Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Vicodin Addiction Withdrawal, How Long? Does It Ever End?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi all, I would just like to say that I have been lurking on this site for awhile now before finally deciding to kick my habit. I have been addicted to Vicodin on and off for around 2 1/2 years. I recently decided it was time to stop after having taken it for 3 months straight. I just did not like what I was becoming, and what this drug was doing to my life in general. I always told myself that the habit I had (I never called it an addiction even though it was) was under control, and I could stop at any time, well I was wrong for 2 years. No reason existed for me to take it other than the relaxation the drug gave me. My dosage would be roughly around 2 to 3 pills in the evening just to relax, and help me sleep. I never went over 2 to 3 pills thankfully.

I decided to stop cold turkey 6 days ago due to the fact that it was having an impact on my work, my social life, and my time with my child. It is something I am not proud of having done, so I had to stop. I have stopped before as I stated, but this time I was determined. The withdrawals were miserable, something I never expected, but only heard about. It started with a very very strong craving for the drug the first 2 days, and constant muscle aches, along with sleepless nights. All along this time the urge to swallow some pills was always on my mind. I was dizzy sometimes, had hot flashes, and was cold all the time. To try to combat the sleepless nights, I used Advil, which didn't help. The mental said of the withdrawal is much worse than the physical pains. After 6 days now, I think I am starting to return back to my normal self. I feel more alert, sharper, and overall a different person. Today I have only thought about the drug maybe a few times, but without the horrible cravings I had during the mid-week. I know that this is just the tip of the iceberg on what to expect on my long road to being clean.

The questions I have are, how long will the urge to take a pill or two last? Does it ever really go away?

Thank you,
Ben
Glad u decided to post.  I too mostly lurk but I just wanted to tell u congrats.  6 days c/t is GREAT b/c now youve turned the physical corner and really have to deal mainly with the mental.  I don't know if the URGE ever really goes away but you can keep it under control by keeping yourself busy (busier than usual) and occupying your mind with new thoughts, activities, and goals.  I have found, and I am no expert by any stretch, that if I set goals for my day and stay active, that the thoughts and cravings come around less and less.  I am on day 26 (but am on Suboxone, so a little different) and have found the mental challange is less this week than it ever has been.  I have tried to find new interests and started walking - both really have helped me.  I have two children and am a stay at home mom, so it was and is important for me to find things to do for myself and reward myself for success.  Hope this helps some.  Have a great day and Your doing so Fantastic - keep it up.
Hi, thank you for your kind words, and support. It is nice to have people that are sharing the same experience as you. Your 26 days should be something to be proud of, I wish you the best of luck in the next 26 days, and beyond.

I never realized how hard doing something like this would be. I would generally like to call myself a strong willed person, but having to do something like this in my life has really changed me. My outlook is very different as to what type of person I used to be. I have grown, and am much stronger than I ever was. I do try to keep as busy as possible to get my mind off my carvings. I think I can get through this, better yet, I KNOW I can.
Since all of this started, I have said that people who overcome addiction are the strongest people.  I would have never thought that unless I had been through it.  Man, it takes some willpower, hu?  
The self talk thing is very important to.  Believe it - and achieve it, ya know?  I don't know if others would agree but I find comfort in learning about addiction.  I have reseached, read here, and been to a counselor with the hope of learning what I can so that I don't repeat the mistake.  Funny that word comes up a lot for me these days.  I was a teacher before I had my children and I guess once a teacher................. so knowledge is power - at least for me.  
I wish you the best of luck, Ben, but it doesn't sound like u need it.  You've got this thing beaten, just keep doing what your doing.  
I agree with you 100% on the being a much stronger person overall from an addiction experience. I really never thought that I would ever have been addicted to anything, but here I am. The fact that I was able to admit it to myself was one of the hardest steps forward for me.

My biggest motivation in doing this was of course my family, and secondly my well being. I didn't enjoy being tired during the day, or craving a pill. The constant cloud over my head had to go. I want to enjoy watching my very young kids grow up with a father that has clear thoughts, and is not influenced by something artificial.

You sound like a very strong person Mis Take, I thank you for your words of wisdom and experience again.
take care, ben!  you'll be in my thoughts,
check back in from time to time to keep us up to date.
Congrats, I'm at Day #6, too. I think we're over some sort of hump, b/c  like you, I feel  a lot better.

Does it ever go away? Not sure I'm much of an expert on that, but I imagine that it never really does.
I think it just sort-of lies dormant within us, waiting to hop onto some other potential addictive quality that might present itself in our lives (food, gambling, rage, sex, love, alcohol, exercise, danger, spending, etc.). As long as we are diligent in our recovery and watch for signs of other potential abuse (and seek help long b4 it's a full-blown problem) we can probably lead fairly productive and happy lives anyway. That's what I'm hoping anyway!

That's my 2 cents. Best of luck to you, and kept us current with your progress.

--Athena
im glad your here and taking the right steps towards your recovery, i was taking 25-35 lorcet and soma a day for a long time. i tried suboxone and was abusing them, Ive been here for support since march 1st and met so many friends that have truly helped me. i had 28 days and slipped, and was honest and posted it and got alot of help, i dont know if the mental ever completly goes away but the longer clean time you get you find more ways to keep those thoughts from comming back. Im glad to know you now. your friend Clay TX
You are almost over the worst part, so hang in there!  Just remember, if you go back you have to do this all over again.  You asked when the urge would go away, and you were right-it never does.  It will lessen over time until you hardly ever think about it, but then you let your guard down and if you are not prepared bad things can happen.  A few months from now, when pills seem so far behind you, you might think that just one will be ok.  One is too many and a thousand is never enough.  Ever.  The best thing you can do is go to a Narcotics Anonymous or Pills Anonymous meeting.  Even if you don't think you're an addict, you can get support there from people who have been through it.  There is only one requirement to go to these meetings:  the desire to stop using drugs (or pills).  Good luck.
I am on my first day without a vic. I just recently admitted to myself that I was addicted. The hard thing about my addiction is that I don't look for them. they just kinda fall into my lap. So that makes it 10 times harder to say no. I had 2 days without any so I went searching for them. The minute I spent money on them I knew I was an addict. I just took the last one of those yesterday morning and boy! do I feel like ****! I have 2 small children and the worst part of it all is that I feel like they know something is wrong with mommy. I know I need help but I have no insurance. So I guess it's cold turkey for me. Even worse still is I know more will be coming soon...oh god give me the strength.  I give my congrats to those who are kicking the habit and pray that I will have the same will power. Good Luck to all!
I am new on here, and I'm not sure how much I will be able to post for awhile.  I'm on hour 52 of kicking my vicodin addiction cold turkey.  I decided to count hours and try to play a mind trick on myself, trying to make it sound like more than what it is and to tell myself that it will be over soon.  The way I'm feeling right now, I don't think it's ever going to end.  I'm not sure really what made me decide to write about it.  I guess it's because on here I know someone else is going through it or has already and that gives me strength to keep pushing on.  I try to talk to my bf about it, but he don't know what I'm really going through, and I'm not in the best of moods and it just turns into a fight.  I can't help myself.  Sorry for the ramblings, I guess I'm just trying to keep myself busy.  Good luck to everyone that is kicking this with me.  I feel for all of you.
I've posted elsewhere but seem not to be getting any answer.

I am 6 days mow. crawlies are gone, insomnia is persistant and my body aches like the dickens.  Especially my legs...not only ache but real weakness.  I am eating the best I can and supplimenting it with ensure.

Is this normal?  When can I expect this body pain and lack of motivation to end.

lack of motovation takes a while to end, just make yourself do as much as you can...push yourself, thats the only way you are gona get anything done! pains, you just gotta take otc pain relivers and deal with it. The pain depends, if you are in real pain then you have to find another way to deal, if you are in w/d pain they should get better in 5-7 days
Thank you very much.  I believe I am in day 6...the real blessing is the creepies are gone...those were friggin' brutal.  Clonidine saved my life I think.  The pain isn't "bad"...it's just constant and nagging and mostly in my legs.  I can suck it up...it's just the motivation to even go shower that takes a re-alignment of the planets it seems.

Thanks for answering and understanding.

./
but you know it is kinda wierd, i think you can mentally convince yourself that yopu cant do anything, i think half the battle is just getting up and doing it
You know...I won't argue that...have even put the theory to test this morning.  It's just that after maybe 10 minutes of activity, I am so physically fatigued that I just sit where ever I can...in essence, I guess I just wanted to know how long this lasts...I got stuff to do. ;-)  Trying to do it this morning didn't work out so well.

./
i am on day 1 of kicking the habit!! I have been taking about 40 to 45 mg of Vik now for about 8 months straight. Wondering if ne one knows how long the crappy feeling will last?
Hey all, glad to see that I'm not alone in dealing with these problem. This is my second go 'round with addiction to hydrocodone. I got into a bunch of trouble stealing to support my habit about 2 years ago, I got cleaned up for about a year and was feeling great, I was still occasionally smoking pot and drinking and eventually I thought I could handle taking just one or two hydrocodone pills when they again became available to me. Well this escalalted to me taking anywhere from 4 to 10 hydrocodone a day, depending on availability. I'm not really able to substain the cost of the addiction any longer so I'm once again on the road to recovery. Last time I quit I moved to a whole new area to remove myself from tempation, but it seems to always have a way to catch up to you. Yesterday I had 2  7.5mg pills early in the morning, and nothing else for that day. Today I woke up feeling absolutely awful, nervous, sweaty, achey (achy), etc. I managed to fight off the craving for most of the day, but it caught up to me in the evening and I ended up taking 3 of them in about 4 hours. I have 2 more for tomorrow and I plan on trying to only take 1 in the morning, and then the other one the following morning. Hopefully tapering off like this is going to help, but I know it can be done so I'm trying to remain optimistic. I'm glad to see all these success stories, there is no harder battle to be fought in life than against ones own self, and you're all incredibly strong for being able to do so. Good luck to us all.
Dearest Ben
I too am going through what you are.
I didnt realize how much I had changed since taking this drug Vicodin
The money that I spent on this **** is crazy
I am slowly getting back to who I once was,the person and family member that everyone loves
There are too many VICO-VAMPIRES eager to sell you these for 3-5dollars per pill.
I love who I am and had wondered who I was had gone
I shut out everyone and was just Happy being in my bedroom.
I lost my Supervisor position that I had for 4 years making 40,000.00 per year.
I used just up and leave without thinking.
I learened my lesson the Hard way-
My only SALVATION and I kid you NOT the BEST REHAB in THE WORLD is THR GOD OF ABRAHAM,THE GOD OF JACOB <THE GOD OF ISAAC.  I am not a Religios Freak
I only speak it as truth.
I now have a WONDERFUL job making close to what I was making.
MY GOD gave this to me in return for giving my life to him
Good Luck
Panch in DC

this ***** day one no vics or precs been takeing them for 3 years i get 90 percs per month there gone in 2 days then take 4 to 8 vics per day after that i had a majour back operation and i liked drugs anyway so thats leads me to where im at now i need to get through the next week i have 3 kids they dont desreve this im home all day so bordom is a problem i guess we will see what will happen need to get through withdrall
I had been taking the Vics for about 5 years. I would get 200 per month from my Dr. and have to buy more after a couple of weeks.  I was not myself the whole time.  I couldnt do anything without having the drug, like going to a movie or a relatives house or anything I felt I needed the pills to make me happy.  I could never have a drink without taking a few pills.  If I went to the casino to play poker it was on!!  Drinking and pills and gambling and womanizing wow what a life.  Then one day I looked in the mirror and had these great big bags under my eyes my skin was all pasty and pale my eyes tired and bloodshot not to mention how I just let my weight balloon from a gym fit 190lbs to an out of shape 220lbs.  But when I tried to face reality I did not like what I saw so I would have a few pills and a few shots and Shyt I was lost in my fantasy worl again knowing it was just temporary and I would quit and get fit again.  Well I wasted a good portion of my life with that philosyphy and I finally got a wake up call when I found out my liver was enlarged from the booze and the pills.  I have been of the Vics for 15 days now and I can promie every one of you that you will feel better and look back and think what was I thinking.  I have tons of energy I want to see people now instead of avoiding them.  I am back at the gym taking it slow at first but it feels awsome to know I am on the right path again.  I am eating a healthy diet and stopped drinikng hard booze and sticking to beer.  I am still having a few problems with sleeping thru the night but I will get thru it.  I just want everyone to know I swear its worth it all the pain you are going through be the person who you were and are meant to be not the one the drug controls.  I am here to answer any questions or to help with symptoms. So feel free to email me at ***@**** or just post here.  Your family and friends want you back and I know you can do it  : )
I have been on norco 10 325 for almost 4 years I decided to stop cold turkey I am on my 5th day and I never felt so sick in my entire life..i got chills..sweats..headache..diarheaa..nauseas..extreme fatigue..i never felt like this in my life? Does it go away? I can't imagine to take even one pilss because I would contue the dosage throughout the day it affected all aspects of my life and I'm worried I caused damaged ti my body..someone please tell me these symptoms go away and I will feel normal again.
sorry- just wondering how the hell you managed to get that much from your doc!  i'd move to CA to get that.  

i know everyone's ******** lines- but i have serious, legitimate back pain and V is the only thing that helps.  i have ulcers from trying to self treat with IB, spent over $3K on back procedures i can't afford, ended up at a neurologist because i was given muscle relaxers by the back doctor- the side effects where so dreadful, they thought I had parkinsons  keeping in mind, i am in my thirties, raising too little girls, finishing a divorce, and a full-time student.  i can't even work with my school/children's' schedule so we are living off cc....

but i have also realized it it a dangerous game.  the pills help my back but i want them just as much as i need them.  i'm on hour 33 without.  waiting til my script is ready sunday....definitely realizing i need to taper as i am dying from cold turkey,  my usual pain + this pain is killing me.  i think a reason that will make we quit is my girlfriend.  she loves me very much but she can't ever be involved with an addict again and i don't want to lose her....

btw- i take about 3-6 (8 on a bad day) of hydrodone 5s.  ive been given tons of other stuff- every benzo known to man, soma, name it- i have no craving for those....problem is, script is for 60/mo
Please help me!  i took my last pill wed or thurs morn and decided to tell my finace what has been going on.  I had shingles a couple of years ago and started takin percocet and i have been on them ever since. I can take 5-15 pills...anykind i can get my hands on a day.  Im so sick and i dont want to go anywhere because my fiance says the woest is over. I wqas in a terrible accident ysterday and I wont go to the hospital cause Im scared to ever take a pill again.....I can do this again.  I really want this but I dont know if Im gonna make it!  Please help.....
My use was recreational, and light compared to some I've read.  I've used off and on for a couple of years.  occasional evening use.  Only in the last 6 months did I use more because of some back pain and a few scripts.  Then I got from a friend after that.  But usually 1, sometimes 2 in the evening was all I took.  The one day I felt like crap at work in the day and took one.  I soon felt just great.  That was the moment I realized these buggers are a problem.  I was able to go a year with occasional use and no withdrawal when I didn't have it so it surprised me.  I'm 72 hours this minute and things have been okay. The first 24 hours were the worst for me since I'd been having at least one at night just to get in my system and sleep okay it seemed. Foggy brain, head ache, diarhea (diarrhea).  I can only imagine the withdrawal for some that I've read and admire your strength!  I figure I'm though the worst, but thought I would already feel better.  The mental part is okay.  I just want the physical to go away. I split all my last ones in half and took half at night for a few days.  I have one half left, but I got home and paced until I hit 24 hours, so decided not to take the last one.  I figured I would just be delaying the crap another half day if I did.  Good luck and thanks for sharing everyone.  Even small use can cause withdrawals.  Remind this to any casual users that you know.  One day you wake up and it's not casual anymore.  It happens so fast... Take Care
I have been taking hydrocodone for almost 2 years now. I can handle up to 15 7.5/7.5 vics at a time and up to 15 10/325 norcs at a time. I use them recreationally twice a day, about 6-8 in the morning and 8-10 at night and drink beer with them. I realize this is very high doses for most of you but my tolerance is through the roof. I am running low on money to support this habit and i know i need to kick it for myself and everyone else. I also abuse oxycotton 40s-80s whatever i can get my hands on. I took an oxycotton yesterday but havent had any pills since about 1 o clock in the afternoon yesterday. I already am having withdrawals. I really only pain and creepers in my legs and am not really motivated to do anything. I also can't really sleep because of the restless legs from the withdrawals. I am almost 24 hours clean and am trying to keep it that way. I need to do this for myself. my advice would be to never mess with hydrocodone its way too addicting especially when you can get it anytime.
Hi Ben!  I don't know if you are still reading these posts or not.  It looks like it's been about 6 mos to a year since you went c/t.  How did that go?  Are you still clean from the vicondin?  I've been taking it for about 1 1/2 yrs straight.  I get 112 every two wks.  I usually run out about 3-4 days before my renewal.  I've been taking the 7.5mg/325mg. dosage ones usually called Norco.  I've tried several times to stop especially when I run out & have to withdrawl (withdrawal) for 4 days anyway, but then I get my refill & I can't resist.  I do have sciatica nerve pain on the left side so that's what started it.  I still have the pain so I fear having that all the time if I get off the vicodin.  I just hate depending on it to feel ok or motivated to do anything.  I don't want to go anywhere any time, but especially if I don't have pills.  I have also been given a prescription for Oxycontin, 84 a month  10mg.  They're slow release, but I have gastric bypass & they don't stay in my body long enough for slow release so I started chewing them.  They feel great for the few first minutes, but I took a months worth in 1 wk & started to vomit from time to time after I was out. That sucked & I won't do that again.  I really hate being sick.  I stopped vomitting after 1 wk w/o Oxy.  I just ran out of the vics & am feeling the pain in my muscles. I hope it goes away soon.  The last few times this has happened, I ended up in urgent care to get a script to carry me thru the couple days til my refill.  Like I said before, I just want to stop depending on the pills.  I hope you are still doing good!  Take care!  -Shay
To the post up a little ways, about religion.

I have never been a religious person but I have always believed there had to be something out there watching over us. If there wasn't, I would be dead right now for sure.

But I have been praying a few times a week for about a month now and I am seeing a big change in things. I've been rock bottom for jeez...almost 2 years now. I am running my own business now and it is picking up more then ever and even though I am still fighting addiction, there has been A LOT of progression. I guess it's just up to me to follow through with it.

Stay strong guys, I am right here with you fighting this beast.
I was taking 20 to 30 pills a day and when i couldnt get them I would chew pieces of a patch (fentanyol). I have been clean for 16 days. When does the depression go away. It is killing me. I never felt this low before is this normal.
I commend every single one of you on here that have the strength to admit you have a problem and it needs to stop!  I have been addicted to vicodin for the last 3 years.  It started innocently enough, 50 every two weeks from my doc.  Then he started giving me 150 a month, then 4 months ago when I fully intended to tell him it needed to stop because the pills never lasted, he upped my scrip to 240 a month!  I started taking up to 25 a day, and couldn't even make the 240 last a month.  Not only was I getting a large scrip, I could get about 40 a month from my stepmother because she had no idea I had the others.  I am a 41 year old mother of two and my life is in the toliet!  I finally went last week to the doctor and told him it had to quit!  I told everyone in my family so I would be less likely to relapse.  I am on day 3 of cold turkey and it is AWFUL!!!! I usually ran around like a madwoman and never slept and now all I can do is crawl up into a ball.  I remember sitting at the computer watching the pharmacy online waiting and waiting for my new scrip.  I always ran out, so I would have to go two or three days or more every month.  I have found that cold and sinus pills do help with the crawlies, at least for me.  Everyone on here keep strong, and remember none of you are alone!
3 years wasted on VICO. I'm on day 8 and feel great. Finally slept about 7 hours. Broken, but still I appreciate it after the last week. If you can hang on, you will feel better. Make sure to cut off all ties to gettin them and it makes it easier. Good luck!!!
I'm so glad I stumbled onto this page.  On day 2 off vicodin, and I'm recognizing a lot of the things I see here.  I've been kicking this around for 2.5 years, only recently admitting that this is a problem that I can't keep up with.  They've been easy to get so far but I don't want to know how far I might go to get them, if it gets any worse.

Someone mentioned she feels as though her kids can tell something's wrong with mommy.  I know that feeling, except with me it's my girlfriend.  She's new to me still, doesn't know about my addiction... I keep getting this feeling like she's not going to like me without them, that she can tell I'm withdrawing.

Someone else mentioned the lack of drive for anything... they're right too.  Nothing is worth the effort right now.  But I wouldn't have even typed this, admitted this, unless I had read "One is too many, a thousand is never enough."  It scares me how true that is.

Just because I'm not committing violent crimes or living in a box doesn't mean I'm not an addict.  I need to see day 3, day 6, day 365, and all the other days, without this pill.

Ben I'm proud of you for day 6.  For me that's an eternity away, God I need to do this though, or I'll never feel safe.
Odd I stumbled on to this site obviously from a google search how long does vic w/d last and felt compelled to read every post. I am sitting here at the 24 hour mark and its not dreadful but it is pretty bad. I am sure this is just the beginning. I realized the last couple months how I was always running right to the wire for my script this month however I am about 4 days shy. I have exhausted all my options and have been debating going to a urgent care place to get them. This however is when I realized there is something wrong with me. I don't even get the high on them anymore I take them just to get through the day. Pretty sad. I never thought I would have to admit that I was addicted to pills. From what I read first 6-7 days are the worst.. well here is to day one down working on day 2. Thing that ***** is the true back pain I have is worse now due to w/d. Oh well I will tough it out I hope. Guys keep posting its giving me something to read to help me out. Good luck to everyone.
Hey there - I'm on day 2, no sleep, and no energy. I'm trying to be realistic, but the drug is taking over my mind at the moment. I'm desperately trying to stay busy, and find things to do. Too bad I can't tell anyone about this because then I could snap everyones head off w/ AN excuse. lol  I'm praying for strength to make it to day 3. Congrats to you for making the decision. I keep reading others comments just to know I'm not alone in this. Keep up the good work!
This is a great support opportunity ...But I suggest that you start your own thread.  This is an old thread that you have commented on and I am worried for you that you will not get much support.  I am on day 15 of no vicodin/norco.  I was taking about 10 ...10/325 norcos a day.  The first 4-5 days were physically awful.  I hurt..had the diareah..cried about everything..all I wanted to do was lie in bed but I could not get comfortable to do that.  After the physical withdrawls were over in about a week now I am having trouble with the mental rebuild.  I broke down during my 15 days and did take 2 of the little devil pills however I am determined to starve this addiction out.  My husband is also right there with me..same amount of pills a day and quit the same time.  However he tried to tapper with other narcodics thinking it would lesssen the blow.  I do not think it did...actually I think it made it worse for him.  What really helped me I  believe is the thomas reciepe.  It is a combination of vitamins that helps your body repair itself.  I have never really had anything wrong with my back other than pulled muscles three times (i am 36)   Once I stopped taking these pills my back hurt awfully bad!!!  I started to think I really had an issue however I think back and do believe it was the pills leaving my body and my body trying to level itself out. Start a new thread by posting your own question..this will get you some support to get through this.  Good Luck!!  It is worth the every step.  Day 15 and I feel very much like myself..everyday gets better and better and better...Stay hydrated.  I hope to see you here   kris
Hey folks. Congratulations to everyone reading this. This is clearly the first step, or one of the steps in trying to get off. You are searching for a reason - my reason was that no longer felt in control of my life. I was prescribed vicodin when I got into a hospital with a kidney stone and VERY unpleasant symptoms. I immediately realized how effective vicodin is in relieving my migraines. I felt as though I was saved! I found the miracle cure! I was once again able to function, despite constant migraines. And so it went on for a number of months, until I quit smoking and changed my diet. Then I decided to try and stop vike's, to see whether I still get the headaches, or whether I can manage them. Well, I stopped, and I got NASTY withdrawal symptoms you are all familiar with. And so - I got really scared, scared that I was now a drug addict. I immediately stopped cold turkey, and for 3 days felt like crap. After those 3 days (luckily I did this on Friday) I felt better, and I introduced a lot of aerobic exercise, running, lifting etc. in my daily routine. I got clear.

However, after some time, I had to take vicodin again, and my headaches were once again a part of the reason (or excuse) to do so. Took them for a while. Took breaks in between, to make sure that I still have control and am able to get off. All was fine. I also found an amazing method for helping myself get off this nasty stuff. I break the habit on the weekend. On Friday. I bear through Friday at work, and when I get home, I induce coma, helping my body get clear of the crap. In order to do this - I sleep!!! Yes, I know that sleeping is a near impossibility when you're getting clear, but I found Tranquila Relaxation Shots, which are little bottles of a natural relaxation stuff that help your body stop shaking, and they have a blue PM bottle that actually knocked me out and helped me get to sleep!!! They don't recommend drinking more than one, I think, per day, but I drank 2 PM Tranquila shots to really knock me out and sleep. I recommend picking-up some of this stuff - they have it in a bunch of grocery stores and online. It's pretty cheap for what it accomplishes and how it relaxes me without the jitters. I wake up still thinking about vikes, and I try to eat something healthy (as if to reward myself) nothing fattening, no fastfood. I drink as much water as possible, and I drink Orange Juice. Then I try to get some air, try to stay away from people at that time (to not show myself, and how presumably sick I look) and early on I drink two more Tranquila's and go back to sleep in front of a TV. This stuff works, and you feel better and better as time passes!!! :)

Good luck to everyone, and I hope this helps some of you!
Hello, I am a frequent reader of these board- I never thought I would become a pill addict, it snuck up on me 2 years ago and I have been in its deadly grasp ever since.  The funny thing is, I don't even get high anymore for them but the cravings and fear of stopping make me keep buying.

Anyway, something forced me to quit and I am now in Day 2- I went from norcs to subutex tapering over 7 days then back to 5 mg vicodin for only 4 days then nothing.

I am doing pretty good, achy and depressed, but not so bad.  So here is my question- if my withdrawals are manageable right now on Day 2 does that mean Day 3 will be better or can it get worse?

took my last of my pills. i am going cold turkey. GOD HELP ME. I no longer desire or want to take them anymore. TIRED of being TIRED in depending on them. I hope my strength which I hope I still have and blessing from above will make me encounter what is to come . To anyone who is reading this PLEASE stop taking them . I have been taking them for years and feel that the only way i could function is by taking them. NO MORE i have to put a stop to it and i finanlly decided to stop; GOOD LUCK to you on your journey as I am about to start mine today. Scary but at the same looking fwd to being myself again.
Best wishes to all. Trust me your not along.
I feel that I am in a dangerous limbo.  My habit is a weekend habit.  On a bad weekend i start taking them on Friday.  1.5 pills (Either 10 mg norco or 7.5 victor), then another pill.  All washed down with a generous amount of alcohol.  Then comes Friday...I feel ok in the morning (Obviously a relative term considering what I ingested the night before)  Then once I leave work, I choke down another 1.5 and usually another pill or two, all with booze of course.   It doesn't feel as good without it right?  Cause tomorrow Saturday and I don't have Sh** to do. So now my count for two days is 5.5.  Then on Saturday I start to feel pretty achy in the morning and really tight and stiff.  Almost bloated if that makes sense. But man its Saturday!  I can party a little again.  I know that tomorrow is Sunday, the lords day, and I will not partake.  I will recover..So Saturday brings more booze and probably 4 pills total for the day.  Now we are at 9.5 for the "Weekend".  Sunday rolls around and I feel like CRAP.  To put it mildly.  I can't think straight, I have no strength, I am an actual waste of space.  And then a funny thing happens, I convince myself that if I take half of what I took the night before, I can taper off and will be ok for Monday.  So I do it and sleep ok but wake up a shell of my former self on Monday.  I swear off alcohol, eat healthy, and try and summon the strength to work out during the week.  By Wednesday I start to feel ok.  (I don't sleep through the night now mind you)  Then it starts all over again on Friday.. or Thursday.  

What an Effing vicious cycle.  I won't bore you with the hows and why's.  For the better part of my life I have been very athletic and full of optimism and hope. The only thing I have ever been addicted to in my life are basket ball and reading.  I now find myself spending the better part of my time managing my life on pills in my mind.  I am trying to figure out the best way to not use them, or to use them and feel like i'm not using them, or to just use them, have a blast and not give a **** about any one or any thing in life.  And the last reason is what got me into this mess in the first place.  I am 12 days off of them and I am starting to feel like myself again.  Once you get past the physical pains, the mental is the hardest and I fear will never truly subside.  

This is the first time that I have spoken/written about this in my life.  I have read every post on here and I truly admire all of your courage and strength. I hope all of you never give up.
Glad to see lots of people giving helpful advice on this. I just made my decision to stop yesterday after my last pill at 1pm. I was using vic for the last year and a half to help me move past my divorce and have the energy to keep up with two small kids. Well I realized in the last 6months that even though I was only taking about 2pills a day sometimes as much as 4 that I was addicted. It made me feel like I was just trying to get through everyday and not really living. Sure there is that rush at first but it doesn't last. I made the decision all by myself and it ***** to have nobody to talk to about it because nobody knew I was even taking them. I thought I was invincible....superwoman. I couldn't get addicted, I had it under control. Well this time I was wrong. I really hope to feel like my old self soon because I don't even remember what that was like. I can't even describe how I feel today. Exhausted, sick, achy, depressed, and I can't function.
Is it possible I could feel normal soon? I need to be a more attentive mom who isn't so moody and I try my best but it breaks my heart to know that I am all they have and I am not as calm and supportive as they need me to be.  ugh!!

as of now I am 1 1/2 days over this s**t. I don't ever want to take them again!
no doubt it helps to read others stories...

I was taking 1 or 2 percs or vicodin a day, would skip a day or two here and there, feel like crap... skipped a couple of weeks this fall mostly because I could not get any, but then i'd get another bottle of that crap and was back on the train.

I just came off maybe 60 days of doing 1 or 2 of them every day, its been almost 48 hours, nobody knows about this but me... it was my secret addiction... so it is my secret withdrawal... it *****.

a few things that seem to help
hot tub
take small 5lb weights and lift them in all directions for 2 or 3 minutes every time you feel the horrible cringes just go grab those little weights.

I am mentally saying to myself that it is just like having the Flu - there is nothing I can really do about it and it is going to last for 5,6,7 days.

I think i'm going to get through the physical part I hope I can deal with the long-term.

not sure if anyones reading this old thread but reading and posting here sure made me feel better yesterday (yesterday was day 2 no pills).

I felt pretty crappy last night drank 1 1/2 liters of water, took some sea minerals, and went outside and forced myself to jog. I would jog for a block, then walk a block, then jog a block.
came home took a hot bath with epsom salt. used the light weights
I took a hit of weed last night. (pot makes me pretty sleepy)

Last night I even saw a friend who I know had pills in his pocket. My whole body was cringing and burning. I did not bring the subject up... **** that was hard. Something that helped keep me from
bringing up the subject was the way he looked. He had kind of darkness under his eyes
and he looked fidgety. It reminded me that pills do not really make you feel good...
they just make you want more pills.

I woke up this morning and feel really good... wow what a feeling and a relief.
I took my last pill on sunday morning at 10am. It is now wednesday morning.
I am so happy I did not take one last night.

Now I know my usual tough times are in the late afternoon. In the past I have even thought
that if I could have a prescription that would allow me to walk-in, sign something, and walk out with one 7.5mg pill between the hours of 3pm and 7pm it would be an ideal situation.
I still have pretty painful neuropathy (which got me on the pain pills in the first place) and I am going to have to deal with that.

Again my tips for reducing vicodin withdrawals

• put a rubberband around your wrist. when you are having pain and thoughts of
breaking down, pull that rubberband and snap it hard into your wrist. remember
the pain it causes you to get off of them and that you don't want to feel this pain again.
I might have to wear this rubberband on my wrist for a long time.

• Sea Minerals - they might be one of the great cures of all time.
liquid form, they taste unbelievably horrible. I mean really bad.
Put a teaspoon into a shake with a banana, some protein powder & milk.
add a little honey and a small piece of ginger.

• as I mentioned above USE THE 5LB WEIGHTS
when you are feeling horrible it is hard to do but go pick them up and just start
lifting them, curls 30 times, over your head 30 times. It will keep you occupied for a few minutes
and moving your muscles and joints around will help with the wd pains.

• drink lots of water. distilled water is supposed to help leach things from your blood. might be
a crock, but for the next week or so I am drinking 1 1/2 liters of distilled water and 1 liter of regular water each day.

Physical wds from your dose should be well less than a week.  Seems as if u used to relax, many use for nrg.  It is common to crave them at the times u used to take them for a while but it passes.  I was a daytime user, so nights were a breeze for me during wd.  Exercise helped me alot and the thomas recipe as well in the health pages.
I know it sounds strange, but many hydro users are also using alot of tylenol as well.  Sometimes the body is also in mild wd from tylenol too.  Sometimes taking a tylenol may help vs sumpin like advil.  Just a suggestion.
There are some great natural sleep aids like valerian root and melatonin available at the store...some use benadryl OTC.

Good luck to u
and skim thru the health pages...lots of great info there  (:
I was a heroin user back in the 80s. I never used a needle, which allowed my denial but sniffing heroin 2 to 3 days a week for over 5 years was a big problem. At first, I had it under control. I would've get high on a Fri. Or Sat. Night. Done. No withdrawal symtems, no urges till next week. Then do it again. 1 day became 2 days a week. Fri. And Sat. Was party time... Then came the withdrawal symtems. Mostly involuntary profuse sweating. Beside the general crappy depressed feeling.  This would start Sun. And last to either Tues. Or Wed. I did that for over 5 years. Well after many years of self sobriety. I now have the problem of not being able to take any  kind of pain medication more than once without having the sweats and sleepless nights. I have arthritis herniated and bulging discs.etc etc. Any suggestions?   In pain   with no gain.
Tramadol is an opoid (which means that it is a synthetic opiate-like substance). When I am prescribed pain meds for any reason,I always ask my doc to prescribe that instead of opiates...Docs always agree to do it and never give me a problem with it. It is legal and is not addictive like true opiates. I used it to kick my vicodin habit and it worked great. They don't prescribe it very much in the USA for some reason, but you can buy it online fairly easily (It is not illegal to buy or take here...except for maybe in a few states you need a scrip)...it is prescribed as a vet medicine a lot, i noticed (my dog was prescribed this med for a skin rash..lol..and NO i DID NOT take her pills. lol.)
I have been clean 5 days now and i am so scarred this is my first time with anything like this and i know it was hell the first couple of days and now i just have nausa and cant realy sleep at nite with out sleep aid. I was using vic and percs for my crohns for 6 months to a year and they were starting to make me feel worse and i just want to be clean and free of them and i know it is going to be a long road but i pray every day that he helps me and i am seaking out side help besides my family and i just want to feel like my self wen i did not us pills and be so happy and just enjoy my life. I need more suport and when will the nausa and nurves ness go away please help i am scarred.
Just settle in and don't try to rush the process in your head Angel..

The restlessness, lack of energy,, swirling thoughts and emotions are going to linger about another week ..Your sleep will continue to be spotty for another 2 weeks before you really notice it coming back where your getting more than an hour or two inbetween wakeups..It might come back quicker but its best to think in terms of three weeks for the lingering symptoms to fade away and honestly feel strong positive changes happening on a daily basis..

Its like a waiting game during this spell of the wd's. Your over the worst of the physical aspects and now the body needs time to readjust and get back to remanufacturing the natural chemicals for the brain that the meds put on hold..Try to fill your days with busy work that will distract you from the lingering symptoms..The more you do it, the easier it gets. A shower first thing in the morning does wonders in getting your days moving..

Try to come to terms with the fact that our body's did not become dependent overnight nor can we expect it to get back into balance overnight either..The next week and a half will strain you some in the mental dept as those "when will these ill feelings end? " type thoughts will constantly hound you if you let them..The key is pushing those thoughts aside and look at the positive accomplishment of being another day pill free..Try to focus on the positive aspects of what you have accomplished so far..Don't allow the anxiousness to pull you down into thinking about how ill you still feel, rather think about how good "you will" be feeling in a couple weeks time..

You are taking your life back from the pills..They took your identity away and now you are reclaiming that which you want back..Use the ill feelings against the pills..Afterall, your feeling the way you do "because" of them..And use those thoughts to shore up your determination that they will not rule your everyday thoughts no more...Things will get better..It just takes more time than we were expecting..

Btw, if you post your own thread (on top of the main forum page you see "post a question"), more people will see you and offer what helpful hints they have for you in getting thru this process..This is an older post and being such, they tend to be overlooked at times..Congratulations on 5 days so far..Your doing great..Next thing you know it will be 10 days, then 20..:)
I have been on pain pills for two years now because I injured my back. Started with Tramadol. I would take 4x's the daily dosage listed on the bottle. It gave me a horrible rash but I kept taking them. When the 3 refills ran out I told the doctor about the rash and he gave me Darvacet instead. Again I took many times the daily doseage on the bottle. I love feeling happy and peaceful. I lost tons of money in real estate investments and I get so depressed taking these pain pills makes me feel better. Than they recalled Darvacet. I asked the doctor to give me a substitute and he gave me Vicoden. It's only 60 a month. Sometimes I take 4 a day (two in the morning and 2 in the late afternoon. When I start get low I skip a day or so but can't wait to take them the next day. I know I'm addicted. Now I ran out 13 days before I can get a refill and I was so restless I couldn't sleep. I even took some cough syrup with Codeine to help me sleep but I hate the hangover Codeine gives me. I am very restless and can't wait until  I'm allowed to maybe get a refill. Who knows. I do want to quit though completely though because I know I am dependent on this pills to make me happy and I know that it is false happines.
Hello, my name is Michelle, and I was a vicodin abuser for about a year and a half. Well today is my 3rd day without any, and so far I'm doing ok. My doctor has me on some anxiety, blood pressure, nausea, and diarrhea meds. I haven't has any nausea, I have had very little diarrhea. I feel pretty tired and weak but that's bcuz I've been sleeping a lot.
Like I said I'm on my 3rd day, I was just wondering how much longer until I feel semi-normal again?
Michelle
i am on day 21 of kicking the addiction and being clean.  It does get better as you go.  It has kinda turned into a competion with my brother to stop or see which one of us could succeed.  This has helped us both because we are very competitive.  We are both on the same day and have not slipped this time.  I feel the worst is behind us.  I have never gone this long.  I was taking about 12 lorcet and 12 somas a day for the past 6 years.  I feel like i might be able to think straight.  Congrats to all of those whom have posted with good news.
Thanks for some of the most encouraging info on the thread. It's always so great to see a "success" story! We all have our tales of woe of how, why, etc. I am 24 hrs. clean after being 5 days clean since last Sun. nite. BUT, what I really didn't know was that Tramadol could completely mask the w/d symptoms and postpone them, even taken as directed! So, after researching online, I stopped that c/t, and the fun began! Sorry, I meant being clean of Norco 10/325, 6 or so a day. Am determined, and will try to perservere, but MD's need to put more info out there about Tramadol. I would have gone on with that believing that I had really conquered the beast, possibly feeling pretty smug secretly about it! It's really, REALLY miserable. Been through it once before, so I know what to expect. I had just hoped that maybe I could escape the inevitable. I just want to experience real happiness again, you know? I can't remember the last time I noticed colors, or simple pleasures, like a spring day, etc. It will be such a relief not to have to plan every social outing around my refill date!!!!  Will let you know.....Colorless
ok i really do not know where to begin.. let me just start by saying that I have never been through such a withdrawl (withdrawal) detox from anything like vicodin.  i have been using for over 4 yrs would range from taking 4 to 12 a day.. i am on day 1 of detox. i cant stop shaking. hot flashes doesnt seem to end and the overall feeling of will this ever be over.  i keep telling myself that if i can make it through detoxing from cocaine and meth, that i can make it through this.  hope right now seems so far away. but i know its not.  i know there is a better life out there then this ****.  im probably babbling but knowing im not the only person out there going through this gives me strength. my 2 yr old gives me strength and my husband as well. awwwwwww it just feels like its never gonna end. tomorrow i plan on getting my lazy but up taking my daughter to the park and playing some bball hopefully that will help some.  guys just say a prayer for all us addicts! we can do this
wooow I am on day 2! NO VICODIN!.   I cant believe im saying this but I dont feel like **** as compared to yesterday.  The cravings still come and go.  Mood swings as well come and go, but luckily after taking 2 sleeping pills along with my anxiety meds I got 12 hrs of sleep.  To others out there I would def say sleep as much of the withdrawls off as you can.  I feel so lucky to be able to sleep compared to others who mention not being able to.  I still feel lazy, but I motivated myself to get up and clean my entire house spotlessly clean roflmao.  Recovery at this point still feels far away, but I know good things will come if I keep this up.  I just wanted to update and let people know how I am doing if anyone is still reading this thread.  Good luck to others out there
I've read bout all these post an its very rough I'm right now trying to kick the habit of vic an perc I have anxiety to. My girlfriend doesn't really care wat I'm goin through atleast I think she doesn't I am on my second day I haven't really talked to anyone just been to myself. I kno wat u mean bout the crappy feeling that most have said. I'm trying to give it up cold turkey as everybody says with no support hear at home I feel like the negative energy gives me strength. But seeing people on here makes it alil easier... keep it goin think about how long u abused it for atleast withdrawal isn't as long as we been using cuz we would be in trouble but Gooood luck to all those keep Ur head way up an when it gets to hot turn up the prayerconditon (lol)
My husband has been hooked on vicodin/pain killers for the last 40 years. He was up to 480 Vicodin ES a month through a civillian dr and getting more plus fententyl patches through the VA. Yes my husband does have some true pain. But mostley in his head PTSD from Vietnam ( He lost both legs). He went though a rehab though the Gibson House for 30 days, Did it help?? Not sure!!! The VA doctor putting him in at Gibson House gave him Tramadol for his pain. Last week I got a call from my daughter that her dad was acting odd. (This was supposed to be around 60 days clean) I left work to find a crazy man, holding a knife doing a cheers with it and talking to people that were not there (one of which was his grandmother that has beed gone for decades. I got him to the hospital and his hallutionations became worse and it looked like he was having seizures, so after all day in the ER waiting..I went up to the desk and told them he was getting worse...so finally they got him in a bed in the ER. He halluciated for 2 days...and one stupid nurse...right after I left for the night gave him a vicodin...WTH was she thinking??? She was told nothing stronger then a tramadol!!! She said he asked for it...I told her i had POA she was told nothing stronger then a tramadol. She told me he was in his right mind when asking for it. I told her she was CRAZY I sat by his bedside for 2 days while he was having hallutionations. She was his nurse for maybe an hour (because they changed shifts) So now her we go again. Where do they get such stupid nurses. Well anyway he has been in the hospital for 5 days now running tests EEG's and he is throwing up blood. But we did find out that he got a hold of my daughter cough medication the day he went in PROMETHAZINE with CODINE and probably downed 180 mls. So we are thinking that cause the hallutionations.....Good luck to all of you out there fighting this horrible addiction and remember what you are doing to your families....Is it really worth it do you really want yor kids last memories of you to be of your addictions. Stay strong you can beat this. My husband when he comes out of the acute hospital is going back to the Gibson House this time for 90 days because after 40 years I just don't think 30 days was enough. Good Luck my prayers are with you all and your FAMILIES.
I am 12 days clean, I still feel tired and sometimes get dizzy upon standing. I get worried everyday that I will go back to using. The one thing I worry about the most is this, when I wake up in the morning, the first thing I use to do was take a pill, when I didn't have them I would wake up and think about the idea of not having it and get very depressed, I hope that goes away very very soon. It ruins my intire day, I have not told anyone in my family of this addiction, so they don't have any idea what I am going through and I'm am trying very hard to make everyday life as normal as possible, good luck
I've been taking vicadins for awhile im having back surgery.in June I missed my dose last night and I got up.so  sick my doctor.said when its time she will wean me.off of them should I  don't want to be on them anymore should I try getting off of them on my own or let the doctor help me the way I felt this morning now I'm scared
I had a back injury that requkired me to hve fusion L5 S1. The doctors took 1 1/2 years diagnosing this.In the meantime I became addicted to percocet and oxicontin. I realized I was addicted after taking 2 oxi 40 and 5-6 perc 10(self medicating myself) at a time and I would start sweating an hour later (withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms). My back has started again. I have been back on percs and now vicodins for about 45-60 days and back to my old ways taking to many at a time telling myself the prescribed dose does not work. Well needles to say I have gone through my current scrip and in agony! Can't get a refill till Saturday. My back is killing me! I feel like such an idiot. I had to go to rehab last time. They put me on Soboxin for the withdrawls and told me that they would be sending me home on them. When I found out someone else in rehab was there to come off the Soboxin. I went straight to them and told them to wean me off everything before I left. I did not want to be a slave to a prescription again.
Humph! Well here I am again and angry at myself.
They are doing a Myelogram on Monday and I am hoping they can tell me what is going on. If this is going to continue I do NOT think I can make it. I can't do this again.
Well today i took my last pill (i hope). I had started taking them to work those extra hrs. Then went through a hellish breakup and loss of work for 3 yrs and  became depressed. Now i have a job app. In 10 days. And have to pass a drug test. The job is worth 100k a yr with great benifits.  I had stopped taking for about a 2 months b4and my friend was selling me his  suboxin. To calm the anxieties. In the past. I need support peeps. I cant believe this tiny little object is standing in my way of a successful life. Ive sparred ** penn, matt brown, and uriah faber all world champs but this thing is kicking my ***!!.  has anyone been 4 months or more clean and can share a testamony to inspire me.  The problem is i dont really want to quit but i have to choose between a great career or poverty. And i am single with no kids so i have no devoting inspiration. I start today. And thanx 4 all yous guys honesty. Uhhh.... Here i go!   Paulie.....
I to recently decided to stop taking vicodin I didn't think it was a problem I started taking them 4 yrs ago after losing my sister I found myself getting violent drinking so a friend gave me a vic and told me it would help calm me well it did I enjoyed not hating life and feeling alive they made me happy and now after 4yrs I would be lying if I said I didn't depend on them everyday im scared cause I can take vic 10s all day I took 90 of them in the last four days I haven't had one all day and am finding myself breaking sweats extremely pissed off and shaking and in pain im scared cause I want off these things I want my life back but what im worried about is can the withdrawals kill me??? Congrats on finding the inner power to stop I am hoping I can also but the pain I feel inside from my sisters death is what takes me back to my addiction at this point I feel death is my only way out.
ok so not sure where to begin, but its my 3rd day off of Vicodin.  Something just snapped in me a few days ago, and I just want to stop.  I didn't really thinking I had a problem, and felt like I could stop anytime I wanted to.  I think right now the mental part is the hardest for me, and I just wonder is there gonna be some kind of light at the end of the tunnel that I will not feel the need for them.?  I finally got the courage up and tell my husband about my problem, and thank God he is supportive and is standing by my side and helping me.  It really helps to read all your posts and realize I'm not alone in this fight.  The only thing I hope is that I get my energy back, and to stop thinking about taking a pill.  I would like to see if anyone has any advise
Hon, go up to the top of this page and click on the orange ask a question button.  Copy and paste what you have typed there.  That will start a new thread and you will get the support you need.  This is a pretty old thread and your need may be missed.  Good luck!
Here we go. This is day one. I have been taking at least 10 norcos a day for the last 10 years. So here comes 5 days of sheer hell. I have quit before, only to relapse.  Most of my friends like the pills, so I need new friends.  Benadrill helps a little with the runny nose. It's the sweats, muscle twitching, and cramps that are the worst. But I am determined. I am 35 years old, and it is time to start my life. Wish me well, and much strength to you all. I'm glad I found this site. Let's do it!!
dmb3436 stopped working. Thank you guys for the support. I feel like I am in a battle for my life, but I will make it. Everyone keep well.
I have been addicted for about two years now, I would snort from 3-6 pills almost everyday, well as often as I could afford to. It started eating up my money way too much and I couldnt afford to buy the things I needed instead I wanted to just buy pills. And now here I am typing on this board. It really influenced me, nobody where I live know what its like to suffer pain pill addiction so its really hard to talk to anyone about it. This site helps out a lot though, youre all good people and you just have to stick to your goal, it might suck now but believe me it can only benefit you. I am on day four of being clean and I feel pretty damn good, I still have some cravings but I just skate to get it off of my mind. I have been going to school and skating non stop and staying active and it helps a lot and also helps you sleep at night. I wish the best of luck to all of you, you can all fight it
I've been doing viks for 7 months. I started taking them and then a friend came along and told me that snorting it was better. So I did. And I was doing more and more everyday. Then my bf confronted me and told me he wasn't gonna put up with it much longer. So I told him I would cut down and quit. This was about a month ago. I didn't do what I said. So today is the first day to quit cold turkey for me. It's really hard but I want to keep my bf in my life. He means so much to me. I know tonight I'm not gonna get a good sleep. Plus I have major anxiety and the viks helped that a lot. Idk if I can so this but I really want.
Shana:
Although I didn't snort the V, I too am in the process of stopping, cold turkey. I've been on Norco for eight months after surgery. Today is day 3...I don't feel any better, but continue to focus on the fact that I AM on day 3.  
That's all you can do...Just one comment - your boyfriend is important, but as someone noted in these posts, you really have to want to stop for yourself - to get your life back, to be who you truly are.  But, here I am with three whole days offering advise.  Good luck.
I'm on my 3 day of tappering off. I'm so scared of w/d I'm lowering my dose every 3 days until I'm down to 1 every 6 hours then off. I been taking vicodin for 2 yrs for the high,I love it. But I made up my mind about a month ago and I got the mind set now to get of. I did some reading on applecider vinegar braggs brand helps to clean body of toxins goin to buy that today to get it all out my body. I will keep you posted . Good luck to all. WE CAN DO IT!
I'm on day one i am having severe w/d I have two kids and they need me. I have been taking them for about five months I would get a prescription of 120 every month well I ran out early this month and didnt even think I would feel as bad as I do. I want to just go to sleep and wake up feeling like the person I used to be. please help.
I'm scared and the doctor here are mean I wanna stop cold Turkey but how and what helps for cold sweats and sleep I'm 23 I need support
Hi I'm gonna private message you
Hey Buddie, My name is Rick , I live in Boquete, Panama.  I'm from Texas.  I was hurt on the job twice , both times were back injuries.  After over 8 months of intense rehab at a top of the line facility ( PRIDE in Dallas,TX ) and a sucide attempt with a month in a mental hospital the first month of my injury, I went back to work , not fully recovered , but taking Hydrocodone 10/325  2 at a time every 6 hrs just to be able to get through my 12 hr shift .  Then a couple years later I fell again and reinjuried my back again. I went back to the same rehab place and again 8 hrs a day , 4 days a week of intense phy rehab and 4 months later I knew this time I couldn't get better.  They did several spinal injections , 1 of which was supposed to freeze the nerves in the disk , which worked a little for 3 months but then the pain came back.  I saw on DR OZ tv show about a new proceedure, Radio Freq. Aplasa . They insert a probe on the problem disc and shoot it with radio freq. to stop the nerve from sending pain signals to the brain.  Dont know where there is a DR that does it , maybe do a web search.  Best of luck to you
To all the people on here that are quitting and or thinking of quitting I'm looking for support and looking to give support. I'm only on like day 10 as you want to call it but I have kicked norco's like 8 times this time I'm not going back I have been through it and know what helps and what doesn't in my case the only think I can't find to help with is my mental state the demons in my head telling to go get more pills. If sme one here has a way of helping the mental urge please let me know so I can try I will try anything to find something to work. But once again any one just looking to talk please message me and we can help each other and beat this together to be free and sober.
this was just what i needed to hear! thank you!iam only 3days into this after a year of 4-10 a day of lortab 10mg.the withdrawls are terrible!the sleepless nights are horrible! the weirdness of someone correctly called creepies is rite on. its like you can feel your body searching every area for the drug! but it was awsome to hear your words of encouragement! to know that at least some of this stuff stops soon!and i know ill keep this torture in mind to help me beat this DEMON! thank you again!
when i wake up tomorrow i will be on day 3 clean...i have been using and abusing Vicodin for over 5 years...this is by far the hardest thing i have ever gone thru...i was 2months clean at one point last july but relapsed and started all over with the Vicodin cycle and now i am trying it again...i feel so defeated by this and do not even know how i got to this point...
hey dude your almost threw it most of the time its a 4 day deal coming out on day 5 by now its thrown the worst at you so I wouldent thik it will get any worst just 1 more dayty of it and you will be threw the physical part the mental end you will have to deal with for a wile
best to put some form of aftercare in place to help you threw it good luck and God bless.........Gnarly
I'm on week 2 and things are getting better. This is what you really need... Imodium (immodium), L-Tyrosine (GNC), Vitamin B6, a multivitamin with the best mineral supplement you can get, 400mg Sam E tablets (GNC), and lots of good pot. Follow the directions at first, but double the doses on the 2nd day. After day 4, you'll start seeing the world in a whole new light. Make yourself go outside at this time, and try your best to stay active. You'll naturally detox faster if you can make yourself get up sometimes. Be strong, and you can do it. Good luck.
i started using pain medication 10 mg hydrocodone about 5 years ago a began to abuse them after 1 year i would push through the withdraw until i got my refill then after 3 years the illness became much worse so i turned to heroin that went on for about 6 month and i lost every thing rock *** bottom i lost my job because if u think vicodin withdraw is bad multiply that by 1000 so i moved to get away from the easy connection but not without my pills they helped me get off the dope but back on the pills i am on day 5 it hasnt been easy especially going to work but i work as a chef and most people in f & b are recovering or still havent got to that point.  
Day 1 - this *****.  Will day 2 be any better?
thanks for your story, it has sparked me up to get thru another day we have alot in comin as far as this awfull drug just wanted to say thank for the advice i am on day 6 now i was spending 140.00 a week and would run out by day 5 , i feel a little better today just hope i can sleep when i need to thats the tough part for me i have no energy  
you hang in there i am on day 6 i was just like you on day 3 never give up day 6 is like paradise from day 3 i finally feel better most of the day but it gets better everyday after day 5 for me anyway but just hang in there the end results will be great
Just starting day 6,puking and paralyzingly anxious!!! Help!
hey princess your struggle will only be as bad as yo want it to be continue to drug and continue to die .suffer thru this and finally find what you really need  PEACE. suffer and be rewarded
I discovered a miricle vicodine withdrawl (withdrawal) cure its gonna sound crazy, but it worked for not only myself, it worked for my norcoe pal also!! So I have been trying everything to get off of that poison and just couldn't get more than a couple of days. I was buying all my pills on the street and spending way more money than I had on them. Well all my hookups ran dry and I was so sick I thought I was gonna die. I asked my dad for a motrin to help with the pain and all he had was some tramadol so of course not even really knowing what they were but willing to try anything I thought f@#k it ill try anything!! So he gave me 10 of them.. I had some of the thomas recipe that I had bought but only a part of it and is wasn't helping so I took one tramadol.... the symptoms went away almost immediately.. that's when I read up on it!! So the next day I took an l-tyrozine and waited for the symptoms to come back they did but not as bad and I took one tramadol they went away again... I did the same thing the next day symtoms (symptoms) came again a little milder.. I followed the process for three more days the next day the symtoms (symptoms) diddnt come and I threw away the rest of the tramadol and have been clean ever since that was a week ago.. I still have the cravings now and then and had some mild fatigue up untill yesterday but kicked the norcos without any real suffering!! So I told my friend and she started the process with me in the beginning she is also clean one day less than I am and had the same effects...it really works sooo good I can't believe how easy it was!!!
So I decided to make a change for my myself and get healthy again.im sick of feeling this way. It feels like the once happy person is no longer happy, except when I took pills to make feel better. Feels like Im not on top of anything anymore and my mind is a fog, and all I keep thinking is this horible achey (achy) depressed feeling will be all over if I take one. Its been 24 hours and I want to cry. Ive been mood swingy all day... drinking coffee and soda, but I even crash on that soon of later and feel sad. Super fatigue yet I cant sleep. Hopefully soon this will pass and I feel better.
insomnia, depression, headache, and with me constipation.  Im on Day 15 also.  taking up to (6)  5mg of Vics a day for 1.5 yrs.  There comes a time where you have to say you r addicted and that if you dont have chronic severe pain. you should NOT be taking them !   Sure, it is sedating, but in order to get it after awhile you have to start taking close to 50 or 75, then 100.  Do you  wait till then to quit ?  Overdose and no waiting is required ?  Screw up your liver and wish you quit sooner than later ?   Im hoping my addiction is over, but in this world, its easy to trade one for another im afraid.
After being on vicoden for 6 years I am now going cold turkey.  I am on day 3.  Would you please tell me when this trip from hell will end.  When will I stop vomiting, ********,   depression, and most important when will the aches and pains of sorness in the joints go away.  Please help, thanks
4 years on vicodin,not for pain, but for the high of feeling energy and that feeling of being super woman. i now realize that the feeling i had was feeling numb, anything to stop the pain of memories, and the **** i was going through. I spent i think over $25,000.00 on this drug over the 4 years, having tutti buy and hustle them from people that actually had a script. I'm now 10 days clean, and this is the longest I have gone. still going through a little withdraw symptom of not being able to sleep very good,but worth going on for. Depression, bipolar, I suffer from but truly think it it's to do with this drug.  Withdraws had had me thinking a whole lot, and I'm starting to get to the root for my addiction and to face the mental part of why I started thus drug at all. These posts have always gave me inspiration, and like to say thank you for all that have shared
Your almost through the worst, make sure you pound the water drink,drink, this will help with cramps in your legs and to keep hydrated. Make yourself move around, and don't give into the anxiety of wanting them, the first couple days are rough, mentally. Just think you have these days under your belt and trust me if you backslide the withdraws are worse next time
As
Man it's so nice to read these comments they really do give me courage to face this crap. I'm only 21 and I've been on the dones for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. It started slow not for pain to have a good time with my buds before you know it I was taking 15 10mg a day then I slow down to about 10 a day. I would wake up take 5 I know 5 then wait 8hrs then then take 2 1/2 more then 5hrs later 2 1/2 more and repeat this. I had a routine I I'm about 6;3 210lbs all muscle had a full ride scholar ship to the university of Texas to play football and I pissed it down the drain cause of these pills they made me not give a ****. I was happy blowing off friends and family to just stay in my room  and watch television. Being in college all day just made me want to take them more. I hope the ones who said they had kids made it threw I'm just now starting my struggle to get clean. the urge to take them is so tempting but I'm only 52 hrs into into and it ***** sleepless night so much energy it's unreal I get tired but can't sleep. Stomach aces. Some of y'all said y'all had muscle pains and that freaks me out. I just hope some one can tell me how long it's going to take before I can wake up and not want to pop the pill so bad or get past all these withdraws. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
   Hey texan,you posted on a old thread you will get more support if you post your own.At the top of this page there is a post a question box.....Methadone takes a little longer to detox from.....Things that help with sleep tylenol pm and long baths.Immodium for stomach issues and make sure you stay hydrated.Good luck texan......
How much is a little bit longer like a week?  Or more I just think once I get past the urge to pop them I can handle all the other crap. I just don't want to give into it. Also thank you for the reply did you go threw the same thing?
        Everybodys detox is different,I have withdrawn from many drugs over the years and not one of them the same.Try not to dwell on how long its gonna take.We can make detox alot harder with the worry......And yes ive been on methadone more than i would like to admit.I am on day 5 of my latest relapse from oxy and just starting to feel normal again.You really should start your own post........Do you know how?....
Stay strong. That's good...I feel the same way what he posted...PK made me sit on my *** for 2 in half years doing nothing....coulda got some school or something done and what not......
No I don't  really know how there so many different sections. I just kinda wanted and idea an average to set a goal.
Actually I'm glad I found this page!  Thanks to you all.  I guess we all have a story.  I've been on 6 to 10 Vicodin per day for back pain for 8 years.  Finally after much body work with Pain management Doc's and Therapists, they told me my back was fixed.  So I asked my Doctor, why I still needed 6/day?  You all know the rest of that story...  I went Cold Turkey.  It's been 9 days.  Most of you have answered my question:  Does it keep you from sleep?  YES!  I didn't sleep for more than 30 minutes to one hour for the first week.  Buy the end of this week, I plan to get back in the gym, elliptical, and light free weights and many many stretching exercises.  Sleep deprivation is the toughest thing for me.  But it getting better.  Last night slept 6 hours.  What a relief!  Energy!  Maybe 6 hours 5 minutes tonight?
No way I'm going back!

bcr
Day 2 of no Vicodin after about 13yrs of daily use. I cut down from 4-5 10mg a day to 1-2 1/2 a day.  I desided to stop for good after I started dreaming about not having pills or pills getting stolen. Freaked me out that these pills could envade my mind like that! So far I feel OK just can't quit thinking about taking one. Has been like 48hrs since last dose and my nose is running and am so scared about what will come next!
Hello everyone! I am new to this and never thought I would write anything here. I have been on Norco/ Vicodin 10 for about 2 1/2 years and had my wake up call today at the pharmacy when the pharmacist told me I am a chronic abuser. WOW!!! That really opened my eyes. I mean I knew I had a problem, but did not think I was nearly as bad as some people are. But, yes, apparently I am. This is my first full day of not taking anything and my body feels so weird. I'm shaking, trembling uncontrollably and I feel like my heart is going to beat right out of my chest. I just want to go to bed, but I fear that waking up in the morning is going to be even more painful. I am dying to be normal again. I also have work tomorrow for 12 hours and do not know how I am going to make it through without killing someone! I hate when I am so dependent on something (also like my cigarettes). I am lovingly married to an awesome supportive husband and we have a beautiful soon to be 4 year old boy. These people should be who should have all my attention---not these stupid pills. I need to be that awesome mommy to my boy and I know I am not. I notice too that when I am coming down from my high I get angry for no reason and tend to take it out on my boy (not physically or anything like that) I just do not want to be around him or anyone. I used these pills also a reason/ excuse to get by. Like its time to clean the house...better take a pill. Time for work...time to take a pill. Time to do school work...time to take a pill! Also, I am graduating June 10th with Bachelors degree and used the pills as a "jump start" to get me motivated to do the work. I see people haven't posted here in a while, but hopefully we can all pick back up as I can really really use some support here!!! This is not something I want to share with my world yet. Please help me!!! Keep me updated what I can look forward to!!! Thanks everyone
I've been on Vic since I.was 19 I moved to Kansas and for 6 months I.was clean but I was always looking for something from.Xanax.to percoset anything to feel it but none of that was possible there because I didn't know anyone. I moved back to my home state a year.ago and jumped right back on the popping pill wagon I've noticed my mood is nothing without them I've been with them so long that I fear being off of them for good will make everyone I know not like me. I took them BC they made.me feel less insecure well now I'm having to quit cold turkey BC I will no longer have any access to them. I'm scared for a lot of reasons my.relationships have all been easy for me BC I had my fall back pill now I'm without anything and.once again moving where I will.not get them. I have horrible anger problems which I'm hoping r the effects of Vic and will go away but today's.my first day sober and I'm so mentally and physically tired.due to that being the first thing.I.take when I wake up to start the day..I'm 23 now and finally realized I once.lived without them so I.still should be able to..but I was insecure.and.trapped in a shell.
Will I go back.to being that.person? Biggest fear of.all :'(
I just got off of suboxone and it has been hell.  After two months I was thinking it had to be soon but no.  It has taken at least 4 months just to be able to do laundry again.  I started at 8 mg and weaned town to 1/16 piece of 1 mg. and it was still hard.  I wouldn't recommend staying on it to long.  It is lot worse to get off of than vicodin.
day 3 for me and I have conquered this addiction in the past... but don't remember it being so bad. I find, I'm crying a lot, I do have a lot going on in my life, but the depression seems overwhelming. I feel like I have the flu. I thought I remembered, this only lasting 3 to 4 days, but at this point, I don't see feeling good any time soon. I've spent way tooooo much money on these pills and really want to get past this. But I do sit here and wonder if, I'll ever feel good again. I have put off the withdraw for about a year, because it hurts. But day 3 now and I plan on getting past it. The money I have spent, could of been spent so much better. I tried about a month ago and made it to day 4, before I bought some more. I was sickened with myself. Now, I'm starting all over and day 4 scares me. I hope this only lasts a few more days, I'm wasting too much of my life letting this withdraw control me. Good -luck to everyone.

I don't mean to be harsh but the suboxone is worse over the long haul than Vicodin ever could be. I went to a "detox" clinic 10 years ago to get off vic and they prescribed suboxone...talk about going from the frying pan to the fire!--wow...suboxone did a number on me and on everyone else I came into contact with in the chat rooms, recovery rooms, detox clinics...I finally got free and clear of it after a very nasty detox in Miami for a month...this was after weaning down from recommended dosages over a span of about two years. believe me, the suboxone is far worse and the manufacturer knows it...so do the docs but, heh, it ain't their addiction or their families...get off now while you can.
http://m.wikihow.com/Endure-Acute-Withdrawal-from-Opiates-%28Narcotics%29