Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Taper off hydrocodone?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Taper off hydrocodone?

I have ankylosing spondylitis, which causes a lot of pain in my back, neck and ribs.  I think I can manage the pain with ibuprofen alone, and I want to quit the hydrocodone.  I'm so glad I found this great website.  It's a good feeling knowing there are other people with the same problem.  Here's my question - I'm hoping I can taper down the hydrocodone and avoid a lot of the withdrawal symptoms.  For a while I was taking 10 Vicoprofen pills at a time.  I only take it once per day, in the morning.  I cut it down to 7 pills, and by the next morning my body is letting me know it wants more, mainly with anxiety.  If I stay at 7 pills, will my system eventually find that to be an adequate amount?  And then will I be able to go down to 6 pills and get used to that, then 5 pills, etc.?  I'm hoping I can taper down in this way and avoid the cold turkey symptoms.  Thanks in advance for all responses.
I am managing the ankylosing spondylitis on my own without the help of a doctor.  The disease is still active, but like I said, I think I can manage the pain without the hydrocodone.  At this point I'm taking the hydrocodone mainly because I'm physically dependant on it.  52.5 mg of hydrocodone daily is just slightly less than my body needs to be completely satisfied.  If I stay at that dose, will I eventually acclimate to it, to the point where I don't have these minor withdrawal symptoms (slight anxiety and irritability)?  If so, will I then be able to reduce it to 45 mg daily until my body is satisfied with that dose?  Can I just keep tapering in 7.5 mg steps and completely wein myself off of the hydrocodone with no serious withdrawal symptoms?  I understand this gets harder to do as the dose gets smaller.  Should I break the tablets in half and taper in 3.75 mg steps?  I'm sure there are people reading this who have tried this, and I would appreciate hearing about your experiences.
RogerW, the taper method you refer to is how we got off the tabs. The slower the better is what I have been told. We began breaking them in half and thirds towards the end. We still went thru the WD's but I believe that tapering rather than CT worked for us. It has only been 15 completely free days, but 15 days are better than none.
Roger, Yes I agree that the taper method is by far the best. I was taking 75mg Hydro daily in one dose on an empty stomach. Tried to quit twice CT and chickened out both times about 36 hours into it. Then I went to a taper method 3days of 30mg twice a day. Then I dropped 15 mg every 3 days till I hit 15mg. After that I dropped 3.75mg every 3 days till it was gone.

A big help I had was my wife. I gave her all of the pills and let her disperse them and in the end flush what was left.

Even with this gentle of a taper I had a rough 4-5 days but it can be done!! 19 days off them today. Good Luck - You are making a very wise choice.

I will have to agree with what I have read.  And yes, your body will become accustomed to its new dose.  You have a sound plan.  The biggest thing about tapering is sticking to it.  Actuall, it is the hardest thing.  Stay disciplined and you will do fine.  Don't expect to skate, though.  Nobody gets a free ride.
well in my opinion, the tapering method working depends on the specific individual. I went to my dr and confessed my addiction to vicodin ES, and he agreed to help me by using a supervised tapering. 10 pills for 5 days, 7 pills for 5 days, 5 pills for 5 days, 3 pills for 5 days, 1 pill for 30 days was the plan. I made it down to the 5 stage before I knew it was not going to work. I am an addict. So I was taking the meds to get high, not taking them to keep the withdrawals away and get my body used to taking less. So I would take 5 at a time, till I ran out.
But if you can do it, more power to you!
: )
I think the tapering method for decreasing one's hydrocodone use, ie lorcets, lortabs, is not very successful.
I have known many people who have just "been using 3-4" pills(up to #100) a day for either chronic pain or other reasons.  Since we are all human, the unfortunate evidence is that any more than 10-20 days of straight use will cause some sort of physical and/or mental withdrawal symtoms (symptoms).  Its uncomfortable and even if accomplished leaves you with chronic fatigue like feeling, and at times depression, anxiety and sleep problems.  I notice the people that are most successful, utilize Buprenorphine to stabilize completely off of hydrocodone and then within 6-12 weeks taper completely off of Buprenorphine.  Throughout all of the studies I have read, the chemical make-up of Buprenorphine is less invasive to the mu-kappa systems and thus the success and approval by the Addiction Medicine community and the Government. Find a certified outpatient Buprenorphine provider in your local medical community.
How come people aren't trying suboxone, the new alternative?  It works great.  Has anyone else tried it?
I detoxed myself from Vidodin quite a few times.  Take 1 or 2 as needed.  It's silly to wean with a specific schedule.  I would also suggest waiting at least 1 hour from taking the 1 or 2 for them to kick in.  You may also want to consider using percosette as vicidin ES has 750mg tylonol in it, which at 7 a day is above the 4g (4000mg) per day recomended limit.  Perc's only have 325mg.  Good luck

Chris
wow,i thought i was all alone here! notthat i'm gad others aresuffering, it just helps to know i'm not some kind of drug-freak. i've had lupus for about 8-10 years and i also had spinal fusion and hip surgery 1 yr. and 1/2 ago. all togethr i've been taking hydros for about 5-7 yrs straight! i had no clue until this past year thy were addictive! and i'd insist i wasn't "hooked" yeah until i'd run out early and be freaking for more, i've tried detoxing myself numerous times, i can never get past day 2 w/out freaking out. my doc has no clue how hookedi am, i only just realized my self sortof and i'm sortof still in denial. b.t.w. what is suboxone?
Hey...love your handle - made me smile!  Believe me - you're definetly NOT alone.  With your med problems, it seems you have a legitimate reason to take the meds, but you're very wise to realize the addictive nature of these little pearls. Hope things work out with you; just wanted to offer support.  About the Bup question, will leave that to ones who can offer first hand advice.  Take care, Lisabet
i WANT EVERYONE OUT THERE TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT BAD PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU ARE ADDICTED TO THESE DRUGS. I HAVE BEEN TAKING NARCOTICS FOR 6 YEARS FOR MIGRAINES ( ORWHATEVER I COULD COME UP WITH) I AM MORE THAN READY TO COME OFF THEM. I HOPE I CAN FIND A DOCTOR WHO WILL WORK WITH ME TO GET OFF THESE DRUGS SLOWLY OR WITH THE HELP OF SUBUTEX. ANY SUGGESTIONS? ( sT. lOUIS, mO. AREA)
My husband began taking lorcet plus about 1.5 yrs ago for back pain due to injury in a car accident in 2001. He is now taking 3-4 per day. It is hard for him to get out of bed each day and surgery has been mentioned as an option to relieve his pain.
I am terrified he is getting addicted to lorcet/hydrocodone. He is a recovering alcoholic/drug addict (7 years). I am so afraid this will be devastating. He is also afraid of this medicine but doesn't know what to do to handle his back pain. Any suggestions for non-addictive medicine to help?
His personality is changing, so this is really urgent that we do something. I know it's the lorcet doing this to him.
I'm scared.
I am trying to taper off Lorcet. I am currently taking about 15 a day and when I try to cut down I get very nervous and anxous and take more, can you tell me how to do this right. Please, I am 30 years old and have 2 small children and I know this is controlling my life and I hate myself but I just cant seem to do this. I appreciate any and all comments. Thank you.
Hi Trace - I too have a vicodin habit.  I was taking up to 12 pills (10/325) a day (accompanied by a few shots of Jack Daniels)....after coming on to this forum and sponging up all the posts, I've tapered down to 4-6 pills a day currently.  Tapering works for some people, but for most cold turkey seems to be the best way.  Please search the forum for the Thomas recipe.  People absolutely swear by it, for lessening the withdrawals.  Please know you're not alone in your struggle, there's more people than you know going through the same thing you are right now.  (Hint: post on a top thread - it's Ok to bust a thread, since it's kinda hard to post a question...that way more people see your posts and will respond).  Good luck, Tracer - there's a lot of people here that wants to help and share their experiences.  My advice would be read-read-read...this is what I did for months before I got the nerve up to post. It's hard enough to raise two small children, much less battle a vicodin addiction.  Hang in there, sweetheart. Love, Lisabet
I was once 400 lbs and couldn't loose weight. I opted for stomach stapeling 6 years ago. Before the stapeling I never so much as took an asprin for a migraine. After the stapeling I was sent home with vicodin and didn't take it for a couple of days cause I just did not like pills. It wasn't until one day that I couldn't get out of bed to go to the bathroom I was in so much pain, that I opted to take the pain meds and when they kicked in and worked and I could move, I took them as prescribed to get me trough this horrible pain that lasted for what seemed like months. I was in and out of surgery every month, twice a month for incisional hernias that busted out all the time. So I was left on vicodin for 3 straight years and had no idea not knowing about drugs anyhow, the effects of addiction that were to come. My doctor then took me off of them cold turkey, I thought no problem it was then I realized when my body wouldn't accept that and the horrible pain of withdrawl (withdrawal) I went through that I was an addict. So for 6 years now I have done and pulled everything to stay on them to keep from withdrawling. I was even arrested for calling in a fake script for myself using someone elses name. I want to get off this killer drug before it ruins my life. I even stooped to have my boyfriend go to the hospital and fake illness to get them and he was recently caught in that and arrested because of me. I need to get off this drug, it is ruining my life. I have a good man and kids and I want to keep him and them and get my life back to the time when I didn't know what it was like to need pills and didn't need a pill to get up out of bed or I couldn't function. I can go about 1 day and then on day 2, it gets so bad I can't take it no more. Also I did come off them a few months ago and was off for 2 weeks and had a sever car accident that almost killed me and was put on vicodin for months for all the broken bones I had, so I was back to square one. I have no insurance and no means to pay a doctor. Most doctors that find out you are addicted don't care or don't do anything to help you or tell you to go to a drug program where all they do is talk and an addict needs more then that or they wouldn't be trying to find ways to quit, it is the withdrawls that are unbearable not talking that makes it better. Anyone that could help would be appreciated. By the way in a one day period I take anywhere from vicodin 5/500 about 4 to start and every half hour one tablet for about 3 to 4 more pills depending on what I have or I take Norco 10/325 about 3 and then every half hour another half for about as many as up to 12 total, I do this 2 to 3 times a day, depends on what I have on hand at the time. I just want to quit
i have been taking lortabs for about 2 years now,i am addicted but i only do about 5 a day,i got a bad problem with snorting the pills,i want to get off them but i dont know how,if anyone has any suggestions to help me......thanks
I am one of those people who can not taper.l  I am in day 5 of c/t right now.  If I had pills I took them at least 20 per day.  In may I  tried to detox and got valium and took al the valium in one day so I could sleep.  Day 5 isn't too bad.  I do have an appointment tomorrow at the sub. doctor so I may give that a try.

Right now I still have cravings for pills, I'm just not acting on them.  I'm laying in bed with my laptop and really feel kay since the coffee is out of my system.  I advise everyone not to drink coffee during withdrawals because it made my stomach fliop and I was overwhelmed with anxiety.

Every one has their own system and as long as the end result is the same what differance does it make.
methadone will help all of you kick... its what they use to kick heroin... methadone/methadose will help....but careful not to get hooked on those!
  Very interesting to find this site (I was searching Hydocodone withdrawal).I've been taking Norco (30 mgs at a time) for awhile now.I've been trying to stop taking them but quickly lose my resolve.Right now as I type this, I'm staring at the spot where my pill bottle used to sit.
I've been up for only 3 hours and its been a constant struggle to not dig them out of the cabinet where I stashed em.
What the hell,I'll come back next week when my prescription runs out.
Would you say I'm addicted if I'm only taking a half to one pill a day of 10/500 mg of Lortab? I'm not in denial or anything...I feel like I am addicted but when I read about all these other people taking 4 or more a day I don't feel as bad off as them. What do you think?
What are you taking them for??   only you can say you are addicted to them... It doesn't matter how many you take. Its the the behavoirs surrounding what you take..
What do you mean by 'the behaviors surrounding what you take'?  Are you addressing the motivations of what compels people to take the drugs... IE to get high as opposed for pain relief?  I myself have taken Norco for several years but never outside of what is prescribed.  Moreoften than not, however, I ask myself whether I am medicating actual pain from my back problem or staving off pain from my addiction problem.  I started a taper program last week - today is day 9 and i'm taking 2 10/325's daily.  I know that isn't much but its down from 6 daily.  Does it matter if I take all the pills at one time in the AM or should I break them up and take the dose over the course of the entire day?
That is what I meant but its not as simple as just the motivations. Behavoirs such as doctor shopping, running out long before refill time, going through peoples medicine cabinets, those are for sure ways to tell if you are an addict.  Then there are ones like not eating before taking a pill so it hits you harder, or taking several at once. But it really does come down to whether you think you are an addict.
Great job weaning down to 2 from 6. Most people can't taper if they have them they take them. I would suggest you break them up and take them throughout the day. It will make it easier to taper further. In fact I would break those 2 in half and take one half 4 x per day, then one half 3 times per day then 2x ect. Some people fine that their pain is better off of pills, pills do "create pain" since out natural endorphins are not firing. I was not one of those people . I really hoped that my pain was not worse without pills, but we play the hand we are dealt. Now I am pill free and learning how to deal with pain other ways.
I had taken Hydrocodone for well over a year and a half.  When I noticed I was feeling like **** all the time, I decided to quit cold turkey.  That was a very rough 3 weeks, but I made it.  A year or so later the Dr. talked me into taking them again.  I'm now taking
4 - 10/500 pills a day.  And I'm thinking about stopping again, but not cold turkey.  My Dr. says he's going to start a program for me of reduction, but he better get to it.  They gave me a 30 day supply on 10/9/07, and they think 11/9/07 works out to 30 days.  It's not, the 30 day supply ran out 11/7/07,  that leaves me 2 days without.  I can't get them to count the days on a calender.
My wife has been taking hydros for 2 years now. I have just now recently noticed how bad her problem has gotten. Now when she runs out, she swaps out with her loser cousins loser wife, who by the way she never would have socialized with if it wasn't for this addiction. She has now started lying to me about how many she's taking or the amount of $ she spends on them. When she doesn't have them, she has plenty of loser cousins who are more than happy to help her. She recently found a doctor several towns away (about 50 miles) that will prescribe her MORE than enough to last her (90 10mg prescribed 3x a day for 30 days). I have finally convinced her that she has a problem, but I don't know what to do to help her quit. I know she won't quit until she wants to, but how bad does it have to get before she gets to that point? I'm just scared and clueless what to do. I love her so much.
why did the doctor prescribe them for her?
She has neuropathy in her back. Don't ask me what that means but it causes her pain. She says the only other alternative is surgery and she doesn't want to go that route. After typing my blog last night I talked to her and asked her if I could start going to the doctor with her because I feel like I have been neglectful of her medical needs. To this she became defensive because she was afraid I would say something to let the doctor know she was addicted to the hydros.
You should try and get her help ASAP before it's too late.

If she is beyond addicted to them and will get very sick if she does not have any, then I suggest for you to look into Suboxone for her.You can find a doc that prescribes it here ---> http://www.suboxone.com/patients/resources/find_a_doctor.aspx

I'm addicted to hydro and have been for a few too many years now. I started taking them because of a Spine injury and was hooked before I even knew it. Well I am very lucky, for one I have a wife that understands and for two my doctor that prescribes me Lorcets is now set up to prescribe Suboxone!

On my next visit I will be starting the Suboxone program. I know a few people that are already on it and from what I can see, it works very well. It does however cost a good bit of money, but to have your wife back is simply priceless!

Wish you & yours all the best!
And keep her away from her cousins as much as you can.
I have been taking hydro for over a year. I'm a big cluts so i get hurt often. Started taking them after i fell down my front porch steps. I used to take probable up to 8-10 a day. Few months ago i just started  taking less, and now maybe 3-4 if that/if i have them, I can tell im taking them to cope with all the bull **** in my life now. I know im getting hookd and my family doctor doesnt even know( i'm taking them). My question is should i tell my doctor? Will he help or just critasize me. I do not want to be addicted to anything! Hate the feeling of getn off of those. If anyone has any advice id be very grateful.
I've been taking 3 5/500 vicodins a day and want to get off of them again.  I used to be an addict I took 16 vicoprofens a day like 3 years ago, My doctor weaned me from 4 to 0 and I remember feeling like **** for two weeks and also had klonopin to get my mind off of it.  So now I've been taking the 3 for like 3 months and its time to quit my back pain is not gonna get any better so its time to deal with it.  I found last time that Ibuprofen was my answer to pain relief.  I need to know if it is safe to just quit cold turkey being that Im not taking that much 15mg of hydro a day?  I don't have any klonopin to take my mind off of it, so its gonna be hard, is there any over the counter supplements to keep my mind at ease, and the irritability away I would appreciate any information and answers anyone could give me thanks a lot.
I posted last week and said I wouldn't post again, except I feel the need to help now as I'm getting my "head" back.

Due to back surgery I ramped up to using pain killers (Norco 10/325) to a point where I was taking between 6-8 and sometimes 12/day.  I went through all the **** with running out and trying to figure out where to get more.  My doc would fill the script but my insurance wouldn't cover it because it was a refill too soon.  I came out of pocket a few time for around $50 to get them.  It was at the point where I said to myself that enough is enough.  I'm 48, have a wife and son who were not becoming the center of my life; the pills were.  I put the hammer down and called my personal physician, went in to see him and told him what was going on.  I asked that he put me on a taper program, which he agreed to do.  I told him to call my Ortho and tell them not to, under any circumstances fill any more scripts' for me.

He started me out with Hydrocodone 7.5/325 x 5/day for 6 days. Yesterday he dropped me one pill (4/day) for 8 days (because I'll be on vacation).  The first 3 1/2 days (last week) of the taper sucked a bit but I adjusted to the new amount pretty quick.  I had alot in my system and needed to get back to the prescribed amount in my body.  Now I'm literally bounding out of bed at 6 am and not dragging myself out like I used to.  It was like all the energy that I wasn't using was now available.  With the one pill drop yesterday, today I'm feeling a little funny but I'm doing really well as I know I'll adjust in another day or so.

Here are some of the other things I can recommend to you to help with the loss of energy and withdrawal symptoms and most importantly the cravings...

-I went to the local Vitamin Shoppe and purchased SAMe 400 mg.  It helps with mood and lessens the symptoms and make you smile a bit more and also give you a punch of sustained energy.
-When you start to really feel tired, 5 hour energy.  As advertised, good energy punch and no crash.
-I also purchased l-Tyrosol (sp).  Take one in the a.m. on a empty or semi-empty stomach.  It is an amino acid that gives you a really good energy punch.  Note:  the loss of energy is the worst thing for me.  I also take 40 mg. of Zoloft and have for quite a while (type A personality) which I'm sure helps with the symptoms which is an added bonus for me but have to be a bit careful on dosing with the Tyrosol as it plays with brain chemicals.  
-I went to a chiropractor who is detoxing me with accupuncture.  There are 3 points in the ear that detox the liver, lungs, and gall bladder with 1 other point to increase your energy and 1 other to eliminate the cravings.  I've gone once and the effects were amazing.  I go again this afternoon.  The accupuncture also helps with energy levels and he showed me press points on your ears that you can manipulate to increase your energy level and minimize the symptoms.  He also gave me a detox liquid that I take 3 times a day to clean myself out.  I literally don't have anymore cravings for the pills and only really need them to avoid the withdrawal symptoms related to getting off them.  For $30 per visit, its more than worth the benefit.

I feel better than I have a very long time.  I see more clearly, think more clearly and effectively, the pain that existed when I started coming off them is gone, which is another nasty effect of taking pain killers, they actually accentuate the pain and make it worse than it really is.

Every time I look at my wife and son I know why I'm doing it.  I kept it from my wife and took my lumps when I told her.  I opened up to every health care person I went to about my problem and told them everything and didn't hold back or try to shade the extent of my issues.  You will feel better when you fess up.

Good luck and God bless all of you fighting the bear.

Forget about all the "it will get better stuff".  Get a plan together, implement it and don't look back.  

ff100

taking hydorcodone 7.5 once a day is addiction?
I had a much worse habit than yours and I know from experience you CAN"T TAPER off hydrocodone after long periods of time. You need a program to quit. I used Suboxone, it saved my life. Tapering is just a nice way of wanting to halfway quit. Your boby chemistry has been altered by the pills and the only way to get it back is quit cold turkey and be patient for a year or try the sub program and be patient for a year. It takes about a year to get you body back in synch and working right again. That's per my treatment doctor, not me. I have almost 4 years now and it's so worth being clean if you can do it.
Best of luck to you!! Do some research, you'll find lots of ways to get help.
Has anyone tried the Thomas Recipe? do you know if it works?? I have been takin hydrocodone for about 2 yrs i used to only take half of one a day now im taking 3 or 4..im only 20 and i dont wanna be addicted to anything. i wanna try this thomas recipe..has anyone tried it?? HELP me please!
Hi, everyone.  As Elisabet suggested that many are embarassed to admit their addictions.  I have been taking about 2-4 norcos a day and, I am not abusing it, for it has not been prescribed, they're my Dad's, he gives some to me.  The reason being, I have a colon condition called Crohn's Disease, and it makes my colon get horribly inflammed, almost to the point where you can't find a way to stand up or or sit down in comfort.  Hydrocodone constipates my stomach, making it not get so inflammed because not as much food I eat is coming as fast.  So I've been semi-recreationally given these pills and they've worked for a longer time than I knew, this is about fourth month.  I just feel bad because I'm about to leave here for college and if I want to continue this self-treatment then I'd have to explain and win the confidence of a doctor and it's something I'm not really willing to do.  I have dealt with many psychiatric doctors at the beginning of high school, because I think faster than most other people, as I've learned, and this whole psychobabble about me being bipolar or ocd or scizophrenic or whatnot when they've finally come up with a diagnosis.  Savant-like bipolar.  So i've spent years before this on benzos and lithium.  I just don't want another disease or need of a medicine to isolate me even more, do you think stopping cold turkey with the help of 1mg of klonopin and 5 mg of valium, that i'd feel less withdrawal, because we all know there is withdrawal.
I have been on Norco (10mg Hydrocodone/325mg Tylenol) for going on 8 years. I have taken 8-12 daily for about the past 2 years (all doctor prescribed). I know that I can't quit cold turkey because occasionally I run out before it is time for a refill and I get what I call the "WAH-WAHS" (If you cup your hands over your ears and cover & release repeatedly it sort of replicates the feeling I get in my head) and practically go into siezures.
I am a single father of 2 and I have Chronic Deep Vein Thrombosis and have pretty bad pain in my leg from 6 bloodclots over the last 15 years. I obviously didn't start taking this high of a dose in the beginning, but my tolerance has just gone up & up & up. My doctor is about ready to stop the prescriptions and I know the tolerance and addiction are just going to continue to get worse. So I'm just trying to figure out a tapering plan to get me off of these things. I have 145 tabs left and need some tips on doing this. I've never been on any forum before this and was really surprised to find this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If you are going to take klonopin and/or valium, please, make sure not to take the Norco along with it or even near the same time, as the combination can be an actual killer. Many people have died from this combo. Good Luck!
I am so thankful that I found this site. I guess that I knew that I wasnt the only one, but damn, every story is sooooo simular to mine. Thats amazing. I have really became a Hydro Junkie. After a back surgery last year, I have been taking up to 20 10's a day. I have managed to swindle every doctor in town. I am having a serious problem quiting the hydro because I have aquired three, yes, three pain management specialist that each prescribe me 120 pills a month. I also have a ortho that prescribes 90 pills a month. I am really scared about my health and my relationships with everyone around me. I am really scared. I have recently tried to lower my dose daily, only because I am trying to make what I have left lastt until friday. This is pathetic!! I guess that I am here for a little support. I need to have the courage to talk to all of my doctors soon to end this all together. Anyones advice is greatly appreciated!!!!
you could get in big trouble if all these docs figure your doing all this doctor shopping. They have new ways to know even with phoney names different or no ins, That should be a motivation amoung other reasons that I'm sure you are aware of.
Doctors now have the ability to run a report each month and it will show them every doctor you are using and every pharmacy you are filling at so it is just a matter of time before you get caught. Get some help now before it comes to that. I was in your situation until a month ago and I found a doctor that will prescribe Suboxone and it has completely changed my life. I never thought I could get off the pills myself and I would probably die from an overdose or get shot because I was in the bad part of town. Thankfully I survived and am now dedicated to staying sober and helping anyone I can. This site is great for support so you are one step in the right direction!
Yes docs and pharmacies can find out. sub may have helped you but give yourself more credit. This drug is only a tool and I see too many people having problems getting off of it because docs give too much for too kong, in many cases. We can't always find drug solutions to drug addcition.
What recourse is the against these drs. that get your loved ones hooked on this hydro?
thats is there against these drs.
Absolutly !! I recently got caught at a doctors office trying to get more Lortab...I was so embarassed and humiliated! I have been taking them for awhile now at first I was just taking them for really severe period cramps each month which really wasn't a prob I was only taking 5 a month. Then I started with severe back pain, thats how I got hooked. I haven't quit completely. I tapered down. There was no way I could go to rehab I am esteemed in my community. So I have tapered down alot only 2 a day 1 in the Morning and 1 at night. My husband helped so much he searched the internet and found alternatives (vitamines) and it really has helped me alot with anxiety. The anxiety was the worst and feeling so depressed like I had just failed at life. The vitamines that I have been taking are Sam-e,ST. Johns Wart, Black Cohosh, Calcium, Glucosamine, Homepathic back pain med.,Folic acid, milk thistle, Liver cleanse...It really has helped me so much! I hope that it helps someone else to. If you decide to do it this way you have to be ready and willing. And double the doses of the Sam-e, St. Johns Wart, and Black Cohosh. It seemed to really take effect in about a week and a half. I will be praying for you all and please do the same for me.

With love from someone who knows exactly what you are going through!!
I say jump off.  Cold Turkey baby!!!  I jumped off before at 15-25 a day.  At least a half a dozen times.  All the way back to 100% normal again.  Hydrocodone withdrawals are not that bad really.  But that's just me.  I also have had withdrawals from Methadone and Tramadol before, and those are much worse.
Thank you to everyone for your honesty.  I am currently trying to get the courage to get off hydro.  I take up to 15 a day, 5's, 7.5's, or 10's, whatever I have.  I didn't even admit to myself that I had a problem until last week.  I want to tell my doctor the truth, but I'm afraid she won't perscribe anymore.  I just want one more month of hydro's....which is what I said last month and of course is classic addict.  I can clean for hours and hours on this stuff and I just don't want to loose that.  I'm usually a pretty shy and peaceful person, but on hydro's, I don't take anybody's ****.  I like that until I start getting so bitchy that I annoy myself.  Anyway...maybe the doctor will tell me no and I'll have to quit.  That would be for the best.  I am sick of always worrying about if/when I can get more.  How did I let this happen.  Thanks for listening/reading.
Thanks for all of the advice. I was taking 2-4 10/650 tabs a day for over five years. I'm currently using the tapering off method. But i also feel its very important to exercise (even just a short walk).

I was told that hydrocodone gets stored in your fatty tissue. So its important to stay as active as possible. STAY POSITIVE!!! DO NOT LET DOUBT AND NEGATIVE THOUGHTS CONTROL U!!!!!!
Hi everyone. This is the first time I have visited this site and I am very glad that I have. I identify with each and everyone of you. I have tried numerous times to quit, take my husbands meds which leaves him in pain, always worring about not having the pills, going to the doc to get pills, spending all of my money on them. I have been taking them for the last 3 years. I started by just taking 1-2 a day because they made me feel good. Now I take 15 10mg percs a day. I have to quit taking them by the end of this month because I start my internship and I am going to get random drug screening and I didn't just go to school for the last 6 years for nothing. But it is not only that, I need to quit before I hurt myself, to be a good mother and wife, as well as provide for my family. Like I said I have gone through withdrawls before and I am scared. I hate feeling that way. And after the physical pain is over you still have the psychosocial aspect which lasts a long time and I have never quit long enough to ever get past it. This is what scares me. Does it ever go away? If anyone has quit taking opioids successfully for a while or know PLEASE let me know. Thank you for posting it makes me feel good that I am not alone and not just other people taking pills but for others to feel the same way you do. Thanks again.
It is a blessing to find that some people can taper off hydrocodone. I think if other people can do it, I can. Sometimes it seems impossible, but I know it's not. I have been through so much pain and PTSD in my life that I'm just not up for a cold turkey. Anxiety and pain together are very difficult.

I've had headaches for many years. I've jumped off "relatively lower" doses of hydrocodone before, but I've been taking an awful lot for this last year. I know it's terrible for my health, and I want to get off. I know that the pills themselves are causing some of these headaches.

Does anyone have an idea of what might lessen symptoms while making cuts, like diet? I think sugar adds to anxiety. I'm glad to find these posts.
I started taking Vicodin 11 years ago for degenerative disc disease.After the first 4 years my doctor made me have an MRI that verified my condition then sent me to an ortho, My doc cut me off cold. The ortho told me to see pain mgmt doc which took a MONTH TO GET IN.The ortho told me to get pain meds from family doc so I went into w/d for 5 days until my doc went out of town and a fill in gave me a months supply. I was taking 8-10 a day. My pain doc convinced me to take methodone which I fought for 2 months but the 8 vics weren't killing the pain so I caved in. This doc gave me vicodin 360 a month 60 mg methodone and sleeping pills and muscle relaxers. I was pain free lol. Well...I am sick of taking meds and know it's killing me..btw I am 49 yo and last year started having pain I never had before so I started decreasing the vico and methodone and don't take any sleeping pills. 3 weeks ago I get a letter my doc is giving up the practice I am going to..so I freaked and even called a detox center. I needed a letter from my doc so when I called the nurse she told me to come see the doc and she would wean me off gradually. I did and want off this **** so was down to 10 mg methodone twice a day , 6 norco's a day 2 muscle relaxers to sleep. I am down to 2 mg twice a day, 6 norcos and 2 relaxers. I have stiff and achey (achy) hands since reducing the methodone due to lactic acid buildup, cold chills and very tired! Going to buy list of oc meds listed above. I can't wait to be rid of this **** and just deal with my pain. God bless all of you..now I don't feel so alone!
I too have a problem with these HYDROS..they like consume me...I know i really need to taper off..I have a script for 90 month..I have been taking up to 10 to 12 a day.......and running out..I am tired of worrying about them..I just cant seem to stop..so I am thinking about cutting them in half and making 2 seem like 4..then taper off like that????? this *****..i know i have to do this sooner or later
    I have been on pain killers for almost three years now.I cant go a day without them and I cant take them orally I have to chop them up and snort them. I dont even have a script no more, i've had one script for thirty days before, that was over a year ago. i spend five hundred dollars a month on these things. I have a really good job and they do random testing I am afraid of losing my job. I am already losing my life to these things I have head aches now that are concentated to the places where I snort the pills I have really weird stomache pains I never had before, I have a really bad temper, I jump on everyone for nothing, I just plain feel weird anymore, I really get to feeling like I could die from these things anytime, but I have to have these things to live at least I feel like I snorted one halfway down this reading this page thats how I am.I used to be a very smart and sharp thinker which I still am but I am slower than I ever was before I started taking these addictive things, does anyone else feel the symptoms I do, and what do I do, are these things killing me? should I go and have my body checked out because the way I feel, Someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!
i take lorcets everyday. i have never been prescribed to them. it really *****. if i dont have them i cry. I try to not take as many so when I go somewhere like class or work I only take one or two with me...but as soon as they are gone i am texting or calling someone to bring me more. ..knowing good and well I have some at home... I spend more money on lorcets than I do my home, my car, or just simple things that I need. i actually know I am addicted.. but can't find a way to not crave them???? I have went like two days without them... and its not that I can't live or breath or have a life without them... its like I don't want to. I am so use to just popping one whenever I want that when I can't I get really emotional and can't think straight. I read alot of these and I feel bad that people actually have to have them... I use to snort them at parties or when I drank ...or when I was chilling with my boyfriend... and now its like I have to have them or i go crazy...Gaww yeah I need help...an suggestIONS???
I was diagnosed with "Cluster" headaches around 1995. Been prescribed every preventative med on the market. None work. Have to resort to pain killers. Got addicted to oxy's last year. Went to a DR and got clean with suboxone(buphenorphine) it truely is a miricle drug. Didn't have med insurance. so paid dr 400 for conultation and around 600 total for pills. Expensive yes, but works great. Alittle withdrawl (withdrawal) from subs, but nothing like oxy's. These headaches hit me May/ June of each year for about 4 weeks. and guess what, got hooked on noco's this year. And a few oxys here and there. Got self injectable type headache drug called imatrex.And same drug administeres nasally. Both due to vomiting during headaches. works most of time but not always. going to try tapering this time. only been on them for about 3 weeks. Whats my chances? Any input.
I've been on oxycodone and hydrocondon for a little over six months now and am trying to quit but having really strange side effects (they are prescribed due to surgery so it's legit but still habitual none the less). I'm thinking of suicide all the time....is this normal? I have always had issues with depression off and on throughout life but, now suicide consumes my thinking. Anyone else having this issue or had this issue when trying to quit?

I'm very anxious, nervous, sleepless, agitated by the simplest things and going through a relationship loss as well which doesn't help at all. Anyone having any input / information that could help I would appreciate it. I'm a big girl (metaphorically speaking) so, I realize that most of you here will not be professionals (doctors, nurse practitioners, etc) yet, I seek information from you since you've experienced withdrawals - what are the side effects and are mine normal?
Those are all the symptoms!  Chills, tired, achey (achy), tired again.  Up and down.  Sleepy, can't sleep.  Moody, frustrated, then chilled and laid back when doped up!  Endless cycle.  Endless.  Around, and around.  

Been on Norco for 3 years plus.  Major knee injury, several surgeries, etc.  Now just have to have them to get bye.   It only gets worse.  Week by week, month by month.  

I have gotten to the point I am simply tired of feeling this way, acting this way, and having this in my symptem.  Plus having the DR that got me started pretend like this is not a major MF problem.  It is.  And it *****.  
I dont know what to do anymore. I dont know whether im physically or mentally addicted to norco 10/325. I only 24 and im prescribed norco 10/325 5 times a day but ive been taking 6-7 tablets a day sometimes even 8 times a day which still dosent cut it for the pain! And when I take less i go through w/drawal from hell! I have a couple of back problems, I have canal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and impinged nerve root, and multiple tears and buldging discs and spasms. and thats just my lower back. And because of the impinged nerve root ive been having nerve pain in my neck, arms, hands legs and feet. But my pain dr never acknowledged it. I told him multiple times as i layed there getting steriod injections in my back. And for some reason the damn office wont let me set an appointment to leginimately discuss my back and body pain. It seems only to be discussed during my injections. I had to ask the dr multiple times to give me gabapentin which is an anti-sezieur/nerve pain medication that i took in the past for a pinched nerve. The dr gave it to me once a day because he though it would make me sleepy. I decided to see a PCP a regular dr to seriously address my nerve pain. And he said i needed surgery if not id wind up in a wheel chair. And I have a 3 1/2 month old baby and a 21 month old toddler. That dr made me feel like crap. Stopped my life in its tracks. I use to love to dance and workout even though i had back pain but of course i was on prescribed norco. And I got off it twice for both my pregnancies which drove me crazy. And I asked my pain dr to taper me off. And he said if your taking it for pain you should be able to get off it easily w/out withdrawal symptoms. What do you all think about that? The regular Dr.sent me to a nuerologist and my nerves were fine. And the neurologist said that my regular dr was wrong for saying i needed surgery. Then i was set up to see a nuerosurgeon by my regular dr and I didnt take the appointment. Because once u have back surgery u cant go back and wind up on CII's. I then had requested the dose change for gabapentin from the pcp but he mentioned that i was under contract w/ my pain dr for rxs. So i had my pain dr release the rights to my gabapentin rx to the PCP. But then the nurse told me that he dosent do pain managment. So then the dr gave me a 15 day supply of xanax taken twice daily to deal with all my issuses. The dr. would raise my quanity to a 30 day supply if i indeed needed it twice a day. I called for a refill for the full 30 days and the dr. denied it an said he didnt want me on too many narcotics.And I told the nurse that I needed the xanax. Im trying to cope w/ the dr saying I would wind up in a wheel chair and also my back and nerve pain and 2 kids so I tend to get anxious and fustrated. Needless to say they filled the xanax but still only for 15 days. And because of this and the gabapentin issue and the fact that I didnt see the neurosurgeon. And that I addressed that the dr. would say one thing then do another. The Dr. kicked me out of his practice because a ineffective patient-doctor relationship.  So I asked my pain managment dr about my daily intake of norco and if he could increase it and of couse he said no. And instead gave me a $2000 back brace which kept me stiff as a bored after i was told that i would be able to dance and work out in it. I called the office about getting maybe a smaller back brace. Its been about 2 weeks and I still havent had a response back. So I asked the nurse again to see about getting my nerve medicine changed to 3 times a day. Because after 6 to 7 hours after taking the nerve med my neck arms and legs starting stinging! But the nurse said i had to finish my once a day script before i can request a rx change, So needless to say ive been suffering. So now what do i do. My pain dr wont listen to me about my nerve or increased back pain, i dont want to get surgery and im tired of taking more norco than prescribed that still dosent give me pain relief... Help
Wouldnt recommend suboxone to anyone. My wife was on it and it was a worse addiction than the Hydocodone.  My recommendation would be to get off vicodin cold turkey. You'll have physical withdrawals for about 5 or 6 days and hopefully you have someone to be around to help you, but suboxone takes months because it has such a long half life.. Believe me its not worth it! Suboxone withdrawal is 10 times worse.  I witnessed it first hand. Its nasty.
To all that have posted - I just want to share some experience. I've detoxed c/t from methadone, high doses twice, hydocodone several times, oc's many times, and even heroin. The truth is, there will be some level of discomfort PERIOD,  you have to be willing to face that, it's a mind set and once you have that, you can DO IT! Even though you may feel at times like you're going to die, YOU WILL NOT! We reap what we sow, whether doing it recreationally or dr. prescibed, the drugs the same. Yes you can taper to alleviate the severity of your symptons, but not all of them. I want to encourage all of you YES IT CAN BE DONE, AND YOU'LL FEEL SO GLAD YOU DID IT ONCE ACCOMPLISHED! I've put my wife and family through hell and back and YES every moment of withdrawal they are worth, were worth, and so was/is I and so are you. I don't mean to be a meany but please listen, apply, and don't put this off what I'm about to say.
We (because I'm speaking to myself as well as you) need to man or woman up, realize this is gonna be a horrible SHORT PERIOD of time and get off this crap that's killing us. Yes, it's a matter for many of us of life and death. Time's precious and none of us knows how much we've got left Is it gonna hurt, yes, is it going to feel like we're gonna die at times irrationally, yes but we're not, anxiety, yes, irritable bowel yes, sleep problems yes.This is not going to be fun people, but it's going to be worth it. I've never met a person whose past the physical difficulties whose said it's not worth it that's got a rational mind  and heart. YES< ITS WORTH IT! YES, IT *****. We reap what we sow whether recreationally or dr. prescribed shame on you for those of you who've said, they made me do it. You put the pill in your mouth, and you continued to. No one held a gun to your or my head. If you play the victim you WILL NEVER QUIT THIS GARBAGE! Your and my actions are whats gonna speak and for those of us who have played the addict role long enough that's probably all that's gonna speak to those we've hurt, lied to, and stolen the most precious gift we could've given them, OURSELF, HEALTHY.
   Please understand I empathise with you, I know first hand the dilemma.But if you don't get the fact that you can NEVER and I mean NEVER go around this, but you have to go through it, you'll never go through it. Support is huge. If you have none, go to na aa etc..... If you want this bad enough, you can do it. I bet we can all think of a 1000 reasons not to quit the excuses and keep on in our addiction. No one wants to feel pain that's we got on these darn things in the first place whether emotional or physical.
Look the only reason and I mean the only reason why I'm so upfront about this is because I'm probably the excuse, crying, whining, find every reason why not to man up and get help of this whole bunch. But when you see the tears of joy in you family and loves ones or sponsors eyes, childrens, person you've encouraged etc.... You'll understand  IT WAS ALL WORTH IT! YOU ARE WORTH IT!
Can tapering help, YES, can it make it all go away NO.
And - for anyones info if you're a person that just doesn't have any will power or are a less unfortunate for whatever circumstance, yes buprenorphrine can be an option but let it be a last option as well especially and I mean especially with methadone. They're both trading one drug for another and expensive habits. Worse habits, way worse habits especially depending on the individual to detox from. Please don't go around telling everyone it's the best option, it absolutely IS NOT!!!!! Then you have to go around figuring out how to get off that when you could've dealt with it in one shot and not be left with the same feeling you're having right now just on some bupe forum.
I realize some may think I'm just a meany, I'm not, I care deeply for all of you and wish you the best, I just know it took someone sitting down with me, speaking the truth in love, calling my addiction what it was, not undermining it or the detox process as well being very careful to remind me of not just the consequences but especially the reward at the end. The family, the life I could have that I never could on pills or dope. The hearts I could touch that they never could because they hadn't been through what I had. And you to have a story, don't let it go to waste, tell it, but first things first, man up, woman up, tell yourself YOU CAN DO THIS, AND DO IT! Be outspoken about your weakness that's when you'll find strength to face it. But be wise.in who you share with. This monster wants you to be silent, to be isolated, to be scared, to think you can never get throught this, YOU CAN, AND WILL IF YOU'RE WILLING TO DO WHAT YOU KNOW IN YOUR HEART IS RIGHT! My heart and prayers go out to you. I hope this has touched just one heart. Forever engaged in the battle, BWhiit portland , oregon God bless your endeavour to do what is right :-)
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
WOW - What he said. So Real. Right on for the post BDub, thats realness, 100%
Hello everyone!

I admire everyone that simply had the courage to admit they have a problem and want to correct it. I had by far the worse year of my life last year 2010. I had brain surgery, small tumor that caused a lot of damage - lost partial movement on my left arm and leg plus while in the hospital I found out I was critically ill-HIV+ and was in and out of the hospital for about 6 months. All that time I was getting morphine via IV, in other words just like if I was injecting myself with heroin. I got morphine tablets when I left the hospital and knew I was terribly dependent on it so I tried quitting colt turkey and went through most of the w/d symptoms. By the 5th day I was going crazy because I couldn't sleep or stay still during the day, the worse part was that I was in recovery and was at home 24/7 on a medical leave so I started taking hydrocodone which helped a lot! Now I am addicted to it. :-/ still on a medical leave and use the hydro to make my days easier and to better cope with what I am going through. Before I got sick I was training for a 200 mile bile ride and to be at home 24/7 doing nothing - I was going stir crazy so I take about 10 hydro a day. I talked to my doctor about anxiety problems and the fact that I couldn't sleep because I want to get off the pills but don't want to tell him I am dependent on it because having HIV does cause me muscle and skeleton pain, so the best way I think to get off the pills to only take them when I really need them is to reduce the mg by 25% per dose per week so start with 1 and 1/2 dose for a week do my body gets use to it and don't go through the w/d symptomps then 1 pill per dose for the following week and so on until I don't need it. I think my biggest issue is the fact that I dont have anything to do and cant keep busy. Good thing is that I regained 100% on my left arm my leg is at about 80% back to normal so my doctor gave me the green light to go to the gym I think it will help me tremendously as I can exercise and sweat the narcotic off. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciate it.

HB
Hi HAB81 & Welcome,

This post started some 7 or so years ago and I don't believe the members that posted here are still active. Your best bet is to go to the top of this page, hit the green Post A Question button and start your own thread. You can copy and paste what you wrote here. By doing that it will be your own post and the members here can get to know you. There is a lot of support here and we can help you through the withdrawal stage and suggest somethings for your boredom.

I hope to see you in the community. If you have any trouble, please let someone know and they will guide you through the process.
and to everyone really..but susieloo..please get yourself checked..my best friend had the same problem you do and almost killed herself snorting pills..her sinuses and her ear drums are now gone and she has tubes in her ears to hear..the dr's said if she didnt stop she would of died...i too have a problem with hydros and am trying every month to stop! i take as many as 15 to 20 pills a day..how ever many it takes! i realized months ago i had a real problem..after reading all these posts i now have hope i can stop for good this time...thank all of you for your posts..i hated myself for months thinking i was just a huge loser and bad person all around..but i know im just someone who has lost there way..and im gonna find my way back! Alot of my problem with stoping is the anxiety and depression i feel when stopping not to mention the physical discomfort.. but its consuming my life and hurting the ones i love..i have to quit..i cant keep on like this..i spend hundreds a month once the script is gone and 120 pills dont hardly last 10days..every month is filled with fear and anxiety and self hatred..i just want my life back..thanks for all the good recommendations on how to get past the physical symptoms..im gonna give them a try or just knuckle down and bare it..either way..i hope to be free someday..
Wow, I'm a 46 yr old woman with "arthur" and muscle tightness in my back from scoliosis. What u describe in ur day sounds exactly like me. I am going off hydro for a couple of reasons. I want to try and stay off and only use aceto. or ibup. I also take melixocam (mobic) 1x a day. Ur tips sound great I'm going to try them. I will try the SAMe I think. Thanx and God bless u and ur health.
It seems as though we are all struggling here with pills. I have been on and off norco for 3 years exactly.  I am a 95lb girl at 5'3 so you can understand how I can only take a certain amount. My pain was neck and back from my pregnancys. But then it just became addictive.  I was up to 10-12 norco 10-325 a day and finally tried suboxon. It was awesome but after 5 months weaned off and it was hell. Totally horrible even after the weaning off. Worse then cold Turkey off the pain meds. I will NEVER USE SUBOXON AGAIN AND I BEG ALL OF YOU NOT TOO. ITS POINTLESS!!! Its he same as taking pills but worse.  I weaned off it and still experienced hell for longer.. Vicodin withdrawal was about 5-10 days. Suboxon withdrawal was 15-25 days... if your lucky. Weaning off is hard but its 10x better then getting off subs.  Please please know I am praying for all of you and please do the same for me as I struggle everyday with cravings on and off. God bless my friends
I had a problem with hydrocodone and got on suboxone(buprenorphine/naloxone) for 1 year. I would suggest not taking suboxone at all unless you have a very intense addiction(like heroin or oxycodone). The withdrawal symptoms are much worse with suboxone than hydrocodone and will last much longer. It will however decrease opiate cravings significantly but the con's far exceed the pro's if you stay on it longer than a week or two. It is addictive so someone with an opiate addiction will have a hard time just taking it for a short time.  
I have been taking about 25 vicodin es daily for about five months but have been an addict for a long time. I just can't do cold turkey again and I want to wean. No one knows I am doing the pills again so I am all alone here and getting to feel really f-ing hopeless
Please give me some advice. I need to be completely off of these by beginning of sept. I am so scatters of the withdrawls. They are the devil
I'm not sure I have the willpower to wean myself. Any other suggestions?
Welcome to the board.

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but you posted on a thread from 2003. Most people will not see this. The people here can and will give you tons of support, but you probably need to start your own thread.
I just wanted to let you know that we all started out just taking a half to one a day....That's where it starts, stop now!!! It's not worth it. good luck!
To those who successfully weaned off Hydro- How long did you stay at each level? One poster suggested 3 days and I would appreciate hearing your method. I read enough posts to know that it some point I will have to just stop but wanting to minimize the tiredness that I know will come. I was rotating between 1.5 weekdays, 2.5 weekends, but that was not working so I picked 2 to start with and to let my body adjust to, but don't want to stay there too long. A week? Not sure, that's why I would prefer feedback from someone who has been there with the taper method. Thank you.
Ive been taking hydro for  1 1/2 yrs now not for pain but just to get high.  Here recently I could take up to 10 a day and hardly get high.  I am so ashamed that I have abused this drug and kept my addiction from my fiance.  I have two small girls who need a mommy thats not hooked on pain pills.  Im on day two of nothing.  I kinda feel like I have a cold, runny nose, body aches and couldn't sleep a wink last night.  I know I am strong enough to kick this addiction to the curb.  My fiance and I are leaving for Jamaica on Oct 8 and I want my body to be back to normal producing the natural endorphins it should be. Any advise or support would be awesome!!!
I am a hydro addict. I've been perscribed dros now for over two years because of herniated discs in my back and like many other ppl I had no idea about how addicting they were nor did I know anything about withdrawls. Now that I physically can't seems to make it through the withdrawls symptoms ( i give in at about 36 hrs. because they r so severe at that point) and I have a very demanding life and I know I have a problem, I have been somewhat honest with my doc. abut using more then I should and now he has perscribed me moriphine 15mg twice a day. I am very scared about even trying the morphine for a # of reasons which include addiction and more severe withdrawls. I am tired of being sick and tired and BROKE. I have tried weening but I don't have the will power. I'm not looking for something else to get hooked on to make my life harder I just want it all to stop. Opiates are evil!! Any suggestions?
Hi there and welcome. Please copy and paste the above to your own post. Start a new thread. This one is from 2003. Many won't see this. You will get advice, support and more feedback.
I just cant ******* do it, I am so tired all the time if I dont take them, I take between 5.5 and 7 norcos a day, a good daiy is 5.5, im ******. I just started a new job and cannot take time off and cannot show any signs of withdrawl (withdrawal). I just cant ween off, its so hard. I have had a brain tumor and testicular cancer but that was only an excuse to take them. I have told my wife but she doesnt think it is a problem, how do i stop i need help from someone to help me ween off or something to help the no=vike crash.
How many pills are you able to get down to a day?  Do you have a dr that can give you some Clonidine?  It is well known for its benefits in helping with opiate WD.  How long have you been taking the norcos?  Do you have any other drugs to help?  Look at the Thomas Recipe in the bottom right hand corner of the page.  Let me know what you think.
I have been taking 10/325 about 10 to 12 day and oxy cotin or however the heck you spell it.. but I spend about 1200.00 a month on them. I am tired of always being late on all my bills when I am making damn good money.. I am single and lonely and think something is wrong with me! but I know it's the pills. How am I gonna attract a good women, when I am always numbing out all night drinking and eating pills to feel good. I am so sick and tired of being alone, but must not be if I can't bet this. I have taperd off before, and it does work.. It's better to go cold on 4 a day than 10 a day.. So yes, tapering and then a lil of cold turkey works. It just seem that it is a lot harder this time. What is up with the thomason thing?
HI welcome to the forum the Thomas recipe can be foud in the heath pages or on the lower right of the screen it will give you a few things to make this a bit ezer If I said this ones I have said it a 1000 tims as addicts we need to change the way we think and reason to overcome are illness the pills are just a symptom as is the booze quiting the pills is a 5 day deal the booze you need medical attention if you a heavy drinker and its every day we can help you here with the pills how many and what kind(mg) are you taking???
I agree with you jumping off is ez then tapering off we will be here to support you and help you along the way first thing you need to do is start your own post go to the top of this screen there is an orange box marked post a question start there this is a old post and it will get overlooked a new one wont I wish you luck God bless.....Gnarly
years ago my doctor put me on hydrocodeine 10/325mg x6 pills a day. I am currently still taking this medication and have been for 5 yrs. I have some cervical and spinal issues and have tried coming off cold turkey and it liked to kill me. I am scared I wanna get off this medication but the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms are horrible.... I have no health insurance and have low income... so it will not be possible for me to get medical help... Thanks!!!  
I have been taking Norco for the past 4-5 years, but I only take 1 to 1/2 a day. I am fine during the day with out them I work from 7:30 to 4:30. But I can feel my need for them in the evening. No one knows not even my doctor. I take them for 3 slip disc. and some arthritis. I also panic when I see my bottle almost empty and no refill. I know I am addicted and have no clue how to stop this horrible addiction. I am glad to find this site, and post on it and also admit to my addiction. And by the way I am 57 years old. How do I taper with so little powerful pills
suboxone you dont want to use because those have withdrawls too. It is an opiate blocker which means if you take pain pills or herion you will not feel the effects. I also suffer from lupus and have been on vicodin 10mg. I am overly abusing them going thru 150 pills in two weeks. I cant tell my doctor because i do need them for the pain but i need help to learn how to take them has perscribed. anyways i feel your pain and wish you the best of luck
I am in the same boat as you are please if you figure it out let me know =(
It's refreshing to see that there are others that are going through this crap. I've been taking about 4 Norco 10/325's per day, and I would like to figure out an effective tapering plan. All I know is that I can't successfully go CT-it throws everything out of whack. I saw a doctor in regard to all of this, and she game me a prescription for Wellbutrin (for the depression) and Xanax (for the anxiety). I'm beginning to think that this is not the right way to go. Thoughts?
Actually, The wellbutrin and xanax would be good for you to keep on hand, I just recently relapsed after nearly 26 days clean... Yeah I know. But I am getting back on track, But from recent experience of going thru the entire wd and recovery process, you will have some MAJOR anxiety and depression attacks,it's pretty bad usually the second and third week after getting clean. I wouldn't recommend taking them daily, as that just develops another addiction, but I wish I had anxiety medication several times, during the last month lol, I really had some "moments". - Good Luck to you, And How I got clean, Was God -- praying ALOT!! And adderall (adderrall), it is a stimulant, and works wonders getting off of opiates, and then after a month I just got off the adderall (adderrall) no problems, This may not work for everyone but it did work for me :-) Good Luck to you, and Your future walk with sobriety :) You can do it.. It really is a mind over matter. :)
I agree with you that Suboxone is not a good option (for most). I was on it 6 months, turned me into a zombie. I quit cold turkey (not the best idea) and suffered the worst withdrawals imaginable. I was only taking 8mg p/day, too! I went straight back to the hydro's. The withdrawals from hydro is way easier than suboxone. So unless someone is a heroine addict I would NEVER suggest Suboxone. Just deal with the hydro withdrawal side effects (lasts about a week) and it will be much better in the long run.
I was taking 4 10.325 hydros a day for three years i am tapering off i am on day three at one and a half, every day i want to take more is there  any one
out there tapering off to help me with advice please let me know    
I'm here, was on just about your dose (plus a bunch of other stuff) and am on Day 4 - hang in there.  You should be through the worst of it, hang in there.
Sorry I misread your post - so you are still tapering which is what I did.  Just be ready for detox when you jump off, I cut back till I was down to one for a day or two then just stopped.  We have almost identical amounts and durations so I'll tell you what happened to me so you are ready, I'm on day 4 of no pills and I feel soooooo much better, if you can hang on through the couple really rough days you will feel better.   Get through it a minute at a time, an hour at a time and I kept repeating to myself this will be over, this will be over.   Look up the Thomas  recipe and get all that stuff before you jump off, GET immodium and take it aggressively (this is where I made a big mistake and let myself get really dehydrated).  Take a few days off cuz you WILL be sick, like the worst flu of your life.  Consider posting a new link to get support from people, this looks like an old threat.  Best of luck.
You have no idea just how normal you are!  I have exactly the same mind set as you.  Have yet to tell my doctor, even debating if I should.  Tomskatt is wonderful to talk to about this as well.  I had a plan in place today to tell my Dr. everything but now I have it in my head that I can wean myself down to an "as needed" basis.  Maybe I can maybe I can't but I do know that I am taking way more than I should.  As supportive as my husband is he is definately starting to get angry with me.  He doesn't blame me at all but he is angry that life has thrown us another curve.  We have certainly had a rough 12 years of marriage.  He is my one and only, I do know that.  Just hope he feels the same when I start detoxing!!
I really feel like crying right now, One i feel like im in horrendous pain two, I almost am certain I am addicted to the Hydrocodone, I am supposed to take one tablet 4 times a day I take them way more often than that and I always run out at least a week and ahalf before I can get them refilled, in that time i am making my family crazy, I am not taking care of myself, I have changed...so I take tylenol P.M. to sleep till I can wrangle more out of my doctor...I did sign a paper saying I wouldnt try to go thru any other doc for this med so far have kept my word, but I also do have knowledge that ppl sell their vics on the street not exactly a good idea to be doing that...which I haven't yet, but oh how I want to..when i am hurting like this, I dont understand why my pain is so bad, I have Osteoporosis, but for some reason it is only in my Upper spine to the mid spine where it hurts so bad I want to tear my hair out and wish for a way to end it...i have never been this type of person, I am changing I dont like it...Please Ideas here...would be appreciated I am going to tell my doctor after reading your info here...I am going to tell her to help me get off of them if she wont I do have another doc that will course hes a psychiatrist...but shoot they know their meds too right.. anyway im glad i found you all...thankyou for all the shares now I know for a fact I am addicted and do need to take care of it...gabby
Gabby - I just sent you a PM, pls check your messages.
We have a family doc who dispenses 100 vicodens a month like candy to my wife who takes them occasionally as needed for MS pain). I got into taking a couple of them here and there but then leveled off to taking about four to five 7.5mg vicodins for about a year for no good reason except the energy they appear to give me and to alleviate the detox symptoms. I have tried to tamper off,  as suggested by others,  but didn't have the will power to see course through.  I finally decided to detox myself. I checked into a motel with a case of water and began drinking water (about 4 gallons) over a 24 hour period. One rough time of quiet suffering with a Do Not Disturb sign on the motel door. Did not tell anyone. While urinating I could literally smell the hydrocodone (no joke). During this period, I experienced severe lower back pain, profuse sweating, insomnia, and anxiety. Took a few hot showers during that time to alleviate the back pain. Tylenol helped also. After checking out of the motel I went to the Gym and walked on the tread mill for as long as possible with the theory that this might metabolize the  hydrocodone at a faster rate. This was followed by as much water as practically possible. The first few nights after the motel were filled with severe insomnia and wrestless legs.  After 5 days things are way better but slight insomnia persists. Besides losing about 7 pounds from the process, I am glad this went through this. There is still a bottle of 50 Vics sitting in the bathroom cabinet but I can't face the thought of going through this detox process again. Hope this helps the many folks who have the same problem.
hibluehen, how are you doing? I commend you for stepping up and quitting cold turkey. I plan on doing the same next Saturday when my significant other goes on a business trip. Until then, Im doing the tapering method in hopes of decreasing the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms I will experience next week. I am currently on a much higher dose than what you were on.. I was taking 10- 10/325 Hydrocodones per day. Yesterday I decided to split that amount in half to 5-10/325's. No, I do not feel any high from 5 pills as my tolerance is through the roof however Im experiencing mild withdrawls. Anxiousness, chills, some mild body aches, but I consider myself very lucky! I suppose the withdrawls will get worse with time when my body realizes what Im doing. Im going to introduce some more water into my diet and Ive heard going to a infrared sauna will help with the detox process so I may try to find one of those as well! Good luck and let me know how your doing! I would love a buddy to chat with during this time! Best Wishes!!!
I've been taking  7  10/325  Vicodin for 16 yrs now for 7 major surgeries on my back and female complications and I would like to start a taper now just got a script for 210, can anyone tell me the proper way to do this. I tried cold turkey made it 5 days and I felt like I wanted to die. I don't want to take anything else. I heard Clonodine was an exellent choice and non narcotic. Can any one help me. I'm ready I want my life back I'm 42 and my daughter is 9. She doesn't deserve a mother who can't function. Please help me I'm in dier need of input. Thanks
I'm new to this medhelp forum site . I have been taking hydrocodone for the past 4 years. I started out at 4 hydrocodone 10mg a day to now 2 hydrocodone 5 a day. I just recently found out I'm pregnant and need to get off them ASAP! I am having the hardest time going with out any . The first thing I do when I get up is take a 5mg . I think I can go with just 1 a day ( although it is extremely difficult) I just want to know how I get from taking 1 to 0 And what to expect when I go without for a day and how long will I feel
These side effects . These last days are the hardest for me.
Hi and Welcome.  I'm 64 days off a 4-6 10/325 Hydro for over 2 years of solid use.  Some people taper (like me) and others just go cold turkey - quite honestly where you are at such a low dose I personally would just stop.  You are most likely feeling flulike and achy anyway as 10 mg per day of hydro isn't much.  

You really don't have much to taper and we can't give advice on that but I just went down a from 4 to 1 per day over a 2 week period gradually decreasing.

when I jumped off (that is when you stop) I started withdrawals about 16 hours after my last pill - immediately the diarhhea started and I didn't manage that which was a big mistake.  So get yourself immodium and you take one every time you hit the toilet to get it under control.

Get some gatorade and other drinks so you can hydrate -  push those fluids.

Your skin will crawl, you won't sleep, you will cold sweat and be miserable but I just kept telling myself it was the worst flu I ever had. I took lots of hot showers - like every hour as it was the only real relief I got.  I just put a towel down in tub and laid down to take a shower letting water run on me.

The fear of withdrawal can be worse than just doing it.  The worst usually lasts 2-3 days and then you just feel like you've gotten over the flu for another week or so.  It isn't fun but the only way out of opiate addiction is straight through it.  Stopping is easy enough, it is staying stopped that can be tricky.  Once you get over the physical withdrawals the mental part can play games.

Focus on getting over them right now with a thought of how you will manage the other stuff later, N/A meetings are free, there is counseling, this forum.  You really have to WANT to be clean more than you want the pills.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have if you want to private message me.  

One last thing, it is usually better to just start your own thread - more people will post and support you - just go to top of forum and "Post a question".

You've found a great place to get support and we all know what you are going through.

Stick around!
follow up - I didn't see you were pregnant sorry.  Does your doctor know you are taking them? How far are you?  I would say taper with help of your doctor, some ladies here who have experience with this will probably come along to weigh in but detoxing on your own while pregnant can be dangerous.  I'm gonna let the mamas with experience step in here.  Consider reposting a new thread of your own!
I've been taking 3-4 vicodin nightly before bed  for 3 years, so I can sleep without pain. 5/500.. I read all of these posts about becoming addicted and I wondered if I was. I have severe back pain and rehumatoid arthritis. I noticed about a month ago they didn't seem to alleviate any of the pain so I just stopped taking them. I didn't feel any different after stopping the pills as I did when I was taking them. (approx 45 days pill free) I keep myself from taking them during the day because I want them to work at bed time. They just stopped working!!         I told my doc they were'nt working and I needed something stronger so I could rest at bedtime. He prescribed norco 10/325.. I'm 56 y.o. male and very seldom take a pill in the daytime unless the pain is terrible. I just deal with it.. Does anyone think I will have a problem with addiction if I take these pills in the same manner?? I don't want to become dependent on anything.  Thanks  Steve
What is the best substitute to ask a Doctor for when trying to get off the Addiction Hydrocodine 7.5mg and used 8-10 a day, but I have been very depressed because I have been fighting this addiction alone, both my parents are deceased and I'm 23 yrs old. I really want to feel normal, no one knows of my addiction and I want help. I believe in God and I know he will help get through this. I fear the withdrawals. I can't stand it.

Please advise If someone has any helpful tips.
Thank you
It feels good to read all the posts,and know I'm not alone...I take one 10/325 at 730am last till 239pm then take 5 ,finally I take 4 at about 700pm..many people say they got from a high dose to a 2 day dose but don't give details..LOL..can anyone tell me how long I should lower one pill by? I hear one pill a week or half a pill less a week is good..but can anyone with experience please help me figure out what works and how long the dosage souls last before I take less? I lov.my wife, my familia,but I just need to know what schedule works for minimal withdrawls,,i can't feel horrible at work but do deal with some symptoms plus I need to sleep some to be able to function,,someone please respond I swear I will stick to it..but
I find myself coming to this site a lot. I too have an addiction to norco 10/325. I've been taking them for about a year and I can't recall a day with out taking one. I started off with just taking one at a time about 3-4 times a day. and over the months I've increased to taking two norcos at a time. It has escalated to me waking up and popping three or four. An hour later I would take another two. I would do this throughout the day, everyday. My bf takes them as well but he will only give me one at a time every 4-6 hours. Little does he know that I have a bunch of my own, on top of what he will give me. On Saturday night I bought 50. It's now Tuesday night and I have a total of 5 left. I know that I am taking way too many and I come to this site just to remind myself that there are ways to quit. Personally for me I am finding it hard. I have experienced W/D and I do not like them so I take more. I honestly can't go more than 4-5 hours without having them. I know I need help. But I don't want to go to the dr or go to NA meetings. I would like to try to do this tapering that you all are talking about I'm just not sure if I have the self control to so do. Can anyone please tell me exactly how to start this step
saboxone is just as bad a girl friend of mine went from methadone to that and shes just as dependadnt on those~after to many yrs on and off i cant even count i now take 10 to 15 a day i feel awful all the time alot of diff feelings one is self hate and alone and lost its an awful thing~
i take a total of 15 to 20 A DAY IT ***** ILL TAKE 5 AND THEN GET SO HIGH I FEEL SICK AND TURN AROUND 3 HRS LATER AND DO IT AGAIN I TRY SO HARD BUT I RAISE A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD HES 3 AND A HALF BUT HAS THE MENTALITY OF 2 AND A HALF HE HAS AUTISM AND SPECTRUM DISORDER AND ADHD~I JUST CANT KEEP UP I STOP AT 6 PM AND SUB STATUE WEED FOR A BUZZ WHEN I GET UP THE 1ST THING I DO IS POP A FEW I FEEL LIKE COMPLETE CRAP UNTIL THEY KICK IN AN HR LATER ANOTHER COUPLE~I CANT QUIT I HAVE TRIED I CANT GET HELP BECAUSE OF BOOGIE MY GRANDSON HAS NOONE BUT ME~ITS A VICIOUS AWFUL CIRCLE I HATE IT AND MYSELF I GET SO SCARED IF I GET DOWN TO 20 OR SO AND IF I RUN OUT~HERE IF YA NEED SOMEONE~SHA
ITS JUST AS BAD AS BEING ON THE VICS OR HYDRO AT ALL YOU DEPEND ON THEM JUST THE SAME BUT GET NO BUZZ~ITS ACTUALLY HARDER TO WITH DRAWL OFF THOSE THEY STAY IN YOUR SYSTEM LONGER!
20mg a day is not a lot, but if Dr increases ur dosage to 10/325 or 10/500, be careful.  Remember (1) 10/325 is = to (2)  5/500.  I got addicted when i upped the dosage that way and kinda forgot about the strength (narcotic) in ea pill.  The best way to look at this IMO, is that you're body is "dependent" and tolerant of the dosage, so quitting will usually cause withdrawals listed in this discussion.  I tried CT and was clean for 3 mos..then had a Dr increase my dosage to 10/500.  Thats when the probs started for me.  Im tapering now, cutting ea pill in half from a base dose of 30mg a day, cutting a pill in half after a week has passed.  Less problems than CT for sure.  Staying on the meds is a personal decision, but unless you have SEVERE pain, you just end up getting hooked on them and they do little for pain less than that.  There is also the Long-term usage of these pills and the effect on your liver regardless if you dont drink alcohol.  you could liken that argument to a moderate use of alcohol over many years.  Most ppl probably dont get cirrhosis of the liver in that case, but do if their drinking lots of hard alcohol and beer ea day for 20 or more years.  ive heard your liver has to recover and it has a lot of work to do anyway without adding heavy booze or Opiates to the mix
I dont know if is a great idea to tell your doctor everything keep your med s for pain in your corner, the doctor is not suffering,and most have broken there hypocritical oath these days, i have been on 750/antecetphetimine, for 6 years from a double c-spine fusion,started as only for pain,and have only taken 3 in a day once or twice in 6 years, after reading all this,now i take only 2 a day are only if i need because of pain. gabapentin was the bad one i quit to cold turkey it did me very wrong after only a few months of mixing with hydrocodone i was taking,so i stopped it all together and i had bad withdraws for 3 or 4 days with it. free from it ,now moving on with this hydrocodone,and i am tapering off it,and or am trying to get started doing that.my doctor Edgar D Ramirez in land of lakes Florida, left me high and dry when i tried to get help on a second opinion from LSI , he wanted to corterize my nerves ,i think it was called nerve oblation (ablation) , and i would not let him so he basically showed me his egotistical doctors power by leaving me with out my meds, in pain, and kept my copay. Its ashamed they have too much power now,you cant even find anyone to take a complaint on him. but i have moved on. dont tell your doctor everything unless you know you can trust a human, and the bible says we cannot. so i will not no more you are now like myself in the underground for the right to live and have a healthy life without dr's treating you like a cash cow. God bless, ill be praying for you, and i would say get family help,stay on internet searches and do what is right for you everyone is diffrent God bless.  
this is silly sue. I finally realized I am one of those who found  out  what this miracle drug does to you ,I have fibra myalga and I take halfs all the time ,then when the  gets real bad I take whole ones ,I realized last night that I am addicted and I am gonna try weening off and then I never want to see these pills again.
Do I ask my doctor for it for methodone to get off vicodene