Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Treatment for alcoholism

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Treatment for alcoholism

My husband has been drinking for 20 years and has had several detoxes. Unfortunately, he relapses each time because of his craving. I'm aware there's a drug available for treating alcohol addiction called Campral. I would appreciate your comments concerning this type of treatment.
I don't know anything about it, I'm sorry. Unfortunately it's late at night and only a couple of ppl posting, if you ask again during the day yuo'll probably get some responses to answer this question. I wish you the best of luck in you situation.
Gypsy
My father was an alcoholic most of his life.  Back some years ago there was a drug called antibuse that if you drank while taking it, you became really sick.  Now that Campral is out, it is being touted as the wonder drug for alcoholics.  But it has to be backed up by group therapy and support, etc.  Really it boils down to your husband has to want to quit or nothing will work.  My father didn't stop drinking until a few years before his death and that's because he finally decided he wanted to.  And never having one single drink is what kept him clean from the alcohol.  Do a search on the Campral and I'm sure you'll find some valuable information.  And if I can help, just let me know.  (I unfortunately inherited my father's addictive personality.)
Good luck,
Yoda
Antabuse makes you sick if you drink..
Campral helps but it's slow going before it kicks in,plus you have to take it at least 2x a day. A friend took it.
Try melatonin and 5htp (also slow going though).. over the counter,but some studies show they are effective at helping cravings..5htp is thought to boost your dopamine levels..that's what helps kill the craving..Melatonin is good for restoring a normal sleep pattern since alcohol use and withdrawal disrupts it.
Anyway I used it to help me cut down on social drinking..well,ok more like problem drinking,3-5 at a time a few times a week..I now only drink on the weekends  and no more than 3 or 4 drinks..never more than 2 in one sitting.
just an idea..i'm no doc and doctors won't say anything about the supplements since they aren't regulated and sanctioned as proper medication.
I've taken enough prescriptions though that I don't really care what they say..they seem to be lackeys for the drug companies. just my opinion. The side effects with the prescriptions made me opt fo over the counter, much happier with the results..
Try antabuse (you'll have to give it to him probably) for the first few months..then hopefully Campral will have kicked in and he won't feel a really bad urge to relapse with any luck.. Plus AA meetings and therapy, that's a definite. They help people a lot..
Good luck
oops, sorry about the above...forgot to post.
I've had serious and consistent alcohol abuse and dependece probs for 30 years...tried  AA, etc...nothing. Doc put me on campral 5 days ago...it's been a miracle for me. The cravings stopped withion 12 hours. I had a headache for 48 hours, but managed it w/Tylenol.
I highly recommend it.
I know it's early, but it has cvhanged my life...I haven't had a drink in 5 days....I have NEVER gone that long without a drink. I was just finally fed up with myself.