Ultram versus Vicodin
Has anyone had any experience with Ultram for lower back pain?
I've been trying to find information on Ultram.  
Does anyone know anything about the drup Ultram?
I am suffering from servere lower back pain caused by multiple colasped and bulging disks.
I have had four epedural injections in the past year still without relief.
I've been taking 30 Vicodin HPs a week for a year now, but I am still suffering and I am finding it difficult to concentrate after taking Vicodin. I want to stop taking Vicodin before I become more dependant on it than I already am.
My Dr. has suggested switching to Ultram in the past.
Some pharmacist say that Ultram is addictive while others say it is not.
Before I switch to another medication I would like to know what I am getting myself into.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
William

This is a very old post...Go to post question , then ask and that will help alot more
i have a number of physical problems (protruding lumbar disks, fibromyalgia, headaches, stiff neck [residual from a sub-arachnoid {brain} hemorrhage])  . i find that vicodin works best for neck and head pain, and tramadol works best for the pins and needles neuropathic pain from the lower back. a almost never take both in the same day. the moist tramadol i have ever taken in one day is 2 50mg, and the most vic i have ever taken are 4 5mg. i usually combine these with Robaxin to relax teh muscles. also take 900mg of neurontin to prevent muscle stiffness at night.
  i have expressed concern about addiction to my rheumatlogist and primary, and was told to not worry, that i ma taking them for a genuine need, and am not taking that much. Like one poster said, getting pain to a bearable level is the primary goal. If that requires using addictive substances, then so be it. Without meds, i would be bed-ridden, pissed off, despondent, and suicidal. So we have to weight our priorities.  
http://shurl.net/75f
Well, I thought Id add my two sense here. I live in South East Asia where Tramadol (Ultram) is available over the counter. Im young, like to party every once in awhile, and have used it actually as a bit of an 'upper' - Id take just one when  Id go outv for the evening (as others probably know, Ultram keeps you up and perky compared to other pain killers). It produces a great high mixed with alcohol plus good music and people, etc,etc. Although, I soon came to the point to where I dont feel as 'social' or enjoy myself as much without it. This is the scary part. Im trying to ween myself off it on the weekends when I go out, when Id usually take it at parties, etc. Just to warn people (if you were somewhat curious about its addictive qualities like me, did a search, and found this site), this stuff (Ultram/Tramadol) can become addictive, believe me.

Also, a question for someone who might know: is stomach acid/indigestion a common side effect of Ultram?
The MD on this post earlier said it was definetly addicting. Many others said it too. Some few who take it don't think it's addicting but the overwhelming concensious is that it is, and I know it is. Besides it affects brain chemistry  and isn't very good for pain. It should be a no brainer not to take it even though some idiot docs give it out like candy.
Not all people have the same reaction to ULTRAM. Some people do not get addicted, some do. Some people do not get pain relieved by the drug, some do. I personally became addicted to ULTRAM. I started out taking 2 a day. When I decide to quit, after about a year, I was taking 8 a day. I was waking up in the middle of the night just to take some. The withdrawal period was very, very hard.

Before I tried ULTRAM I was taking VICODIN. I never became addicted to VICODIN. I was taking it for 2 years when my doctor became concerned and had me stop. I was able to stop with little or no problem. I waited a month before starting ULTRAM. (just taking Aleve or asprin).

Some doctors (mine) are scared to prescribe strong pain killers because of the scrutiny they undergo. So I have started taking ULTRAM again. I take 1 tablet a day, but only on Friday - Sunday (when I am the most physical). I go through a mini-withdrawal every Monday, but it is not bad.
I now take 4 ultrams and 4 robaxin daily yet my pain is still very severe with no help from either, pain still severly occurs. But i have found that vicodin affects me a little bit stronger than either of the ones i am perscribed to now. Yet vicodin isnt very strong, just my opinion on things!
Vicodin is Stronger than ultram and soon Ultram will be a controlled drug as it is in other countries. The worst thing about it is the mood elevation or antidepressant effect it has. It makes it really hard to stop and it's not a very good painkiller.It is also thought to be hard on the liver.
A detox approach for Tramadol (Ultram and Ultracet). Ok, so you've discovered that tramadol is HIGHLY addictive (at least for you, personally). I am recently coming cold turkey off a 150-200 mg per day habit, and have made some interesting discoveries that I hope will also help others. Combined with research concerning the psycho-pharmacology, they make sense.

Things to do:

1) Don't panic and/or beat yourself up.

2) Make a DETERMINED EFFORT to break your addiction.

3) If you are taking more than 50 mg (1 tab for me) begin to taper off. For that, find your comfort level. Be persistent here because, as for myself, I missed the feeling of well-being that I got with a higher dose as I began to taper off. This is where you must let your determination kick in. A 50 mg per week reduction seems reasonable. Push the envelope here if you can tolerate a bit more discomfort.

3) If you are physically able, exercise, exercise, exercise!! This will help boost your mood and help counter the opiate effect of the meds. Sexual activity in the evening was helpful for me as well. At night take some Tylenol or ibuprofen to help you sleep. Expect your sleep to be disrupted for a little while. I accidentally found that Robitussin (dextromethorphan) helped me sleep during the most difficult period, since I happened to have a cold while I was trying to quit. Careful here, though, start out taking half the recommended dose and see how it affects you. The clinical reason is that dextromethorphan will help moderate your serotonin levels, which Tramadol increases.

Warning: if you are taking MAO inhibitors DO NOT take dextromethorphan, as this can be very dangerous.

4) Drink a strong caffinated drink during the day, preferably early in the morning. Why? Tramadol acts to prevent norepinephrine reuptake, and as you taper off, caffeine will help counteract the effects of the reduction of the norepinephrine.

5) Along with your exercise, take care to maintain a good diet to help fortify yourself against reduced or poor sleep.

6) While I did not try it myself, one would expect St John's Wart to offer some relief because of the SSUI effects of Tramadol.

I had to detox because I was running out of pills. The reason Tramadol is so addictive for some is probably due to the fact that you are dealing with 3 separate addictions: opiate, norepinephrine, and serotonin. Another thing: it's probably not a good idea to substitute another addictive drug (though arguably caffeine is) for Tramadol.

If you try this 'method' please give me some feedback about how it works for you. Good luck to all!

Hi all, day 3 of withdrawing from Tramadol. Slept a little better last night, and feel great this morning. Seems to be all downhill from here. Plan on getting some st John's wart today. Some time back I remember it having a relaxing effect. No more Ultram for me! If you'd like to email me:

***@****

Best Wishes,

Ken
Hey Ken, start a new post. You have some valuable information that could help others. This orginal post is from 1999. I didn't want you to get over looked.
Good luck coming off tramadol. Its one evil drug!!!! I've been off trams for 120 days.
I had neck fusion two years ago, along with chron's  was really taking allot of Oxy just to get through the day, when I finally ran out of pain meds and ended up in hospital thinking I had some type of infection (Withdraws) I never wanted to go through that again, after a bit the pain returned and the desire to live a normal day started to change my mind, I spoke with my doctor about the fear of Opiod withdraws and he putt me on Ultram ER 300MG.  It cost allot around 250.00 a month but works for me as good as 2 20MG oxycontin did.  You must be detoxed before starting or you will wish you did, will cause bad withdraws if not, not all the way, just enough to stop binding, after that they will help with withdraws.  I hope that helped
As for the withdraws, I did stop for a week to test the effect, and got restless legs a bit at night, but nothing at all like OXY  OMG if I was not a god fearing man, cold turkey off of 120MG a day of oxy, (high amount after surgery) I might have not been able to handle it.  The thing is if your taking this med for a real problem, have a doc that trust you, you will not have a problem, and he will help you with other stuff, IE Ambien, Valium, enough to get you through (not high)  If it works for you, never be scared of a med, this is what a doctor is for.
From everything i've read all over the net and fromy my own experience , everyone has different experiences with prescription drugs and so there is no point in asking for advice from another person because you could get all these effects or none of them. It depends on your body make up IMO.  For example - Valium does nothing for me, no matter how many i take (disapointing), at one point i took 10 at once because i was not getting any effects from lower doses but then all i got was anxiety and a headache. it doesn't make me relaxed or sleeppy atall. So thats me.  And Ultram/Tramadol, i was taking 100mg generic capsules , about 4 or 5 a day because they made me feel confident and a slight buzz, and antidepressed. (better than my actual prescribed antidepressants were doing). But when i ran out of the Ultram capsules each time, man did i have the worst withdrawel! I went through 8 days of hell. Like the worst flu effects ever. Bed ridden, dizzy head, aches and pains, my stomache swelled up, my intenstine was enflamed and throbing and felt like it was being pinched all over it. Basically major IBS for a week causing so much pain that i couldn t sleep for 5 days  in a row and ended up with horrible sleep deprevation and depression. I wondered if it was ever going to go away. I couldn't even get to the doctor because i was too bad to get out of bed.  I got this same 7 day withdrawel/illness 3 months in a row. I finally worked out that it was Ultram doing this to me , because when i stopped taking it, i didn't get the illness back.  It ***** because i liked Ultram but im scared to ever go through that withdrawel week of hell again.  I couldn't eat or anything.  ......So basically im saying , everyone reacts different., So there is no point in asking "Will i be ok? Or "Is so and so better than taking so and so?"  You just need to try it and see how you react.  End of.
P.S- I still don't know if i got this major withdrawel pain because my Ultram was generic from India. But i have no way of getting official brand name Ultram to compare.
I would love to try Vicodin but thats impossible in the UK (i think). My prescribed pain killer is 30mg tabs of Dihycrocodiene. If you take 4 of those at once you are chilled out but you get constipation and physical dependancy because waking in the morning hurts untill you take more Dihydrocodine.
If anyone wants to trade some offical Vicodin for some official Dihydrocodine, let me know.
Ok I see alot of comments about ultram vs Hydrocodone or Vicodin and here is my experience and a Question as well. I took ultram for 1 year and ultimately ended up on Ultram 300mg ER (Extended Release)
and I must admit that I didnt mind it, I would on occasions feel sort of cold chills but not often but more amazingly it completely altered my thoughts, I have always been ADD and I often suffer from anxiety. Ultram really helped with it, period. It did help more then any other drug I tried from therepist. I called the PRI CARA the manufactuer and they said a lot of folks reported the same thing. However about six to eight months into the drug I would go through mood swings, and often
wouldnt realize it. Once I realized it, I was able to stop them but that is
probably more of my body chemistry reacting to the drug then the normal reaction. So I finally quit taking Ultram a week ago, I spent 20 days dosing down from 300mg to 200mg ect.. as per my Dr. Having seen people have problems when they would stop cold turkey. The first two days of not taking it were pure HELL for me, I felt Flu symptoms, aches all over my body and ringing in my ear that would pulse to the point of being really scary sometimes, very weird symptoms, hard to
describe. So I began taking vicodin just to get relief from the symptoms at night before bed, otherwise go ahead and start the coffee its an all nighter. Now 4 days later I still have symptoms, does anyone know if thats normal? How long should detox and symptoms last? Whatever the answer I will never take the **** again, if I have a problem I will go for VICODIN. by the way I suffered from an Intramuscular Hemengeome
which would cause moderate to severe pain above my Knee, I had surgery four months ago and the condition has subsided.
Just be careful. Ultram is addictive, as is Vicodin. You are fortunate to have a Dr that recognized the need to taper off the Ultram. Most seem to think that Trams are not addictive. The symptoms you described, sound like withdrawal. Could be you tapered too quickly before quitting the Ultram.
I've taken Ultram since I was 16 years old because I have Lupus and chronic pain in my muscles and joints because of it.  My doctor said it wasn't addicting, and if you are RESPONSIBLE, it isn't.  Until I moved out of my mother's house she monitored my doses so I always took the correct amount (6 times daily, 50mg) and if I had to miss a few days due to not being able to get to the pharmacy, and I just had my normal aches and pains --not withdrawals.  I know what withdrawal feels like, I've had surgery & had to come off of hydrocodone and it was a *****, but after a week you're fine.

So here it is from BOTH sides:  I take it responsibly.  It CAN be abused.  I did that a couple of times and I don't intend on doing it again because it affects my IBS a LOT.  Unfortunately the FDA has just scheduled this drug right along with things like Lortab and Oxycontin which is CRAZY.  It is not nearly as addicting.  The people that become addicted to this stuff are the people who want to try it out for fun, then keep doing it for fun, and realize "Oh ****, I've done this for 2 weeks and it doesn't feel good coming down!"  LOTS of drugs are like that.  Yeah, they can be "fun," I learned that the first time I took my doses too close together lol, but nothing to freak out about.

The people who become "addicted" to these things more-than-likely have had some history of abuse or have other psychological issues that make it easier for them to become addicted to certain drugs.  If these are taken CORRECTLY, you won't get high, unlike Lortab, Oxycontin, etc...  People with NO prior problems with addiction become addicted to those medications every day.  Tramadol is a great alternative to these medications and should not be considered so evil as it has been.

I normally don't get so radical about defending something, but this stuff changed my life.  I wouldn't be able to sit here long enough to type this out because of my joint pain and back pain.  Being as young as I am and being FROZEN with pain was no life to live.
Summary:

Ultram:

Pros:
- Lasts up to 12 hours
- Less addictive
- Pretty much identical euphoria to Vicodin (although not experienced by everyone)
- Can still function normally

Cons:
- Irritability
- Takes longer to kick in
- Occasional "nodding out" between hours 8 and 12
- Possible seizures if prone to them

Vicodin:

Pros:
- Kicks in quickly
- A more "drunken" euphoria
- Works for everyone

Cons:
- Lasts 4-6 hours
- Larger strain on liver with high amounts of acetaminophen
- Very addictive
- Can't function as well

Taken both over 5 years recreationally.  I like Ultram more than oxy's.  The only thing better than Ultram that I've had was something intravenous that was 8x stronger than morphine in the hospital.  Don't get me wrong, all opiates are great :)    
Just tried Ultram - not too worried about the addictive part, but it didn't seem to do anything. ER doc prescribed it for my migraines. I already take everything else. I was pretty excited to try something new. Is it like morphine, it either works for you or it doesn't ( in my case, it doesn't)? I'm just so sick of taking vicodin and stadol and having to go to the hospital and getting shots. Even if the doc actually gives me something I am so immune to it I could drive myself home (I don't). Dolobid, Demerol, etc. I miss when the shots actually knocked me out.
I have been taking "Ultram" for eleven years and the saying "You cannot become addicted if you truly have pain," is VERY TRUE. The thing is I believe because I have taken these for so many years that in a sense I have become addicted. I can think of three times over the last eleven years when I thought wow, I don't need to take this today I feel good! But then I became depressed and agitated so in my opinion I believe after a number of YEARS of taking the same medication(s) you can become addicted. I take 8 per day of 50 MG. I feel it is just too many but I have a doctor who is educated in stupidity and that's where it ends.
I have Hep C, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, DDD and CDD plus four bulging disks. I have been suffering since 1994 at age of 34. I'm sick of these doctors who'd rather see you commit suicide than give you something that will actually help you. I am a hermit from my pain and diseases and most of them just do not care. Well, anyway good luck to all you who suffer, contact the National Pain Society and get something going so the ones who truly DO have and suffer daily from chronic pain (not just addicts- scoffing). can have a better life.
Has anyone thought to try thr fentanyl patch?  Time release over 72 hours, no pills to take, no risk of taking too much... It is a very strong narcotic but it works very well for chronic pain.
I have been taking 20-25 , 10MG. Vicodan for 10 years.
Most I get perscribed.  
However, out of nowhere, my doctor is switching me to Ultram.
From reding these post, it appears Ultram is very nasty to wthdraw from. Much worse then Opiates.
  I cannot tell my doctor I do not want Ultram. because I fear the doctor will get susoicious and cut me off. He may anyway.
  I know people who get Methadone to controll pain. because they cannot find a doctor to perscribe either enough Opiates, or simply do not perscribe them, from fear of the DEA.
From reading these posts, I now realize how radically different both Vicadin and Ultram effect different people, so please keep in mind that this is only my personal experience.  I survived a bad plane crash that caused severe damage to my neck, ribs and low back.  The past 6 years have gotten worse every year.  2 years ago I slept 3 hours a night on a good night, waking up every time I moved from the pain.  I could barely form full sentences, the pain was so bad during the day.  I finally sought help from an internal medicine doctor to help manage my situation.  I have addiction both in my past and heavily in my family, so I was extremely nervous about using pain medication and avoided it for years while trying alternative medicine, physical therapy and injections.  Ultimately, I chose to just suffer with the pain....until it was finally on the verge of destroying every aspect of my life.  When I met with the doctor, we settled on a course of medication that has me using (2)-50mg of Ultram every 4 hours during the day but then switching to (2)-10/500 of Vicadin at bedtime to help me get some sort of sleep.  Although the Ultram only takes the edge off, it is enough that I have been able to be steady at work and home.  I also average about 6 hours sleep at night now which is a great improvement.  I still have some bad days but I have made it now 2 years of mixing these two medications and have zero side effects from either medication.  My wife also meets with my doctor (which I highly recommend) to help keep me accountable of how much I use and any change in my behavior or health that I might try and hide.  I admit that I have not tried to come off the medication so I can't speak to withdrawl, but I encourage anyone with chronic pain to talk with their doctor about using this approach.
I have severe chronic low back and hip pain. I also have severe nerve damage in my back/spine which creates severe pain also. My doctor has had me on Darvecot for about 5 months, and it now doesnt work unless I take a full day to day and half of them, which then shorts me at the end of the week. I will admit I love the high I get from them, but it also does help with my pain to a moderate level. It does allow me to live a somewhat normal life while I take them, and belive me my quality of life has drasticlly changed since my pain has increased the past year.
However, I told my doctor yesterday that I was having a flare up, and that the Darvecot is not working as well, so he prescibed me Ultriam......
Im very unsure about this medicine. Its not a narcotic, will it help wth the pain? And I will be honest, I wonder if I will get the same high..... I have been told by 3 seprate specialists that I am unfixable until medical techonolgy catches up...... so my pain is forever, no surgery will fix me at this moment. I am worried the doctor just assumes i am abusing the med and that is why he put me ont Ultaraim..... im afarid to ask him... it mite make him more suspicious.  Also, should I tell him if it does work as well, hoping he wont just think im trying to get drugs...not for my severe pain but for fun of it? Should I tell him? Should I take the chance? Does Ultraim give you "extra energy" like Darvacet or Vicoden?
Ultram is tramadol and very highly addictive.It also has antidepressant properties similar to effexor which is a cousin drug.It is very difficult to stop this drug and it causes a lot of rebound pain,I do not think it is wise to take tramadol because it is a sneaky drug that grabs you and is hard to stop.I know the medical profession says it is not addicting,but it is.
i just  want a home remedy to stop withdrawel i am on 3rd day and i need something i really dont want this anymore but everytime i do this icant take the systoms and take it so i wont go thru it again   and it goes on and on i just need something to stop the withdrawel and i know i can do this    ,,,ANYONE help
Hi & Welcome,

You are tapering off of what?

In the upper right hand corner of this page are the health pages. In there you will find The Thomas Recipe as well as the Amino Acid Protocol. Both contain very helpful supplements.

I hope this helped. Keep posting to let us know how you are doing, and ask any questions along the way.

Also, if you go to the top of this page and hit the green Post A Question button, you can start your own thread which is easier to follow. This one is 11 years old and may get lost in the shuffle.
when i was a pill head i don't know i was all about the vics and painkillers i did take the ultrams a time or two but thought they were just garbage but after reading some of these i guess there just little devils like there  narcotic painkilling friends vickey and perkey...
I'm sorry to hear about your pain & I wish I had an answer for you rather than a warning.  My experience with tramadol is that I never craved it or increased my dose but I totally developed tolerance.  By not increasing the dose, I was in constant withdrawal with insomnia, weakness, increased pain.

If you read Emily Post's journal, you will see that my experience is not unusual.  Getting off tram was also not "just a week" of gradually feeling better.  Symptoms can come & go for weeks as the antidepressant part of tramadol which is just like effexor, strings out the withdrawal for many people.

Some people do report taking tramadol for extended periods without tolerance issues but watch out if you find yourself increasing your dose as people on this website have found themselves taking 20 pills a day.

Best wishes to you.
Ultram is the worst! Stay away
I am 57 years old. I have been on class1, and class2, for over 15 years. going to rehab never worked, meetings too, never worked.
so i decided to try, ultram. this drug has opiod properties. ask your pharmacist to give you the page that comes in the bottle, itself.
when I started ultram, I felt a small chipanzee on my back. then the chimp turned into a, silver back.so I played doctor for myself. after taking 4 ultram all in one time, the monkey left me.
so if that does not tell you it is addivtive, nothing will.
withdraw takes, 7 to 10 days. and it's a, *****!!
getting off of class 1, and class 2, was less painful, then, ultram.
my advice to anyone is, DON'T GO THERE. Ultram use, that is..
There are many people who can take Tramadol for their pain and have relief. One thing about Tramadol that I have not seen mentioned here, is that it does have SSRI properties to it, so it can be rx'd to have A/D relief as well. Many people including myself have been able to take this medication without abusing or misusing it because of it's A/D and pain relief.
I am fearful yes of becoming addicted, however I'll be honest, I feel much better taking this over any Hydrocodone combo, any morphine, Oxy, Fentanyl, etc. I know it might seem odd, but it's not just about the "high" that the others would potentially give, but Tramadol for me just makes me feel better. The pain is treated enough for me to have a relatively productive day. My overall quality of life has increased in such a positive way and I am thankful that I have found a med that doesn't tear up my liver or require me to misuse it in order to find any relief.
The problem with chronic pain is, many people feel that they should be able to go through their day with zero pain. That's not always the case, there will always be pain, but being able to control or subdue it enough to live, is what's important.

I think everyone is different, I think posts telling anyone to stay away from it "because it sux" is non productive. Each person reactes differently to it, just like any other medication. It might not work for others, while it works great for some. I've helped treat people who were severe drug addicts and are able to use this for their pain without misusing, or abusing it, which is very rare and very positive to share.

I do believe it has addictive properties to it, but any and I mean ANY true opiod that others preach of and any SSRIs all have the potential to cause someone to become addicted to them as well as having withdrawals from them.
I have heard that kratom helps with opioid addiction (research it online, but make sure the seller is credible), it is legal in most areas and helps with certain types of pain - it is natural. I have used it for pain and it does take the edge off. I currently take Ultram as needed for pain, but I don't really like the way they make me feel so no chance of addiction for me. I also don't like hydrocodone and it doesn't really help my back, the Ultram does, but I only take it when I absolutely "have" to.

If you are dependent on opioid and want to get off, please check out kratom. I have heard of many use it with great success and no withdrawal symptoms.
In 2004, my twin brother died of an Oxycontin overdose while in the hospital. He had been using (and abusing) it for years for chronic back pain. The day he was to have back surgery to install a morphine drip into his back, he injested 100mg of Phentinel (?) because he was afraid of being in pain after the surgery. He did not tell the doctors as he didn't want to appear weak. After the surgery, he was administered Oxy via drip. Not knowing the amount already in his system, he stopped breathing and immediately went into a coma. He was on life support for 3 weeks before we pulled him off of it. I wish I could bring my brother back more than anything. Whoever you are, whereever you are - please be careful with pain meds such as these. Is it the pain or the fear of pain which drives your dependancy? Once you answer that question, you may be on the road to redemption.

- Paul
My husband was addicted to Oxycontin and Percocet and has been slowly going down in doses over the last year or so. He has been completely off the Oxycontin for a while now. He is down to five 15mg Percocet a day. He went to the doctors yesterday and he didn't tell me, but there's a Rx in his pocket for Ultram. 300mg, 30 tablets. Is this really something he needs?
Hi Tam.  First, I pray for your strength and that God would give you wisdom as you seek to navigate through a very trying and tough circumstance.
I want to tell you some very truthful yet difficult things and hope that it will help in some way.  I speak only out of my own life and experience and can only tell you how things progressed for myself and my beautiful wife and children. I no longer live in the same house as them and My wife filed legal papers to divorce me.  I want to assure you that Tramadol is addictive. It is much less potent than Vicodin or oxy type drugs. But it is still very addictive. I was addicted to vicodin and used Tramadol to bridge the time between scripts of opiates. The major issue is seeking to find a way to get your husband to be honest about the extent of his use. How long have you been struggling along with him in his addiction?  Does he have the desire to change?  The Tramadol is much less in strength and will keep him from going into withdrawls.  Just that fact alone is confirmation that Tramadol is addictive and an opiate.  It just is.  The Tramadol also known as Ultram, can be used to take the level of addiction down a notch but the truth to face is this: If he stops tramadol and is not taking any other opiate..He will go into withdrawls.  I have gone through Tramadol withdrawls 2 times.  It is a very difficult 3 to 4 days with all normal withdrawl systems. They are no less then the symptoms faced with coming off of Vicodin.  
Here is what I suggest.  I know that each families and people are dfferent so my advice, although saved my life, may not be exactly the right plan for him and you.YOu need to google suboxone Dr.'s in your area.  Suboxone is a temporary treatment that will allow him to come off of the opiates.  Suboxone if an under the tongue medicine that melts and dissolved into your system. When starting it He will have no withdrawl symptoms and will fin that he can function normally. It truly is a miracle drug that gave me back my life, my job, my self=confidence and my stability that allows me to take care of my family financially. Unfortunately my wife, after going through this with me 4 times..(detox and rehab) on the last time, which happened to be Rock bottom for me and that has brought complete live change..she saw the 4th time as the last time. She isn't willing to deal with it ever again.  I can understand her position from a very elementary understanding but from the Spiritual side of this...I just wish that we could have worked through it knowing that God truly has delivered me.  After 4 times...she still thinks that I am finding ways to sneak drugs... Just not the case.  I am done with all of that and have moved on.  Please please ask God to grant you the wisdom to know how to deal with this situation without giving up on each other of the marriage.  It is so very hard to to look thing.  To answer your question. Yes it is addictive no matter what story him or others try to make you think.  Lastly, Please dont give up on him.  The hope is there and right around the corner. I know that I felt helpless and like I would ever find a way out. When I found the suboxone clinic, I found a way to quit and get back to my life and this specific medicene gives hope in a hopeless sitution. He can use the medicine as a bridge to walk between hardcore opiates and complete sobriety and normal living.  He must be commited to quiting and to be sick of wasting the funds that you need to care for the family. The worst thing you can do is give him room to remain addicted.  I am sure that you love him so this will be the most difficult thing you may have to do right now.  Addicts can be very convincing, they will find any and all excuses to stay addicted.   I have said too much probably in answer to your simple question.  Tramadol is addictive...very.  Take care and God bless you.        
Read your post.  I've been taking Norco on and off for years.  I've gotten a prescription, only to find out that it's never enough.  I always want to go back and ask for more, but get scared my Dr. is going to start bringing up addiction.  So many people don't look far enough into their future until one day it's staring you in the face.  You people don't realize you are getting older and this pain triangle you are stuck in with the opiates will not work.  Why do we want to take a pill in the morning?  We don't, but we are addicted if we have to take something first thing in the morning to get moving.  I have a 12 year old who will one day start having kids of his own.  I don't want him to look at his parents as addicts, but what else would you call it?  I find the older I get, the less likely coming off the meds it seems.  Tramadol is what I was looking at getting back into.  I took myself off all pills before by doing this.  Brian, sorry for the long story not related to you, but can you tell me more about the shot you had mentioned?  I'm in pain right now, just ran out of my last Norco, and I'm feeling nervous because I'm a single mother who cannot afford to miss a day of work.  I need all my pay.
nothing is good for u when pregnant but when i was and had a bad tooth they did prescribe me tylenol 3 it worked and did no harm to my now 2 yr old my suggestion is to not take regularly but take only when in extreme pain try to ask your doctor  and if u want to get pregnant and are taking something now its time to start weaning yourself off i did 3 months before i got pregnant and was so happy its so hard to wean off all at once which you will have to do if you get pregnant!!! hope you have good luck its hard to wean but do it slow and remember its for the baby not you it works im proof!
The reason a doctor only prescribes a certain amount of Tramadol to a patient is not due to paranoia. Tramadol can be as addictive as opiates like hydrocodone, even though it is a synthetic opiate. I have been taking Tramadol 50 mg 3 times a day for about 8 months for chronic back pain. I was originally prescribed hydrocodone apap 5 mg/500 mg by the first doctor I saw for my back. I stopped taking it when my new doctor prescribed Tramadol. The Tramadol didn't seem to be helping the pain very much. The other day I took 1 hydrocodone to see what would happen. From my personal experience, hydrocodone, (Vicodin, Norco, etc.) is a much better pain reliever. BOTH TRAMADOL AND HYDROCODONE CAN BE ADDICTIVE IF YOU TAKE MORE THAT THE PRESCRIBED DOSE, SO DON'T DO IT WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S PERMISSION!!
Ultram aka tramadol has a ssri component similar to some anti depressants. The withdrawal is a depressing and anxious one no doubt worsened by the ssri component. The drug gives you energy, confidence, and makes you feel everything is great. But in reality your just taking a weakened vicodin that makes you less sleepy and has a small amount of anti depressant in it. I found tramadol to be a harder psychological challenge to withdrawal from than hydrocodone. They are equally addicting, though.

The risk associated with high doses of Tramadol is due to the risk of seizure, and this risk is directly correlated to ones seizure threshold. Some people are more prone to seizures in general, and some people are more prone to seizures from tramadol. It depends on the individual, but doctors are weary at first to prescribe high doses because of this.
Vicky i feel your pain. About s year ago i was strongly addicited to oxycodone and Opana witch is fairly new and 5 times stronger than oxycotin. The withdrawl symptoms are and have been provin to be worse then getting off heroin, it also takes about 3 weeks longer then heroin or cocain. I went through some of the worse withdrawls that anyone could imagine. Constant diaria stay near a bathroom or you will crap the bed, vommiting even water, itchy and sensitive skin, it was painfull to have anyone touch me. You cant sit still you get angry and just want to scream sometimes i did. You will experience many weird feelings inside and outside your body. Its almost like you could feel the hairs on you arms and legs poking you it drove me crazy, and the whole time the only thing i could think about was wanting the drug so it would just stop. Pain medications are nothing to joke about. I started not being addicited to anything but then i slipped two disks and my life took a crazy and dark turn, thou now it has all come back together it was a long and painfull road and I dont just mean physical pain. Anyone can get hooked on these medications i dont care if its oxy, vic's, perks, opana, whatever treat them like and invader, like a relative that is only gona be around for a short period of time, I live with pain without any and i mean any medications at all. it can be done and i have disks that are gone and have a gap in my spine nervs shooting down my *** and legs, and i love my life still, you all can do it get off the pain meds as soon as you can, they are not meant to be taken for life.
I absolutely agree drevans140. The effect is great for Ultram and it does give you that "top of the world" feeling. I Have been taking it now for 4 years for chronic back pain. The withdrawals are fierce, I have gone thru anxiety, sleeplessness, sweats, and depression.
I know this post was in 2009,but I am hping that you see this and there would be someway I could get a message to you. I have felt this way about the doctors and so fourth for 8 years now and so wish there would be just one more person that would get together with me about this..I am so outraged at how all they care about is instead of helping and talking with us now instead of take this antidepressant or this pain med and call me in the morning I could puke..and yes I have the same problem.It started when a had a brain aneueysm 10 years ago and almost died and now I will die because of them putting me on so much stuff that I will probally not make it because of their stupidity and lack of concern for any of us these days.I thought for a long time it was just in my small town but reading post and talking to people from all over the country it is everywhere and I think its time we take a stand,march,scream whatever,just stop this before more of use die or wish we were dead..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I have taken tramadol for severe sinus pain only when I need it . As I am reading this post I realize I am going through withdrawl. I took tramadol for 5 days straight now stopped & now my whole body hurts , moody , severe headache (not in sinus area) I feel like im going through withdrawl. i feel like i have severe Pms . (which i do not)  i was just abt to take more when i read this. I have to admit I want to take them . I want these symptoms to stop but i will push through it.  I also noticed Im happy & great mood when I take them I guess now I say im high . I think this drug should be a controlled substance. It needs more warnings.
Lisa, I concur with you 100%,however, I am a disabled nurse who, like willem has had to face this problem with lower back pain.  I have been to orthopedic surgeons who have grabbed me by the hand and pulled me out of the chair, almost slinging me across the room saying that I was faking.  Radiographic imaging revealed multiple compression fractures, bulging discs and a borderline spinal chord compression.  I have also been to a pain management specialist, have undergone numerous facet injections as well as utilizing electricity (much like that provided by a muscle stimulator) with no significant reduction in pain.  I am taking Hrydrocodone/apap 10/500 mg orally twice a day for severe pain.  I went back to pain management and he stated that he would put me on a duragesic patch/fentenyl 75 to 100 mg which is applied to skin over an area where fatty tissue has accumulated, normally the back, before he would up the dose of the oral anelgesic.  I refused the patch and came to find out that they had had several fentenyl patch related deaths.  Folks like us understand that the body undergoes drug dependence, however, I don't know of anyone out there with actual pain who enjoys having to take narcotics just to start or finish the day.  Alot of times, we need physicians who are empathetic to our pain.  It is hard to get them to realize the intensity of the pain when they themselves have not experienced it.  Sincethen, I have been prescribed Ultram 100mg four times a day, I am also on the Hydrocodone.  If I do not feel relief after the first two doses, I resort back to the narcotic and I am ever present of watching out for significant events caused by drug-drug, drug-food interactions. I don't know, Willem definitely needs to see a pain management specialist to follow him, determine the pros and cons of specific drug regimens and most importantly, a doctor, one who is not afraid to include the patient in the determination of what treatments to try to see if they are affective, because pain management is done by trial and error. There are those out there who are hell-bent on going from one facility or one doctor to another in search of the drugs, and that it is their initial response to a person who is encountering legitimate pain.  

Mike Lebleu, LPN, disabled
I think one's reaction to Vicodin or any narcotic depends on the individual.  I've taken Vicodin for 10-15 yrs. I'm prescribed 4 Vicodin ES (7.5mg) a day as needed.  Sometimes I'll take 1  but generally no more than three unless I'm experiencing terrible pain.  I think Vicodin is addictive for some and not for others.  I feel the same is true fro ultram.  You can't generalize how the drug will react to a particular individual.
I agree no one should live with pain. Hi my name is Tracy (Australia) I have just stumbled across its site..its very interesting, I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with pain probs.I've been in 2 car accidents wich led to multiple injury, now 30yrs later I have scoliosis, and degenerative bones and arthritis. There isn't much I can do anymore physically.. but I do take alto öf pain meds. Celebrex 3dy, Lyric 2day,Endep 2day,Derilin 2day,Tramadol SR100 1day,Tramadol 3-4ay,Cymbalta 1day,osteo panadol 2 4xday, Norspan patches 20 1wkly,Panadine forte,Oxcycodone 5, Oxcycodone 10, Oxcycontin 20...wow looks like a lot..I've had inj in all corners of my body, plates, screws, bones shortened,.. now Drs say its just pain management time....I am surprised no mention from anyone about taking antidepressants,( Cymbalta) and is no one on any morphine patches (Norespan) I swear by those.....Have a pain free day all