Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Signs of liver damage?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Signs of liver damage?

Can you tell me of any visible signs of having liver damage as a result of years of overuse of Tylenol-based meds?  I cannot go to my physician with this question, he is too close to my family which has no clue of my problem. I think the shame and guilt feed the addiction. I know you will advise that my family will be supportive , but I've seen first hand that they have no tolerance for drug use in anybody, especially one in the family who was brave enough to step forward and ask for help. She was immediately "branded" and literally dismissed. Of course, she was hooked on needle dope, which is a little different , but we are still in need of help. I have thought of just "disappearing" to go on a short vacation and seek some treatment anonymously, I have no insurance, and wouldnt know where to begin. Can you help?
THank you for such an informative website.
I sympathise with your situation, but you gotta tell someone!

It'll be too easy to start up again if you quit on your own. Believe me, I've done it before many times.

If they reject you because you owned up to your addiction it's they that have a problem - not you.

I recently told my wife about by codiene addiction. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. With her support hopefully I can quit for good this time.

Good luck!
i am 43 years old, with a choronic history of addiction, alcohal (alcohol), cocaine, herion, prescripsion drugs pot, lsd,speed,ect. i have been through a 90 day inpaitaint program,compleated in 1994. i stayed sober for 2 and a half years.i made a choice to use on and of again for 4 years. i dont belive in aa or na. i am looking for alternitives to recovery,
Hi Don,

There are alot of people who do not believe in NA or AA for lots of reasons... I am neutral on this aince there are many paths to healing in my opinion.

Do a net search on Smart Recovery and Rational Recovery which are each trademarked names for their philosophies on arresting addictions. But you can't just read the web site and think you're going to get better... you have to get involved in a recovery lifestyle and mindset of some sort. We all know of people who did it on their own and one thing sticks out in my mind from speaking to them.. they attribute it to God. A strong and consistent application of sprituality and personal spiritual development are the answer for many. I got a documentary video at the library once.. I think it was City of Hope or City of Love... it was about a woman missionary from England who went to China and worked in the streets for years with addicts... she got them into a faith belief system which they had not had before.. the success rate was pretty amazing. Regardless of the methods used one thing is clear, you have to make lifestyle changes to go along with your new mental or spiritual philosophies. I hope this helps a  litte. Good luck.
A lot of people do not want the AA or related programs.However, they do seem to have one of the best success rates.They do require a lot of personal work and honesty and a belief in God or a higher Power. Many people do not want to really face themselves on all levels of their lives and continually set themselves up for failure. So basically, as a recovering alcoholic, prescription pill addict, I found I had to completely change my way of thinking and looking at the world. Fortunately, I did have a stong faith and that really helped me to begin a recovery. Today my life is so full and I feel so free. I have lots of interests and a loving family. So, God bless you and I hope you will find a path to peace of mind.

2 1/2 years sober and no desire to go back to where I was before.
I was taking the medicine Rezulin for over two years. I would like to know the signs of liver damage and other  problems it may cause ?
I have been taking Rezulin for two years What are the signs of liver damage ?
i need to know  signs

of the liver in the last stage before transplant
husband is on the list for one year.
I have been taking Vicodin now for about 1 year. I only take between 3 and 6 in a day with one Soma. I was doing it for a back injury and then just never stopped. I have stopped taking it for days and even weeks but always end up going back. I am now taking 3 vicodin and 1 soma at a time once to sometimes twice a day. I know it is not a lot but still worry about liver damage and the addition. Just looking for advice as to should I stop cold turkey and what are the chances for Liver Damage now?
I am 15 years old. I have abused about every pill you can get high off of. You name it. I am currently an outpatient in a rehab-like program. I have concerns. I would normally take 35 vicodin every day. Its really a miracle i'm still alive. I might have liver damage, hell, i probably do. but what are the symptoms of liver damage? I currently have a lot of healing to do, and have many other meetings and appointments, and do not have a lot of room for an appointment to the doctor. Help please!
Glad to hear your in a program of recovery.  I don't think there are any symptoms until you've done quite a lot of damage to your liver.  Things like pain, jaundice, bloat.  You may have done a little damage to your liver but the good news is the liver regenerates.  Meaning, it will heal.  If you quit abusing pills and stay away from alcohol, your liver will be good as new.  Stay with your program and post any other questions.  Good luck!