Vicodin
I am battling an addiction to Vicodin stemming from a root canal which I underwent nearly 2 years ago. I have smoked pot years. Daily, in fact. It has torn me up. My confidense, my spirit; everything. I am newly married for the first time and am considering a pregnancy in the near future, but want to ensure that all chemicals are out of my body (this will remain the case even after my child arrives), my concern is how long does it take to get these drugs completely out of my system, knowing that there was a time recently - prior to our wedding - when I was taking up to 3 to 4 extra strength Vicodins per day or 6 to 8 regular strength per day. It's a sad truth, and it's embarrassing. But, I know in my heart this is not what I'm about. Marijuana was the gateway drug when I was 12 and vicodin was something that I felt made me "happy." I felt confident and not as nervous to engage in idle conversation with friends/relatives when I was on Vicodin. Now, my thoughts are drastically different. I want to be healthy and I want a healthy family. So, I'm asking this question of anyone out there.

I appreciate the help.
Dear Moon Leaf,
          I was addicted too. I know how you feel. I felt the same. I started with Vicodin & it progressed. I would take anything that was Codiene based. This started 5 years ago. It does make you happy Hell it makes you feel Great! But since I stopped all my true feelings came back. I am so much more HAPPY. I had to go into a treatment center to detox it took 7 days. I don't know where  you are but the place I went to was called Intracare North (281)893-7200 I know they have other places. Please call. You re in my prayers
I have been sober for about a week and a half now, im 34 weeks pregnant.  I was not a heavy abuser, but I have taken Vicodin-Percocet-Tylenol 3 throughout the pregnancy for migraines and ovarian cysts.  It was  helpful to read your concerns, I took the medicine sometimes when I wasn't in any pain, I just took it (like you) to feel more comfortable around people.  I felt that daily life was easier to deal with on a pill, but the sad fact is that everything comes back time times worse when the pills where off.  I have gone cold turkey by myself with this addiction, due to my embarressment, not even my husband knows or my doctors.  I strongly discourage this.  I have a strong faith in god and he is the only one I can rely on right now and I know he will pull me through, but I wish so desperatly to talk to someone and just cry, cravings hit a lot but I do have to say it has gotten much better.  I don't know if ive helped you or you have helped me, but either way, good luck and you will be in my prayers.

Susan  <))))<
Susan,
You do not have to go through this trying time in your life alone.  Please email me if you would like to.  I am not an addict, but have lived w/ it all my life.  If you would just like to vent, please email me.  Maybe we can chat j_trevethan***@****
i was addicted to Vicodin too, i had a hard time getting away from them.....now im on anti-depressants...and i feel great
SOMETIMES A HELPFUL DRUG DOES GET A "BAD RAP" BECAUSE IT IS ADDICTING ; HOWEVER WE MUST REMEMBER, IF WE HAD NOT HAD THAT PAIN RELIEVER-WE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN A GREAT DEAL OF PAIN.
I KNOW, ALTHOUGH I FEEL I'M NOT ADDICTED TO VICODIN, I AM ADDICTED TO PAIN.  I'VE HAD BUERGERS DISEASE FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS AND THANK GOD "VICODIN" HELPED ME THROUGH THE PAINFUL TIMES BEFORE THE 12 SURGERIES I'VE ENDURED. I ONLY HAVE TWO THUMBS AND A FINGER LEFT, AND THE REMOVAL OF MY GRATE TOE.
OF COURSE THE "STATE OF MICHIGAN", KNOWS MY PAIN MORE THAN MY DOCTOR, SO THEY REGULATE HOW MANY I SHOULD TAKE AND FOR HOW LONG.MY "STUBS" HURT IN COLD OR DAMP WEATHER, OR FOR NO REASON THAT I KNOW .  I'M NOT A POT SMOKER, AND WITH 4 KIDS, AS A SINGLE PARENT, I CAN'T JUST GET DRUNK TO RELIEVE THE PAIN. BESIDES THEN I'D BE AN ALCHOLIC.  I DO SMOKE, AND HAVE TRIED MANY REMIDIES TO QUIT.
BOTTOM LINE, I COME TO THE WEB TO FIND SOMEONE TO PRESCRIBE VICODIN TO HELP ME.  I DO NOT TAKE 8 OR 10 750MG A DAY, BUT I DO TAKE 4 SOMEDAYS.  SO IF SOMEONE HAS ANY LEFT OVER OR KNOWS HOW I MAY FIND SAME  EM  ME.
GOOD LUCK TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE ADDICTED, BUT REMEMBER THERE ARE SO OF US OUT THERE THAT ARE NOT HAPPY BEING ADDICTED TO "PAIN"
I'M A MALE 55 IN MICHIGAN
BOB
WELL, I REPLIED TO MOON LEAF'S MESSAGE OF AGES AGO.
OBIVIOUSLY, OTHER RESPONSES DON'T TAKE PRESIDENCE.
OKAY, I TRIED, BUT VICODIN DOES HELP WHEN YOU REALLY NEED IT.
THE KEY IS WHEN TO SLOWLY WORK YOUR WAY OFF IT
"ONE DY AT A TIME"
GOOD LUCK
BOB
I have had a problem with vicodin addiction.  I am still coming
off it and it's not easy.  I have been off for almost 9 days
now. It been very hard.  but I know I can do it
I am really new to this computer thing so I may not be doing this right..bear with me.  I have been on hydocodon or codiene or anything similar for 3 yrs.  I have been to treatment in an out-pt. facility.  It didn't work 'cause I was given Ultram to help with the leg pain.  Well, Ultram may not be considered a narcotic but it sure as heck acts like one in every way.  It doesn't create a "high" like hydro. or codiene but it takes the pain away and you do withdraw.  Now I am addicted to it.  It's not a controlled substance so it is fairly easy to obtain.  No one seems to know much about it...anyone out there know..I am ready to stop feeling like you know what.  I want a normal life and I want to know what it is like to feel good without chemicals.  Please help.  This is the first time since rehab that I have asked for help.  Thanks
Hi, I'm addicted to vicodin, and have been for the past three years.  I take ten a day, and I'm constantly running out and turning into an obsessed person to get more.  I've tried to stop for 1 or 2 days at the most but the withdrawl symptons are too much.  I really feel like supermom when I'm on it, the house is clean, dinner is ready, and I play with the kids.  Most of all I'm happy.  Why does this have to be a bad thing?  I really want to stop but I don't know how to survive anymore without it.  Is there anything else I can take that would be over the counter or perhaps herbal?  I don't want my children to grow up with an addict for a Mother.
I AM AN ADDICTED MOM ALSO.  I AM READY TO GET OFF CODIENE FOR GOOD FOR ME FOR MY HUSBAND FOR MY CHILD.  WOULD YOU SACRIFICE YOUR CHILD FOR ANOTHER BOTTLE OF THIS ****.  THE ANSWER IS NO FOR YOU AND FOR ME.  SO, THINK ABOUT YOUR KIDS AND THEN GO THROUGH IS FOR THEM.  I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY MEDS OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP YOU.  I AM RESEARCHING IT NOW.  LET ME KNOW IF WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER.  HANG IN THERE.  GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR KIDS, BY THE WAY, DOES YOUR HUSBAND OR PARENTS.FAMILY KNOW ABOUT YORU PROBLEM.  IF NOT...TELL THEM NOW.  YOU CAN'T DO IT ALONE.  ALSO, DO YOU HAVE FAITH IN GOD. READ YOUR BIBLE AND PRAY...HE IS LISTENING, JUST LIKE I AM TO YOU.
Hey, I know where you are coming from, 10ys. My advice is that you have addictive behavior, and that these drugs after pain are only a syptom of your problem. Its not about Vicodin,its about you.Good luck and email me if you want to talk,Anny
I am in serious pain from a gynecological problem...I have 2 cysts embedded in the uterine wall near my "kidney transplant."My question is it harmful to the kidney and what does it interact with.I am on immunosupressents.I do not have a"habit"  I am waiting for "real" pain to subside and wanr information on this medecine.
i just took a vicodin, i feel really happy, please help me =) please give me another one, my friend is being selfish, he won't share the rest of his vicodine with me.
I am also hopelessly addicted to the substance vicodin ES.  The pain I feel from being a junkie is outwayed by the pain it helps subside.  I can't prevent myself from obtaining this medication because of a medical condition that I use as an excuse for taking eight to ten vicodin ES on a daily basis, and have for nearly eight years.  Depression, self-loathing and desperation are but a few of the feelings that are derived from this tablit laden habit.  I would like some advice on how to break this albatross dangling from my soul before my liver or kidneys fail. Further, I would like to know how, specifically I am slowly killing myself with this narcotic.  Please help!!!!
-
can someone tell me the sysmptoms of addiction and sysmptoms of if they are dangerously close to overdosing. The lady I care for I have suspected is addicted ( since I found 600 V s hidden in a coffee can. She is emerg rite now for heart palpations, elevated heart beat and numerous other sysmtoms. She SHAKES terribly , can even hardly feed herself anymore, plus she is taking the V ( on the sly) on top of numerous other medds that were given to her legally. Shakes, loss of appetite, no energy, sleeps continually, unstead gate, confusion , agitation, disoriented..these are her symtoms
I TWO AM TAKING VICO.  I HURT MY BACK 10/99. I'AM HAVING BACK O.P MON.AND EXPECT TO BE ON DRUG ANOTHER 4-6 WEEKS AFTER THAT.  MY SON-IN-LAW AND DAUGHTER HAVE BEEN TAKEN 300 TO 400 PILL BETWEEN THEM FOR 21/2 YRS, SO I AM VERY CONCERNED ABOUT GETTING HOOKED.  THANKS FOR YOUR LETTERS, I WANT TO INCOURAGE YOU TO GET HELP IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY. I AM TRYING TO TAKE ONLY AS NEED. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.
I have been taking vicodin for nearly 2 years, I am a amputee, my right leg, and they discovered tumors in my stump(R leg) I have had 2 surgeries and they can't get them all, I thought this would be an easy way to deal w/ life and now I know I was wrong, I get a perscription  each month and always run out a week before, and am out, the pain is terrible worse then the tumors, I need to know a easy way to get thru the withdrawls, help.....
Opiates (like vicodin) are tough to beat, but can be accomplished thru alot of hard work. I would urge you to attend an AA or NA (narcotics anonymous) in your area today to get you thru this. I was strung out on this stuff for 15 yrs, and have been clean for all of 2 weeks. Difficult? of course. I also think of the potential damamge this stuff has done to my liver-not the vicodin, but more the tylenol that you take with every pill going into your stomach. bad stuff. I wish you luck, you're in my prayers. P.S.  Get this book "Prescription Drug Abuse-The Hidden Epidemic" by Ron Colvin. It's become my bible
I have gotten in the habbit of depending on vicodin for my good moods, dealing with uncomfortable situations, and for enhancing my fun.  I take as many a day as i need(2-5).  i want to stop and i have tried. But i get the worst feeling of tiredness and feverish feeling that words can not even begin to describe.  I do not have the money nor the insurance to seek professional help and i really do not know what kind to begin to seek if some how i the insurance that i do have would some how cover it.  I am recently married and i will not leave my precious husband for any length of time. I am trying to decide what to do, mean time i will continue in my regular unhealthy routine.  As you offer suggestions please keep in mind i do not do any other kind of drugs such as pot or alchol. i have heard a little about methadone, but i have heard mixed responses. i know i need to make a decision but i can not stand the thought of the tiredness and feverish feelings not even mentioning the ill moods and crazy emotions that go along with it atleast the cold turkey ways i have previously tried in the past. I am open to all suggestions.
I too find myself caught up in the addiction.  My life is good, great, but too many migraines and too many doctors willing to write the scripts and I am too willing to cash them in now. I make up stories and aches and pains and have even stolen them from my mother's cupboard.  What can I do to get out of this?  When I try to stop, it is unbelieveably painful.  My muscles and head throb.  I am more than reluctant to involve anyone else in this.  what can I do on my own?  Is there a way to get through this withdrawl at home?  Thanks to anyone who can help
HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR LAST TWO YEARS SINCE A CAR ACCIDENT. YOU CAN DO IT. FOR ME IT DOES TAKE THE PAIN AWAY LIKE NOTHING ELSE . IF YOU REALLY WANT TO QUIT, DON'T HANG WITH PEOPLE WHO STILL TAKE IT. IT ONLY MAKES IT THAT MUCH HARDER.
drugs can stay lodged in the fat cells of the body for years.
you need to do something called the "purification Rundown"
go to a library or book store and pick up the book"Clear mind,Clear body" this will explain how the drugs get stored in the bodies fat cells and ALSO the HANDLE for this. I did that program and feel "CLEAN"
Dear Moon Leaf,

I just ordered that book today
good luck moon this medacine has me by the balls i cant see how im going to stop but at some point i know i have to ill be in your shoes soon your suposed to tapper off . try going down to 4 a day for the first week then 2 a day the second week the forth week only 1/2 tab each day to lessen the opiat recepters in your brain whitch will be screaming at you it easy to say but tapering down is the best way.
I JUST WANT TO SAY BY THE GRACE OF GOD I FOUND THIS WEB SITE AND IT MAY JUST SAVE MY LIFE!! I HAVE SPENT THE LAST 2 1/2 HRS  READING EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT VICODIN ADDICTION AND I HAVE EVEN BEEN CRYING BEACUSE I KNOW NOW THAT IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM!! I TO AM LIKE TERI IM A 33 MOM W/2 KIDS AGES 2 & 6 ALSO A WIFE AND IF I DONT STOP TAKING THIS ****!! (PARDON MY FRENCH) IM GOING TO DIE (THATS HOW I FEEL) NOT ONLY THAT I FEEL LIKE IM LOSING MY KIDS AND MY RELATIONSHIP WITH MY HUSBAND! I HAVE EVERY SYMPTOM HERE DESCRIBED EXCEPT I HAVE NOTICED THAT THERE ARE NOT THAT MANY PEOPLE WHO TAKE AS MANY PILLS AS I DO (WELL MAYBE A FEW) IF I HAVE THE PILLS THATS WHAT I HAVE FOR BREAKFAST (NO KIDDING) DEPENDING HOW MUCH MY BODY HAS BUILT UP TO THEM I MAY GET OUT OF BED GRAB A GLASS OF WATER AND TAKE 10 AT ONCE!! SOMETIMES GAGGING THEM DOWN BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO ME BUT I NEED TO GET HIGH! I HAVE BEEN USING THESE THINGS FOR 4 YRS NOW! I CAN NOT FUNCTION WITH OUT THEM! AFTER I HAVE MY 10 FOR BREAKFAST I MAY HAVE 5 OR 10 MORE BEFORE THE DAY IS THROUGH! I GET MINE THROUGH MY PRIMARY DOCTOR HE LETS ME HAVE 60 LORTAB EVERY 2 WEEKS LIKE CLOCK WORK NEEDLESS TO SAY I CAN GET 60 AND BE OUT IN 4 DAYS! THEN UNTIL ITS TIME FOR MY NEXT REFILL I BUY THEM ON THE STREET SOMETIMES PAYING 3 OR 4 DOLLARS APIECE! ALSO MY HUSBAND TAKE THEM AS WELL (BUT HE DOES NOT HAVE A PROBLEM ACORDING TO HIM YEA RIGHT) WE ALSO HAVE THE SAME DOCTOR I ALSO HAVE LOST ALOT OF WEIGHT IN THE PAST YEAR AND I AM WONDERING IF THIS IS DUE TO MY LIVER GOING BAD FROM ALL THE PILLS? WHAT ARE THE SIGNS THAT YOUR LIVER IS GOING HAYWIRE ON YOU? I DID FINALLY TELL MY MOM ABOUT MY PROBLEM BUT SINCE THEN I HAVE TOLD HER I HAVE STOPPED ALL LIES! I WAS GOING TO GO INTO REHAB BUT I ALSO SMOKECIGS AND AS WE KNOW THAT IS ALSO AN ADDICTION AND THE REHAB PROGRAM I WAS GOING IN DID NOT ALOW CIGS TO BE SMOKED EITHER! (IT WAS A FIVE DAY PROGRAM) SO ITS LIKE GOING IN THERE TO DEAL WITH ONE PROBLEM AND TRYING TO DEAL WITH 2 ADDICTION AT THE SAME TIME! NOT EASY FOR ME TO DO! SO AS OF YET I HAVE NOT WENT BUT I KNOW I NEED TO GO IM VERY SCARED AND FEEL VERY ASHAMED RIGHT NOW IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO GIVE ME THER E-MAIL ADDRESS SO I CAN E-MAIL THEM AND TALK ABOUT MY PROBLEM OR THERES I NEED ALL THE MORAL SUPPORT I CAN GET! IM SCARED IM GOING TO DIE AND I DONT WANT TO DO THAT I WANT TO BE AROUND TO SEE AND ENJOY MY GRAN KIDS! I KNOW WITH MY HUSBAND TAKING THEM ALSO ITS NOT GOING TO BE EASY FOR ME BUT I HAVE TO DO THIS I KNOW IN MY HEART. THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING THIS WEB SITE WHOEVER DID JUST MAY SAVE MY LIFE AND I AM HAPPY TO KNOW IM NOT ALONE ANYMORE! ANY ADVISE WOULD MEAN THE WORLD TO ME!!! THANK YOU MUCH!
I am a regular NA attendant.There is a criteria to follow if you have a substance abuse problem and need to attend a self help 12 step program.If you have a problem with alcohol only or if alcohol is you drug of choice you should attend AA.If you have a problem with narcotics only ,or if your first choice is something other than alcohol, then NA is the only place for you.There are alot of "old timers" in AA that were around before NA was even heard of and they are very protective about keeping a oneness with AA.If you have a narcotic problem and go into an AA meeting and start talking about "Dope" or something not related to alcohol, you might not get a warm responce.If you dont beleive me try it yourself, it wont be very productive.I have attended a few AA meetings in my time, sice they are fundamentally the same, and there is a clause which is verbally spoken, that goes something like "this is a meeting for Alcoholics, who have problems pertaining to alcohol".Just keep in mind that there is a difference.
TO TINY
I am so with you, you can e-mail me at kat_lydic***@****
i am a 27 yr old female and i have hydrocephalus. I have been taking vicodin for my headaches when i get them on occasion. It seems to be the only thing that takes them away. The pain is so intense that once i take it, i try to lay down and go to sleep so i dont know how it feels to function on them while i am awake.
My question is , is there another drug that could take the place of this medicine for my headaches due to the hydrocephalus because i feel like i am a drug addict when i ask my doctor for more of it. But it seems to be the only thing that works.
Can you please help me? thank you
many people in this section are not addicted to many painkillers. my advice is this - if you have been on this stuff for more than a few weeks and it is not working as prescribed - YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE! i think it would be better to switch your med than to increase so your body does not develop a tolerance to it. You may find other narcotics less addicting. I never had a problem with percocet but do have problems with hydrocodone. Of course if you ask a doctor for a different pain killer - they may just label you an addict. Doctors need to understand that everyone is different and sometimes switching the narcotic could save a life. Different bodies, different tolerances. Also, find a good doctor to solve your health problem before your problem takes you. If you are on 4-5 pills a day, you have a good fighting chance to taper off at home. 8-15 pills a day (10 mg/each), I would seek help of an in-patient clinic that gives you meds for withdrawal. Stop taking your meds and as soon as you feel bad, enter yourself to the clinic. You want the meds to work over the worst part of your withdrawal.
From my research, and extensive medical knowledge, the craving
for opiate based drugs never really leaves you. You will get
over the physical addiction, but there are chemicals in your
brain that are permanately altered. This drug, taken in moder-
ation will not harm you or a fetus. The true problem is the
government system that controls even the M.D. s even perscrib-
ing them. The drug will do less harm than alcohol or nicotine!
I am so glad to read about yur experience with vicodin. Iknew it was too good to be true. At first I did not take them but when I begin to hurt real bad I took 2 at one time.  That was the begining of a real good feeling and no  pain.  My doctor replaced it with something else and I am glad he did. I am sure I would have gotten hooked.
Hi. I too am battling an addiction to Vicodin. THey make me feel a wave of euphoria. When I'm having a stressful time at work, I'll pop a vicodin ES and the feeling of anxiety will go away. I only hope I can quit. I'm an alcoholic as well so when I take the pills with a few drinks Im totally medicated. I hope my Dr. doesn't catch on to the fact that I no longer am in any real physical pain.I hope everything is going to be ok.
I am addicted to Vicodin.  I take so many every day.  I hide it from my friends and boyfriend.  They give me the only energy that I have.  I feel like I couldn't go a day without them.  When I go over 4 hours without one, I start getting flu symptoms and my body aches.  I really need an answer.  I want so badly to put this habit away forever, but I just don't seem to be strong enough.  Any suggestions?  Please, at this point, I'll try almost anything.  I know exactly where all of you are coming from.  Let's all work together and maybe this won't be quite as hard.  Thanks for listening.  ????
Melody, I have been right where you are and probably worse.  My girlfriend didn't know, and I went from taking 1-2 vicodin to taking as many as 25 Lorcet (twice the strength of vicodin) a day.  The good news is, you obviously want to stop and that is the first step.  The better news is, life is soooo much better without the drugs (I know because I am clean now).  It's great not having to worry about getting more, taking them every 4 hrs or feeling like ****, lying, hiding, etc.)  Please see my postings above regarding tapering.  You MAY be able to taper.  How many are you taking a day?  For how long at that dosage?  I have tapered by cutting down about 5% every couple days.  You still have minor withdrawal but it is not horrible.  Also, if you can't do it alone, they have outpatient programs that will use a detox drug (such as buprenorphine) which will get you off the pills with almost no discomfort.  As hard as it is, you CAN do it!  Millions have been there and made it through.  I do think you should tell your boyfriend or someone else you can lean on.  It is sooooo hard to get off these things without support.  Trust someone, let them help and you will feel much better because you won't feel so alone.  Remember, friends/boyfriends are there SO you can lean on them (otherwise, why have them?)  You are not alone.  Those of us here will help you with advice/support.  Good luck and please post with any questions (I've been through several types of detoxes, withdrawals, etc. so I know quite a bit about this).  As I have learned the hard way, getting off this stuff is actuall easy (I know it doesn't seem so right now) but STAYING off is the hardest part.  Take care and post again. Brian
YES I AM PRETTY MUCH AN ADDICT ALSO.I HAVE BEEN TAKING VICODIN ES SINCE I BROKE MY WRIST IN THREE DIFFERENT PLACES A YEAR AGO.I WENT FROM REGULAR VICODIN TABS TO ES TO HP(HIGH POTENCY),TAKING UP TO 6 TABS A DAY FOR A YEAR NOW. I STOPPED FOR A WHILE BUT I DID NOT KNOW HOW TO ACT WITHOUT THEM.THAT WAS VERY SCARY FOR ME SO I WENT BACK TO THEM AND I WAS BACK TO FEELING REGULAR AGAIN,NOW THAT IS CRAZY!!!I REALLY HOPE 1 DAY I CAN KICK IT ONCE AND FOR ALL,IM ONLY 25YRS OLD.I DONT KNOW WEATHER TO WEEN MYSELF OFF THEM OR JUST COLD TURKEY IT?I WANT TO ACT REGULAR AROUND PEOPLE WITHOUT DEPENDING ON THESE GUYS.

Your posting hit the nail on the head regarding relapse.  Most people relapse exactly because of wanting to feel "normal" again.  I know that's why I did several times.  All I can say from experience is, the longer you keep taking them, the longer it takes to get back to "normal" off the drugs.  I know it sucks but it can take several months until your brain chemistry returns to normal.  I felt exactly as you did when I stopped and several times I relapsed.  This past time I simply waited out the feeling depressed, anxious, bored, craving, etc. and it DOES go away. Although I am not big on NA (for me personally but I think it is great for most people) the biggest benefit of the meetings in the early stages of recovery are that you get to see and hear real people who have been right where you are but now are 6mths, 1 year, 10 years clean.  By seeing that they are happy and over the effects of their use, it gives you hope and strength to make it.  You have the added benefit of being young (I didn't start trying to quit until 29).  Remember, doing it now will be MUCH easier than later.  The longer you use, the more you lose.  Whether you wean or quit cold is simply a choice, but whatever you do don't choose to continue.  I wish you the best and post again.  Brian
I have just started to feel like vicodin may be a problem.  I have been prescribed vicodin for various infertility operations I have had and really never had too much of a problem throwing whatever I didn't use away.  i am a recovering drug addict and so I was pretty careful.  But this last time I started taking it to help me relax--because it wasn't a street drug and I only took one or two I felt okay.  now I have taken up to 3 or 4 and once my stomach hurt so badly I thought I might have an ulcer.

I have run out of them and my friends have given me them but I know they are aware I am a little out of control.  I don't have anymore and some times I find myself wondering how I can get a hold of them again--I am afraid they will lead me back into using hard drugs because I have seen it happen. hopefully I will be able to get control.
They will definately have you back on street drugs, or have you lying to doctors to get them if you don't stop NOW before it is too late.  Clearly your use of the vicodin has done what it usually does in recovering addicts, triggered the addiction.  It is essential that you stop with the vicodin and start doing recovery activities (i.e. meetings, etc.).  Please don't throw away the progress you made in recovery.
I am a 48 year old good-looking, fun woman.  In 1975, when I was 23 I got hooked on heroin for three years.  I quit cold turkey.  Never did it again.  In 1978, I got married to an alcoholic, got pregnant and started raising my child (eventually had another child 4 years later).  I started smoking pot shortly after my child was born. Did that up until four years ago, when I was 44.  In 1985 I did cocaine for two years.  Realized it was making my life crazy and quit in 1987.  In 1989 did cocaine again for six months.  Stopped cold.  Got a divorce.  Got temporarily reacquainted with my ex and in 1997 I got re-involved with cocaine for a year.  Boy, did that cause havoc on my life again.  All of this former drug addiction was because of two husbands in my life.  Got rid of the husbands and got rid of drug problems.  So I thought.  My current reality:  have been doing narcotic pain meds for past five years.  Have a couple months here and there of sobriety.  And this is with no husband to blame it on.  So, every time I think I am gonna get off, I find another source, this time it was a hysterectomy.  I have a very responsible job as a paralegal for a high-profile medical malpractice lawyer.  I have two kids, now 21 and 16.  I don't get obliterated on the pills, just maintain a mellowness constantly.  THIS SUCKS.  I want to be free from the regular worry of where my next supply will come and taking pills daily.  I have a real script long-standing for Darvon-N 100 - weeny compared to the percocets or vicodins i occasionally get my hands on.  I have a good friend who gets percs for chronic pain.  I don't want anybody to know of my problem.  I pray, but it isn't working.  Please giv me some feedback.
I had the same thing happen to me I took Vicodin after a root canal.. but I had a Seizure cus I od on mine.. it sucked.. I ended up missing a half a year of school.. cus the doctors were trying to find out why I had the seizure.. Well thought I would add my story
I wont tell you that things will be easy. You did not become addicted overnight, and you will need to work on the reasons for the rest of your life. I took 10 times the amount of narcotics that you did. I went into ER's pretending to have all sorts of illnesses that require some sort of narcotic pain relief. I thought I was fooling the doctors, but I soon discovered that I was the one being a fool. I almost killed myself by slowly killing my liver. I needed help and I found it in NA "yep a 12 step program". If you would be true to yourself, and You want the best thing for your new husband & future child, find some form of support for yourself. It takes about a year to overcome the cravings for Opioide Drugs. I have read your reply's and They are correct in saying that withdrawl is difficult, and you sometimes need help to get through it. Don't try this alone. There are others like you. One day at a time...
I am also addicted to Vicodin.  I actually 1st used Vicodin after a c-section 8 years ago.  I did not come across it again for about 5 years.  Now in order to feel "good" I have to take a minimum of 4 es vicodin a day.  That just maintains me from getting the achey feeling.  I also want to stop, but only make it a couple of days.  It is so easy to get them sometimes and difficult other times.  I've battled with addiction my whole life and have been to rehab for other drugs.  I have a wonderful family and on the outside seem to be an ok person.  Inside though I have this war going on inside me.
David B is absolutely right.  You need help and you don't need to do this alone.  See if you can find an outpatient detox program so you won't miss time from work and your employer won't know.  Get involved with NA so you won't simply detox and do what a lot of us made the mistake of doing--getting clean and thinking that was the hard part.  It isn't.  The hard part is STAYING clean, and the only way I know that works for most people is through a 12 step program where you keep your addiction in the forefront of your mind.  Otherwise, life will be brief periods of sobriety between your active addiction. A very sad way to live!
I know what you mean about the war inside.  That's why once you get in recovery they tell you you need to SURRENDER.  There is no fighting back against addiction.  You simply surrender to it, admit you can't beat it or cure it, and commit to staying abstinent as the ONLY means to keep it from consuming you.  I was once taking "only" 3 pills a day and using it as my "reward."  Then I needed them to not feel like ****.  Eventually I ended up taking 20-25 Lorcet (10mg hydrocodone) a day just to feel "normal."  Later it was 250mg or so of oxycontin a day!  So, the moral is...deal with it NOW while you just have a monkey on your back.  If you wait, everyone's monkey grows into a huge gorilla.  I was taking so many opiates that the detox with buprenorphine the last time didn't work at all.  Boy was I scared then.  I hope you commit to dealing with this before you go through the hell I went through.  Brian
I hope to catch your attention to the previous message.
I'am addictied to Vicodin right now! I want to quit but I can't!! I go to all different types of hospitals pretending to be in pain when I'm really not! How can I stop myself from doing this??? I read moon leafs Post, I learned that I much worse off then her as I can take 10-12 Extra stengh's Boy I know i need help!!!! If  you have any suggestions please E-mail me at
***@****
Thank you,
Shaylie
South Bend, Indiana
This is for Sweetlin46,

I too have had a similar history. All my life, from 19 onward I used drugs or drank on and off for almost 30 years. I started with pot and LSD and progressed to Meth and Heroin in my twenties. I was always able to stop without much difficulty but usually went on to something else down the road, with the same excessive enthusiasm. Yet, I still managed to have another so-called "normal" life as well, with many opportunities and blessings. I had a loving family, I had a beautiful daughter, I had an education, hobbies, interests and travel. My relationships with men were not healthy but I managed to maintain a few very good friends who cared about me and still do. When I got into my forties I began to take codeine for various ailments and also I began to drink more frequently. I also became addicted to Ativan.I found that the combination gave a delightful sense of well being, confidence and pleasure. To make a long story short, I became my own worst nightmare- a pill popping, alcoholic, middle class housewife from suburbia. I helped myself to other peoples medicine cabinets and bought my codeine from a suburban dealer as well as conning my own physician for prescriptions. I became very secretive and ashamed. I became worried about my liver and whether I would accidently kill myself. I began thinking that death might be preferable to this agony. My doctor told me my liver enzymes were elevated. So finally after about 5 years of this downward spiral ( fortunately my daughter had left home to be on her own ) I had had enough. This was no longer fun, though the nature of addiction is that you can't stop. Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result. I had become insane. I am in a 12 step group now and my life is fuller and happier than it has been in years-maybe than it ever was. Everything I enjoyed before is doubled  because I am no longer a slave to drugs or alcohol. All my relationships have improved, especially with the Big Guy above. I have been clean and sober for 21/2 years and I am going to be a grandmother this summer! Now, I will be totally present for life-with all its ups and downs. Hang in there and keep in touch if you can- go to any lengths to find your sobriety. It isn't easy - nothing worthwhile ever is but it's a challenge. My email address if you wish to talk is ***@****
I have been taking vicodin for the past eleven years.  I have been on and off during that time.  I was injured in a car accident with several fractures and siacti nerve damage. I take 4-5 vicodins a day.  I want to stop taking them on my own how would i tapered off and how long would it take for the drug to be out of my system?
holy cow we all hurt...but what is worse a life of pain or a life of pain.  I have been addicted to everything...you name it...coke, scripts, booze, food, gambleing, sex...the list goes on and on.  I have come to terms with my problems by remembering everything is good in moderation, but even too much of a good thing is very, very bad.  If these things hurt you or make you feel bad, you should give them up.  I know it is not that simple...but try looking at the better things in life like...kittens, or sunsets, or children, or the top of the statue of liberty.  and even better being able to remember these things and sharing them with loved ones for years to come.  for all of us with problems, there IS something better...but it is just hard to find...you have to look for it, it won't come looking for you.....................................................
I HAVE BEEN TAKING VICODIN ES FOR ABOUT A YEAR & 6 MONTHS.THEY FEEL SO GOOD.BUT ITS TO THE POINT THAT I HAVE TO TAKE THEM. I WANT TO STOP SO BAD.THE LAST 10 MONTHS IM UP TO 23 A DAY. NOBODY KNOWS BUT SOME OF MY FRIENDS SAY I LOOK LIKE **** SOME DAYS.THAT IS NOT ME.I HAVE NO MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING.THAT IS THE ONLY DRUG I EVER DID..MY QUESTION IS- CAN YOU STOP-.....I TRY ALL THE TIME...                                

THANKS.
CAN you stop?  Of course.  Will it be easy, no.  How can you stop?  At your level I would suggest finding a program, either inpatient or outpatient.  You need a structured program with a detox.  Good luck.
I AM AT HOMR RIGHTNOW DETOXING! I AM IN MY 36TH HOUR. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE AN OUTPATIENT COUNSELOR ON MONDAY 1230. ON MY LAST ESCAPADE TWO NIGHTS AGO, I TOOK 20 VICOPROFEN. WOW! I KNEW THAT I COULD TAKE MYSELF TO THIS LEVEL BECAUSE THE LADY THAT RAISED ME DOES IT EVERY DAY, AND HAS BEEN FOR 10 YEARS. WOW!
I AM FINISHED TAKING THIS LIFE SUCKING, DREAM CRUSHING, HIDE BEHIND YOUR TRUE FEELINGS TRASH. 2 YRS. AGO I WAS WORKING OUT WITH A PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYER 6 DAYS A WEEK, AND NOW I AM RECOVERING FROM SMOKING 1 PACK OF SMOKES A DAY, ATLEAST AN AVERAGE OF 13 VICODINS PER DAY. 3 CUPS OF COFFEE, AND NOT EATING WELL AT ALL! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM OTHERS ABOUT MY PROBLEM.
                                         ZORRO
Thank you for a great inspirational post.
I am 35 weeks pregnant and on Vicodin 10mg.  I only take 1 a day for migraines but I am afraid the baby will be addicted when it is born.  Has anyone had a baby while taking this drug that can tell me if it will give my baby withdrawal symptoms?  How did your baby turn out?  Please write me at ***@****
I speak from experiance when I say "do not underestimate this addiction".I did and it cost me most everything I held dear to me. Mine history was one of back surgeries and chronic pain. For me the process of healing did not start until
1) I hit a bottom so low I wanted to die
2) I went into an in-patient program in CA
3) I ADMITTED I WAS AN ADDICT
4) I recognized my past addictive behaviors, pot, coke, sex,work, etc.
5) I was educated through Cognitive Thinking why and what I was avoiding.Why I did not want to face life and reality
6) I found a faith in a higher power. For me this was God and Jesus Christ. For others it may be anything they find inspiration in.
7) I learned how to forgive myself, this took unhealthy guilt out of my life.
8) I sought out information on non narcotic preventice medicines
9) I sought out ,found, and stay in touch with support groups such as Narcotics Anonymous.I realized that a drug is a drug. Addiction to Vicodin is as bad as addiction to pot, heroin or coke. The choice of drug is the only differance.
Sorry to ramble on, May 16th, 2000 will be one year for me with no pain meds. It has been extremly painful at times. But life on life terms in the realm of reality is great. Don't forget there are two types of addiction. Both physical and mental. Just because you conquer one, doesn't mean you have the other one under control. Humble yourself, educate yourself, get support and forgive yourself. As I do at every NA meeting, my prayers are with you
Why are you taking a narcotic for migraines when the current medical protocol for people who aren't pregnant is not to use narcotics but to use something like Zomig or Imitrex?  Further, especially for someone who is pregnant narcotics are not indicated.  I suspect your doctor is not aware you are using the hydrocodone.  You need to inform your OB immediately and get medical advice on what to do.  You also should seek treatment for what is clearly a drug problem you appear to be in denial about.
KK
i am also supremely addicted to this drug, vicodin es tablets. I started taking them for shingles about 3 years ago and then got them by prescription many times in the following years. I have since started getting them any way I can. I am taking 3-4 pills each at a time every 4-6 hours per day. I awaken feeling horrible. My body goes into immediate withdrawls every morning until I take my pills. I have tried going cold turkey, but the physical, emotional and mental pain are too much for me. My husband used to partake with me, but realized that it was going to far around christmas 1999 and recently, he thinks I stopped. I hide the pills wherever I think he won't find them and I am in constant fear of bring caught by him. It's happened several times. But not since I pretended to withdraw one weekend not too long ago. I am becoming more and more afraid and addicted as each day passes. I am up to 12-15 pills per day and I don't even get a real "high" anymore. I don't know what to do. I'm scared. I went to an NA meeting about a month ago and heard all the horror stories and it abviously didn't scare me enough. I see my life falling apart and i can only imagine it's because I am where I am today. Please reply if you can help.
I think you need to tell your husband and ask for his support.  Next you should find a program that will detox you either inpatient or outpatient, preferably using buprenorphine.  Finally, follow the detox by attending NA on a regular basis.  It is your best chance of staying off the drugs.  Although it doesn't seem like it now, detox is the easy part--staying clean is the hard part.  Good luck.
i love vicodins!i am a hairdresser and i enjoy taking them they make me happy and i can endure alotat work!i am just worried now when i get off them if i can still maintain my bust schedual at work!i do not smoke pot or take any other drugs! i heard valiums are the best way to get off of vicodins and are not addicting at all when i try to get off them i experience flu like symptoms and a severe headache and i do not wish to speak or talk to anyone!but again i do love them! i know a good way to relax getting off vicodine chamomile tea is excellant!it is very soothing!jackie
I took vicodin for years for severe headache and back pain, still do, It helps me get thru life without pain, nothing else did or does!! Hate to say it but if I have to be I will be on these forever, they take my pain away, and if you take them as needed for pain,and don't abuse them, they really do help, I dont even feel the effect of the drug anymore, the feelin' of being High, It just takes the pain away and thats what all the other medications didnt!

With much pain and depression I've just admitted to myself that I'm addicted to Lortab/hydrocone, taking 4-5 7.5mg a day for several months. With much effort I've kept it down, could easily be taking more. The results: I'm a total pain to live with, I think my body is craving more. I had neck fusion surgery 5 weeks ago, still feeling so much pain ! My biggest fear, besides the withdrawls, is coping with the pain. It's excruciating. I'm confused, is some of the pain I'm feeling drug related, am I making excuses for the addiction by masking it with the fact that I need something for pain ? Single Mom with a wonderful child, I am a wonderful Mom for the most part, except for my mood swings. I know it confuses my teen and I cannot bear for him to know, or anyone else. I divorced his father because he was a cocaine addict !!! How ironic... I was the epitome of health, never believed in any junk for my body, not even caffeine until I started suffering with chronic pain. Now look at me ! So embarrassed, depressed. I'm going to try to taper off but when I do I feel so sick and I can't sleep with anxiousness, which right now I need for the healing. Should I wait to heal more before I get off of them? My son is leaving in June for a few weeks, I am leaning towards going cold turkey at that time so he doesn't have to be a part of it. Will ask my Doctor on my follow-up in 2 weeks what he thinks, have a feeling he will not be concerned,  maybe I can ask for clonidine or buprenorphine. My question: Has anyone tried homeopathic, or alternative modalities such as therapeutic touch or Trager work for relaxation ? I have an appointment with a trager therapist this week mostly for the pain aspects, I figure if I can get that under control and employ some relaxation modalities it might help.
My heart and prayers go out to all of you. I feel your pain.
God has been my biggest strength, as well as the love for my child, and myself... I want to be healed in everyway...I wish the same for you all.

Love and peace,

M : )
Vicodin(lortab,hydro.) are weak painkillers. Oxycodone, morphine, hydromorphone, demerol,etc. are more effective in relieving severe pain
i was prescribed vicodin es for pain after getting my wisdom teeth removed. after a few days, i kept taking them even though the pain had basically stopped because they were fun. i took 2 at a time, then 3 one time. but i found that they prevented me from performing sexually so i stopped, but now im in pain again because i have a dry socket. i just recently quit somking and i occasionally smoke weed and take ecstacy and i know i am capaple of becoming addicted to things. i want to know if i should take more vicodin for the pain or if i should try to use something else because of the possibility of becoming addicted.
I am now 18 years old and was addicted to Vicodin since I was 14 until I was 17.  It did always make me happy, however I could never smoke marijuana, as that made me nervous.  I finally got help getting off the Vicodin, when my Mother found out.  I went to Cedar Vista Psychiatric Hospital.  It took several weeks of Methadone treatment.  Now I am back to myself again.  I took half a Vicodin for a severe headache a couple weeks ago and it made me nauseous.  Only when I was addicted to it, I would take around 7 Vicodin e.s. 3 times a day.  If I could get through it, I have faith that you can as well.  I hope I have helped you somewhat.  STAY STRONG!!!
Dearest Moonleaf,
     I too am batteling the problem with Vicodin it makes me feel calm energetic and happy all at the same time. its simular to taking a diet pill a xanex and a prozac all in one. my solution to the problem has been to turn to God and pray about it and the battle will seem easier .in the meantime my present situation is a fabulous new diet pill that I dont know the name of and xanex.But this is another phase of my battle.im not sure what the answer is.in my situation it seems to be a vicious circle. I suppose as everyone else im trying to achieve the goal of eternal happiness.thats why I have to live one day at a time and keep God in my heart and let him steer me.

Pray

HI MY NAME IS CARL, AND IM ADDICTED TO VICODIN.I USED TO TAKE 3-5 HP'S A DAY THEN WENT TO6-8 ES'S PER DAY.NOW IM UP TO 6-8 REGULAR STRENGTH PER DAY. I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW TO WIEN MYSELF OFF OR TO JUST QUIT COLD TURKEY ,BECAUSE I DONT EVN KNOW HOW TO ACT WITHOUT THESE LITTLE DEVILS.
Try tapering if you have the willpower.  It will lessen the amount of withdrawal.  The general way to taper is to reduce the amount you are taking by about 5-10% every few days.  So, if you're taking 8 per day, take 7.5 per day for a few days, then 7 per day, etc.  Divide the dosage as you usually would.  Since you gradually decline the dosage, your body gets used to the lesser dosage.  At the end of the taper, you may feel some anxiety and mild withdrawal symptoms.  They are far less than cold turkey.  The key to a taper is willpower.  You don't get high during a taper, and you may feel mildly down or not feeling so great.  You just have to stick with it and resist the impulse to take more pills.  If you have someone you trust to administer the pills it will work much easier and better.  If not, try to hang tough.  Good luck.
When addicted the best way to get drug free is to find out what the real root of your unhappiness is.  Life is to short to stumble through in a drug induced stupor.  Even if you feel in control while using your really only a shell of the person God intended you to be.  If you want to stop have some backbone and just don't use.
Tiny, if you read this please e-mail me at ***@****
as I have a duel addiction 1. Vicoden ES 2. Soma
bob
i knoe how all you peepo feel becuz i've juss started it like a week ago and like it feels great!! i dun think you peepo should stop..juss keep doin it cuz it's great! i love it! well i think imma be like you peepo ill quit in 5 years but i juss can't believe you peepo could stop well imma get some of my frends to do it too since it so freakin great i love it!! you should try it!!
bob
started on vicodin after back surgery,this was two years ago, still taking 3 or 4 or less a day of extra strength.  
The doctor is starting to be careful about giving me too much, gives me 50 for one month,have been running out a week or two early.  Probably excercise would do me as much good as pain killers but would be much more work for me. That's all I will write for now.
My husband has had a VERY bad back for years (four herniated discs). a year ago we were in a car accident with this typical 'road rage animal' and my husband hurt the disc's in his neck- he was in constant pain and couldn't think straight on the job because he was always in a constant state of pain. he'd already been on vicodin for his back so when his neck wasn't responding to physical therapy the doctors again renewed his script for vicodin. I always knew he needed the meds to help him survive his long days of hard work; but I never dreamed that one day out of the blue he would become a totally different person. I am absolutely convinced that his need for this drug on a day to day basis is whats making this change in him. Last November he had the 'cage' put into his neck; it was an awful time for us/ he is just 40 years old and was really re-evaluating all aspects of his life. I felt the same fear and termoil and was scared to death of where our future would take us---I never dreamed that he would all of a sudden decide to walk away from myself and our 2 children (12 & 15)---this is a man who has ALWAYS put his family first and things he is going are so out of character for him (with everyone he see's not just us)  I hope to God that we can show him what these meds are doing to ALL of our lives and change the direction this course is bringing us all down before it's too late to go back to all the love we all feel for him............
It may be the pain as much as the drugs causing his personality to change.  He may need to be treated by a pain clinic where they can try things such as antidepressants in addition to his narcotic pain medicine.  Hope things get better for you.
I thought of trying it just for jun and wanted info on it I have it already but was not certain of its effects and side effects.  Now I m donot know
i feel your pain.i myself am a helpless victim of these narcotics.i have been in rehab twice,and both times of failed.i yself smoke pot and drink.i even use other drugs on occasion,but it is the percocets,vicodins,loricets and oxycontins that i stick with.i was up to eating 15 percs a night.i could easly take a script of 30 vicodin extra strength in a matter of under two days.it seems as if these disease is uncureable.i must say that attending a rehab will ease the withdrawl pain via the use of methadone,fenabarbitol(im not sure on the spelling)and trazapam.darvocet is used to help alleviate the pain.if you are mentally ready,then rehab if the place for you.they will provide you with the help to detox(you might be able to attend an outpatient rehab because yor doseage is still low.)handle this problem before it becomes any wore.good luck.
Stay away from it.  You may or may not open up the door to hell.  Why take a chance?
Iam extremely addicted to Vicodin. I take up to 15 Vicodin ES a day. So I definatly understand what your going through. I want so bad to quit, but I love how they make me feel. Just turn to God and everything will work out.
i am a vicodin addicte. vicodin is my life... it makes me fell like normal when i am on vicodin.. But when i am not on  vicodin i feeel out of place and usually keeep to my self... sometimes i feel like the drug messes up my mind but i feel if i get off it i wont be able to be my self....
All of us felt the same way during our use.  The reason you don't feel yourself when you are off it for a short period is because of withdrawal or depression triggered by withdrawal.  Once your body has enough time off the drug, you will feel normal.  Believe me, I've been there enough times to know this is true.  Furthermore, millions wouldn't have quit if they didn't eventually feel better.  If I didn't feel better eventually I would have gone back to the opiates.  Try to quit and hang in there.  NA helps because you are around people who understand and can tell you and show you that there is life after opiates (and a far better life it is).  Good luck.
It has been a long while since I last visited this site. I came back and was amazed at how many people are going through, or have gone through much the same as myself. As I read through the many e-mails prompted by my first message, I cried like there was no tomorrow. Honestly, I can still cry just by typing these words. I relapsed, and as my counselor explained, it was inevitable that I would. It began with being prescribed a replacement, non-narcotic "Ultram" which as we've learned by way of previous messages in this threaded forum, is just as addictive as Vicodin and possibly more because you tell yourself, "oh, but it's a non-narcotic..." This drug sent me back to Vicodin and even more frightening is that this drug is so new that it's effects on the body we're still not sure of. Any of us who have an addicitive personality must consider our reasoning behind taking any medication - what are we really taking it for? Chances are it's for the wrong reasons and we're sending ourselves back to hell. I had to face my relapse when I found out I was pregnant. Now at 10 weeks I really scare myself by considering that maybe my baby will be born with an abnormality. I pray to God this is not the case. There were several weeks that I didn't know I was pregnant and I was using the Ultram, then the Vicodin. I read in one of the messages in here that Vicodin will not cause harm to the fetus, does anyone have further information on this? (I would be so appreciative to gain any knowledge in this arena).
It was even harder to quit the second-time around because I was so disgusted with myself that after all I had been through previously, I still just put myself right back into that situation, and now there was a baby to consider, not just me. Sometimes I wish that I hadn't let it get out of control and instead of casual drinking at parties, or special occassions, was able to take one Vicodin instead and enjoy it's relaxing effects. But, I abused it and now any thought of "recreational use" is out. Once you let a drug like this into your life the way I did, the way many of us have, nothing is ever quite the same. As someone said in here, your brain chemistry is forever altered. I told myself, "one last time," but it was that "one last time" that led to several weeks. The longer you stay with it, the harder the "come-down," but the thing is, you do get through it. You will get through it. The depression, the moodiness, the craving for the euphoric-like feeling will subside and you will again find happiness in who you really are...without the narcotic. It is so hard to break this habit, this I know just as well as any of you, but life is so much easier when you depend only on "you," not the Vicodin. The heart of quiting is gaining your self-respect. It's undeniably what creates our self-esteem.

I still - and probably always will - honestly say that I too love the way it makes me feel. But, what I don't love is the depression, the regret, the feeling of being a low-life, druggie. The self-loathing, the disrespect you feel for yourself, the anger the emotional roller coasters, the fighting that it caused between my husband and I because I was feeling bad about myself and the secret I was hiding from him, it's just never worth it in the end. Each time you go back to it, it's more and more difficult to break the cycle. If I could give advice to any of you it would be to just get through "day one," then "day two," then "day three," just take it day-by-day. After the withdrawals diminish there will come a night when you lay your head down and you will recognize a happier feeling that comes from not having popped that pill; you'll take a deep breath and you'll feel healthy, clean. It's hard, don't get me wrong. I know so well just how hard. The tears, the grief, because when you stop you're really grieving for your best friend, Vicodin. You're letting it go, the one thing that made everything seem more fun. But, again, the roller coaster that we all go through when we come down is so difficult, it's just not worth it. It's my belief and from what doctors have told me that in 7-10 days the chemicals will be out of your sytem and you'll get a grip on the physical symptons, the rest - the emotional aspects - are dealt with by simply finding things to fill your time with. Happier things, more positive things. Movies are a great pacifier, or bead a necklace, paint, write, garden, yoga, long walks, anything to keep your mind busy. But, no matter what, the one thing that should keep you "clean" is the way you feel when you "are" clean. You breathe deeper, you have greater self-esteem, you feel like you're an honest person again. No false pretenses, no more hiding, no more secrets, this is you, take it or leave it. You can look around and see people who go through life doing drugs and man is it a tough road, but you also look around and see people who don't do drugs and I don't know about you guys, but I would always think to myself, "they don't need a pill to get through their day," a lot of people don't and that's what I want to be...a "normal" person. When I cry I want to know it's valid, not because I'm on drugs. We think we feel when we're taking Vicodin, but we're not feeling, we're knumb and that' s no way to move yourself through life. Life is hard enough sometimes without adding to it an addiciton.
You know, we're all stronger for having gone through this, it just sucks that we're the kind of people that have to hit rock-bottom before we surface.
My love and strength to all of you; to all of us. I like the exchange that's happening here and I think for a long while I will always return to this. Don't any of you ever wish Oprah or The View would do a segment on prescription drug addiciton. It's especially interesting to me when it involves women/mothers. After reading through these messages there are a lot of women who fight this problem (not to knock the importance of the issue as it relates to men as this addiction to Vicodin is difficult for anyone, male or female).
Again, any information on interaction of Vicodin with an unborn fetus would be much appreciated.

Keep on counting those days. I am.
MoonLeaf

Does anyone have any information on interaction of Vicodin with an unborn fetus. Can it cause deformities?
Are you two the same person?  MoonLeaf, all I can say is WOW.  What a moving, fantastic post.  Thank you for sharing your struggle and rebirth.  I have some good news for you and Firefly.  The hydrocodone will not cause deformity or other serious effects on your child to be (and congratulations!!). Just keep yourself healthy physically and mentally and all will be well with the baby. Take care and best wishes. Brian
My uncle is atticted to vicodin and he gets really scarry when he od's. He once walked around the house with two diffrent shoes on and was falling all over. It scarry and I'm glad to know hes not the only one. Mabey you should all get help together. I hope for the best!
I WAS IN A CAR WRECK NOT MY FAULT, 2 YEARS AGO , I NEVER TOUCHED MEDS, NOT EVEN SINUS MEDS. NOW I TAKE 19 VICODENS OR ANY OTHER PAIN MEDS, I CAN GET, ITS KILLING ME WHEN IM OFF I AM SO TIRED, PLEASE HELP I SPEND SO MUCH MONEY FOR MY FIXES,HELP
Dear Yvonne:

Were you taking Vicodin while pregnant? I would like to know if anyone knows the effects of 4-5 Vicodin per day on an unborn fetus? I was addicted for the first 3 months of my pregnancy. Can it cause birth deformities?

To "Another Addicte" On Friday March 03, 2000

Can you tell me more information on the usage of Vicodin during pregnancy. I have been taking 4 to 5 regular strength for nearly the first 3 months of my pregnancy...off and on. I am tapering now and still trying very, very hard to ignore the cravings. No matter how important this baby, my addiction is so strong. I am so ashamed. I never thought I'd begin this next phase of life as being this type of person. I am so worried that my baby will be deformed. Do you have any insight into this subject?

Thank you,
Sienna Vee
It is VERY important that you reveal this information to your OB/GYN.  He or she will be able to help you get off the narcotic with as little risk to the fetus as possible.  It is very unlikely your use will cause deformity, but continued use during the remainder of your pregnancy may cause harm to the fetus in other ways.  PLEASE speak to your doctor ASAP.
as to the previous response which is in error, vicodin is not codeine based it is hydrocodone based hydrocodone is nothing like codeine they are similar in a way but very different in the ways that are noticable matter and make a difference.
I had been addicted to Vicodin ES for about 15 months. Eight days ago, I underwent Neuro regulation otherwise known as Rapid detox. When you wake up from the general anasthesia that is given you are no longer considered addicted; mind you, that is physically addicted. It costs 8,800 and 36 hours in the CCU dept of a hospital which offers this type of treatment. The procedure is painless, but may feel like the flu for a few days afterwards. Naltrexone AKA Revia is given for an eight to nine month course.  Caution however!!!!  I had experienced many traumatic events in my life, was hospitalized more than I would like to think about for depression, suicidal ideations etc.  When I started taking the Vicodin all of these issues resolved. I wasn't even needing to take any other meds, not hospitalized, sociable, basically felt on top of the world. Not to be discouraging by any means but what has happened is that now that the Vicodin has been taken away by my own doing. Suicide is once again the main focus!!!!  I am finding it extremely difficult to even stay alive after taking the Vicodin away from myself. So, I am also hurting and I wish for your hurting to end. I, myself, being a medical professional have a hard time trading a drug for a drug meaning psychiatric medication versus taking the Vicodin when the psychiatric medication never produced much benefit in the first place.  So for me my choice is suicide or take Vicodin
There is such a thing as being opiate deficient but unfortunantly there hasn't been enough study on the subject as far as I know. I started on Vicodin ES due to pain myself so I undrstand where you are coming from and wish the best for everyone who has replied. But for me, I believe that my end result will be my demise.  Good luck to all of you.  It took alot of courage to admit that you had a problem with something and share it with others. It has also helped me to hear that I am not alone.  G-d Bless!!!
I know you are going through a rough time, but you must confide in your physicians about your suicidal ideation.  PLEASE let them know what you are going through so they can help.  Your underlying depression is being magnified by the rapid withdrawal of the opiates.  It will improve as time goes on, although it sounds like you will have depression and perhaps other disorders to deal with.  I'm not sure there is such a thing as being opiate deficient; however, there are clinical studies showing opiates are an effective antidepressant for some people that don't respond to the usual medications.  In fact, opiates were prescribed for depression until I believe the 1960's.  Good luck to you.
Vicodin CAN be a dangerous drug to stop. You go through withdrawls unlike marijuana. 3-4 extra strength vicodins is not a large amount to be taking. I have been taking them for 3 years and have taken up to 14 a day of the ES'. I wouldnt be worrying about having severe withdrawl symptoms with the amount you are taking. However, since you have been taking them for awhile, there might be mild symptoms. Chills, sweats, achy body, flu like symptoms. I had these once for a few days and a few days later I felt ALMOST back to my normal self. For some people it takes weeks. I have heard that pot can stay in your fatty cells for up to 14 years after you stop smoking it. Dont quote me on that because it was a few years ago I heard it. But it most certainly wont hurt your fetus if you quit now and get pg after about a month. Pot stays in your system from 3 days up to 30 days. Depending on how much you smoke. Im sure you are already on your way to being healthy again and maybe pregnant (hopefully) so good luck to you and your new family.
I have just been put on vicodin, today. I am experiencing the shakes and sweats is this normal?
HI THERE MOON LEAF,
YUP, VICODIN AND VICODIN ES GOT ME TOO. I WAS UP TO 17 PILLS A DAY FOR A WHILE (JUST LIKE JERRY LEWIS) UNTIL ANXIETY GOT THE BEST OF ME. I THOUGHT I WAS OUT OF MY MIND,PARANOID, READY TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK OR EVEN A STROKE COULD HIT AT ANY SECOND. YOU GET PARANOID WHEN YOU TAKE IT FOR SO LONG. I FINALLY GOT OFF THE STUFF. IT TOOK ME THREE TRIES BUT THE LAST ONE DID IT. I WOULD KID MYSELF. I WOULD STOP FOR 5 DAYS THEN GO BACK AND ONLY TAKE 2-4 BUT INEVITABLY I WAS BACK UP TO 8 BEFORE I KNEW IT. THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO: STOP GRADUALLY. 5,4,3,2,2,1,1,1. IT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN BUT IT IS HARD. LATER IN THE DAY YOU WANT MORE. THE GOOD NEW IS THAT THE PHYSICAL PART IS EASIER THAN THE MENTAL PART. YOU WILL FEEL WITHDRAWAL. THE SECOND DAY WITHOUT PILLS IS THE WORST. FIRST AGITATION, CONSTANT FEELING OF IRRITABILITY AND FEELING EDGY.ALMOST, NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO WITH YOURSELF. VOMITING, DRY VOMITING, SHAKING, CRYING, ROCKING,FATIGUE, LEGS AND HANDS SWOLEN. THIS STUFF GOT THE BEST OF MY MIND TOO, I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE HOW DEPRESSED IT WAS MAKING ME. CRAZINESS, STRANGE THOUGHTS, NO PATIENTS, ECT...THE GOOD FEELING AND CONFIDENCE WASN'T THERE ANYMORE WHEN I POPPED 3-4. THEY STOPPED WORKING AND MADE ME NUTS. BUT I COULDN'T STOP. FINALLY I SAID. I WILL DIE IF I KEEP THIS UP AND I HAVE EVERYTHING TO LIVE FOR. BY THE 5TH DAY OF VICODIN FREE THE SYMPTOMS START TO WEAR OFF. NOW THE HARD PART. DO NOT GO FOR THAT BOTTLE. GET THEM ALL, FLUSH THEM, AND DON'T CALL THE DOCTOR FOR MORE. IT IS A REAL TEMPTATION WHEN SEVERAL WEEKS PASS. YOU FIGURE YOU ARE RIPE FOR A PERSCRIPTION AND THE DOCTOR WON'T SUSPECT A THING. I WAS VERY VERY GOOD AT PLAYING THE DOCTOR JUMPING GAME. BE STRONG, YOU WILL DO IT. IF NOT THE FIRST TIME, THEN THE ONE AFTER. I WENT TO THE DOCTOR FOR HELP. EMBARRASSED, YES!!!!!!!!BUT GUESS WHAT, HE REALLY WANTED TO HELP.WE ARE EMBARRASSED FOR OURSELVES, THAT IS THE WORST PUNISHMENT OF ALL TO US.HE DID A KIDNEY AND LIVER FUNCTION BLOOD TEST AND ALL WAS WORKING WELL, EVEN AFTER TAKING THIS STUFF IN LARGE AMOUNTS FOR ALMOST 3 YEARS STAIGHT!!! THANK G-D. THEN HE HAD ME COME DOWN SLOWLY OFF THE PILLS. BELIEVE ME THE TEMPTATION WAS THERE TO POP A FEW MORE. GUESS WHAT? I DIDN'T MAKE IT THAT TIME AND WENT RIGHT BACK. THE NEXT TIME I QUIT COLD TURKEY, DUMB BUT IT WORKED. MY BODY WAS NOT TOO BADLY AFFECTED BECAUSE I HAD GONE THROUGH THE BIG WITHDRAWAL 3 WEEKS BEFORE. THIS WAS MUCH LESS OF A SHOCK TO MY BODY. 4 DAYS NOT TOO BAD AND BY THE 5TH DAY A AOKAY. NO VOMITING OR SHAKES THIS TIME, JUST AGITIATION AND A FEELING OF I AM GOING TO DIE. IT IS OVER NOW. THE DOCTOR SAYS THAT THIS STUFF, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU TAKE IS OUT OF YOUR BODY IN 1-2 WEEKS. AND, YOUR BODY IS AMAZING, IT IS PERFECTLY NORMAL AS IF YOU NEVER TOOK A PILL IN YOUR LIFE!!!!!CLEAN AND PURE. FOR YOU 10 DAYS SHOULD DO. ALL THE CHEMICALS WILL BE OUT. THE POT IS IN YOUR BODY FOR 1 MONTH SO DO NOT TRY AND CONCEIVE BEFORE THEN. THIS IS MY ADVISE TO YOU-A MOTHER TO A POTENTIAL MOTHER. THINK ABOUT THAT BEAUTIFUL, HEALTHY BUNDLE OF JOY THAT YOU WILL HOLD SOMEDAY SOON. THAT WILL KEEP YOU OFF THE STUFF. IF IT DOESN'T BECAUSE YOU WILL JUSTIFY, WELL ONLY 2 WEEKS BEFORE I HAVE TO STOP BEFORE CONCEIVING AND THEN I WON'T TAKE ANYTHING DURING MY PREGNANCY, RIGHT? NO, NO. NO. STAY OFF THIS STUFF AND POT FOR 2 MONTHS BEFORE YOU MAKE THAT BABY. TAKE FOLIC ACID EVERYDAY AND A PRE-NATAL VITAMIN FOR 2 MONTHS. THIS WILL COMFORT THE PILL POP FEELING EVERYDAY. THE BIG THING IS TO CHANGE YOUR HABIT AND LIFESTYLE JUST A BIT SO TO FORGET WHAT YOU ARE SO COMFORTABLE DOING. I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AND I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK AND STRENGHTH. IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN. I KNOW YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL. KEEP ME POSTED. REMEMBER THAT BABY EVERY SECOND YOU ARE WITHDRAWING AND THE MINUTE YOU WANT TO POP THAT PILL, IT ISN'T WORTH SEEING YOUR BABY ALL MESSED UP, BLIND, WITHOUT A LIMB OR SEVERE RETARDATION IF YOU POP THAT PILL FOR A QUICK HIGH THAT ISN'T EVEN THERE ANYMORE. AND AFTER THAT BABY COMES, YOU NEED TO BE SURE NOT TO RESTART YOUR BAD HABITS. BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO NEW MOMS WHO WANT A QUICK HIGH. I HEARD OF ONE STORY THAT WOULD MAKE YOU SICK. DON'T MAKE ME TELL YOU. BEST REGARDS,HELPING HAND
I've been adicted to vicodin for the past two years, up to last week I was taking up to four ES vocodin a day, I had lower back surgery six months ago, and vicodin is my eazy way out for pain free, Im very adicted fisical and emitional to this drug, I have withdraws for up to four days, I can't eat well, I seam to sleep a lot during the day, all my pain comes back and it fells ike weaking up after a long time and reality faces you know.
Damn..all u people that quit VICODIN, are losers...this **** makes u feel good...whatever feels good you know
I LOVE VICODIN ITS GREAT
hi I am taking vicodin on a daily basis for sciatica and I hate it. I can't take the pain and I hate living on pain pills. But for now that is all I have until something can be done to cure me. I am addicted and don't want to be!
how on earth can u become addicted to these substances when they are so diffucult to come by????

the easiest way to kick the problem, that is if u truly have one, is simply to masterbate every time you feel the urge to get high, it worked for me with cigs, pot, and booze, good luck, but trust me there are muck more dificult drugs to kick than those so consider yourself lucky, and sue the doctors that were giving  you those prescription two years after your root canal.
I am currently going through addiction withdrawl with the help of a physician. I herniated a disc in my back 10 months ago and was prescibed vicodin. I was told to take 1-2 tabs every 4-6 hours, and I did for 10 months. I had 2 back surgerys in between and the vicodin was necessary, even though I told my Doctor they were effecting me horribly.  He kept me on vicodin until one day I stopped- cold turkey, and there was hell to pay.  The crawling skin, images on the walls, the inability to sit or lay down..I felt like I was wrapped in a fishermans net.
I saw Dr. Richard Ready at the 'new day' treatment center at Hinsdale Hospital in Hinsdale Illinois. He was excellent and knew exactly what to do. It is methadone and catapres patches that are getting me through withdrawl; without the meds I go through some depression which includes crying jags, for no apparent reason and a feeling of 'no control' with regard to my life. I feel guilty for letting myself get to this point and I am angry at my Doctor for being the pusher that he is..
Go to the emergency room as soon as withdrawl happens or to a addiction MD before the symptoms and tell the truth. It is easy to beat WITH medication.
Vicodin is not the drug I originally became dependent on - fiorecet w/codeine was.  It's very similar only they add a mild barbituate and caffeine to it.  I managed to get off this drug.  I was doing well when I too had a root canal.  They prescribed vicodin.  The addiction started up again.  To top it off, my boyfriend had surgery and they prescribed extra strength vicodin - wow, lke it even better.
I just have one bit od advise for you that I have learned from experience.  You cannot kick this alone my friend.  No matter how hard you try.  Detox would be a good place to start.  I'm not going to preach and tell you to go to 12 step groups, but at least seek counseling...something.  You cannot do it alone.  It's not about willpower or strength in you.  This is something much bigger than one person can handle without someone with knowledge of it.  Please check SOMETHING out.  I'm sure you have tried to stop yourself (been there, done that).
Good luck to you Moon.
Sue
I've been on Vapocet (generic for Vicodin) for a couple of years.  I am not hooked at all.  In fact, I wonder why I even take them.  I have chronic back pain is the reason it was prescribed. Sometimes they help some, but not everytime.  I have never felt a high at all.  It does not change my personality whatsoever. When it does help, my back pain lessens and I can sleep better, that's the only way I know I've taken it.  I'm sorry you're addicted.  My prayers are with you.
I have been addicted to vicodin for nearly 6years.I'm wondering whether there is a such thing as being "truly happy" without help.I forgot what that was like. But I hear there is a such thing. So I have been slowly cutting down my dosages.I went from 20 a day, to fifteen a day, to ten a day, and this week six a day. Once I get down to four a day,I am entering an outpatient treatment program for two weeks. They help you detox, and teach you the best way to get your life back. I hear it's 98% effective. It is by Kaiser Permanente. I only wish luck to all of you out there.I wish I had no clue what it was like. I always looked down on drug addicts thinking that they asked for it....until I became one. Vicodin may not be illegal if prescribed, but it is all the same. Addiction is all the same.There are many kinds, but it reverts to being the same thing.i don't think anyone really knows addiction until they actually live it. I think the fear of being such an addict is what s making me change my ways. Good luck to us all.8-25-00
Dear Moon Leaf,

I was in a car accident about a year in a half ago. I am 17 years old and I am addicted to vicodin. My mom likes to take vicodin, so thats why she got it. It was suppose to be for my back problems. I started taking it all the time to feel happy during the lawsuit I am going through. I take up to 6-8 every day. I am trying to stop taking it, its almost to the point where I just feel normal when I take it. Thank you for letting me know there are other people who had ans have this problem.
I had surgery to repair an inguinal hernia four days ago. while in the hospital I was given Vicodin, which I promtly vomited up. Tried two or three more times, same result. So while the pain from the surgery is still intense, I am using 800 mg. of Ibuprofen, which works; not perfectly, still pain, but at least I can deal with it.

But my wife took the prescription I was given on leaving the hospital, and bought 30 Vicodin tablets. Instructions say to take one to two every six hours. I don't think I will. Not because of the potential for addiction, but because of the severe vomiting I experienced.

Any suggestions? I like the idea that Vicodin is stronger than Ibuprofen, but not the side effects.

thanks

Gene

thanks

Gene
im just checking this out cause eminem talks about vicodin in his raps, so i wanted to see what it is, thats all.
Since the ibuprofen is working, stick with it.
zin
good luck honey
the best advice i can give you is do all that you can to stop. i have never been addicted to it but was married to someone who is. vicodin has ruined both her and my lives. i have lived through it with her for over 7 years. if you continue, your life will only get worse. believe this or not, but my wife was up to at one point taking almost 50 pills a day. when i checked her into a clinic, the withdrawls nearly killed her literally. she lost all her weight down to the bones, and was in such bad health, that they had to transfer her to a hospital, where she stayed on ivs, and nearly died. since that time, she has been in jail and prison on several occasions now. she is on her way back to prison as we speak, for violation of her probation. she has been arrested about 6 times now for obtaining a controlled substance by fraud (basically writting or calling in her own prescriptions. if you continue the use, it will eventually destroy all that is important in your life now. you will lose your wife, your kids, your job, and probably your freedom as well, and possibly your very life. i tried to help my wife in everyway possible, and we really do truely love each other, but i cannot continue to live in this hell. she was in prison one time for over a year, and our daughter who was 7 at the time just couldn't understand "why mommy went away". i couldn't tell her where her mom really was,thinking that it wouldn't be in her best interest, so i told her that her mom was at a school far away. its not like my wife and i had problems which drove her to drugs or anything. she first starting them for back pain, and eventually got addicted to them. i did let her return home after her first prison term, thinking that maybe she finally realized what would happen to her, and our family, if she resorted back to them.this time when she got caught again, she had been home for about 14 months, and i thought everything was going wonderfully. she was so happy to be back home. we had been getting along so well, and had not even had one single arguement in the last 6 months. then one day when i got home from work, i got a call from her telling me that she had been arrested again. i couldn't believe it,i was in shock,thinking the whole time that she had finally beat it.well, now both our lives are ruined again, and i don't have the strength,patients,or drive to try to continue on with her when she ever gets out of prison again. all i can advise to you is do whatever you have to to get off of those drugs. true happiness doesn't come in a bottle,it comes from the ones who love you. i really hope that something i have told you can help you REALLY see where you are heading if you don't stop. i wish you all the luck in the world. remember...... you can either decide to stop taking drugs outside of prison, or you can stop taking them by going to prison. life and loved ones are a good reason for you to do all you can to stop. i wish you well. bye
i have vicodin. i'm trying to get rid of them. Do you want them?
bob
There are many factors which contribute to addiction and anyone with an "addictive personality" is at risk for addiction to any number of substances.  You sound like you are motivated and also like you have a realistic point of view.  It's pretty easy to stop hydrocodone actually.  All you have to do is be willing to put up with about a week of severe but diminishing discomfort.  The first three days and especially the first three nights are by far the worst.  You will not sleep and anything you take other than opiod narcotics to make yourself sleep will just make you really spaced out.  The other factor; and this is very important, is that you must have NO access to narcotic drugs during that time (and best to have no access for quite a while thereafter.  Say forever)  This means that six or eight months from now when you have minor surgery, you must tough out the pain with non-narcotic pain killers like motrin or daypro.  Two doses of tylenol #3 is liable to set you right back on the path of addiction.  Remember, the true dependency is in your head, not your body.  To get through the first week, if you do this at home and donot go to a de-tox facility, use motrin for the pain, benadryl for the agitation (or valium or other benzodiazapines if you have them, but in moderation), immodium for the diarrhea, lots of fluids and no commitments.  When you have your baby and they offer you percocet you will be able to smile and say,  "no thanks, I don't believe in drugs.  If you would like to update me on your progress I am at ***@****.  Good luck.
Today may husband of 25 years is going to quit vicodin,  we believe he taken them for 11 years.  He says he wished he never saw one of those little white pills.  They make Him happy, more energy, well they used to help his pain, now they do nothing.,  I'm glad to hear it takes only a week,  he has a tough go of it,  He has to be srong, we want our life back before Vicodin.  Wish us luck,  The sad thing is I have a precription for my pain too. Wish us both luck and all of us.
jd
I am so happy to find this board! Moonleaf you are not alone, I am 41 yrs old and have had a drug dependency of some kind since age 14 I had a surgery appx 5 yrs ago and got my first dosage of vicodin, a couple yrs later I sprained an ankle and once again I asked for the vicodin Beginning of a long story from dentist to Dr. whenever I could get them on the street whatever! Last yr I legitimatley injured my back on a job, I had back surgery but of course also a yr now of vicodin on a daily basis. At the time I was having severe problems with my marraige of 13 yrs this increased the dosage I also am abel to associate and feel like myself or what I would like to be without them. My Dr. just gave me the axe and switched we to ultram which I have not Taken! The gentleman above who mentioned that this can be overcome I thank you for any positive words are a pleasure to me! Physically I need to get off these! Mentally is another challenge for the mind seems to overplay the physical effects. My question here is there to others how bad is the physical withdrawel from vicodin or is it more mental say as in the case of Marijuana? Anyway once again thanks to those above for your encouragement it is WELL APPRECIATED! And good luck to all Prayer never hurts!
Vicodin was a godsend to me. I have suffered from chronic,debilitating migraine headaches for over 25 years. I discovered vicodin when I had kidney stones. It is very amazing to me that a doctor will jack you up with as much morphine and other drugs when you have a temporary pain such as broken bones, muscle stains, etc. but it's like pulling teeth to get any pain medication when you have a daily problem like migraines. With one vicodin I can work, which I supervise a crew of 70+, take care of my kids (4) as a single father, coach youth sports, and be a devoted husband. I don't do other drugs and rarely ever drink and yet my doctor doesn't feel "comfortable" perscribing me this medication. So I do what I always have done when I get A terrible migraine. I don't go to work, I ignore my wife and children and cancel any activities no matter how important because I am curled up in the fetal position in a dark room or bent over the toilet puking because of the resulting nausea. Whenever I can get vicodin from a friend, I do because I can live a somewhat normal life. When will the medical community realize that not all people are junkies just because they ask about a supervised pain medication program. We just want to be normal and have a good and relatively pain free life with our families.
i have actually been on vicodin es for about one year and just when i think i will quit i just get started all over again so i guess i have decided to get treatment and pray that this is the answer to my prayers because bottom line i'm not the same person . i hope to god i can fight this  i know i want to thanks to all the people who can understand this wow not in a million years did i think it would or could happen to me god bless us all .
I need someones help and advice... I have been hooked for 7 months now . and I am down to my last 3 pills... I have a perscription I can fill every week but its only 15 pills.. I had a friend bring me 500 number 7.5's and they are almost gone. I am afraid to let my husband and family know. It was so easy to be addicted, It gave me energy and pure happiness( so I thought)  Always in a good mood.  Please pray for my recovery as I have 5 children and am scared to be without them.. so afraid I am contemplating on how to get more from my dr. at once.   Please someone here my crys. I have noone to turn too because noone knows.   Sept 25, 2000.   my email is bettykitch @ aol.com
Iam also addicted to vicodin for 3 year due to back problems after my 2nd son. I was on it when I became pregnant with my 3rd son.The Doctors asured me a small amout that I had in my system would not hurt, If you continue to take it throughout your pregnancy, the baby would be born addicted. I was only taking 4or5 reg. strenght then, after my 3rd son was born I started out again w/4 or 5 , then I would take 2 at a time 4 times a day, now I take 10 or 12 xtra strenght a day. The more you take the more you need.It was very easy to give up for my unborn baby. I did not become sick, but now is a different story, I had to stop for 2 days, because I ran out. It was so bad. If you do become pregnant and stop, I know the first thing after you have your baby, you think"PAIN PILLS!PAIN PILLS!because you get them. Please, the best thing you can do is take them while your in the hospital,but when you go home, no more. Believe me when I say "easier said than done". I wish you the best of luck.
im am addicted and i love it so much
I would like to know if you can smoke vicodin
I don't want to go in to a detox, I just can't!!  I have gotten off it before, but it was painful and horrible.  Why I keep doing this to myself I do not know!
Can anyone reccomMend a health food tea or some other detox drink or formula to get it out of my system quicker so I can get back to life?
Sincerely,
SCARED
I AM NOW GOING THRU IT AND NEED SOME INPUT
MT
hi, ive been hooked on vicodin since 1995. im taking like up to 20 sometimes 30 a day... regular  strength.   not every day though.. im having a hard time stopping. i know what it is like. trust me.. if  find help, please let me know how u did it.. i cant seem to stop, but i really want to. i know how bad the tylenol can harm your liver.. im concerned about that alot.  i want to stop before its to late. im scared... anybody can help, please let me know. thanks. mt
MT
hi, ive been hooked on vicodin since 1995. im taking like up to 20 sometimes 30 a day... regular  strength.   not every day though.. im having a hard time stopping. i know what it is like. trust me.. if  find help, please let me know how u did it.. i cant seem to stop, but i really want to. i know how bad the tylenol can harm your liver.. im concerned about that alot.  i want to stop before its to late. im scared... anybody can help, please let me know. thanks. mt  ***@****
The problem with Vicodin or any other medication is that it covers the pain underneath. and the ism in addiction.

Any twelve step program can help with ism, depending what your true addition is. I feel for you very much, as I know about addiction and addictive behavior.An addiction specialist can also analyze the underneath cause and refer you. It could be of great help.

I hope that this will help a little.
I have been an addiction counselor for the past 11 years.  I found your message because I recently had major surgery and was prescribed vicodin upon my return home.
   I agree with the previous post that recommended getting help in order to quit.  It can be as easy as finding a 12-step group in your local yellow pages.  You can also find in the yellow pages listings of recovery programs.  Someone will talk to you before you enter, in order to help you decide what you need.  Good luck, Moon Leaf.
Clay
yeah im currently smokin herb and puttin vicodin (crushed) on top of my marijuana i was wondering what it does so please answer thank you.
I to have been addicted to vicodin.  I had a total hip and femur replacement.  of course I was eating vicodin like candy 6-8 tablets a day then up to 10.....2 years later I still am trying to get off them.  I continually have pain but yet, the vicodin no longer work and the doctor will not prescribe any thing stronger which maybe would help me not that 6-8 tablets I don;t know what to do.
dear moonleaf,
what are the effects of vicoden what does it do? what do u feel when u take it? i know it makes u happy but is it similar to any other narcotic?
dear moonleaf,
I TAKE MY BROTHER  MY  MOM MY OWN  AND I JONES DESPRETLY FOR THE THE NEXT ONE   I DONT THINK I AN ADDICT BUT WHEN I DONT HAVE ANY  I SO DOWN DO YOU THINK  THAT COULD BE. COMING TO BE SOMEWHAT  OF DEPENDENT ON I

T LET ME NO. KAREN,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dear Moonleaf, I strongly disagree with the response made by EdD
in regards to stopping not being dangerous. I am on a program myself right now of weaning off, all supervised by my doctor.
If you abruptly stop, you could experience seizures and/or convulsions. If you are going to stop on your own, you MUST
wean off SLOWLY. It depends on how much you are taking as to how much to wean off and at what time intervals. I was taking as many as 16 ZYDONE a day which are equivalent to 32 regular Vicodin only with much less acetomenaphen, which is what taxes your liver and kidneys. Some doctors will prescribe and anticonvulsant in addition to your weaning program. At present I am now down to 10 per day. I am cutting down by 1/2 every 3-4 days. I feel a bit of withdrawels even with that small amount. You MUST WANT TO QUIT.
Without a desire to stop, you will not make it. Support, as EdD said, is also highly recommended. As for me, I look to my Lord for my strength for I can do all things through Christ Jesus.
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! I'm on my way and each week I feel a little clearer headed. My doctors have all told me that hydrocodone (vicodin) is JUST AS ADDICTING AND HARD TO QUIT AS HERION, FOR REAL!! I don't say this to frighten you, but to inform you of the facts. I will say this though: Vicodin in high doses over a long period can destroy your liver and kidneys. Ask your doctor to have a liver enzyme test as well as a test for your kidneys. This drug is amazingly addicitive, seductive, and dangerous. Take it from someone who has taken a lot, I mean a lot. I'm going to make it though. This I am certain of. If you really want to quit, you will. Get a doctor to supervise this though. Unless you want to go to rehab, which most don't. You are in my prayers. God bless all of you!
I have been on vicodin for 3 months and now was taking 6 tabs a day..I have been feeling the effects and liking it......I stopped 3 days ago....please tell me some of the withdrawal symptoms of this drug ..I am not sure if I am hooked or not..
I just had two root canals in the last two days..THE PAIN WAS EXTREME, and when i had to go into the dentist office today, on an emergency visit to remove the temporary filling to relieve the pressure, and my dentist offered to prescribe a pain reliever..he offered me tylenol with codiene, but i said "NO" give me vicodin...Im on my second pill in 6 hours and boy i dont feel any pain, and im happy..QUIT YOUR WHINING PEOPLE and only take vicodin if you NEED IT FOR PAIN....
                           Sincerely
                     Someone who needed vicodin today
I am 16 and i have been taking up to 6 vicodin a day for the past year. it is hard to stop, and for anyone reading this; take my adivce  and dont start it
dear moonleaf,

I know just how you feel I am also battling a marijuana addiction it is so hard I must smoke at least 1 ounce of the kindest buds a day. I am also addicted to vicodin I have been taking 5 vicodin a day for 9 years I am now 21 and I just can not stop taking them. I first started taking them because I had aseries of 3 surgerys in one month but then I realized that the pills made me horny and that when I took them and my girlfriend swallowed my nut sack I came down her throat much faster than usually. Anyway my girlfriend and I broke up just recently ahnd now I just beat my meat three to four times a day thart usually gets me off.
    Well I hope that makes you feel any better why don:"t you get a hold of me some time so /I   can squirt my **** all in your face and in your right eye.

HI, I AM PRESENTLY GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWAL NOW AS I TYPE THIS. THE STRANGE THING IS, I'VE BEEN THROUGH THIS HELL BEFORE. 5 YEARS AGO, I WAS TAKING UP TOO 40 PILLS A DAY. IT WAS HELL, I HAD BEEN IN RECOVERY BEFORE FROM HEROINE AND CRACK COCAINE. I WAS PRESCRIBED THESE PILLS AS WELL AS MY HUSBAND DUE TO MEDICAL ISSUES. WE BECAME ADDICTED IMMEDIATELY. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS ABOUT THOSE PILLS, BUT THEY ARE KILLERS.EVENTUALLY IT LED US BOTH BACK TO DRUGS, AND IT WAS A NIGHTMARE WITH 3 CHILDREN. I FINALLY SURRENDERED, AND SOURGHT HELP, CAME CLEAN WITH THE FAMILY, THE CHILDREN WHERE TAKEN FROM US. AND I LEFT MY MARRIAGE. I STARTED A 12 STEP PROGRAM, AND WAS CLEAN FOR 4 AND A HALF YEARS. RECENTLY MY FIANCE WAS GIVEN VICODIN FOR HERNIATED DISC.. I ALSO SUPPOSEDELY HAVE THEM TOO. I AT FIRST PLEADED WITH MY FIANCE NOT TO BRING THEM IN THE HOUSE. THE TEMPTATION WAS MUCH TOO GREAT. SLOWLY I STARTED SEEING HIM DIFFERENTLY HE WAS TAKING TOO MANY. AND I WAS ALL TOO FAMILIAR WITH THE SYMPTOMS. WELL, LIKE HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF, I GAVE IN, WENT TO THE DOCS, AND GOT MY OWN SCRIPT. I JUSTIFIED TAKING THEM BY MAKING SURE THAT I DIDN'T DOUBLE UP. I GOT TO TAKING 10 ONCE, AND I SLOWED IT BACK DOWN. TRYING TO CONTROL THEM. I ACTUALLY CELEBRATED MY SO CALLED 5 YEARS SOBRIETY THIS PAST OCTOBER. WHAT A HIPACRIT. I AM SCARED, AND I STILL HAVE REFILLS IN THE PHARMACY. WE BOTH HAVE DECIDED TO STOP THE MADNESS, SO AS OF TODAY WE HAVEN'T TAKEN ANY, BESIDES THEY ARE EXPENSIVE, AND WE DON'T HAVE INSURANCE, BECAUSE WE BOTH CHANGED OUR JOBS, AND ARE WAITING FOR NEW MEDICAL INSURANCE. WE'VE BEEN IN THE PROCESS OF REMODELING OUR HOME SINCE MAY, WHICH HAS CAUSED US GREAT STRESS. ALL THE EXCUSES ARE ALWAYS THERE. THE DISEASE OF ADDICTION IS A *****. AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF, RIGHT BEFORE I SAT DOWN AT THE COMPUTER, I FOUND A LOOSE PILL IN MY POCKET, AND THOUGH I KNOW I SHOULDN'T I'LL BE TAKING IT. GOD THIS THING IS BIGGER THAN ME. I AM STILL FRIGHTEN FOR BOTH OF US. WE MET IN A.A. AND HAVE ONLY KNOWN EACH OTHER SOBER. I LOVE HIM DEARLY, AND MY LIFE. I HAVE MY CHILDREN IN MY LIFE, AND I DO LOVE THEM TERRIBLY, AND WOULDN'T WANT TO EVER PUT THEM THROUGH THAT AGAIN. I HAVEN'T BEEN TO WORK IN 6 DAYS, TELLING THEM I'VE BEEN SICK. SO I AM PUTTING MY JOB INTO JEOPARDY. PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME... PRAY FOR US.... I DON'T THINK THAT THE DETOX WILL BE TOO UNCOMFORTABLE, I WASN'T TAKING MUCH, THANK GOD. I WAS TAKING AS PRESCRIBED FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS, I DON'T KNOW HOW THESE DOCTORS GIVE OUT SUCH A STRONG PILL WITH 4 OR 5 REFILLS. DON'T THEY KNOW, THAT EVEN IF TAKEN AS PRESCRIBED, YOU STILL FEEL LIKE **** WHEN YOU STOP..... IF ANYONE HAS ANSWERS ON HOW TO BEAT THE FEELINGS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW..... THANKS...
SINCERELY, IN TROUBLE
As I read these accounts, my heart is filled with grief.  I feel that I have lost someone to Vicodin since there was no realization that this is an addicting substance.  Supposedly, it was "prescribed" for an inflamed uterus.  When I became suspicious after the "prescription" was expanded to include migraines that seemed to happen almost weekly,and to help her sleep, my head was bit off and spit out.  The engagement was broken off by her.  I read accounts of the happy and confident demeanor. This is just what I witnessed.  When it was ingested, confidence was high.  However, when it was not, irritation and depression set in.  I would not wish this on anyone who is serious about life.  I have mixed feelings about this coming to light.  It has taken me some time to finally get the courage to learn the truth.  Feel free to e mail me with any suggestions.  Please, place something in the subject space that I may know who and what this is about.  Thank you for sharing.
I need help. I am addicted and I am scared because I don't want to quit. When I go through the withreawls I want to die, it is so hard. Vicodin makes me feel like I am so happy, my husband had to have a Liver Transplant in 6-1-99, the year before was HELL. He has Hep-C and he got so sick I thought I was going to die watching him. That is how I became so addicted, I can take 10 to 15 of the Vicodin es in one day, sometimes more, I think I went through 150 in 8 days. Now I am scared I will catch the Hep-C and I feel like I want to die. I feel as if my husband will die before me (I am 11 years younger) because his transplant was a temperary sosution to a permenate problem. I have to say some days I just don't want to wake up, just fall asleep into death. I watck TV and see all of this horrible stuff happen and innocent people die, I think why can't it be me and end my misery. I sound suicidal here I know, and maybe it is possible since it runs in my family. (My father commited suicide when I was 4 years old)I don't know how I found this site, I was looking at something else. Maybe someone can email me and we can talk,
Thank you,
I am sorry but I forgot to add my email address:
***@****
Thank you to all who read my comment, I am so scared.
I have had a vicodin addiction for over 3 years.I wont say how but it is always around me and I have no problems gettin a hold of it.I feel like i cant go a day without it if i dont have any.I have had many experiences with drug abuse i stoped using meth and i also stop using ecstasy.I reall hope that this is not affecting my body mentally and physically.I want to know if why i could stop all my other addictions but this is the hardest to battle.I am popping up to 15 a day mostly at work to get me through the day.
IM A GATEWAY VICTIM ALSO BUT I USED TO SNORT VICODIN AND IT MAKES U FEEL WONDERFUL IN AN OASIIS AND NOW I HAVE STOPED BC OF MY OWN AMBITION BUT IT WASNT EASSY...THNAKS AND GOOD LUCK TO AL THOSE
i too am addicted to pain med, do you know what the long term side effects are? i've been taking vicodin for almost a year, i;m just wondering if i am damaging anything. please reply
i just want to know is a pill that says waston 349 is it vicodin

***@**** please tell me
HI All. I just had nee surgery yesterday and i was given lortab 7.5. I have been on several different pain meds through-out the
last few mo's percocet,vicodin,davocet oxy's ect, all for legit
pain i just wanted to know how the lortab's differ from the vicodin they both have hydrocodone and tylonol in them. They seem
to feel the same both do and effective job in pain relef. So why do doctors choose one over the other lortab's or vicodin. I know
the percocet's and oxycodone is stronger that makes sense, but
why lortab not vicodin and vise/vs just a question would like any feedback THANKS!!

MIKEY . . . .
Yes, Watson 349 are vicodin !
I started out like you; but took Vicodin in response to knee surgery.  25 years later; unchecked, I was upwards of 50 Vicodin per day.  Please don't think that you are over this or have hit bottom; I pray you are but there is in fact so much more damage that can be done by this and other chemicals.  I really don't want to talk about this anymore in this format; my e-mail is above, please write me.
Hello. First time here and I SERIOUSLY need some answers. I am not a long time addict. I have had NO problems with additions of any type so what I'm going through right now is very scary. I am 4 and 1/2 months pregnant and my doctor prescribed Vicodin for severe migraines that started right after I got pregnent. He said that the drugs weren't known to cause birth defects so because my migraines were unmanageable he gave me a limited supply. After spending the next month calling my doctor to get a 10 pill refill every 3-4 days, I explained that it was ridiculous and that he needed to give me enough until I saw him the next month (90 tablets). Little did I know what I was in for. After taking them the second month, 3-4 times a day my doctor and I decided to ween myself off and see if my migraines were gone. I had been concerned about taking them anyway so I decided to stop taking them at all. OH MY GOD. My question is: Are these withdrawals...light headaches, cold sweats..I'm hot but my skin is cold but I sweat everywhere all the way down to my wrists, diarreah (spelling??)tired, close to anxiety attack for which I have been diagnosed in the past so I know what they are, no energy, I scared I'm going to die, ACHY, everywhere, neck, arms, wrists, slight nausea, moody, cry all the time......today is day number 3 and I can make it thru if I know that what I'm feeling has a name or a known cause. It's been scary because I thought I was having a horrible pregnancy and I felt like my body might reject the baby. I'd feel light symptoms while I was taking the Vicodin but only when it came time for me to take another one. SO, I've been kinda yucky for the last 2 months and I thought it was because I'm pregnant. Please respond and tell me if I have hope....
I SMOKE POT!!! AND I POP THOSE vicodin's!!!!!
I hate to say it but It surely sounds like your going through withdrawls.  You say you JUST started taking it? Well.....

I have RA and stayed on vicodin through out my whole pregnancy.  She's beautiful and healthy and 7 mths.  Now, I took 1-2 tabs 1st trimester (and had a hell of a time with withdrawls,thats why they kept me on them, if not it could hurt the baby, the withdrawls, cause the baby feels what we feel) anyway I was addicted to them prior to the preg. so 2 still made me feel like S--t!  By second tri. you can take more.  I took 3-4.  It helped.  I still felt uncomfortable though (that was natural).  My doc. wanted me to ween completely off by 3rd tri. but I tried so hard and couldn't I some days took 6.  Not all the time, my RA was giving me alot of flare ups.  Anyways I had told myself that I would take 1tab by the week of due date but I went into early labor by 3 weeks.  But by the grace of God, she came out fine with No respiratory problems.

Doctors really would rather you take no med.s but the placenta takes alot of poisen from the baby.  If you really need to take them, all I can say is pray about it.  Like I said I did and all came out fine!
Shut the f**k up you cryin b**ch you aint been through sh*t!
I hope this mesage board will start getting used again as it benefited me many times when I needed it. I have been a Vicodin abuser for over five years and tried to quit many times, I never could seem to make it past five days. I trie cold turkey, I tried weening, I tried going into proffesional detox centers and I've laid in bed for five days of hell determined to make it and would give up in the eleventh hour only to have to start all over again. To my wife and family they lost all hope in me as I did myself after watching me for weeks that turned into months of my withdrawel. I became hoplessly addicted. After slaming my car into the rear end of someone else and recieving my well earned D.U.I. / Hit & Run, I stood before a judge who could care less if these were street drugs or they were physician prescribed drugs I was on drugs, I was impaired and I was behind the wheel of a car and he was absolutly 100% right! He fined me good suspended my licence and put me on three years probation, in order to keep my license and drive at all I had to give up my rights and allow any peace officer at any time to take blood from me. If they find that I am opiod positive it's hard time and I won't be writting this poster board because they don't allow any web communications to prisoners. Thanks to the Lord I havn't hurt or killed anyone in any accidents. I have hurt a lot of people though and if you stay on this stuff you will too! They allways are the ones that are the closest to you, the ones that you want to hurt the least, and they will inevitably be the ones that you will hurt the most. My addiction has come to me at a high cost I have lost my self respect, my business of ten years, my home and my health, five short years ago I could load and unload one of my moving vans by myself and then do it all over again, today I have trouble walking up the stairs, I'm serious! I have a wife that stuck it out with me through all of this unbeleivable huh, 90% of the partners out thier won't though and if they go and get any counceling, guarateed, they will be told to leave you and quickly! Summary: Was it the fact that I lost everything to this demon or that the judge threatened my freedom of which none of us want to lose? Or was it all of the above that has gotten me to this second week of complete sobriety I mean not even a beer. Be Aware: or should I say User Beware: Your addiction could take your freedom away for many of your years if not for life in just a few short seconds. Just get screwed up and go for a drive and kill someone and your life as you know it will come to a screetching halt, it will be over! If I'm scaring you I'm sorry, but do you have to hit the hard rock cold bottom to wake up or will you be able to read the many shattered lives up on this board and not have to end up a train wreck. I pray for everyone out there that I am bonded to through Slavery, Captivity, Bondage to an invisible demon whom won't let you go, I'll pray but you too will have to join me in that prayer for yourself because without the help of our savior in Jesus Christ you will remain doomed, I couln't have gotten through this on my own I know him now, I know his voice, and I know his awsome power to reedeem, he is in the miricle business and that is exactly what you need a miricle. You will find your answer when you have spent enough time on your knees.
God Bless All of You,
Cats Eyes
I hope this message board will start getting used again as it benefited me many times when I needed it. I have been a Vicodin abuser for over five years and tried to quit many times, I never could seem to make it past five days. I tire cold turkey, I
hi i"m addicted to vicodin it"s been a long long time for me it all started with a dental appointment and got worst and worst its been 3 years now im finally trying  to get help now, i have 4 kids i'm 40 and hate depending on it i'm so tired of this addiction, it  takes your hole life over,now for me its been so long,that i dont get a buss,it's just a craving,i take it to feal normal,i take 10 pills a day,or more,well i did,i'm down to 6a day,my doctor is taking me off slow,i cant go into rehab because no one in my family has a clue i hope to get off soon,
hey moon leaf....i dont know how old you are, but im only 18....i too became addicted to vicodin, from a surgical procedure, which was about 4 years ago....i didnt take it then as much as now, but i still remember how i loved it back then, but was too young to find it anywhere...i was hit by a car, so to my luck i had a lot of surgerys on my knee's...then, about 7 months ago i had y wisdom teeth pulled, and pretty much lied my way into getting about four more bottles of vicodin, claiming it still hurt and what not...ever since then, i have been getting it from my friends, mostly friends who get hurt, i tend to swarm around them, or i will buy it from other people...i geuss this is kind of more a post then a reply, seeing as im rambling on about my own problem.....i know what you mean though, i can talk to my relatives, ALOT easier, i met my gf's parents on vicodin, so i could make a good impression, i took vicodin before job interviews, so i could be more confident about it, and talk to supervisors more...now, i look for it everyday, im not a street thug who runs around trying to get it like some crack fiend, im a normal guy, but i just get in these phases where i sort of HAVE to have it...and i get mad if my friends have it and wont give it to me...i offer them rediculous amounts of money for small quantities...i am also curious, if anyone knows, what the long term health affects vicodin can have on the body....thanks, Sean
hi i'm also addicted to vicodin i'ts been 3 long years for me it started with a visit to the dentist a root canal gum surgery and then your hooked im getting help now for it but its not easy, i dont take it to get high just to feal normal,i was taking 10 a day now i'm down to 4 but find it hard and im so afraid; but with the help of my doc and god it will be okay,thank you
I've been where you are.  You don't want to be where I am.  I started at your age.  Now I'm in my 30's and totally screwed because of my addiction to these damn drugs.  PLEASE don't let this happen to you.  You need help.  NA may be helpful for you, give it a try.  Do you really want to live life controlled by your hunger for this drug?  Do you want to be constantly searching for it, instead of living?  Happiness isn't found in a pill bottle.  In the long run, you will lose everything, including your sanity, if you continue this way.  You will never realize your dreams.  I know this sounds overly dramatic, but it is true.  I WISH someone had told me this when I was your age.  I didn't hear it and now I am f**ked.  You will be too.  LOOK at all the posts on this site.  You think we're happy being this way?  You think we all started using 30 pills a day?  No, we started like you.  It's too late for some of us, but not you.  The long term impact of these pills is terrible.  Liver damage and possibly death from that.  Even worse potentially is the change in your brain chemistry, being proven from long term use.  What that means is over time your brain gets so used to the pills, it stops making certain chemicals which make you naturally happy.  You know how you used to feel good from a long run, or playing football, or swimming or some physically exerting thing?  Well, keep messing with the pills and your brain won't be able to produce those chemicals that make you feel good.  Then, you will NEED the pills because without them your life will always feel dull and you will be unhappy.  PLEASE don't get to that point!!! Phil
Addicts are DESTINED to fail when they take the approach that they must keep their addiction totally hidden from everyone.  For successful recovery you MUST at least have one person close to you who knows what you are going through.  This is a critical part of recovery.  You see, getting off the opiates is the easy part.  I know it doesn't seem that way now, but it will later.  STAYING off the opiates is the hard part, and for that you really do need the support of people close to you.  As long as you keep this problem totally hidden from those people who could support you, you drastically decrease your chance of staying clean.  You also should join a group like NA or AA.  These fellowships of addicts have been proven to increase the chance for successful recovery.  Good luck to you.  Brian
How rude and heartless! How do you know what they have been through!! Just another rude comment from a heartless man.
I am really concernd for myself. I am afraid that I am becoming addicted to vicodin. It makes me happy and able to deal with life. Without it I feel hopeless.
You posted on a thread from the archives that is from 2000... I am sure none of those people are here anymore.. If you have a question concerning your use of vicodin and addiction I suggest you post a new question at the main page so current members of the forum can give you support..
help me
I have been taking pain pills off and on for years.  I just don't have energy if I don't take them.  How can I get that energy I need without the pills?  Is this psychological or have I really damaged my brain for good?  I mainly take lorcets- up to 8 a day.  When I can get them.  Which is quite often.  And when I don't have them I am depressed and tired and just can't quit thinking of them.  Any advice?
Hi Guys
This is the very first time I write to a forum like this. I have been addicted to vicodin for many years now(10) I know I have a serious problem in my hands. I have try to quit so many times but it is almost impossible.
Currently I take 3 Hidrocodeine ES (750) a day.
I am planning on slowly get me out of this habit by taking less pills every week.
I have enough supplies for a month or so.
Can you guys give me some advise on the best way to kick the habit and staying out of it once for all.
thanks a lot, guys I am really desperate and scare, please help me

father of 4
From a father of 4 to father of 4, you sound like you have some control if you are taking 3/day and should be able to cut over a short time (i hope). TayDay, you are taking alot of pills every day and will be harder to quit for you but your not way out there either. Read some posts and you are taking an amount all day that people take every time they open their mouth. I took 20-30-60 per day depending on how much i had, it was like the 4th of July for me every day and had to fire them all in 1 day if i could. If you think you have the mind set to lower your count every day then try it but the point is you have probable been thinking this way for a long time and you hav'nt slowed down yet. You have to know the pills are going to win out in your head every time you want to make a change so read  the posts here and you will see similar stories to your's and it will help you to make a change. I too lived for pills and without them could not cope and could not move my body but it's the addiction in your head that is driving you and all you thinking. I probable would still be doing them but i am coming to the end of the line in losing most everything i had including the respect of my 4 kids, but they still love me. So you decide how long do you want to play the game of lies, cheating, wasting money etc with your love affair with your drug of choice. I tried to tell myself that i was not a street junkie but a white collar hard working person who had some stress and some pains that i needed to address and taking pills was a necessary part of living. That all changes when you schedule everything thing around your drug use, going to doc appt., always looking at the calender for the next rx pick-up and how long vacations and weekend trips based on supply on hand and the w/d's when you run out. You both doing the right thing by asking what to do and now you have to do it, stop hurting yourself and your love ones. You can quit many ways but there will be some pain it in and some w/d to go thru but than you find yourself on the other side of this disease and your feel great about yourself. You will need checks and balances in your life after you quit because it will stay with you. There are great people here to help walk you thru this so take advantage of that as i do. Don't baby the drug and keep it around any longer than you have to. When you come back here please start a new post because we are on one from 2000. It just gets mixed up sometimes.  
Hi Calzy
thanks for your post and your support, I guess you are a father just like me.
I really want to quite but , sometimes I am too coward to even try. I have lower the amount of pill to 2 a day, but, it always wins me and I get back to my normal 3. I know I need to do it for the love of my kids and my own life.
I do not want them to through the same thing that I went, because I had a father who was an alcoholic and saw him getting drunk everyday.
I really appreciate. I do not think anyone in this forum is being mean or rude. I think a lot of time we need people to be brutally honest, so we can wake up and make the change.
father of 4
Can you just ask your dr to help you since are are pretty much are taking them as prescribed? Tell him not to share any infor with your family and he would be should want to help you but sometimes their farts about that once they know you have a problem. Speaking of 4 kids, i have a 18 yrs, 16yrs and twins, boy-girl 12yrs and there's 4 reasons to stop right there. Good luck and keep us posted.  
i have been abusing hydrocodone and percocet for 4 years now it is controlling my life i am about to loose everything i own including my children i truly want to stop taking these pills but i do not know how can anyone please help me i need to know how to tell my doctor i need help

I started taking anti-depressants right after high school (which I regret) and I stopped drinking everyday recently and picked up the nasty habbit of taking pills. At first it was social and I felt like I had accomplished not drinking, but now that Ive felt the guilt I really want to stop. I have been living some sort of addictive lie for the past few years and Im just tired of it. Im a full-time successful student and have an amazing family and great friends so it seems selfish to be going from one vice to another. I dont really have any reason to be taking anything, it seems with my surrounds; however, I dont feel normal (without anxiety/negative thoughts) without any sort of vice.

Issue:
Ive gone through therapy, doctors, etc., and now I feel like I found that taking a few (6/750 vicodin) a day isnt a big deal and its helped alot with the mild mental issues (anxiety, sparse depression,etc.). Im now 22 and I havent up-ed the dose. I want to quit once I finish my BA this coming spring and have already accomplished so much in my field already. With the history/experience you all have had, am I just in denial or do you guys think as long as I have plans to quit and seem to have control with it that its an addiction? I know I have to face it one day, but w/d was horrible when I tried before.

Im just here for some insight, even though my intuition is that it might be a problem. Comments are defenitely appreciated..if youre going to be insulting, dont bother.
I've been in Vicodin for 1 year. I was taken 7-8 750 daily sometimes more. I've been able to reduce to 4 pills daily. I am terrified. I am cutting them in half so I don’t even get high. I pray to God many times a day to take this addiction away from my life. My husband thinks that I quit. He does not understand that this is decease. I have a 4 year old that needs her mommy to be healthy. I am putting my life in Gods hand.
Please, please, go back to where all the posts are and select the  "post a question" and start a new post. You both are on a post started in "1999". People will not look here so if you want some help or ideas, start a new post. I will be watching for it. Good Luck
I am not an addict, however, my wife is. She is currently in a detox program for taking around 30 (that I know about) vicodin a day.I new that she was talking a lot of pills for the last year but thought she needed them because she is s/p cervical fusion back in January 07. She was getting rx from docs but the amount would not be enough so she started buying pills from someone we know off the street. We are a upper middle class family with 2 chlidren and I never thought this could happen to us. She is such a wonderful person, just hard to fathom that it could take control of someone like her. I really noticed a problem in Aug 07. She started pulsing more and more money from different accounts and started draining them very quickly. She would take the money from accounts that we do not ever touch so I really did not see for a few months.When I would talk to her about the meds, she would get very defensive and turn the problem around that I was not supporting her properly. It finally came to a head around two weeks ago. I finally looked at all the accounts. She had been taking out around 2500 a month to buy pills. She told me that she woujld stop got very defensive and just acted like Sooooo what do you want me to do. also tried to convience me that not all the money went to drugs . Well we had a vacation last week and I knew that she needed the pills to get through (still thinking she is only taking 10-15) so i told her to get some pill for the trip but that when we got back we needed to figure out what to do. ( The whole time she was on these it never looked liked she was high just looked normal) Well on Sat. before we got back I woke up and justed asked her has she been watching what she had been taking. She said that she just ran out. She told me that she had 142 pills for the trip. That means she ran through those pills in 6 days. At this point it really for some reason just hit home for me that we really have a problem and that Im losing my wife and my kids are losing there mother. I did get her in an inpatient rehab yesterday and that was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. It was terrible, everything about it, the people, the staff, the place really freaked me out. I actually turned around several time to go and get her out. Well this is when I really found out what was going on. I had her cell phone and she recieved a text message from the person suppling her. they were asking does she still need another 100 today. I then started reading all the text messages that she did not delete and really realized how bad the problem is and I broke down right then and there. I have not cried like that since my parent got a divorce 20 years ago. Please pray for my wife and my family. I do believe she is strong enough to get off this stuff, she went in on her own and knows that she has to stop. She means everything to me, however, If she does not get through this and continues on her path of destruction I dont know what I will do. I have to protect my children. Any advise would be great.
My Boyfriend needs help! I want to help him but i know that in order to quit something you have to be able to want to quit and help yourself first. When he is on vicodin he crys to me and tells me how he wants to quit and he needs my help, not to mention he is only 21 years old taking 9 to 20 some a day. It varys depending on how much money he has that day. I tell him that i want to help but, heres the thing, when he is on vicodin he does say that he wants to quit and he crys about how it's ****ing up his life and our relationship, but as soon as he doesn't have the vicodin and he knows that he could get it in just one phone call he says that he doesn't want to quit anymore. I know it's the fact he is an addict, but he needs help bad and i need help trying to find the help he needs.

Thank you,

Very concerned girlfriend!
This is a very old post from 1999. To get a better response to your question, you may want to go to the top and click "Ask a Question" and start a new post. You may suggest your b/f reading here as well, all age groups here with same problems. Good luck
i love my things
im hooked on vicodine and have been for about two years.  when i found out my husband was i tried to stop him him, but this didnt work.  i even tried to control him.  he refused to quit so i said cant beat them so join them.  that was the biggest mistake of my life.  everyday we both have got to have them, but sometimes im so tired of throwing my money away on them. it makes me sick to my stomach, but when i get them i cant wait to take them!  i know in my heart i need to stop because my body wont be able to take it no more.  i wish we could take a vitiman that would make us feel gool like that, but not hurt us. im on pills right now and feel great, but when i get up in the morning the same starts all over again take my vicodine just to get moving and feel good.  i dont know when i will take that step to stop, but when i do i will feel so much better and have money.  i just wish it wasnt so hard to stop.
This is an old thread hon.Go to the top of the page and hit 'post a question' and start your own ,you will get more responses that way.It also helps if you include how much you have been taking a day and for how long.Welcome to the forum,lots of help and support here so keep posting.Congratulations on your decision to take your life back....Kim
Hi and welcome    We all do want to hear your story and we want to help you in any way we can.  This is a very old thread.  Copy and paste what you wrote and go to the top of the page and put it in post a question.  That way more people will see your post and they will have a chance to reply

Lisa
Jacksonville,FL
THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST PART OF MY LIFE SINCE IVE BEEN TAKING VS FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS. I TOLD MYSELF IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM JOIN THEM. WHAT A STUPID ***** I WAS.  I COULDNT CONTROL MY HUSBAND SO THATS WHAT I DID.  IM NOT SAYING I DONT LIKE THEM BECAUSE I DO.  I JUST HATE SPENDING THE MONEY.  I WANT OFF OF THEM BUT WHEN I GET SOME I WANT THEM.  I PRAY EVERY NIGHT FOR THIS TO COME TO AN END AND BEGIN A NEW A BETTER LIFE.  I CANT REALLY TALK TO KNOW ONE IN MY FAMILY JUST MY HUSBAND BECAUSE HES IN THE SAME SITUATION, BUT WHEN U DO TRY TO REACH OUT FOR HELP YOU GET REJECTED AND TORN DOWN.  THIS MAKES IT WORSE AND WANT YOUR FIX.  I WISH MY FAMILY WOULD EDUCATE THEMSELVES SO THEY UNDERSTAND THE ADDICTION AND HELP ME FIGHT THIS BATTLE.  BUT UNTIL THEN IM GONNA CONTINUE THE RIDE I JUST DONT WANT TO GET OFF IT YET.  IM SURE SOME PEOPLE FEEL THE SAME WAY.  PLEASE RESPOND WITHOUT PUTTING ME DOWN BECAUSE IT MAKES IT HARDER TO LIVE WITH.
Noone here is going to put you down hon.I have been just where you are at,many of us have.I have to beg to differ with you though when you say that you are not ready to get off that ride,sounds to me,from most of what you wrote, that you know that ride is just a train wreck in progress.The mere fact that you reached out here says that at least a part of you is ready to get off the train.You have to want this for you though.It can't be about your husband or your mom or dad,it can't even be about your children,it HAS to be about you.Our loved ones can be incentives but it has to be YOU who wants to take control of your life back.Addiction is a selfish disease but recovery almost needs to be a selfish process also.This is about life or death,you're life or death.Keep posting...Kim
Well i am 28wks i have a fibroid and history of kidney stones i take one vicodin a day since my 5th mth will my baby be addicted or harmed
hey girl oh my god you need to tell your doctor. That is so bad for your baby are you nuts? I am not a doctor but i am an former addict and mother you need to tell your doctor and get off them or your baby could be harmed most likely addicted. please save your child from the horrid withdrawals and pain. seriously GO TO YOUR DOCTOR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You mentioned being addicted to tramadol/ultram.  My advice is to get the hell off it as soon as possible. My husband and I are both addicted to it and would do anything to avoid its withdraws. They are what I would describe as hideous and very long lasting.  We got vicodin to help us come down off the tramadol because we're sick and tired of being controlled.  The withdraws from vicodin is tremendously more pleasant than coming off tramadol. Its half life is way longer than vicodin.  If you can, get off it, do.

I can only speak for me and my husband.  The withdraws from tramadol is cruel and unusual. Rage, nervousness, at least one solid week of no sleep. I get restless leg syndrome to the umpth degree. Writhing around constantly tossing and turning. Being shocked awake every five minutes so when you wake up you feel like you've not rested. Crying easily, lots of anger. It's like you've  slipped into the 7th circle of hell. The worst is feeling your heart pound just walking into the next room but THE worst of all is that it screws up your temperature centers in your body. We refer to it as a wicked drug. You go extremely hot one minute and then freezing cold the next.

The slightest movement causes your skin to crawl from head to toe whilst you're in a cold sweat. Constantly throwing the covers off and on. It's a living nightmare. The slightest noise shocks your nervous system because your nerves are completely frayed.

The point is, while this drug is non-narcotic, it's every bit...no, it's WORSE than narcotic withdraw because it lasts and lasts far longer than say, vicodin or other breakthrough pain meds.

If you've never taken it, DON'Tand if you're on it, step down gently and slowly!  And if you have to be on it, DON'T abuse it!  Follow the script precisely or take less tgan prescribed. Don't let your body become dependent on it. It's truly one wicked and highly addictive drug and I'm sorry I ever tried it.  
i have been takeing percocet 512 for about three years andv it is ruining my life about 8+ aday its the only thing i have to look towards each morning and if i dont have i really get deppressed and angry at everything i have a good job 1m 46 6)3 180pounds been told im average or a little better looking so no one must know if someone will help me i dont have money for rehab i own a house cars and all the rest of bills that come with       thank you for your time  ***@****,
PLEASE do whatever you have to do to stop taking pain meds!! My 29 year old little brother just died 3 weeks ago and my family is broken. My dad, mom, and sister (along with myself) are left to deal with the grief of never seeing him again. Trying to recover from this is unbelieveable for my family! PLEASE  IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR FAMILY DO NOT DO THIS TO THEM. IF YOU DON'T STOP FOR YOURSELF, STOP FOR YOUR FAMILY. He took a few pain pills for the last time and never woke back up. This is the first time for you to do the most unselfish thing in your life and that it to save yourself and your family from this nightmare!        
My dad just lost his only son. A daughter shouldn't have to see her dad continue to cry and not be the strong man she has  always known. Vicodin and Xanax put my brother in the ground. Don't let your parents bury you! If you have children, don't let your kids bury you. I am left stricken with grief, depression, insomnia and so much pain........If I can convice one person to stop doing drugs here, ithen this post was worth it. I will never get my brother back.....my dad will never go fishing with his son....his son who is 8 will never get to see his daddy again. GET OFF THE DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET HELP TODAY!!!!!!!! TODAY COULD BE YOUR LAST DAY......my brother did not know it was his 3 weeks ago!    
I live in michigan and i go to Dr. Laren Lerner in Westland off of Merriman and Palmer rd. I dont have to pay anything for suboxone treatment there. My medicade covered the visit and the prescription for 8mg suboxine. This post is just in case anyone wants to get free help with getting off of vicodin or heroin. Hope this Helps!
I have been on vicodin for almost 2 years for damage to my lower back. They said surgery would not help. The problem is i take about 10-12 5/325 a day and have been for a long time. I am slowly increasing because the pain is not going away and the high is not the same. I am worried because i want to stop. I had a physical and they said everything is alright and no health problems. I tried to quit on my own and i got really sick and could not do it so i went back on. My doctor said not to quit cold turkey it could kill me. Problem is i moved to another state and cant find a doctor because i have no insurance and i am almost out. i do not know what to do now. I live in San Francisco now and they do not like giving out narcotics but i kind of need them as i am adicted, can someone help me please and guide me on what to do.
Hi & Welcome,

You have come to a good place for support. A lot of members here can give you advise and support you but it would be hard to do so in this particular thread. It is 11 years old and it may get lost if people don't see it. If you go to the top of this page you will see a green Post A Question button. Hit that and follow the instructions. That will create your own post and we can get to know you. You can copy and paste what you wrote here. If you need help, just ask. Hope to see you in the forum.
I have been taking vicoden now for 9years. I have had the same doze and never take more then I am prescribed. I take the smallest amount of 5/500 1 to 3 tablets a day. They don't do away with my pain, but they make it more manageable for me. Now my doctor is trying to take away my medication for pain without giving me anything else to help control my pain. For 9 years I had the same amount, but I lost my job because of lay off and I don't have insurance anymore. I pay for my doctor appts and medication in cash thou, but since I have lost my insurance my doctor has been trying to take away my vicoden. I usually have to have a series of shots every year to keep the pain level down, but because of no insurance I havn't been able to do so for a year and half now. Is this normal behavior for a doctor to do this to his patient after 9 years? I don't take more then I get nor do I ask for more. I don't drink or smoke and I do not crush or snort my pills. I know I am addicted who wouldn't be after 9 years, but I don't believe I abuse them either. Any advice on how to deal with my doctor of 9 years?
i am going thru my 3 rd day without oxycodone. i had my back fused in jan and have been on them since yes i have pain but i 2 love the high i have to use a non narc for pain. the w/d are tuogh any advice?
I was on this site yesterday, I was on day 3 clean. I have been on vic for almost 10yrs for chronic back pain. In the beinging it never seemed like a problem. At first I was taking 2 or 3 500mg a day, after about 6yrs of that I went up to 3 750mgs a day, then I found my self maybe here and there taking up to 6 a day.I made the decision that I wanted to stop, I went to the doc and explained how I felt. I told her I just wanted to stop cold turkey and needed something to curb the withdrawals. She said no, and that I would be better off weining myself down. She said next time I call for my refill to call for the 500mgs. I had already been breaking my 750's in half to insure I would not take so much in one day. I ran out 4 days ago, called the script and they havent filled it. day one wasnt that bad, I have been taking naproxyn for the muscle aches, although I was calling the pharmacy like every 4hrs to check if my script was there( I did that for most of the first 3 days) I got to the point where I started calling around to friends that I knew either I had gave them some or that I knew could get some. that felt like an all time low! yesterday on day 3 while waiting for a contact call I got online to see if doing a body detox would help with the withdrawals, and I found this site. I began reading. I was having the restless leg thing, the fast heartbeat, no energy, upset stomach, and when I did get out of bed I was very light headed. I started drinking propels like they were going out of style. I started getting a splitting headache, realized that i usually drink like 3 sodas a day and that I hadnt and I was probably getting caffeine withdrawals too! lol so I drank a soda and ate some dinner. My reasoning for telling my story and posting this is this, while reading these posts yesterday I got a contact call, they asked me how many I wanted. I looked at my screen thinking about all of you have so much hope and how some of you have been worse off and made it, I texted my contact back and said "Im 3 days into withdrawals, I think Im gonna play it straight, Do me a solid and dont give me any." If I hadnt came across this site I dont think that I would be 4 days straight! I feel much better today I dont crave it as much after turning it down, today is easter sunday and I have dinners to go to hopefuly I can find the energy to do them. I just want to say thank you to all of you for your stories and your strength! God bless all of you and if you pray for the help it will be there you just have to except it! THANK YOU ALL!!
I have been using vicodin because I just had surgery for 2 hernias. I don't feel happy, I just feel pain, but I have taken extra because of the pain, but I still feel pain. I don't think its possible Im addicted but I just started clenching my teeth. I don't think Its hard for me to get off anything, I'm not a drug person. My stomach is still swollen i just had surgery yesterday. I took vicodin before for a bad tooth ache due to a cavity and finished it all but never had any withdrawels or cravings so I don't know. What signs do I look for?
I know what you are going through. I have been addicted for 2 years now, with out a doctor. I have been getting them from friends with a high price$$$$!!!! You know what I mean. I am in trouble, and have no doctor to fall back on for withdraw. Please help!!!!!!!!

backface

backface
I have been addicted for a few months now. I stopped for about 1 and a half years but had back surgury and the pain is unbearable.  Without percs, i can't hardly get out of bed.  I will take your advice and pray.  I need a miracle in my life right now.
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us