Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tramadol to Suboxone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tramadol to Suboxone

Hi all!  I'm new here, but I am not new to trying to quit several different DOC's.  The most recent that has taken hold of me is Ultram, and I am up to 8 50mg pills in the daytime, and 12 50mg pills at night.  I know that at this level, seizures are pretty common and I've been pretty lucky.  Before this, I was on Suboxone for 2 years from a Vicodin addiction.  I used Trams to get off the Sub, and ended up liking it too much.  I have an appointment to get back on Suboxone this Friday, but I am unsure of what to expect switching to that from the Ultram, since it is not a real opiate.  Everything I have read from people's first hand accounts says that Ultram and Suboxone are sometimes prescribed together, it doesn't matter what order you take them in, and taking Sub right after Ultram will not cause precipitated withdrawal.  This is great news, but I am still unsure of how the Suboxone will affect this type of withdrawal.  Will it feel the same as it did coming off the Vicodin?  Is there any risk of detox seizures, or will Suboxone replace the same receptors that Ultram filled?  Anyone with experience switching from Ultram to Suboxone, please let me know how it was.  Thanks!
I have no experience with switching, but I do have experience with them in general. Could you try tapering the tram and not have to go back on sub?  Might keep you from having to continue to go back and forth??  That can't be very fun!  I know all about exchanging one bad drug for another, and it's NOT good!

Good luck!!! : )

Hi & Welcome,

I do not recommend that you go on Suboxone to get off of Ultram. At some point (no time like the present) you are going to have to address the issues that keep you using drugs. I would like to hear that you will work out a taper plan with your doctor and get into counseling. Please think about it.
I agree with tram most doctors do not use sub when coming off tram .you have been going back and forth for a while at some point you are going to want to get off the rollercoaster .Are you planing on using the sub long term again.I am not sure about the seizures because we have only had a few here use it.I would discuss this with the doctor prescribing it to you ?
i am thinking that sub is not the right way for you to go right now. the withdrawal from the sub is going to be as bad if not worse. most likely worse. i don't see any logic to this at all. are just going to bouce around forever? at some point you have to go through withdrawals. no one gets to ride for free. we have all tried. good luck with whatever you choose. please think long and hard before you exchange poisons. peace, sway
I see what you're all saying.  I wanted to go back on the Suboxone because I felt like I wasn't ready to come off it in the first place, so I was intending to pick it up where I left off.  I used Tramadol to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms from Sub, but I stayed on it a week too long.  It hasn't been that long since trying to stop the Suboxone, so I was thinking of going back and trying again the right way.  When I took myself off of it, I did it without even talking to my doctor, because she wanted me on a much higher dose than was working, and she wanted me on it forever.  I took matters into my own hands and decided to just see if I could stop on my own.  I figured the worst that could happen was that I couldn't do it, and I would just stay on it.  But it seemed to work.  After the 5th day, I hadn't taken any Ultram yet, and I was feeling absolutely normal.  I would have been completely out of the woods.  Then the addict in me said, "Well, you still have all of these Ultrams, you may as well finish them.  What could it hurt?  It definitely won't be long enough to get addicted again."  I wish that person would just shut up already!  So I tripped up and then decided to get back on the medication long term again.  Does that change anyone's opinion?  That I've only been off Suboxone for 2 weeks?
Ok, how long has it been since you had a tram or sub?  I got a little confused somewhere!  Are you still taking the tram?
So, basically, my last 2mg Suboxone was on June 12th.  I have been taking Tramadol since then, and I am already up to 8 50mg pills a day, and a lot more at night because I love the way it feels to lay in bed.  I know, this is why I know it's bad news.  So I am still on them, but I was timing my withdrawal to be 24 hours before my doctor's appointment tomorrow.  After 5 days of being off Suboxone, I felt completely out of withdrawal.  But since I stayed on the Ultram, a few days ago I stopped taking them and went into horrible withdrawal.  This is what told me that I was hooked again, and I made the doctor's appointment to get back on the Sub and try again.