Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol And Elavil
About This Community:

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tramadol And Elavil

I have recently been prescribed Tramadol and directed to take 50mg twice daily but I am also taking 10mg of Elavil every night for insomnia.  Is this too risky or are the dosages low enough that it shouldn't be a problem?
Related Discussions
10 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
NEVER exceed the dosage unless u want to be hooked in tramadol hell
Blank
182493_tn?1348056515
It could be.. it doesn't matter the dosages it more depends on the person.. these two taken together can raise serotonin levels too high possibly cause a seizure. i would call the doctor and ask for sure
Blank
199177_tn?1332183097
have you had addcition problems to other meds?
Blank
199177_tn?1332183097
FL is right I did not realize evil was an antidepressant then NO i would not use them together  mixing antis and tram really raises you risk of seizure
Blank
I have never had any addiction problems.  If I stop taking the Elavil how long should i wait until it is safe to take the tram?  I was also prescribed SOMA in addition to the tramidol for muscle spasms in my back.  They were the main reason I couldn't sleep in the first place so if they are gone I don't think I will need the Elavil anymore.  Does anybody know about interactions with Elavil and SOMA?
Blank
182493_tn?1348056515
elavil and soma are fine.. may make you super sleepy but not an interaction.. If you want to start taking the tramadol which I would do with caution since they are addicting,
taper off the elavil and then start taking it..

However I take Elavil and it helps me with sleep and pain.. I would try just taking the soma and see if that helps the muscle spasms.
Blank
Thanks for your input.  If you don't mind me asking what dosage of Elavil are you taking?  I've been breaking my 10mg pills in half for the last two nights.  Should I then go down to 2.5mg or can i just stop after taking 5mg for a while?
Blank
182493_tn?1348056515
I am taking 2 10mgs at night before bed.. one 10mgs did nothing for me so my doc upped it to 2.
so you took a 5mg for the last two nights?? YOu should be ok just taking 5mg for a week and then stopping Its a pretty low dose of Elavil.. some people take 100mgs a day..
I am surprised the doc who gave you the Tram did not tell you any of this.. it should not be prescribed to someone on a anti depressant.. I had a reaction one time to taking Tram and Lexapro. So i warn the people I can about it.
Blank
No kidding! I'm glad I researched this myself a little bit!  I will try just the SOMA and see if it helps. Thanks again.
Blank
I was on tramadol for three years and it took a whole year to get off the drug, i had withdrawls for a year and they are awful, stop taking the drug as soon as u can, or ask ur doc for alternative
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addiction: Substance Abuse Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...