Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Safe to stop taking Vicodin?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Safe to stop taking Vicodin?

Any help would be greatly appreciate.....I've been on Vicodin for 6 months.  I've been taking 2-4 daily of the 10's until about a week ago.  I decided to quit cold turkey and had some withdrawal symptoms.  I went 3 days without sleeping and had serious muscle pain.  Is this normal?  For the last few days I've been taking 1 or 2 a day and I started sleeping again.  Is there something I can take to help with the lack of sleep?  I've tried Ambien CR and Lunesta.  Neither work.  I've got to stop taking the Vicodin.  I don't really feel any mental connection to it.  I just feel the physical connection.  
Yes it is safe to stop... You were going throught the normal symptoms of WD from vicodin.  Melatonin works for some to sleep.. you just have to find the one that works for you. Detox generally takes 5-7 days with the 3 and 4th days being the worst. Get some Immodium that will help as well..
Can't add much to FLaddict's comment except that colonidine really helps with the wd's and your regular doc can give you that.  Also, it's so good that you nip this early cause many of us went way too far and got into a terrible rut!  It IS such a hard road back.... get off this stuff and stay away from it like your life depends on it, cause it does.  It's also good to post here everyday and let us know how you are doing.
Best
Jim
Well that puts my mind at ease a little.  I worry about the not sleeping part because no one knows I've become addicted to these.  I've learned to hide it extremely well.  It started out as a medical issue then a way to escape depression.  Thanks you guys.  This was my first visit here and I'll keep posting.  Thanks again.
If it wasn 't safe this forum would be empty.... we are all here trying to stop the pills.. It will be hard but no one ever died from lack of sleep... You will start getting more and more after about the 4th or 5th day..  you just have to stick it out long enough to get the drugs out of your system.. Since you went back to taking one or two.. maybe you should spend a few days just taking a half and then stop.. kinda like tapering but it may help your body adjust to being without first.. Just my 2 cents...
Well, what kind of led me here was the fact that the vicodin has run out and no way of a refill.  So I haven't had any today.  The last one I had was about 8 pm last night.  I'm okay so far but I know it's gonna be bad tonight.  I'm really stressing about that and I'm gonna have to continue going to work while I'm going through this.  It's not gonna be pretty.  
All good advice...Make sure you listen...llol..

When I first started my three year habit, I was certain that I wasn't psychially addicted, but when I tried to stop, HOLY ****...it was not fun...And at that point I was taking about 40mgs a day...around where u are...In any event, I never stopped for fear of W/D and took my self to a new plateau of 1000mgs a day, at one point. I have lost everything from this drug including my husband...Please, if you dont need em, get rid of the demon before he makes a permanent stay... Like Fladdict said, Melatonin works great...its cheal and can be purchased at any grocery/GNC/Rite Aid. What other symptoms r you having...Take warm baths for the Muscle aches...that will help, along with a heating pad. Look up the Thomas Recipe as it will help you with some vitamins to restore some energy...

Good Luck

Lisa
Oh how I can relate. I just took my last one yesterday as well. I can't get a refill until Thursday. Then I plan to refill and taper off with that prescription. I was taking them 8-10 a day after surgery, four months ago. I had complications so my doctor kept them coming, but I really needed them, too. Now not so much. I'm sure I won't sleep tonight. I have Benadryl which helped a little last night. No one knows in my family either.
kt
I'm sorry kt, it's gonna be a long night for you, too......I've never experienced anything like this before.......
How are you doing?
kt
I'm not doing so great right now.  My head is killing me and tylenol is not touching it.  I'm not sure what to do.  I feel like my head's going to explode.  I don't know how I'm gonna do this.
I'm really hoping you're right.  I think I'll take a hot bath and see if that helps and settle in for a long night.  Thanks for your support.  Keep posting and let me know how you're doing.  
what I hate most is the depression and not feeling like doing anything. On Vicodin, I LOVE to cook dinner, take the dog to the park, call and write people, go places, etc. Now all I want to do is hide in my room and hope the rest of the world forgets I exist for a few days.
Try Excedrin. That's always taken away tension-type headaches when Tylenol won't do a thing. I'm going to take a bath in sea salt. And shave. I can't sleep if I haven't shaved my legs. And bananas, for restless legs. I guess it's the potassium level that makes them restless. I don't think this will last as long as some people say. We've only been using a few months.
I know exactly what you mean....when I take it I feel soooo motivated to do all kinds of things.  It's like it makes everything seem that much better.  I have absolutely no energy right now and can't talk to anyone about it.  I don't want anyone to know.  All I feel like doing is laying around and it's really getting on my nerves.  I'll just be glad when it's out of my system and I can sleep and I get some of my energy back.  

This is killing me trying to work.  They probably think I'm retarded at work right now.  
I worked as a nurse. So whenever I was going through this I always managed to get more pills at work. I ended up losing my license, obviously. The boards have approved my reinstatement but I keep putting it off out of fear. How did you sleep last night? I slept fine. I actually feel fine physically. Just no energy or motivation. I'm hiding it too, so 'faking' being interested in stuff with other people that I'm usually interested in cuz I'm usually on vicodin, is HARD.
Did I read that you had been tapering? Doesn't tapering usually result in avoiding withdrawal? I thought that was the purpose.
kt
I had been tapering but am feeling the effects of it.  I'm sure it was too fast to avoid all the withdrawals.  Then a few days ago i quit completely but returned to taking 1-2 a day because I was hurting sooooo bad and couldn't sleep.  The last one I've had was yesterday around 6 pm so I'm about 20 hours without any.  I don't want to screw this up but it's just like I can't think.......I keep thinking I'll take just a half of one but them I'm like that's just going to keep dragging it out.  Anyway, that's the story.  

By the way, how are you doing?
Oh I'm ok actually. Just a little restless and depressed. Not much pain other than the pain I was taking it for in the first place. I had to force myself to take the dog to the park yesterday. (I told the dog we were NOT running this time!) so my family wouldn't wonder why I suddenly didn't for two days in a row! My biggest symptom is depression and lack of motivation. I have a refill today and I plan to taper with it. I didn't taper, and depression gets me to drinking. So that's why.
kt
Hi Cammie. How are you doing?
To Cammie and kt...

Tonight is my 3rd night of cold turkey. I have been addicted to vicodin for about a year now ( on and off.) It has literally been impossible for me to find a tolerable way to withdraw from this drug until tonight.

Screw tapering and cutting. You two have strung together an ongoing conversation that has empowered me. I have felt so desperate today. and yesterday just looking for something to make me fell a little bit better.

I think biggest thing for me is feeling all of this pain and thinking that im the only one that knows what it feels like. Im glad that both of you are okay and found a way to deal with this.

To everyone that is reading this and are looking for a way to quit Vicodin ...im telling you....go cold turkey. Every chance you get read an addiction forum and drink a glass of wine. I was up to 4500 mg a day and now im feeling fine in my 3rd day without pills.

A glass of wine? That works wonderfully except for the fact that you risk transfering one addiction to another. That's what I did before. I ended up drinking all the time instead! Getting a prescription would be a relief because then I wouldn't have to drink; and drinking would be a relief because then I wouldn't have to worry about getting pills. It's all the same thing - addiction to mind-altering substances, no matter what form they come in!
kt
Hi Cammie, haven't heard from you for awhile. How are you doing?
Thank you for your input. 4500 mg a day for a year?? I'm guessing you meant 400-500 mg, as a regular vicodin tablet contains 5 mg. of hydrocodone. Or maybe you were referring to the tylenol ingredient. That's 500 per tablet. Anyway, how many pills were you taking a day? I'm thinking that tapering by just taking one pill whenever withdrawal symptoms appear, that occurring less and less often, would be the answer. I don't know. I went without for three days then Wed got a refill, with the intention of tapering. I'm not doing so great. I've taken 10 each day so far. So now I have 30 to taper with. My intentions are good, I just keep saying "just two more".
i have been taking vicodin for 1 year and I am really ready to stop but i just don't know if i can. I have a chronic knee problem and i am awaiting surgery in sept. But I am really beating myself up over this i have two children  and I need to be there for them not wd in front of them I tried once and the pain and vomiting and no sleep it was terrible I am scared to do it. And it is Saturday and I want to start tommarrow but I have my inlaws coming to the house next friday night will I be okay by them. Have any of you tried that sobroxe
If you were able to not touch anything until next friday you will be able to at least fake the fact that you are ok. I was on Day 5 when my girlfriend came to town and a few times shed say i looked sad or something the first few days but i just kinda shrugged it off and tried my best to seem happy..you would be closer to a week by then and although everyone is different i think you will be fine..its gonna be a long week though, you need to be prepared for that..luckily you and i caught our dependence early.i think im on day 20 or something and i feel great..anyway i wouldnt use suboxone if you dont need it because its addicting as well and you will inevitably crave as soon as you stop suboxone..im telling you your ready for this, the only problem is what will you do after surgery? if you can quit by then and you can have someone hold your pills and give them to you as directed i would imagine you would be ok..i mean ill never do an oxy again but if i have a major surgery i probably will have to take vicodin or something but i will just do it as directed and then throw them away as soon as i feel i dont need them anymore. anyway how much were you taking, because thats really important?
PLEASE READ THIS POSTING!!!
I Thank each and everyone of you for being brave enough to post these comment!
I sit here crying thinking about how much i relate to each and every one of you, i'm embarassed I let this addiction to Vicodin take over my life.
I was always the person who spoke out against drugs having to brothers addicted to drugs i always told myself i would never touch them. after i had a c-section and my doctor perscribed me vicodin i took it i didnt see it as a drug! i mean doctors cant give anything thing that is dangerous. LOL i have been telling myself this same thing for the last two years everytime i pop one of those white pills in my mouth.
My days start out rough I take one in the morning so I can get ready for school i tell myself its because my body hurts but really i get this ephuria feeling from the pills. i time it out if school starts at nine i'll take a pill at eight about an 20 min to an hour after i take each pill i feel like life is the best. then about an hour and a half into it i feel irritable, and sad what i was just excited about an hour ago, now i dont even want to talk about. its terrible these pills have stole  my life, i make any excuse to take them. and when i run out i create all these health reasons to get more. i'm pathetic. i'm losing my husband are sex life is terrible i never want to do it i rather take a pill and watch t.v for hours. my son is so sad when i can't take him to the park or outside. i'm so short tempered, i'm not considerate towards my husband or is feelings i love him and dont want him to leave but i have been hurting him for two years with these EVIL pills. I need help how can I stop taking these pills? do other people get this "high" feeling? anyone else loose interest in sex? how can i wean myself? i need someone to talk to? please help? I just took two i need to stop!!!!!!!
i too have been addicted to vicodin for the past two years. i am weeks away from having my second child, the ob said it was okay to use but never really said how many. i have to take in the am when i get up as my neck hurts the worst when i try to sleep at night. but then find myself wanting to take more and more throughout the day. i have terrible pain in my neck from several car accidents with whiplash injury. i have tried other things like massage, chiropractic, with no relief. i was also prescribed valium for the muscle relaxant which i have been not using due to the pregnancy. i do want to quit taking them also but am afraid of the withdrawal symptoms.
I was reading all of these posts, I too have been taking vicodin everyday! I started really taking them a year ago for the euphoric feeling & energy they gave me. They helped me at work make it through the day. Then I stopped cold turkey taking them for awhile cause they were costing me too much money. I am a single parent with no degree so I dont make a lot of money. But of course I began taking them again. It just depends on how many, I usually take a whole pill in the morning mixed with a green monster-energy drink. Then as the day progress's I take more, & more, & moreeeeeeeeee.............Every monday I get paid & go buy them off a dealer. I am angry that I do it. I considered doing cocaine for  week or so just to get off the vicodin & energy drinks. yea! I know! crazy right!!!! But what else can I do, I normally have no energy. So why not do coke to stop the other. ?????
get off immediately i have been on for 5 years and doubt I will survive it.
6 months is not much you can get off probably 3 or 4 days of suffering take hot baths, asprin, try to sleep as much as possible.
im 26 years old,ive been taking vics for over 3 yrs now.i didnt need it for anything,just started taking them.but what started as a 1/2 of one a day is now 15 a day. i have 3 beatuiful,and boyfriend who is there but isnt,its hard.i have no moral support.and i cannt go to rehad.
its breaking me.when i dont have them i turn into a major B!
i stopped a few months ago with the help of suboxen but they made me sick and i went back to the vics.im affraid of the w/d. if i could be by myself for 5 days i would have no problem.but i cant.
and i dnt know what to do. my email is yvnn_fltchr83***@****
any advice is greatly appreciated
I have a bad hydro addiction I recently lost a daughter to these things Im trying to get started now with giving these up but some words of wisdomwould sure help
I am a 37 yr. old mother of 7, 5 still at home, I have been addicted to those little devils for about 4-5 years, not sure because of the memory loss that comes along with them. I am married but not for long come feb 8th because of the drug abuse, which I cant blame him. Vicodin has put an emotional and financial strAIN ON MY WHOLE FAMILY, AND MY KIDS SUFFER THE MOST, AND I LOVE THEM TO DEATH, BUT BECAUSE OF THE ADDICTION, I CANT STOP!  Vicodin withdrawel is like withdrawing from herion because it has the same ingredient, therefore; the cold turkey thing may be okay for some, but dangerous for others like myself, I will need medical attention as well as support. I am so glad to hear from people like myself, and I pray that everyone gets their lives back, and I will keep all of you updated on my situation as well. signed: fighting4mylifeback!!!!
I'm 30 years old and just had a second back surgery. 2+ months of 5/500mg Vicodin about 10 times a day. I had surgery 9 days ago where I was prescribed 70 pills of Norco which I ran out of 2 days ago. So, 10 pills a day of that for 7 days.
I'd estimate 3 months of slightly higher than prescribed usage. I will say I was using them beyond what my pain called for. Before being prescribed the pills, I was drinking too much, feeling bad all of the time, neglecting my responsibilities.
Now that I have been on the pills, I am getting everything done without "forcing" myself too, work performance has been great, I haven't had a drop to drink, I just feel good most of the time.
I did however notice I was short with people and that my intake had been gradually increasing. I realized I was addicted to the pills. It's difficult for me to understand because I was on the pills for 6 months with my previous surgery and have no recollection of withdrawal. It may have been that I didn't understand it and passed it off as illness.
I am posting because I was looking for someone who was experiencing withdrawal symptoms with such short-term usage. When I close my eyes I can feel my heart beating through my eyelids. I have diarrhea and sweats as others have mentioned. I'm at work right now without any ability to concentrate and have gotten nothing done. I'm fortunate it is a Friday and will have the weekend to get over this.
I want to explain to people that these symptoms do not just exist with people who have been abusing for years. I truly sympathize with those who have been on these for a greater period of time than myself because this is nearly unbearable. I just called my Dr. about 30 minutes ago and told him that my pain is gone and I am quitting the pain pills he has prescribed and, even if I call back, not to prescribe me any because I am addicted to them. I suggest doing this to others as well. Do it when you are motivated. It's easier to cope with the self debate when you know you can't just call and get more.
To those of you who are saying people would not understand and that you have no one to talk to, I certainly hope your perception of the people who love you is wrong. It's easy to feel this way but the reality is you are too proud to tell them. Trust me, this will bring you closer and they will certainly do what they can to help you.
I sure do hope to hear some more positive stories and thank you.
I saw the support u gave to cammine222. I hope u r still clean. This is my third day cold turkey from vikes.. Sleep is hard to come by.. But I pray u r still doing well.
OMG im going through the sdame thing but its worse , i eat Ritalin kolonapin . and two other drugs including i eat about 7-8 1000 narco at a time maybe twice a day .  i just lost my insurance.   I didnt know what was going on , i havent slept in since monday and its saturday already.   NO SLEEP. PERIOD , NOT AN HOUR < NOT 5 miuntes . NONE , im twitchin like a crack head , i cant stop shaking , i studor when i talk now.  all together this has been my 8th day and im hurting really bad since last monday.  so past 3-4 days have been super bad.  i was honestly going to call and get  maybe 10 or 20 and taper myserlf , at least take one cause its soooooo bad.  thank god i have the oprotunity to stay at home and fight this.  any suggestions pleaese.  excuse the bad typeing pleaese, im shaking really bad.
theres no way to sleep.UGHHHHH
hey CAMIE222

Its been years since your lasts post , are you guys still doing ok
What is the Thomas Recipe? I have been addicted to Vicoden for 1 yr. I take about 8-5/500 daily. It's always on my mind. I'm so embarassed, also. Nobody in my family knows about this. Here I am...a 55 yr. old divorced mother of a 11 yr. old. She totally deserves better. I moved here to Ca. to take care of my parents. This is so overwhelming, I feel as if I can't stand it anymore. I ask the Dr. for Suboxone, and he wouldn't give it. I'm so tired of hiding this addiction. any one out there?
you have posted on an older thread.  We will help, but to be seen by as many as possible...go up to the top and click on  the orange ask a question icon.  Copy and paste your post and that will start a NEW thread that is not at the end of an old post and others will see it and help.  Glad you found us.
This is an active group and you will get help.

I'm trying not to tear up while writing this, but you put perfectly in to words what I've been going thru! I'm an actor/comedian & I have completely dropped out from performing anymore or even keeping up with friends from the field. I LIVE to sleep. It seems my only/best reward right now. As soon as I get home from work... BAM! right into bed I fall asleep.
I am so glad this was here on the internet!  I have decided once and for all that I will not let these pills have power over me.  I took my last half of vicoprofen, which is 7.5/200.  This is it! No more unless I get them on the street and I don't want to do that....I just pray and try relaxation techniques to get through this difficult time.