Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Versed

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Versed

Last Friday I had to undergo two procedures that required the drug Versed to be administered to me.  Usually only one procedure is done at a time but since I was having both procedures done, a colonostomy and a check of my esophogus, the doc gave me what the nurse called "A LARGER THAN NORMAL DOSE."  

Since last Friday I have been confused, felt bad, tired and in a bad mood and just look like I've come of a week long drunk.  Has anyone here had a similar experience with this drug?  If so how long can I expect these side effects to last?

I realize this is not an addcition question but since most of us here are pharmcists of some kind I thought someone would have a little insight.

I was given versed during many of my procedures at the pain clinic. The drug should be well out of your system by now. In fact, that's one reason it's used, it has a short half life. Are you on any post procedure medications?
I;m not taking any kind of post procedure meds.  I am also trying to quit taking pain meds again and I think between the versed and w/d's my body is screaming "WHAT THE ****"    This is my second try at sobriety and Im finding out exactly how weak I really am and how strong the pain meds are.  Sometimes I really do need relief as I'm not able to take any OTC pain relievers.  Oh welll....guess it could be worse.  Thanks for your reply.
the versed is not causing these problems for you. it is a very short acting medication and is considered to be an amnesic drug so that you don't remember what took place during your procedures. i am a nurse so i do know what i'm talking about and i have also had versed during procedures. you're probably experiencing these symptoms due to withdrawals. you may need to try tapering instead of c/t since it seems that you need some pain relief. what meds are you taking and/or trying to quit?
I worked in Oral Surgery for 20 years.  We used Versed daily.  I'm not sure if you know this but all it does is basically make it so you don't remember the experience.  In all the years I worked in that field of dentistry I never heard of these kind of symptoms.  Maybe it could be something else?  Anyways, that's all I got, hope you feel better.
Doc gave me Norco 5/525....been on them for 3 years now.  Got up to 5 a day...got scared and began to reduce from there.  I was recently taking 2 pills per day and just got tired of it.  My script is for 4 per day and have never reached that amount.  I'm tired of these damn things controlling my life but not sure I have a choice.  You know....counting down the time until my next pill..wondering when it will get out of control and just wondering if this is as good as it gets.

I work in an industry where random drug tests are administered and I never know when my time will come.  The last test I took, last year, I passed...I WAS AMAZED!  

I realize the amount I'm taking is considered quite small compared to other situations but I just cant seem to get over the "one pill a day hump."
First off...the use of prescribed medications will not make you "fail" a drug test. You may test positive for the drug, but it will be resolved when you show your prescription. Secondly, you are taking a very low dose and should be able to go cold turkey without too much discomfort. However, you may want to try a week course of clonidine and taper very slowly during that week. Even cut the pill into fourths if necessary. It may be more of a mental thing than physical. Good luck to you...
I totally agree wth the mental aspect over physical.  Just gotta beat this.  Thanks for your concern and help.