Vicodin Addiction Withdrawal, How Long? Does It Ever End?
Hi all, I would just like to say that I have been lurking on this site for awhile now before finally deciding to kick my habit. I have been addicted to Vicodin on and off for around 2 1/2 years. I recently decided it was time to stop after having taken it for 3 months straight. I just did not like what I was becoming, and what this drug was doing to my life in general. I always told myself that the habit I had (I never called it an addiction even though it was) was under control, and I could stop at any time, well I was wrong for 2 years. No reason existed for me to take it other than the relaxation the drug gave me. My dosage would be roughly around 2 to 3 pills in the evening just to relax, and help me sleep. I never went over 2 to 3 pills thankfully.

I decided to stop cold turkey 6 days ago due to the fact that it was having an impact on my work, my social life, and my time with my child. It is something I am not proud of having done, so I had to stop. I have stopped before as I stated, but this time I was determined. The withdrawals were miserable, something I never expected, but only heard about. It started with a very very strong craving for the drug the first 2 days, and constant muscle aches, along with sleepless nights. All along this time the urge to swallow some pills was always on my mind. I was dizzy sometimes, had hot flashes, and was cold all the time. To try to combat the sleepless nights, I used Advil, which didn't help. The mental said of the withdrawal is much worse than the physical pains. After 6 days now, I think I am starting to return back to my normal self. I feel more alert, sharper, and overall a different person. Today I have only thought about the drug maybe a few times, but without the horrible cravings I had during the mid-week. I know that this is just the tip of the iceberg on what to expect on my long road to being clean.

The questions I have are, how long will the urge to take a pill or two last? Does it ever really go away?

Thank you,
Ben
I to recently decided to stop taking vicodin I didn't think it was a problem I started taking them 4 yrs ago after losing my sister I found myself getting violent drinking so a friend gave me a vic and told me it would help calm me well it did I enjoyed not hating life and feeling alive they made me happy and now after 4yrs I would be lying if I said I didn't depend on them everyday im scared cause I can take vic 10s all day I took 90 of them in the last four days I haven't had one all day and am finding myself breaking sweats extremely pissed off and shaking and in pain im scared cause I want off these things I want my life back but what im worried about is can the withdrawals kill me??? Congrats on finding the inner power to stop I am hoping I can also but the pain I feel inside from my sisters death is what takes me back to my addiction at this point I feel death is my only way out.
ok so not sure where to begin, but its my 3rd day off of Vicodin.  Something just snapped in me a few days ago, and I just want to stop.  I didn't really thinking I had a problem, and felt like I could stop anytime I wanted to.  I think right now the mental part is the hardest for me, and I just wonder is there gonna be some kind of light at the end of the tunnel that I will not feel the need for them.?  I finally got the courage up and tell my husband about my problem, and thank God he is supportive and is standing by my side and helping me.  It really helps to read all your posts and realize I'm not alone in this fight.  The only thing I hope is that I get my energy back, and to stop thinking about taking a pill.  I would like to see if anyone has any advise
Hon, go up to the top of this page and click on the orange ask a question button.  Copy and paste what you have typed there.  That will start a new thread and you will get the support you need.  This is a pretty old thread and your need may be missed.  Good luck!
Here we go. This is day one. I have been taking at least 10 norcos a day for the last 10 years. So here comes 5 days of sheer hell. I have quit before, only to relapse.  Most of my friends like the pills, so I need new friends.  Benadrill helps a little with the runny nose. It's the sweats, muscle twitching, and cramps that are the worst. But I am determined. I am 35 years old, and it is time to start my life. Wish me well, and much strength to you all. I'm glad I found this site. Let's do it!!
dmb3436 stopped working. Thank you guys for the support. I feel like I am in a battle for my life, but I will make it. Everyone keep well.
I have been addicted for about two years now, I would snort from 3-6 pills almost everyday, well as often as I could afford to. It started eating up my money way too much and I couldnt afford to buy the things I needed instead I wanted to just buy pills. And now here I am typing on this board. It really influenced me, nobody where I live know what its like to suffer pain pill addiction so its really hard to talk to anyone about it. This site helps out a lot though, youre all good people and you just have to stick to your goal, it might suck now but believe me it can only benefit you. I am on day four of being clean and I feel pretty damn good, I still have some cravings but I just skate to get it off of my mind. I have been going to school and skating non stop and staying active and it helps a lot and also helps you sleep at night. I wish the best of luck to all of you, you can all fight it
I've been doing viks for 7 months. I started taking them and then a friend came along and told me that snorting it was better. So I did. And I was doing more and more everyday. Then my bf confronted me and told me he wasn't gonna put up with it much longer. So I told him I would cut down and quit. This was about a month ago. I didn't do what I said. So today is the first day to quit cold turkey for me. It's really hard but I want to keep my bf in my life. He means so much to me. I know tonight I'm not gonna get a good sleep. Plus I have major anxiety and the viks helped that a lot. Idk if I can so this but I really want.
Shana:
Although I didn't snort the V, I too am in the process of stopping, cold turkey. I've been on Norco for eight months after surgery. Today is day 3...I don't feel any better, but continue to focus on the fact that I AM on day 3.  
That's all you can do...Just one comment - your boyfriend is important, but as someone noted in these posts, you really have to want to stop for yourself - to get your life back, to be who you truly are.  But, here I am with three whole days offering advise.  Good luck.
I'm on my 3 day of tappering off. I'm so scared of w/d I'm lowering my dose every 3 days until I'm down to 1 every 6 hours then off. I been taking vicodin for 2 yrs for the high,I love it. But I made up my mind about a month ago and I got the mind set now to get of. I did some reading on applecider vinegar braggs brand helps to clean body of toxins goin to buy that today to get it all out my body. I will keep you posted . Good luck to all. WE CAN DO IT!
I'm on day one i am having severe w/d I have two kids and they need me. I have been taking them for about five months I would get a prescription of 120 every month well I ran out early this month and didnt even think I would feel as bad as I do. I want to just go to sleep and wake up feeling like the person I used to be. please help.
I'm scared and the doctor here are mean I wanna stop cold Turkey but how and what helps for cold sweats and sleep I'm 23 I need support
Hi I'm gonna private message you
Hey Buddie, My name is Rick , I live in Boquete, Panama.  I'm from Texas.  I was hurt on the job twice , both times were back injuries.  After over 8 months of intense rehab at a top of the line facility ( PRIDE in Dallas,TX ) and a sucide attempt with a month in a mental hospital the first month of my injury, I went back to work , not fully recovered , but taking Hydrocodone 10/325  2 at a time every 6 hrs just to be able to get through my 12 hr shift .  Then a couple years later I fell again and reinjuried my back again. I went back to the same rehab place and again 8 hrs a day , 4 days a week of intense phy rehab and 4 months later I knew this time I couldn't get better.  They did several spinal injections , 1 of which was supposed to freeze the nerves in the disk , which worked a little for 3 months but then the pain came back.  I saw on DR OZ tv show about a new proceedure, Radio Freq. Aplasa . They insert a probe on the problem disc and shoot it with radio freq. to stop the nerve from sending pain signals to the brain.  Dont know where there is a DR that does it , maybe do a web search.  Best of luck to you
To all the people on here that are quitting and or thinking of quitting I'm looking for support and looking to give support. I'm only on like day 10 as you want to call it but I have kicked norco's like 8 times this time I'm not going back I have been through it and know what helps and what doesn't in my case the only think I can't find to help with is my mental state the demons in my head telling to go get more pills. If sme one here has a way of helping the mental urge please let me know so I can try I will try anything to find something to work. But once again any one just looking to talk please message me and we can help each other and beat this together to be free and sober.
this was just what i needed to hear! thank you!iam only 3days into this after a year of 4-10 a day of lortab 10mg.the withdrawls are terrible!the sleepless nights are horrible! the weirdness of someone correctly called creepies is rite on. its like you can feel your body searching every area for the drug! but it was awsome to hear your words of encouragement! to know that at least some of this stuff stops soon!and i know ill keep this torture in mind to help me beat this DEMON! thank you again!
when i wake up tomorrow i will be on day 3 clean...i have been using and abusing Vicodin for over 5 years...this is by far the hardest thing i have ever gone thru...i was 2months clean at one point last july but relapsed and started all over with the Vicodin cycle and now i am trying it again...i feel so defeated by this and do not even know how i got to this point...
hey dude your almost threw it most of the time its a 4 day deal coming out on day 5 by now its thrown the worst at you so I wouldent thik it will get any worst just 1 more dayty of it and you will be threw the physical part the mental end you will have to deal with for a wile
best to put some form of aftercare in place to help you threw it good luck and God bless.........Gnarly
I'm on week 2 and things are getting better. This is what you really need... Imodium, L-Tyrosine (GNC), Vitamin B6, a multivitamin with the best mineral supplement you can get, 400mg Sam E tablets (GNC), and lots of good pot. Follow the directions at first, but double the doses on the 2nd day. After day 4, you'll start seeing the world in a whole new light. Make yourself go outside at this time, and try your best to stay active. You'll naturally detox faster if you can make yourself get up sometimes. Be strong, and you can do it. Good luck.
i started using pain medication 10 mg hydrocodone about 5 years ago a began to abuse them after 1 year i would push through the withdraw until i got my refill then after 3 years the illness became much worse so i turned to heroin that went on for about 6 month and i lost every thing rock *** bottom i lost my job because if u think vicodin withdraw is bad multiply that by 1000 so i moved to get away from the easy connection but not without my pills they helped me get off the dope but back on the pills i am on day 5 it hasnt been easy especially going to work but i work as a chef and most people in f & b are recovering or still havent got to that point.  
Day 1 - this *****.  Will day 2 be any better?
thanks for your story, it has sparked me up to get thru another day we have alot in comin as far as this awfull drug just wanted to say thank for the advice i am on day 6 now i was spending 140.00 a week and would run out by day 5 , i feel a little better today just hope i can sleep when i need to thats the tough part for me i have no energy  
you hang in there i am on day 6 i was just like you on day 3 never give up day 6 is like paradise from day 3 i finally feel better most of the day but it gets better everyday after day 5 for me anyway but just hang in there the end results will be great
Just starting day 6,puking and paralyzingly anxious!!! Help!
hey princess your struggle will only be as bad as yo want it to be continue to drug and continue to die .suffer thru this and finally find what you really need  PEACE. suffer and be rewarded
I discovered a miricle vicodine withdrawl cure its gonna sound crazy, but it worked for not only myself, it worked for my norcoe pal also!! So I have been trying everything to get off of that poison and just couldn't get more than a couple of days. I was buying all my pills on the street and spending way more money than I had on them. Well all my hookups ran dry and I was so sick I thought I was gonna die. I asked my dad for a motrin to help with the pain and all he had was some tramadol so of course not even really knowing what they were but willing to try anything I thought f@#k it ill try anything!! So he gave me 10 of them.. I had some of the thomas recipe that I had bought but only a part of it and is wasn't helping so I took one tramadol.... the symptoms went away almost immediately.. that's when I read up on it!! So the next day I took an l-tyrozine and waited for the symptoms to come back they did but not as bad and I took one tramadol they went away again... I did the same thing the next day symtoms came again a little milder.. I followed the process for three more days the next day the symtoms diddnt come and I threw away the rest of the tramadol and have been clean ever since that was a week ago.. I still have the cravings now and then and had some mild fatigue up untill yesterday but kicked the norcos without any real suffering!! So I told my friend and she started the process with me in the beginning she is also clean one day less than I am and had the same effects...it really works sooo good I can't believe how easy it was!!!
So I decided to make a change for my myself and get healthy again.im sick of feeling this way. It feels like the once happy person is no longer happy, except when I took pills to make feel better. Feels like Im not on top of anything anymore and my mind is a fog, and all I keep thinking is this horible achey depressed feeling will be all over if I take one. Its been 24 hours and I want to cry. Ive been mood swingy all day... drinking coffee and soda, but I even crash on that soon of later and feel sad. Super fatigue yet I cant sleep. Hopefully soon this will pass and I feel better.
insomnia, depression, headache, and with me constipation.  Im on Day 15 also.  taking up to (6)  5mg of Vics a day for 1.5 yrs.  There comes a time where you have to say you r addicted and that if you dont have chronic severe pain. you should NOT be taking them !   Sure, it is sedating, but in order to get it after awhile you have to start taking close to 50 or 75, then 100.  Do you  wait till then to quit ?  Overdose and no waiting is required ?  Screw up your liver and wish you quit sooner than later ?   Im hoping my addiction is over, but in this world, its easy to trade one for another im afraid.
After being on vicoden for 6 years I am now going cold turkey.  I am on day 3.  Would you please tell me when this trip from hell will end.  When will I stop vomiting, ********,   depression, and most important when will the aches and pains of sorness in the joints go away.  Please help, thanks
4 years on vicodin,not for pain, but for the high of feeling energy and that feeling of being super woman. i now realize that the feeling i had was feeling numb, anything to stop the pain of memories, and the **** i was going through. I spent i think over $25,000.00 on this drug over the 4 years, having tutti buy and hustle them from people that actually had a script. I'm now 10 days clean, and this is the longest I have gone. still going through a little withdraw symptom of not being able to sleep very good,but worth going on for. Depression, bipolar, I suffer from but truly think it it's to do with this drug.  Withdraws had had me thinking a whole lot, and I'm starting to get to the root for my addiction and to face the mental part of why I started thus drug at all. These posts have always gave me inspiration, and like to say thank you for all that have shared
Your almost through the worst, make sure you pound the water drink,drink, this will help with cramps in your legs and to keep hydrated. Make yourself move around, and don't give into the anxiety of wanting them, the first couple days are rough, mentally. Just think you have these days under your belt and trust me if you backslide the withdraws are worse next time
As
Man it's so nice to read these comments they really do give me courage to face this crap. I'm only 21 and I've been on the dones for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. It started slow not for pain to have a good time with my buds before you know it I was taking 15 10mg a day then I slow down to about 10 a day. I would wake up take 5 I know 5 then wait 8hrs then then take 2 1/2 more then 5hrs later 2 1/2 more and repeat this. I had a routine I I'm about 6;3 210lbs all muscle had a full ride scholar ship to the university of Texas to play football and I pissed it down the drain cause of these pills they made me not give a ****. I was happy blowing off friends and family to just stay in my room  and watch television. Being in college all day just made me want to take them more. I hope the ones who said they had kids made it threw I'm just now starting my struggle to get clean. the urge to take them is so tempting but I'm only 52 hrs into into and it ***** sleepless night so much energy it's unreal I get tired but can't sleep. Stomach aces. Some of y'all said y'all had muscle pains and that freaks me out. I just hope some one can tell me how long it's going to take before I can wake up and not want to pop the pill so bad or get past all these withdraws. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
   Hey texan,you posted on a old thread you will get more support if you post your own.At the top of this page there is a post a question box.....Methadone takes a little longer to detox from.....Things that help with sleep tylenol pm and long baths.Immodium for stomach issues and make sure you stay hydrated.Good luck texan......
How much is a little bit longer like a week?  Or more I just think once I get past the urge to pop them I can handle all the other crap. I just don't want to give into it. Also thank you for the reply did you go threw the same thing?
        Everybodys detox is different,I have withdrawn from many drugs over the years and not one of them the same.Try not to dwell on how long its gonna take.We can make detox alot harder with the worry......And yes ive been on methadone more than i would like to admit.I am on day 5 of my latest relapse from oxy and just starting to feel normal again.You really should start your own post........Do you know how?....
Stay strong. That's good...I feel the same way what he posted...PK made me sit on my *** for 2 in half years doing nothing....coulda got some school or something done and what not......
No I don't  really know how there so many different sections. I just kinda wanted and idea an average to set a goal.
Actually I'm glad I found this page!  Thanks to you all.  I guess we all have a story.  I've been on 6 to 10 Vicodin per day for back pain for 8 years.  Finally after much body work with Pain management Doc's and Therapists, they told me my back was fixed.  So I asked my Doctor, why I still needed 6/day?  You all know the rest of that story...  I went Cold Turkey.  It's been 9 days.  Most of you have answered my question:  Does it keep you from sleep?  YES!  I didn't sleep for more than 30 minutes to one hour for the first week.  Buy the end of this week, I plan to get back in the gym, elliptical, and light free weights and many many stretching exercises.  Sleep deprivation is the toughest thing for me.  But it getting better.  Last night slept 6 hours.  What a relief!  Energy!  Maybe 6 hours 5 minutes tonight?
No way I'm going back!

bcr
Day 2 of no Vicodin after about 13yrs of daily use. I cut down from 4-5 10mg a day to 1-2 1/2 a day.  I desided to stop for good after I started dreaming about not having pills or pills getting stolen. Freaked me out that these pills could envade my mind like that! So far I feel OK just can't quit thinking about taking one. Has been like 48hrs since last dose and my nose is running and am so scared about what will come next!
Hello everyone! I am new to this and never thought I would write anything here. I have been on Norco/ Vicodin 10 for about 2 1/2 years and had my wake up call today at the pharmacy when the pharmacist told me I am a chronic abuser. WOW!!! That really opened my eyes. I mean I knew I had a problem, but did not think I was nearly as bad as some people are. But, yes, apparently I am. This is my first full day of not taking anything and my body feels so weird. I'm shaking, trembling uncontrollably and I feel like my heart is going to beat right out of my chest. I just want to go to bed, but I fear that waking up in the morning is going to be even more painful. I am dying to be normal again. I also have work tomorrow for 12 hours and do not know how I am going to make it through without killing someone! I hate when I am so dependent on something (also like my cigarettes). I am lovingly married to an awesome supportive husband and we have a beautiful soon to be 4 year old boy. These people should be who should have all my attention---not these stupid pills. I need to be that awesome mommy to my boy and I know I am not. I notice too that when I am coming down from my high I get angry for no reason and tend to take it out on my boy (not physically or anything like that) I just do not want to be around him or anyone. I used these pills also a reason/ excuse to get by. Like its time to clean the house...better take a pill. Time for work...time to take a pill. Time to do school work...time to take a pill! Also, I am graduating June 10th with Bachelors degree and used the pills as a "jump start" to get me motivated to do the work. I see people haven't posted here in a while, but hopefully we can all pick back up as I can really really use some support here!!! This is not something I want to share with my world yet. Please help me!!! Keep me updated what I can look forward to!!! Thanks everyone
I've been on Vic since I.was 19 I moved to Kansas and for 6 months I.was clean but I was always looking for something from.Xanax.to percoset anything to feel it but none of that was possible there because I didn't know anyone. I moved back to my home state a year.ago and jumped right back on the popping pill wagon I've noticed my mood is nothing without them I've been with them so long that I fear being off of them for good will make everyone I know not like me. I took them BC they made.me feel less insecure well now I'm having to quit cold turkey BC I will no longer have any access to them. I'm scared for a lot of reasons my.relationships have all been easy for me BC I had my fall back pill now I'm without anything and.once again moving where I will.not get them. I have horrible anger problems which I'm hoping r the effects of Vic and will go away but today's.my first day sober and I'm so mentally and physically tired.due to that being the first thing.I.take when I wake up to start the day..I'm 23 now and finally realized I once.lived without them so I.still should be able to..but I was insecure.and.trapped in a shell.
Will I go back.to being that.person? Biggest fear of.all :'(
I just got off of suboxone and it has been hell.  After two months I was thinking it had to be soon but no.  It has taken at least 4 months just to be able to do laundry again.  I started at 8 mg and weaned town to 1/16 piece of 1 mg. and it was still hard.  I wouldn't recommend staying on it to long.  It is lot worse to get off of than vicodin.
day 3 for me and I have conquered this addiction in the past... but don't remember it being so bad. I find, I'm crying a lot, I do have a lot going on in my life, but the depression seems overwhelming. I feel like I have the flu. I thought I remembered, this only lasting 3 to 4 days, but at this point, I don't see feeling good any time soon. I've spent way tooooo much money on these pills and really want to get past this. But I do sit here and wonder if, I'll ever feel good again. I have put off the withdraw for about a year, because it hurts. But day 3 now and I plan on getting past it. The money I have spent, could of been spent so much better. I tried about a month ago and made it to day 4, before I bought some more. I was sickened with myself. Now, I'm starting all over and day 4 scares me. I hope this only lasts a few more days, I'm wasting too much of my life letting this withdraw control me. Good -luck to everyone.

I don't mean to be harsh but the suboxone is worse over the long haul than Vicodin ever could be. I went to a "detox" clinic 10 years ago to get off vic and they prescribed suboxone...talk about going from the frying pan to the fire!--wow...suboxone did a number on me and on everyone else I came into contact with in the chat rooms, recovery rooms, detox clinics...I finally got free and clear of it after a very nasty detox in Miami for a month...this was after weaning down from recommended dosages over a span of about two years. believe me, the suboxone is far worse and the manufacturer knows it...so do the docs but, heh, it ain't their addiction or their families...get off now while you can.
http://m.wikihow.com/Endure-Acute-Withdrawal-from-Opiates-%28Narcotics%29
Hi I just found this thread via google as I am in the grips of a two year Vicodin addiction and was looking for some advice and help because I've always been a strong person and I think I can kick this bs on my own and am finally ready to do it. I'm definitely not finished reading as there is so much useful info on here but I did want to respond to,your initial question about how long to expect the withdrawal symptoms to last. My sister went through a much heavier addiction than me and has come out clean and sober on the other side. She says that kicking the habit yourself with no help such as subosone you can expect to feel bad for the same amount of time you were on the drug. So while that is her acknowledgement of how this works it is from the mouth of someone who's done it however everyone is different.

My issue at this point is whether to just suffer through the withdrawal or go get on subosone to help. My marriage is hanging in the balance and my husband has no previous knowledge of addiction and is therefore not very supportive at all and just wants it to be over "right this minute". I've tried to explain that's not how it works and can't be like that he's really at the end of his rope with this so I'm feeling very horrible about myself and very stressed to please him and that in turn makes me want to take more pills!! Geeez. It's like a never ending cycle.

Anywho I've written a book and I just wanted to comment on the initial thread.

Good luck to everyone in the grips of this horror.
heed the warnings above about getting off suboxone.
there is NO easy way out of addiction.  there is NO WAY to avoid withdrawals. you pay to play, etc

a vicodin withdrawal compared to a suboxone withdrawal is like the difference between a paper cut and being stabbed.  
you WILL go through withdrawal off suboxone sometime and it lasts months to years compared to a week of flu like symptoms.

your sister was wrong.  you will not feel bad the length of time you use.  it depends on the half life of the drug.

just stop using and get aftercare if you want to save your marriage and avoid the most painful detox you could imagine.