Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What pain meds to use without tylenol?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What pain meds to use without tylenol?

I am currently on 30 mg ms contin 2/day and norco (10 mg hydro and 325 mg tylenol) 4/day for breakthrough pain.  I recently asked my doc to change the norco to something without tyenol.  She switched to roxicodone (5mg, 4/day).  But I found the roxicodone didn't help my pain to the same degree as the norco unless I took all 4 of them at once, then nothing would be left for the remainder of the day (before, it would take 2 norco to have the same effect and with 4 a day, I could treat 2 episodes of breakthough pain).  When I told her, she swithed me back to the norco and gave me a extra 15 mg of ms contin which, in my opinion, is useless for breakthrough pain.  Is there anything else out there that I could substitute for the 4 norco that doesn't contain tylenol but is equipotent for breakthrough pain?
My doctor just put me on codeine phosphate 60mg. 2-5x day-no tylenol just pure codeine,very cheap
4 norcs a day is no biggie, unless you have cirrohsis or something. You can take 12 a day without exceeding the medically recommended limit.

You could do a cold-water extraction and manually remove the tylenol. It does work.

They do make HydroIR, without aceto, I believe. You could ask, but it's probably a higher scheduled narc and he would likely say no.

Sorry to break the thread, but it would be stupid to start a new one here!

Skip!
Hey... Got yer message Sunday, but it was 9:30 p.m. when I got it-- Didn't know if that was past your's and Irish Roses's bedtime! Anyway, If yer at work monday, post, and I'll give ya a call there...

Hope your doing O.K.--
Jess

P.S. To all of you guys out there struggling with addiction, I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I couldn't have gotten sober without ALL of EVERYONE'S input. This board is a wonderful way to maintain your sobriety.. I go to AA meetings a couple of times per week, but THIS is my NA meeting.

No matter where you are in your recovery, keep coming back! (Here or an AA or NA meeting)... It is amazing how much the phrase: " An Addict/Alcoholic helping another Addict" is REALLY TRUE, and is really the ONLY way to be successful in the long term.

I love you all,
Jess
alchemist:
if you want to use hydro-c for breakthru pain, get your doc to per-
scribe either tussenex cough tablets or syrup. this is a resin com-
plex of hydro-c that is very long acting. the only other ingrediant
is chlorortimeton a antihistimine which you won't even notice.
there is another cough prep called hycodan that is very similar al-
so.
jess:
if time allows i'll email you today. just got a new olympus digital
camera, so maybe il send ya a picture! was in duluth, minnesota al
last week. now i want to move there!

keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
The doctor could give you msir, which is morphine sulfate immediate release.  They come in 15mg and 30mg tablets.  I use them and they work great for breakthrough pain.  You are right, the extra ms contin doesn't help all that much.  It takes too long to come up to speed, I have found for myself.
Exellent question...I've noticed that meds with Tylenol cause my cigarettes to taste bad! I'm on the phone with my pharmacist as we speak, (I take up to 6 lortab 10/500 per day)they recommended not only the codiene phosphate, but demerol and morphine as well as possible substitutes.  The morphine in particular is very cheap....120 30mg. tablets for under $20!  I think I'm going to ask my doctor about this today, seeing as how I have an appointment,and already paying so much out for my OxyContin.  Great food for thought!
If anyone wants the "cold water extraction" method,just e-mail me at  ***@****  and I will e-mail you the directions. save your livers from that dreaded acetaminophin!!
Cold water extraction works great but it is a pain in the ass and it tastes horrible!!  Why don't you just take Vicuprofen?

I can't believe you guys take codeine sulfate, OMG, I had the WORST withdrawals off of that stuff - sweating and shaking.  I wasn't even abusing it, my doc put me on it for diarrhea.  I was taking two every six hours for three days - man did that stuff **** with me.
hellbent; could you please e-mail me with the directions on how to do that "cold water extraction"? my e-mail is  ***@****
                               Thanks..
Yes, the extracted fluid tastes like ****, but it's nice drinking pure hydro, yes? Also nice getting around the ****** up medical establishments pension for destroying pain patients (and addicts), livers via tylenol. Wash it down with some oj, or maybe some wild turkey (not reccomended).

here is one extraction link...

http://codeinepub.tripod.com/info/extraction.html

There are others that may be better. Search the web if you want them. I'm not going to look too damn hard as I am not doing the stuff now.

Dude-try 60mg 5x day for the past 25 or 6 years! Sick - no -probably need a new liver - yes. Sure wish I could live without it,as much as this grey mush in my head likes it,I'm just plain tired of taking this ****!!
Been having pretty bad withdrawls from Norco after taking it for a while, I have tried scaling off but still get the sweats and bad temperment. Does anyone have any ideas about managing withdrawls. thanks, mdsskit
hey what's your email address?? i have a question for you