Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Please help! How long will these norco withdrawls last?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi, I've been using norco for about 2 years on a daily basis. I take at least 9 pills a day of 10/325. I recently got up to taking 3 pills at one time. My last pill was 48hrs ago and I feel really crappy! I am so sleepy and exhausted, but I can't sleep. The first night I slept for about an hour then I got up and went to work. The whole time at work all I wanted to do was go home and sleep. When I got home that was the last thing I could do. I tossed and turned all night. Finally I remembered that I had a few soma that I had taken a long time ago, so I took 1 and I slept for a full 4hrs. I am not going to take anymore soma I just want to be able to stay clear of all meds. Since I've stopped taking norco I've gone through so much. I am cold one min and hot the next. I am not hungry what soever, which is very weird. I sneeze all the time. My body is very weak and I feel kinda depressed. I have the choice of getting some more pills, but I'm trying very hard not to. I hate these withdrawls and I feel like maybe I shouldn't have gone cold turkey so I keep telling myself that maybe I should get these pills and try to come off of them slowly. Does anyone know how long these withdrawls will last? Any advice? PLEASE!! Thanks!
Tags: Addiction
Thank you for the info! I guess I forgot to say that I have severe lower backpain due to an accident 3 years ago. I started off using this drug for relief and the longer I took it the more I needed to get the same effect. I hadn't realized I had a problem until I came to this website, now I see that I do. I do receive a script for this med, but I've had a few doctors in the past few years because of insurance purposes so it has been easier to get these pills. My doctor is now telling me that I should really consider longterm treatment rather than short term. I still have not taken another pill since friday morning and I'm feeling a little better. I actually had a meal today, I can't say that I kept it all in, but at least I was able to eat.
I too am presently going through cold turkey withdrawal from a 12-14 hydrocodone habit.  My last pill was 4:00 P.M. sat. The only thing I can say that although it is hell--It is only temporary! Please don't go back because each time the withdrawals are worse--You can make it though--one minute-one hour-one day at a time.  Peace and prayers  N.O. lady--AKA Mystere
i apologize for posting again but this forum is the only thing that keeps me from losing my mind.  My husband and I returned from our trip (some will remember that I was going to Taper--YEA RIGHT--Here I am going through another withdrawal-Please I could use some words of wisdom and support.  God this addiction thing sucks!--I am now back to counting the hours since my last pill--42 hrs. And its a miracle I'm at work!  Peace and Prayers to everyone going through this N.O. Lady AKA Mystere
Hi: My last large dose of Percosets and Fioricets were last Monday and here it is a week - I won't say already because it has been a long week. I had a migraine pretty much the entire time and have been miserable, but I just used my Imitrex. I started to ween myself off the narcotics by dropping down to two 5mg tabs per day just of the Percosets, I stopped the Fiorinal right away. Then on the third day I went without anything and surprisingly didn't feel that bad. The next day was harder though. It's the pure anxiety right below your rib cage in the center that is the worst for me. I buckled and took a 5mg Perc yesterday, but I'm back on track today. The only thing that is saving me are anti-anxiety drugs (one 8th - to one quarter of a 5mg tab valium) to help me sleep. Otherwise, I think I'd be up 24/7. But there's hope, my hands aren't shaking anymore, but I need to keep busy because too much idle time makes me think of the fun and enjoyment I used to have. I'm looking forward to life straight for a change. I allowed myself a month to ween off the pills but I think I should be pretty good there by the end of this week. I hope! I also didn't think I'd have the psycological desire because I wanted to be off these things so bad, but it is there. So, take my advice and call your local hospital's behavioral health dept. and see what they have for counciling. Good luck - if I can do it, you can too!
Well God just keeps putting you in my line of vision, girl......!!!  I happened to see your post today and I'm glad to hear from you.  I knew you were going on your trip, so it's good to hear you made it through that.  And you're in W/D again, but isn't that better than saying," I'm USING again??"  You've made it  more than 5 minutes; more than an hour; more than a DAY...so HANG IIN THERE!!!!!  Use the recipe if that's your MO, but get a plan and stick w/ it.  Do whatever you can to feel better!! (except the obvious, Hon...!!)  We are gonna get you through this, woman!!!  How is it at work?? Are you coping okay?? If it gets too bad, can you bail for an afternoon ot two??  If it's keeping your mind off how shitty you feel,  and you're dealing w/ it, then maybe that's where you need to be.  Just lay low.
   I'm going to be gone all day, but I hope to come back tonight and get a progress report from ya.......I'll do another cheerlead if ya want.  LOL  I don't mind lookin' stupid...:-) STICK W/ IT, LADY!!!!!  Love--Peazy
I just read your post and am so glad to hear that you are getting off of the drugs. As I said in my earlier post to you I am not real familiar with the opiates, but very familiar with the fiorinal and it sounds like you may be over the worst of it.

I'm sure the valium is helping with the anxiety.  Another drug which I have found helpful is "neurontin" it's and anti-seizure med but is used for withdrawal from barbituates which is what fiorinal is.  It has helped me alot.  

I know how bad those headaches are and am glad to hear that Imitrex is helping.  

Try to be good to yourself during this time and please stay in touch.

Golden Slipper
I seem to have made it through work--Thanks so much for the inspiring post--I will post again tonight from home and let you know what is going on thanks again Peazy--You are my Godsend--Peace & Prayers--N.O. Lady AKA Mystere
Well if I don't get this off mu chest right now I'm going to explode--The little demons started circling about 2:00 p.m. today so I called my friend who is the pharmacist and to him that I so conveniently left all my medicine in the room safe in Las Vegas--He said the only thing i had to do was have my husband call and ok an early refill--Sooo yes I asked my husband(he is a physician and absolutely hates calling in any type of medicine for friends or family) if he would call in the refill since I had left all my meds at the hotel--Well i could tell by the sound of his voice he didn't quite believe my story--Well I thought everything was ok until he called back on cell phone and he discovered the empty rx bottles in an Armoir in the upstairs bedroom--I am sooo busted--But more than that I love this man more than life itself and the fact that I betrayed his trust for these stupid pills is just beyond comprehension--I will be leaving soon for home and I know I have hurt this man so deeply that I wonder if it can be repaired  I'm so ashamed and scared right now--I really need all of your prayers--N.O. Lady/Mystere
It will be OK, Mystere. The BEST thang is: HE loves YOU. The 2nd best thing is, now y0u can come clean w. him ( I can't come clean w. my spouse.. tho He too loves Me)..and the 3RD best thhing is since Lover is a Doc, he can wean you and Hold the goods in a safety deposit box if needed. I am Exactly 24 hours ahead of you on recovery, from the same/exact habit. I had gum surgery today, straight.. actually Double Quad surgery. All I took were the frickin numbing shots and the paper script for 22 VikeEs. I gave the script to my spouse and said: "Hold this for me, Baybee. Those things make me weird." Now. I only have to make it til 9 o'clock tonite when the pharmacies close, or hope he works til 9. Not tearing up the script or saying NO SCRIPT to the doc was impossible. I wanted the safety blankie of kmowing.. knowing what? That I could resume Insanity? Stupid, and I hope not, for the numbness has worn off and my gums are throbbing to east hell and back. But NOLA, we can do this. Read Hippee's post, and some from RStew written when I was exactly at the point of recovery you are this weekend. They are under the thread: "Is there an easy wasy to detox off Vikes?" (or some such insane wish like that) Anyhooo, hot baths, movies, forced dinners out (isnt there an abfab Lunch Place in NOLA called Yugilesh's(sp)?, heating pads, sex, damn new pets, whatever it takes.. but keep yr mind outta yr imagination and things like.. "The Perfect Plan".... such as "Maybe I can make myself invisible and walk right into all old fart's homes and help myself to their stashes." (The mind of an addict Jonesin) Ug. YOU CAN DO THIS. WE CAN DO THIS. ~ rode w/ C

(one more thing... Were ALL the times high on Vikes wonderful? I remember those too, and conveniently forget the times I hugged the toilet bowl tighter than my mutha.)
Thank so much for responding--There is a certain amount of relief that it is all out in the open--Somehow I always knew if I continued this insanity that this day would come--I have never seen him so ANGRY!  I'm crying so hard I can barely type. I have mentioned in previous threads that he has no idea about this disease and the insanity it brings!  He thinks its just a matter of willpower and just stop!  Oh yes and he said that it was MY PROBLEM and I had better fix it! That really sounds like support doesn't it?  It's almost like he thinks I did this on purpose just to hurt him! Oh yes I woke up one day and said I think I'll become addicted to hydrocodone and all the misery that goes with it.  I know he is hurt and angry but I feel so alone right now.  I hope the pain from your gum surgery gets better!  I also know about dental work and the pain involved.  Thanks again for being here and listening. I almost can't believe this is happening.  Thanks for saying that he loves me because right now I'm not so sure.  Peace and Prayers--N.O. Lady AKA Mystere
Greetings fellow N-user,
If it makes you feel any better I was taking 3-4 times what you took in a sitting, ie.. TEN 10/325 whenever I got home from work to help me deal.  Well you all know how that goes long term. Not good.  In fact near the end 10 pills barely even made a difference except I felt somewhat normal again. Right now I'm struggling thru the death by a thousand cuts tapper and down to just 20mg or four 5mg a day.  I started legit thru pain management, now pain not so bad when you compare it to the pain of WD's.  For a young guy, the pain causes me to walk a little funny but at least the head on my shoulder can see straight and not thru pin-eyed pupils and always scratching myself!  (Oh the feeling of a good hydro "zone" scratching.)  Anyway, hang in there and know your not alone, you can get life back.  I have been there twice in last 4 years and would do anything to get back there again. To wake up in the morning and think straight, feel clear, feel alive.  Keep your focus and you will make it. Prayin for ya,
Nod
i am hardly ready to advise anyone, and would chomp at the bit here myself... if I could chew that is. That aside: I looked in my notes (from my NOLA trips).. get a silk teddy (men like red I'm tole). Use it before, after, or during the cab ride to 1238 Baronne St, "Uglescich's" ph # 523-8571. After, 'cruddle' up in bed before he bricks it and (try) x-plain recovery. Hell. I dont know if it will work, but tho u may not feel like it (in fact wont), it's worth the shot. Just my opinion. Best to u~
Dear One:  I know you must be scared and have massive guilt and shame and all those other intense emotions that go through an addict's mind when their dirty little secret is OUT--along w/ all the myriad of utter, whopping LIES that we've told.......IT'S OKAY.  You are actually much better off  now that  your husband knows the truth (or at least a portion of it).  Now you can stop the damn charades, pretenses, get honest w/ HIM and YOURSELF and get on the road to cleaning yourself up.  It's staggering how a physician doesn't understand any more than he does about "your problem"...(no comment!!) but if he loves you (and he does) he will get educated so he can help you to help yourself.   I think in the next few days he will calm down and be more rational and the two of you can decide to lick this demon TOGETHER.    Make it your mission to be straight w/ him about everything and vow to make this a turning point in your relationship as far as trust and honesty are concerned.  It will be such an onus off your shoulders if you can  convince him that you need to turn TO him instead of be forced AWAY from him in your battle....That part will be up to him. But you must ultimately do this for yourself, and you already know that.  Things will look so much better even in the morning--I promise.  Go day-to-day and hang in there, sweets.  Sorry if this post is disjoint but I've had ten interruptions from a teenager and if that ain't a challenge, i don't know what is!!  Let me hear from you OFTEN!!!!  I will help however you need me to.  love, peaz
Peazy said it so well - and I really don't have anything to add to it, but just want you to know you're in my heart and prayers. Something just tells me things are gonna turn out OK for ya. (And she's right - we've ALL told whoppers and manipulated to get what we want!...which makes us feel, well, probably "less than perfect")...smile. I've read your posts over the last few months, lady, and understand what you're going through.  Hydro addiction is hell.  I like Dr. Phil's definition of addiction (which, since, I'm on part-time, I have to admit I'm addicted to Dr. Phil)...smile  Addiction: (whether it be drugs, gambling, alcohol,video games, whatever) - Is when you go from controlling the addictive behavior to the addictive behavior controls you!  Love ya, NOL - hang in there, babe. Lisabet
Thank you Peazy--You always know the right thing to say-It is so hard to see past my abject misery right now but in my heart I know things will be better in the morning--I have been crying from the moment i got home from work which was about 5 hours ago! I guess I'll be wearing dark glasses to work because my eyes will be so swollen (but that is the least of my problems)
Thanks again for your love and support!  I know somehow we were all brought together here for a reason--Peace and Prayers Hon You are an Angel! N.O. Lady AKA Mystere
Again, Peazy and the Mangy Dog(lisabet) pretty much said it all; but you just have to let go off the guilt!!!!
If you only knew some of the dispicable things I'd done to get my next fix.........you've come out looking like Mary Poppins in comparison.  WE ARE ONLY HUMAN, FEEDING "THAT" HUNGER.
I've also got distractions(in the form of a 2 and 4 year old) pulling at my shirt, so if this isn't coherent you know why.
Just know, i'm thinking about cha, and i sincerely hope things  turn out for you....now with that incredible weight off your shoulders!!
Please hang in there New Orleans!!!!

percs
I could not imagine taking 10 pills at one time. After a few I start getting really paranoid. How are things with you now? I had a great day today. I felt alot better than I did this weekend. I was actually able to function at work which consists of walking around all day and many other things. I felt different today, like things were going to change. I made up my mind that this was it for me, that I was going to stay off for good! then i got home.... I had a message from the dr's office. I will get my refill tomorrow...60 pills. I am so lost and confused once again. I know I shouldn't, but I know I will. I think that the worst of my withdrawls is over because what could be worse than the hell I went through?? I don't know what to do.
Yo!!! You need to re-read the top half of your last post!!!  It is so full of hope and motivation and success!!!  You're feeling GOOD, handling your JOB, wanting to KEEP GOING.......SO DO  IT!!!  Please  PLEASE don't pick up that script.  You said yourself : "THE WORST IS OVER"   so WHY GO BACK to that **** hole again??? Sorry for all the caps--I'm not really yelling...LOL  Just trying like hell to get your attention. You have such a fabulous beginning....now instead of aborting that---forge AHEAD and BUILD on it.  Call the pharmacy and tell them to void that RX  so you can get the possibility of refills OUT of your mind.  Think CLEAN.  Think HAVING YOUR LIFE BACK.  You're on your way, buddy (buddess???LOL)  Hand in there........Peaz
Yeah!!    And HANG in there, too..........:-)
Thank you for your support--If you only knew what it means--My husband is barely speaking to me--He says he just can't discuss it (my addiction) right now.  Except for all of you I feel totally abandoned. I made it to work swollen eyes and all.  I have the name of an addiction specialist and I am calling this morning to get an appointment.  I just pray I haven't screwed things up beyond repair.  The guilt and shame is almost unbearable.  Thanks for all your love, support, and prayers--I need all of the help I can get right now--Peace and Prayers to all fighting this horrible disease--N.O. Lady--AKA Mystere

Okay, okay--the guy wants to be a *****? (sorry) then let him be one. Ignore him because you have to focus on YOURSELF and you can't be worrying about  his "issues".  For one thing, if you can get yourself uprighted,  his stance may change accordingly.  Again, THINK OF YOURSELF and do what you need to do to get sober and stay that way.  Sobriety has to be #1 right now, or the rest will just stay unraveled and  NOTHING will change.
   Talk to the additionologist that you mentioned.  Formulate a plan  with his help.  Consider taking some days/a week off work. Throw yourself into this and do WHATEVER it takes.   You're an emotional basket case right now because that's part of withdrawl (withdrawal); not to mention all the other **** going on. So don't be upset that you're upset!!! LOL   if you're not on an antidepressant, I would certainly talk to your addictionologist about getting on one ASAP. Things will improve, gradually. Take teeny tiny steps and be GOOD to yourself. You're making an effort and you are to be commended for that.  Keep posting and let us know how you are.  Love and prayers--peazy
You've worked too hard to give in now.  Your winning a long battle, and the more victories the easier the war gets.  Think of how you feel now, how your head is starting to feel again, how you wake with a clear head, how things feel now compared to using in your life.  It's not easy, that's why we (and you are hear.)

But remember, no matter what, go easy on yourself.  You seem like your going to win, win soon, and keep on winning!  If you do stumble, get back up and fight on.  Most of us here have stumbled, that is part of the battle and why we are all here for encouragement helping all to fight on.  

Praying for you, Nod
It's time to check in w/ Mommy, hon.....Don't make me ground you.....LOL  Seriously, how're you doing today and did you see your doctor?   Please post when you can. Love, Peazy
Thanks for checking on me-Guess when the first appointment is with the addiction doc--June 21! They did say they would put me on a cancellation list. Things are a little better with hubby, but to be quite honest I'm a little angry myself at his totally ***** attitude even though I probably don't have a right to be. He is one of these people that just totally shuts down emotionally whenever there is a problem.  I am going to find an AA/NA meeting tonight in order to find someone to talk to.  I feel so isolated and if it weren't for you and this forum I'm not quite sure what I would do.  Thanks again for caring.  I know I will get through this the question is how scarred up I'm going to be. Thanks again I can't possibly put into words what your support means.  Love-Peace-Prayers-N.O. Lady  AKA Mystere
Thx for posting. I was worried. ~
June 21st??  Is that in this century at least??  I sure hope they get a cancellation.  My God, there must be a lot of addicts out there....Anyway, so now what are your plans?  Are you going to taper or get refills to last you  until your appt. or what?  And how are you doing, emotionally?  I have been thinking a lot about you, and wondering how you're coping w/ your husband's cold shoulder and his reaction in general.  Hope you're okay.  If you found an AA mtg, did that help you and did you find someone to relate to?  
     Remember we are all here for you, and will help you come up w/  some way to maintain during this waiting period.  Please keep posting........and don't be too hard on yourself, Sweets.  The guilt and/or shame is just a bunch of poison that you have to rid yourself of......it will only burden you more. I know that's easy to say, but whenever you start to get down on yourself, remind yourself in the same breath that you're at least  TRYING to deal w/ your problem, and you're doing the best that you can.  And that's all you can do, babe.   No one can berate you for that.  Take care and keep in touch. Love, Peazy
Thank all of you for caring--Hubby is coming around but he just cannot bring himself to sit down with me and discuss this out in the open.  I have a few pills left so I have no choice but to taper because I can guarantee that this will probably be the last narcotic rx that I will see in my lifetime! (My husband went to my docs and told them of my little problem so they will no longer prescribe any narcotics!--I'm so embarrassed and yet relieved at the same time.  How can I make him understand that this was not done to deliberately hurt him? Before hydro hell, I was a kind, gentle, loving, and absolutely trustworthy human being. Never in a million years would I ever consider doing something to hurt this man that I adore--BUT I DID!--When it came to those pills its like an alien entity took over my body and soul and I could justify anything--Oh yes  my plan--well AA is my choice right now to hopefully get some support.  The meeting last night wasn't all that helpful-I think some of the older alcoholics resent us narcotic pill poppers and think we should stick with N/A--I will keep searching for a meeting that I feel comfortable with.  All I can say is that God must have a plan for putting us all through this HELL ON EARTH.--I just wish he would let me in on it!--Thank you all so much for your love and prayers--I can't say it often enough I really don't know what i would do without this wonderful place! Peace and Prayers to all--N.O.Lady AKA Mystere
hello to al of yu out here today. i can so very much relate to you, NO,lady the one with the husband that is a physician. Mine is too! I have made it for 6 years now praise God, But, I sorely remember everything that you just related to ,i went throough with my husband and then some. I would take a book to tell you how it all came down and then to how i got to where I am now. I would like to share with you personally about how things went, I know that they could really help you, and My husband would very much be willing to talk with you husband, when he's ready, He needs someone to talk with too. For us, the BAD" guys(LOL)There is a perfect hope that you probably don't see anyof right now trust this litte 40 year old lady that you can and will survive, If you want to, and it sounds as though you do.If you would like to speak with me, write me back on this forum and we can work something out. We are a gods kids and we are here to help each other out in life, why, just because we want to help others just like us. Hang in ther NOlady, My prayers are with you and respond as soon as you can. also:princess_lori4***@****.
God Bless honey
Hi--I'm on my way to the station, but I will just briefly say: Cleaning yourself up from an all-encompassing addiction is no SMALL FEAT.  What you are doing is HUGE.  So don't think you're nothing but a worthless piece of ****!!  You are attempting to change your life around and you will do it!!  You are STILL the person you once were: loving, loyal, trustworthy--ALL those things.  You have made some bad choices in the last few months/years, whatever---but those bad choices can evolve into WISE ones, and you will be defining yourself anew.   Will you be different?  In a lot of ways, YES.  And thank GOD for that!! The reason you were self-medicating tells you that what you were and who you were wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.....You obviously needed to make some changes--maybe w/ your spouse, or other relationships in general---you will probably discover a lot more about WHY things happened as they did.  But when the fog has lifted you can REALLY begin to deal w/ thouse problems--not just wash them away w/ a handful of pills, only to "wake up" to the same **** after the buzz is gone.  
        Getting sober is the only way to get a life back---ANY life back, and who you are after that is up to you.  it's hard, but ****!!!!  addiction ain't no picnic.......Your husband will come around, especially when he sees the effort you'll be making.  He needs to enroll in Addiction 101, however:   there is nothing an addict does that is "on purpose", except for to feed their ever-expanding habit.  Period.  All the havoc left as a result of that is flotsam and jettison......Incidental to an addict.
   Well!! I'm so glad I kept this "brief".......LOL  Keep in touch--find an NA or AA mtg where there aren't a bunch of red-necked assholes. (Happy Easter!!!)  They're out there, 'cause my home group is a buncha sweeties.....Thinking of ya--peazy
Peaz you are my Guardian Angel

ptcrusin-I would very much like to correspond with you but i am at work right now-I would like to E-mail you from my home computer--thanks so much for your prayers--I know he is hurt right now and feels so betrayed--I just have to take everything one step at a time.  Love, Peace, and Prayers--N.O. Lady AKA Mystere (My nickname from my home computer)--Thanks again to everyone! rodewk/percs/kilo/thomas/chezz/lisabet/ and everyone else who has contributed to this forum.
Just checking in with everyone--Finally last night hubby came around and offered support--and yes just as you all said HE DOES LOVE ME!--I had my last hydro at 4:30 p.m. Sunday and right now so far so good--Does anyone have any info on Rational Recovery by JAck Trimpey?--I purchased his book Saturday and it seems to make a lot of sense--Since I seem to be having problems with AA/NA.
Peazy I hope you had a great EAster!--Please excuse the typing I'm a little shaky but for some reason this time I know I'm going to make it! Thanks mostly to all of you!--Peace & Prayers--
N.O. Lady AKA Mystere
Thank you once again for your response and I had mentioned in a previous thread that things are much better between me and my husband--You are so right about the ingnorance that exists in the medical community regarding this ever growing problem!  My husband was in Orthopedics and he saw his share of drug seekers during his career-It totally frustrated him because he saw it as the druggies taking time away from so-called legitimate patients--Go Figure-They really are not trained in how to deal with and or help the addicted patient.  They are expected to make sure patients are comfortable during their medical ordeal but God Forbid if it looks like you prescribe too many narcotics you have the DEA breathing down your neck--So in my husbands defense a lot of Docs are really caught between a roc and a hard place!
I know in my heart by me having this problem it will help him have a much better understanding of addiction in general-Sorry for posting so much but I'm going on 22 hrs without a pill and i tend to post alot Love, Peace, Prayers, N.O. Lady AKA Mystere
I would very much like to hear your story!
I am a ADDICT. I Take 15 to 20 pills a day I want to get off but I Don't even no where to start can someone help me. my minds not very clear today I've just had 1 pill today but it was a longer acting that I don't usually take but got it off from a friend.
I want to stop but Have no will power.so where do you reccommend I start?
You've posted onto a very old post. Post your question as a new question/post and you'll get some answers.
I've been taking Norco 10/325 for the last 2 1/2 years about 6 pills a day.  I'm trying to get off these...it's been 50 hours and counting.  I feel like ****.  I can't sleep cant' concentrate, can't eat and I'm sneezing all the time.  Can anyone tell me how long these withdrawal symptoms will last????  I'm trying to be strong and not get another refill someone give me hope this won't last forever....

CA Girl
I have been taking Norco for about 3 years only about 4 a day max and have stopped for 3 days now and the withdrawls are kind of subtle.  I am not very hungry but that is kind of standard for me but the worst if the lack of sleep.  I am hot and cold and I can't seem to sleep more that an hour or two at a time.  I am also sneezing a bit.  I also can 't get comfortable in any chair.  Does anyone know how long this all lasts?  The headaches are pretty bad but I just assumed that I have migranes (migraines) and they were choosing to kick in at the same time but I guess they are part of withdrawal too - whopee!  I would appreciate any input from someone who has completely kicked this drug for a few months or years and can give me some help with the sleep problem as it is tough to maintain during the work day.  Thanks, Poway, CA
I am a nurse, i have access to all these pills.
Unfortunately I have gotten addicted and am ashamed to tell anyone.
I take 12-15 norco 10/325 tablets per dose,
I have been taking about 2 doses per day.
How long will this withdrawl (withdrawal) last, i am ashamed of myself
There are no doctors on the addiction forum.. This is a patient to patient forum.. I saw you were writing the post to "any doctor"..  If you would like support or help please post a new question on the main page of the forum.. ( this thread was started in 2003)  most members don't read old threads when they come up so posting a new question or on a post from today will help direct you.
HI there is hope!  I have totally stopped norco for 11 days now and most of the awful systems are gone.  I am able to sleep and have gotten my appetite back and the sneezing is at a minimum.  I still have a little intestinal problem but much less.  Up until yesterday I did not want the pills but now my back is killing me and I want to reach for a pill but I am not and my headaches are killer but I know that life is just going to get much better. So I guess the first week is the worst so just hang in and hold on.  The most important for me has been the support of friends and my husband.  
This won't last forever,  trust me.. my stupid *** has gone through this numerous times because i've always ran out for 2 weeks, then got more..  The worst of it should only last about 4 or 5 days, then mild withdrawal lingerings for a few more days.   I've now been consistantly taking norco for over a year.      it seems like forever but I just kicked it and you couldn't pay me to get back on it.   It's been about 4 days since my last one and while I still feel like ****, it's a LOOOOT better than it was 2 and 3 days ago.    Was only taking 3 norcos a day for about a year.. i know that's not that much but it's enough to get you addicted.. My withdrawals were hell.. the worst part of mine is the nausea and upset stomach.. still going on.. It gets a tiny bit better each day.  I know people who sell these damn norco's and they keep offering me them and i keep turning them down..  You have to think about this withdrawal you are going through right now.  If you can successfully remember to remember it each time you are tempted, it should be a large determining factor in your decision to take more when offered.  It's not worth it people..  When you start feeling better and NORMAL in a week or so, you are going to want to take more.. maybe even just 1 or 2.  I can say from experience "don't do it" that one or two feels SOOOO good after being off it for weeks, that it gets you hooked right away again! and you feel like you need just a few more.. then just a few more after that.. then yur right back where u started.  They say the percentage of quitting on your own without rehab is really slim but I just believe if you keep the right mindset about it, you can quit.. don't reach for that extra one weeks from now.. just remember what yur going through NOW.. you'll end up right back in the same boat.  The reason for feeling like **** and being depressed is because when you take norco or any opiate, yur body stops producing natural opioides like endorphins and what not.  When you quit the norco or opiate that yur taking, your body has nothing to use so you get depressed. you have no "good feelings"   things like exercise and stuff help get yur natural opioides back into your brain.  I've found that taking a daily dose of fish oil or omega 3 supplement reallly really helps in the long run.

sorry for this long post.. this is like the first time i've posted on one of these but I know how it is people... I've been addicted to vicodin, norco and methadone (methadone is HELL x 100000  DO NOT GET HOOKED ON THIS)  sometimes Dr.s will give you methadone to get  you off other drugs.. Don't take it.  it feels SOOOOO good and one dose feels like being on norco all day.. it's dangerous for us opiate lovers..  anyway,  just hang in there.. Don't go back to it.  few weeks from  now, you'll feel like a new person.. and feel like you have your life back again.  Hang in there!!

has anyone else experienced the upset stomach especially in the mornings?  

i know a lot of you all have been taking way more than I have.  15 norco's a day? i can't even imagine..  nevertheless.. consistantcy is the main HOOK.. not necessarily about quantity that gets you addicted.. it's consistancy..  

my best friend currently takes about 15 a day and has been for a while now.. he claims that he won't get withdrawals.  He's only quit for 1 or 2 days at a time and says he never felt anything.  I think it's because he hasn't quit long enough to see.. but he doesn't think he has a problem.  

anyway, just let me know if any of you experience the upset stomach when you are stopping the norco.

thanks
Is it really best to cold turkey? It sounds like hell.  I take 4 1/2 to 6 a day. I always take  1 and 1/2 at a time.  Today I took 3. One at a time.  I thought I would taper.  I did not feel weird like I usually do.  Cold turkey sounds like hell and I have to go to work.  I can not be sick at my job.  I thought I would do 3 a day for 3 more days then 2 a day for 4 days then 1 a day for 3 days (probaby break the one in half) and see how it goes. Has anyone done that.  Will I still have as severe withdrawals? I am scared shitless but VERYdetermined. I have been through alot in my life and when I set my mind on something I am like a pit bull.  I WILL NOT LIVE LIKE THIS ANYMORE!!
I am not downplaying your addiction at ALL, but you are taking a very, very small amount ( compared to most of us) and I have gone cold turkey from 6 a day and it is not nearly as hard as from the higher amounts.

Now, that being said, it is still hell.   I think you should do the taper you wrote out but keep in mind that the wd's could still be very hard so have a prepared plan in case you get sick.

You just never know how bad it will be for you.    Listen, do this now before you end up in an addiction that is much, much higher...............you would be so surprised at how fast you go from taking 6 a day to 20 a day.    It sneaks up on you and you don't even know you are taking that many a day, really.

I applaud your determination and your will.  

I am getting ready to start a taper from 16 but have to wait 10 days to get in to see my pm dr so we can set up a plan, get a new script and he is also going to set me up on some other meds to go along the way.

I am a legit pain patient as well, but unfortunately we still get addicted and can end up taking much, much more of our meds than intended.

Please, let us know how you are doing!

Karen
Thank you for your support. I know my little 6-8 a day does not seem like much, but this has been going on for 2 years and it is my 2nd go round. For me it is a matter of quality of life.  I look at my children and am consumed with guilt.  I went to my Dr. and told him how I felt, moody, edgy, depressed, he gave me a script for oxycontin and oxycodon instead.  I took it to the pharmacy but then called and told them to restock it. I am on day six and feel fine.  I felt a little queasy. sneeze ALOT, was tired, had trouble sleeping, but that was it.  I do love how I feel know. I feel like I have my heart and my mind back.  My emotions are my own again.  However!!!!   My husband broke his back he fell 28 feet off a ladder and broke C5, C6, C7, L3, L4, L5, S1, so needless to say it is going to take sheer will and love, love of myself and my family to stay on track.  I have come to far and have to much I still want to do to give up now. Best of luck to you and thanks again, I will be checking in. I am not above anything.  I have been addicted before I know all about this dance.
I don't know whats current and whats old here, cuz I should be in bed.   That said, I just faced the w/d demon on Norco, voluntarity a few weeks ago, and it was really not too back.  I did it back in 2001 and it was much worse, but it was because my doc put me on oxycontin for 1 1/2 months to come off the hydro...BAD idea......The w/s lasted month, weeks with no sleep, which was the worst part.  A few weeks ago, with a better mental frame of mind, it went rather well....I had decided that the anticipation of the w/ds were a very big part of the pain, frankly most of it.  Well I decided to NOT be afraid, and just stopped taking them for a couple-three days.  I took a few more Xanax than usual because I usually take them just to sleep.   I felt like ****, and was very anxious, but no runs, no fever, no all over body aches.  My normal chronic pain of course did not go away as it would not go awwy if I were to quit permanently......I am afraid that my CP is with me to stay or at least for some time longer.  It comes from a variety of sources, none of which surgery would help.  Frankly part of my CP is nerve damage from some hand surgery in 2005, still bothering me when it feels like it.   Inflammation in my joints between the sternum and the rib cage, called chostalconditis, enhanced by stress and lack of sleep both of which increase incrementally as time goes on.   That and some abdominal pain from HepC........To sum it up, I generally hurt like hell and the Norco helps me deal with life.   I need "some" kind of sense of well being somtimes to survive.  I've seen it posted that its too bad that scientists can't think of some way to use the poppy plant to manufacture the Anti Depressants.  I mean ****, we know that they work and do a hell of a lot better job than the ADs do.....They've been around for centuries.   The reason the scientists don't use them is the stigma put on the use of opium frankly because of 'racisism".......Pot was made illegal when too many black musicians bought into it in the 20s....Then opium went the same route, and became illegal when black musicians again used it to feel better, not hurt and have that sense of well being.   The fact that most drugs are illegal because of racisism S U C K S...... I don't really care who agrees with me or not, but there is no damn reason that the poppy plant should not be used to make ADs.   Tell me that pain meds made from TheBaine are more harmfull to my body than prozac, cymbalta, zoloft, etc, etc, etc.  Why can't they just put some agonist in the med that helps with the addictive properties.   We all already know that the poppy plant is Gods gift to the sense of well being.     All the big pharma companies are searching for the blue happy pill for the morning, the red energy pill for lunch and the pink pain pill to stop from hurting.  If I am going to be guinea pig for ADs I would hell of lot more rather try some opium based ADs that I know will work, instead of some s h i t AD pill that takes two months to balance my d a m n Seratonin...

Too abrupt for you?  Well sorry, I am getting my self esteem back and I don't care, so I won't aplogize for being honest.   Think about it.  Why not use what works??????  Sertainly science is smart enough to use the poppy plant in good and positive ways that don't stilulate addiction, but still provide that sense of well being.  Why not?  Is it still because of Racisism?  If you don't believe me, watch the history channel sometimes.   Albert Hoffman in 1948 invented LSD to create the super soldier...It because illegal when the masses in the Vietnam years started telling the truth about the war in Nam... The govt blamed the drugs........NOT it was the ****** war.  Our military did experiments in Vietnam with LSD that ended up with our own divisions of troops killing each other, because the doses were too high.  I am NOT advocating LSD in any way.  What I am saying is why the hell does the govt just let the scientists use the plants that do the most good, whether its poppy plants or hemp.  The govt also grew pot to make Hemp rope for WWI and WWII......

Do I sound crazy...Maybe but how crazy is the govt for stopping the production of potentially helpful drugs because of racisism............

My 2 cents and it is certainly debatable.Tell me I'm wrong but tell me why.
I am not apologizing for the above rant .  I am very sleepy, but much of this is very true and makes more sense than most folks will agree with....I will probably lose any respect that I might have for these off the wall thoughts, but I have already lost respect for a govt that uses fear and racisism to make certain drugs illegal......What does anyone else think about some of this.  Am I just full of **** or do I make some thought stimulating points....Pain pills are bad...Well sure they are the way they are manufacured now and the way the stigma is associated with them....Are you telling me that science is not smart enought to use the poppy plant in positive ways to manufacure meds that do great things, without addictive properties.   Suboxone has agonists in them which prevent other drugs from affecting our opiate receptors.  Why cant some decent, not so strong pain meds be designed to help folks with legal prescriptions, but yet don't addict us.   The answer is THEY CAN,  if the govt woudl allow the research to do this properly.  Please don't think that I advocate the use of strong pain meds the way they are manufactured now, becase I don't think that.  What I do think is why can't some of these genius level scientists use the poppy plant to make a range of pain pills that work effectively at legally prescribed doses, without addictive properties.    They can, if they would be allowed to.......OK, now I have my head covered so start throwing the rocks at me now.  The truth is the possibilities are limitless, if the rules would allow the scientist to explore them........Am I crazy as hell or do I make any sense at all.   Are we going to keep the same laws prohibiting the study and manufacture of certain meds from certain plants, because of archaic, outdated, rules?    
If you decide to delete these two posts I will undersand.   I just had to get some of this off my chest.  I will probably get blasted for these posts, but I truly mean no harm  I am as avidly againt the present system of manufactured pain meds and illicit drugs as anyone here.  I am however just as avidly supportive of good science and think that predjudice, bias, and negative history does not mean that we can't do research on chemicals that we already know work.....They just need some new and positive science applied to them to make them work well and fit society.    What a blessing the poppy plant is for folks in surgery, or soldiers, that have been shot, or folks who suffer from serious chronic pain......Why can't some of the smartest people in the world expand this blessing to help more folks?  Thanks for the platform...Delete it if you feel you must.  I am NOT advocating anything illegal only the study and research of an already well known and successful product for a broader use for more regular folks.  All anyone has to do to see whether I am right about why some of these drugs are illegal at all is watch the history channel or do a few google searchs.       Sorry if I want off the deep end, but these are some valid points.
can I kick your soap box out from under you now?  just kidding, you actually are making perfect sense.  Good questions.
Just found this forum and man it feels good to see I'm not alone. Been taking between 4-6 either Norco or Vicodin a day for like 4 years and I'm tired of the "neediness" and the money I've blown. As many of you I started on it for an injury and it's just become an addiction. I honestly think it's more mental than physical because over the years I've never upped my dosage. It's just the routine of taking them at certain times that has me in a rut. Plus the fear of withdrawl (withdrawal)...At this point I can't honestly tell you guys I'm off of them but I've thought about it more and more in the last few weeks than I ever have.
Soap box has been dismanttled.  Sorry for the ramble, like I said, I was very sleepy.  See what happens when I can't sleep.  Still, watch the History channel, do the research, see when and why these things were made illegal.  None of these silly thoughts are going to make me act any differently, any less responsibly or break any laws....I won't watch the History channnel today for my punishment.    
I didn't think you were rambling out of nonsense at all..................it all makes perfect sense to me.

As a person who has been in pshych treatment for 15 years,  I get where you are coming from 100%.   Do you know how many horrible side effects I have endured over the years while my dr "tries" meds on me to try and fix my crippling anxiety?????     The effects of these horrible meds are not only horrible but they also never work and I have had to endure a living hell for 2 or 3 months while waiting for it to get in my system good to see if the side effects go away and the anxiety is alleviated.    

The ONLY medication that 100% alleviates my anxiety is xanax, pure and simple, but I had to undergo a dozen or so medications, living in hell each time to "prove" that the xanax was the best course of treatment.  

To me it is the same thing as the pain meds.    Why attach such a stigma to a pill when it in fact gives someone total control of their lives?   Before I got on a xanax regimen and my trazadone for sleep, I had become a full blown agoraphobic and it took 2 years of my life away.    

And yes, Norco does and did have an anti-d effect on me, it sure does.    There is no denying that, heck, if it weren't so, none of us would be addicted to it, it is that warm, good, fuzzy feeling that makes you want it, crave it and take more and more of it............

So slide, scoot on over on that soap box cause I am right there with ya!

Karen
Well thanks.  I just want to be very clear that I in no way condone any illegal use of anything.  I just simply can't see why the brilliant MENSA level scientist in this world can't find a better use for the poppy plant which has been around for thousands of years....Re-design them to keep the sense of well being and pain relief in them, but take out the addictive properties.....Is it because its not technically possible........?  NO...If anyone knows the technical reasons why not, please tell me.  I'm not that smart, but I'll try to keep up...The reason is that the pharma companies won't fund the research and the reason for that is that the govt won't let them.  Why?    You tell me.
I use Xanax by prescription but only for sleep.....1 or 2 ea. .5s.  My doc says if you keep the quantities down the addiction stays at bay.
It has been about a week of being off the norco(taking about 12 daily) And still cannot sleep..... The depression is over.. I try to take sleeping pills but my head is sleepy but my body is not.  I have been thrashing side to side nightly which is more exhausing than being up!!!
I want to be off no meds.....Live naturally with a clear head in the morning..
After reading all the comments I wonder where everyone got their meds so easily. I did mail order which was expensive and  was getting harder to fill..I am glad... I did have one doctor prescribing the norco.  I thought about going back to him to see if there was anything he could do to make it easier but I dont want to take any more pills!! I can't believe my liver is still ok after all the years of neglect!!!
I like myself better off the pills and want to stay off....
Good Luck to all.
i think 'cold turkey' is unnecessary and can be dangerous...maybe good for some but not for all especially as one ages...the 'addicts' all or nothing behavior need not be applied to coming off meds...i have a theory completely unsubstantiated by anything but here goes: if one cold turkeys coming off meds 'all or nothing', 'this or that', 'black or white', immediate and complete withdrawal then if they 'pick up' , 'resume again' (which there's great likelihood of maybe not next year or the next but sooner or later, if triggered they may pick up) they'll likely resume with a bang with both barrels a blazing whereas if they withdraw 'incrementally' , 'little by little' , as my friend did from Methadone which is so hard to come off of, maybe the hardest of all, then if the person returns to the medicine(s) they'll do so in smaller, little by little steps thus having time to decide if they want to quit and they're chances of quitting will be greater and easier...regardless, as one ages going 'cold turkey' taxes the body needlessly and dangerously and irreversibly...as my doctor put it "there are a lot easier ways"...this 'theory' of mine as no basis that i know of in fact or do i know anyone who has told me they've done it but i ran it by a friend well versed in drug taking and she said it sounded right to her...again, regardless, going 'cold turkey' may be the way to go for those 'all or nothing' folks but i consider it needless and dangerous...especially as one gets older...remember nobody on here is a doctor...consulting with a doctor is the way to go...oh, last night i no way could sleep after taking 8.75mgs of Norco...2 hours awake no sleep but , wow , i was as comfortable as a person could be...then, i thought while the Norco lingered, take a 10mg Valium...so, i took one and slept for 5 hours deep deep sleep first time in years...now, i'm going to play with alternating nights of Valium no Valium as i lessen lessen Norco but i don't intend to entirely allow Norco to leave my system and won't go into why now...anyhow, a doctor's consult is always the way to go...also, may be a good idea for those sharing to give their ages...i think it's entirely unsmart to cold turkey with age...if one thinks they must do that then do that...it's such 'addictive behavior' to self sabotage and self punish oneself that cold turkey fits right into that masochistic scheme and may work for some for awhile...that's about it...nice forum but we ain't docs...we're sharing supportively but my take is no gold stars from me for cold turkey to punish oneself to see how tough they are...thanks
As you say, no one is a doctor on this website..In response to your opinion on quitting "cold turkey" to get gold stars..I am a 52 yr old woman.  I decided to quit cold turkey and have been off for a month and feel "great".  It was my choice to go that route.  I quit cold turkey off cigarettes 11 yrs ago and have not gone back smoking.
The willpower and desire is what keeps you off the meds or any other addictive behavior..  Not how you got off them .
Your choice to ween off is yours..Whatever works.
Dude!!! You're back!! The wayward son returns!!! Bloody sword in one hand, bag slung on shoulder with the severed heads of fallen enemies!!! :)

Welcome back mate, I figured I'd see you around eventually. Kismat, and all that, right right?
In my experience, different people have different physiological "roadmaps" which may make it possible for you to go cold-turkey and others not.  It is not completely about "will power".  It is absolutely necessary for some to utilize a tapering program of some sort to even contemplate getting off.  I sense an undertone of judgment in your discourse and therefore feel the need to chime in for my brothers & sisters who are fighting this problem with their lives.  For some, the withdrawals are so incomprehensibly painful that they are completely unable to endure the pain and get through the nights with any sleep whatsoever.  The crawling legs, the tossing and turning, the mental anguish and the sleep deprivation absolutely and completely prohibit them from even considering leaving their beds for one moment until the pain finally subsides (days later).  For most of us, there not only needs to be a program but we need a lot of support and help as well.  To consider going to work or to take care of children while they are going through this extremely difficult period is utterly impossible without a program and assistance.

Let's please try to have a little compassion here.      
i agree wholeheartedly..we're all different and what works for one may, or may not, work for others..i ran by a 'theory' completely unsubstantiated by anything i can find but she said she thinks there may be merit to it and she's been around the 'block'...goes like this: tapering off successfully done may result in 'if a person goes back to the deal they will taper back in increments whereas if one goes with that addictive personality of 'all or nothing at all' and goes 'cold turkey' if they return to 'using' they'll do so with gusto, bing bang bong...just a thought...but, compassion is where it's at...one thing i do know...i'm 65...and getting old...for me and most my age 'cold turkey' is silly and dangerous...if one wants to go that route to each there own...as far as 'will power' ... that's a philosophical deal ... as for myself and many an addict i know that have discontinued cigarettes, heroine, methadone, alcohol , and you name it , they'd say 'will power' had nothing to do with it...when i quit cigarettes over 35 years ago i did so with the help of pride, competing with a neighbor and friend who was a chain Camel smoker and quit cold turkey and i had all the weed one could have at one disposal to substitute...prior to that time every time i had a joint i 'had' to have a cigarette but i made a commitment to not have a cigarette and i grabbed a joint all the time...it worked for me for 35 years now...i'd probably now way smoke cigarettes again...they kill more than all drugs combined along with all auto accidents, all murders, all suicides and you'll find their history on most hospital entries...they're a pistol to quit...congratulations for stopping them...some go back and some don't...one thing i do know...if cigarettes were doing to a person's face what they are doing to their lungs 99% of the people smoking them would stop and never smoke again...but, sad to say, the person doesn't see the carbon, puss, bleeding which is taking place with each puff...but , it were on their face that would be different...addiction, doing what i want to do repeatedly to the exclusion of wholeness, is a trip to deal with and each treats it differently...it's great to share but judgementalness is a joke...placing my way or my values on anyone else doesn't fly...for , at least 9 years i've been on Baclofen, Flexeril, Vicodin, Norco, Valium, Artane, Nortriptyline, Lyrica , Zanaflex and others doing about 400 mgs of them combo...presently i'm averaging .5mgs of Norco per day and about 24mgs total of stuff...to each their own...in fact i'll tell you something rather weird and i don't say this in any way to be prideful...it's just my history...from my playing with addictions, dealing with them over many years my history seems the 'opposite' of what so many say..."don't go in slippery situations"...every single substance or action or behavior i've been 'stuck in' i've became unstuck only by having that thing all around me or being amongst the so called 'temptation'...in other words the opposite of avoiding...with all of them including food, sex, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs i've had the stuff all around me, been steeped in it, handled it for others but, for me, i just became no longer into it...now, i now way, NO WAY, suggest , advice or set myself up as a person go follow...i mention it only to point out we're all different and what works for one person may not work for another...if anything i'd suggest a person not do that...i never intentionally set out to make myself be among all the stuff but i just look back at my history and each time that's what happened...e.g. when i came off alcohol i was delivering moonshine to a friend, helping run a gambling hall where i was surrounded by every kind of thing you can imagine including lots of guns, drugs, money, women etc. ... again, i don't mention this in pride but mention it only because i know thousands of 'addicts' and i know each is different and i try my darndest not to judge them...i'm no better or worse than anyone else regardless of whether they use...in fact i prefer many who do 'use' to those who 'don't' ... whelp, enough of that...i wish all the best and happy Holidays
I was taking Norco 10's for 3 years. I have been clean for 11 days. I gradually cut down to taking just 4 a day for the last week before I quit. I know everybody says it depends on the person how long withdrawals will last, but I'm looking for a response on how long (in days) the withdrawals lasted. I have been taking Benadryl (for yawning, runny nose & eyes), tylenol, ibuprofin, vitamins, B12, xanax for anxiety & Lexapro for depression. The withdrawals are better now then they were a week ago, definately, but I still have them. I also have had a burning feeling in my face & arms for about the last 3 days. I don't have enough energy to hardly move & the all over aching body pain. Anybody...help?  
This is an old post. Try copying yours to a new one.
This is an old post - you should post a new post (go back to the forum and click new post).  That way you will get the answers you need.

I know most people (and for me last time) 5 days and it is usually better, with day 3 being the worst.  Tapering should make the WD's better (from my experience).  But everyone is different!
I've been taking Norco for 5 months for a back injurie.  I've had steroid shots and do PT 2 twice a week.  6days ago I wanted to stop taking them because they weren't helping and my body felt dependent on them.  I was taking 3 to 4 a day 3/325 mg I think.  I no longer have the bottel my husband has been my rock.  When we realized I had a problem he said call the DR. and ask what would be the best thing to do.  She said to take lower and lower dosage each day.  I take 1/2 in the afternoon and am trying to not take the 1 /2 at night.  I wake up after a bad nights sleep with my heart beating fast and loose bowel movements.  Can anyone tell me how much long this will last.  I can deal with the stomach thing but the racing heart makes me nervous.  Any help would be great.    
post a new question as this is an old post...4-5 days for most and they are feeling considerably better
ihave taking norco for 5 years now 10/325 10pt a day i quit for a week
and i come back to it i am willing to try to quit for shor now it is hard
but god help us all
i can only share my experience..i was taking about 40mgs of Norco for years..decided to quit...i'm 64 and 'gold turkey' is dangerous, silly, not healthy but some got to do it that way..here's what i did over 3 months...may take longer or not so long depending on age and whatever...i take 10 mgs four time per day..then 5 mgs 8 times a day (which my Dr. says is better to do)...then i make my 10 mgs into 7.5 mgs or my 10 mgs into 8.75 mgs by slicing the pills..then i make my 7.5 mgs into 5 mgs. or 6.25 mgs...then i make my 5 mgs into 3.75 mgs...3.75 mgs into 2.5 mgs...2.5 mgs Norco into 1.2 mgs Norco..at this point i started cutting slices of 1.25 mgs Norco but discovered around bedtime .63 mgs Vicodin , which is a larger pill easier to slice , worked as good as 1.25 Norco...also .63 mgs of Vicodin has 63 mgs of Acetominophen in it which helps me to sleep , relieves pains and neck spasms...whereas 1.25 mgs of Norco has 20 mgs of Acetominophen and .63 Vicodin (an almost impossible slice to cut) would be only 10 mgs of Acetominophen...that's how i did it over 3 months...i keep in mind if i 'slip' and take more one day or whenever i don't 'give in' to the urge to go binge out on the meds...i just don't feel guilt, shame or remorse and continue on with where i left off getting back to my cutting down routine...i was taking about 250 mgs of Norco per week and now i take between 10 mgs - 45 mgs week...unless i find myself going back to it i'll be happy with  from .63 mgs to 7 mgs. of the Hydrocodone per day...i like Norco and , presently , have to intentions of quitting entirely...now, for sme people (what others called 'addicts' or they call themselve 'addicts') doing the way i do would be not the way to go...to each their own...i'm just sharing the way i do it by cutting back very gradually making a larger dose a wee bit smaller...i didn't experience any headaches...what i felt was a little 'punk' , 'out of sorts' bodily...i felt a discomfort that i could handle in my feet and calves...it's my understanding that after 7 weeks any 'addiction' can be stopped as far as the body is concerned...but, the mental is the big bring me downer...i've known a lot of people who dumped nicotine for weeks, months, years and 'picked up' again and that's because their heads, not bodies, told them to...of course the head effects the body but you know what i mean....peace love joy and play, eh ... john
sorry for little errors like 'whereas .63 vicodin would be impossible to slice when i mean .63 Norco...i trust you can figure those little grammatical things out...thanks
may be worth mentioning a few incidentals and remember i ain't no doctor, just another humanoid sharing their ongoing trip: with the lessening of Norco / Vicodin came less anger, clearer head, more co-ordination, more saliva (used to have dryer mouth and nose and now when i use my battery tooth brush i got to watch it or spit flies), peristalsis returned (all the body's vessels start moving things along better like blood, food, lymph, urine etc)....1 mg or 2 mgs of Zanaflex makes for good sleep ... i wouldn't take Klonipin (klonopin) just because of what a couple friends who've taken it have said ... i'm allowed 18 mgs of Zanaflex per day but try to keep it below 4 mgs..my doctor, off the cuff , once said 'Zanaflex' is a lousy drug ... he must've been 'in a mood' , eh .. also, i may take 2.5 mgs of Valium once or twice per month which gives excellent sleep but seems Zanaflex, for me, does as well...my doctor prescribed 30 mgs of Valium but i'm leary of it so i don't take it much even though the World Health Organization has it on its list of primary drugs every country should have on hand should there be a national disaster...weird, the Feds won't cover it on any drug plan...but, i suppose, because people got carried away with it in the 50's...again, off the cuff , my doctor said 'Valium creates what it is suppose to get rid of'...again, maybe a mood, eh...he thought i needed it for my neck spasms which it helps alleviate but i'm still hot hep on Valium...but, for those who won't get hooked on it Valium is excellent for coming off Hydrocodone, giving a nice sleep, reducing spasms, leveling out...and , for me , Valium is a piece of cake to stop compared to Narcotics...sleep is funny...to my surprise i found to the degree i took Hydrocodone to that degree i had less sleep, the more i took the less i slept...and i assumed it would be the other way around but nope not for me...i'd get up sometimes 6 times per 10-12 hours of 'sleep'...as i cut narcotic i slept better and longer catching dreams every night as i still do...i've written dreams in my journal , every day , for 31 years...sleep is extremely important..REM sleep and deeper sleep...but i don't want to take Klonopin or any medications just for that...as i say, 1-2 mgs of Zanaflex and within 45 minutes i get 3-4 hours of nice sleep, sometimes longer...if i don't drink water before bed then i get longer periods...uninterrupted sleep is a wonderland of healing...the more narcotic the less sleep..the less narcotic the more and better the sleep with increased saliva and all body fluids circulating in a healthy way with good peristalsis...so for me, sleep comes with 1-2 mgs Zanaflex (oh, which by the way , is nothing to quit if i wished) and maybe 2.5 mgs Valium once or twice per month...i accentuate just chipping away at it while keeping the faith and self acceptance alive...'failing isn't when i slip, fall or binge...failing is when i don't get up after the fall'...failing isn't even the right word...maybe 'not succeeding' would be more to the point...i write myself a blank check of self forgiveness at the beginning and end of each day as i try to keep enough spirituality, self acceptance in ''mind', to cover it...john
Nice post. I to do not want to quit the Norco. I only take 1 10mg in the evening. Been doing that for 3 years now at least. Its great for sleep. I am addicted in the evening only. The days I take none (Usually sat.) is a little unnerving, but I do not take any that day just to know I can get by w/o it.

God I feel for all you on the higher doses. What I take is bad enough. I think the reason Im able to control my usage is due to all the exercising Ive done most all my life. I think it keeps the endorphins naturally coming instead of being artificially produced. Good luck to you and congrats on cutting back your intake.

jont
I too am going through this hell of withdrawals. I was searching the web for any info about this and I found you.
Norco, vicodin and somas have been a way of life for me for 8 years now. I had a back injury in which I did have surgery but I still have pain. I took the day off work because I hurt so bad. I was thinking about going back to the dr today but I'm trying not to. My legs hurt, my joints, I keep having upset stomach, headaches. I do think the worst is the  pain shooting down my legs into my feet. I am making myself get up and walk but it's really hard.
I take Norco 10/325... Somas 350 and Vicodin 7.5/750. I go through about  an average of 250 norco a month.
I stopped the somas 2 days ago. I had my last vicodin yesterday in the morning. I haven't had a Norco for 3 days.
I want one so bad to get me out of this feeling so I can get up and feel normal. At least while I'm on them I walk and funtion. When I get off ( start trying at least) I suffer severe pain. Please tell me this will go away and life will be normal again.
OK I have been taking norco's everyday for at least 3 months.  I know it doesnt seem that long but I am freaking out right now.  I havent taken them for 11 days now and the withdrawals are still here (I think). The first 3 days were just pure torture.  The 3rd day I was ready to commit suicide...not really but damn it was bad.  I was so achy and throwing up and in the bathroom over and over again.  Well today I am a little achey (achy) but very dizzy and feel like I am going to pass out.  I hate that feeling so much.  I suffered from really bad anxiety about 6 months ago and that feeling is so back!!!  I cant handle it!  I went cold turkey which I hear isnt good.  But I thoght after 11 days I would be OK already.....  well what the hell????  This achey (achy) feeling I have going on in my legs makes me want to punch people.  Is this normal??  I am freaking out          
for about three months I've been taking 3 5/500mg of vicodin recently I reduced my dose to 2.5mg 3 times a day, i don't think i'm addicted but i need to know if its safe to quit cold turkey now that I'm not taking so many.  I'm worried about the withdrawals and how long they will last.  I have slipped discs and sciatica, it hurts and the vicodin does help the pain I don't take them for the high nor do I get one.  Just checking to see how traumatic its going to be.   Will i even have any withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  My doctor recently put me on cymbalta, I'm afraid to mix the two - I checked for drug interacdtions and there aren't any, I wonder if that will help with the aches too!  Thanks for any advice u guys can give me
Its been almost 3 days since I've taken a norco.  I have been taking them for 2 years.  At first 5-10mg a day did the trick but it got to a point where 60-70mg was honestly barely enough for pain, both emotional and physical.  These symptoms of w/d are the worst!  How much longer are my legs going to feel like someone elses?  Crying fits.....this really sucks.
you are going to be OK!!!  I didnt take them for 2 years but i think the withdrawals are the same. The whole leg thing you have going on right now will pass.  I hated that feeling more than anything.  it's been exactly 4 weeks today since I've taken a pill and I am now officailly over it!  I can honestly say I will NEVER take one again.  It's so weird to see how normal I am.  I was high everyday for 3 or 4 months off of norco's and man did I love the high, but nothing is better than a actually feeling like yourself!        
Hi, I'm Brian.  I've been taking 8 Norco's a day for a while now, and have run out of them on the 12th.  I'm still dealing with having non-restful sleep, here it is the 21st.  Has anyone else experienced this?  
I have been taking Norco 10/325 for almost 2 years now about 6-8 a day. I tried weening but could not get under 4 without having the pain,sweats and sleeplessness and the wiggles. so over the memorial weekend I quit cold turkey. My dr cut me off and he knew I was going to do this and was very supportive. so it was a good thing he did or I would still be taking them. I felt like hell the first 2 days. got a little better on the 3rd. the fourth day I actually went to the grocery store and sweated like a pig the whole time I was there. When I got in my car I felt like my motor skills were off and thought maybe I shouldnt be driving. Today is the 5th day. I have only been averaging a couple hours sleep a nite. I have tried soma, ambien, flexeril, and zanax. I feel sleepy but cant sleep! Still have no appitite, bad back pain( the reason I started taking the pills)sweats and cannot get comfortable at night to sleep. The only thing that seems to help me is soaking in the hottest bath I can stand 2-3 times a day. But menatally I am so happy I did not cave in and go to urgent care for pills. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and every day I feel a little stronger and better. Still get out of breath and really fatigued but Im pushing myself to get better. I have to. Good luck to everyone and I hope this motivates someone in a positive way. I know it helped me reading these entries, I cried my eyes out every day from all of your stories. Thanks and god bless!
hell yea I am going through it right now.... can't sleep, cranky as all hell, everything unnerves me, sweats- especially at night, leg cramps, and the shakes. I am on day 4. Last time I came off my meds it took months to get right again and then about a year ago I hurt my back lifting and have been on one form or another of codeine ever since. I am hating it right now but I know the physical part ends in a week or so. it is the emotional part that I'm not looking forward to.
Hi everyone,
This will be the first time I have ever publicly admited i have a problem. I am 30 yrs old and have been taking opiats since i was 21. From the age of 21-24 I took oxy's here and there for the high, probably at the most 3 5mg tabs a day, i didn't have a bad habit until 4 years ago it just so happens my lung collapsed and I ended up with permanent nerve damage from  the chest tube. My doc put me on norco 10/325. I am up to 15 tabs a day now and take 3 tabs each dose and that barely does it for me anymore. I want to quit so bad but i am worried that the neurontin i also take won't be enough to keep the pain at bay. I am really scared of the withdrawls from quitting and if i have enough willpower to give them up, i love the "high" and without them I get extremely depressed/sick. If I quit cold turkey how long until you feel "normal" again?

Thanks for listening,
Sindora
I forgot to mention that i have been taking the 15 tabs a day for 4 years of the norco 10/325.

Sindora
I've been using norco's and soma together for the last 4 years everyday.  I started taking 2 of each togeher, and now am up to 6 to 7 per day.  I have been very sick for the last 72 hours and could not figure what was wrong with me until reading this site.  My back starting aching the first night, and starting losing my love for food.  The next day I was very moody, not hungry, and couldn't even sleep with Ambians.  Yesterday I developed diaharea, and just very tired, and upset at the world.  I guess I know what's wrong with me now.  

What is the long term affects if I keep using?

I've also been sneezing tons and coughing. I have a batch on the way, but now I'm scared to use them.  I'm feeling better now as the day is going on.  Hopefully, I wlll be able to sleep better.  I don't want to relive the past three days again.  I don't want to be the messed up people on intervention.

I'm on my second day of withdrawal from about a 6 year Norco habit.  I originally got the drugs to help with my severe TMJ.  At the worst points, I would take 6 tablets a day, but for the most part of the last 2 years, took an average of 4 pills a day tapering down to 2 pills per day before I ran out of my last script.  It would be easy enough to call in to my doctor to get it refilled, but I hate the feeling of having to take a pill every couple hours just to feel "normal"  I can't even remember the last time I really got high off them.  I've called in sick the last two days, and if I have to will call in a third, but I'm hoping that I'm going through the worst of it right now and in just a day or two, I'll feel so much better.  I have one pill left and I haven't taken it because I don't want to start the cycle of withdrawal over again, but it's hard knowing that taking that one pill will make these syptoms (symptoms) go away for at least a little while and give me some relief.  Hot flashes, cold sweats, body aches and when I do try to eat something, my stomach cramps followed by about 20 minute bathroom break.  If I just stick this out, will it be okay in a day?  Will taking the last pill make me start the withdrawal process all over again.  I seriously want off these.  My fiance and I are going to try and start a family and I can't be dependant on Norco while I'm pregnant.  But I'm not yet, right now, I'm just miserably going through withdrawals.  He's very supportive, but thinks all I need is a brisk walk to feel better.  Any advice?  How much longer does the outright suffering last?
I have a script for Norco and am currently going through withdrawals.  I can't sleep, I ache, my back/neck pain has gotten worse, the Norcos don't work anymore.  I'm tired, but I can't sleep.  I toss and turn.  I feel like my life is a mess and is falling apart.  I see my doctor today and I know he is going to give me another script.  What should I do?  I am up to 12 a day.
This is an old thread, try re-posting it.  use the green button at the top of the screen.  I don't have much experience with norcos, but someone will be able to help you.  good luck!!
hi..im new to this..i have been taking oxycodone and 10 mg vicodine for about 5 months and i keep trying to get off i go off for like 3 days and go right back somebody please help..i have a 3 year old and i feel like im not paying him any attention when im on then and when i stop i play with him so much..how do i stay away from then everybody always asks me to get them for them wht do i say..and im on day 3 today and i think i feel ok..accept at night..is it gonna get better from here..i still feel tired and i have a headache..but how long will it last and..will i even feel normal again last time i got ooff of them i did see i big dif but hwat do i do to stop the craving??i think its more of i wantt hhis feling to go away..but my whole thing with my son really bothers me a lot:(but when will this end..please helpi dont wann atke these things anymore,,and i owe someone money and i told her i would get her pills for it cuz if i get her the pills ill save a alot of instaed of giving  her her money back..should i explain my situation to her..i need help please tell me and help me to stay off theses things,please please
summer
u can email me at ***@**** u would like
rican224 aol
hi summer, this is a very old thread, you wont get many responses.  go to the top of the page click  post a question and copy and paste your entry there.  it really does get better.
can u help me it wont let me do anything i tried
HEY summer..it is posting your question.  it has posted 3 times.  medhelp will probably delete the second and third times.  we have responded to the original post.
from Johnny Carelton...i haven't been here since March and i'm still doing ok on my 30-40mgs of Norco etc. for years...to each there own...this forum was started looks like April 13, 2003...i was just sitting here reading all of you guys and got a smile on my face because none of us are experts or professionals and even if we were when it comes to 'drug addiction' we're equal, leveled out, 'one'...i started smiling because of what a loving community of people strugglinig and sharing together...some are just nailed, hurting like crazy, others are less so and some not at all...all kinds of stages and people sharing...it's great...one thing made me sit up and notice because i wondered if anyone had the 'symptom' or 'side effect' which is those darn feet, ankle, lower and middle and upper calf sensations that aren't pleasant..i guess most of us do...ya know, when i went from higher doses of Norco gradually cutting down to where i like it now around 2.5mgs - 7.5mgs per day i did so using my calves as an indicator of when to take my next pill...i gradually lessend my dosage making a 10mg , a 7.50 mg or 8.75mg until i got it down to where i am now...here's the thing for me...i 'listen' to my calves...when they ache i ask myself 'do i want to take a dose now?' ... then i may or may not ... and this is important for me ... there's hours during a day when suddenly i'll realize, wait a minute, i haven't taken any Norco in awhile, i'm supposed to want to take some every 2 hours but it's been 3 hours...that kind of thing...i've learned to 'stretch' those opportunities out...i don't have to take Norco by a 'time schedule' but by a 'calf' schedule so to speak...and , gradually , the calves tell me in longer seperated periods...ok, now why i smiled...since i posted in March i've noticed some people asking for 'help' and i'm sure if you read 'all these' posts you will find your ANSWERS...my suggestions may not fit you and seem off the wall, another's may be exactly what you need to hear, or you may fine one thing from 'todd247' and another thing from 'naturalhigh' etc. and can use what you need and 'leave the rest'...this is a great community if taken in it's totality can give you what you need to relieve your suffering...stop the suffering you've had enough...now, a point 'todd247' mentioned on March 4, 2008 i think is so important...he sounds a little like me in the sense i easily go 12-18 hours a day with no Norco and i do enjoy what amount i now take and that's just me and i suggest nobody do what i do...do what's best for you...quit cold turkey, go gradual, never use again, use a little, whatever is your life's need...but, 'todd247' got me to thinking...i had polio as a kid and it left me with a weak leg that's getting progressively weaker and bla bla bla..i place a moderate degree of importance on stretching in the morning, keeping trim, lean, took up golf recently play once every two weeks, do Asana Breath of Fire and Sun Salutation each morning, eat pretty darn well, take Super Complex B vitamins, fish oil and bla bla bla...'todd247's point about maybe being physically fit and athletic all his life has helped him and exercise and 'endorphins'...RIGHT ON TODD247...that's a super excellent point...there are 'endorphins' i learned about in nursing school...called 'enkyphalines' or some darn thing but, anyhow, they're 50-100 times more potent than morphine...exercise, eating wholesomely, sleep and sex will kick off endorphins which help kill pain and the craving for narcotics...i think 'todd247's contribution , even though much shorter than mine , is more valuable...it's incredibly important...what he's talking about can change a person's 'attitude' and this will change them physically also..they work together...in other words, or in addition, if i can find some form of 'pleasure', 'interest', 'focus', 'enjoyment', 'activity', 'occupation' in my day to day living this will help me de-focus, de-emphasis, lessen my desire for drugs as my desire for those other things that bring me pleasure are engaged...this seems insignificant but it's not: e.g. an eyedropper of espresso with chocolate soy milk and plain soy milk in a 4 oz. shot glass a few times a day, movies i'm addicted to, intense conversation, even letting go with inappropriate anger but coming back to center, remembering that i've been diagnosed 'bipolar' so give myself a break (even if not diagnosed bipolar give yourself a break)...for me i say to myself until i get it in my GUT, 'THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH ME'...over and over...sure, i want to improve, succeed, be less 'sick' etc. ... but there's nothing 'wrong with me'...and there's nothing wrong with you ... there's tons of good information on this forum if one just starts at the top and reads it like a book, each post being a 'chapter' written by a contributing author....peace love joy, play, eh...johnny
that's 30-40mgs of Norco per week not per day ... lj
the doctors took me off  Norco cold turkey as of yestersday....I was taking 2 10mg 3 times a day for neck and back pain but over the years I was having problems with my legs and it helped that was well.....now I need to go off of these pills and the dr. made the choice for me...he but me on clonelpam....(dont know the spelling off the top of my head it is a generic) it makes by feel high and sleepy i didnt ever feel that with the norco....I just survived and did my daily  things and with no problem but I dont know what to do......this is my second day and I dont know what I feel.....sleepy from the new pill.....my pain is back in my neck and my legs feel they are in a vise........and I have to go to work feeling like this....this will get worse wont it??

PLease let me know if this is normal to be feeling....I wish it was a week later....so I can feel some what normal.....
I didnt think I had a big problem but I do.....and the bad thing is you can purchase this drugs on line with no problem......that doesnt help us the ones that want to be clean......wow!! I said clean now I really do sound like a drug accident......
I just stumbled upon this site when I was looking for withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  I've been taking norco for about 2 years in a dose of 10/325 4-6 times a day.  I take 1 and 1/2 each time.  I am also on Durgesic patch, 50mg.   I am a fibromyalgia - chronic fatigue patient.  I have an extra issue.  I had gastric bypass 6 years ago and can't take Lyrica or any time released product.  So I'm on the fast acting, short acting drugs.  I want off soooooo  bad, but I'm so afraid of throwing up, nausea.  I can handle the other w/d symptoms probably, but I freak out about puking.  I haven't done it in over 21 years. . . phobia!!  Is there any way to go through getting off of this without especially that side effect?  I have not tried yet.  I did go 16 hrs without them last night and this morning and by the end of that, I was nauseous, diahrea, and starting to get chills.  and that's WITH the Duregesc patch on.  What advise can anyone give me per experience?
cookie,
This is a very old post I dont want people to miss your post why don't you copy your post and start a new thread .BTW welcome to the forum there is tons of support here.
I've been on 10/325's for 6 years for back and neck pain as a result of a bad car collission. I've managed to work my way up to being prescribed 270 tabs per month- 3tabs 3 times a day. I was feeling only little pain so consequently did much more physically demanding laborous work and needed 3 more at the end of the day, so it went from 9 to 12 and sometimes 15. This has become a huge dependance issue for me, my back has DDD damage and much pain. I've grown to resent taking the pills, feeling like I'll never be free from them. Well, in the last month I've been trying to reduce the intake to 8 a day ( 2 at a time) then as I ran out of the last RX 2 days ago, here I am feeling alot of pain and the diarrea (diarrhea), sweating, sneezing and 2 days w/o any sleep. The last 2 pills I took was at 8 pm Wed. night so I could sleep, it's now been about 43 hours and counting. I am determined THIS time as it is not the first attempt. Each previous time I've gotten about this far and feel so much pain from the original injuries along with the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms that I had gone back to them justifying in my own mind that this was cruel and unnecessary to put myself through all this. What's differeent about this time is that I have been recieving chiropractic treatments that have lessened my back/neck pain somewhat for the last 2 weeks and I believe I can do this- not only for me but for my daughter who has been watching and learning by my bad example. I want to show her that her pop is not hooked on pills and that it was a BIG MISTAKE TO HAVE STARTED TAKING THEM TO BEGIN WITH. The doc's never told me it would be like this. That it would hook me like a fish. I am not a fish- I am a man. I am looking foreward to the symptoms subsiding soon, though. This is not fun. Another lesson learned, street drugs or legal drugs- they all have consequences and a BIG PRICE TO PAY. A friend told me to try B50 vitamin in the mornings.
This is a very old post why dont you copy your post and start a new thread .welcome:)
If you are taking norcos,vicodin,generic vicodin usually manufactured by watson,in any dose.IF you abruptly stop you are in for one of the worst experiences of your life.You will feel like you want to die,the depression magnifies anything bad in your life 100 times.You will be unable to work or do anything exept wallow in your own misery.But this can be avoided IF you cut back gradually.I went through withdrawal after taking 14 5mg vicodin a day and had to be hospitalized.I took them again later and wanted to stop so i did it successfully after cutting down by one less pill a day for a week,then one less pill a day for a week and so on until i was down to one pill a day.  then i cut those in half and took half a pill for three days then stopped.other than mild fatigue i had no symptoms of withdrawal.The way people get into trouble is the tolerance issue.Like axel rose says in "mr brownstone"" I used to do a little but a little wouldnt do it so the little got more and more"I just got into trouble again when my illegal supplier who had always had them for months suddenly ran dry.So i had to suffer badly again because of the sudden cutoff.ALWAYS keep an emergency supply you never touch unless you are faced with loss of supply.That way you can at least minimize the damage to yourself by tapering off.
not good
I've lost my family over Norco. I can only hope someone who is not addicted will read my post and stop taking the meds. Everytime I tried to get off the withdrawals were to hard and I knew my wife would find out and leave me forever. I love my family more then life it's self. Well my wife kicked me out of the house and I decided its time to quit and work on getting my family back. I prayed and prayed for help getting off the pills. They snuck up on me while I thought my life with my family was fine, Well I dont know why buy its been 6 days without taking one pill and I have not had a withdrawal since, I now need to work on myself to get my family back. I've been a horrible husband and a horible father for two years of using norco. If you get hurt **** it POWER THROUGH the pain and do not resort back to pain meds.
got a prescription for Norco last week. for 7.5mg. I was in pain for endometriosis. The bottle is gone --having some shakes, aches, anxiety... how will this last? it's only been a week. the Rx was for 30 pills total - I am now freaking out reading this thread. how long until this is out of my system??  dang, this stuff is powerful.
I just got kicked out of the house.  Norco addiction is killing me.  I go to see a Dr in 2 weeks to get on suboxone to finally get me right, and hopefully get my family back soon.  It's been 3 days without a pill and I'm drinking a ton to be able to sleep and to deal with the withdrawls.
Welcome this is a very old post why dont you start a new thread .I would hate for this post to get overlooked
well I have been using norco for almost two years as well but i decided 6 days ago to quit and I dropped from 8-10 a day down to 1.5 for three days 1 for three days then half for another three days and then i should be done. I have tried to quit about three times  before cold turkey but i made it 7 days and just gave up but this time i decided to try it different not cold turkey but less and less and i must admit i am still going threw  withdrawls but they r more tolerable and i am makin it i am determined and willing to do what it takes I am on day six now and like i said i still have withdrawls but they are more tolerable and thats what matters
Im on day 9 now and if u havent read my first post I have decided to take less and less I went from taking 8-12 10/325's a day about 120-200 pills a month I am 23 and have been taking them for 2 years.. 9 days ago i decided to quit due to the fact we r all labeled by people as "the bad people" even if you are a good normal person because a doc gives u meds and doesnt tell u the after effects.. well n e ways I went all day my first day until about 9pm at night when the sweats started and the nausia and just crappy feeling started at that point I realized I couldnt do it cold turkey so I decided to just take 1.5 for three days 1 three more days and finally .5 for three more days and i have been following it religously today was my last .5 dose and as for how it went well the seccond day I was mentally unstable i have an abusive husband who pushed me to the edge and back but I still kept to the plan the third day I was still a little weak had diarriah and sneezed alot the fourth day well i felt ok but still had the weak feeling and mind you the leg cramps have been there the whole time the fith day  on i felt ok tomarrow will be the first day of taking none i am nervous but i know i can do it. to n e one out there who feels like they cannot quit just know that it is possible u dont have to live like this but u do have to want to quit or it will not work.
You posted on a very old post. You should copy and paste and share your story within a new post. Doing this will insure that everyone will see it and will help you by getting all kinds of wonderful advice. Congrats on doing so good with your fast taper and keep going strong. I'm sorry you have a abusive husband as no one should have to deal or put up with that. I am very happy that you decided to take the steps to insure yourself a clean life away from the pills. I too wish I would have been more educated on the pain meds before I was prescribed them but I think the doctors feel they are doing there job as long as we are not in pain.  I think they just figure we read all the papers and warnings that come with the script from the pharmacy and know what we are getting ourselves in to. Just keep going strong and know that each day will get better and better! Best of luck!
please consider getting help and doing something about the man you married(husband sounds a little to good hear---when i hear that word i get a better image than i abusive man) yo9u desearve better sweetie, you do not have to put up with abuse i have a forum "getting and giving emotional support" and its for gettting and giving support for this sort of things, let me know if yo9ur interested
I am a RN that has had severe neck pain and tons of stress. I started taking Narco 7.5/325 then went to 10.325. I did'nt take a lot a first then it stopped working for me. And of course I kept working, taking very little during the day but a night my addiction grew ans I would take 2 or 3 pills at a time. Loved the energy, but would stay up forever. Yhey never made me tired. Then that stopped working and my Dr's said no more. I ordered from the internet and got sugar pills. Anyway had to stop cold turkey. My stomach feels like its in a not and I'm very anxois. I'm on my third day, sometimes feel ok, but at night want to crawl out of my skin. Can't eat. I have some zanax that helps alittle with the anxoiusness, not addicted to those. Been yaking Narco for about a year. rt after my mom passed away.
Does anyone know if we can actually die from withdrawl (withdrawal) of Norco? Sometimes I feel like I have a faster heart rate than others and my breathing is short. No chest pain. I think I am freaking myself out though. Out of all symptoms I have had in the past the " crawling out of your skin" is the worst. There is NO WAY I am doing this Cold Turkey. I am weening myself off , its much better that way.
Hi Momo,

I never heard of anyone dying from Norco withdrawal. What you are feeling are symptoms of withdrawal. That being said, if at any time you feel something is not right, then get yourself to the ER right away! Good for you if you can taper. Most people find tapering very difficult to do as we get tempted when we begin lowering our dose and our bodies crave more. I hope it works for you.

To let you know---this post is nearly 7 years old. It would be good if you could start your own post and let the community get to know you. You can go to the top of this page, hit the green "Post A Question" button and start your own thread. Hope to see you out there.
I had surgery a month ago. I new from my last exsperence of taking Norco (Hydrocodone) that i LOVE the feel but they put my in the hospital last time on an overdose. So i figured this time maybe i would be smart on how i took it and do it right this time. Well i did and still im back in the same boat feeling the same way. I feel without the meds i can't be happy? how do you just move on and deal with it and be happy with life the way it is? i have a beautiful family an awsome wife and 3 wonerful kids! But still seems like that still does'nt make me "happy" and suggestions? i am open for anything just want to be NORMAL! Please help
I had spinal cord surgery on May 13th of this year and have been on Norco for about 3 months. The doc just have me my last prescription for 40 Norco 100-325. I am going to try to use these last few pills to wighn (sp?) myself off. Im pretty nervous on how I am gonna feel. Any advise on how many to take each day to minimize the WD? Please help me anyone with any info will help...
Welcome, and I would suggest going to "post comment" on the home page to start your own thread. This is an old post. You will get better responses that way.

Secondly, OKsooners - I can only tell you about me. I'm 22 days clean off a 3 year addiction to Norco. It started off like most legitimately then just spiraled out of control. The unhappiness that you feel is the drug taking over your mind. There is no way I could taper. I had to bite the bullet and go c/t. It is no fun, I won't lie, but there are remedies to help ease some of the discomfort. Look at the thomas recipe on the home page and keep posting. It is what helped me thru the worst.

Firefighter - We are not doctors and can't give you advice on how to taper. But, keep posting and others will be along to give you all the support you need and share their stories with you as well to help you thru this.

Best of luck to both of you!
I have been taking Nor Co/Vicodin since I was 14 off and on again for pain due to a kidney related health issue.  I never had an issue when I stopped taking them until I started taking 1 1/2 at a time for pain as prescribed for eight months.  I went from taking 6 or so a day to two halfs of 7.5 then to one half of 7.5.  The leg cramps, crying fits, depression, anxiety, scary thoughts etc overwhelmed me to a point where I really really really wished I could just take a pill and not wake up.  I went to the doctor today and he told me I needed to take more and over a four week period take less and less.  I am very scared to up my dose to two pills a day (one in the morning and one at night) for a week but that is what he has recommended.  I couldn't even get out of bed.  I just wanted some hope.  Lots of these posts are still filled with people struggling.  Has anyone tappered off of them slowly?  If so how did that go?  I would not recommend going cold turkey...I was very agressive with my first try getting off and it has been a living hell...a million times worse than the actual pain was.  My recommendation would be to seek medical attention, make a plan with your doctor, don't be embarassed, pray like crazy and whatever you do don't loose hope...we will all get through this.  Don't keep your experiance in...share it with people so they know the downfalls of this crazy medication.  You may save someones life.  Can someone post a story about how they got off the medication and how they feel now?  I will once I am off of it.  Have faith...I've had over 25 surgeries includeding a kidney removal...I know it feels impossiable...one day feels like 100 days...but we can do this!  Sending lots of love and well wishes to everyone.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has become addicted to these pills! I think my body has but at the same time I still need something for pain. It's so hard! I had total disc replacement in my neck and I take about 4-6 pills a day. norco 10/325. I've been taking them like that for about 6 months. I try REALLY hard to go without them but on top of the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms I also have the pain still. I give in for both reasons. The 1st time I actually just stopped cold turkey and then I thought I had the flu. I ached everywhere. My head hurt so bad. I was sweating and getting hot and cold flashes. I have 3 kids and my temper with them was so short. It hurt to walk. I was taking about 8 a day then and just quit. I went 3 days without them thinking I had the flu but I called in my script because my back was hurting really bad from laying in the bed. 45min after I took my 1st dose I was fine. All my flu symptoms were gone.I was SHOCKED!! I knew then I had a problem. I'm just happy I don't have an emotional addiction. To a point I do. It's really nice to hear everyones story and know you're not alone! Thank you all!!! Its hard but I believe we will all find a way to get through it!
     ~Melissa
I am dying. Been on Norco for 2 plus years due to a severe injury and multiple surgeries. RIght when I was getting better I broke my foot so they just re-upped my pain pills. My last pill was yesterday morning, and I have plenty of re-fills left, but I know I got to the point where I needed them. Needed them to feel motivated, needed them to clean the house, needed them for social interactions....I don't want to need them anymore, but the wd symptoms are making is very hard for me not to just go get more. My legs hurts so bad, im shaky, sick and the list goes on. Every time I try to stop I feel like this, and thus give in to just wanting to feel what my "normal" is now.  How the hell did I end up here?? If you knew me, you would think I had everything together. I am falling apart, and really just oding on my sleeping pills sounds like relief not to battle or to live a fake life...and then i think of talking to my doc. but the fear that he will take the norcos away from me stops me from talking to anyone. I am officially damaged goods.
HI welcome to the forum you found yourself here on an old thread you might want to go to the top of the page hit the little green box marked post a question and start your own thread
anyways you have found yourself in the perdicimite that many here have found them selfs in your addicted to pain pills...first off your not alone ....just read some of the posts your in good company...if you want to get off this mery go round we can show you how....this site is all about home detox and with the knowledge you can gain reading here you could be on your way to living your life not chained to a pill bottle anymore...your not damaged goods your an addict and there is help for you we need a bit more info to help you you can leve it here but it would be better to start your own thread hit the green box on top of this page and write what you did here and also a bit more info....how many are you taking a day right now?? and what strength are they...please post back we will try to help you just know you can do this and we will guide you on how to do it goof luck and God bless.....Gnarly  
OMG! I have been using Norco 10/325's for about a year now and when I run out I take a trip to the Emergency room and pretend like I have SEVERE back or tooth pain to get Vikes.I've come to realiza that taking Vikes IS THE WORST! ITS HARD TO KICK VIKES! I called a NA hotline and they really helped me out. A guy told me to drink plenty of fluids and sleep next to a heater, AND IT WORKS! You sleep like a baby! Today is my first day of kicking pills. Wish me luck people and let me know of any more remedies to helps with chills, cold sweats and nausea.
Were are the answers to all these questions???????????????  
Jess, this post is some 8 years old. If you have a question, start your own post and let us get to know you. You can do that by going to the top of this page and hitting the green Post A Question button. Follow the instructions. If you need any help just give a shout.
HELLO
I AM CURRENTLY ON NORCC 10 AND SOMA AND VICODINE 750 AT TIMES ALONG WITH OXY. I HAVE GONE THROGH 3 BACK SURGIERIES AND HAVE BEEN ON THESE DRUGS FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS. I HAVE ODed TWICE AND THONGHT I WOULD BE ABLE TO STOP BUT THE PAIN FROM MY BACK AND LEG STOPS ME FROM ATTEMPTING. I AM DOCTOR SHOPPING, GOING INTO MEXICO AND BUYYING FROM OTHER PEOPLE TO MAKE SURE I HAVE THEM. I AM TAKEING UP TO 4 NORCOS AND 4 SOMAS AT A TIME AND WILL TAKE MORE OR LESS IN ANOTHE TWO HOURS. JUST WENT THRU 150 NORCOS AND 200 SOMAS IN A ABOUT 8 DAYS I RAN OUT YESTERDAY AND CANT GET ANY AND IN SO MUCH PAIN FROM MY BACK AND THE WITHDRAWALS. ITS TO THE POINT I WANT TO JUST END IT. I DIDNT MEAN FOR THIS TO HAPPEN, I STARTED HAVING BACK PAIN SO THE DOCTORS START SAYING TAKE THIS AND WHEN YOU RUN OUT ILL GIVE MORE. I WAS ON THEM AND ALREADY ADDICTED BEFORE MY FIRST SURGERY, SO AFTER THEY SURGERY I WAS IN A LOT OF PAIN DUE MY BODY WAS ALREADT IMMUNED TO PAIN KIILERS, NO MATTER WHAT THEY GAVE ME NO HELP. BUT THEY ARE STILL GIVING THEM TO ME AND I COUNTED THE BEFORE I RAN OUT I TOOK 4 VICO/4 SOMAS, 1 HR LATER 2 VICO/2SOMAS AT WORK AND 3 NORCOS AND 3 SOMAS 1 HR BEFORE LEAVING WORK. WHEN I GET HOME AROUNG 5PM I WILL TAKE 4NORCS/4 SOMAS. 1HR LATER 3NORCS/3SOMAS AND BERFORE I GO TO BED 4 NORCS/4 SOMAS PLUS A SLEEP AID, SO I AM TAKING AROUND 14-15 NORCS OR SOMAS A DAY AND TRUST ME SOMEDAYS I TAKE ENOUGH SOMA TILL IT PUTTS ME INTO A SOMACOMA. I AM SURE SOME OF YOU SOMA TAKERS CAN RELATE TO A SOMACOMA. I KNOW I NEED HELP BUT AFRAID OF THE PAIN FROM MY MAJOR BACK SURGERY AND ANOTHER ONE COMING IN THE FUTURE I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BEAR IT.

ANY WORDS OR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
THANKS, jh
i am on my first 24 hour period. My body aches but through prayer,music and lots of water I seem to be removing the pain from my body. I was in pain when I started reading these web pages on Norco withdrawls but now that my mind is working the pain has subsided. I can't sleep but that is ok I have 9 days before I go back to work. Vicodin took me one week and after that,I was fine. I kicked a 5 year Vicodin habit for two years and then I was subscribed norco for my constant pain and I'm right back where I started.
We can do this as long as you stay strong to your GOAL.
No more pain meds!!!
Good Luck to all
No more pain meds!!!
Good Luck to all
This is JMH1969 wife or should I say widow. He OD'd two days ans found this link and his post and never really saw any of you offer him help.
thanks for a worthlees forum
JMH1969 Widow and 2 Kids
Can anyone please help me. Ive been taking at least 6  norcos a day for the past nine months just recently I had a job offer and I have to drug test for it but I bought my self some time so that I can get clean. Sunday 8/23 was the last day that I took norcos. Yesterday was ok until around 9 oclock I started feeling really restless especially in my legs I couldnt even lay down in bed it was so bad. Finally I took a hot bath n took some tylenol pm but that only worked a couple hrs I woke up n my legs, chest, and arms kept tightening up on me. I sat on my couch for about an hr n fell back asleep about 4am and all night I had broken sleep. Today ive been cold all day long, ive been sweating, ive been tired mentally and im scared! I dont know what to do and Im scared because I hear that days 3 through 5 are the worst. Can anybody give me any advice please!
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am suffering from norco addiction. Today is day 1 of being clean from those yellow demons...how many days will I have to go through this. I have 2 beautiful children that need me, and - work full time..so scared to miss work because of this sh*t because I don't want to lose out on this promotion that I've applied for. Someone please help me, I feel like I'm losing my mind.
Plz some one any one help me I wana get of vikz es and narcoz but as soon as I do I feel like I'm goin to literly die God my body startz burning and acheing all over if I dnt take them plz ther has to b sum one outthere dat knowz what I'm goen. Thrww plz plz help me plz
Hey just saw this post and you three should post your own threads so that we can all support you!  Good luck to all three of you, was addicted BIG TIME to norco's and would love to chat with anyone of you, so if you can post your own threads and tell us your story!
Just checking to if my post works...
Now I think I have a physical dependence to opiates. I know I do. Norco in particular. I am here for help with that. Going through withdrwal is killing me. How the hell did this happen? I know better. But it seems that does not matter at the moment. How many days can I look forward to these symptoms? I have barely made it 14 hours and feel like dying. HOW am I actually going to do this? I have back problems. Degenrative disc disease. Bladder cancer brought me to this place. Also, I have just quit valium. So there is no help with me there. HELP!
Plz plz help me I'm gave fibromyalgia and take vikz es and norcos I wana get off of em but whn I dnt take tgwm mt whole body burns anb aches soo bad what do I do plz some one help me!!!!
I have not came out in the open about this to no one. But I am going to right now. Off and on for the last 2 years I have had a norco addiction. It stated out for the last year and a half to were I was taking only 2 a day and that was it. Now for the last month I find reasons to take more than two. I am not happy ever when I take them.
I am now noticing that my mood is just awful, I am over sinsetive,  very angery. I seem to to be never happy. I am married to a wonderful husband and we have 3 wonderful kids. I stated taking them cause when i did oh wow I have some evergy and it was nice. Felt a little like wonder women. Now I do not have a drive to want to do anything. I know that I dont not take a whole lot but I have taken a whole lot through out the years.
I just dont know how to keep the drive in me not to want to take them. I go to bed saying tomorrow will be the day I am going to stop. and ect, ect. It is October 2, 2011 at 1:36 am and I want to be free from this. I want my addiciton to by my children. I want them to be what I need to smile, to get up and to do more things with them.
With my husband I want to smile at him and tell him I love him with out feeling guilty. This secret is killing and i think it is for real. I WANT TO BE FREE!!!!! more than anything in this world. So I will check in tommorw and let you know it I was one day free form this demoned!! Thank you for listening........
I am currently going thru withdrawals from taking narcotic painkillers for years. I can take anywhere from 30-40 10mg tablets in a day. I saw an addiction specialist about this n he prescribed a medicine called suboxone. It is a miracle drug!!!!! It takes away all the physical withdrawal symptoms. It is made from an opiate tho so be sure to take it exactly as prescribed n not for longer than necessary or u can become addicted to that also. I highly recommend this drug to all who know how horrific physical withdrawals can be. I thank god everyday for Dr. Richard Ready in Hinsdale, IL. The best of luck to all of u going thru this hellish nightmare!
hello, i am taking a similar amount that u were and im trying to taper myself off of them i cannot take these withdrawls and im terrified to see a doctor..i was just curious as to what happens when u go to an additcion specialists and is it bad??? if u could respond i would much appreciate it thank you
~norcoaddict
I have been taking vicodin for a year and norco for just about that long before I had to be upgraded for relief...Ive had 5 surgeries in 10 months. Shoulder, both hands, knee then breast... Been a hellish couple years of pain recovery and physical therapy. Now Ive decided to just quit taking all this stuff and its worse than any of what Ive been through yet!!! I went cold turkey 3 weeks ago, feel like Im going crazy, have had the worse every minute headache every day since. Plus tummy pain, no sleep or hideous sleep. Exhaution, mood swings, crying.... Sheesh it just goes on and on.... Went to urgent care, no help. E-mailed my Dr. and she gave me somekind of painkiller injection for the headache and sent me home with prednisone that I am to take for 10 days starting strong then tapering off... Im hoping/praying for any relief... This is not at all what I expected as I didn't get on this stuff or fun and feel Ive been  trapped now with this horrible withdrawal crap... Wondering how long this is supossed to last as Im about ready to punch some one :/ maybe even myself. Don't know what to do, does anyone have ANY answers for me? PLEASE.....
I know i'm a addict,I started taking norco about 8  years ago.It started with one a day for back pain,i'm up to 10 a day.There are days I just want to stop because I feel like crap all the time,but I think i'm more afraid of the withdrawl (withdrawal).With my job I work with the public and I never get one more than one day off at a time,I honestly don't think I could work going through withdrawl (withdrawal).So with everyday that passes I know i'm getting more dependent.I've gotten to the point that I do nothing but work,I don't move off the couch until I have to get ready for work,I haven't cleaed my house in over a year,somedays I don't even shower.I sit and chain smoke waiting to take another pill,most days i'm so digusted with myself that I would rather not be alive but I know my dogs need me so I get up and repeat the day.
You are on your third week drug free?  From what I have read on this forum most of the physical symptoms should be over with.  Mental symptoms can last much longer.  Prednisone has some side effects doesn't it?  Have you been exercising?  Everyone seems to say that is the best to help with mental side of withdrawals.  If you have gone three weeks that is awesome!  you should feel so good about yourself!!
Ann, I am proud of myself. But I STILL have the darn horrible headache... every minute every day, no relief. I sleep sometimes now which is good, but am moody because of the constant nagging pain. Trying to fill my days up by focusing on anything positive to make the day go by faster, hoping tomorrow will be the day Im getting better... Just so cranky which has never been me ever... I sooooo am not giving up now because Ive gotten this far and never want to go through this again. It's the worst thing to happen to someone I think. I won't go back by giving up now... Just wish people would understand what this feels like so I would get a least a little credit here at home for going cold turkey and lasting this long with out begging for help :) sheesh...... God help us all.......
HI WElcome to the forum sounds like your in the midst of this what day are you on we are here to suport you and help but might I suggest you stat your own post go to the top of this page there is a yellowish/orange box marked post a question start your own thred you can start it with your story and how you got where you are how many pills your taking and such this is a really old post your on and it will get overlooked so go a head and post a brand new one good luck and God bless.....Gnarly
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! I am taking 25 norcos and 5 somas at a time am I going to die??? People tell me they have never heard of someone taking that many??? Am I abnormal with this, please help!!!!!!
HI WEll in short if you keep it up your liver or kidneys will fail and thats it for you you have a serious habit and you need to taper off and then quite or just quit your at the make it or break it stage of addiction I have seen worst but not by much time to make some life changeing choices ........detox off that amount will be hell it would be best if you could taper back a bit to like 1/2 that then jump off then its like having the flu for about 4 or 5 days there is a mental bash that comes along with it but right now we need to address the imedate problem of toxicity read some of the posts to get an idea of what your going to go threw look to the lower right of this page for the thomas resipe and pick up the stuff it will help with your detox there is a lot of good info on this page in the health pages read up on it when your ready to start let us know and will walk you threw the process good luck and God bless.......Gnarly  
Hello to everyone: I am very concerned for my husband & a little concerned for myself. My husband has suffered tremendously 4 most of his life with chronic back pain. (please keep reading & I will explain why I am so concerned 4 my him) We've been best friends and through hell and back 4 last 28 months.It started when I was diagnosed with rare form of glaucoma in BOTH eyes along with 2 other eye diseases from July,2009 - Dec. 2009. We had no insurance & ran out of money during that time. One month later in Jan, 2010 I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer deep in abdomen called Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.Had 2 close home based business (lost all income), file bankruptcy,repo of only form of transportation, go on Medicaid & SSI (for me only) & currently face foreclosure of home.I am temporarily in remission, (this lymphoma is notorious for coming back repeatedly) & am so thankful, however, the very potent chemotherapy I was given for 13 hrs every 3 wks 4 7 months completely destroyed my body. Now I suffer daily with chron pain of numerous neuropathies, fibromyalgia, lupus & other auto-immune disorders. Chronic pain is 24/7 even though I take opiates 4 pain, unwillingly so, I might add. I take 75mcg of fentanyl every 72 hrs recently increased from 50 mcg, & now pain mgmt. doctor trying to get me to increase to 100 mcg, but I refuse, plus 30 mg.of Oxycodone 4 X's per day 4 break through pain,10 mg.Valium 2 X's per day & just recently added 50 mg.of Elavil at bed time. Pain mgmt. doc has me down as taking fentanyl every 48 hrs.but I reserve extra 5 patches ea. month 4 my husband. Also have many days where I choose to suffer & take only 1 or 2 Oxy, again saving other two 4 my husband.He doesn't qualify for Medicaid & we have no ins. & almost zero income. Also on food stamps. Big concern 4 husband. We found out in 1998 that his ever increasing back pain was due to sev. things. He was born with unnaturally fused vertebrae in neck & at base of spine. Numerous comp. fractures from several accidents & injuries starting age 12. Has Spinal Stenosis &Arthritis in most of spine. Also,herniated disc at L4 & L5. Diseases have increased over time & he can't even be in a vehicle 4 more than 15 or 20 min. before back pain from neck down, then siatica in both legs (pure torture 4 him). He used 2 take Tylenol daily, do PTexercises,used heating pad on back most hours daily (which has scarred his back horribly) and spends 2 hours ea nite taking very hot baths just before bed. In June,2007, he finally agreed 2 see my family doc.who started him on Vic 5mg. up to 4 X's day & Soma 4 X's day. He started to feel better than he had since he was a child! So,he was HOOKED. Started building up tolerance. Meds no longer working 4 pain. Became miserable again. Doctor started increasing doses & now is prescribed 6 Norco & 5 Soma per day. That works out to be 180 Norco &150 Soma per month. Also prescribed 2 mg. Xanax & Buspar daily. HOWEVER, this is no longer enough. For 6-8 months has been going  through all  Norco & Soma in 10 days. THAT'S 18 Norco &15 Soma per day! He is allowed refill every 28 days,so has 2 suffer with no Norco or Soma for 18 days ea. month. Enabler that I am, & even though my pain is extreme, I give him 5 patches of fentanyl ea month which last him 15 of those 18 days but does NOT give much pain relief at all. Says Norco puts Fentanyl 2 shame in comparison. I also give up 50 - 60 of my Oxy which he consumes in about 5 of those18 days.We literally both go through hell from pain and he suffers withdrawal 18 days ea month. No one knows about this. My pain is horrible because I do without by giving my meds 2 him. I have so many disorders from chemo. Even have chronic Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis in every joint, broken cocyx, several hern.discs, degen. disc disease, Spinal Stenosis (like he does) in addition 2 all other disorders mentioned. The difference is that I HATE TAKING PAIN MEDS! I have no problem stopping them if we can figure out a way to lessen my pain with other therapies. Neuropathy alone has both my feet,ankles &knees to be so swollen that they look like they will burst at any moment. I have very little mobility. Use a walker & some days am confined to a wheel chair. My husband is my caregiver too. Can no longer get in or out of bed by myself. Nor a chair, commode, etc. Still, I enable him by giving up my meds 2 him. He truly hurts so much & I love him 2 much 2 watch him suffer. He feels ashamed that he isn't as strong as I am when it comes 2 being able to tolerate high pain levels. The truth is I cry from pain several times a day behind his back just so he doesn't have 2 watch me suffer as much. I have 2 try 2 hide some of intense pain I go through or he'll eventually fall apart emotionally. His mom died suddenly on September 8th from cancer. We had no trans. 2 get 2 her before she drew her last breath as she lived an hour away & no one was available 2 get us there last minute.He is a really good man,kind & gentle natured, a loving caregiver, going through torturous physical pain himself daily, along with shame of not being able to provide 4 us financially, along with guilt &
shame of being dependent of high doses of these meds just to get a little relief 4 only10 days ea month.Also heartache of watching me suffer 4 last 28 months from cancer, its side effects of intense pain,vomiting & now inability to move on my own, along with shame of taking a lot of my meds just so he can be strong enough 2 help pick me up sev. X's day & night from bed or chair help me take long walk 2 bathroom & back again,etc. We have no one else who helps us. We are alone most days & can't leave our house. We may lose our house 2 foreclosure & have no idea where we will live. This adds to his feelings of shame, guilt & helplessness.I believe in the power of prayer, meditation & positive thinking. I spend my days on my computer (when I have enough physical strength) researching everything. That's how I found this thread. Being new 2 this site, I hope this long email finds itself in front of the right people. I read one post from the wife of a man who posted asking this forum 4 help as he was taking same amount of Norco and Soma that my beloved takes. She posted that he DIED from overdose just a few days after his post 4 help here. Her post was in anger (understandably) as she is now a widow with 2 children. I too, am afraid that my husband, my soul mate could die unexpectedly from the massive doses he takes just to have 10 days per month of some relief & where he feels like he can take better care of me. He is my hero & as I actually died from the chemo twice last year (and was revived at the hospital each time), I know he is scared & takes large doses partly because he is afraid of losing me. He refuses to let any doctor or therapist know or help because they will treat him as an addict when actually he is just a man with severe,chronic pain that is only relieved by Norco & Soma. Nothing else works for him. We have tried almost all meds & therapies available for his kind of pain. CAN ANY ONE HELP?
I'm so sorry for all you and your husband have gone through. My only advise would be to search for free medical help for your husband and get family or friends involved to help care for you. There are other options for your husband like pain management and someone (not you) to handle his medication intake so it is taken appropriatley and not mishandled. I will think of you, and pray that you can make this work for both of you.
I too take Norco and soma. I take two Norco and one soma every three hours, how r you doing?
Sorry, I haven't been to the site to see your kind reply. My husband is now getting multiple tests again. CT Scan already done, showed two hernias and something on his scrotum for which they will be doing an ultra sound on. He had hernia surgery on his left lower abdomen area two years ago and due to his back trauma it took 7 weeks instead of 3 to heal. Now he has one on each side due to having to pick me up out of bed several times a night or help me on to my feet from a chair, etc. He has 3 MRI's coming up. Two on his upper and lower back on 12-20-11 and one MRI of his head and neck area (along with the scrotum ultra sound and a bone density test) on January 9, 2012. He sees the hernia surgeon on 2-14-12 (nice Valentine's day..ugh!) who will discuss the two hernias and surgery options. In the meantime, my condition has worsened and we are fighting depression daily. We will survive it only because we really, really love each other so much. Thank God for that! Chronic pain to such intensity is very hard to watch your loved one go through. Even harder to watch as you, yourself are screaming from pain. We cry for each other and ourselves daily now. We didn't ask for any of this and he is NOT an addict. He has simply become opiate tolerant where it takes more of the meds to provide enough relief to just function like normal people get to do everyday. And doctors are at a loss so far. We'll hopefully have answers after all his tests come back. That is when he will be seeing a county pain management doctor that our primary care doctor has referred him too. It is 6:30 am (central time) and I went to bed at 11:30 pm but woke up an hour later @ 12:30 am, screaming from pain all over. After he was able to lift me to my feet, my husband once again helped me walk to the bathroom. I just couldn't lay down again because that is when I hurt all over the most. So, once again I've been up all night. Beds. They bring on so much pain. And we have a king sized tempurpedic mattress too. You'd think it would help, but no! My new specialist is a Rheumatologist and she did different lab work up. I definitely have full blown fibromyalgia she said. So she has started me on another med called Savella. It starts out with low dosage working up to 100 mg. per day. Today will be day 3 out of 28 days of the trial. OK...enough of all that. Thanks again for taking the time to post. Your compassion is felt and so appreciated. I wish you and yours a very happy, healthy and Blessed holiday. ---Peace.
I have been an addict for a long time since i was 14 years old doing coke,weed,xanax,viks and the worst of all of them is noroco i have never felt withdrawals like those i have been taken them from a doctor for almost a year but i have been taken them by the street doc for 10 years i am 26 now i feel like a hot mess always tired lost a lot of weight lost friends lost my girl yea i found a good girl who wants to help me but the fear of actually feeling sober scares me i am high right now i hate the stomach pain all your joints hurt head hurts the doc said the stuff would help pain not make more of it..i am only 26 but i have the back of an 60 year old man i was workn my whole teen life in construction and i have nothing im a 26 year old burn out it makes me sick thinking about whats gonna happen when i dont get anymore had to vent i hope all of you get better and dont turn out like me i am just killn myself slowly takn this **** you all are to you all have people that love you and if you dont i got a lil love i can give to make you stop takn this ****    
Greetings --

Last year I was on this page after googling Norco addiction. I wanted to read other people deal with the same problem and how to overcome it. I promised myself if a year later I was off Norco, I'd come here and write it can be done.

Two years ago, I fell off a speeding bike. My shoulder was dislocated, my left arm broke, and I was bruised on most parts. In the ambulance, they were giving me morphine but it wasn't doing anything, at all. Then once they "put me back together," I woke up and they gave me a couple of bottles of pain killers to take home. At first, I was so happy these little magical pills were taking most of the pain away. After my shoulder surgery, they gave me more Norco. Five months later, I realized I was no longer taking the pills for the physical pain... I was taking them to feel happy and when I tested myself for one day and didn't take one, I realized I was in big trouble. Still, I didn't quit them. Then one day it was time for me to pick up a refill and I didn't. I locked myself in for a week, hoping I would get it out of my system. That week will never leave my memory. It was difficult, sweaty (ugh) and never before I felt so RESTLESS, but then I felt fine. A month later, I wasn't even craving a Norco. It's been a year without that dangerous drug and I'm doing just fine, very healthy and happy. Maybe instead of doing it on your own, you can ask for professional help, but the important thing is that you can do it even though at the time you're battling it, it seems just impossible.

By the way, no matter what happens to me in the future, I will refuse to take another pain killer. I rather suffer intense physical pain than go through that type of battle all over again. The dependency on a little pill had me feel like a weak thing and so I tell anyone out there ABOUT TO take a pain killer, don't do it because it will do more damage than good... in fact, it won't do any good, at all. The "good" a pain killer does is like a magic trick. Stay away.

Best wishes.
It is awesome to finally read a post that has a happy ending! Even though we don't know each other, I am very proud and thankful for you....and with you. Our situation has not improved as more test results have shown that my husband's numerous conditions have only worsened. Each time the doctor calls with results of the MRI's, CT Scan, etc., his sense of hopelessness increases. His pain is extreme and covers most of his body every second of each day for over 20 years. My pain issues originally stem from a "not at fault" auto accident, then a rare form of Glaucoma (even went blind for a few weeks), two other critical eye diseases, and last but not least, the debilitating remnants of taking 5 powerful chemotherapy drugs for almost a year. So, I myself am taking massive doses of Fentanyl transdermal patch of 100 mcg.every 72 hours, 40 mg. of Oxycodone up to four times a day (as needed), Norflex twice a day and 1 mg of Xanax up to twice a day for the anxiety that pain spikes cause. Chemotherapy destroys the body as it kills the cancer. But in many cases (like me) the destruction leads to intense chronic pain and numerous neuropathy issues and auto-immune problems. However, I have always been one to refuse pain medications until the pain reaches a point that I can no longer stand the pain. I start vomiting from the pain and the spasms, and sometimes have seizures. So, when the pain reaches a 8 or 9 on the 1 through 10 pain "scale" (with 10 being the worst imaginable), I take my spike meds (Oxy, Norflex, Xanax). Every few months I try to stop my spike meds just to see where I really am with the pain. After 1 or 2 days I realize that my body is still significantly damaged and I have to take the meds. I know that if the doctors could fix my body, I would have no problem getting off of all of the drugs. Even with severe withdrawals. That's because in my mind, I HATE TOXINS! But until they find cures for all of my nerve damage, eye damage, bone damage, fibromyalgia and lupus issues, I have to take the meds. But for those of you who are no longer plagued with pain, and are dealing with being addicted to these medications just to feel "normal", I truly empathize with you. You suffer because the medications have caused a chemical change in a part of your brain. It's NOT YOUR FAULT! If you have a good relationship with your doctors, you should try to tell them what has happened. Seeing a pain management specialist is your best bet. They understand more than regular MD's or family practice doctors and would be the kind of doctor that has the knowledge and experience to best help you. My prayer for everyone reading this post is that you not only keep looking for answers, but that you stay hopeful. Without hope, you lose your faith. And that's never good. So, keep searching and trying....over and over and over again. There is an answer to your addictions. Your job is to keep up your strength to keep looking without giving up. Here's to a world free of "Big Pharma" and their not-so-innocent agendas. Here's to your freedom from pain and/or addiction. Here's to Ultimate Health, Peace and Well Being...sent in love from me to all of you.
I have been taking norcos 10/325 for about two years around 5-10 a day.. I have also been taking.g 50 mlg transfer since November. I ran out of both now and have had nothing since Friday 02/10/2012 going into this third day I a wreck !! Anxiety through the roof, tired, irritable, unmotivated, and downright depressed.... I don't i.e. what to do !! I rather not live than feel like this... I scared, alone, and desperate.....
You should create a new post so that more people can answer.  This is an older post.  Hang in there......This is just temporary and it is difficult going from high to low in a matter of a few days.  I would recommend posting a new question and we can talk from there.....
I am the same as you.  Was so together and happy and now doom seems to follow me on a daily basis.  I am having a hard time writing this and my memory is failing. It feels like brain atrophy....along with my muscle atrophy.  How did I become this person.  I take Norco only 7.5 mg a day to motivate me and help with the pain. I could tolerate if I could only relax enough and now 7.5  is not enough.  Have been on these for almost four months due to severe injury.  Where is the help after dosing... I have been everywhere and I am just breathing in and out everyday.  Not living.  Who is that person in the mirror.  I look the same but I am not ME.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST AS I STRUGGLE EVERYDAY THINKING I AM LOSING MY MIND!

GOD BLESS
I have an inoperable arthritic condition in my lower spine. I am on epeidurals monthly and 10/325 norco 3x daily. Plus a shot of vodka now and then to help it kick in better.  Since my conditon with my back is chronic I cant stop the meds even thought I want to. This ***** so bad and i've considered ending it all except I have 2 youngsters. If I stop the Norco the pain in my back is so bad that I dont even notice the withdrawals. I wish someone could help me.
I found this forum while googling how to cope with norco withdrawals.

I have a pretty good record with quitting cold turkey when it comes to addiction. I quit smoking almost 7 years ago, after a 9-10 year habit. (yea i know, i was 10 or 11 when i started..) that took 3 days of fighting the urges, i got headaches, but took aspirin, and the occasional sick stomach. I drank heavily/daily from the ages of 18-24....i lucked out with that one, because i nearly died, and every drink after made me puke. Since that one night, i've had less than 20 drinks in 3-4 years... Haven't been drunk since... still have an occasional drink every now and then, but NOT addicted at all...

For the last 4-5 years i've had horrible back pain, that caused me to lose my job, and insurance (long story) and forced me to move back home. Dealt with severe depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety.. as I had no money, no help to get my back pain resolved.. couldn't even get pain pills...no over the counter meds helped. So in august of 2010 my back pain reached it's point where it crippled me, and i wanted to end my life bad...rushed to the hospital... (lost feeling in my right leg to my toes, as a result) it took 9 months for me to get approved for/find a state funded insurance that was just created in jan. 2011... I have a laundry list of genetically caused problems with my back, stemming from when I was 8 months old and had spinal meningitis.. 99% can never be fixed, or touched as, the slightest thing could paralyze me. It seems my back pain was a ticking time bomb...and 27 years into life, it finally explodes...

so anyways... dr. gave me vicodin, and my body got immuned to that fast, so he prescribed me norcos 10/325... that helped great! i was taking 4 a day... no big deal... then a year to the date i went to hospital, i had back surgery to try and get feeling in my leg and foot back... dr. said it could comeback right away, 2 years, or never... after surgery i was in so much pain, i was taking 8-12 norcos a day.... so i can say i've been addicted for 7 months now.. and within the last few days i've decided to stop as, i realized i was addicted.... I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER NORCO!!!

I am on day four, and can't sleep, i sneeze a lot (which kills my back) lost my appetite, i'm always jittery, can't get comfortable laying down, sitting - anxiety and shortness of breath... this is hell... never have i had withdrawal symptoms this bad and hard to bare... i'm very depressed.... i'm meeting with a primary care dr. today to see what he can do for me.. i'm hoping to get something to relax me, and let me fall asleep.. in 4 days i've gotten 8 hours of sleep maybe... an hour at a time...

i'm glad to hear all these stories as they help my mental stability, and give me hope!
Ive taken between 6 to 12 norcos 10/325 everyday for 7 years and Im finally off.  Been for 4 weeks now, and Ill tell you what this is the second time ive come off them and it took 6 months realistically to get back to normal.  Tapering off is the way to go.  I went to 3 a day for a bit then  2 a day for a bit then i broke those little bastards in half and went to 3 halfs a day for a while then 2 halfs a day for a while then to one half a day saved it for night just to get some sleep. your legs kill ya your body hurts and your mind is mush you puke and crap all day long, but anyone with will can do it. the hard part is not getting them again.  Exercise this whole time till you feel like you cant move pushups situps jumping jacks whatever just do it it will make it better.  Im still kinda sick to my stomach and my legs kill and the restless nights still are a ***** sorry to say but you need to know to be prepared.  so you wont go back.  know your life will suck fir the next months but know you will get the rest of your life back.  F those pills I hate them but nothing makes you work better and feel better lets be real. Good luck to you all and to me.  buy extra toilet paper lol have fun sorry but you need to have good humor about it the poor me attitude will never work!
I just found out my Dr is cutting me off and I'm scared of the withdraws I hope he gives me a lower dose then cuts me off
I have been using norcos for about 2 yrs. It got up to about 20 per day. I have stopped cold turkey and am very sick. I have migraines and am  very nauseas. I can't even think about food. But it has been 2 days. I keep trying to remind myself that this suffering will be worth it in the long run because i'll be off the norco. I had knee pain when I started taking them, next thing I knew I was addicted.  Any tips on how to deal with the nausea?
This is an older post, you may want to start your own thread so that people will be able to help you! I am going through withdrawal right now I know how you feel! Nausea they say can be helped with dramamine or maybs phenergran (but I think that is rx). Wish you the best, stay strong you can do this!!
A u can still take little by little that's how I did it I was taking over 100 of the 10s norcos every day for like 5 months I go on and off all the time  just take some win u really fill like **** and go from there I'm just letting u know it works
Thank you for the neurontin advise. I am in my first 24 hrs. I had to take my first single dose of Norco 750 after a severe anxiety attack which occured after 22 hours of cold turkey. I also took two Neurontin for the anxiety attack per your advise and it has subsided. I think if i take one Norco a day and two Neurontin a day I might be able to taper off because I was only taking 5-6 a day. What do you think?
Oh and my use of Norco has been for three years of prescriptions
Is there anything you can do to help with withdrawls .. I'm only 18 and norcos have ruined my life.. I have already been on saboxen but I have RA very badley and the norcos where the only thing that works for me.. I'm ran out now and I feel like I'm dying is this dangrrous what should I do?
I was no Norco 10/350 for 3 months and 14 days.  I am now off of them and feeling sick all the time.  How long does the withdraw last.  Is their any thing that we can do for it?
OMG, I am so glad I found this page..I thought I was going crazy..I have been off the Norco for 3 weeks and still feel like crap..dizzy all day long and I cant concentrate...I have anxiety like crazy..I just want to know how long this last...
I have been reading everyone's post and you guys are so strong you can do this! You have people that love you and life is really wonderful when your straight. I am having issues with my husband and his taking narcos. I have found them in his car, in his pockets and randomly on the floor. He swears he isn't taking them anymore but I can tell when he is on them. He has lied to me several times about them and then swears he will stop taking them. I don't trust him and I don't know what to do. I don't want to see our marriage break up but, I cannot continue like this.
Ive been on Norco for 3 to 4 years I had to quit cold turkey Its been 4 days  I was taking 2 in the morn. and 5 and half at night all at once  I cant sleep at night and now Im getting stomach cramps starting today I need help

I been taken Lortab 7.5 like 6-9 a day I ran out I was in another country, I went nut.  I went to doctor and he gave me Norco 10,500  I was taking about 4 to6 a day I been on these drugs 25 years.  I went to bed and sleep 12 hours and I wake up carzy.  I said I got to stop and I did by praying and I took this med. a long time ago I hate it but real help with getting off Norco, it stop all pain because Norco want you to have pain to take more. so I ask my dr. to put me on Amitriptyline 25mg. I called my Daughter told here I was wanting to take Norco, she said Dad take 4 of Amitriptyline 25mg and that did not help because Norco cause leg pain very bad, I call my Daughter and said take more Amitriptyline 25mg I took a total of 9 in one night, then next night I took 1.  Amitriptyline 25mg stay in your body a long time but it not habit forming, I been of Norco now for 4 week, thank my Lord Jesus Christ and his Father in Heaven and the power of the Holy Spirit.. I made it....... and You can to I got real mad knowing this drug was control me and that when i said no more and just stop the Amitriptyline 25mg took the pain away last night I took one quater of Amitriptyline 25mg I do not like this drug but one quater of Amitriptyline 25mg is like 6 mg I was in a car wreck and my neck fracture in 3 places and hurt my back, I still have pain but I still had pain when I was taking Norco so what the differents pain with or with out you can deal with pain I keep geeting hurt like I torn my big toe nail off one night I went to bed it hurt about 2 min. because the other pain in my body is much greater, you just got to deal with pain and do not let it control you. Have a good day Robert......
You give me hope.  I have been on norco for about 5 years. I'm tired of taking it and I ran out. So I figured no better time then the present! I was taking 2weeks ago about 8 a day, it had went down today is my first day with out. But I'm feeling it:// restless legs, pain ect... Is there anything natural to help? What can I do?
I am 48 hrs into quitting norco 10/325. I've been reading here, and it was helping but last night was unbearable. My legs wouldn't stop, my skin prickled, sweats, goosebumps...and the sneezing aaaaargh! I took 10 mg melatonin to help sleep. I got about 3 hrs. I'm a 45 year old woman whose been comfortably numb for years, but opening the floodgates of emotions and pain all at once is almost too much to bear. Please, any suggestions??