Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Tylenol pm

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Tylenol pm

Hello. I have been taking tylenol pm for about 10 years to help me sleep. I never thought anything about it until I went to a doctors appointment and told my doctor I was up to taking 4 sometimes 5 extra strenght tylenol pm for it to even work anymore each night! My doctor screamed "That is very hard on your liver and kidneys, you shouldnt be doing that"! And jumped right back to the reason I was there and we both totally forgot about it. When I returned home I begun to research it a little bit online and decided to quit taking it, cold turkey! Well, now here I am not only not being able to sleep, but suffering from the worst migraine in the world non stop in addition to throwing up, fever, chills and sweating. Nothing over the counter is helping, NOTHING! I dont know what to do and was hoping someone else had gone through this and can tell me what to do and how to get through this. Is there anything to speed this process along without the side effects? Dear God someone help me, Im at my whitts end!!
Have you tried Melatonin? If not,try it.It's the natural chemical that our brain produces in order to induce sleep.You can buy it at any supermarket,health food stores,etc.And it is not expensive! Read the bottle carefully and only take as directed;it may not help right away but it can "kick-start" your brain into producing it again the way it should.Also, try Valerian Root, you can get this at health food stores;and it is also in some teas such as "Celestial Seasonings Tea",get the "sleepytime extra" (tea bags).Make sure to call your doctor as well and stay away from Tylenol,Motrin,Ibuprofin and any drug that can cause stomach bleeding,yes,bleeding!!! It's painful and can cause very serious gastroenterological problems.And when you told your doctor about how much you were taking and he/she "forgot" to follow-up on this,find a new doctor!! Hope all goes well. Sincerely,Lasherslaugh.
The comment to (tylenol pm) was meant for you,sorry,Ijust joined last night,and getting used to where to look for names.good luck.
                                                    From,Lasherslaugh.
My mom takes Tylonol PM every single night, never heard of the problem... But she will know today because I am going to let her know. My mom doesn't abuse medications but has restless leg syndrome and she has much trouble sleeping. Thanks for the info...
FYI... Try some chamomile... also GNC or your local health nut shop have all sorts of natural sleep aids. I am detoxing from something much stronger than tylonol and didn't even realize you could detox from tylonol. Thanks again for the info.
I agree, find a new dr.  There are several alternatives for you and leaving you with no alternatives is a crappy piece of work.

My dr gave me Ambien (same as Lunestra) yesterday since i needed insomnia relief asap.  He also mentioned there is another med that doesn't have an affect as quickly but is better for longer term use (I can remember the name, if I think of it or hear it I will let you know).

If you are still in dire straits from no sleep, I'd call your dr (or a new one!) and ask for some help.  There are non-addictive solutions available to avoid the grief you are going through.  
Hello there,
    You have developed a dependence on the diphyhydramine (an antihistamine). First of all, I would stay away from any prescriptions that is addictive or can cause sleep rebound. Examples that a Dr. may give would be:

-restoril, halicion, ambien, lunesta, dalmaine etc.

The melatonin is a very good choice, but you would most likely need a larger dose and a very dark room.

Futhermore, the effects that you are having with the ty. pm. does not last long.

Do the safe thing! Get some melatonin @ your local wal mart and let this past. Don't do something that you will regret later. I know  about headaches and no sleep, but it will past.

Trust me on this one!

with respect and care, MAK
What do you mean by sleep rebound?  I took, as I said, ambien and dr told me it will not lead to chemical dependency (no wds at least) but I am concerned about stopping it.  I do not want to treat wds with something else that will give me more problems!

Any advice/experience you have is welcome!  Thx
Wise words about melatonin. You ca safely take 10mg. Recommended dose is 3mg. Dark room and going to bed within 1/2 or so is also important to get it to work. I find if I wait over an hour to go to bed, the melatonin doesn't work as well. Light breaks down the melatonin in our bodies.
Just to chime in here, I'm dealing with the same thing. Unfortunately my problem is even more extreme(amount wise). I've been taking them for about ten years, started while I was a bartender and had to sleep during the day. It may not be the same for everyone, but for me it was and is horrifically addictive. I've got off of them about three times over the years, but it is very difficult when you have extreme insomnia and no insurance. The messed up thing is( and I won't bore you with the long, mindnumbing details), it actually deserves a fair amount of credit for helping me to stop drinking entirely. I want to quit, but I can't afford the week of massive sickness. I honestly worry about dying, and what a lame thing to die from, right? If you can get off them, do it! They are so easy and cheap to get, it's a very dangerous thing to have available at your local WalMart. Be strong, you'll be happy when they are gone.
I've been taking Tylenol PM (or comparable) for at least 20yrs now on a daily basis.  I knew of the potential long term effects but would push them aside for a good nights sleep.  I will go natural with Melatonin...and pray it works!  I've  been fighting insomnia most of my life.
I used to depend on tylenol pm, And it was so bad that I was taking 6 a night :( Im also type 1 diabetic, I had to stop doing the tylenol pm right away, tried to stop cold turkey but was only able to sleep 2 hours, I finally went to sams club to buy a larger bottle of tylenol pm and stumbled onto a sleep aid pill, I know tylenol pm has 500mg of Acetaminophen per pill you times that by 6 and that is 3000mg a day, The only ingrediant you need to help you sleep is the diphenhyramine, Tylenol pm has 50mg of diphenhyramine per pill ppl take the tylenol pm for that ingredient but sacrifice intaking the acetaminophen, I know that sleep pills over the counter cost alot more then the tylenol pm, but at sames club they have extra strengh sleeping pill and the only ingrediant in it is just the 50mg of diphenhyramine (there blue soft gel pills) I got 2 bottles of 96 pills for under 9 dollars, And im proud to say I have been off of tylenol pm for over a month :)
I have been taking Tylenol PM for almost 4yrs now and decided to quit cold turkey, because Im worried what damage I might be doing to my liver! It has been two days now, I'm having a very hard time, I maybe have gotten about 4 hours of sleep in the past two days and I have a major headache that wont go away,I'm nauseous,irratated,and itching all over, I cant seem to stop scratching. tonight is my third night without taking a tylenol PM and so desperatley want to sleep, so I,m drinking a couple of beers to help me do that, but I want to be normal and be able to fall asleep on my own. I wonder now if i will have to become an alcoholic just to get some sleep. Either way my liver will be damged! Im a 39yr old woman, someone help!
Been taking it for years and alot of it too... The only solution I have come to is benedryl because it doesnt have the acetaminophen in it that Tylenol pm does, and its cheaper too. Dont get started on melatonin, it will just cause you brain to stop making it, it is a proven scientific fact that if you start taking something your brain already makes, your brain will stop making it.. this is true for many meds including narcotics which is why we go through detox so bad when we stop taking certain meds. Tylenol PM will also do this, you will have to suffer, or switch to benedryl and TAPER OFF otherwise you'll relapse for sure.
I am the same way I take it every once in a while because I get migraines at night . I would recommend not taking it every night cause you will get depended on it. Basically you won't be able to sleep without it. As for damaging your liver if you only take 2 like the back of the bottle says you will be fine. But if your popping 5 or 6 that's not good for your liver and your stomach  
I would worry about the acetaminophen in that amount. That's a lot of Tylenol. I think if you're trying to sleep the ingredient that is helping most is the diphenhydramine. I would hope that anyone taking Tylenol PM to sleep would consider just taking Unisom, if they don't absolutely need the acetaminophen (Tylenol). Anyway, it sounds like you need to learn how to fall asleep some other way entirely. I second melotonin. I have taken 10 mg a night for a few weeks and I think it's really helping. The sleepiness it brings feels like that good sleep we used to get as kids--not a chemical sleep like Unisom gives me. I hope you find that it helps. There are lots of articles out there on "sleep hygeine" which just means things you should do to give your body a chance to fall asleep in a healthy way. I try to dim the lights, take a hot bath, do relaxing things prior to sleeping. It really helps.
I have been taking pain relief pm for about 10 years now and I finally decided to get off of them bc my hubby and I are ttc this is my first night taking 0 I started taking them and had to keep increasing my dosage bc they stopped working I got up to about 25! Then stopped taking them took unisom the relapsed got back up to15 then last two weeks I've been decreasing my # by 2 every 2 days.. Been having headaches and nausea. I have also have had hot flashes along with feel really sick I hope this goes away.. I'm determined to be DONE with them forever.... But I feel like I'm 50 something and going through menopause omg so hot..,