Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Ultram versus Vicodin

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ultram versus Vicodin

Has anyone had any experience with Ultram for lower back pain?
I've been trying to find information on Ultram.  
Does anyone know anything about the drup Ultram?
I am suffering from servere lower back pain caused by multiple colasped and bulging disks.
I have had four epedural injections in the past year still without relief.
I've been taking 30 Vicodin HPs a week for a year now, but I am still suffering and I am finding it difficult to concentrate after taking Vicodin. I want to stop taking Vicodin before I become more dependant on it than I already am.
My Dr. has suggested switching to Ultram in the past.
Some pharmacist say that Ultram is addictive while others say it is not.
Before I switch to another medication I would like to know what I am getting myself into.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
William

Ultram is reported by the drug company  not to be addicting but I personally know people who are abusing it right now.  They comment that it makes them feel relaxed and relieves depression.  One of my closest friends who has never been addicted to anything is going through a rough time in her life.  She admitted  to me of inventing a story of cluster headaches 24 hours a day in order to get a lot of Ultram from her doctor. She has even asked me to invent a story to get some from my doctor and she would pay me for them.  I won't do that and I have already lectured her. However, if you are taking Vicodin(more addicting than Ultram) and are not psychologically addicted to it and can wean yourself off quickly, then Ultram shouldn't be a problem for you. I would NOT go straight from Vicodin to Ultram without giving your body a chance to totally detox from the Vicodin because it may cause some withdrawal symptoms. I think Ultram is definitely a lesser risk than Vicodin for a person who has chronic pain.  Unfortunately, I think Ultram does cause drowsiness but I am not sure how that compares with the  drowsiness caused by Vicodin.

Melanie, R.N.
Thanks for the info Melanie,

Since I've been taking Vicodin I have noticed darkening around my eyes and eyelids with bags under my eyes, also the whites of my eyes are no longer clear, they have taken on a hazey slightly pink glaze.
The darkening is worse on my left eye, it's darkest in the corner near the tear duct.
It hasn't made any difference how much sleep I get, I usualy get eight hours sleep a night.
Could this be caused by Vicodin or could something else be causing this?

Any information is much appreciated.
Thanks,
William
William,Ultram is definitely addicting.  I an a certified addiction specialist and was checking out this site when I saw your question.  There was a patient in our addiction unit last week who was taking 20-30 Ultram a day.  I have a patient in my own practice who was taking 8 Ultram a day when he ran out.  He went into withdrawal that is typical of opiate withdrawas.  Although Ultram is not structured molecularly as an opiate it binds to the same receptor in the brain and thus has the same addictive properties as a typical opiate.  /The other important issue here is the fact that there is nothing wrong with using Ultram or opiates (codeine, Vicodin, Percocet, etc.) if you have a chronic pain problem and are not abusing your medications by taking more than is prescribed, getting it from more than one doctor, etc.  Chronic pain patients sometimes do become physically addicted to their medicines.  This will happen even if you take the prescribed amount for a long enough time on a daily basis.  But this is different from what we call substance dependence or what you might call addiction.  If you are following your doctor's advice and the pain meds are decreasing your pain and improving the quality of your life, they may be an appropriate treatment for you.  I would of course, look into all of the other non-drug treatments like physical exercise, strengthening, blocks, etc. if you haven't already done that.
I have never heard of darkening around the eyes being caused by hydrocodone and Tylenol (Vicodin) but I know that taking a narcotic can disturb your normal sleep stages which may make you look tired and have the dark circles and red eyes. To be on the safe side,  have another person look at your eyes closely and also check under your tongue.  If there is any distinct orange color in the whites of the eyes, under the tongue, or the color of your skin, you could be one of the people who doesn't tolerate an ingredient in the Vicodin (Tylenol).  If you do see a distinct orange color, go see the doc.  

Melanie, R.N.
Thank you Lisa and Melanie for your information.

It looks like Ultram is not the answer I was looking for to use as a long term medication.
Does anyone know of a medication for chronic pain that is not addicting?

Thank you,
William
I HAVE BEEN TAKING ULTRAM FOR OVER A YEAR AS A BREAK THRU PAIN MED.  IT IS NOT ADDICTING.  I HAVE BEEN ON OXYCONTIN FOR THE SAME PERIOD AND THERE IS NO COMPARISON, FOR BOTH ADDICTION AND PAIN RELIEF.  OXYCONTIN IS A MUCH BETTER PAIN RELEIVING DRUG.
OR ASK YOUR DOC TO PRESCRIBE ORAMORPH.
DON'T TAKE ULTRAM - It is very addicting.  I know. I'm taking it and can't get off it.
I FIND THAT ULTRAM WILL WORK AS WELL AS A NUMBER OF NARCOTIC PAIN RELIEVERS,IF.......YOU TAKE TWO OF THE FIFTY ML. PILLS EVERY FOUR TO SIX HOURS.DOCTORS ARE JUST TO PARANOID TO PRESCRIBE IT STRONG ENOUGH TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.....GOOD LUCK
I WOULD LIKE TO GET PREGNANT.I HAVE ONLY ONE PROBLEM,TMJ,CHRONIC...PAIN.I TAKE 1-2ULTRAM DAILY FOR PAIN MNGT.WHAT CAN I TAKE WHEN I GET PREGNANT?I CANT LIVE WITH THE SEVERE PAIN FOR 9 MONTHS,PLEASE ANY ADVISE????WHAT CAN I TAKE?    THANK YOU ......
I was put on Ultram fo neck pain, it did nothing, I took it for about a week, 4 pills a day at first, then called the doc and said it dident do anything, so they gave me 8 a day, I finily called the doc and told him to give me some REAL pain meds, I stoped taking them the same day and now take percocet witch works very well, Ultram is a joke!
I think I'm going thru withdrawal? I thought this drug was non narcotic! HEADACHE, MUSCLE SPASMS/CRAMPS,ANXIETY AND REAL PHYSICAL PAIN.AM I ALONE?
Donna, you are not alone.  Many Ultram users have reported withdrawal symptoms which are the same as narcotic withdrawal.  Although Ultram in not a narcotic, it binds to the opiate receptors which is why it causes withdrawal.  You need to be treated by an addiction specialist who will give you meds to aid with the withdrawal.
I was taking vicodin es for five years and finally got sick of the dependency. I wanted to endure the pain without the constant need for the narcotic drugs. I switched to ultram, 3-4 times a day at 100mg (50mg is just not enough). When I switched, I had absolutely no withdrawal symptoms. However, when I attempted to go two days without ultram, got chills, etc..flu-like symptoms. I think its more addictive that originally thought. However, its better than the vicodins..never tired, never irritable.
I have been taking Vicodin for about a year and 1/2.  I take
three to four a day.  There are some days that I try not to
take it and feel real fatigued.  I am scheduled for back surgery
in a couple of weeks.  After the surgery, I want to quit taking
this medication.  How long can I expect to feel fatigued?  I
want to know what to expect.  Should I go to a rehab facility?
Should I go to a pain management center?  I want to get off this
medication!!!!  Even though I do not take as much as some
people, I can feel the dependence.  You help is sincerely
appreciated.

At the level you are taking the Vicodin you are not likely to need a rehab facility (certainly not inpatient) to get off them.  An outpatient program wouldn't be a bad idea because they can give you detox meds (making detox easier) and MUCH more importantly they can give you the tools to stay off the drugs which is the hardest part.  However, since many people do not want to go through a program for a variety of reasons, there are other options.  You can locate an addiction specialist in your area (look in Yellow Pages or call treatment centers and ask if they can give you names of doctors doing outpatient addiction treatment) and have the doctor treat you individually on an outpatient basis.  You also could taper off the meds (I've done it numerous times) by cutting down your dosage by about 10% every few days until you are off the pills.  This reduces but does not eliminate withdrawal symptoms.  Another option which is not always a good one is to tell your doctor and ask for his/her help in getting off the meds.  It is vital to tell the doc at some point, otherwise you will be likely to relapse due to the availability of the meds.  However, I would consider the other options first because some docs will cut you off totally and not want to help you (i.e. "go find a treatment center, I can't treat you anymore.")  This leaves you in a bad spot as you can imagine.  With respect to the fatigue, it differs in everyone.  No matter what type of detox or taper you do, there will be some fatigue/depression.  I doubt yours will last more than a few weeks to a month due to your relatively low level and duration of use.  Finally and most importantly, although it seems like the hardest part of painkiller addiction is getting off the meds, that is really the easier part.  The hardest part is STAYING off once you get off them.  For that you really need a program and to learn to change the way you live.  Good luck and please post with any additional questions.
Ultram has provided me with the ability to live a productive and active life for this 55+ woman. The chronic pain of arthritis/ fibromyalgia had made me so fatigued I struggled to get up and accomplish anything.   I have been taking it daily, 2-4 pills/day depending on the level of activity, for two years now.  The major side effect I've noticed is "word recall".  I noticed that it takes a moment or two longer to recall names of people and things for about 2 hours following a dose.  An unstated benefit has been a control of appetite.
HEy Ultram is nopt addictive as long as u don't take it for any other reasons other than ur pain. if u don't have pain and take it u will get addicted to it. but if u take it and auctually have back pain. then ultram is the medicin for u. becuase it auctually concentrates on ur back. I have takin vicodin es and ultram and a bunch of other medicines and i will take ultram over any of them for the pain. I have had cronic (chronic) back pain since i have been 10 years old. so i have been through a bunch of pain killers. and ultram is not addictive at least to me. i have never had withdrawls so i dunno.. think what u wanna think..
***@****

Is Ultram stronger than other pain relievers?  I've been taking it for a couple days now and I experience "trippy" periods of time.  Could that be caused by the medication?
I have been reading all these wonderful comments about how great vicodin is for pain, and the medical community doesn't think the addictive side effects are something to deal with later.  
Well, let me tell you, I am currently in withdrawal from Vicodin.  I have been taking it for 10, yes, ten years.  If you think the withdrawal can't be as bad as heroin, believe me, it is.  Your body aches like the most extreme flu you have ever had.  Your eyes feel so puffy, it feels you are half sleeping.  An overall sick, nervous feeling pervades your mind and soul.  YOu find you can't concentrate, can't go to work and can't get up in the morning.  And all you can think about is where the hell you are going to get more?
I am switching to Ultram, to help the pain of the addiction/slavery, nothing, could possibly hurt as bad as Vicodin and narcotic analgesics.
I was a cocaine addict years ago, and would willingly do it again if I had never taken the first vicodin pill.  If you are considering taking this drug, please don't.  You have no idea.
i've been taking vicodin es for a painful arthritic condition off and on for about six months. recently, my physician switched me to percocet. i fear i'm addicted because i take at least three of these every morning....just to get going. is there another drug that you reccommend i have him switch me to .... to get me off these two drugs?
I took (1) 50mg Ultram and my pain was still very evident, however, when I took another 50mg Ultram 2 hours later, it knocked me on my butt for 24 hours.  I was very dizzy and had trouble focusing.  I think when the pill works, it works great, but don't abuse it.
I have found that when people think they are addicted to their pain meds, they almost always are.  As you describe it, you take three in the morning "to get going."  Since you have chronic pain and will likely therefore need some sort of medication for a long period, I can recommend a great medication to both ease you off the meds you are on AND treat your pain in the future.  The medication is buprenorphine (brand name Buprenex).  In the US it is only available in injection form.  It is great for detoxing off other narcotics without withdrawal.  It is also very good for pain.  If you want to know more, post again.
I have been taking Ultram since 1996 and I can tell you that though the potential for abuse is a lot lower than other narcotic medications you can become addictive physcially.  I have seriously tried to go off Ultram several times over the past years and I can tell you that it is a worse withdrawal then morphine.  Even weaning does not perpare for what your body will go through.  You will experience extreme edginess, no sleep, extreme fatigue, leg cramps, severe depression and absolutely no energy.  The last time I went off Ultram for five days and had to go back on it because my withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms seemed to be getting worse.  I was becomming suicidal, so I went back on it.  Immediately I started to feel normal again.  I suffer from severe chronic pain brought on by Scoliosis and a degenerative pelvic floor.  I also have scleroderma which affects my joints. I take the maximum amount of Ultram - 2 4X a day.  I have recently added Neurontin too.  The combination undoubtedly gives excellent relieve to some of the painful areas and I have to say that Ultram has allowed me to live a fairly normal life.   So though I read of all the reports on Ultram and have personally experienced the withdrawal of Ultram, I still think it is the best option for me if I want to maintain a limited, yet fairly normal life.  My motto is if you have pain... GET RID OF IT HOWEVER YOU CAN!!!!  Nobody should have to endure pain 24 hours.  It is just not humane.
i currently take 40 mg of oxycontin daily dispensed over 2-4 doses. i also take oxycodone 5 mg in 2-4 doses for breakthrough. this past week, i have more pain than usually, and therefore, i've taken some more oxycodone than i usually do, depleting my oxycodone supply. my question is, i have been given some samples of ultram and was wondering if, for a short time, i could utilize the ultram that i have for my breakthrough, just until i can replenish my traditional oxycodone for breakthrough. i think that the oxycontin that i will continue to take will provide me sufficient opiate levels so withdrawl (withdrawal) shouldn't be an issue for concern.
so my question is to ask the group whether this was a prudent course for short time palliation????
i'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or suggestions.
thank you.
steven
i'm currently on 40 mg daily of oxycontin in 2-4 doses. i'm also on 5 mg oxycodone in 2-4 doses for breakthrough. recently i've been in alot of extra pain and have been delpleting my oxycodone. i have been given some samples of ultram. my question is whether it is prudent to temporarily utilize the ultram for breakthrough while i replenish my oxycodone. i'd still be taking the ocycontin, so i shouldn't have any withdrawl (withdrawal) issues. i'd appreciate anyone's comments or suggestions.
thanks
steven
thanks
steven
How about marijuana?  Non-addictive, not harmful, but all of the pain relieving benefits.  If you live in a "medical marijuana" state, check it out with your Dr.  Good luck to you.
Anyone taking any of the above mentioned drugs and feel yourself becoming addicted should immediately check into a drug re-hab. DON'T WAIT. The shame and embarrasement is nothing to jail for forging prescriptions. I know. My marriage was destroyed by Percocet. GET HELP NOW!!!!!!!  It will only get worse.
Anyone taking the above mentioned drugs in this web page needs to get off them immediately. They are addicting, I don't care what anyone says. I have first hand knowledge. If you are addicted already, seek help in a re-hab clinic. The embarrasement that you will face now will be minimum to what you will face once your addiction goes full blown. Jail, loss of children, spouse, family.

These drugs can and do destroy lives.It may take 15 years, but eventually it will happen. Get help NOW !!!!
I participated in a drug study to see if Ultram would be useful as an analgesic like ibuprophen is. I found it to be very physically addictive. Having never been addicted to anything prio to this, I found this very disturbing. Fortunately, the drug study lasted for 3 weeks, and I have yet to see it put on the open market as an over-the-counter medication. There are easier ways to deal with a headache than using ultram, as Mcneil seemed to want to do.
I have taken ultram on and off for the past year.
It gets me just as buzzed as any narcotic drug such as
vicodin, tylenol 3/4 with codeine, or darvocet.
I know I have an addictive personality so I make it a point
to monitor my intake of ultram. Though it is not considered
a narcotic, I think anything can be addicting if used in
excess. If you take it be careful and use common sense.
P.S. I am a chronic back pain and leg pain suffer.
I was on Ultram for approximately 4 weeks for a herniated disc in my lower back.  Through physical therapy and traction my pain has diminished.  Two weeks ago I decided to stop taking Ultram.  I can honestly say I went through some serious withdraws.  I became very agitated, irritated, very cold but sweaty.  The biggest concern I had was lack of sleep.  I could not fall asleep!  I was averaging roughly 1.5-2.0 hours of sleep a night for the first week.  After two weeks, I am doing much better.  I only wake up for about an 1.5 hours each night now and my "nerves" have calmed down quite a bit.  I did see my physician and she told me that I would indeed go through some withdraws.  Unfortanately, she did not tell me this up-front.  I can't recommend Ultram at this time.  I wish anyone the best of luck who is prescribed this type of medication.
In March of the year 2000 I had a torn rotator cuff repair surgery along with an acromioplasty of the left shoulder.  I am a
53 year old diabetic woman who is terrified of drugs.  I did not take any pain meds while in the hospital even though I was hooked up to a pain pump with the drug demerol in it.  I took 3 tylenols at a time and it helped.  I left the hospital with no pain meds prescribed.  I was back at work ten days later and was fairly much restricted with an immobolizer but was able to manage.  Five weeks later I began physical therapy and it was so grueling that I wished for pain meds.  I called my surgeron who prescribed Ultram for me and it never touched the pain.  It did make me sweat quite profusely and I stopped taking it because of this side effect.  Four weeks later I was readmitted to the hospital because I needed manipulation and a steriod injection due to the shoulder freezing up on me and that therapy was not working.  When I woke up I had such tremendous pain that it bore the number 50 on the scale.  I was given two tylenols before I went into the operating room, an injection of demerol thru IV push and was still in terrible pain.  Finally my surgeron gave me two Vicodin.  Relief was instanteous.  Those were the only pain pills I ever took and really don't want to ever take them again.  I threw up so violently with the Vicodin that I flushed them down the toilet.  I use ice and tylenol for pain.  Three months later I still have some discomfort but am drug free.
Ultram is very addicting.Stop taking it before you get hooked
I have recently started taking Ultram in addition to Vicoden ES to manage chronic back pain from degenerative arthritis.  I have found that I've been able to cut the use of Vicoden by about 1/2 by using Ultram in its place (50mg.) before the pain get severe. I feel that it leaves my mind less foggy, and I feel much safer driving while using it.  Now I only use the Vicoden if I have been on my feet and active for quite a while and the discomfort has become more severe.  While I generally go 6 hours or more between meds, when I am having a bad day, I sometimes overlap the two drugs at a shorter interval.  I am happy to have this slightly different drug available in my pain arsenal.
Has anyone suffered stomach/digestion problems as a side effect from Ultram?
Gastrointestinal side effects are common with Ultram.  If they don't subside after a short period of using the drug, contact your physician about switching to another medication.
I have artritis throughout my body & ultram does help control my pain,but it does seem to be addictive I have been taking ultram for 5 months now.At first I was taking 2-4 a day, now Itake 6-10 a day & yes if I try to go one day without taking any ultram, I have withdrawal symptoms.I can't stay awake, I get a busting headache,& I just generally feel like hockey, so please pray for me                                                 amen
I was on vicodin as a pain med for 7 months and could start to feel the addictive properties of it.  My doctor has started me on ultram to get me off vicodin.  It has helped with the withdrawl (withdrawal) type feelings you get when you stop taking Vicodin. It is not as good for pain, but hopefully my pain will lessen with the therapy I have started.  In other words ultram in very small doses has helped me get off vicodin and soon I hope to be off Ultram.  They all make you fuzzy and are both addictive!
I have been using ultram for 2.5 years and have found that it does take away the daily pain problem i have with my hip, and it does help me sleep at night if i take more than is prescribed by my doctor. My biggest concern is in trying to get off of it. I have tried and cannot seem to do it. When i do i get an overwhelming uneasy tingling in my joints and i can't sleep a wink at night, and not to mention the crappy way i feel. if i take more ultram i feel 100 percent better.
I have been using ultram for 2.5 years and have found that it does take away the daily pain problem i have with my hip, and it does help me sleep at night if i take more than is prescribed by my doctor. My biggest concern is in trying to get off of it. I have tried and cannot seem to do it. When i do i get an overwhelming uneasy, disturbing tingling in my joints and it drives me nuts, and i can't sleep a wink at night, and not to mention the crappy way i feel. if i take more ultram i feel 100 percent better.
I have been reading the postings here about Ultram and I feel the need to write something about my experience with this drug.

I have fibromyalgia which causes my neck, shoulders and upper back hurt chronically.  I tried many different things to relieve the pain, Ibuprofen, Relafen, heat, cold, exercise, Tylenol etc.  The Ibuprofen doesn't do enough unless I take more tablets than I am comfortable with taking.  Relafen was good for a time, but then I realized it affected my mental clarity.  I felt like I was in a haze and couldn't come out of it so I stopped taking it and looked for other options.

My doc ended up prescribing Ultram as an experiment to see how it would work.  I find for me it is great.  I take it as prescribed (2 tablets) in the am and before I go to bed.  I do not hurt nearly as much when I take it, and I can function much better than I used to.  I still use hot, cold and exercise as a form of pain relief, but Ultram takes the edge off of the constant ache that I used to have.  

I am also a recovering addict/alcoholic for 12 years and finding something that was not addicting and NON narcotic was extremely important.  I am honest with my doctor about the recovery in my life so they know better than to try to give me Percocet, Vicadin, or some other known narcotic.  I do not feel addicted to Ultram in the slightest.  If I am considered addicted because when I take it I don't hurt, and when I don't take it I do hurt - so I choose to take it - then so be it.  

It does not mess with my mind, it does not make me feel stoned, it does not make me mentally unclear as with Relafen.  I do not feel it helps with stress, depression or anxiety - either lessening or making it worse.  As far as someone taking 20 or 30 pills a day I do not see why because the effects are not worth taking that many.  If there would be a dependance I would see it with Vicadin - which does make me feel stoned.  Or vailum - which alters my mental state.

I did alot of research on Ultram before I started taking it over two years ago and the same stories existed then.  Pro's and con's.  

It's a personal choice I think.  If you are prone to abuse pills without a program, then maybe you would abuse Ultram.  But for me - it doesn't make me high so why would I want to spend the money to get more?

Good luck.
Brandi
As you say, YOU made a choice to take this drug, and if it helps your pain, great.  Just don't kid yourself IT IS ADDICTIVE, even the manufacturer now admits that!  It binds to the narcotic receptors in the brain, just as narcotics do.  It's withdrawal is longer and worse than most opiates, such as Vicodin.  I know, I had a MUCH worse time getting off Ultram than I did with Vicodin and the withdrawal lasted 4-8 weeks!  Furthermore,  the manufacturer WARNS doctors NOT to prescribe it to those with addiction histories.  Your doctor obviously either doesn't know this (as many docs seem not to) or isn't worried about it because he won't be the one trying to get off it.  Do what you want but don't kid yourself into thinking you're not jeopardizing your recovery--you are.  Good luck to you, you're gonna need it!
Narcotic pain meds are not the answer, only in exteme cases. they are all addictive and have severe withdrawal symtoms (symptoms). I started taking lorcet for cronic (chronic) severe headaches and couldn't stop. I finally found a clinic that will help with the withdrawals. They prescribed a medication called Suboxone, it took away all of my withdrawals, and I was able to function as normal. If it wasn't for that I would still be hooked. If you are hooked, do an internet search on Suboxone and find a doctor near you. I PROMISE IT SAVED MY LIFE!!!
I have been taking ultram for 3 years now and not for pain. I have severe depression and anxiety. I was taking prozac as my last med. I take 2-3 50mg pills per day, no more or no less. I can tell you that ultram has changed my life! My business was failing due to my bad attitude and now is thriving. I am for the first time in my life happy and never have felt normal. Friends and familly have stated that they have noticed an unbeleivable change in me. I now can lead a very productive and happy life. I take this medication as a treatment, Yes if I go off I would experience bad withdraw. But guess what? You quit taking prozac after 5-10 years and tell me how you feel, withdraw! Your body will get used to anything and you will withdraw changing your habit. Drinking,smoking,soda,coffee,chocolate ect..and yes its physical. Withdraw is a fact of life, If your not abusing something to get high so you can't function, then what the hell are you doing wrong? Why do I not deserve to be happy like everyone else that has there brain working properly. And yes, I have tried all the other drugs and there is nothing like Ultram/Tramadol. It does effect everyone differently, but its a life saver for me and never plan on stopping taking it.
Just my 2 cents on your drug subject.
I have been on Ultram/ Tramadol for over a year now.  my doctor prescribed it for bad lower back pain and hip pain due to severe menstrual cycles.  I now take 2-6 a day, every day.  I fear that im addicted and that its ruining my relationship with my boyfriend.  At first, I felt on top of the world when I first started taking it.  I felt more talkative and was able to be happy. It helped with my depression as well.  Now, I feel like I've become an irritable ***** and was wondering if that is normal when addicted to pain medicine such as ultram?  Also, if I was to come clean and want to get off this prescription, how can I do without being admitted somewhere, because I am a student in college and cant afford to miss class.  Are there ways to do it as an out patient and in a private matter?  Im afraid of going through withdrawal because I feel it as soon as I wake up if I don't take my daily dose right away.  What do I do?  IM scared!
I xan tell you 1st hand that vicodin,percocet, morphine,oxycotin, hydrocodone,and ultram are addicting. My fiance' is addicted to hydrocodone,vicodin and percocet,and I take ultram for pain in my thumb. Whatever you choose to use for pain management, talk to your doctor about everything and if you feel you are becoming addicted to any of it, let the doctor know, so you wont have to go through what my fiance' goes through everyday. He wants off of them, but he cant find anyone that will help, and he has gone at it cold turkey and rehab. Please if you are going to take these kinds of meds, please do it under the supervision of a doctor. I am afraid that one day he will go to bed and wont wake up. Please heed my advise. If I can help just one person, I will be soo happy, because I have tried so hard to help him.
I started taking Ultram as a lower back pain reliever. I've been a bulimic for the last seven years... the week I started taking Ultram for pain, my bulimia almost disappeared! I also felt happier and less nervous. I was very honest about it with my doctor and he was willing to do a trial prescribing me Ultram for my bulimia, and it's helped unimaginably.
I've never gotten withdrawal symptoms either... sometimes I don't take them for a couple days and it's never affected me physically or mentally (besides the return of my bulimia). I also only take 3 or 4 50mg per day, so I can't speak for those who take more than that.
I am also a past drug abuser (morphine and alcohol) and have never had the urge to abuse these pills, or find a way to get more than I've been prescribed. I would definitely recommend Ultram for anyone worried about dependency or withdrawal symptoms, or for someone with an eating disorder who is affected badly by antidepressants, like I am.
While I respect your comments regarding your ability to discontinue Ultram as needed, I want to caution readers that this is not the case for most people.  Having been through several back operations, I had asked my physician for a "non-narcotic" option to avoid Vicodin.  I was given Ultram and found it to be very effective in controlling pain.  I never abused the daily prescribed limits but can tell you that I found it to be infinately harder to discontinue then Norco/Vicodin.  I have found that the medical community in general is still far behind the curve in understanding the addictive nature of this drug and cleary, the producer of the drug has done their part in continuing this misconception.  

While it is a very effective pain reliever, my goal is to make sure that nobody begins taking the medication without a true understanding the extremely addictive nature of this drug.  Clearly the moral of this story is anything that you put in your mouth that makes you feel this good has to have problems associated with it...be careful!!!
I have been taking Tramadol 50mg, 2 tablets 2 to 3 times a day for 6 months for lower back pain. I have sometimes gone 2 weeks without taking it if my back is not flaring up. I spoke with my physician about the possibility of addiction and he said " so far it has only proved addicting with certain personalities" I am quessing he means addictive personalities. Please don't get me wrong, when my back goes out I have GOT to have it  but it does not effect me mentally anywhere near the way Vicodin and the others did. I feel no effects other than the relief of pain.
I juat recently had major surgery to reconstruct my hip, to try to delay a replacement.   I am a little over a month out.  I discovered a year ago after having a hysterectomy, that the percocet that was prescribed after that surgery really helped with my hip pain.  I was only taking percocet at night so I could sleep but then the pain was worsening at an accelerated rate, so I started taking more. My doctor gave me ultram to help during the day.  The first week was great.  I still had pain, but the drug made me not care.  After 2 weeks, it stopped working (2 q 4hrs)  so I went back to the percocets.  I stopped taking them too fast and felt like hell.  I them realised that it was withdrawl (withdrawal) so I started taking again and weaned off a little slower and did fine.  By time I had surgery, I was taking 12-16 percocets a day to get just a little pain relief.  After surgery, I was given Neurotin, Oxycotin 10mg and percocet for break through.  I have been on vicodin for a week now to wean off of the percocet but I'm finding that 7-8 hours is the max I can go without getting sick.  None of these drugs are touching the pain.  I think I can deal with the pain if it wasn't for the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms!!  Any advise would be much appreciated!!  BTW....I have been living with major orthopaedic problems for about 20 years now ( I'm 37) and have had 7 knee surgeries along with the hip surgery and I took NO drugs post-surgically for all the knee surgeries (I now regret that though).  I don't like taking narcotics, but I guess its better than living in severe pain.
Oh I forgot one more thing about the ultram....the appetite supression was great!!  I lost 8 lbs in less than 2 weeks.  I think that was the only thing I liked about it.  
Regrading Ultram 50mg. If you have been on any kind of opiates for a long period of time.....Vicodin, percocet...etc.. PLEASE be aware that if you stop you can put yourself at risk for seizures. I have had two friends suffer from seizures because the abruptly switched from Vicodin to Ultram. Ultram lowers you seizure thrushold and can trigger seizures. So PLEASE PLEASE just be careful.

One other thing regarding everyone's comments. I believe ultram can be addicting, but not as much as other actually narcotics. (In my opinion)
All I can say is don't use Ultram! It is very addicting. If you do use it don't abuse it.It's killer to get off of!! I know personally :\
just a few things
I have been addicted to narcotics for 7 years now.I take about 15-20 percocet or lortab a day,anywhere from 5mg to 15mg.I started taking them for severe monthly cramps and severe headaches.But nothing could prepare me for the addiction I would soon come to realize I had!It has officially bagan to truin my life!I have tried more than once to get off,but usually only lasting a couple of days.I just cannot handle the severe flu-like symptoms!or the restless leg syndrom (syndrome) you get a night.I did however successfully get off with both of my pregnancies,but after my first born I gat a horrible infection in one of my breast and started all over on my addiction,then after my 2nd born I had a c-section and once again.....so here I am addicted and completely sad and worried!So I finally took action!and the results......Ultram ER 200mg 1 once a day.I know little about this drug,it was prescribed to me to help with the pain of withdrawal,good idea or bad?well hopefully good!I have 15,2 weeks is usually the amount of time I have bad withdrawals.I think I have hitt rock bottom so I am hoping I will have a successfull recovery with this method.But now im reading where people are saying it shouldn't be prescribed to addicts...?????so im a little worried,and im also worried it won't help with the bad bad withdrawal pain.So my ? is...has anyone ever used ultram to get off narcotics...if so,has it worked?and what can I expect from this drug?I donnot seek a high,I only seek something that will allow me to stop cold turkey and take away the withdrawal pain.I am hoping 15 days will not be enough to get me addicted...yet im not sure,like I said,I know nothing about this drug.Any help would be awesome.P.S,I have tried weening off of the narcotics...it never works(for me),I usually only can quit(long and short periods of time)when I do cold turkey.Thanks for any feed back..like I said I know little about this.
I am also addicted to ultram and percs and Ultram is very very addictive and the withdraws are much worse than percs or vics
Some people are prone to addictions no matter what.  It could be prescription medicine, alcohol, street drugs, gambling, or even something like shopping.  You have to ask yourself WHY.  Ultram can be addicting because it works.  I've been on it for over ten years.  It helps me have a "normal" life.  Without it I am in constant pain from chronic arthritis.  But when I take it, the pain is dulled to the point that sometimes I actually forget I have arthritis.  Sometimes I forget to take it (obviously I'm not addicted to it) and by the next day I feel like the tinman in the wizard of oz.  I can hardly move.  For all of you who are addicted to it, I would advise professional help.  But there are a lot of us who need to be on it, who can control the dosage, and who feel like Ultram is getting a bad rap on this forum.  If the "cure" is worse than the "cause" for you, then stop taking It.  But, as for me, I'll probably continue to take it until there's something better out there to ease my pain.  Does anyone know of anything any better?  With as few side effects?  That is legal?  Or as easy to get?  That actually works?
I had been on ultram and gabapentin for a year. I found ultram helpful at first - it really helped my back pain (I have spodylolisthesis) but I began finding it difficult to concentrate and would sleep a lot. After a month or so I started getting immune to the ultram which is when I started on gapapentin aswel. Again, it worked for a while but the pain soon overcame the pain killers.

I tried accupuncture, tens, deep heat, massage, osteotherapy, physiotherapy and all sorts of other things including herbal remedies. Nothing worked so becoming desperate I tried hypnotherapy. After two sessions I came straight off the painkillers and my back now feels 70% better. I don't know whether I was addicted or not - maybe the hypnotherapy changed my midset and gave me the confidence to come off need the painkillers or something but now I'm not even on paracetamol. It still hurts but is bareable. I know it's non-conventional but it sounds as though many people are looking to a better solution to vicodin and tramadol/ultram. If you are getting desperate please just try the hypnotherapy. It may sound crazy but I had 3 sessions alltogether and I can't remember feeling so little pain since I was 10 years old. It's worth a try and doesn't screw you up like the drugs.
Just trying to help.
I have only been on Ultram for not even a week now..coming off Percocet 10mg/325, I have an unusally high tolerance for meds it seems..that or just plain out addicted.  I do however suffer from serious back/shoulder and neck pain, so it a horrible fact that I need these prescriptions.  I cant tell you the horrible withdrawls I had last week coming off the percs.  I actually had my husband take me to the emergency room due to the severe pain and cramps I was experiencing.  It was to be expected considering the amount of time I had been on them.  I chose to get off the percs. myself, not the Doc.  At the emergency room they gave me a drug called Clonodine to help with the withdrawls, and they werent great but subsided the pain until I made it to my pain management 3 days later.  Because this was a decision that I made to get off I asked the Doctor to prescribe me something non-narcotic but useful, thats when he gave the the Ultram...needless to say, I am very confused about all these comments about this drug being addictive and will experience withdrawls coming off....I DONT EVER WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT HORRIBLE FEELING AGAIN!!!!  However, I dont seem to be getting the relief from the Ultram nor the Awake affect that I did from my Percs.  not to mention the not so great feeling in my belly.  I know most meds take time to get the full effect, but Im still in pain and need to function.  I have kids and a life!  Any Advise for something that will actually work without the tired feeling I have been experiencing from the Ultram?
Recently moved to different state and I am stuck waiting for my appointment with the new doc.  Ran out of vics last night and down to tramadol  lexapro and somas. I dont usually use the vicodin and tramadol together hence the reason I have the bottle in the first place.Just started the lexapro this morning. I'm NOT a doctor !!! Am I doing this right? I feel so nervous and confused and the pain level is very high. Should I try to get some kind of vitamin or something??? I need advice quick!!!  What will help me?
This is a very old post...Go to post question , then ask and that will help alot more
i have a number of physical problems (protruding lumbar disks, fibromyalgia, headaches, stiff neck [residual from a sub-arachnoid {brain} hemorrhage])  . i find that vicodin works best for neck and head pain, and tramadol works best for the pins and needles neuropathic pain from the lower back. a almost never take both in the same day. the moist tramadol i have ever taken in one day is 2 50mg, and the most vic i have ever taken are 4 5mg. i usually combine these with Robaxin to relax teh muscles. also take 900mg of neurontin to prevent muscle stiffness at night.
  i have expressed concern about addiction to my rheumatlogist and primary, and was told to not worry, that i ma taking them for a genuine need, and am not taking that much. Like one poster said, getting pain to a bearable level is the primary goal. If that requires using addictive substances, then so be it. Without meds, i would be bed-ridden, pissed off, despondent, and suicidal. So we have to weight our priorities.  
http://shurl.net/75f
Well, I thought Id add my two sense here. I live in South East Asia where Tramadol (Ultram) is available over the counter. Im young, like to party every once in awhile, and have used it actually as a bit of an 'upper' - Id take just one when  Id go outv for the evening (as others probably know, Ultram keeps you up and perky compared to other pain killers). It produces a great high mixed with alcohol plus good music and people, etc,etc. Although, I soon came to the point to where I dont feel as 'social' or enjoy myself as much without it. This is the scary part. Im trying to ween myself off it on the weekends when I go out, when Id usually take it at parties, etc. Just to warn people (if you were somewhat curious about its addictive qualities like me, did a search, and found this site), this stuff (Ultram/Tramadol) can become addictive, believe me.

Also, a question for someone who might know: is stomach acid/indigestion a common side effect of Ultram?
The MD on this post earlier said it was definetly addicting. Many others said it too. Some few who take it don't think it's addicting but the overwhelming concensious is that it is, and I know it is. Besides it affects brain chemistry  and isn't very good for pain. It should be a no brainer not to take it even though some idiot docs give it out like candy.
Not all people have the same reaction to ULTRAM. Some people do not get addicted, some do. Some people do not get pain relieved by the drug, some do. I personally became addicted to ULTRAM. I started out taking 2 a day. When I decide to quit, after about a year, I was taking 8 a day. I was waking up in the middle of the night just to take some. The withdrawal period was very, very hard.

Before I tried ULTRAM I was taking VICODIN. I never became addicted to VICODIN. I was taking it for 2 years when my doctor became concerned and had me stop. I was able to stop with little or no problem. I waited a month before starting ULTRAM. (just taking Aleve or asprin).

Some doctors (mine) are scared to prescribe strong pain killers because of the scrutiny they undergo. So I have started taking ULTRAM again. I take 1 tablet a day, but only on Friday - Sunday (when I am the most physical). I go through a mini-withdrawal every Monday, but it is not bad.
I now take 4 ultrams and 4 robaxin daily yet my pain is still very severe with no help from either, pain still severly occurs. But i have found that vicodin affects me a little bit stronger than either of the ones i am perscribed to now. Yet vicodin isnt very strong, just my opinion on things!
Vicodin is Stronger than ultram and soon Ultram will be a controlled drug as it is in other countries. The worst thing about it is the mood elevation or antidepressant effect it has. It makes it really hard to stop and it's not a very good painkiller.It is also thought to be hard on the liver.
A detox approach for Tramadol (Ultram and Ultracet). Ok, so you've discovered that tramadol is HIGHLY addictive (at least for you, personally). I am recently coming cold turkey off a 150-200 mg per day habit, and have made some interesting discoveries that I hope will also help others. Combined with research concerning the psycho-pharmacology, they make sense.

Things to do:

1) Don't panic and/or beat yourself up.

2) Make a DETERMINED EFFORT to break your addiction.

3) If you are taking more than 50 mg (1 tab for me) begin to taper off. For that, find your comfort level. Be persistent here because, as for myself, I missed the feeling of well-being that I got with a higher dose as I began to taper off. This is where you must let your determination kick in. A 50 mg per week reduction seems reasonable. Push the envelope here if you can tolerate a bit more discomfort.

3) If you are physically able, exercise, exercise, exercise!! This will help boost your mood and help counter the opiate effect of the meds. Sexual activity in the evening was helpful for me as well. At night take some Tylenol or ibuprofen to help you sleep. Expect your sleep to be disrupted for a little while. I accidentally found that Robitussin (dextromethorphan) helped me sleep during the most difficult period, since I happened to have a cold while I was trying to quit. Careful here, though, start out taking half the recommended dose and see how it affects you. The clinical reason is that dextromethorphan will help moderate your serotonin levels, which Tramadol increases.

Warning: if you are taking MAO inhibitors DO NOT take dextromethorphan, as this can be very dangerous.

4) Drink a strong caffinated drink during the day, preferably early in the morning. Why? Tramadol acts to prevent norepinephrine reuptake, and as you taper off, caffeine will help counteract the effects of the reduction of the norepinephrine.

5) Along with your exercise, take care to maintain a good diet to help fortify yourself against reduced or poor sleep.

6) While I did not try it myself, one would expect St John's Wart to offer some relief because of the SSUI effects of Tramadol.

I had to detox because I was running out of pills. The reason Tramadol is so addictive for some is probably due to the fact that you are dealing with 3 separate addictions: opiate, norepinephrine, and serotonin. Another thing: it's probably not a good idea to substitute another addictive drug (though arguably caffeine is) for Tramadol.

If you try this 'method' please give me some feedback about how it works for you. Good luck to all!

Hi all, day 3 of withdrawing from Tramadol. Slept a little better last night, and feel great this morning. Seems to be all downhill from here. Plan on getting some st John's wart today. Some time back I remember it having a relaxing effect. No more Ultram for me! If you'd like to email me:

***@****

Best Wishes,

Ken
Hey Ken, start a new post. You have some valuable information that could help others. This orginal post is from 1999. I didn't want you to get over looked.
Good luck coming off tramadol. Its one evil drug!!!! I've been off trams for 120 days.
I had neck fusion two years ago, along with chron's  was really taking allot of Oxy just to get through the day, when I finally ran out of pain meds and ended up in hospital thinking I had some type of infection (Withdraws) I never wanted to go through that again, after a bit the pain returned and the desire to live a normal day started to change my mind, I spoke with my doctor about the fear of Opiod withdraws and he putt me on Ultram ER 300MG.  It cost allot around 250.00 a month but works for me as good as 2 20MG oxycontin did.  You must be detoxed before starting or you will wish you did, will cause bad withdraws if not, not all the way, just enough to stop binding, after that they will help with withdraws.  I hope that helped
As for the withdraws, I did stop for a week to test the effect, and got restless legs a bit at night, but nothing at all like OXY  OMG if I was not a god fearing man, cold turkey off of 120MG a day of oxy, (high amount after surgery) I might have not been able to handle it.  The thing is if your taking this med for a real problem, have a doc that trust you, you will not have a problem, and he will help you with other stuff, IE Ambien, Valium, enough to get you through (not high)  If it works for you, never be scared of a med, this is what a doctor is for.
From everything i've read all over the net and fromy my own experience , everyone has different experiences with prescription drugs and so there is no point in asking for advice from another person because you could get all these effects or none of them. It depends on your body make up IMO.  For example - Valium does nothing for me, no matter how many i take (disapointing), at one point i took 10 at once because i was not getting any effects from lower doses but then all i got was anxiety and a headache. it doesn't make me relaxed or sleeppy atall. So thats me.  And Ultram/Tramadol, i was taking 100mg generic capsules , about 4 or 5 a day because they made me feel confident and a slight buzz, and antidepressed. (better than my actual prescribed antidepressants were doing). But when i ran out of the Ultram capsules each time, man did i have the worst withdrawel! I went through 8 days of hell. Like the worst flu effects ever. Bed ridden, dizzy head, aches and pains, my stomache swelled up, my intenstine was enflamed and throbing and felt like it was being pinched all over it. Basically major IBS for a week causing so much pain that i couldn t sleep for 5 days  in a row and ended up with horrible sleep deprevation and depression. I wondered if it was ever going to go away. I couldn't even get to the doctor because i was too bad to get out of bed.  I got this same 7 day withdrawel/illness 3 months in a row. I finally worked out that it was Ultram doing this to me , because when i stopped taking it, i didn't get the illness back.  It ***** because i liked Ultram but im scared to ever go through that withdrawel week of hell again.  I couldn't eat or anything.  ......So basically im saying , everyone reacts different., So there is no point in asking "Will i be ok? Or "Is so and so better than taking so and so?"  You just need to try it and see how you react.  End of.
P.S- I still don't know if i got this major withdrawel pain because my Ultram was generic from India. But i have no way of getting official brand name Ultram to compare.
I would love to try Vicodin but thats impossible in the UK (i think). My prescribed pain killer is 30mg tabs of Dihycrocodiene. If you take 4 of those at once you are chilled out but you get constipation and physical dependancy because waking in the morning hurts untill you take more Dihydrocodine.
If anyone wants to trade some offical Vicodin for some official Dihydrocodine, let me know.
Ok I see alot of comments about ultram vs Hydrocodone or Vicodin and here is my experience and a Question as well. I took ultram for 1 year and ultimately ended up on Ultram 300mg ER (Extended Release)
and I must admit that I didnt mind it, I would on occasions feel sort of cold chills but not often but more amazingly it completely altered my thoughts, I have always been ADD and I often suffer from anxiety. Ultram really helped with it, period. It did help more then any other drug I tried from therepist. I called the PRI CARA the manufactuer and they said a lot of folks reported the same thing. However about six to eight months into the drug I would go through mood swings, and often
wouldnt realize it. Once I realized it, I was able to stop them but that is
probably more of my body chemistry reacting to the drug then the normal reaction. So I finally quit taking Ultram a week ago, I spent 20 days dosing down from 300mg to 200mg ect.. as per my Dr. Having seen people have problems when they would stop cold turkey. The first two days of not taking it were pure HELL for me, I felt Flu symptoms, aches all over my body and ringing in my ear that would pulse to the point of being really scary sometimes, very weird symptoms, hard to
describe. So I began taking vicodin just to get relief from the symptoms at night before bed, otherwise go ahead and start the coffee its an all nighter. Now 4 days later I still have symptoms, does anyone know if thats normal? How long should detox and symptoms last? Whatever the answer I will never take the **** again, if I have a problem I will go for VICODIN. by the way I suffered from an Intramuscular Hemengeome
which would cause moderate to severe pain above my Knee, I had surgery four months ago and the condition has subsided.
Just be careful. Ultram is addictive, as is Vicodin. You are fortunate to have a Dr that recognized the need to taper off the Ultram. Most seem to think that Trams are not addictive. The symptoms you described, sound like withdrawal. Could be you tapered too quickly before quitting the Ultram.
I've taken Ultram since I was 16 years old because I have Lupus and chronic pain in my muscles and joints because of it.  My doctor said it wasn't addicting, and if you are RESPONSIBLE, it isn't.  Until I moved out of my mother's house she monitored my doses so I always took the correct amount (6 times daily, 50mg) and if I had to miss a few days due to not being able to get to the pharmacy, and I just had my normal aches and pains --not withdrawals.  I know what withdrawal feels like, I've had surgery & had to come off of hydrocodone and it was a *****, but after a week you're fine.

So here it is from BOTH sides:  I take it responsibly.  It CAN be abused.  I did that a couple of times and I don't intend on doing it again because it affects my IBS a LOT.  Unfortunately the FDA has just scheduled this drug right along with things like Lortab and Oxycontin which is CRAZY.  It is not nearly as addicting.  The people that become addicted to this stuff are the people who want to try it out for fun, then keep doing it for fun, and realize "Oh ****, I've done this for 2 weeks and it doesn't feel good coming down!"  LOTS of drugs are like that.  Yeah, they can be "fun," I learned that the first time I took my doses too close together lol, but nothing to freak out about.

The people who become "addicted" to these things more-than-likely have had some history of abuse or have other psychological issues that make it easier for them to become addicted to certain drugs.  If these are taken CORRECTLY, you won't get high, unlike Lortab, Oxycontin, etc...  People with NO prior problems with addiction become addicted to those medications every day.  Tramadol is a great alternative to these medications and should not be considered so evil as it has been.

I normally don't get so radical about defending something, but this stuff changed my life.  I wouldn't be able to sit here long enough to type this out because of my joint pain and back pain.  Being as young as I am and being FROZEN with pain was no life to live.
Summary:

Ultram:

Pros:
- Lasts up to 12 hours
- Less addictive
- Pretty much identical euphoria to Vicodin (although not experienced by everyone)
- Can still function normally

Cons:
- Irritability
- Takes longer to kick in
- Occasional "nodding out" between hours 8 and 12
- Possible seizures if prone to them

Vicodin:

Pros:
- Kicks in quickly
- A more "drunken" euphoria
- Works for everyone

Cons:
- Lasts 4-6 hours
- Larger strain on liver with high amounts of acetaminophen
- Very addictive
- Can't function as well

Taken both over 5 years recreationally.  I like Ultram more than oxy's.  The only thing better than Ultram that I've had was something intravenous that was 8x stronger than morphine in the hospital.  Don't get me wrong, all opiates are great :)    
Just tried Ultram - not too worried about the addictive part, but it didn't seem to do anything. ER doc prescribed it for my migraines. I already take everything else. I was pretty excited to try something new. Is it like morphine, it either works for you or it doesn't ( in my case, it doesn't)? I'm just so sick of taking vicodin and stadol and having to go to the hospital and getting shots. Even if the doc actually gives me something I am so immune to it I could drive myself home (I don't). Dolobid, Demerol, etc. I miss when the shots actually knocked me out.
I have been taking "Ultram" for eleven years and the saying "You cannot become addicted if you truly have pain," is VERY TRUE. The thing is I believe because I have taken these for so many years that in a sense I have become addicted. I can think of three times over the last eleven years when I thought wow, I don't need to take this today I feel good! But then I became depressed and agitated so in my opinion I believe after a number of YEARS of taking the same medication(s) you can become addicted. I take 8 per day of 50 MG. I feel it is just too many but I have a doctor who is educated in stupidity and that's where it ends.
I have Hep C, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, DDD and CDD plus four bulging disks. I have been suffering since 1994 at age of 34. I'm sick of these doctors who'd rather see you commit suicide than give you something that will actually help you. I am a hermit from my pain and diseases and most of them just do not care. Well, anyway good luck to all you who suffer, contact the National Pain Society and get something going so the ones who truly DO have and suffer daily from chronic pain (not just addicts- scoffing). can have a better life.
Has anyone thought to try thr fentanyl patch?  Time release over 72 hours, no pills to take, no risk of taking too much... It is a very strong narcotic but it works very well for chronic pain.
I have been taking 20-25 , 10MG. Vicodan for 10 years.
Most I get perscribed.  
However, out of nowhere, my doctor is switching me to Ultram.
From reding these post, it appears Ultram is very nasty to wthdraw from. Much worse then Opiates.
  I cannot tell my doctor I do not want Ultram. because I fear the doctor will get susoicious and cut me off. He may anyway.
  I know people who get Methadone to controll pain. because they cannot find a doctor to perscribe either enough Opiates, or simply do not perscribe them, from fear of the DEA.
From reading these posts, I now realize how radically different both Vicadin and Ultram effect different people, so please keep in mind that this is only my personal experience.  I survived a bad plane crash that caused severe damage to my neck, ribs and low back.  The past 6 years have gotten worse every year.  2 years ago I slept 3 hours a night on a good night, waking up every time I moved from the pain.  I could barely form full sentences, the pain was so bad during the day.  I finally sought help from an internal medicine doctor to help manage my situation.  I have addiction both in my past and heavily in my family, so I was extremely nervous about using pain medication and avoided it for years while trying alternative medicine, physical therapy and injections.  Ultimately, I chose to just suffer with the pain....until it was finally on the verge of destroying every aspect of my life.  When I met with the doctor, we settled on a course of medication that has me using (2)-50mg of Ultram every 4 hours during the day but then switching to (2)-10/500 of Vicadin at bedtime to help me get some sort of sleep.  Although the Ultram only takes the edge off, it is enough that I have been able to be steady at work and home.  I also average about 6 hours sleep at night now which is a great improvement.  I still have some bad days but I have made it now 2 years of mixing these two medications and have zero side effects from either medication.  My wife also meets with my doctor (which I highly recommend) to help keep me accountable of how much I use and any change in my behavior or health that I might try and hide.  I admit that I have not tried to come off the medication so I can't speak to withdrawl (withdrawal), but I encourage anyone with chronic pain to talk with their doctor about using this approach.
I have severe chronic low back and hip pain. I also have severe nerve damage in my back/spine which creates severe pain also. My doctor has had me on Darvecot for about 5 months, and it now doesnt work unless I take a full day to day and half of them, which then shorts me at the end of the week. I will admit I love the high I get from them, but it also does help with my pain to a moderate level. It does allow me to live a somewhat normal life while I take them, and belive me my quality of life has drasticlly changed since my pain has increased the past year.
However, I told my doctor yesterday that I was having a flare up, and that the Darvecot is not working as well, so he prescibed me Ultriam......
Im very unsure about this medicine. Its not a narcotic, will it help wth the pain? And I will be honest, I wonder if I will get the same high..... I have been told by 3 seprate specialists that I am unfixable until medical techonolgy catches up...... so my pain is forever, no surgery will fix me at this moment. I am worried the doctor just assumes i am abusing the med and that is why he put me ont Ultaraim..... im afarid to ask him... it mite make him more suspicious.  Also, should I tell him if it does work as well, hoping he wont just think im trying to get drugs...not for my severe pain but for fun of it? Should I tell him? Should I take the chance? Does Ultraim give you "extra energy" like Darvacet or Vicoden?
Ultram is tramadol and very highly addictive.It also has antidepressant properties similar to effexor which is a cousin drug.It is very difficult to stop this drug and it causes a lot of rebound pain,I do not think it is wise to take tramadol because it is a sneaky drug that grabs you and is hard to stop.I know the medical profession says it is not addicting,but it is.
i just  want a home remedy to stop withdrawel i am on 3rd day and i need something i really dont want this anymore but everytime i do this icant take the systoms and take it so i wont go thru it again   and it goes on and on i just need something to stop the withdrawel and i know i can do this    ,,,ANYONE help
Hi & Welcome,

You are tapering off of what?

In the upper right hand corner of this page are the health pages. In there you will find The Thomas Recipe as well as the Amino Acid Protocol. Both contain very helpful supplements.

I hope this helped. Keep posting to let us know how you are doing, and ask any questions along the way.

Also, if you go to the top of this page and hit the green Post A Question button, you can start your own thread which is easier to follow. This one is 11 years old and may get lost in the shuffle.
when i was a pill head i don't know i was all about the vics and painkillers i did take the ultrams a time or two but thought they were just garbage but after reading some of these i guess there just little devils like there  narcotic painkilling friends vickey and perkey...
I'm sorry to hear about your pain & I wish I had an answer for you rather than a warning.  My experience with tramadol is that I never craved it or increased my dose but I totally developed tolerance.  By not increasing the dose, I was in constant withdrawal with insomnia, weakness, increased pain.

If you read Emily Post's journal, you will see that my experience is not unusual.  Getting off tram was also not "just a week" of gradually feeling better.  Symptoms can come & go for weeks as the antidepressant part of tramadol which is just like effexor, strings out the withdrawal for many people.

Some people do report taking tramadol for extended periods without tolerance issues but watch out if you find yourself increasing your dose as people on this website have found themselves taking 20 pills a day.

Best wishes to you.
Ultram is the worst! Stay away
I am 57 years old. I have been on class1, and class2, for over 15 years. going to rehab never worked, meetings too, never worked.
so i decided to try, ultram. this drug has opiod properties. ask your pharmacist to give you the page that comes in the bottle, itself.
when I started ultram, I felt a small chipanzee on my back. then the chimp turned into a, silver back.so I played doctor for myself. after taking 4 ultram all in one time, the monkey left me.
so if that does not tell you it is addivtive, nothing will.
withdraw takes, 7 to 10 days. and it's a, *****!!
getting off of class 1, and class 2, was less painful, then, ultram.
my advice to anyone is, DON'T GO THERE. Ultram use, that is..
There are many people who can take Tramadol for their pain and have relief. One thing about Tramadol that I have not seen mentioned here, is that it does have SSRI properties to it, so it can be rx'd to have A/D relief as well. Many people including myself have been able to take this medication without abusing or misusing it because of it's A/D and pain relief.
I am fearful yes of becoming addicted, however I'll be honest, I feel much better taking this over any Hydrocodone combo, any morphine, Oxy, Fentanyl, etc. I know it might seem odd, but it's not just about the "high" that the others would potentially give, but Tramadol for me just makes me feel better. The pain is treated enough for me to have a relatively productive day. My overall quality of life has increased in such a positive way and I am thankful that I have found a med that doesn't tear up my liver or require me to misuse it in order to find any relief.
The problem with chronic pain is, many people feel that they should be able to go through their day with zero pain. That's not always the case, there will always be pain, but being able to control or subdue it enough to live, is what's important.

I think everyone is different, I think posts telling anyone to stay away from it "because it sux" is non productive. Each person reactes differently to it, just like any other medication. It might not work for others, while it works great for some. I've helped treat people who were severe drug addicts and are able to use this for their pain without misusing, or abusing it, which is very rare and very positive to share.

I do believe it has addictive properties to it, but any and I mean ANY true opiod that others preach of and any SSRIs all have the potential to cause someone to become addicted to them as well as having withdrawals from them.
I have heard that kratom helps with opioid addiction (research it online, but make sure the seller is credible), it is legal in most areas and helps with certain types of pain - it is natural. I have used it for pain and it does take the edge off. I currently take Ultram as needed for pain, but I don't really like the way they make me feel so no chance of addiction for me. I also don't like hydrocodone and it doesn't really help my back, the Ultram does, but I only take it when I absolutely "have" to.

If you are dependent on opioid and want to get off, please check out kratom. I have heard of many use it with great success and no withdrawal symptoms.
In 2004, my twin brother died of an Oxycontin overdose while in the hospital. He had been using (and abusing) it for years for chronic back pain. The day he was to have back surgery to install a morphine drip into his back, he injested 100mg of Phentinel (?) because he was afraid of being in pain after the surgery. He did not tell the doctors as he didn't want to appear weak. After the surgery, he was administered Oxy via drip. Not knowing the amount already in his system, he stopped breathing and immediately went into a coma. He was on life support for 3 weeks before we pulled him off of it. I wish I could bring my brother back more than anything. Whoever you are, whereever you are - please be careful with pain meds such as these. Is it the pain or the fear of pain which drives your dependancy? Once you answer that question, you may be on the road to redemption.

- Paul
My husband was addicted to Oxycontin and Percocet and has been slowly going down in doses over the last year or so. He has been completely off the Oxycontin for a while now. He is down to five 15mg Percocet a day. He went to the doctors yesterday and he didn't tell me, but there's a Rx in his pocket for Ultram. 300mg, 30 tablets. Is this really something he needs?
Hi Tam.  First, I pray for your strength and that God would give you wisdom as you seek to navigate through a very trying and tough circumstance.
I want to tell you some very truthful yet difficult things and hope that it will help in some way.  I speak only out of my own life and experience and can only tell you how things progressed for myself and my beautiful wife and children. I no longer live in the same house as them and My wife filed legal papers to divorce me.  I want to assure you that Tramadol is addictive. It is much less potent than Vicodin or oxy type drugs. But it is still very addictive. I was addicted to vicodin and used Tramadol to bridge the time between scripts of opiates. The major issue is seeking to find a way to get your husband to be honest about the extent of his use. How long have you been struggling along with him in his addiction?  Does he have the desire to change?  The Tramadol is much less in strength and will keep him from going into withdrawls.  Just that fact alone is confirmation that Tramadol is addictive and an opiate.  It just is.  The Tramadol also known as Ultram, can be used to take the level of addiction down a notch but the truth to face is this: If he stops tramadol and is not taking any other opiate..He will go into withdrawls.  I have gone through Tramadol withdrawls 2 times.  It is a very difficult 3 to 4 days with all normal withdrawl (withdrawal) systems. They are no less then the symptoms faced with coming off of Vicodin.  
Here is what I suggest.  I know that each families and people are dfferent so my advice, although saved my life, may not be exactly the right plan for him and you.YOu need to google suboxone Dr.'s in your area.  Suboxone is a temporary treatment that will allow him to come off of the opiates.  Suboxone if an under the tongue medicine that melts and dissolved into your system. When starting it He will have no withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms and will fin that he can function normally. It truly is a miracle drug that gave me back my life, my job, my self=confidence and my stability that allows me to take care of my family financially. Unfortunately my wife, after going through this with me 4 times..(detox and rehab) on the last time, which happened to be Rock bottom for me and that has brought complete live change..she saw the 4th time as the last time. She isn't willing to deal with it ever again.  I can understand her position from a very elementary understanding but from the Spiritual side of this...I just wish that we could have worked through it knowing that God truly has delivered me.  After 4 times...she still thinks that I am finding ways to sneak drugs... Just not the case.  I am done with all of that and have moved on.  Please please ask God to grant you the wisdom to know how to deal with this situation without giving up on each other of the marriage.  It is so very hard to to look thing.  To answer your question. Yes it is addictive no matter what story him or others try to make you think.  Lastly, Please dont give up on him.  The hope is there and right around the corner. I know that I felt helpless and like I would ever find a way out. When I found the suboxone clinic, I found a way to quit and get back to my life and this specific medicene gives hope in a hopeless sitution. He can use the medicine as a bridge to walk between hardcore opiates and complete sobriety and normal living.  He must be commited to quiting and to be sick of wasting the funds that you need to care for the family. The worst thing you can do is give him room to remain addicted.  I am sure that you love him so this will be the most difficult thing you may have to do right now.  Addicts can be very convincing, they will find any and all excuses to stay addicted.   I have said too much probably in answer to your simple question.  Tramadol is addictive...very.  Take care and God bless you.        
Read your post.  I've been taking Norco on and off for years.  I've gotten a prescription, only to find out that it's never enough.  I always want to go back and ask for more, but get scared my Dr. is going to start bringing up addiction.  So many people don't look far enough into their future until one day it's staring you in the face.  You people don't realize you are getting older and this pain triangle you are stuck in with the opiates will not work.  Why do we want to take a pill in the morning?  We don't, but we are addicted if we have to take something first thing in the morning to get moving.  I have a 12 year old who will one day start having kids of his own.  I don't want him to look at his parents as addicts, but what else would you call it?  I find the older I get, the less likely coming off the meds it seems.  Tramadol is what I was looking at getting back into.  I took myself off all pills before by doing this.  Brian, sorry for the long story not related to you, but can you tell me more about the shot you had mentioned?  I'm in pain right now, just ran out of my last Norco, and I'm feeling nervous because I'm a single mother who cannot afford to miss a day of work.  I need all my pay.
nothing is good for u when pregnant but when i was and had a bad tooth they did prescribe me tylenol 3 it worked and did no harm to my now 2 yr old my suggestion is to not take regularly but take only when in extreme pain try to ask your doctor  and if u want to get pregnant and are taking something now its time to start weaning yourself off i did 3 months before i got pregnant and was so happy its so hard to wean off all at once which you will have to do if you get pregnant!!! hope you have good luck its hard to wean but do it slow and remember its for the baby not you it works im proof!
The reason a doctor only prescribes a certain amount of Tramadol to a patient is not due to paranoia. Tramadol can be as addictive as opiates like hydrocodone, even though it is a synthetic opiate. I have been taking Tramadol 50 mg 3 times a day for about 8 months for chronic back pain. I was originally prescribed hydrocodone apap 5 mg/500 mg by the first doctor I saw for my back. I stopped taking it when my new doctor prescribed Tramadol. The Tramadol didn't seem to be helping the pain very much. The other day I took 1 hydrocodone to see what would happen. From my personal experience, hydrocodone, (Vicodin, Norco, etc.) is a much better pain reliever. BOTH TRAMADOL AND HYDROCODONE CAN BE ADDICTIVE IF YOU TAKE MORE THAT THE PRESCRIBED DOSE, SO DON'T DO IT WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S PERMISSION!!
Ultram aka tramadol has a ssri component similar to some anti depressants. The withdrawal is a depressing and anxious one no doubt worsened by the ssri component. The drug gives you energy, confidence, and makes you feel everything is great. But in reality your just taking a weakened vicodin that makes you less sleepy and has a small amount of anti depressant in it. I found tramadol to be a harder psychological challenge to withdrawal from than hydrocodone. They are equally addicting, though.

The risk associated with high doses of Tramadol is due to the risk of seizure, and this risk is directly correlated to ones seizure threshold. Some people are more prone to seizures in general, and some people are more prone to seizures from tramadol. It depends on the individual, but doctors are weary at first to prescribe high doses because of this.
Vicky i feel your pain. About s year ago i was strongly addicited to oxycodone and Opana witch is fairly new and 5 times stronger than oxycotin. The withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms are and have been provin to be worse then getting off heroin, it also takes about 3 weeks longer then heroin or cocain. I went through some of the worse withdrawls that anyone could imagine. Constant diaria stay near a bathroom or you will crap the bed, vommiting even water, itchy and sensitive skin, it was painfull to have anyone touch me. You cant sit still you get angry and just want to scream sometimes i did. You will experience many weird feelings inside and outside your body. Its almost like you could feel the hairs on you arms and legs poking you it drove me crazy, and the whole time the only thing i could think about was wanting the drug so it would just stop. Pain medications are nothing to joke about. I started not being addicited to anything but then i slipped two disks and my life took a crazy and dark turn, thou now it has all come back together it was a long and painfull road and I dont just mean physical pain. Anyone can get hooked on these medications i dont care if its oxy, vic's, perks, opana, whatever treat them like and invader, like a relative that is only gona be around for a short period of time, I live with pain without any and i mean any medications at all. it can be done and i have disks that are gone and have a gap in my spine nervs shooting down my *** and legs, and i love my life still, you all can do it get off the pain meds as soon as you can, they are not meant to be taken for life.
I absolutely agree drevans140. The effect is great for Ultram and it does give you that "top of the world" feeling. I Have been taking it now for 4 years for chronic back pain. The withdrawals are fierce, I have gone thru anxiety, sleeplessness, sweats, and depression.
I know this post was in 2009,but I am hping that you see this and there would be someway I could get a message to you. I have felt this way about the doctors and so fourth for 8 years now and so wish there would be just one more person that would get together with me about this..I am so outraged at how all they care about is instead of helping and talking with us now instead of take this antidepressant or this pain med and call me in the morning I could puke..and yes I have the same problem.It started when a had a brain aneueysm 10 years ago and almost died and now I will die because of them putting me on so much stuff that I will probally not make it because of their stupidity and lack of concern for any of us these days.I thought for a long time it was just in my small town but reading post and talking to people from all over the country it is everywhere and I think its time we take a stand,march,scream whatever,just stop this before more of use die or wish we were dead..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I have taken tramadol for severe sinus pain only when I need it . As I am reading this post I realize I am going through withdrawl (withdrawal). I took tramadol for 5 days straight now stopped & now my whole body hurts , moody , severe headache (not in sinus area) I feel like im going through withdrawl (withdrawal). i feel like i have severe Pms . (which i do not)  i was just abt to take more when i read this. I have to admit I want to take them . I want these symptoms to stop but i will push through it.  I also noticed Im happy & great mood when I take them I guess now I say im high . I think this drug should be a controlled substance. It needs more warnings.
Lisa, I concur with you 100%,however, I am a disabled nurse who, like willem has had to face this problem with lower back pain.  I have been to orthopedic surgeons who have grabbed me by the hand and pulled me out of the chair, almost slinging me across the room saying that I was faking.  Radiographic imaging revealed multiple compression fractures, bulging discs and a borderline spinal chord compression.  I have also been to a pain management specialist, have undergone numerous facet injections as well as utilizing electricity (much like that provided by a muscle stimulator) with no significant reduction in pain.  I am taking Hrydrocodone/apap 10/500 mg orally twice a day for severe pain.  I went back to pain management and he stated that he would put me on a duragesic patch/fentenyl 75 to 100 mg which is applied to skin over an area where fatty tissue has accumulated, normally the back, before he would up the dose of the oral anelgesic.  I refused the patch and came to find out that they had had several fentenyl patch related deaths.  Folks like us understand that the body undergoes drug dependence, however, I don't know of anyone out there with actual pain who enjoys having to take narcotics just to start or finish the day.  Alot of times, we need physicians who are empathetic to our pain.  It is hard to get them to realize the intensity of the pain when they themselves have not experienced it.  Sincethen, I have been prescribed Ultram 100mg four times a day, I am also on the Hydrocodone.  If I do not feel relief after the first two doses, I resort back to the narcotic and I am ever present of watching out for significant events caused by drug-drug, drug-food interactions. I don't know, Willem definitely needs to see a pain management specialist to follow him, determine the pros and cons of specific drug regimens and most importantly, a doctor, one who is not afraid to include the patient in the determination of what treatments to try to see if they are affective, because pain management is done by trial and error. There are those out there who are hell-bent on going from one facility or one doctor to another in search of the drugs, and that it is their initial response to a person who is encountering legitimate pain.  

Mike Lebleu, LPN, disabled
I think one's reaction to Vicodin or any narcotic depends on the individual.  I've taken Vicodin for 10-15 yrs. I'm prescribed 4 Vicodin ES (7.5mg) a day as needed.  Sometimes I'll take 1  but generally no more than three unless I'm experiencing terrible pain.  I think Vicodin is addictive for some and not for others.  I feel the same is true fro ultram.  You can't generalize how the drug will react to a particular individual.
I agree no one should live with pain. Hi my name is Tracy (Australia) I have just stumbled across its site..its very interesting, I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with pain probs.I've been in 2 car accidents wich led to multiple injury, now 30yrs later I have scoliosis, and degenerative bones and arthritis. There isn't much I can do anymore physically.. but I do take alto öf pain meds. Celebrex 3dy, Lyric 2day,Endep 2day,Derilin 2day,Tramadol SR100 1day,Tramadol 3-4ay,Cymbalta 1day,osteo panadol 2 4xday, Norspan patches 20 1wkly,Panadine forte,Oxcycodone 5, Oxcycodone 10, Oxcycontin 20...wow looks like a lot..I've had inj in all corners of my body, plates, screws, bones shortened,.. now Drs say its just pain management time....I am surprised no mention from anyone about taking antidepressants,( Cymbalta) and is no one on any morphine patches (Norespan) I swear by those.....Have a pain free day all