Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Suboxone Doctor Experience

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Suboxone Doctor Experience

I did a lot of research last week trying to find a doctor who took my insurance and could prescribe Suboxone. I was successful, or so I thought.
I got to the "doctor's" office on Wed. morning at 10:30. They had me fill out the insurance and Hippa papers and got a copy of my insurance card and photo ID. Ten minutes later, they took my $30 copay. A few minutes later I was taken into the room. The "doc" came in and asked why I was there. I informed him of my opiate abuse and that I was in withdrawal and wanted to talk about Suboxone treatment. He didn't say a word, just walked out of the room. A minute later, the billing person came into the room and said that they didn't take any insurance for SUB treatment. Now remember, this "doc" is a network provider for my insurance company. I asked how I could be reimbursed for the $300 first evaluation and she said I could send the receipts for the treatment to the insurance company.
I pay the $300 by Credit Card. Thiry minutes later the "doc" comes back in and asks a few questions about my abuse, history, etc. He thinks I am not in withdrawal yet. This after 15 hours without Percocet. NOw he wants me to come back on Thursday to get the treatment. That will be another $200. Then he tells me to bring someone with me who can take the script to the pharmacy and get the two weeks of SUB. LOL. They can't even give me the starter dose for $500. SO, I am leaving and stop at the front desk. I ask for the receipt for the "treament", which lasted 5 minutes, and they told me to send in the CC receipt to the insurance company. LOL. I am sure the Ins. company would reimburse me with a CC receipt.
I decided not to return today. I am feeling a lot better today, with really no W/D symptoms other than a little cough. No diarrhea, no shakiness, no watery eyes, just a little exhausted.
I hope not all "docs" are like these burglars. I was under the impression that if I doc signed a contract to be a network provider, he must bill the ins. co. for all services. That is the reason he is in the network. To make him more accessible to his patients. His patient rooms were filty with dirt caked on the examination tables, it looked like they hadn't been even wiped off in years. I was really disappointed in the entire mess.
Anyway, I contacted my insurance company for reimbursement forms and they say the doc MUST file these claims or there is no reibursement.
I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT THE ENTIRE SITUATION.
I think you have made a great decision....I've w/d so many times I cant count. I think the hardest part you've been through now you have to deal with the mental end. I know I'm on day 2 living through it yet again even going to work. Good luck to you
HI there, You need to find a different Doctor that will understand what you are going though, he sounds like he loves your money and he is going about his business in the wrong unethical way too.  I hope you can find the right Doctor ask friends do research and call them first before you go,ask questions as in do they take your insurance and bill the insurance instead of you having to pay.  I have chronic back and leg pain and take pain meds for 2 years and want so badly to get off of them.  I have tried to get off of them but the back and leg pain with the withdrawels are terrible.  After reading everyone one on here i am more confident about using something else and stopping the narcotic.  I hope you find the Doctor that will and hope you become drug free.
You've already made it over 2 days! This is just my opinion, but plz stay the course and avoid the suboxone. From what I've read, sub should be considered an option after other options have been exhausted. Hang in there ... the worst is behind you!
I wish you were near my area I would have one of the lawyers call that Dr. for you..what a piece of garbage
That dr should be reported......
I have an appointment monday,regarding suboxone treatment for loratab dependancy,like you I am going to a doctor that is in my insurances network. I spoke with them on the phone and they asured me that biling my insurance is no problem,we will see what happens monday. I will let you know what happens.
I am sorry to hear that this happened to you.  What a ****** feeling, to go in, bar your soul and be treated like that.

Anyone able to recommend what one can do to prevent this type of thing in the future?  

Also, any one recommend a Dr. for Sub in LA?
Contact your insurance's patient advocate. I went through something similar. It took months to straighten out but I finally *won*. The offending doctor blocked me at every path, doing everything he could do to keep me from being reimbursed. I finally sent him a certified letter stating my intention to take him to small claims court for the amount of the refund.

Not to shortly after that, I got notification of reimbursement and a check for the co-pay. Keep in mind that before you go to this step, you have to show good faith that you've made every effort to take the proper path, following the rules. Document EVERYTHING. Every call, every visit. I even taped  one or two conversations with a mini-recorder for court, if I got there.

I don't know if you have the time for this, or even want to bother. I did it out of pure vindictiveness. I don't care for being lied to, cheated, and treated in a sub-human fashion by doctors who partake in nearly criminal behavior myself. I probably spent twice as much money pursuing it as I got back. But it WAS satisfying.
Hello people this was posted in March.. gjgjgjgj isn't even on the site anymore..
i live in charleston, sc and found out about suboxone over two years ago.  i was hooked on lortab up to 75 10mg. per day purchased on internet.  the doctors here are the best!!!!  caring, understanding and compassionate.  wish they were all that way.  this medication saved my life.  
hey im a 19 year ld kid and i have been on herion for awhile i really like suboxone but i can only get them from  other friends so when they dont have any i go back to my old ways...so can someone tell me do u have to pay 300 everytime you see the doc and pay for the meds at the pharacey? im from newyork anybody plz im sick of this life