Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
When will it end?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

When will it end?

Having started on Vicodin after back surgery, I now find myself withdrawing cold turkey as I want off!  I have been on this for the past 12 years and just the past 6 months, I found myself taking more than the recommended dosage. I was taking 12-16 pills a day. The withdrawals are serious. Can you have a seizure from doing this? I am over 60, by the way! I have no doctor whom I trust enough with this information, UNFORTUNATELY. My wife has been a blessing but as she has never been through something like this, she has no understanding of what's to come. Will everything be OK and how long should I expect to not sleep? It has been 3 days now, My muscles are twitching, my stomach is in knots, my blood pressure was up but is back down now. Thank you. I appreciate any info you can give.me.  .  
hi driver and welcome !!! so glad to hear you decided to get your life back !!! i too kept running out IT ***** !!! but heres the good news your already three days into w/d and thats a good thing your just about over the hump normally 3-5 for w/d then you start feeling better now the sleep thing well that might take longer i'm at 17 clean and i just started sleeping pretty good two nights ago crazy as this sounds you kinda get used to the lack of sleep after all the other hard stuff is over with try taking hot baths/showers it really helps right before bed time......hang in there driver your about over the hard stuff and keep posting it really helps geting through this
                        steve
Hey Driver - Hang in there usually the worst is day 2-3 - you are probably on the back end of this.  By tomorrow you should start feeling like you will live, try to get up and start moving tomorrow.  It's also normal to have your bp elevate.  No risk of seizure for what you were taking - just feeling like death.  I'm 79 days off years of hydros so hang in there.

Take lots of hot showers, stay hydrated and ride it out that is about it.  There are some supplements that people say ease some of the symptoms but at this point you are almost through the worst.

The thing to remember is it took time to do this to yourself and it's gonna take time to get out of it.  The mental part of this may be harder than you think so just be prepared for that and consider some kind of after care like N/A meetings or counseling.  I thought I would just stop and that would be it, stopping pills and withdrawing was the easy part.  All the mental stuff hits once you get through withdrawals.

This is a great place to get support so keep posting!
                        steve
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I'm hurting so bad right now. I just don't know how got into this in the first place. One day I'm taking it for serious pain and the next, I am withdrawing from a drug! How could I be so stupid?
Thank you Steve. I really appreciate it. I have just went through a really horrible three days and just before that, my father died, so I am hitting a double whammy. No excuses for my behavior, by any means. I know I have to stay strong but I need sleep. I walked about 1-2 miles today and that didn't make me tired. Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate the encouraging words.
Driver, I am almost 61 (gulp) and am almost 75 days clean.  I was taking hydros 10/325 about 8-10 a day.  If you are in good health you should not have too many of the scary problems.  Get thee to the ER if your blood pressure goes nuts, etc.  Many have said and I believe that the pain will get better.  Often our bodies/minds play games and actually make the pain worse to keep the pills coming.  You may have some rebound pain...it will take awhile to see where your REAL pain levels are.  

Be patient..the mind game is the hardest part.  The actual withdrawals will end , but the mind will play on.  Be strong.

You should be almost over the tallest hump.  Are you staying hydrated??  Very important.  Gatorade, boost, ensure, water, green tea?? will help.

Keep posting.  Pulling for you!!

You can take Tylenol PM to help sleep.  Also Celesteal Tea makes a sleepy time wellness tea that is good. Keep up the good work, it will get better.

Hi Driver - just a quick comment regarding the above post - Do NOT take Tylenol PM - your liver needs a break from all of that acetaminophen - benedryl on its own is OK, but avoid the Tylenol.  

Well wishes to you...

Sandy ♦
Thank you so much. I needed to hear that right now. I don't drink or smoke, take any other pain drugs other that Vicodin, I eat healthy, so yes, I am in good shape, I think!  Thank you so much. I need friends at this point!

Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but in case it hasn't, other OTC sleep aids such as Alteril, melatonin and valerian may help.

Good luck with getting your zzzzz's back.
Driver don't beat yourself up, lots of us find ourselves here when we started looking for relief from chronic pain.  I'm a chronic pain patient as well so I "feel your pain" and frustration with finding yourself in this situation.  But alas we cannot change the past, only bravely move forward to rectify the situation which is exactly what you are doing. Give yourself lots of credit for having the strength to make this decision and carry it out.

I'd like you to start thinking about some realistic pain mgmt alternatives for your conditions.  I have a pain mgmt journal on my profile if you'd like to check it out - I talk about what I plan to try, what I'm trying and what hasn't worked.  Just food for thought.  Getting some extra tools in your kit will empower you to feel as though you are not a slave to pain  - best now to start thinking about it.

You have a lovely spouse who is supporting you which is a big positive, you have the will to do this - now a little time and patience to help you get through.  You can do this.
It's 3:30am and I'm still awake.......stomach hurts, shakes, keep having to get out of bed to walk. It'll get better, I'm sure!
Imodium, Imodium (immodium) for tummy and opiate trots.  The legs thing is harder.  My legs are still giving me problems.  You can ask your doctor about something to help the legs.  The first time I went thru withdrawals (I did not know I was) I spent a month dealing with them and finally went to the dr.  She gave me a non addictive med that I still use.  It helps after about 30 minutes.  There was no talk about the hydros (she has been prescribing) and I had quit taking --not realizing I was addicted (totally clueless then).  

Other than that....Lots of hot baths, showers.  If you can get epsom salts for the water.  The magnesium seems to help with the legs.  My doctor says an hour of walking a day will help with the legs.  I have not managed that yet.  Afraid exercise is not my thing and never has been much to my kid's dismay!  Sweat is for athletes!  :)  

Keep it up!  It does get better.
hey littlebit ya there? just want to let ya know...here it is day 18 at 3:12 in the morning and steve is still awake !!!dam my luck.....thought i had it whooped after sleeping the last two nites well got to sleep late but got to sleep,,, on my third cup of sleepy time tea...will see but it dont look like it
            hugs to ya steve
hey driver....sorry to hear about the awfuls your going through right now the shakes and stomach and all that will get better soon !!! as you can see i'm still awake too........and i hate this part i just want to sleep !!!
                             hang in there bro... your friend steve
6:30 am and still awake here.  Sleep, sleep, you think they would have invented a pill for sleep by now.  Oh wait...........they did, never mind.
well i see my primary dr this morning i think i'll ask him for something to help me sleep !!! i know if i had one pain pill i'd be asleep but........i got tooooo much time into this to do that !!!! nuf said !!!
         AND GOOD MORNING TO YA DEAR hope it's a great day for ya
        big hugs to ya........steve
Hi driver and welcome :) I am a chronic pain patient too. The problem is our bodies get accustomed to the meds so it starts taking more to feel the same relief. I quit hydrocodone cold turkey back in November. I wasn't taking quite as many as some but I knew it was getting out of control. You should be over the worst soon. As others have said, take that Immodium and drink lots of Gatorade or something like that to replenish what comes out ;). Try to relax, watching funny shows and comedians helped me a lot and still does. Laughing really is a great medicine. Take the wd as it comes. Sometimes we (I know I do) tend to overthink things and then they end up not as bad as my mind made it out to be. Not saying wd isn't tough, but don't analyze or worry too much either.

Take care, best of luck, and keep posting!

Minn :)
Yeah, my sleep is erratic.  I can sleep for 4 hours and then up for 3.  The only saving grace is I am retired and can take naps as needed.  Hang in there!!
If the restless legs are keeping you up.  Ask for something for that.  It makes all the difference.  My Dr. gave me carbidopa Levo/ER which is pretty benign in the doses you have to take.  I take about 3-6 a day which is way lower than needed for the real purpose.  No side effects so far!  There are others that work, but this one has been around a LONG time.  It is generic and pretty reasonable.
Thanks Steve, you don't know how much your friendship and everyone Else's has helped me! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!
Thank you Minn. I can't tell you how much this forum has meant to me. I thought I was losing my mind, but "bring it on"! I did this to myself and if it doesn't kill me, it'll make me stronger!
Hey Driver - ooooh the lack of sleep, that was the worst - I do know how you feel, I'm also a lifelong insomniac who finally conquered her sleep issues.  In the beginning I'd use benedryl or nyquil to help me get some sleep so I didn't go absolutely bonkers - some nights it helped others it did not.  I also went off lifelong ambien use after I got off opiates so I had a double whammy.

Meditation and some other relaxation techniques REALLY helped me but it doesn't just naturally come - you have to learn to relax yourself.  Check out my "Insomiac Maniac" sleep journal to see what I did and PM me any time - if I can make suggestions I will.  I am sleeping naturally every single night now after having issues my entire life - what works for me may not work for you but it doesn't hurt to try.

Please hang in there in another 10 or so days you will be amazed at how much better you feel.  You are doing great - keep moving ahead!
I totally understand about the sleep. It was the last thing to come for me, too. I still don't sleep as much as I used to but that's ok. Maybe part of it is just getting older ;) Try to limit caffeine in the latter part of the day. Herbal teas are soothing. Hang in there. It will get better :)
I slept from 1:02 to 2am,  than from 3 something til 4 and that was that. The rest of the time was spent up and walking around the house. Today, the shaking seems to be getting lighter but the brain wants to play head games with me. One minute I am feeling like I can lick the world and the next, I hurt again......and so on.......Thanks to all for all your encouragement!
they come in waves but as the days pass so does the awful stuff !!! sleep is with most people as me.....the last thing to get right !!!! your doing great and your doing it hang in there bro it will get better
             steve
Driver, Congrats on wanting to come clean.  Everyone has given you great advice here on what to expect and what helps with withdrawls.  I pray for you to make it.  If you detox there is a very high chance if you are truly  addicted that you may relapse and find yourself right where you dont want to be.  Yes withdrawl (withdrawal) *****.  PAWS ***** just as bad because it drags on for months.  Just a suggestion. Get enrolled in an outpatient drug program.  you will find yourself among people who may understand what you are going thru and be able to offer support and education.  Once you detox thats just the start.  If you are like me I tried over and over to stop and all I could do was think about getting more.  This lasted for months.  The cravings will get you if you dont have support and education on how to deal with them and triggers.  Just a suggestion.  
Thank you Tom. I appreciate that advice very much! I will check into it.......problem is I live out in the country and the nearest town is 40 something miles away.
Once again, it is 1:15  am and very little sleep on day 3, but it's getting better every day. Thanks for your support Steve, means a lot to me!
hey bro your doing great day 3 is here only one mabey two more days and the awful stuff will be over and thats a good thing as for the sleep well......i'm on day19 and i'm still awake !!!! dam my luck !!!! lol
I FINALLY got about 3 hours of sleep last night after being up about 47 hours. I can't sleep in the daytime but it will get better! The shakes are going away, the lack of energy is going away, I walk at least 2 miles a day (I force myself to do this, to get out of the house), the toilet trips are getting less and less. I took nothing for the toilet trips because I have to remember EVERYTHING about this awful trip I am on. I refuse to take any meds for sleep, pain, headache, RA...........I just won't do it! This is the worst trip of my life and I want my brain to remember every detail in case I falter! Take care my friend, you have been a big help!
I took vicodin as prescribed 3 x a day for a ruptured disc in my back. I had no clue I was addicted.  I decided not to refill the prescription because my back was feeling better and took the last one Monday morning. By Tuesday I thought I had the flu and I have been sick since and it finally occurred to me that it might be withdrawal so I googled it and found this. Today was the worst, no sleep, sick to my stomach, sweating, chills, headache, muscles twitching - overall feel like crap.  Luckily I had an easy work week and told everyone I had the flu.  So today is day 3 and I am hoping tomorrow is better because I will be honest, knowing this feeling is withdrawal, I am inclined to refill the script to get break from this horrible feeling. I could lose my job if this feeling continues much longer.  Good luck.
It takes about 5-7 days to feel just OK!  You have come so far.  Walk away from the script!
Thanks for replying. I too, felt the same way as you. It is now day 12 for me without the pills and yes, I don't feel great, but I feel good! Sleep is what I lack and had to go back on Ambien to get some. I took half a tab to sleep. That's all. Hang in there, my friend. It gets better!
Hey Driver,
Congrats on day 12.  Glad to hear you are getting some sleep.  I am still working on that but getting a few hours here and there so I can't complain.  
Congratulations on day 12, Driver!
Great job Driver! I'm proud of you for getting this far and don't see you going back.  This is my first time posting though I read it often for support.  I'm on day 5 and proud of me cause I haven't been 5 days without vics in 6 years since my head on with a semi-truck.  I'm in awe that you made it through naturally.  Tried before and failed everytime.  This time took many vitamins (B6, multi-vitamins,etc) and herbs (St. Johns Wort (for depression), Kava-Kava (for anxiety), and got some Gaba (for the restless legs). It has made it better but struggle with the energy level and emotional roller coaster.  I smiled so big seeing you at day 12. Can't wait to be there.  If you can do it like that, I know I can get there!