Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
VALIUM AND LORCET WHILE PREGNANT?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

VALIUM AND LORCET WHILE PREGNANT?

I AM 4 MONTHS PREGNANT AND WAS TAKING VALIUM AND PERCOCET FOR THE FIRST FIVE WEEKS OF PREGNANCY.  DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS WILL CAUSE ANY SERIOUS PROBLEMS?  
I can tell you that while lorcet will not harm your baby in small amounts it isn't something you want to take your whole pregnancy. As for the valium my doc said STAY AWAY!!! These are very dangerous to baby while pregnant but I do believe that the studies conducted were in women who took them throughout. You were only 5 weeks so I am sure you don't have anything to worry about. I am not even sure the baby is feeding through the placenta by then. And you would be surprised what it filters out. Congrats on the pregnancy and don't beat yourself up, I am sure you will have a healthy happy baby. If you ever need to talk I am here. I know exactly what you are going through right now and the guilt and stress is much worse than anything you ingested if those few short weeks.
Hi and welcome....Have you stopped taking the valium and lorcet and if you don't mind me asking...what were you taking them for?  If you have stopped there is every reason to believe your baby will be fine.....I got completely plastered at my brother-in-laws wedding 16 yrs ago and found out a week later that I was pregnant with my now healthy 15yr old son! The Dr said that many people, unknowingly overindulge before they realize they are pregnant! The problems arise when you don't abstain or take meds under a Drs care when you do know.  I hope this has helped ease your mind somewhat!  If you do have an addiction problem, c/t may not be best depending on the amt you are taking, if so you really need to make your OB aware of this and take it from there!  Good luck and please post with any concerns or questions you may have. You are not a bad person for this so don't beat yourself up!
Peace,
Marcie
THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH!!!!  IT REALLY MEANS A LOT TO ME AND IT DOES HELP!  I SUFFER FROM PANICK ATTACKS AND ACUTE ANXIETY DISORDER.  I ALSO HAVE CHRONIC BACK PAIN.  I HAD A PANNICK ATTACK ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND NEEDED TO TAKE A VALIUM.  I ONLY TOOK 1 10 MG AND IT HELPED SO MUCH.  MY DR FOUND IT IN A U/A AND IS FREAKING OUT.  I AM VERY HONEST WITH HIM BUT HE DOESNT SEEM TO CARE.  HE THINKS I AM TAKING THEM ALL THE TIME.  DO U THINK IT IS OK  TO HAVE A GLASS OF WINE OR TWO TO EASE MY STRESS?  IF NOT WHAT THE HECK SHOULD I DO FOR MY NERVES.  HE SUGGESTED A PSYCHIATRIST..NO THANKS.
Hi there...I also suffer from severe generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder.  Because I couldn't take my meds during pregnancy, my doc did condone the drinking of exactly (no more) 3 oz. of red wine if I absolutely needed something to calm down.  I only did this once during my pregnancy what I found most comforting was going to therapy.  My counselor helped me find ways to divert my thoughts when I felt panicked and it helped!  I would say do not drink anything without first consulting your OB...I am just sharing my story with you.  But I agree, enrolling in counseling can be the best thing for you - even long term, not just while you are pg.
I also suffer from GAD and Panic Disorder w/ agoraphobia.  During my pregnancies I took Prozac, and during my second pregnancy I was prescribed 1.5mg Ativan 3-4x/day due to severe breakthrough anxiety.  My doc said it was worse to be having panic attacks because of the effects of blood pressure, heart rate, and other cardivascular reactions on the baby.  I didn't always take the Ativan, nor did I usually take the full prescribed dose, but I felt better, and my (now)4 year old is healthy and beautiful.  It's easier said than done, but you might want to find an OB that's more understanding, and knowledgeable about anxiety disorders.  He can't just tell you not to take valium, and then not give you a medical alternative.  Are you taking any SSRI's?  I highly recommend Prozac....it worked great for me, and it's safe during pregnancy.  Good Luck!