's hard stopping them. You also have to take more everyday because your tolerance builds. So now I'm not taking anything, I would rather deal with the pain then deal with drug addiction. Even if you don't get mentally addicted, sooner or later you will become physically dependant.  It's a catch 22.         Did you tell your doctor about your concerns?  Hopefully he knows what he;s doing.

let me know what's happening.                        
                                         Steve
Nancy I know you must feel terrible but it sounds like this opiate thing is something new for you. You spoke more of your concern about drugs than your back pain. I think this is a good sign. If you had a bad withdraw problem you would not have to ask you would know exactly what it was.I ran into serious problems with a percocet type drug as well.I also had some very strange reactions to this medication ie bowels; tongue; pins and needles etc.I hope you make the right decisions regarding your condition at this point.I have to go to a clinic when I finish tapering off a little bit more. This is something I dread doing and its all because I was not looking where I was going.I fell in a hole tore a tendon had surgery got addicted to oxycontin and now I just feel terrible. I hope you feel better and please watch where you are going. Bob
Hang in there Nancy it will be gone soon.  It leaves sometimes as fast as it comes on. All the sudden you will be over it. As long as you don't put it back in your system.  Good luck.
Nancy I was thinking of you today. How is your back pain? Have you been feeling any better with your withdraw? It has been almost two days by my calculations since you have used anything. It should be better soon. I am getting close to D day I am now down to 60mg only 30 to go. I feel that nervous feeling on the inside but I have reduced 40% in the last 10 days. I have to say that so far so good if the rest is as easy I may well be ahead of schedule. I hope you are well Bob
The pain is bad one pill is not a slip one pill is good for true pain i had to do it everyone on here had to do it i probably will use one pill when necessary. keep on course you are doing good. Everything will be ok but remember the bad effects when you increase over a period of time. BOB
Bob, you are a Godsend.  Well, I don't know....my pain is worse since I broke down and took one this afternoon, so now I think I will try not to take any more.  I'm having company tomorrow, which I dread going through, and have to return to work Monday after 3 days off, so hope things go well.  We are all truly a mess aren't we?  Hopefully we will both get through this.  I still want to know why they don't have a chat room for this forum.
Well, I slipped a little today.  Had to clean house, big mistake, I know my back can't take the bending over, so I took 1 pill.  I hope that won't mess me up too much.  I don't plan on taking any more today.  Hopefully it will ease the discomfort from everything in some way.  I didn't have as many cold sweats last night, which was a bonus.  I just hope I haven't messed things up by taking 1 pill for relief.  Hope you are doing well Bob, my heart goes out to you.  Keep me posted please.  And Steve, thank you so much for your support.  You are the only people I can confide in.
I am going to try and be brief, basically I got started taking tyl number3 then moved to vicodin es, I was given it for a valid reason, (lots of dental problems).  Problem is I started really liking it, it made me happy and relaxed more then anyone who has not "enjoyed" the effects could ever understand.  I have never been given enough at a time to get hooked, at least physically.  BUt I have found that I have went in for made up things and it seems to work only maybe 10 percent of the time, but when I really do need it, for instance I have a dry socket now, my dentist will say no because he thinks I have used to much etc.
THat is the first half of my question, when I have probably used him to call things in when I have not needed to, now when I do need something, I can not.  The second part is, whenever I do get them- I feel great when I take them, I am never sick feeling never anything but healthy and happy but no matter if I take them for 2 days or 2 weeks, when I am out of them, I get uncontrollably crabby, emotional, chills, sweats, basic flu symptoms, is this in my head or becasue my body has been use to them in the past, even now just taking them for a normal amount of time it could cause withdrawls.  
No matter what I say when I go in, all I ever get is muscle relaxers which do nothing for me.   I do not understand how people get prescribed such high amounts or any at all I guess.
SOmeone please respond to me.
THank you-
Well Annie, you are addicted.  You don't think you are, but your body is.  You have all the symptoms of withdrawal that I have, only I was starting to have them before I even cut down on taking them.  And when you ask for them, when you don't need them, then you are also psychologically addicted.  It is awful, trust me I know.  Instead of going cold turkey, like I started, I am just taking one a day now, and it seems to help.  But, am gonna have to ask dr for a new script to get off of these, if that makes sense, cause only have a few left.  Good luck I feel for you.  I never knew so many people were addicted to pain killers, from being in actual pain, until I found this site, and it is a blessing to share with others going through the same thing.
Well, I made it through work today, and didn't take a pill until I got off, so I think I'm doing pretty good.  I just hope that after my procedure Thurs, that I will be in less pain and won't think about taking anything, but I doubt it.  I hurt worse last time after the procedure than I did before.  Thank you all for your comments and help.
Nancy congradulations one day at a time they always say.I hope you do well with your procedure. I also waited until i got home today which was a big step. That means I can do it again tomorrow.I felt terrible but only in a different way at work. I feel better knowing that I went to work without taking anything.I think you will start to feel better at night now that some time has went by.My plan is to reduce the amount that I take when I get home every day. good luck BOB
Hi Nancy,  

I have to say that my thoughts are with you at this rough time, and to Bob too.  The withdrawal is so difficult, but you will feel so incredibly great when you're through them.
Nancy, the fact that you are going through this while you still have pills in the house is a great thing.  The fact that you didn't immediately turn to one to get rid of the withdrawals and the fact that it shows just how committed you are to quitting.  I've gone through withdrawals, but really, when I HAD to because I was out of them.  I don't know that I could've done it if I had them in the house.  But I did get outpatient treatment and feel like a new person.

Good luck!!  You'll be great!
So glad to hear from you, I was beginning to get worried.  I went again today, til I got home, to take 1 pill, but I do have to say, it makes me feel different now, than it use to, which is good.  I hope so that you keep it up yourself and get off them for good.  I don't know if I'll have the procedure done on Thursday now or not because now they say I have to make a deductible, which I did not have to the first time.  Makes no sense to me, but will find out tomorrow.  Hang in there, I will be praying for you too.
Nancy,
  Hi.I was addicted to Vicodin for almost two years and have been through what you are going through many times. What I am writing to tell you is about a book that was of great help to me. It is called: Prescription Drug Abuse - The Hidden Epidemic. Rod Colvin is the Author. If you can find it I highly reccomend reading it! Good luck and hang in there.  -Cristi
Hi Nancy how did your procedure go today I hope well. I remember thursday was your day but I know you had a deductable problem also.If its over I hope you feel ok. I stoped taking pain medication until I get home from work. Now I only have to worry about half a day.I think my day of no pills is coming real soon.I am going camping with my wife this weekend and I will bring less than what I need with me. I am really serious about quitting as you can see I just find it hard to make the final step. I hope you are well Bob
I know I am addicted to pain pills.  I usually get 100 Lortab and 60 20m oxycontin that are suppose to last me six weeks.  I always go through them before that though and I think my doctor is getting ready to cut me off.  I usually see him ever six weeks but this time he said I'll see you in 3 to 4 months.  Well when six weeks went by I went to the office and got my refills.  Of course I used them up in three weeks and now I am really in pain and have nothing.  I can't get anymore until 3 more weeks.  Isn't this sad?  But you know what is even sadder I will not give up these pills.  The quality of life I have when I am on them is just too good. My family has no clue I am addicted and I am for sure not going to tell them.  I am just an ordianry housewife who really does have pain.  Oh well.
Nancy,  opiate withdrawal is a real problem and yes you will live but to get back to what is normal for you could take months.  My friend calls it pain from the bone marrow out and that's about the truth.  I know of two drugs that can help with withdrawal, one is klonapin and the other is clonadine and forgive me but there is one more that can help but I forgot.  First one is a anti seizure medication with properties like Valium but much sronger the other is a b/p medication that helps your bowl no ****. that wasent funny but it helps with the smooth bowl tissue.  Both of these you would need to see a Dr. and B./P. medication is nothing to fool with.  And neither is the other but it has strong effects like Valium only stronger.  If you have medication left over and you think you can get through the psychological thing then I would start reducing the dosage.  Don't go cold turkey.  You can access a physician that treats people who have got hooked by no means themselves, adrug addict is a different story they need treatment which you probably don't.  You to could go back to your original physician and explain what's happened.  Don't think your the first person this physician has seen with this problem.  That's why there very careful when prescribing opiate and synthetic opiate like drugs such as Demerol  But I have empathy for you, you have already proven your a strong woman.  But get some real help and ask the physician about the first two drugs I mentioned.  Also another over the counter medications is a anti diarrhea called lopramid
Thanks everyone for your comments.  Bob, I went through the 2nd procedure Thurs as planned, and I think it has helped.  I am still in some pain tho, and have been back to work since Monday.  I am down to taking only 2 pills after I get home, not together, so I think I have come a long way.  I hope you are doing well, and that you had a nice time on your camping trip.  I don't know how long this steroid shot will last, but I hope it lasts a while.  Thanks everyone, and please continue writing.
Nancy it seems like you have come a long way. Thank God the procedure worked for the best. I am doing well I am going to quit completly  on july the 7th. I will be seeing a doctor for out patient treatment. I understand he uses a drug that helps alot with withdrawl symptoms. I cant tell you how glad i will be to be drug free. I will think long and hard before i use any drug for any purpose after that date. I will let you know what and how concerning this experiance. I hope your steroid shot lasts as long as can be. Bob
Hi, Joan
What do you do for the next three weeks that you are out? Dont you get really sick? I was just wondering how your body handled it when you ran out before it was time.
Sincerely,
Shelly
I understand your situation completely. It is like checks and balances.  I think being in checking overdraft is easier to handle what we go through on a monthly basis. It is one big head game within ourselves. Good luck to you.  The effects when you run out are just like going through an exorcism. Hang in there okay and keep in touch too.
Sincerely,
Shelly.
I called my primary doctor and as he knows I have a problem with migrains called me in a scrip for fiornal with codeine.  This makes me wonder if a weaker narcotic really could be used to come off some really high doses of other meds.  I do have a prescription for Xanax which I'm sure helped.  The two days I didn't have anything were pure hell. I've been just lucky (luck is a bad word to use in my case) but it seems like I can usually find a friend or something to tie me over.  As I said before how sad. Just yesterday when I'm almost out of the fiornal I was in a car accident (a really bad one) and had to go to the emergency room where lo and behold they gave me a script for 16 percocets, plus a girlfriend of mine gave me 15 40m oxycontin in exchange for 25 of my Xanax. Eventually there will come a day (as there always is that I will have to pay the piper.  This time when I get my pain pills I'll take them right. And re-reading that statement is certainly, I'm sad to say, will not be true.  Good luck to you.
Well guys, now I have another problem.  My mouth feels raw inside and blistery.  Can that be from the percocet?  I am miserable.....all the pain, and now this too.  Please let me know if you know what this could be from, and how to treat it.  Thanks
Well, my mouth still feels raw, and am getting more little blisters, and I think it may be a reaction from the Percocet.  Bob, I know you are gonna make it, and my heart will be with you.  I know it won't be an easy thing to do, but you will make it because you want to.  I am trying to find a site on aol, that use to be here, ask a dr or something like that.  Do you know what I'm referring to?  Have a great holiday yourself, if I don't hear from you before.
Nancy it sounds like you have something going on that a doctor should look at. I often have dry mouth plus little cuts and stuff in my mouth that come from biting. I get a little speedy sometimes from my oxycontin. By the way if you have never taken oxy I suggust that you do not start. That was when I realized I had a problem. If I were you I would see a doc plus gargle with salt water. salt water should help dry up the sores in a day or so. I have six more days until I go to the clinic. I realy cant wait. They will give me three days worth of buprenoraphine to help with pain of coming down. Then I will let you know exactly how i feel. I will be taking no drugs except what doc gives me after friday the seventh at midnight. Have a good holiday and try to enjoy Bob
How does it differ from Oxycontin? I have seen this drug name pop up and was wondering what it was. Thanks.
Shelly if you look under the posting vicodin/percocet withdrawl you will see some postings from Brian to BOB and Bob to Brian. Brian answered this question for me. Im sure you will find what you need to know there. This is what the doctor will be using on me next week to help me get clean. I understand it is only for three days but I feel Im going to make it with this great head start. Brian may well be saving my life by giving me this info or at least saving me from more of this cycle of madness. I hope that you find what you are looking for Bob
I just found your forum today.  Probably could have used it a couple of weeks ago.  I'm in the process of "tapering" down on hydrocodone.  It's taking more time than I thought it would.  Codeine has been the only thing that has helped my sciatica problem for the past 12 yrs.  I've tried every anti-inflammatory in the book (including the newer ones).  The sciatica has been recently diagnosed as piriformis syndrome.  But now the physiatrist (I'd never been to one til April) says I've got a bunch of trigger points.  I still don't understand what that means exactly, but will research on it.  I started w/6-8 Norco (10 mg. of hydrocodone) a day. This has gone on for about 5 months.  A couple of weeks ago I ran out at an inconvenient time (my dr. has Weds. and Thurs. off).  I went into withdrawal.  Thought I was going to jump out of my skin.  Went into panic, depression, etc.  I called drs. answering service and the guy on call must've felt sorry for me.  He prescribed 4 Lortab.  My husband and I went through the drive thru window at Walgreens at 1:00 a.m.  All I could think of was the fact that we've got babies that are born into this world feeling (withdrawal) like I was feeling.  Now I'm on vicodin (5 mg per pill).  I think I'm making some progress, but still wake up in the night after 6-7 hrs.
Any suggestions on making this easier?  How long it takes?  Anything?  I still move better and feel less pain when I'm on Lortab.  I don't know what to do!
I sympathize with your pain.  Piriformis syndrome can be quite uncomfortable.  Many patients are helped by "alternative" therapies such as accupuncture, accupressure or yoga.  Trigger points are simply areas within muscle tissue that develop pain upon compression and also usually create referred pain and tenderness.  Massage, certain exercise and breathing techniques can help greatly.  Yoga seems to be especially helpful.  Finally, with respect to the tapering, keep lowering dosages every few days and when you stop you will still feel some withdrawal.  After 4-7 days you should feel pretty normal.  If you can't do it by yourself, ask your physician for assistance.
I have been reading all these entries and I so relate.  I am realizing I am so addicted to hydrocodone.  I take it for chronic Kidney Stones, I have passed 5 over the last 7 weeks.  I am taking so much right now, about 20-25 Norco's 10/325 per day.  I can't imagine getting off the drugs.  I think about it all the time.  And it is so much stress keeping myself supplied.  Kaiser knows I am a drug addict but what can they do, I have stones.  I take the pills even when I am not in pain.  I take them all the time.  I need to cut back, but life seems meaningless without the pills.  Thanks    Kim
BTW-I have a oxy 'buzz' right now and re-read my post and realized I was unclear and confusing (another reason why I want to quit these damn things).  I was taking this pills before the stone passed because my back was hurting (a sign of a stone sometimes), however, the Dr. suspected I was on something which MIGHT have contributed to my stones (although kidney stones do have a history in my family).  Anyway, just wanted to clear that up.
I also started taking loratabs and lorasets when I passed a stone.  I did not get a script for them tho because my Dr. suspected I was on something (from my P test) and I lied (because I wanted something to deal with the REAL pain).  He gave me nothing so I continued to pay 'friends' for their pills and was given pills by other 'friends' who were more concerned with the actual pain I was in.  However, 4 years later (today) I am currently taking 40mg's of oxcontin's to get the 'good' feelings that my body and mind desire.  I have only now started looking for ways to help myself get off these things.  I enjoy life (with or without med's) too much to rush my death along.  I want to control myself from now on.

Thanks for your reply Z.  I also love the buzz I get on Vico's, I want to get back to normal though.  And I am so afraid of the withdrawls.  I have been through it for 1 or 2 days before I recop and it is hell.  I just don't think I have what it takes to suffer through.  I will pray for you and everyone on the forum.  Thanks  Kim
If you have made it through 1-2 days of withdrawal, you certainly can get off the painkillers.  The acute withdrawal only lasts about 3-4 days, then gets progressively better.  There are medications to help with the withdrawal symptoms.  Remember, one day you will have no choice but to get off the drugs, and the sooner you do it the easier it will be.
Nancy
sounds like I am in the same boat with you. I have terriable back pain and leg pain. I am taking Norco and weaning myself off
have you tried Motrin? I take 800mg three times a day. seems to help. I tried the shots they did not work. they tell me it will take months before my back is better. good luck!
I can relate to all of you when it comes to problems with addiction.  I've had back problems for about 5 years and they stem from years of weight lifting and compounded by a recent auto accident.  I was diagnosed with 3 disk herniations.  To begin with, after going to my PCP, I was automatically given 90 Vicodin ES x 5 refills.  After two months, I went back to the doctor and told him the Vicodin was not working and he wrote me a script for 90 Lortab x 4 refills.  Six weeks later I return to the doctor and told him again that this medication was not working and he then wrote me another script for 120 Percosets x 2 refills.  My point is that a doctor can certainly play a role in addiction.  He/She has the responsibility to question and/or inform the patient of possible addiction from persisten use of narcotics.  I was always into health and fitness, and the only pills I ever took were vitamins.  Thankfully, I am now at the point where I use meds only when I find myself in severe pain.  This week I will be going for nerve block injections.  Although I am hopefull, I am also nervous and concerned... Any feedback or information as to how well they work and how long their effects last, would be greatly appreciated.
Beware!  Percocet is highly addictive and is abused by mainy people who don't experience pain.  My brother-in-law has been on Methidone daily for over ten years due to Percocet abuse.  This drug becomes physically addictive (similaar to heroin) as well as psychologically addictive.  My wife has abused prescription meds for over ten years due to five back surgeries.  Good Luck to all.
I had back surgury to remove a spinal cord tumor about 2 months ago.   I have been taking 2 percocet in the evenings for pain.  Is it ok to continue at this dose?  It really helps the pain after a long day of work.  I don't want to become addicted.  Is this a low enough dose to continue?

EJ
Addiction is not a word that applies to me as a chronic pain patient! I am not currently taking medications but if I decide to , I have absolutely NO reason to feel ashamed about it. I have chronic pain from lordosis and bulging discs. It is inoperable and even if surgery were offered the fact is that many times patients suffer from "failed back" and live in as much if not more pain. I must choose to live in terrible pain or to take medications that won't affect my ulcers that I developed from the NSAIDS that the doctors had me on or other allergic reactions that are even scarier. I prefer to take meds that won't eventually destroy my liver and kidneys. It's a shame that the drugs that effectively treat the pain are the medications with the most stigma attached to them! I hate taking pills. Everyone who has ever known me knows that I dread taking pills. Having had a chronic kidney infection as a child I value my health tremendously. The fact is, there is NOTHING that anyone can do for my back. Not a thing that can be done to fix it. That being said I will need to live in pain the rest of my life probably unless by some miracle modern science and medicine come up with some answers. Until then the only thing we have is relief. If you choose to call yourselves addicts for seeking out and obtaining RELIEF from torture, suit yourself. But I think you are doing yourself a terrible disservice in that respect.As I said I am not currently taking pills. I AM currently in tremendous pain and I may choose to go on certain medications and I have a right to.So do you but if you choose to ignore it, that's what it is, your choice.By the way, I have never understood why people would take a medication that causes mental confusion or other drugged feelings when they don't have pain! THAT is the person with a problem, NOT ME. I only have a problem with genuine unrelenting physical PAIN.And the pain of being lumped in with individuals who are confused.
I think you misunderstood the posts you have read here.  We all know the difference between needing painkillers for chronic pain and addiction.  You sound quite angry for some reason.  If your anger is directed at the people posting here, it is misdirected.  Hopefully you will not become like many of the people here who began taking painkillers for legitimate pain and ended up addicted.  Whether prescribed or not, for legitimate pain or not, once addicted we all have the same issues.  I would respectfully suggest you should find a chronic pain website for support rather than criticizing the good people who are here for support for their addiction.
I have been addicted to percocets for 10 years.  It all started out as "fun" or just to get a little buzz, but now I find I am hopelessly addicted to them, mentally and physically. I am not getting them from a doctor, either. I am getting them from the streets, so you can imagine how much money I'm spending!
im no different than anybody on this forum. i really need help, but dont know how. my problem is i take the pills {loratab 750} for the high i also drink alot of beer with them. i really want to stop but ive only gone two days and thought i was going to dye i have nobody to talk to and help me but i was hoping someone out there   could atleaste give me some advice ive been taking pills and drinking for about 4 years {only missing a day every once in a while i really really really want to quit i want my life back please help thank someone in advance
Hello, I have had severe headaches for 2 years now, me and my doc have tried numerous things to try and take away the pain. The only thing that we have found to be effective is Norco 10/325. I am only supposed to take 3 per day but have found that it takes 3 to take the headache away, 3 at a time times 4-5 times a day.  I have decided to just quit cold turkey. My last dosage of 2.5 pills of Norco was Saturday 9/23/00 which was the last of what I had. I have not taken anything since then except Motrin and on occasion soma, which helps to get threw the shakes (a little) . I still have the severe headaches but I think that right now these are what they call "rebound headaches". I tried getting an appointment with my regular doc but my appointment is next week, this doesn't help me much today. I also tried contacting my nureouglist but he is out of the country also until next week. Help!! I don't know what to do, the withdrawals are killing me, and I would give anything to have more pills. Does anybody know if there is a better way of getting off of the meds? Or stopping cold turkey is better? I have been on the meds for 2 years now and it has truly taken over my life, my wife has told me that if im not clean by month end she will leave me. What do I do??

Thanks...
I have been addicted to Percocet 5, Morphine, Lortab, Lorcet, Lorcet PLus, Oxtconitin, Pot, hydroproferin, Tylenol 3, Tylenol 4, Anything I can get my hands on.  I have really bad teeth, and I live near DC so there are a lot of Dentists.  ALOT, So.. All I have to do is go to one of them, show them my full facial x-ray I keep, tell them I would like to get my teeth fixed.  What they do then is give me pain meds, some are Percocet, some are Lortab.  It doesn't matter to me.  They then give me a quick consult, and I'm out the door and never call them back.  I have a lot of money so I just pay them in Cash.  I know I have a REAL problem !!  I am Soooo Addicted to these things.  It's all I think about when I don't have them (Where can I get them, Who do I go to now) I would like to get help but I don't have time for a re-hab or the money for it.  I am taking Tylenol 4 as I type.  Everything is legal, but it's almost too easy to get this stuff.  I know ther are alot of people that would say "Stop, take them for your pain" but I am ADDICTED, I understand everyone on here has pain, but are we taking these pills to stop our pain, or are we taking these pills to stop our pain from addiction?
Hi everyone i was in a car accident not to long ago and the doctor gave me percocets i have had only 2 perscriptions of them but feel like i have already gotten addicted to them i think today and yesterday i didn't take any at all but today i feel like i have the flu. I do have a fever and i ache all over and my head hurts. i just feel plain blah could that be a sighn of addiction someone help me thanks
I don't know, maybe I missed the boat on this thing.  I understand the concerns with addiction, however I get a little worked up when it becomes the main focus of concern for an otherwise legitimate problem.  I have severe rheumatoid arthritis, osteo-arthritis, and degenerative disc disease.  I broke my back in June at L-2, and have degenerative spine problems at L-3-4-and 5.  Also at S-1 and 2, the arthritis has destroyed the discs and I have one that is bulging at S-3.  I take Percocet 10/650 one every 6 hours and 350 mg. Soma ever7y 6 hours.  Sometimes, I don't think I'm going to make it from the bed to the pill tray in the morning.  My rheumatologist and spine specialist both agree that I'm hooked on arthritis, not pain killers.  I truly believe that without these medications, I would have stepped in front of a bus by now.
I think doctor's are prescribing percocet too freely.  I had not been taking anything for of a hernia and a doctor prescribed percocet.  after reading all of your comments i'm not going to start.  good luck to getting off this stuff.
i have a question couldn't post a new one. i just got a new scrip for 30 percocet and they are blue. I know this sounds like a strange question but i usually get the generic roxicet for the
nee injury's i had about 3 mo's ago. Anyway i didn't ask the
pharmacy about it, because i didn't notice that they were blue
and have a (5) on them. I assume that means 5mg of oxycodone but
im not totaly sure and is there such thing as sustained release
percocet if so im going to take those back. Anyway just wanted to know if this is normal and just name brand vs generic and if
so is there any difference in strenth any info would be helpfull
thanks mikey>
Man, you ppl are scaring me! I've been on Oxycodone for almost 5 weeks for pain due to five broken ribs sustained during a bike accident. I tried to go cold-turky after a week but the pain was bad so got up to 8 tablets a day.

A month later, I'm down to 3 or 4 a day and I can't wait to get off this ****. I can't think straight, I'm constanly nauseous, have no appetite and my brain is mush. You take these things for fun? I can't imagine the high being worth the side effects.

This is the first day since my accident I've gone without taking a tablet during since waking up. I feel the withdrawal symptoms and can certainly hack it out for a couple of days. I'll probably take one before going to bed tonight and see if I can keep it to two a day until my supply runs out in a couple of weeks.

My withdrawal from caffeine was much worse - that was four days of the worst hangover of my life - and I was only drinking 2 Grande Bolds a day from Starbucks. If I can do that, I think I can manage this...

Hope all of you have found some peace and are managing your pain.
I have been taking percs for almost a yr i AM addicted phycically and mentally i have chronic pain im trying to ween myself off then i will stop cold turkey like b4 and be miseralble for 3- 4 days with the yawning pain tiredness restlessness crying depression but i half to do it i am prescribed oxycontin 10 mg and perc 10 mg and 2 flexeril muscle relaxents 10 mg at a time lets say i take 10 to 15 perc 10's a day i need 3 at a time to feel better i cant move in the am without them i am miserable with them and going broke i am always wondering where i will find them when my prescription runs out i get about 300 perc 10'a a month from 2 dr's and 60 oxy 10 mg a month i however stopped taking oxycontin about 3 weeks ago now just need to quit the percs i did it b4 and i know with god i can do it again. God bless you all trying to quit i hope you all have the strength and will to quit i will pray for all trying to quit. Just thought id tell a little of my story.i'll keep posted how it goes as long as i dont lose this web page.
you are posting to an old thread back from december of 2000...go back to forum and repost your questions...fraser..if your still taking the pills you havent felt any withdrawals yet, and even though you are  taking them for legitimate pain, you are in denial...it will get worse...if its not that bad then why dont you just stop taking them? and to compare opiate addiction withdrawals to caffeine, is just plain ignorant...but in time you will see...unfortunatley...what will you do when your supply runs out?ctincalvert- i wish you all the support you need, you are fighting a disease with no cure, but you can do it if you really want this, what is your chronic pain from? and should you even be stopping? does your doctor know you are going c/t?  repost so others can help and support you...i am afraid no one will see it here...
I just want to know if I am getting this through to anyone.  I need to talk to someone about my percocet problem and how to stop taking them.  I have tried to register but I don't know if it's working - could you just answer so I know I am getting through so we can talk?
Thanks, Cary Anne
I guess I wasn't paying attention to the dates when I wrote Lynn in 00.  You seem to have a more recent post and thought maybe I would have a better chance with you.  I need some help and some one to tell me how to stop taking percocet pills.  I want to know what to expect regarding withdrawal.  I have a hernieted disc in my neck and have been taking pills for them for six months.  I feel helpless to this medication but I am also in a lot of pain.  Can you help??? Cary Anne
I have been addicted to pain killers for over a year & a half.  I quit cold turkey on Sunday.............today is Tuesday (DAY 3!!)  We both have had flu symptoms, anxiety, and headaches.  We do not have a script and it is very expensive! Does it get better from here?
Let me clarify....my friend and I
   I have been addicted to pain killers for over a year & a half.  I quit cold turkey on Sunday.............today is Tuesday (DAY 3!!)  My friend & I both have had flu symptoms, anxiety, and headaches.  I do not have a script, he gets them through other friends and it gets very expensive! Does it get better from here?
I have been taking percocets and oxycodone for the past 2 years. I have a boyfriend who takes them recreationally to relax, get work done around the house, ect. He would offer them to me and I started to notice how I liked the way they make me feel. I'm a low energy person who battles low self esteem and deppression. I started to just take the percs/oxy's on weekends, or when we'd be going out somewhere to "enjoy" shopping or relax knowing we were headed to a big get-together with the in-laws. But now I go about 3 days without them and I find I'm so lethargic I can barely get out of bed, yet when I lay there...I can't sleep! I only take about 10mg/ once per day, but I know if I dont stop soon, I'm going to dig a hole I wont be able to crawl out of. Unlike the rest of you in this forum, I DON'T suffer from chronic pain and I'm so ashamed to say that I take them soley to get high. I dont know what the next step should be in order to quit, but quit successfully. My boyfriend laughs at me when I say I'm addicted because he doesnt have an addictive personality, but I DO and I know that after 3 days of being clean, that's the reason I'm so exhausted. Because my body is going through withdrawl. Should I start taking 1 perc every couple of days, then taper that off to once a week. I heard that loading up on multivitamins and 5htp is a good idea. I dont have a family docter to go to and ask for prescription drugs (like xanax for withdrawls and anxiety). Would ativan and advil help?
Yes, it does and will get better.  I had a herniated disc surgery 5-18-07, was given Vicodin.  Pain slowly improved until P.T. began then pain became worse again.  After a new MRI and lumbar myleogram they found a 0.9cm gas bubble trapped inside my wound site...compressing on the same SI nerve from the original surgery.  After great research and second opinion it was considered a 'fluke' thing to occur...lucky me.  Back to another surgery on 9-11-07 and seems to be fixed.  *Here's where it became bad, the side effects of my new drug, Percocet.  Bad stuff as far as constipation...almost had to head to ER, but problem resolved itself with help.  Went cold turkey on last Thursday and suffered withdrawal symptoms (flu like, shaking/twitching arms, insomnia, restlessness, etc).  Today, Sunday, I shook the flu like symptoms...but am suffering serious insomnia.  Lived off 4.5 hours sleep last night (usually I need 7 minimum).  Tonight I hope for more soon.

Buzzkiller, it will get better....but you might have to bear with it for a few long days and nights.  Stick with it though...no sense in going back to the beginning now.  

Thanks to everyone for posting on here...all the information has really shed light on my condition/issues...really appreciate it!  

Stay-at-home-daddy-John
Congrats on your ct!    I hope you got some sleep............

Luckily you've stopped the vikes before you see yourself years down the road like the rest of us!

Best wishes,
Karen
my mother is 65, she has had a total of 11 back surgeries throughout her life, she's always taken pain meds all my life, it was tylenol #3 , and then vicoden and now she's taking percocet, it's been a little over a year now on the percocet.  I noticed that my moms hands are trebbily more , she tells me it's old age.  
I know my mom has always had pain all growing up I watched her in pain.  I don't know if this percocet is good for her, she says it takes the pain away and I belive she is taking 4-6 per day.  I asked that i go to her upcoming Dr's appt and she said I could but she didn't want me to interfer too much, and  told her I just wanted to bring up to her Dr that i was worried about her hands shaking, and she got pretty mad at me and told me that it is a side effect of the medication and she didn't want him to take her off of it.  My mom doesn't normally get mad at me and change her tone so sharp so it made me feel real uneasy, and I got off the phone with her thinking is she hurting herself taking this drug.  what should I do?  should I insist to talk to her Dr or should i butt out?
My mom functions somewhat well, she is getting a bit forgetful, but is that because of age?  I don't want to harm the situation and have her Dr jump to conclusions and take my mom off of something that is helping her cope with pain.
thank you - Brina
Hi guys...

I have been on Oxycodone for about 2 years now for a deflated disc in my lower back. I get 60 a week. I have recently been taking so many that I spend a day or two every week in w/d. I have three kids and cant go into a program and leave them at all. I can relate to you all when you talk about feeling useless and empty without them, and I really hate that feeling. I think I will ask my Dr for something to help but I dont wanna get addicted to anything else. I am so disgusted with myself because when I dont have any pills I have no patience for my kids or my husband. I think about family functions and think...OMG will I have pills that day?? If not surely I cant go. I just dont know how I got like this. The worst part of all of this is I lost my mom last November...she died of opiate toxicity. How is it I can see what happened to her and let it happen to myself????
hello, i just wanted to let you know you will get more responses from wonderful people but you need to post your own question at the top of the forum.  Once you post a question then people will respond directly to you on your question.  This thread started in 2000.  If you are not sure how to post a question let me know.  I just want to make sure you all get help from the great people here.
Hello, I guess this is the begining for me Again. I just stopped with Percocet today again. long run, Got injured on the job 1.5 year ago, just had maybe my last not sure # 4 surgery last month. and Today i'm starting to go through Withdr. its kind of bad for Police officer to do that but I had no choice, Was Stabbed and shattered my right arm, had to have 4 surgeries but still not over not back to work yet, Doctor said possible surgery next month to remove plate from my arm. I started to take 2- 5mg a day, now i'm on 4-10mg a day. but today i'm starting to push it out, no need for this, I hear you guys have problems? we all doooo. and we will get through this. My suggestion for you all who is going through Withdr. do not take anymore pills. I went through withdr. 4 month ago. very bad I was very sick legs couldnt stop shaking was in serious pain. Took about 2 weeks with no sleep to get through this. and had to go back again on Percocet because of another surgery. So for those who is going through withdr. if you are not scared to Puke/throw up? twice a day drink Half of cup of Apple vinegar mixed with water. And alot of Exercise will help 80%. + Drink Ginger ale and lots of Water, I know it will be hard but trust me, everytime i Saw a Person in Jail who was going through withdr.  I always felt bad for them. So my Mom who is a Doctor said to me, get Apple vineger, and you will be fine in few days, for those who's been taking for more than 2 years will take about 2 weeks sometimes more, but if you follow this suggestion it could be less.
Anyway, Guys Stay Safe, Stop using drugs they dont fix problems they just make it worse, start being creative do things get a dog start doing work out, get busy, my prayer is with all of you, Take Care.
hello,anyone have in put.i've been on percocets 10-325 for 3 months  after 2 back surgeries and now  i've slowly got off them .i feel better but can't sleep for the past 5 days only short cat naps help.............. thanks , up all night...  is this the norm insomnia,fell feverish but no fever in evenings
I've been in the health profession for over 12 years.  I want to say that there has been some good advice.  However, you stated oral swelling in one of your earlier writings.  That makes me extremely concerned!

It is my opinion that you need to speak to your doc regarding the side effects of the Percocet.  Yes, Percocet has acetamenaphin in it, but that can aggitate the stomache and the liver.  

My MAIN worry is the tongue swelling and raw sensation.  I do not know lots about withdrawl symptomology, but I am familiar with allergies.  I am worried you are having moderate reactions some medication/ or less likely a food that you are taking in.  

PLEASE discuss the tongue swelling "withdrawl" with your doc immediately if not sooner.

Hope to help.

Gogeyi
Hi everyone, I have been taking Percocet for about six months I have been getting 30 pills per month, die t a car accident.  I have noticed that that they don’t have the same effect as when I started taking then I have been off about a week now.  All of a sudden I have developed something that has scared me.  It started earlier last week, when I am awakened in a dead sleep with the worst headache I have ever experienced.  And I have been sweating like I have never sweated.  To the point the sweat soaks my shirt.  I took Tylenol 3 tablet and within a half hour the throbbing headache goes away.  Problem is each day, now in day six; I’m still awakened in the middle of the night by this really bad headache.  Is this the side effects on withdraws?  Please help.  I have about ten pills left and now refuse to take anything as I don’t want to contribute to the pain in my head.  Please anyone know what is it that is causing these severe headaches, and sweating?
Again, you folks are posting on a thread that is 7 years old. These people are gone!

You need to go to the top of the page and post your own question. This particular thread will get buried and you will not get an answer.

I don't want you to think that you are being ignored. Hope to see you in the forum.
I seen this post and decided to respond without reading the rest of the thread.  I am sure everyone and their momma has an opinion on this..

"Are you kidding me?

You are saying that people who take opiods for chronic pain are drug addicts?

Man you are whacked!!"

Here it is kids, if you take opiates for a prolonged period of time, building up a tolerance until you have to take more each day, eventually you WILL get physically addicted.  Bottom line.  Weather or not you consider yourself an addict is irrelevant.  But look at the word addict; its not a far cry from addicted.  
I've been on doctor prescribed Roxicet (5/325) for the last 4 years due to neck and shoulder pain.  I had gotten to the point where I was taking 2 pills every 4-6 hours.  Due to some long hard work with physical therapy I was beginning to feel like I could start going off the Rox.  Then on Monday I got a "bug".  I threw up for 2 days.  Since I wasn't able to hold anything down I didn't take my meds.  I started having withdraws from the Rox but thought the symptoms were from the bug.  Once I was able to hold down water I started taking the meds again only this time I've cut it down more than half.  Now I'm on day 5 and the withdraw symptoms are pretty bad.  I started out this morning at 6:00am with 1 pill, just to relieve my sore muscles.  Then, by 10:00am the withdraw was so bad I needed to take another.  Can anyone help me with a timeline on how often I should take and how many?  Remember, I've been on these bad boys for 4 years.

Thanks for all your help.
Hey everyone...Im new to all of this and found the site after I googled  
" how to get clean off of percocet" After reading some of these posts I think this may be a good start cause I surely need to vent and I am crying for help for the 1st time. Here it goes..My names Kristy and Im a serious opiate addict. It started about 2 years ago with a few dental procedures and soo forth. At first I had taken them as precribed and actually didnt even like them much. They had only made me feel wierd. To make a long story short, with time I began taking more and more and now I see no doctors at all but someone very close to me sees them and gets precribed an enormous amount of 10's, 30's and Oxy 80's. Im positive I left some out, I just dont keep track but even me as an addict knows its insane and the doctors are absolutely crooked to do so. Anyway my habit is now extreme. He gives me a total of about 5 80's a day when he has only them left, and Id say when he only has 30's I get approximately 20 a day and when he has 10's I am taking 3 or 4 at a time and with each pill I am taking them every 2 hours like clockwork. Depending on the pill or strength it varies the qauntity but still every 2 hours. My body is on like an internal clock, I dont even have to know the time and when it hits 2 hours after my last dose I start snapping, get moody, have crying fits, cant stop sniffling, get the chills etc. My life is controlled and consumed by these pills. Its at the point I know it has to stop, or I am gonna die. Its cause relationship problems and my marriage is about to fail. I also am a mother and so far I dont feel it has affected my ability to be a parent but I know thats coming. I literally cannot get out of bed if them pills arent close to my bedside with a drink. I have to swallow that first set of pills just to climb outta bed or I will stay there all day. I dont wanna stop, Im dreading it. I dont even like gettin high anymore, I just dont know any different and cant imagine life without it. Im a whole different person without them,IM Miserable without them and no1 wants to be around me but I cannot do this anymore. I need help, Im scared and I am killing myself. I need advice on how to get clean.Please any help or advice would be very much appreciated.Thankyou
You are in the same boat as many have been here. You did however, post on an old post from 2000. So, start a new one top of page Post a Question button. Copy your post onto the new one, Give it a title, and start over. These old posts will get sent back to archives and we want to be able to help and get to know you. See ya on the new one.
Thanks, I had no clue. I did what you told me to do soo its up there as a new post. Again Thanks for the help..if you hadnt told me how to do it, I wouldve been stuck haha
I have been on Percoset since my second child was born Aug 06 I have been dealing with Chronic pain that just gets worse, as my tolerance for the pain meds gets stronger.  I ran out of my meds  a week early and now I am suffering big time. if I was not in so much pain I would be able to get through this. I am in the middle of a divorce where my jerk of a husband who has seen me doubled in pain is trying to make me look like a drug addict so he will have custody of our 2 children. so this makes it harder because I am suffering alone. I would not wish withdrawals on any one it i probably the worse thing I will ever have to get through. I was reading all the comments and encouragement that people have posted and it helps to know that I am not the only one who suffers with chronic pain. I know I will have to deal with this pain for the rest of my life and there is no easy way only to take one day at a time. as the saying goes what does not kill us makes us stronger. I wish everyone here the best of luck.
Lianne..

This post is old and huge. It is hard to read. Please go to the top of this page, and hit the post a question button. Start a new one of your own. Hope to see you in the forum.
I have been on percocets a year ago and im only 19 years old i broke my wrist and theye gave me a lot and I got hooked with them but the doctor wont give me a recepee anymore so i have to look for them on the street it is really hard to quit its almost as addictive as heroin
This is an old thread. Go to the top and hit the post a question button. Post your own question. You will not get many responses here...and we'd like to help you.Good luck.
Well I where you are or have been, so have I. I have a rare back condition called syringomyelia. Anyway started on the Percs 6 years ago and then steadily increased to about 15 Percs and 12 - 20mg oxy a day (getting some legal and some illegal). Reading through everyone's posts I see some of the same reasoning that I used to get to this point. I went cold turkey about 2 months ago and like you all know it was hell. I honestly wanted to die. Every symptom listed here I had X 10 because I had been on so much for so long. I will just tell everyone that it gets better. Much better after 2 weeks and then again after a month, and at two months almost normal. I do still have chronic pain which limits what I can do, but I am sure as many will attest it is better than being an addict. I was going to end up dead or in jail. One thing my doctor told me when I came clean with him; narcotic pain relievers block the pain receptors in your brain. Your brain doesn't like this so it creates more. After two years on moderate narcs my doctor said that whereas an inch of your skin normally has 100 pain receptors in the brain it will increase to around 600. Hence the extreme pain when you come off. It gets better though and will take about 2 months for the brain to normalize. I don't consider myself a strong minded person but I was able to do this so anyone can. Just remember please be honest with yourself. Even in pain my life is so much better now. Once you go down the addict path you will eventually lose everything that is dear to you unless you decide to stop. There are only two alternatives: control your own life or let the medicine control it. It is so dangerous that you cannot do it alone. Confide in someone you trust because you CANNOT trust yourself. We will trick ourselves into getting more medicine. Good luck to all and remember the power of prayer. With this one you need a little help from above.
yes ive been on percoct 5mg for almost years, and i beacame veery depend on the drug,its very very prowerful. and my script is almost up. ive been takin way too many. if im in a bad mood i take a extra, if im sad, aonther one, if people come over aonther one, and now, i dont have very many left, and im tryin to take less, beacause ill be goin through a 3week withdraw, which is hell. i did 3 days a month ago, and i was lossin my mind, i lost 20 lbs in the 3 days. only slelpt 2 hours a day. everything was painful, i couldnt eat, i was thowin up 2-5 times a day. and the days felt like weeks. and felt like i was diein slow which i was. i was doin alot of reseach about withdrawal and on alota of the pages, they say valuim helps, and tyoenlo PM helps, also majuniana belive it or not. i just hope and pray i can get through this 3 weeks.and if anyone is readin this and just got put on percocets, i'm tellin you do NOT abuse this medication cause it will take hold of you fast. only take it if you REALLY REALLY need it.
are u still going to that doctor who wrote u all those scripts?
Just going through and reading all of the entries; I am dumbfounded how similar i am to most of you. I have been diagnosed with systemic Lupus at the age of 21. I have been living with it now for a few years. I have chronic joint pain in my hands and kness and have been prescribed Percocet (anywhere form 10mg to 5mg) as well as oxycontin. I started out taking them as prescribed but I loved the feeling. I know I have a history of addiction in my family so I'm trying to stop, but i can talk myself into taking 1 then 3 and so on. I don't want my family to know because i fear their reaction. I want to stop and get on a non-narcotic like tramodol or something. I am going thru slight withdraws right now and I only have one pill left. I am so scared at what is to come. I am strong willed, but I don't think it will matter. i have been on someform for2 years now. and i have been tapering of with lower doses but my body is depending on them. I'm scared, crying, sweating and emotional. my protetant convictions are damning myself already for even being addicted in the first place. HELP!

---b-mo
TO START, I WAS INJURED IN 2004.I HAVE ATROPHY IN MY UPPER ARM(DUE TO NERVE DAMAGE) PAIN RADIATES FROM MY MID CERVICAL SPINE INTO MY HEAD DOWN TO MY SHOULDER(DEEP BEHINED MY SCAPULAR AREA) DOWN MY ARM TO MY WRIST. ANYWAY, I AM ON OPANA ER, SOMA, XODOL, XANAX, VALIUM, AMBIEN, LIDODERM-ALL FROM MY PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTOR. I AM IN MY MID 30'S AND I AM SURE YOU WILL AGREE THAT I CAN NOT LIVE THE REST OF MY LIFE LIKE THIS. AT THE SAME TIME I CAN NOT LIVE WITH THE PAIN EITHER. WE JUST KEEP GOING UP AND UP ON MY MED DOSAGES. WE HAVE ENTERTAINED THE IDEA OF SUBOXONE. HE WANTS TO ADMIT ME INTO THE HOSPITAL TO DO THIS AND I AM NOT GOING TO DO THAT. I WOULD RATHER TRY TO TACKLE THIS BY MYSELF WITHOUT SUBOXONE AND HOSPITAL. I DO NOT KNOW WHICH ONE TO WEEN OFF FIRST, HOW FAST AND WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE MEAN TIME. ANY SUGGESTION FROM ANYONE?
you need to start a new post..go back to forum and it will say post...this is an old thread and you will get some help...maria
I have been reading everyone's coments about their withdrawals and recovery. I had neck surgery on my c-4/c-5 (cervical fusion) and was put on 5/325 percs and i have been taking them for around 5-6 months now. I am not recovering as quickly as i should because i am a smoker but im pretty close now after 5 months post op!  I took my last pill on Friday night and i too am having severe withdrawals! My symptoms include diarhea, sneezing, extreme body ache, pins and needles in my legs, insomnia,runny nose,anxiety & slight depression. I got on this site to find imformation and i think now i can verify that i am having severe withdrawals! I must say this is one of the hardest things i've ever gone through. It is now Monday morning following July 4th weekend and i am  now in my third day of withdrawal. This is terrible and i keep thinking im dying thats how bad this is! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for their honesty and support. I will be monitering this site to try to stay busy and hopefully keep my mind off these terrible feelings. If i wanted to i could call my doctors nurse at 8am and have 60 pills before noon but i refuse to start this process all over again. Im gonna stay strong and fight, fight , fight!!! Thanks again , Dave from Indiana

My fiance is going cold turkey off of perc 10s about 7 to 12 a day. can anyone tell me how long til he should start feeling better and whats the best thing to take for the stomach pain.

D
Hi D3262,

This post is 9 years old. Please go to the top of the page and hit the green "Post A Question" button and start your own post. You will get a lot of help and advise. Hope to see you out there.

If you need help, let one of us know.
I had 14 surguries by the time I was 35. My tolerance for narcotics is insane... at one point I was taking 24 10mg lortab a day.. ig I didn't have lortab it was percocet, as well as xanax. There is a drug out there called Clonidine that helps with the effects of withdrawal. It doesn't make them go away completely and must be used correctly because it to can become addictive ( although not nearly like narcotics/opiates). It stops the sweating and the shakes. It is a gentle blood pressure medication, but is also perscreibed for withdrawal, painful periods in women, hot flashes and night sweats.
I hope this helps you
Ex-perc lover
I am going in for surgery soon on my back. I am out of percs and morphine. In bad pain. Also sweating, insomia, twitches. I had enough pain meds until end of this month, but I know that someones gotten into them and took some. I did not realize I would go through this withdrawels and feel awful. Pain is so bad. Surgery is 10 more days. Don't know what to do. Thinking about going to ER.
I took Tramacet last year for 2 weeks for a pinched nerve (in the percocet fam) and I found sites like this and decided to quit. I kept a few in my dresser but never took them but some days I just wanted to take them because my shoulder hurt so much, but I realized by reading about it that it wasn't helping my pain, which helped me not take them. However, the withdrawals, like everyone else, were brutal. Couldn't sleep for a month and I just never felt quite 'right' for three months after.

After 3 months I went to a chiropractor and within a month I was completely free of physical addiction. Because the treatments open up your body's passageways (for lack of a better word) and that allows your body to drain the drug. It also allows the drug to drain from your brain because that is where the addiction is starting. The opioids in the drug remain in the synapses, so there is too much of it floating around all the time, which causes the symptoms. It keeps your body hyper-alert. And the addiction reward circuit is what makes you want the drug more, even though it's not a psychological addiction. It's a very tricky thing.

So, I realize many people laugh at chiropractic. But it worked. And I have seen it work for others. So I encourage you to try it - but make SURE you find a good chiro - you have to shop around. Don't go to a 'bone cruncher' or anyone who insists that they have to manipulate your neck. That is completely your choice. Find a gentle and knowledgeable chiropractor.

And hey, from what I've read, nothing else seems to work and some people are addicted for years. So at least trying it appears to be better than nothing. What is there to lose????
I am now on my third day of withdrawl  (WOW ) this is crazy. I will never take another Pill again (percochet) .I just wanna tell everyone, Im no angel. I have dibble and dabbled in every type of illegal drug known to man.I have never gotten hooked and never had withdrawls no matter how long or how much i used. Always thought of myself as strong minded, strong willed (not as one of those people, the weak minded as i would call them) God i hope this feeling goes away, anyway , Please take my advice ....Percochet (Bad Medicine) Pain Pills (Bad Medicine) My doctor told me a year ago never take more than four a day, He should of gave me asprin . Percocet Makes you feel good like you have energy ( hey people are making millions on energy drinks ) Why wouldn't you like that feeling..The problem is you body builds a tolerance to them therefore you need more and and more to get that feeling..( same thing as any illegal drug) But somethings different about percocet Its legal if you go through the right channels (but you'll only need that info when your doctor just shuts you off , and politely says you may feel some small withdrawl  symptoms ,but you'll be okay.) Small my *** , My friend whom we will not name, was here yesterday(he is a known heroin addict sick 5 days ,God for 2 days) Damn Dude ,he says to me, when did you start using the boy? ( another name for heroin) What the Hell are you talking about i say, he says stop ******** me man i know them signs any where, when i tell him whats going on , he's like dude hook me up ...no seriously he didn't say that ..But he did tell me to hang in there and it would pass in a couple of days. People i guess the reason i wrote this is to maybe help someone ( and i didn't have anything better to do but sit here feeling like ****) Hey if this helps someone cool if doesn't it did me (gave me something to take my mind off ,well you know BLLLLAAAAHHH )just kidding .. When you get something from your Doctor Follow  the script , and use the internet to look it up ,that way you know what your getting into .Hell if your reading this (Bet you wish you did some research first ,LOL) then you know how to find things on the web so from now on we can only blame ourselves .......( Who said doctors know everything , Meteorologist went to college too, and WE ALL KNOW THEIR  NEVER RIGHT) Goodbye all and Good luck BillyB
hi billy, wow i read your story and i feel just like you did, im sure you have overcome this damn demon of drugs. You know we trust our DR's to give us the right meds for our conditions and we are never told of the additiction levels they cause nor are we told of the horrible withdrawls we will incounter. Well im just there myself, i was on 30 mg of morphine and taking 2 aday then it slowly went up to 3/4 aday, so ive taken myself totally off them and now im trying to do the same with these perks, so all in all how you doing did you get over it and if so how long did it actually take and what do you take now for your pain,thanks so much
I am on day #4 cold turkey I'm almost thru this complete HELL I was taking 14 pecocets10/325 a day for chronic knee pain for 1 &1/2 years.  I wanted off these pills so badly, I had a total knee replacement it has been 6 weeks since surgery so I did not call for a refill & decided to quit.  Hard road to go, I have a problem with the Doc's that will just prescribe this stuff so freely & it was not my knee Doc but my family Doc.  My responsililty lies with me for taking them & asking for them.  I should mention that I'm 48 years old & was told that I was too young for the replacement by several Docs.  untill I found the right one who would do the surgery. I'm just now begaining to get my emotional state ie. feelings back & at day 4 & to realize that they had been missing all this time boy what a tough thing to realize that they had been missing all this time.  This letter is written to give the people hope who have not made it this far that it can be done & is great when your almost at the end.  Best wishes to all.
Our health care system is messed up-money is at the root of this and I mean massive amounts of it. It starts in med school, if you've seen the posters on the walls to the behind the scenes funding it all comes from the condoned drug dealing of the big pharmaceuticals. Doctor's graduate with an obligation to go out and push these on people. If they had any real life experience with addicted people or directly had one of their own, they might think twice. How many  fun weekends are nurses wisked away on to fancy hotels, given all this shwag to give out , brainwashed into pushing whatever drug that conference is payed for by. Its disgusting and someone needs to expose some of these druglords. In the end they arent that different than other drug pusher on this planet.motivated by MONEY, they just dress it up in nice suites and have powerful lawyers to steamroll over any legal trouble. When will we all wake up and realize that the best medicine is the food we eat???!!!!
I am on 10/325 8 aday for herniated disc but I also get percocet 30s occasionally as well maybe 2 times a week.  I have not taken them in about 24 hours and I somehow am really not feeling to bad, body just feeling aches a little.  Everyone remember within a week you should feel somewhat normal thats something to look forward to.  I have been through this over a hundred times im sure of it and it is a viscious cycle if you really need them.
Wow, I thought it was just me going through this.
I tried to post a comment a minute ago, & don't know if it went thru, so apologies if this dupes.... My fiance' is seriously addicted, he starts to get angry when they start to get low, but the monster comes out when they are completely gone. We have one-year-old son, & so far, I have been the only target for the "percocet anger", I was woken to a fist in my face, & fat-lip @ 2:00 am the other night, completely unprovoked, how long will the withdrawal last, & am I putting my son in danger by staying with this man???? I truly love him, & know there IS a really good guy, & good father in him, when he is not going thru the withdrawal..... any input would be greatly appreciated.........
I ruptured my right Achilles tendon 3 weeks ago and was given Percocet for the pain.  I stopped taking them this past Friday and have had a terrible weekend as a result;  body aches, unable to sleep through the night, indigestion, diarrhea, chills, edginess, emotional turmoil and wanting to be alone (normally, I love having people around).  Oh, and I had a terrible crying jag yesterday morning and felt on the verge of tears much of the day.  All this after only 3 weeks of taking Percocet!  And, I was taking them as needed - not on a regular schedule - only when the pain was intense.

If going cold turkey feels like this after only 3 weeks, I feel incredible compassion for those who have needed them or have been taking them longer and are trying to stop.  I am NOT going to take Percocet again unless I have intense pain.  I will stick to Ibuprofen (Advil) as I tolerate that well.

In the meantime, I'm on day 3 of my withdrawals.  So far, today is much better than yesterday and I'm starting to feel like my old self again.

To everyone reading this list, best wishes to you and hang in there.  The withdrawal does get better - it just feels terrible while you are in it.
I got through!  All of the side effects of stopping the Percocet are gone and I feel like my old self again (happy, positive with a twinkle in my eye).  When I have a bit of pain, I take Advil and it takes care of it.  

I hope I never have to take Percocet again!
MY NAME IS SCOTT. I HAD A DISC FUSION ON FRIDAY IVE BEEN ON PERCS FOR ABOUT A YEAR DUE TO A CAR ACCIDENT. I STARTED WITH 1 PILL A 5MG NOW IM UP TO 4 OR 5 10 MGS  A DAY I LOVE THE FEELING BUT KNOW IM HEADED DOWN A BAD ROAD. I CAN GO A COUPLE OF DAYS WITH OUT THEM BUT I KNOW I WANT THEM. IM UP ALL NIGHT I DONT EAT MUCH AND I FALL ASLEEP DURING THE DAY. I GOT 60 PILLS THE DAY OF MY SURGERY (4 DAYS AGO) AND I HAVE TAKEN PROB 25 OR SO SINCE. I WILL STOP AFTER THIS SCRIPT RUNS OUT. I AM AN ADDICT I KNOW I AM MY WIFE KNOWS I AM BUT TO HER I DENY IT. IRONICALY THEY STILL WORK. IF YOU READ THIS GET OFF THESE DANGEROUS PILLS BEFORE ITS TO LATE. IF I CANT I WILL CHECK MY SELF IN TO NARCOTICS ANONOMYS. I HAVE TO FOR MY HEALTH AND FAMILYS WELL BEING.
THANKS FOR LISTENING!!!!!!!
I have been taking percocets for about 2 years now... it started when i was in a car accident and had back problems... then my boyfriend who i have been with for 6 years now was in a major four wheeling accident, tore half of his face off and broke his pelvis and crushed his shin... he was on them and offered me some... and here we are 2 years later... those first pills were just 5mg and now we both have a "dr feel good" as we refer to him and go once a month to now get 30mg tablets... we take them every day. at first it was only at night... now we take them at work and just at least twice a day... more if we have them. but once the doctors scripts run out we are now so bad as to going broke to make sure we have them.... as we are right now.... and i feel at rock bottom. i have gotten to the point because i HATE my job i cant stand it when i feel at my peak buzz...let alone being addicted and going to a job i HATE without any pills... i am scared. my body is used to taking them in the morning and at night...to the point that when i finally get to sleep in on the weekends my body wakes me up with the cold sweats and belly aches.... i just feel at rock bottom. we are both addicted together and its even worse. he is more mentally addicted as i am scared of the physical...mentally i have been thru a lot and i KNOW that once I get thru the physical part I will be able to stand up and get rid of the things making me miserable. like my job. This is my first attempt at searching for help. I cant stop cold turkey, but i dont know what to do. Can anyone please help me? Part of me wants to do the inpatient treatment but i cant take the time off of work, and certainly do not want to tell anyone other than the ones who already know about my addiction, people expect so much more from me.
I am worried it will be worse because my bf and i have been together for a long time and this is truly tearing us apart. i want to stop but he says he wants to its just not that easy and makes no attempt. so i stick with it. i am still young and have a lot ahead of me. but i wouldnt want to leave him at his time of need either.... decisions decisons.... i am going crazy...its easier to pop a percocet and watch a movie and try to let it go. but i cant keep this going. everyday i am more miserable because i know i can beat this and be better at everything all around me. stop putting up with this life style... but procrastination and just plain fear have kept me sitting right here, same thing day in and day out. any advice.....please?
My name is Mandi. I’m a normal person in general. Me I’m now going through a problem with percocet. Well, not me, my husband is badly addicted. It’s been about a year. A friend introduced him to them for recreational use. At first it was weekends, then nights and weekends, and now he can’t stay clean even to work. I have cried and screamed. I have threatened to leave with our kids and left for a day one time. I feel like I love him so much. We been married for 6 years and built a wonderful life. We are company owners and homeowners and my kids have it all. We'll not it all cause they have lost their father. He is withdrawn and always tired. So impatient and moody. Its like we don’t exists to him anymore. He lies to me and says he’s not on them but his lil beady eyes tell on him. He swares he can stop but at the risk of losing us he couldn’t even stop. We have 5 good years together and I feel like leaving him over 1 year of this is wrong. I just don’t know what else to do........ Trust I have pulled out all of my tricks. Nothing works. He said today "his problem wasn’t the perk it was me." He said "anything that would make him happy I would ruin." This breaks my heart. I know it’s the addict talking but how do you save someone who doesn’t want to be saved????? I've been a good wife to him. I've been faithful and honest and I take care of home and my kids. Maybe Im just not enough for him. That’s how I feel. Maybe he takes the perks cause he hates me. If I leave then at least he can clean up and get right for these kids. See I grew up with addict parents. I've been dropped off to my grandparents while my mom goes M.I.A. for weeks. No one knew if she was even alive. I have not seen my dad for years at a time and one time sat outside waiting on him till midnight cause I thought if I went in he would come and I’d miss him. He never came. I was 10. I'm grown now and I made a promise to god that I would never put my kids through that kinda stuff. How long before they notice he's on drugs??? How much of there life is he going to miss before he realizes he’s even missing anything???? As I read all of ya'lls Life stories and struggles with percocet. I sat here and cried. I feel for every one of you. And most of I feel for myself. I see this road is long and probley wont end well. Those of you who recognize you have a problem and most of you do.... Im sooooo proud you are overcoming this nasty disease. I don’t know what Im going to do, but if so many of ya'll can fight this and win it gives me hope for my husband as well. It’s too bad that at this point we might not ever be a real family again. I have kids to protect and I have to do what’s best for them. I pray he gets clean so he can be a good father. I will be O.K. This forum is amazing. I needed to read this. Good luck to all of you and thank you so much.
I'm a 32 y/o single Mom who started taking percocet about 11 months ago. I've been taking them every day, sometimes up to 10 a day, for the last 6 months. I am READY to QUIT! I've tried tappering down and I went 3 days clean and then got some percs and I've cut them up into little pieces trying to tapper off myself. Otherwise I feel like I'm dying. After 3 days clean I  made it through the chills and diarrhea but the lack of energy is what's killing me. If I could take 2 weeks off of work and have absolutely nothing to do then I could make it. Problem with that is I HAVE to get up everyday and go to work and be a Mom. I don't know if I can do this. Its all I can do to get out of bed and I'm barely making it a work.  I have heard of Suboxone but I'm almost scared to take anything else I may become addicted to, as well. Somebody please tell me how long this drained depressing feeling lasts and what I should do to quit. Please help. Any advice is helpful and much appreciated.
Need to start your own thread with your question. This thread is 10 years old..Go to the main forum page and click on "post a question"..You will get reponses alot faster that way..
I didn't know I was going through withdrawal until now my back is burning I am at work with only one hour of sleep hot n cold chills goose bumps!!! All for a car accident that caused a torn rotator cuff and all cervical disks to buldge with the one between five and six  the worst!! It's impinging the Thecal sac and causing spinal stenosis .  I am tired of taking these pills that's why I'm stopping so I have a mixture of withdrawal pains and legitimate  pain attacking me all at once! B
Help!!!
Hi bob my name is stacy I've been taking percoset for about a year and I stopped about 2 days ago I was only taking about 2 10 mg a day and now I feel horrible what can I do I really need help
Nancy my name is stacy I could really use your help with dealing withdraw I can't sleep my legs feel all tingly n I have to work all the time what can I do

I am tryijng to not take oxycontin...I started 3 yrs ago when my daughter was 3yrs,

I have not been sleeping and feel cold with shakes on the inside,

I had some trauma with my family in July and was not dealing well and ended up in 3 car accidents,

Is there something I can ask my doctor this week I can take to curve the need for pain killers?

~Eva~
I am 43 male. 5-5, 142lb. At the age of 30 I had a heart attack and had triple bypass open-heart surgery. I suffered depression. I got better from it; 9 years later I suffered 2nd heart attack and ended up with 5 bypass surgeries. Since the 2nd operation I was given percocet. First 6 months I hated it, I get 10/650 100pills and suppose to take 4 a day as needed. I am on it for 4 years. Lately I finish them in 3 weeks. I know I am an addict because I tried to get these pills using fake script. If I take too many of them, my stomach feels like I have flu. If I don’t take that many I feel like in pain everywhere, it feels like I need a massage. Can anyone help me please?
i personally have never been addicted to percocets but i know the effect it has on you. i have a very close family member who is addictied to them and without them they cant get through the day. the best thing to do is accept the fact that you have a addiction and to not deny it. accepting it will help you to better figure out how to get out of the addiction. talk with friends,family and your doctor to get through it all. you may think now that there is no way you can be helped but you can. keep positive and things will start to get better. have faith and beleive in yourself
im new here,n verry worried im kicking percs after about 2yrs at about 4-6 yellow10s a day its only been 1 day and i feel like hell..i have the runs,headache,bodyaches,sweats ect....how long will i go through this n wat can help ease me please any1 help thanx in advance
What were your doctors thinking? Sounds like they were looking for an easy solution to some serious health issues. Percocet for 4 months? That's insane,. Shame on your doctors. They should have referred you all to specialists or even suggested homeopathic therapy such as acupuncture or massage. These doctors are just pushers for the pharmaceutical companies. Hope you all do well in the future and find drug-free solutions for your ailments.
Is dizziness a side effect of withdrawing from Percocet? My last Percocet was yesterday.  I've been feeling very light-headed and dizzy all day.  Can't find an answer anywhere on this, please help.
I HAD A VERY BAD UPPER LEFT BACK PAIN AND THE FIRST THING THEY GAVE ME IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM WAS TWO PILLS OF PERCOCET....MY GOODNESS ...I ALMOST DIED...I STARTED FEELING LIKE MY STOMACHE WAS GOING TO EXPLODE THEN I STARTED LOSING MY BREATH...I COULDN'T BREATHE...AFTER A COUPLE HOURS I'M INFORMED MY LIVER ENZYMES ARE AT 600 WHEN NORMAL IS LIKE 40...MY LIVER ENZYMES WERE NEVER THAT HIGH AND I THINK IT WAS THE REACTION TO PERCOCET...AFTERWARDS THEY PUT A RED BRACELET WITH THE NAME PERCOCET SO WHILE I WAS AT THE HOSPITAL NOBODY WOULD PRESCRIBE THIS TO ME...I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A WEEK BUT THE ACTUAL REASON I WENT THERE FOR WAS NEVER CURED MY BACK PAIN....NOW I'M INFORMED I CAN'T EVEN TAKE TYLENOL CAUSE ITS BAD FOR MY LIVER....HUM..
Hi joangy214,

You should post a new question and that way more people can respond to you.  This is an old thread and they tend to get overlooked!  Also, it's a little easier to read posts when they aren't all in capital letters - just some friendly advice!!  :)

We can be here for you - just start a new question!  And welcome!!!
i want to stop taking these percs how do i stop...
I've been abusing percs for more than a year now. I have never had a prescription. Ive been off of them I think for like a week or something. I don't know. I can't really think straight. It's around 1 in the am, can't sleep. I've never actually tried to quit before. The most I've ever gone without having anything was like 2 or 3 days, and that was just for lack of the pills. I don't think I'm gonna make it. When I'm on them I'm so active and outgoing. But I guess its called withdrawals for a reason. That's exactly how I feel, withdrawn. Tense, achey, uneasy, restless, worn-out, don't want to do anything. I feel like I'm gonna fall back into using them. I've been reading that people trying to quit usually have more luck if they gradually decrease they're dose, and taper off to a point where the withdrawals would be much more manageable. But I think the addict in me just wants to go that route so I can continue to use. I don't know what to do. I need help. I don't want to quit cold turkey, and I defiantly don't want to check into rehab. Having read through some of the past posts, I hope no one takes offence of my complaints, seeing as I have never had an accident or injury, that would cause me to become addicted. I'm just an addict. And I'm lost. :(
been taking perks since 2006, four a day everyday. i decided to quit taking them about 2 weeks ago and havent slipped up once, but since i quit i cannot stop sweating from under my left armpit. the only other effect i could feel from quiting was restless leg syndrome at night when trying to sleep.(starting to get a little better) was just wondering if anybody else knows how long this sweating may last for, it's gross and embarrasing.
thanks and good luck to all.
I have been taking Percocet 10/650 for about 6 years, my Dr has just dropped it down to 10/ 325 due to the amount of time I have been on them my liver ensymes have elavated. (OK).  I want soooo bad to get off the pills but if I go 4 hours without one I feel so bad I want to crawl out of my skin. I know there are other meds I can take for the withdrawls but they are so expensive and I just can't afford it, ins. won't cover them.  Like everyone else I run out before time to refill and start to panic, then I cut back and hope I can get them refilled a few days early.  I hate this thing having control of my life but I just can't stand the withdrawls ( sooo BAD).   I am tellling you guys I fell like Iam dying only after 4 hours.  I am to take 1 every 6 hours but I can't make it that long, I try to wait at least 5 hours and sometimes it's only 2 hours before I take one.  Please help me if you can!